NATION

PASSWORD

Aussie Rules World Cup I Signups thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:27 am

Kelssek wrote:
United Civil Republic wrote:Division Games was a typo, it should have said Group Games. What you are asking about is a singular determinate used as a TieBreaker, and it will only look at the win percentage against games played within their Group, not those outside. I would use a Strength of Group formula rather than a Strength of Scheule.

In the format you propose, teams will only play against teams in their group. So unless I severely misunderstand what "strength of schedule" means, this just isn't applicable because all teams in a group will have the same schedule. Your example does not help, it doesn't explain how the ties in standings are actually being broken.

OP: I don't really know how to make this more clear, the only general exception that you may be talking about is when we only have one grouping, and that just uses a slightly adapted system, but it's really not much different. And as far as Tie-Bresaker goes, there is a list that determines seeding. You go down the list, once a team preforms better, they win the tie-breaker.

And an American Football Wildcard Game is just a way to knock out an odd-numbered team from a Play-Offs system.

Does this just mean that teams who are tied in the standings will play an extra match (or an extra round robin) between them with the winner advancing to the next round?

If I have 5 teams, I am going to take 3 teams to the Play-Offs, not 2. It gives me an odd-number and we will play an extra play-off game.

West Pocono
Attaché

Founded: Feb 09, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby West Pocono » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:55 pm

The tournament participants asked you what your experience was, so please answer that.

I hope it's not this three team league you did last year, that had a table like this:
Nation Team Pld W D L PF PA PD
United Civil Republic Colts 8 4 1 3 245 194 51
Bear Territory Bears 9 5 1 2 244 226 18
Saeythian Eagles Eagles 7 2 0 4 176 235 -59

That table would mean 665 points for and 655 points against, so you didn't use xkoranate for this; as total points for and total points against would always equal.
Is there another tournament the interested parties should be looking at?
Last edited by West Pocono on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baptism of Fire 35 Champions!

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 am

West Pocono wrote:The tournament participants asked you what your experience was, so please answer that.

I hope it's not this three team league you did last year, that had a table like this:

That table would mean 665 points for and 655 points against, so you didn't use xkoranate for this; as total points for and total points against would always equal.

This is in reference to a set I did for a regional. I did not use xkoranate for this as it was to small to be worth the time to run it, I did a basic sim. Now then, the OP asked for my experience and I reached out to them and expressed it. Thank you for your concern, but I have responded to all inquiries placed to my bid.

In answer to your question, I have not officially hosted any tournaments in the Forums, but I am not without experience. I hosted other regional and inter-regional systems back at the end of last year. Otherwise I am a new host. And we all have to start somewhere.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 am

United Civil Republic wrote:
West Pocono wrote:The tournament participants asked you what your experience was, so please answer that.

This is in reference to a set I did for a regional. I did not use xkoranate for this as it was to small to be worth the time to run it, I did a basic sim. Now then, the OP asked for my experience and I reached out to them and expressed it. Thank you for your concern, but I have responded to all inquiries placed to my bid.

In answer to your question, I have not officially hosted any tournaments in the Forums, but I am not without experience. I hosted other regional and inter-regional systems back at the end of last year. Otherwise I am a new host. And we all have to start somewhere.

can we have a 'song of the game' then?
Last edited by Mathuvan Union on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:17 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
United Civil Republic wrote:can we have a 'song of the game' then?

Hm?

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:20 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:

Hm?

arggghh put it in the wrong spot edited it now
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Hm?

arggghh put it in the wrong spot edited it now

I'm not against doing it, if that's what the majority of participants want, but that was more of a Discord thing.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:32 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:arggghh put it in the wrong spot edited it now

I'm not against doing it, if that's what the majority of participants want, but that was more of a Discord thing.

ah rightio

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Just a friendly reminder that this is an interest and signup thread, not a discussion one.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:04 pm

Sylestone wrote:Just a friendly reminder that this is an interest and signup thread, not a discussion one.

Mega-apologies for continuing this discussion, but I feel we need to draw a line under this, so we can get on with our rosters and begin the tournament.

Here's my official +1 for UCR being the host.

UCR has regional hosting experience and as they rightly said:
United Civil Republic wrote:we all have to start somewhere.

UCR has a scorinator and knows how to use it. The only thing I'm worried about is the suggested format which seems complicated and there's also mention of an American football style decider, which is alien to me.

My suggestion is as follows. Bearing in mind that there are 11 confirmed interested nations, I suggest all 11 teams play each other in a league format. We can either play each other home and away, which produces 20 matchdays. Or the 11 teams can play each other once, producing 10 matchdays, five at home - five away. I prefer 10 matchdays as I found the 24 game football world cup qualifiers a bit too much.

Once the league format is complete, the top four teams go straight into the semi-finals, to be played at the host nation. This way, I believe, is closer to how the RL AFL season works.

The main thing that needs to be decided is how to separate teams on the same points after the league format is concluded.

Those are my thoughts. :)

I'd like to see this tournament up and running asap, sorry for my impatience!

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:10 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Sylestone wrote:Just a friendly reminder that this is an interest and signup thread, not a discussion one.

Mega-apologies for continuing this discussion, but I feel we need to draw a line under this, so we can get on with our rosters and begin the tournament.

United Civil Republic wrote:we all have to start somewhere.

UCR has a scorinator and knows how to use it. The only thing I'm worried about is the suggested format which seems complicated and there's also mention of an American football style decider, which is alien to me.

My suggestion is as follows. Bearing in mind that there are 11 confirmed interested nations, I suggest all 11 teams play each other in a league format. We can either play each other home and away, which produces 20 matchdays. Or the 11 teams can play each other once, producing 10 matchdays, five at home - five away. I prefer 10 matchdays as I found the 24 game football world cup qualifiers a bit too much.

Once the league format is complete, the top four teams go straight into the semi-finals, to be played at the host nation. This way, I believe, is closer to how the RL AFL season works.

The main thing that needs to be decided is how to separate teams on the same points after the league format is concluded.

My apologies for my continuing this as well, and I ask all that we end this here, but I want to thank Baggieland for his comments and suggestions, and I also would like to see us moving along asap too, I am very impatient as well.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:17 pm

Baggieland wrote:Mega-apologies for continuing this discussion, but I feel we need to draw a line under this, so we can get on with our rosters and begin the tournament.

My apologies for my continuing this as well, and I ask all that we end this here, but I want to thank Baggieland for his comments and suggestions, and I also would like to see us moving along asap too, I am very impatient as well.

As we haven’t had many signups over the past few days, I will bring the closure forward to 26 June (one week from now). Ultimately, the format is 100% up to the host, but I strongly suggest a league like this, too, especially if we don’t get a set number of teams that UCR suggested in his host bid. Also remember that due to a miscalculation of mine, there are actually twelve teams signed up at present.
Last edited by Sylestone on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 pm

]Just my 2 cents here on the thoughts of Baggieland

Baggieland wrote:[
UCR has regional hosting experience

Yes, but it was clear he did not use a scorinator for the tournament, which worries me about his hosting abilities.

UCR has a scorinator and knows how to use it.

Again, we never really saw that he was able to use a scorinator in his competition, it would make sense for him to do a domestic league first, instead of jumping right into a minor world championship.

I really don’t think this format will work for a competition like this, it would make sense to run a host vote, and then have an either 12 or 16 team tournament. With a group stage with 4 or 6 teams per group.

. This way, I believe, is closer to how the RL AFL season works.

Yes, but this isn’t a domestic league. Usually world championships don’t happen over the course of half a year in RL

I believe I have been one of the biggest critics of UCRs hosting abilities lately. Therefore, I will be signing up if UCR is the host.
Last edited by Northwest Kalactin on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:53 am

Northwest Kalactin wrote:Yes, but this isn’t a domestic league. Usually world championships don’t happen over the course of half a year in RL

The last cricket world cup was done this way. Ten teams played each other once - producing a round robin league table - the top four went into the semis. So it has been done. :)

Megistos
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:09 am

Sylestone wrote:

As we haven’t had many signups over the past few days, I will bring the closure forward to 26 June (one week from now). Ultimately, the format is 100% up to the host, but I strongly suggest a league like this, too, especially if we don’t get a set number of teams that UCR suggested in his host bid. Also remember that due to a miscalculation of mine, there are actually twelve teams signed up at present.

okay.
Ambassador To Canada

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:10 am

Baggieland wrote:
Northwest Kalactin wrote:Yes, but this isn’t a domestic league. Usually world championships don’t happen over the course of half a year in RL

The last cricket world cup was done this way. Ten teams played each other once - producing a round robin league table - the top four went into the semis. So it has been done. :)

NZ should have won!
Ambassador To Canada

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:51 am

Megistos wrote:NZ should have won!

Fantastic final, wasn't it? But the 'right' team won. :)

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:13 am

Baggieland wrote:
Megistos wrote:NZ should have won!

Fantastic final, wasn't it? But the 'right' team won. :)

yea
Ambassador To Canada

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:35 am

Three cents on how long World Cups should last:
- The (football) WC85 qualifiers are insane for lasting 26 matchdays, and I don't think anyone wants that for another sport, especially one that's not as established on here.
- Sure, the RL Cricket WC had ten matchdays followed by semis, but the scheduling and intensity of cricket make that far more possible than, say, for Aussie Rules (but I think the :) at the end of Baggie's post means that they already knew that).
- For this tournament, I'd look towards other sports of its caliber, say Field Hockey, or Quidditch, and make far smaller groups. Small sports + long tournament tend to equal very little to no RP involvement down the stretch, leading to non-RPing teams in the knockouts, or even non-RPing teams in the final. I'd recommend to go for engagement and a short tournament over a marathon that very, very few players are committed to.

- Let it be known that the wrong team won the Cricket World Cup (do not take this bullet point too seriously). Also, where my associate teams at, ICC?
Last edited by Ko-oren on Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Lisander
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lisander » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm pre-confirming my puppet, Alice Bay, if it's still time for this.
The Principality of Lisander, a sports loving, very highly developed nation in Astyria.
Disappointing people and missing deadlines since 2013.

Halaethaed Commune
Civilian

Founded: Feb 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Halaethaed Commune » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:31 pm

I sign up.

Alice Bay
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 23, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Alice Bay » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Lisander wrote:I'm pre-confirming my puppet, Alice Bay, if it's still time for this.

Ditto. Alice Bay is much more like Aussie than Lisander.
"Australasian" puppet from the same user controlling Lisander.
IC: Like New Zealand, but Oahu-sized.
Still trying to fit more maori and pasifika surnames. Hit me with some.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:58 pm

This thread is now CLOSED for signups. Now if you have signed up, (or if you are Northwest Kalactin, due to their terms of participation), you may vote for who hosts the inaugural Aussie Rules World Cup!
The options are:
United Civil Republic
Re-open bidding

To bid, telegram me before this time Monday (4pm AEST).

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:14 pm

The bidding unfolded as follows:

United Civil Republic: 3
Re-open Bidding: 0

Therefore, congratulations to United Civil Republic for winning the bidding and becoming the hosts of the inaugural Aussie Rules WC!
Last edited by Sylestone on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:10 am

Sylestone wrote:the inaugural Aussie Rules WC!

Are you going to create a new 'everything' thread for rosters and RPs?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports