NATION

PASSWORD

NS Champions League

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Saint Sche Batose
Envoy

Founded: May 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

NS Champions League

Postby Saint Sche Batose » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Hey footballers!

I will be hosting a football event using the teams of the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League, which means I will lock this after 32 people sign up. You will need to reply to this thread with this information:

Your nation's name
Your nation's population
The team you would like to RP as

We will use the same format as the Champions League. If you want to RP a team that is already taken, I will advise you and you will have to choose another team. Scores will be determined by a RNG and will be posted every other day. If you have any questions, please send a telegram to Saint Sche Batose and I will help you as soon as I can.

Rules:

No multiple-nation spamming
No harrassing of an opponent
Keep vulgar language to a minimum
Build people up and encourage your opponents

Thanks and enjoy some RNG football!

Saint Sche Batose
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Sche Batose » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 pm

PS:

I will send a telegram to all participants when spots are filled with the dates of results. Hope to see you on the virtual pitch!

Saint Sche Batose
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Sche Batose » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:38 pm

PPS:

The away goals rule will not be used, it will go straight to penalties and the score of the shootout will be determined by RNG.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:46 pm

Not a signup. How (if at all) will team strengths be determined, what "RNG" are you using, what effect will roleplay have on our performances (what we in the business call an RP bonus), and why does this belong here and not in P2TM :P?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Saint Sche Batose
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Sche Batose » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Not a signup. How (if at all) will team strengths be determined, what "RNG" are you using, what effect will roleplay have on our performances (what we in the business call an RP bonus), and why does this belong here and not in P2TM :P?

Strengths will be determined by the overall success of the team IRL. I am going to be using RANDOM.ORG for RNG. RP bonus will also be determined by the team's overall success IRL, and the minimum and maximum will be raised the more successful the team is IRL. For your last question, I wasn't thinking and rushed getting the signups out because I was too excited.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Also not a signup. Are you saying that you are not going to grade RP bonus?
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Saint Sche Batose
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Sche Batose » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:58 pm

Sylestone wrote:Also not a signup. Are you saying that you are not going to grade RP bonus?

No, not really. I'm not the greatest with the RP stuff but I'll try my best!

Saint Sche Batose
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Sche Batose » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Correction:

Underdog wins will give you a boost, and vice versa for expected winners.

Woryand
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Woryand » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Some recommendations:

1. Most tournaments in NS sports rely on the teams being named after their actual nations participating, with strengths being determined by rankings in previous tournaments (e.g. world cup rankings, previous cl's). Also, a CL/EL/CWC already exist; look them up.
2. When RNG is talked about, it means something along the lines of Xkorinate or NSFS. AI vs AI FIFA/PES simulations are strongly discouraged, and using "random.org" is frankly a nonsensical answer to such a question.
3. Add some RP bonus. This is the hallmark of NS sports; having a good roleplay (description of what happened during the game, interviews with players, etc.) makes your team perform better, allowing underdogs to be more likely to make cinderella runs if they are actively participating.

I'd recommend that you do some reading (and participate in a tournament or two) and then try again. This currently isn't going to go very well (you'll be lucky to get anything near 32 signups) but with a bit more research it could go much better.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Woryand wrote:Some recommendations:

1. Most tournaments in NS sports rely on the teams being named after their actual nations participating, with strengths being determined by rankings in previous tournaments (e.g. world cup rankings, previous cl's). Also, a CL/EL/CWC already exist; look them up.
2. When RNG is talked about, it means something along the lines of Xkorinate or NSFS. AI vs AI FIFA/PES simulations are strongly discouraged, and using "random.org" is frankly a nonsensical answer to such a question.
3. Add some RP bonus. This is the hallmark of NS sports; having a good roleplay (description of what happened during the game, interviews with players, etc.) makes your team perform better, allowing underdogs to be more likely to make cinderella runs if they are actively participating.

I'd recommend that you do some reading (and participate in a tournament or two) and then try again. This currently isn't going to go very well (you'll be lucky to get anything near 32 signups) but with a bit more research it could go much better.

What Woryand says here is true. Have you read the Guide to Sports Roleplaying? Because if you haven’t, I would encourage you to. It will have some very useful information. If you have any questions, you can ask them in the questions topic, too.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34 pm

Hello Saint Sche Batose!

The NS Champions League has been run 3-5 times per year since around 2004. It is currently operating under the name 'IFCF Champions League'. Have a read of the last few pages of the International Domestic Soccer Newswires thread to get an idea of how it works.

It'd also be a good idea to read the Guide to Sports Roleplaying, which contains some advice on hosting tournaments and, importantly, some good reasons why you shouldn't try to host a tournament immediately after finding the NS Sports forum.
Saint Sche Batose wrote:Hey footballers!

I will be hosting a football event using the teams of the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League, which means... *snip*

Here, we don't use real life teams (like Bayern Munich or Barcelona), we use teams that we have created, that are not copies of real-life teams. If you want to RP using real life teams/players etc, you'd have to try it out on the Portal to the Multiverse forum. NS Sport isn't the place for it. As such, I'm locking this thread.

Have a look around the NS Sport forum and get a feel for how things work. If you have any questions, ask them here

Cheers!

Audio

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports