NATION

PASSWORD

IBC XXIX - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:01 am

Mike West spent more time staring at his laptop and texting his coaches than he did hanging out with backcourt mate Ben Thomas.

At least it seemed that way.

He walked in to this International Basketball Championships realising he had enormous shoes to fill, and not just because he was the son of coaching legend Henry West. He also played shooting guard, the same position as former Stars hoops legend Chris Draden.

The fact that Sarzonia's basketball higher ups retired the number 10 in Draden's honour, despite Mike West's best efforts to drag the number out of mothballs, was proof of how large the shadow Draden cast over Stars basketball.

Mike West's position as Henry West's son, even though he was the youngest of three West children and older sister Carly was an accomplished coach in her own right, gave him added responsibilities. He pored over game film like he used to at Henry's knee as a kid.

This time, he was paying close attention to scouting reports for Delaclava. There was going to be a decided height advantage in favour of the Stars except at the centre position. Even then, Sarzonia was definitely built for establishing inside presence and rebounding. If the game proved to be a low scoring contest, that would clearly favour the Stars.

Mike West texted Thomas because he knew Ben loved the transition game and loved to hit the three. He remembered seeing Thomas's eyes light up when he tallied about the four-point line in Newmanistan. He remembered the extra time Thomas spent in the gym firing from four, until security kicked him out of the practice court inside The Palestra.

"Shit, you serious?" Thomas texted back.

"Yes," Mike West texted. "If we play fast break transition basketball, it'll play right into the Phoenixes' hands."

"Fuck," Thomas texted back. That was one difference between this Stars team and all the previous iterations, be they under Henry West or Matt Walton. Those teams had established veterans who knew how to adapt to various situations. This team was different. Thomas Manningham was not new to coaching, but he was new to international competition. So was everyone else affiliated with the Stars.

This was going to be different.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:40 pm

Oluwasegun Tionge Announces Intentions to Play for Banijan National Team
Oluwasegun Tionge is a 7-4 center out of the Banijan neighborhood of the Kalactanian capital Gold Coast. The Center is a dual national that is one of the top prospects who emerges out of the University of Coffs Harbour. His dad is a former player out of a small college in Loyola, Banija. His mom meanwhile is a woman that moved from Busakuma, Banija when she was 3, she moved to Gold Coast and married Tionge. Tionge is a center that has lots of skill from the post and can block almost any shot. Tionge takes up a large amount of spot in the paint and has a great wingspan. Tionge has announced that he will enter the NKBL draft, however he wants to play for the Banijan national team when he is older because both of his parents were born there and he believes he can take his talent further there. Tionge put up stats of 27 points, 13 rebounds and 4 assists. In addition, he was also one of the best defensive players in the entire draft this year by putting up 3 blocks per game against some of the best collegiate centers from all of Northwest Kalactin. His parents claim that they will support any decision that Oluwasegun decides to make stating that “we trust Oluwasegun will make the best decision for himself regardless of the situation”.

His coach from Coffs University says that “It is regrettable that Oluwasegun has decided to not play for our wonderful nation however, he is a great player regardless and will succeed wherever he plays.”

The coach of the assistant of the Kalactanian National Team says that “I would love to see Oluwasegun play in a Kalactanian Uniform but it is up to him to decide what he does with his career.

Oluwasegun had this to say about others that don’t want him out of Northwest Kalactin, “I believe that Northwest Kalactin is a great country when it comes to playing basketball, however I would like to play for a world powerhouse like Banija. They will greatly help my player development and help me become the best version of me. I think that me playing for the nation if my parents shows great loyalty to them and the nation of Banija.”

In a Sporting News Kalactin interview he was asked about why he wouldn’t want to play in Northwest Kalactin.
“So why is Banija a better choice than you than Northwest Kalactin, Northwest Kalactin has shown they can develop centers to the best of their abilities?”

“Well I think that Northwest Kalactin is great at developing skilled players, however they have shown struggle in recent editions of the International Basketball Championships that Banija has not. They also do not have the same social equality as Banija does. I feel like a Black Kalactanian player has a lower chance of making it in the league as a white player does. It may not be because of racial inequality but there is a majority of White Kalactanian players in the NKBL.”
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

The Andromeda Island Group
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Island Group » Fri May 01, 2020 1:30 am

Andromeda Eagles Exhibition
Earl Simmons Arena
The University of Olympia
The Saturday before MD1.
12:55 pm

With the first half of an inter-squad exhibition nearly complete, Team Red leads Team Blue 51-49. Team Red consists of the Eagle Players from Joppa & the Big Island – The Southern and Eastern Regions. Team Blue is made up of the players from the Northern and Western Regions: Syracuse, Andromeda City, Angeles City & Silla. Shawanda Brownlee, the Center for Team Red, attempts her second free throw. There are five seconds left on the clock.

Brownlee made her first free throw. She shoots her second foul shot.

CLANK.

Jane Russell grabs the rebound. She throws a baseball pass to Sadie Smith, who’s under the basket by herself. Smith passes up an easy layup, dishing the ball out to Rosie Johnson, who spots up for a jumper just behind the foul line.

SWISH.

The first half concludes with the game tied at 51 apiece.

Mase Gumbel struggles to get a quick interview with Eagles Head Coach Steevie Payton. The fans are cheering as the players and assistant coaches head to the locker room.

“So, Coach Payton, can you give us an assessment of the Eagles?”

“Sure, Mase. As you just saw, we have a lot of talent on this team. We’re getting used to each other, getting prepared for the 29th IBC, and we’re having a lot of fun doing it.”

“So, what do you say to the criticism that there are no men on this squad?”

“I don’t have much TOO say, Mase. For whatever reason, the Andromeda Sports Commission decided to field an all-female team this time around. We have a good team that won’t just play their hearts out, but present the Allied States in its best light on the court.”

“Are you concerned that this year’s IBC Playoffs will be in Equestria?”

“Not at all, Mase. Our country has had good relations with Equestria and… really most of the nations in the IBC this time around.”

“Have you thought about your opening game against the Royals?”

“The #1-ranked two-time former Champions. It’s definitely going to be a challenge, but with Eagle Fans behind us, I think we’ve got a shooter’s chance against anybody.”

“And how about the second half today?”

“We’re just letting the girls have some fun. We’ll be including some of the Lady Bolts (the local college team) in the second half, and we hope to give everyone a good show. Thanks, Mase.”

Payton goes to the locker room.

“That was Eagles Head Coach Steevie Payton, who’s coaching Team Blue in today’s exhibition. Let’s get updated with Phil McMaster at the ANN Sports desk.”
Last edited by The Andromeda Island Group on Fri May 01, 2020 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trolleborg
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Trolleborg » Fri May 01, 2020 4:39 am

TROLLEBORG NATIONAL TEAM

Basketball is a popular sport in Trolleborg, although its popularity far lagged of that of the hockey and football, but basketball Association is extremely interested in closing the gap. With a view of decent performance of rugby-seven team in the recent World Cup giving serious boost to previously-not-so-popular rugby, hopes are as high in the high offices as they are high themselves.

Our NSCAA basketball teams proved to be good for the debutants and they seriously discussed the issue of staffing the team by players from that teams, but in the end, after tiring bickering at the every level in the ministries, media and social networks, it was decided to rely on experienced players on, as the youth are clearly tired due to long season. But it was consensual opininon, that no matter how things went with the new team, we have a good future.

HEAD COACH:

Hendrik Romeijnders (46 years).

As in hockey and football, coach was chosen after general discussion, the opinion of the fans this time had a decisive influence on the result, it was just enough to choose this particular candidate.

The selection of players clearly indicates an attempt to provide the optimal ratio of experience to age. There are players in our league that are both more productive and more skilled, but they are unlikely to be able to act as quickly as needed and adapt to new circumstances as quickly as necessary in the tight and stressful conditions of the championship.

LINE-UP

C –

№11. Kasper Hendrix (28).

№15. Bradin Dagda (27).

PG –

№4. Torfinn Timden (26).

№6. Marius Ververs (24)

SG –

№6. Kjell Scherpen (28)

№ 7. Herrem Pauwel (28)

PF -

№2. Arke Aalder (27)

№12. Roan Keano (28)

№4. Theo Leiwenhuk (29)

[i]SF -

№10. Torstein Brass (29)

№9. Martin Ogtrop (27)

HOME STADIUM

Arena, as it is known, is the home venue of the team, with a 12,000 capacity.

FANS
Fans of basketball are maybe not so numerous as their counterparts in football and hockey, but at least as passionate. They already ready for a warm welcome. A group of entrepreneurs bought out advertising sites on two skyscrapers, which stands on a way from airport to the city center by road, and known as “Gates of the Capital” and will broadcast greetings to the incoming teams on them.

Undoubtedly, a large group of basketball fans will travel after the team, so our team will be provided with boisterous support in all away matches.

I Give My Opponent Permission To:
=================================
Choose My Scorers: Y
Choose Scoring Events: Y
Godmod Scoring Events: N
RP Injuries to my Players: Y, but I will determine severity
Godmod Injuries to my Players: N
Godmod Other Events: N
Give my players fouls: Y
Foul my players out: Y, but not more than two

Just contact me beforehand...
=================================
Last edited by Trolleborg on Fri May 01, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pemecutan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pemecutan » Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 am

PEMECUTAN BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
PESAMUAN BOLA BASKET PEMECUTAN

General Information

Pemecutan or officially United Kingdom of Pemecutan is an island country that located in southern part of Melayu Archipelago region. Basketball is one of the most famous sports competition in the country. The sport is supervise by Pemecutan Basketball Association or Pesamuan Bola Basket Pemecutan. And it is the first time the country join in IBC competition.

Management Information
Manager: Komang Panca Septiawan
Head Coach: Agus Pambudi
Assistant Coach: Made Dwi Partha
Medic Head: Ngurah Agung Yudana
Home based: Campuhan City Arena, Campuhan Federal City (capacity 10,000)

Players
The coach, Agus Pambudi, decided to select players that will be join in the national team from the 8 clubs that advance in Conference Semifinal Round of Pemecutan Basketball Competition. The 8 clubs are Balun, Tegallinggah, Tonja, Binoh, Pedungan, Pekandelan, Lelangon and Gelogor Carik. Gelogor Carik was once compete in the IUBC Championship.
Main Line Up
Komang Agus Satriawan (Center; 28 y.o; 1) - Pedungan
Bagus Gunadarma (Point Forward; 24 y.o; 7) - Tegallinggah
Kadek Artha Sanjaya (Small Forward; 25 y.o; 3) - Pedungan
Oka Satria Wiguna (Shooting Guard; 22 y.o; 8 ) - Pekandelan
Ilham Purnomo (Point Guard; 24 y.o; 11) - Tegallinggah
Reserve
Gading Raharja (Center; 22 y.o; 2) - Pekandelan
Made Putra Ananda (Center; 23 y.o; 15) - Balun
Putu Eka Wisesa (Point Forward; 26 y.o; 6) - Gelogor Carik
Rangga Gunajaya (Point Forward; 21 y.o; 4) - Tonja
Gede Weda Darmawan (Small Forward; 25 y.o; 9) - Binoh
Bayu Karyadi (Small Forward; 24 y.o; 12) - Lelangon
Hari Mahesa (Shooting Guard; 22 y.o; 10) - Gelogor Carik
Restu Septiandi (Shooting Guard; 25 y.o; 13) - Balun
Gede Bagus Supartha (Point Guard; 24 y.o; 14) - Tonja
Wisnu Wibawa (Point Guard; 22 y.o; 5) - Binoh
United Kingdom of Pemecutan
Pemecutan Realm
Trigram: PCU | Demonym: Pemecutanian
Capital: Pemecutan Puri
Population: 23,027,733 (latest census)

Homepage | Wikipage

Donnacona
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Donnacona » Fri May 01, 2020 7:37 am

Singh On Chaudhury: "It Breaks My Heart"

Jahjesh Singh is an admirer of failed Parti Travailliste Presidential candidate Priya Chaudhury. "I met her recently and I think she's really tremendous, an inspiring visionary for Hudson Islands and for Donnacona, and it breaks my heart she will not be our next President". Chaudhury lost the PT primary nomination to Air Donnacona CEO Maxim Durocher, a polarising figure within the party and nation, who nevertheless seemingly won due to a seemingly infinite pile of money and a plethora of candidates seemingly each competing for a small portion of the party's electorate. Chaudhury, a leading light in Hudsonian politics, seems to have not been able to draw a lot of voters from within Hudson Islands, perhaps due to her Eastfielder roots. Chaudhury and Singh are perhaps the two most famous Eastfielder-Hudsonians and maybe the two most famous Hudsonians in the rest of Donnacona right now, so their mutual admiration is unsurprising.

Chaudury's failure has been attributed to her Eastfielder roots by many- the implication being that Hudsonians are biased against those of Eastfield Lodge descent and that those from Marianne are more inclined to vote for individuals who are pure laine or "pure wool", implying that they are true joual speaking Cotdelapomais. "As the country becomes more and more diverse and we resettle more and more immigrants and refugees, we speak as though we are colourblind, as though we do not see race and that we are welcoming to all. I think Priya Chaudhury's campaign was based around that concept, so it's disappointing to see her lose to some CEO who wants to join the Common Rushmori Community mostly so that it's easier for his airline to do business in Aels and Eura and Valladares." Singh added. "People want me to stick to basketball, but I'm a role model, right? People tell me that all the time, and speaking out about injustice is what we expect of our role models, right? As long as they're white Hudsonian, of course, and they're saying the right things, of course..."

These comments have caused controversy in Hudson Islands but not generated much attention in the rest of the country, perhaps due to the still fairly siloed nature of the three languages' newsmedias. Deputy Chaudhury was asked to comment on Singh's statements, and was surprisingly open on the topic- "I'm disappointed for sure, I think Mr. Singh is the greatest basketball player in the world and it meant a lot to have his support. I don't know whether he's right or wrong about why I lost, I think Mr. Durocher is a fine representative of our party, and I think the Common Rushmori Community is something worth joining, regardless of the reasoning. Much like Mr. Singh certainly has, I've absolutely experienced discrimination within Hudson Islands due to the colour of my skin, I've had a much better experience since moving to Marianopolis." These comments themselves have set off a second firestorm, and generated slightly more interest in the rest of Donnacona, perhaps because they are flattering to the Cotdelapomais.
Né pour un p'tit pain, mort pour un croissant

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Fri May 01, 2020 8:10 am

The match wasn't going to help the Sarzonian national basketball team in the table for the upcoming International Basketball Championships. It wasn't going to erase the memories of Matt Walton's failures during the previous IBC.

But a win's a win and Stars coach Thomas Manningham will take them any way he can get them. The Stars walked off the court of a mostly empty Palestra in Woodstock with a 70-66 victory over southern neighbours Delaclava that saw the Stars battle back from an 11-point second half deficit behind physical play from reserve centre Terry Rutledge.

Despite a statement from Woodstock mayor Claudia Alta that the spread of the SARS 2 novel Coronavirus had "lessened remarkably" over the past two weeks, Alta said the arena wouldn't be open to spectators until the second half of qualifying.

"It doesn't make sense for us to risk the possibility of another spike in infections for a match that doesn't count in the tables," she said. "We have to be deliberate about trying to resume normal activities."

Sarzonia won the rebounding battle 66-49 and frequently switched defensive looks, shifting to a 2-3 zone, a one-and-one, a triangle-and-two, and man-to-man when Manningham felt the Stars needed a spark. 

Mike West scored 13 of his team-high 18 points in the fourth quarter, often playing power forward in what passed for a small lineup for a Stars team that frequently carried a prohibitive height and weight advantage over the Phoenixes. 

Manningham preached patience to his team and sticking with his game plan, even as Delaclava built on their 46-38 halftime lead. 

"We shot, what, 36 percent from the floor in the first half?" Manningham said when asked if he considered abandoning his strategy to get the ball down low and play a half court offence.

"We knew we had the size advantage on them and I felt it was only a matter of time before their shots stopped falling," he added. "If we could continue to play physical ball, we knew we could tire them out." The Stars finished hitting 44 percent from the field.

Rutledge led the way on the glass with 14 rebounds, adding nine points, but was just 3-for-9 from the free throw line.

"I've been putting in extra time shooting free throws after practice," he said. "I hit 15 in a row yesterday afternoon." 
Last edited by Sarzonia on Fri May 01, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Fri May 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Returning to the Hardwood,
by Chelsea Dufresne, Concord Heights Times

In just a few days, a big moment will occur in Cassadagan sports as we finally return to the International Basketball Championships. It is the last of the major sporting tournaments for us to officially return to, as we have not participated since the 14th edition, which we also hosted. That was one tournament after we won the 13th IBC. There has never been a definitive answer as to why we did not return in basketball, especially when the Matriarchy promptly returned to the college basketball tournament, and even won the ninth edition. Fan interest would have been there, and our players would have loved to have had their chance to represent the country. Despite that, it never happened, and more versions of the tournament were contested without a Cassadagan signup even while we were active in others.

What was the defining moment for the return of the team, now? Many believe the championship in the most recent World Cup of Hockey had a lot to do with it. If you don’t understand why, it’s really clear once you understand one fact. Cassadaigua, as you probably know, is the only nation in the world to win each of the five major sports tournaments. However, with the hockey win, basketball became the only sport that we did not win each of those tournaments at least twice. So the new motivation may have simply been, can we do it twice before another nation does it once? There are a couple of other nations who are very close, and many futures bets have been placed in Cassadaigua as to which nation will be the next one to do it. It’s been a long time since those bets were placed, because, remember, we completed the achievement after we won the IBC 13. Fifteen more IBC’s have been played since then.

Now, we are back, and there will always be growing pains when you enter a tournament like this as an unranked. In fact, the first game might be pretty difficult, as the top seed in the group, Abanhfleft, overall #7, is our first opponent. Only the top two teams from the group will advance to the knockout stages, so it is going to be difficult for Cassadaigua to slide into one of those spots. The bigger goal in this tournament is he re-establishment of the team’s identity. We are back in this, and hoping to do what it takes to move up the ranking ladder. This is a big reason why, it would appear, that coach Kelsey Jackson is using a lineup of recent college graduates, all of whom had valuable NSCAA tournament experience, but all also range between 21 and 24 years old. The vast majority are 22 or 23. About the roster selection, Jackson told the Concord Heights Times that, “Establishing an identity for the future is the goal of this team, and the best people to do that are our younger athletes. I know there are a lot of older professionals who would have loved this chance, but we have to think long term when we enter a tournament like this in a fresh manner. Therefore, I want players who have experience in college, and have proven themselves there, and can also be part of this team for many years to come. This is a long road, and having roster stability from the get go is something pretty important.”

There are several older players who have questioned this roster strategy, with 31-year old Linda Bourne, of Starksville posting on Spacebook, “You watch this tournament and wish the nation would sign up. Then we finally do and you hope that you or at least some of your peers would have the chance. But we did not. There was not even a tryout. The younger players were penciled in immediately.” 23-year old Kaitlin Benson, from New Lakeland responded to that saying, “Linda’s time has come and gone. Look at her numbers and look at my numbers. I’m younger and do it better.” Benson deleted the post within five minutes, but not before others were able to get a screenshot of it and post it themselves to Spacebook. Benson offered a half apology saying, “It was insensitive for me to say that, but I am still better then her and have earned my spot on this team.” Benson then posted a picture of her NSCAA 9 championship ring from New Lakeland University, and after that posted a picture of her teammate, Daniella Theiss, dunking on Bourne in a domestic league game. Manager Kelsey Jackson says she has asked Benson to tone it down a little, but still likes the level of confidence and swagger she is displaying. Perhaps, you can say that having swag and playing basketball should be something that goes hand in hand.

As the days get closer, we have to wonder how we will stand in this tournament. Ten games will be played, so maybe they can gel enough to have a respectable campaign. The players will be looking for a lot more, even if they are major underdog. At any rate, it is good to be back.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Delaclava
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Delaclava » Fri May 01, 2020 10:29 pm

Vana Beach Courier
Sarzonia 70, Delaclava 66: Phoenixes impress in debut but can't hold off Stars comeback

Woodstock, SRZ -- The Delaclava national basketball team gave plenty of reasons for optimism in their first international appearance of the modern era, but ultimately squandered an 11-point lead in a 70-66 loss to Sarzonia.

Mike West led the Stars in scoring with 18 points, 13 of which came in the fourth quarter as the Sarzonian defense eventually wore down their opponents with superior size and a variety of zone defense. The Stars also found leadership from Terry Rutledge, who replaced Calvin Baker for much of the second half and dominated Đorđe Zubić in the paint on both ends of the floor. Rutledge finished with nine points and 14 rebounds.

Rick Jones led the Phoenixes in scoring with 17 points and eight rebounds, while Zubić contributed 14 points and 13 rebounds and Evgeny Golubkin and Carly Davis each added 10 points. Delaclava had a 46-38 lead at halftime and extended their lead to eleven points early in the third quarter, but eventually struggled as the Stars' physicality successfully negated Delaclava's typical fast-transition style.

"We learned a lot tonight about what works with this team and what doesn't," coach Jim Levins said after the game. "I thought they played together very well and looked like a good unit for most of the night. But we know we have a height disadvantage across the board, and each day we are getting better at taking that out of the equation."

The friendly had been scheduled as a tune-up for both squads entering the International Basketball Championships in Equestria. It was also an opportunity for Cyanean neighbors to get reacquainted, and the general pre-game mood was expectedly pleasant before the intensity of the game took over.

At the start of the game, the Phoenixes made the first move in establishing the tempo, rushing Stars possessions and forcing mistakes and bad shots. In transition, they were efficient and made several three pointers to jump to the early lead. When the Stars were able to stop the Phoenixes' charge down the court, Zubić worked efficiently from the block, making his first four shots and drawing double teams before moving the ball out to the perimeter. Reserve guard Dave Savage also notched all three of his steals during the first half.

"The first half really could not have gone much better for us," Jones said. "We pushed the pace and shot pretty well. I think, physically and mentally, we just weren't quite ready to keep it up for 40 minutes. But it was a good start."

Backup guard Davis was also an unexpected bright spot for the squad. Levins used all twelve of his players to try out different combinations on the floor and give each player a chance to move up the depth chart heading into the IBC. Davis replaced Evan Galliano, who was largely ineffective and finished with three points on 0-for-5 shooting. As the "token female" of the team, Davis generated some curiosity from her inclusion as pundits wondered if she belonged on a team that was already small to begin with. However, numerous basketball legends have praised her passing touch and off-the-ball movement, and Davis took full advantage of her 22 minutes, more than either Galliano or Zubić.

While Delaclava led at halftime 46-38, they were unable to respond to the Stars' personnel and tactical changes. The Stars imposed possession basketball on the game, and forced a total of 17 Delaclava turnovers. The Phoenixes' offense stagnated; they were outscored 32-20 in the second half and finished at 34% from the field.

The introduction of Rutledge was a turning point for Sarzonia. Rutledge neutralized Zubić on defense and put Zubić in serious foul trouble early on. Zubić finished with five fouls, forcing Levins to turn to reserve centers Mily Turgenev and Didimo Debka, neither of whom were physically equipped to handle the 7'1" Rutledge. Rutledge's 14 boards contributed to the huge lead that the Stars piled up in rebounds, finishing with a 66-49 advantage.

"We're going to have to have some real thoughts about what lineup to put on the floor for effective small ball," Levins said. "That's the only way we can win when the tallest guy on the floor is 6 foot 9." Critics have in particular singled out Zubić, who plays like a traditional center but is perhaps undersized for that role, yet is seen as too slow to be an effective forward, particularly in fast breaks and transitions.

Free throws were a weakness for both teams. Rutledge could have been even more of a problem for the opposing defense, yet failed to capitalize on numerous trips to the line, finishing 3-for-9. Delaclava was 11 of 19 from the stripe, with Jones (2-2) the only player to finish 100%.

"We lost by four points and missed eight three throws," Levins noted. "We know the math there. We have to get better."

Yet the Phoenixes walked off the court of The Palestra with their heads held high, focusing less on the lead they had squandered and more on how they could avoid the same mistakes next time. In his post-game interview, Rick Jones immediately had his mind facing forward.

"We played well, everyone's still healthy, and we got to do some learning before we enter the real competition. We got a trip to Southwest Eastnorth coming up and we're going to look at all this footage on the way there. But we're ready to go."

The Palestra, which would normally seat 21,730 at capacity, was closed to spectators for the game. The decision was made out of precaution as the country of Sarzonia continues to combat the spread of SARS 2 novel Coronavirus. While Delaclava's federal government has actively provided shelter for traveling Sarzonian citizens and aided in the development of a vaccine, no cases of the virus have been reported in Delaclava. A spokeswoman at the Delaclava Olympic Committee, when reached for comment, stated that "necessary precautions" had been taken and that at this time, there were no concerns about the health of the Delaclava team.

Box Score

#PosNameMinFGMFGA3PM3PAFTMFTAOREBDREBTREBASTSTLBLKTOPF+/-PTS
Starters
3PGEvgeny Golubkin2538361212341053-310
4SGEvan Galliano1905023402221042-83
10SFRandy Price322704121341002305
21CĐorđe Zubić215120047581310215114
23PFRick Jones35613362226830102417
Bench
2G/FCarly Davis2247230026832002610
12GSimon Rybakov401010000010000-40
31F/CMily Turgenev1325000005500011-34
35GDave Savage161511000223302303
40F/CDidimo Debka602000202200110-50
43FJacob Puskedra301000001100000-30
52G/FAlex Mnatsakanian402020001100010-50
Totals2002368925111911384918741721-2066
Percentages33.82%36.00%57.89%

IBC Preview
The Phoenixes are entered into the International Basketball Championships for the first time in eighteen editions, with the final stages of this tournament set to be hosted in Equestria. In the previous era, Delaclava finished in the top eight three times in seven tries, hosted one edition of the tournament, and peaked at a world ranking of No. 8. The Phoenixes were ranked 11th at their last trip to the IBC, and coach Jim Levins is looking to promptly take his team back to those heights.

The final stages of this year's IBC are hosted in Equestria, yet most teams will have to make it to the Round of 16 to earn a trip there. However, Delaclava will in fact face the 11th-ranked Weavers twice as part of Group E play. Delaclava has also been drawn against #4 Banija, #34 Valladares, and unranked squads Donnacona and Southwest Eastnorth. Each team will match up twice, once at each home site. It has been announced that all group stages matches will take place at the Hamilton Grand Gym right here in Vana Beach. This large, booming beach city of the allied nation of Verceola was selected as a way to attract international tourists to Delaclava and mainland travelers to a new and exciting seaside destination.

Two-time reigning DBA MVP, forward Rick Jones of the Corcorran Flash, leads the Phoenixes into this competition. He is joined in the expected starting lineup by Flash teammate and guard Evgeny Golubkin, forward Randy Price of the Manchester Lions, guard Evan Galliano of the Gifford Jets, and center Đorđe Zubić, who is expected to be a lottery draft pick this year after leading Valhalla University to a national championship.

The reserves are headlined by Dave Savage, a longtime veteran guard of the Sardo Storm and former MVP, who is at 32 the oldest player on the the team; and Carly Davis, a hybrid guard-forward who launched a successful rookie campaign with the Storm. A talented crop of collegiate players fills out the remainder of the bench - guard Simon Rybakov (Chisholm College); forwards Jacob Puskedra (Bishop's) and Alex Mnatsakanian (Mersatha State); and forward-centers Mily Turgenev (Fort Tannenberg) and Didimo Debka (Seville).

Jim Levins, coach of the longtime powerhouse St. James University, takes the reins as head coach. Levins has previously coached Jones, Golubkin, and Price, each of whom won multiple national championships with St. James.

With only two teams advancing from each group in this tournament, perhaps thoughts of anything beyond the group stage surpass reasonable expectation. However, this group presents a blend of unranked nations, against whom Delaclava can score victories with strong performances, and top powers like hosts Equestria and Banija, against whom the Phoenixes can only hope to shorten the learning curve. The Phoenixes have a significant size disadvantage - Zubić and Turgenev are the tallest players at 6'9", and three players (Golubkin, Rybakov, Savage) are 6 feet or under. Yet in practices and in their friendly against Sarzonia, a competitive 70-66 loss, the team has exhibited solid chemistry, the ability to dictate pace of play, and enough offensive firepower to run away with games in the right situation. Our sports staff predicts that a .500 finish is optimistic yet within the realm of possibility.
Sports Honor Roll
Football: 2x WORLD BOWL CHAMPIONS (13 & 15), 1x Runner-up (11), 4x Third Place (41-44), 1x Regional Champions
Hockey: World Cup 16 Third Place, 2x World Juniors Champion (18 & 22), 3x World Junior Runners-up (16, 17, 19), 1x Regional Silver
Basketball: 2x IBC Runners-up (31 and 36), 4x Regional Medal (1 Silver, 3 Bronze)
Lacrosse: 2x Worlds Runners-up (16 and 41) 1x Regional Silver
Soccer: Olympic Gold (V), 3rd at IAC 18 3rd at Di Bradini Cup 15, 4th at Baptism of Fire 34
Host of WC 55; CoH 44, 46, 84, and 87; BoF 72; World Bowl 11, 15, 39, and 43; IBC 7 and 31; AOCAF 31; WJHC 16 and 18; etc. Founder of Scott Cup and World Team Tennis Championship.

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Sat May 02, 2020 4:24 pm

Free Republics National Basketball Team

Head Coach - Leon Alexeyeva
Shooting Coach - Mason Dugdale
Defensive Coach - Eric Abend
Bench Coach - Charlie Charlton
Conditioning Coach - Carmine Fernandez
Centers Coach - Rajko Ivanovic
Forwards Coach - Mark Bertelsen
Guards Coach - Peverell Avare
Coach - Tom Fraser
Coach - Adam Steffensen
Colors - Blue and White

Starting Lineup

PG - #1 "Queen" Patricia Thibodeau (21, 5 foot 8)
SG - #23 Demeter Moricz (27, 6 foot 5)
SF - #46 Jasenko Markovic (28, 6 foot 6)
PF - #17 Edan Osorio (28, 6 foot 10)
C - #11 Brandon Owens (27, 7 foot 3)

Bench

G - #37 Markus Herrmann (36, 6 foot 2)
G - #7 Rodolfo Udinesi (37, 6 foot 4)
G - #50 Emanuel Saldana (37, 5 foot 11)
G - #9 Joakim Lindqvist (28, 6 foot 3)
G - #91 Fortunato Mancini (39, 5 foot 8)
G - #18 Toby Kirton (32, 6 foot 3)
G - #15 Omer Rogljic (36, 6 foot 2)
F - #61 Calum Martin (39, 6 foot 7)
F - #81 Kaleb Jones (35, 6 foot 9)
F - #63 Sebastian Weiss (33, 6 foot 8)
F - #92 Marius Bertelsen (32, 6 foot 10)
F - #3 Tosh Rasmussen (31, 6 foot 7)
F - #10 Leo Livingstone (33, 6 foot 8)
C - #27 Rami Nystrom (39, 7 foot 1)
C - #13 Taj Mikluho (36, 6 foot 11)
C - #32 Ethan Hewitt (33, 7 foot 0)

Arenas

MD1 vs Qasden

Arena - Venicio Piazza Memorial Arena
Arena Location - Republica, Republica District
Arena Capacity - 33,202

MD3 vs Pemecutan

Arena - Fanucci Escorts Arena
Arena Location - Falatulu, Toakameau
Arena Capacity - 13,666

MD5 vs Gekkeom

Arena - Johnston Marijuana Company Arena
Arena Location - Latroit, Yorkoba
Arena Capacity - 18,303

MD7 vs Northwest Kalactin

Arena - SuperSatellite Arena
Arena Location - New City, Orlandiana
Arena Capacity - 28,303

MD9 vs Wielka Rzesza Sealandzka

Arena - Indoor Sports Palace
Arena Location - Baseton, Amolotopia
Arena Capacity - 23,412

Additional information on these arenas can be found here.

RP Permissions

I give my opponent permission to:
Choose my pointscorers: Y
Godmod scoring events: Y
Give my players fouls: Y
Foul my players out: Y
Give injuries to my players: Y
Godmod injuries to my players: Y
Godmod other events: Y (No global pandemics or other highly contagious viruses that would potentially affect any Republican players, coaches or fans or potentially spread to the FFR)
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Sat May 02, 2020 5:24 pm

Queen Thibodeau watched helplessly as Autumn Trallen's 3 pointer sent Drawkland onto the IBC 28 finals and for the past year, she could only think about what could have been. The Net Corps would go on to crush Vangaziland in the final while the Republicans crushed Valanora in the third place game. But for 1 defensive mistake by Demeter Moricz, the Republicans could very well have been the IBC champions. In that game, Thibodeau had dominated the much larger Corps up and down the court but at the end of the game, she had landed a 3 too quickly and given Trallen a chance. That had been a critical mistake when a 2 pointer a few seconds later would have sealed the win.

A year passed by and Thibodeau was now coming off of a historically great season for the Bolton Braves leading the team from Bolton, Rhio to another Rhio Basketball Association championship and into the semi-finals of the May Madness tournament where they were overcome by a Los Martires Sailors team that resorted to extremely physical play to stop the best player in Republican basketball (OOC: Think "Bad Boy" Detroit Pistons vs Michael Jordan's Bulls). Thibodeau believed that the dirty play by the Sailors was due, in part, to her gender as only members of the Salvation Circle or another Ecumenical Coalition for Morality affiliated radical Christian sect were allowed to play for the Malifornian team under the Charter Society's laws that systematically discriminated against the non-religious, against moderate Christians and against followers of "false" religions that did not believe in the divinity of Christ. These sects all believed that it was immoral for a woman to participate in sports against men despite the fact that they also believed in a "Success Gospel" that God would reward believers with success on the court. Given that Republican National Teams led by female athletes had already won a World Baseball Classic title and a World Bowl title, it was impossible to reconcile these beliefs but that didn't stop them from trying.

Following this shocking May Madness upset, Coach Leon Alexeyeva decided to emphasize physical toughness in the Republican training camp for this IBC. Alexeyeva concluded that opponents in the IBC would likely study the footage from Thibodeau's domestic team's high profile loss. While they weren't going to play "thug" basketball if they didn't have to, they needed to be prepared for the possibility that they'd be forced into that style of game...

On the day of the IBC opener in Republica, the New City Stock Exchange dropped by 7,689 points in a single day, the single biggest drop in absolute numbers in history. The crash came following a year of drastic declines in the real estate market across the Free Republics and was precipitated by Bank of Republica filing for bankruptcy after a nationwide bank run. Consul Scarlett Nicholls, whose family was closely associated with the pro-business policies of the Republican government, had been scheduled to attend the IBC game against Qasden for a photo op. After the stock market crash, she abruptly cancelled her appearance and gave her family's tickets to her staffers.

Instead, Scarlett was prepared to deliver a speech addressing the crisis and announcing her plan to bail out Bank of Republica. Then, a clearly intoxicated Consul Kyle Bolton beat her to the podium that was supposed to be for her press conference.

Kyle Bolton - Hello to all of my loyal fans throughout the Free Republics. Today, I want to speak to you about something very important. I had this great threesome with my wife and this really hot girl I met at the bar last night! Now, I understand that the stock market has panicked today. Let them panic. Now is the time to buy stocks especially Bank of Republica stock. Bank of Republica will come back from this bankruptcy even stronger. Buy baby buy! And whatever you do, don't sell your stocks. If all of you listen, we can beat this stock market crash and get the economy back to normal. Since the economy is in trouble because people are being irrational but the fundamentals are still strong, the only thing we can do is stop being irrational and start buying shit again. There's nothing the government can do to help and much we can do to hurt.

Scarlett Nicholls walked out for her press conference at this moment and found Bolton ranting incoherently. She was already in a bad move over having to make the emergency speech and she just snapped, walking right up to Bolton and slapping him in the face on national television. A fight between the 2 Liberty Party consuls would soon follow, culminating with Scarlett kicking Kyle between his legs before their security separated the two of them. All of this was broadcast to a national television audience. After the fight was broken up, all of the networks cut away to regularly scheduled programming and Scarlett's speech was abruptly cancelled...
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Filindostan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Filindostan » Sat May 02, 2020 9:55 pm

FILINDOSTAN
National Basketball Team
International Basketball Championships 29

The Samahang Basketbol ng Filindostan (SBF) is pleased to present the Filindostan National basketball team, to compete in the 29th International Basketball Championships, hosted in Equestria

About the Samahang Basketbol ng Filindostan

The Samahang Basketbol ng Filindostan (SBF) was founded after they split from the Filindostani National Sports Commission (FNSC), citing the FNSC's tainted image during the Multiverse Boxing Organization boxing tournament and the budget cut the agency suffered. They were the first agency to split from the FNSC and will oversee the development of Filindostani basketball as well as the Filindostani Basketball Association.

The SBF's headquarters are located in San Marco, Filindostan, adjacent to the International Union of Basketball Clubs (IUBC) headquarters, and is headed by Charito "Charie" Pamungkas.

Nickname: Pula Agilas (Red Eagles)
First Match: vs Ethane (64-81, IBC 24 group stage, Filindostan)
First Win: at Banija (95-87, IBC 24 group stage, Banija)
Overall Record (as of IBC 26): 27-9 (75.00% WPCT)
Current Year: 90013

Head Coach: Protacio "CIOT" Santos, Male, 52
Assistant Coach: ANITA Tanjing, Female, 43
Shooting Coach: Ronilo "MCBUCKETS" Mac Arthur, Male, 45
Defensive Coach: Michelle "CHEL" Abunda, Female, 47
Coach: Pocholo "CHOL" Lekatompessy, Male, 52
Coach: ANNAMARIAFE Weici, Female, 57
Coach: Ricard "Ricki" RICAFORT, Male, 37
Captain: Stella Arielle DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS, Female, 35
Vice-Captain: Harry Rigobert SMITH, Male, 32

Playing Squad

Centers

51 | C | Harry Rigobert SMITH | M | 32 | 7'2" | Venividicci
88 | C/PF | Paul PARDOSI | M | 30 | 6'7" | Fortunas
75 | C | Imam WIDARGO | M | 25 | 6'9" | Perotapam Massakar

Forwards

55 | SF/SG | Stella Arielle DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS | F | 35 | 6'4" | Fortunas
9 | PF/SF | Immanuel SIDEBANG | M | 31 | 6'6" | Perokojak Kota Jakulta
82 | PF/SF | Nanda SUNGKAR | F | 28 | 6'7" | Fortunas
79 | C/PF | Firman DJWA | M | 29 | 6'9" | Perotapam Massakar
40 | PF/SF | Ali MONGINSIDI | M | 24 | 6'8" | Perokotyog Yogyakulta
10 | SF | Seth Alan GRAFIL | M | 25 | 6'7" | Venividicci

Guards                                           

11 | SG | Princess CORD | F | 27 | 5'11' | Perokojak Kota Jakulta
7 | PG | Jose Maria ESTRADA | M | 27 | 5'10' | Perokojak Kota Jakulta
3 | SG | Jennyfer FARIAS | F | 32 | 6'3' | Venividicci
42 | SG/PG | Elsa PRADIPTA | F | 24 | 5'9' | Perotapam Massakar
34 | PG | Jazzer MALQUISTO | M | 23 | 6'1" | Fortunas
71 | PG | Bella PRAPTYANINGTYAS | F | 25 | 5'7" | Perokotyog Yogyakulta

Home Venue/s

ISMART ANETTA COLISEUM
San Marco, Filindostan
Capacity 21,000

The Anetta Coliseum is one of the oldest sporting venues in Filindostan. Built in 89965, the arena has hosted multiple Filindostani referendums, basketball league games, concerts, boxing matches, and Hastags concerts. This is also a designated venue for the IUBC in the event of no host bids from other countries. Located in the city center and a train station dedicated to it, the arena is one of the most accessible sport venues in Filindostan. The arena is sponsored by Ismart, one of the biggest telecommunications company in the nation.

All of Filindostan's home games will take place at this arena. The arena security is very strict and tight, but with the right price, contrabands (illegal items) can be smuggled into the arena, save for explosive devices and deadly weapons. Games are usually jampacked, as this sport is the most popular in the Filindostani capital.

Depth Chart and Tendencies
Depth Chart
The below depth chart will be the most likely used by coach Ciot bar injuries, suspensions and sent-homes. Specialized lineups may be used in case of foul trouble or a stroke of strategy genius.
PositionStartersBenchReserve
CH. R. SMITHP. PARDOSII. WIDARGO
PFI. SIDEBANGF. DJWAA. MONGINSIDI
SFS.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSSN. SUNGKARS.A. GRAFIL
SGP. CORDJ. FARIASE. PRADIPTA
PGJ. M. ESTRADAJ. MALQUISTOB. PRAPTYANINGTYAS

The second unit usually enter the game three minutes before the first quarter ends, but can enter as late as the last few seconds of the first quarter. The third unit enter the game when Filindostan is already leading by a very large margin (35+) by the end of third or if they have a large deficit (25+) going into the last five minutes of the game. Usually the starters finish the game.

Specialized lineups
Small ball: P.PARDOSI - I. SIDEBANG - S.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS - P. CORD - B. PRAPTYANINGTYAS
Three ball: P.PARDOSI - A. MONGINSIDI - S.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS - J. FARIAS - J. MALQUISTO
Tall: H. R. SMITH - P. PARDOSI - I. SIDEBANG - J. FARIAS - J. MALQUISTO

Tendencies
Due to the lack of height of the Filindostani team, they compensate what they lack by three point shooting and pesky defense. However, if needed, they may take the foot on the gas pedal and quicken the pace of the game, shooting the ball within ten to twelve seconds of possession. The team bar Sandro prefers perimeter shooting over layups and dunks - their favorite play is the pick and pop where the center or power forward screens for the shooter to eliminate the defender and create good looks at the basket. Defensively they play a 2-3 zone, sometimes switching to a man-to-man when the ball is outside the three point line. This switch takes the toll on the players, so it is rarely done on a regular basis.

The team does not react well on bad calls. Coach Ciot has a reputation to hoard technical fouls and ejections, costing the SBF money for fines. Players, particularly Abdel, can also go out of control due to bad calls.

Uniforms

Filindostani apparel maker NNS supplies Pula Agilas' jerseys, as with most of the national teams of Filindostan. An all red with black and white semi-horizontal stripes is their primary, while in case of color clashes, they use their white alternate with red and black semi-horizontal stripes.

Team RP and Permissions
The below information will help teams RP against my team in case they RP first.

Most likely to... (in order)

Score big: S.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS, P. CORD, H. R. SMITH
Score a buzzer beater: S.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS, J. FARIAS, P. CORD
Posterize opposing defenders: H. R. SMITH, S.A. GRAFIL
Get a technical: S.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS, J.M. ESTRADA, P. SANTOS (coach)
Be ejected: P. SANTOS (coach), S.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS, P. PARDOSI
Be fouled out: P. PARDOSI, H. R. SMITH, J. M. ESTRADA
Take the last shot/Score the winning basket: S.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS, P. CORD, H. R. SMITH
Be posterized: S.A. DELOS SANTOS-STRAUSS, N. SUNGKAR, S.A. GRAFIL
Get hot and shoot three after three: J. FARIAS, J.M. ESTRADA, P. CORD

Fans
Filindostani fans are double-edged swords - sometimes they are most passionate fans in Filindostan, sometimes, they can be compared to the worst of internet trolls. Around five thousand diehard fans will travel to the host nation to watch their team play - but they usually bring their megaphones and flares with them - they somehow make it past the guards. Some fans are crazy enough to invade the arena and cause match delays. The special thing about Filindostani basketball fans is that when the basketball team host their hated rival or a team well below the standings, they bring kangkong (water spinach) with them and chant it all throughout the team introductions.

My opponent, if they RP first, may do the following:
Choose Scoring Events: Yes
Godmod Scoring Events: No
RP Injuries to my Players: Yes - I'll determine the severity
Godmod Injuries to my Players: No - No deaths or career-ending injuries
Foul my players out: Yes
Eject my pleyers: Yes - Make sure to eject at least one of yours too if done
Eject my head coach: Yes
Godmod Other Events: No
Nation active only for Motorsports.
The Artist formerly known as Sangti | Potentia et Sanctitas Populi
Baptism of Fire 66 Winners
Trigram: FID | Demonym: Filindo/Filindostani | Capital: San Marco | Leader: Dorigo Dutete | Newswire | No Nonsense Sportswear | Esportiva | IUBC Newswires | Domestic Motorsports

Trolleborg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Trolleborg » Sun May 03, 2020 5:09 am

Good morning, compatriots! It’s TTV and we will talk about the World Basketball Championship, which was opened right now. Our team will make its debut in a tournament of such level, and the first opponent will be the Res Publica Nova Roma team from the faraway Osiris region. Game will be played on our beloved Arena. The team, like ours, makes its debut in competitions, has already arrived in Trolleborg and is settled in a modest boarding house in the countryside,

clearly avoiding the hype, and perhaps considering it necessary not to immerse the players into the atmosphere created by our loud fans, and not to create additional pressure on the nerves of their basketball players. Tricky move, let's see how it helps. Unfortunately, by way they missed welcoming signs on the “Gates of Trolleborg” skyscrapers, which our fans putting on previous day.

The national team of our country is already arriving at the stadium, accompanied by a huge crowd of fans who have occupied all the neighboring streets.

After the start of the game fans will watch the game in neighboring squares, broadcasting also will be made in the every big city, and some very small, it's needed only 100 people to put application for a 3D broadcasting in the open. Probably, five to seven biliion people will see game, fifteen percent of them on the squares. Of course, all the tickets have already found their owners, the Arena is packed right to capacity, and fans are waiting for the game to spin the wave around.

Our team is staffed with the best of the best, led by skilled and confident coach, supported by our amazing fans. But it is clear that everyone is nervous. As we all learned in practice, international sport is full of contingencies, unpredictability and amazingly illogical results.

Donnacona
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Donnacona » Sun May 03, 2020 6:03 am

Donnacona vs. Banija: What To Know!

For the next few weeks Bulls on Parade goes full patriotic and gets behind the Hudson Islands Donnacona *sigh* national basketball team as we begin our campaign in IBC XXIX. It's unreasonable to expect to win the whole tournament, but making it out of the arguable group of death would qualify as a great result for Nicolo Curare's squad. Conveniently we open up the tournament against Banija, perhaps the other team in this tournament we'd know best! Amadou Secka is a legend in Donnaconan basketball and whilst he's now at Summerside, he was an excellent Botley Bull and we miss him every day. Labanzi Nabongo and Ibezimako Akabueze both star in our league. Foreign players should take their presence as inspirational- we're a basketball crazed nation whose league has elite stars at the top and is shallow enough you can show up and dominate and get a fat paycheque. Hopefully in the coming years, more will show up.

Here are some fast facts to help you get ready for tonight's big matchup.

1. Amadou Secka WILL be motivated to play.

The Banijan sharpshooter will be likely given a loud welcome by the Hudbank Arena where he's still beloved, but will be returning as the enemy for the first time as a Banijan national teamer rather than a Summerside Jet. The Jets of course lost in the final this season to Trevona, but Secka likely will not face off against any of his teammates- Evan Watson is unlikely to see the floor despite being in uniform- Nicolo Curare has made clear he does not want to re-injure his star player. Secka put in a brilliant effort in the playoffs, averaging 32 points a game and singlehandedly getting past a good Huskies squad, but even in the LDB a single player can only go so far. He'll want to get revenge on Luka Kjaer and Damien Labonté, the backcourt for both Trevona and Donnacona, and who will likely be given the majority of the defensive assignments on Secka. Kjaer in particular was given the task in the finals, and Secka did blow up for 51 in one game.

Secka enjoys shooting from the right side but is oddly averse to the corners.

Defending Secka is mostly about forcing shots- he can shoot from anywhere so it's not worth forcing him to shoot from anywhere in particular. He's also maybe the world's best free throw shooter, so keeping him off the line is maybe the most important part.

2. Evan Watson likely will NOT play.

Sadly, the patellar tendinitis that kept Evan Watson out of the last ever DBA Finals before they cruelly tore the hearts out of Hudsonians changed the name to be more welcoming to all of Donnacona, seems likely to keep our best weapon out of the tournament. This will put a lot of pressure on Alexandre Marchand to be the main low-post big, and whilst he's a tremendous floor stretcher, he'll likely be matched up with Labanzi Nabongo, who is equally brilliant. Sadio Bartaba, the Banijan centre, is not super mobile- Watson would make this a liability.

3. The Hudbank Arena will be LOUD!

Let's face it, Botley LOVES basketball. Tickets for this first IBC matchup in our new nation's history have been selling for up to $750 on the black market and the supporters section sold out in seconds. There's a beautiful and busy new parquet floor on the Hudbank Arena for this matchup, which you can see above. The Banijan players in the former PlacidBasket/DBA will be prepared for Hudsonian Donnaconan basketball fans, but the others may be distracted.

Let's go Apples!

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sun May 03, 2020 11:53 am

Amadou Secka at Hudbank Arena, 5 hours before Banija v. Donnacona tip-off

Amadou Secka's shot went up, and clanked off the back of the rim. "Damnit!" He said as one of the trainers shagged his ball, while another brought it back to him. It was the Banijan turn to have shootaround, in a largely empty gym. He knew how full this gym would be tonight, he knew how loud it would be, he knew how much energy the fans would bring. But that's not what he was focused on. Getting his form down for the night, keeping in form. He had hit 5 of the 3s from the top of the key in a row.

But he was frustrated with himself. He'd always try to hit 7 in a row from each of the spots during this shootaround. A lot of players were not here, resting up their bodies, knowing they'd have shootaround before the game. But Secka always had the same issues- he'd be able to drill them from the right side. Especially when he is spot up shooting, he was an absolute monster when he went right. He could hit all kinds of shots. But going left, even for him, was a weakness. He could still do it- but he was far less effective, far less efficient, from the left side. Everyone knew that. And that's why he added these extra shootarounds. He could work on that enough in the gym, it would translate better on the court.

Nothing doing though. And that's why the player swore- he was frustrated. "Amadou, you'll get there!" Said one of the trainers. "Hell, you're a top player in this country. Former MVP. Just keep putting up shots." Amadou simply grunted. He generally didn't like talking during shootaround- he wanted to get his mind focused. He kept shooting. As he went left, he would be able to eventually hit 7 in a row from a little bit of the left side- but didn't have time to shoot closer to the corner. As he walked off the court, he went to the trainers room within the stadium, one he knew like the back of his hand. He'd rest up before his pre-game press conference.

After about 90 minutes, he went to the press room for a brief meet and greet with reporters, before Game 1 of the International Basketball Championships. The questions started flying out at the Banijan captain. The first question was from the IBC travelling reporter with the Istria Times. "Amadou, how do you feel after almost winning the DBA Finals last year? Will you have the energy to perform at a top notch level for country, like you do at the club level?"

"I feel absolutely great." Amadou said. "Last year's Finals loss was a painful one, to be sure- to get all the way to the Finals, only to get swept, is always a painful experience. We, however, have to take that in stride. Sitting and dwelling on past losses is never wise- it is always a part of sports. We're proud of our season- even getting to the DBA Finals is a wonderful accomplishment, even if getting swept there doesn't feel like it. We'll be able to look back on the season with pride. Now, of course, the attention switches to the IBCs. I'm excited to be competing here, for my country. We've won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games, which is great- however, this is a step up. Banijan basketball, as a program, has been on the edge of glory in this competition for a long time, and I fully believe that we're capable of taking that next step. We have talent up and down this roster- we just need to be able to put it together."

Then, a reporter from the All-Banija Sports Magazine stood up. "Amadou, how do you feel about the confirmation that your teammate, Evan Watson, won't be able to play tonight, and may not potentially play for the whole tournament?"

"Well, my heart goes out to Evan- it truly does." Amadou said. "He's such an incredible basketball player- there are few in the world who can do the things that he does on the court. More than anything, the International Basketball Championships are a showcase of the multiverse's best talent, a tournament that does not occur every year. There is no better advertisement for the sport than this tournament. You want all of the best talent on the floor. But knee injuries are brutal in every sport- and particularly in basketball. You need to be able to generate power with your legs to do almost anything- to jump and get a rebound, to get off a jump shot, to get in the air when you're at the rim. That's why its so painful to see somebody I consider a friend, to have an injury like that. My prayers go out to him that he can quickly recover, and that we can hopefully see him on the floor sooner rather than later."

The first reporter, from the Istria Times, had another question for him. "Amadou, what do you think separates this group of players on the Lions from previous ones? Are we suited to go all the way?"

"Well, of course, the goal is clear. We want to win this thing- and we think we can." Amadou said. "We've never been shy about our goals in this sport. Some people say you should be, say it puts a target on your back. But why should we be shy? I'll say this- if you're not playing to win, why are you here? Not everybody will say it, but I guarantee you, every single player at this tournament, regardless of which team they are playing for, wants badly to win the entire tournament- being a world champion is something that you'll have for the rest of your life, and something that nobody can ever take away. I'm not saying we will win this thing- there are a ton of good teams out there. Quebec, Ko-oren, Drawkland, Equestria, etc... but we're dreaming big. There are plenty of talented players at this level- but it's all about how you put it together as a team. We all buy in to Lavaga's philosophy. Individual concerns don't matter- we need to play selflessly, for each other. If we can do that, well, I'd say we can beat whoever this sport throws at us."

And then, a reporter from the Hoima Eagle asked the last question. "One more question, Amadou. How do you feel about your return to Donnacona tonight? How will fans react?"

Amadou smiled, and thought about it for a moment. And then, he answered with a statement of his own. "I'm glad that I Have the ability to play an IBC game in a place that is so special to my heart. Summerside Jets fans, in my opinion, are the best club basketball fans you'll find anywhere in the world. They cheer for their team passionately, through the thick and the thin. They support their players fiercely, and where their colors with pride. I count my blessings every day that I get to play for the Jets. But I know that they will put all their energies behind their national team. And that makes sense- they'll bring that energy that's usually reserved for the Jets, and put it behind the national team. I expect them to be loud, to be energetic- and for this to be a rocking environment. That's how the sport should be played, right? Donnacona players should appreciate that they have fans like this- not every team at this tournament has their country so passionately behind them like these guys do."

At that point, of course, Secka left. He would sit in an ice bath, warm up his body for the game. He was excited- opening the IBC here? How awesome would that be. He was ready for what would surely be quite a tournament.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Sun May 03, 2020 12:07 pm

THE ROCKET REPORT

BASKETBALL RETURNS: WHAT TO KNOW

by Taylor Larson,

Pretty soon, we will be getting underway in the 29th International Basketball Championships, which is a tournament that Newmanistan won twice in the past, and recently has some success getting to the semifinals or quarterfinals. However, we struggled to get any further then that, and the last two editions have seen us slip a little bit. In the last one, we probably did better then we deserved too, all things concerned. So, here we are, ready to play. Here are some things you will need to know.

1) The competition is being hosted by Equestrian States (or Equestria for short). The last time they did this was in the 26th edition, a tournament that is remembered for all the wrong reasons in terms of its hosting. Equestrian States was not the problem, they were in fact, the savior. Unfortunately, there were logistical issues with the host that won the vote, and we were faced with a long, long delay. There were reports that many Newmanistanian fans were so turned off by this that general interest in the International Basketball Championships had suffered. However, the Equestrian States did a phenomenal job of stepping in and saving the tournament from collapse. That’s not just me kissing up to the current host, they really do deserve the props.

2) The format will have a double round robin, with Newmanistan playing their group mates once at home and once on the road. That’s a very good thing to see, as it will allow for ten games of exciting basketball to take place for our fans to take in. Newmanistan will play each of their five games at a different arena, starting, as usual, with the Proving Grounds in Tundra Falls for the first match. If you can’t make it there, you can also plan trips to Pocono City, Jessicaville, Loudon, and Olympia to watch a game. The Southport area was a surprising omission there, but due to some construction going on at the grounds of the arena for a new family funfair area, they were not chosen for a game. They could have chosen Putnam Lake, but anyone in the western part of the Empire will have to either go to Olympia, or simply head east.

3) The nations that Newmanistan will be taking on are Juvencus, Kita-Hinode, Trolleborg, Nova Roma, and Puppeted States. We have the top seed in the group, thanks to our #5 ranking. #12 Kita-Hinode is the biggest rival in terms of rank, but Trolleborg also figures to be a tough opponent. They have done well in competitions they have been in, and showed initial promise in the recent NSCAA tournament before their schools eventually tailed off. Nova Roma and Puppeted States are unknown, but it won’t take long for them to make an impression.

4) There are two huge returning nations in this tournament: Cassadaigua and Delaclava. Despite returning to the sports world many years ago in other tournaments, we have not seen the ladies in pink in this tournament until now. They have won a championship in their history, so I feel for the nations that have to deal with them in their group. Delaclava recently returned to the sports world as well, but unlike Cassadaigua, jumped back into the IBC on their first opportunity.

5) For the Rockets, the starting five will look different then it ever has since there is not a single starter returning to this team. Three of the starters: Brian Danielson, Byron Storm, and Travis Warden have been on the team before and all have logged regular minutes, so I do not anticipate this being much of an issue for the team. One of the new additions, Warren Peyser, should be the leading scorer of this team, and all of us are excited about being able to root for this member of the Southport Tigers. He continues to put up big numbers here, which we all know, but soon the rest of the tournament will see that as well. He fits the Rockets mold of being able to put it up from anywhere within the halfcourt. Lucas Bennerman, and Byron Storm will give the Rockets a good inside game, and that will only allow the guards to have more confidence in putting up the threes.

6) The team will be managed by James Parsons for the final time. He has coached the team since we returned in IBC 23, but the 67-year old stepped down as coach of the Loudon Leopards after the season, and announced that coaching the Rockets this year will be his final coaching venture as he retires from the sport. Hopefully, the players can use that as motivation to get him as good of a result as possible!
Last edited by Newmanistan on Sun May 03, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

Lisander
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lisander » Sun May 03, 2020 6:20 pm

OOC: I apologize for the bad quality of this. I posted it to not miss the cut-off, but I plan to update this as soon as possible.
Last edited by Lisander on Sun May 03, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Principality of Lisander, a sports loving, very highly developed nation in Astyria.
Disappointing people and missing deadlines since 2013.

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun May 03, 2020 8:10 pm

Royal Kingdom of Quebec National Basketball Team : IBC 25

Nation Name : Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Demonym: Quebecois
Team Nickname: The Grim Reapers
The Supporters: The Bubonic Plague

Team Quebec Jerseys, brought to you by Donnacona

Coaching Staff

Coach              Position            Age    Year  Sex   Team                   Hometown
Franck Pelle-Hawk Men's Head Coach 49 1st M Kingston Raptors Val d'Or, Abitibi-Temiscamingue
Goh Gyeong-Rahn Women's Head Coach 57 3rd F Basketball Quebec Habpo, Acadie
Salman Brennan Assistant Coach (M) 50 1st M California University (M)Quebec City, Capitale-Nationale
Arianna Ceciliani Assistant Coach (W) 37 2nd F Fort Lowe Rattlers Oshawa, Frontenac
Ike Kayembe Assistant Coach (W) 60 7th M Farrer University (W) Longeuil, Montreal
Ciara Aderibigbe Assistant Coach (M) 46 1st F Moncton Magic Winnipeg, Manitoba
Alexandre Chen Team Doctor (M) 71 28th M Basketball Quebec/CSKA Levis, Capitale-Nationale
Kim Bessette-Wolf Team Doctor (F) 43 10th F Montreal Koreana Chibougamou, Nord-Est

Players

#   Pos.  Player              Height  Weight  Age  Sex   Team                    Hometown
01 SF Tiago Lesmes 2.06m 240 lb 34 M Kingston Raptors
02 PG Owen McDonagh 1.96m 196 lb 28 M Levis Knights
03 PF Leonora Bertram 1.93m 177 lb 37 F Fort Lowe Rattlers
04 PG Francine Dube-Shin 1.85m 178 lb 26 F Winnipeg Wonderers
05 G Clara Bowen-Young 1.72m 145 lb 30 F Prince Eric Fire
06 PF Matthieu Kabengele 2.12m 268 lb 23 M Stratford Storm (Donnacona)
07 SG Abigail Corelli 1.80m 149 lb 23 F Labrador City Rockets
08 SG Daniel Ibaniyama 1.99m 193 lb 26 M London Lightning
09 PG Heo Myeong-Yoon 1.85m 156 lb 21 F Queen's College
10 C Bae Seung-Yoon 1.94m 207 lb 24 F CSKA Quebec
11 F/C Noh Seung-Dae 2.04m 258 lb 22 M Sudbury Moose
12 SG Eileen McElwain 1.84m 153 lb 23 F Placidana Warriors (Donnacona)
13 PF Celine Williams-Leonard 1.84m 175 lb 32 F CSKA Quebec
14 C Noah Pantin 2.19m 230 lb 29 M Ottawa River Riders
15 SG Alexander Hwang 1.86m 182 lb 25 M St. John's Islanders
16 PG Sigurd Jorgensson 1.87m 181 lb 30 M Moncton Magic
17 SF Erin Savikataaq 1.80m 164 lb 25 F Halifax Sun
18 SF Clarence Mailthot 2.02m 218 lb 27 M Moncton Magic
19 PF Kieran Drummond 2.08m 263 lb 27 M Sarnia Spark
20 C Kim Hong-Ja 1.95m 171 lb 30 F Labrador City Rockets
21 SF Lukia Wapakhabulo 1.79m 154 lb 31 F Montreal Koreana
22 C Rudy Ibanez 2.15m 280 lb 24 M Chicoutimi Orions
23 SF Hazel Hanson-Conavacio 1.91m 170 lb 18 F Sherbrooke Thunder
24 G Franck Briere-Bourque 1.81m 189 lb 20 M Universite d'Ottawa

RP PERMISSIONS

Do anything but before you go around killing and injuring my players, drop me a TG. Don't be afraid to TG me too if you have any doubts or in need of anything or everything that is related to Quebec.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Equestrian States
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Equestrian States » Sun May 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Lisander 73–83 Drawkland
Laeral 64–75 Petroslovania
Kriegiersien 65–75 North New South Wales

Group A                       Pld    W   L    PF   PA   PD    Win %
1 Petroslovania 1 1 0 75 64 +11 1.000
2 Drawkland 1 1 0 83 73 +10 1.000
North New South Wales 1 1 0 75 65 +10 1.000
4 Kriegiersien 1 0 1 65 75 −10 0.000
Lisander 1 0 1 73 83 −10 0.000
6 Laeral 1 0 1 64 75 −11 0.000

Trolleborg 93–73 Nova Roma
Kita-Hinode 68–92 Newmanistan
Juvencus 58–61 Puppeted States

Group B                       Pld    W   L    PF   PA   PD    Win %
1 Newmanistan 1 1 0 92 68 +24 1.000
2 Trolleborg 1 1 0 93 73 +20 1.000
3 Puppeted States 1 1 0 61 58 +3 1.000
4 Juvencus 1 0 1 58 61 −3 0.000
5 Nova Roma 1 0 1 73 93 −20 0.000
6 Kita-Hinode 1 0 1 68 92 −24 0.000

Pemecutan 79–90 Gekkeom
Wielka Rzesza Sealandzka 66–77 Northwest Kalactin
Free Republics 84–83 Qasden

Group C                       Pld    W   L    PF   PA   PD    Win %
1 Gekkeom 1 1 0 90 79 +11 1.000
Northwest Kalactin 1 1 0 77 66 +11 1.000
3 Free Republics 1 1 0 84 83 +1 1.000
4 Qasden 1 0 1 83 84 −1 0.000
5 Pemecutan 1 0 1 79 90 −11 0.000
Wielka Rzesza Sealandzka 1 0 1 66 77 −11 0.000

Chinese Congo 67–75 Welzat
Filindostan 71–62 ZSeparatists
Mkabia 57–86 Quebec

Group D                       Pld    W   L    PF   PA   PD    Win %
1 Quebec 1 1 0 86 57 +29 1.000
2 Filindostan 1 1 0 71 62 +9 1.000
3 Welzat 1 1 0 75 67 +8 1.000
4 Chinese Congo 1 0 1 67 75 −8 0.000
5 ZSeparatists 1 0 1 62 71 −9 0.000
6 Mkabia 1 0 1 57 86 −29 0.000

Equestria 74–74 Valladares (83–81 OT)
Donnacona 77–82 Banija
Southwest Eastnorth 65–84 Delaclava

Group E                       Pld    W   L    PF   PA   PD    Win %
1 Delaclava 1 1 0 84 65 +19 1.000
2 Banija 1 1 0 82 77 +5 1.000
3 Equestria 1 1 0 83 81 +2 1.000
4 Valladares 1 0 1 81 83 −2 0.000
5 Donnacona 1 0 1 77 82 −5 0.000
6 Southwest Eastnorth 1 0 1 65 84 −19 0.000

North Quadana 90–62 Jeckland
Crystal Empire 51–76 Vakolicci Haven & Celeria
Andromeda Islands 74–78 Vangaziland

Group F                       Pld    W   L    PF   PA   PD    Win %
1 North Quadana 1 1 0 90 62 +28 1.000
2 Vakolicci Haven & Celeria 1 1 0 76 51 +25 1.000
3 Vangaziland 1 1 0 78 74 +4 1.000
4 Andromeda Islands 1 0 1 74 78 −4 0.000
5 Crystal Empire 1 0 1 51 76 −25 0.000
6 Jeckland 1 0 1 62 90 −28 0.000

Sarzonia 62–61 Xanneria
Valanora 85–54 TJUN-ia
Preiva 75–89 Nouveau Quebecois

Group G                       Pld    W   L    PF   PA   PD    Win %
1 Valanora 1 1 0 85 54 +31 1.000
2 Nouveau Quebecois 1 1 0 89 75 +14 1.000
3 Sarzonia 1 1 0 62 61 +1 1.000
4 Xanneria 1 0 1 61 62 −1 0.000
5 Preiva 1 0 1 75 89 −14 0.000
6 TJUN-ia 1 0 1 54 85 −31 0.000

Devonta 73–64 U.S. of Nuclear Weapons
Abanhfleft 102–64 Cassadaigua
HUElavia 99–75 Terre Septentrionale

Group H                       Pld    W   L    PF   PA   PD    Win %
1 Abanhfleft 1 1 0 102 64 +38 1.000
2 HUElavia 1 1 0 99 75 +24 1.000
3 Devonta 1 1 0 73 64 +9 1.000
4 U.S. of Nuclear Weapons 1 0 1 64 73 −9 0.000
5 Terre Septentrionale 1 0 1 75 99 −24 0.000
6 Cassadaigua 1 0 1 64 102 −38 0.000
Last edited by Equestrian States on Thu May 07, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
83rd World Cup Champions
58th & 59th AOCAF Cup Champions
5x World Cup, 2x Cup of Harmony, 1x Baptism of Fire, 2x World Cup of Hockey, 3x World Baseball Classic, 1x World Bowl, 2x International Basketball Championship Host

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Sun May 03, 2020 9:25 pm

In the Kalactanians first game back in the international basketball championships the Kalactanians did not disappoint, winning their first game by 11 points 77-66. Their opponents, Wielka Rzesza Sealandzka could not control the explosive Michael Hughes at center who, scored 21 points and had 12 rebounds in a great defensive performance. Josh Abbott, an avid 3 point shooter stayed quiet behind the line however had 10 assists in a double-double performance that was paired with 15 points. Ricky Garza, who is the second part of the dynamic duo from Murwelldobah with Abbott was a lockdown defender only allowing 3 points from his man the entire game, including none in the first half. The Athletic Finisher Jorge Sutton meanwhile, struggled competing with Wielka Rzesza Sealandzkas big man who was 2 inches taller than him. Sutton’s man ended up scoring 19 points which was the best for Wielka Rzesza Sealandzka the entire game. As the game tipped off the Kalactanians took a lead very early, leading 9-2, 3 minuted into the game. The Wielka Rzesza Sealandzka National Team however, was not messing around after that going on a 12-3 scoring run and taking the lead 14-12. For the Wielka Rzesza Sealandzkas that lead would not end up lasting long, with Abbott getting 2 assists to the big man Michael Hughes. Garza got a steal while the Kalactanians were up 27-19 and made the quick pass to the Small Forward Charlie Larson to hit a 3 pointer for the Kalactanian team. As the Kalactanian team went into the half with a 40-36 lead they were starting to lose the edge in the game. Hughes turned the game around for the Kalactanians, he scored 13 points and grabbed 8 rebounds in a superb defensive performance during the second half. Wielka Rzesza Sealandzka tried to start up a comeback but with 2 minutes left and the kalactanians up by 12 it was too late for Wielka Rzesza Sealandzka to win the game. In the other games in our group the Free Republics and Qasden played a very close game against each other with Free Republics barely pulling out a 1 point win against them. Geekeom also won their game by 11 against Pemecutan in a 90-79 win. In Group A the marquee matchup was Drawkland against Lisander with Drawkland pulling out a win in the fourth quarter 83-73. North New South Wales would also end up having a good day winning by 10 against a challenging Kriegiersien team. In Group B Newmanistan ended up blowing out Kita-Hinode 92-68. In Group E which was by far the most challenging draw this tournament Banija and Equestria pulled out last minute wins in challenging games. Cassadaigua, who is a historically strong team got blown out by Abanhfleft 102-64.

Box score, Stats listed Points, Rebounds, Assists, Blocks, Steals
Michael Hughes: 21, 12, 2, 4, 0
Josh Abbott: 15, 4, 10, 0, 1
Charlie Larson: 14, 6, 4, 1, 2
Ricky Garza: 10, 5, 6, 1, 4
Jorge Sutton: 7, 4, 3, 0, 1
Steven Stewart: 4, 1, 1, 0, 0
Billy Bell: 2, 0, 1, 0, 0
Paul Morgan: 2, 0, 0, 0, 0
Roy Carter: 2, 0, 1, 0, 0
Chris Parker: 2, 0, 2, 0, 1
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Lisander
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lisander » Sun May 03, 2020 9:32 pm

It was already three in the morning. All the IBO representatives had already left. All the members of the Federations, the teams and the arbitration as well. Only the cleaning team was there, preparing the arena for the next event.

Alexander was cleaning the wooden floor of the court quietly, with his headphones playing loud music. After all, it was the only way to stay awake during the day. He couldn't buy drinks from the machine after midnight, because in that arena all the machines operated only with the new Lisander ID (LSiD). Being himself underage, and forbidden by law to work in that shift, he was subject to a curfew. If they found out he was working that late, he would have problems. He had even bribed the night cleaner and his supervisor to change those special shifts. It was his chance to have a place of honour, or rather, a privileged place on the court of the National Team game.

The first of three games in Lerna had ended with a defeat. Lisander had lost by ten points (73-83) to the world champions, Drawkland, in their first-round at Lerna after the final of IBC 28. It had been a great game. In fact, it had been worth every penny of the money it had saved for months. After all, in that job, he only had to stand next to the court with the mop to dry the floor.

"Man, I'm really smart. I've got the best place to watch the game, right under the basket! I'M AWESOME!" Since he was alone, Alex shouted.

Or that's what Alexander thought.

"HEY, SHUT UP! THERE ARE PEOPLE TRYING TO SLEEP HERE, YOU BLOODY IDIOT!"

Alex got scared by the screams. He stopped the music on the headphones and searched the bleachers for the voice until he found it. He was a man, about 40 years old, lying on the chairs to his right on the other side of the court. How or why he had escaped from security and was still there after the game, he couldn't tell.

Firstly, Alex thought: "Is he a beggar?"

But then he considered something more obvious: That area was the annual ticket area. BC Olympia members who spend with annual tickets were entitled to stay in that area at every match in the Arena. But it was only during the matches, no?

Alex crossed the court with agile steps and approached the man.

"Sir, I apologize, but I need to clean here too."

The man sat down again.

"Boy, listen. I need to sleep. I came from Kasandora... Six hours in a car... for this game. There's just not a damn hotel available in this town. If I give you money, will you shut up and forget I'm here?"

The man turned his pockets and took some L$20s and L$50s bills. Stretching out his hand, he offered Alex the money.

"But sir, I... the security can..."

"You, just take the money, finish your cleaning, and get out. I know how to take care in case the security guards show up. After all, I came here just for tomorrow morning..."

Alex took the money, but curious about the man's words, he asked:

"Tomorrow? But sir, the game was tonight."

"Tonight? No, you idiot. Who cares about bloody IBC? I'm not here for that. I'm here for tomorrow's 9:00 a.m. game, the National School Championship final!"

"Wh... Oh..."

Alex wondered for a second then looked back to the floor. Earlier that night, right after the NT game, before the cleaning, some workers had already placed the High School National Championship logos in the court.

"All right then, sorry... I won't bother you anymore." Alex had an incredulous face. He was surprised that a man who had bought an annual ticket to the Arena wasn't interested in the world's biggest basketball competition but camped to watch the High School National Championship final.

"Well, there's all kinds of crazy people in this world...," he said to himself, taking the mop and leaving the court.
Last edited by Lisander on Sun May 03, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Principality of Lisander, a sports loving, very highly developed nation in Astyria.
Disappointing people and missing deadlines since 2013.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Sun May 03, 2020 9:59 pm

A buzzer-beater for the home team, in particular for a team ranked 82nd in the multiverse against the 23rd ranked team is usually followed up by the crowd erupting in earth-shattering decibel levels of rapture.

Very often, the players have to quickly run to the locker rooms for safety while the crowd streams onto the court in delirium.

However, the players on Sarzonia's national basketball team could have heard a pin drop at The Palestra in Woodstock despite Mike West's 18-footer that gave Sarzonia a 62-61 victory over Xanneria to open the 29th edition of the International Basketball Championships.

There was good reason. Woodstockers and other hoops fans were prohibited from entering the venue due to city regulations surrounding social distancing requirements for managing the outbreak of the SARS 2 novel Coronavirus.

Mayor Claudia Alta said the restrictions would remain in place through at least the first half of qualifying. She said during a press conference before the match that she and Sarzonian basketball officials were in consultation over the prospect of allowing supporters into the venue.

"We understand that these restrictions are difficult on everyone. Basketball fans, the players, the coaches, the staffs, the venue hospitality," Alta said. "We are working with medical professionals and scientists to ensure that we handle the restoration of normal activities in a responsible manner."

A small gathering of Xannerian supporters protested outside The Palestra calling for venue staff to allow them into the building. Woodstock police were called in and the protesters left without further incident.

"It was strange to not hear a crowd cheering," said West, who scored 20 points to lead the Stars (1-0). "We naturally feed off the energy of the crowd, so it's going to take some getting used to."

The Stars kept the match close the entire way, never allowing the visitors to claim a lead larger than six points at any stretch of the contest. Sarzonia never led by more than four.

Unlike the team's 15-for-23 performance from the free throw line against Delaclava, Sarzonia was 18-for-21 this time. Reserve centre Terry Rutledge was 3-for-5 from the charity stripe, contributing to his eight-point, 11-rebound off the bench. He also blocked four shots against Xanneria.

Coach Thomas Manningham said the team still had to improve with No. 8 Valanora getting set to come to Woodstock.

"We played a better game against Xanneria than we did against the Phoenixes," he said. "We're going to have to be more focused against Valanora. We can't get away with the turnovers we committed against Xanneria.

To wit: Sarzonia committed 18 turnovers, including a "patently unacceptable" backcourt violation that gave Xanneria a chance at a 3-pointer that would have stretched the lead to 46-39 with five minutes left in the third quarter. Rutledge grabbed the rebound and fired an outlet pass to West, who stuffed it home and instead made it a 43-41 lead for the visitors.

Manningham said that sequence likely turned the match around.

"They'd been on a 8-0 run [which erased a 39-35 halftime lead for Sarzonia], and that turnover and the three could have been too much of a hole to crawl out of," he said. "West gets that outlet from Rutledge and converts it and suddenly we have a different match."

The Andromeda Island Group
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Island Group » Sun May 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Vangaziland Royals vs. Andromeda Eagles
Joe Napoli Arena
Joppa, Allied States
Game Day 1
8:55 pm

On paper, the Vangaziland Royals were supposed to win big tonight over the Andromeda Eagles. The Royals had made the IBC Finals in each of the previous three IBC cycles, winning titles in IBC 26 & 27. In contrast, the Andromeda Eagles hadn’t fielded a credible team in over a decade, since IBC 19.

The team who lost to the Eagles in the Finals that year? Vangaziland.

Many basketball experts and prognosticators, even in the Andromeda Islands, predicted that Vangaziland would visit vengeance upon the inexperienced Eagles, on the Eagles home court, in front of the whole NS Universe.

At least one player for the Eagles has other ideas.

As the Eagles struggled early against the Royals, Sadie Smith was on the bench cheering on the starters. As her teammates lamented over the Eagles play, Smith’s body language, her attention to each play, her hands clasped together, her shoes rapidly bouncing up and down in anticipation, showed that she was ready to play.

“Sadie. Go in for Hattie.”

Smith hopped out of her chair and joins Kelly Waters at the substitution desk.

“Now, they put us in,” Waters said to Smith, rolling her eyes. The Eagles were down 25-6 with less than a minute in the first quarter.

“Foul #6 Royals.”

The starting guards, Hattie Williams and Gigi Flores, were replaced by Smith and Waters.

Play resumed. Waters passes the ball down to Melissa Long. Long posted up before giving up the ball to Rosie Johnson. Russell set a screen which allowed Johnson an uncontested jumper. Johnson scored 6 of the Eagles 8 points.

As the Royals guard tried to inbound the ball, Smith contested his pass. Smith grabbed the errant pass for an easy layup.

The same guard attempted another inbound pass. Three of his teammates came back up court. The pass bounced off of Smith’s foot.

Third attempt. All of the Royals were up court. The shooting guard passed the ball in over Smith to a small forward standing near the half-court line. The Eagles were still down 25-10.

----------

The Eagles managed to get their deficit down to 10 at the half. By the end of the third quarter, they were only behind by six. Much of this was due to the Eagles switching to a three-guard offense early in the second quarter.

Late in the fourth, Shawonda Brownlee wrong-foots the Royals center, tying the game at 74, and taking a hard elbow to the shoulder in the process. Although Brownlee expected to draw the foul, the referees have been hesitant to blow the whistle most of the game. Brownlee shrugs it off, deciding against risking a technical late in the game.

At the other end, the Royals power forward attempts a hook shot, which is blocked by a much shorter Quick Tillis. Despite what appeared to be a clean block by Tillis, she is called for the foul. The Royals power forward sinks two foul shots.

The Royals are up 76-74. They switch to a pressure defense, nearly forcing a 10-second violation before Smith passes down court to Peg Harper who attempts a wide-open three…

…which rims in and out. Smith runs down court and fouls the Royal who got the rebound. It’s her fifth, with less than two seconds in the game. Smith, who leaves the game with 22 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists, brought the Eagles from annihilation to the brink of one of the great comebacks in IBC history. She is given a standing ovation as she leaves the court.

The Royal player, their best foul shooter on the court, makes the last two points of the game. Time expires.

----------

FINAL SCORE: Vangaziland 78, Andromeda 74

PLAYER OF THE GAME

#42 Sadie Smith

Height: 5’10”
AWL Team: Silla Red Roses
2020 Stats: 22.7 ppg, 7.1 apg, 3.0 spg

The 2020 Women’s League Rookie of the Year, Sadie Smith led the Silla Red Roses from a previously winless season to the Andromeda Women’s League Playoffs for the first time in league history. Smith averaged 35 points per game in the Red Roses Semifinal playoff series against Joppa.

A graduate of Angeles City Women’s College, Smith is also a professional MMA fighter. She has amassed an undefeated record in five professional bouts.
Last edited by The Andromeda Island Group on Mon May 04, 2020 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trolleborg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Trolleborg » Mon May 04, 2020 5:05 am

Hello, that’s TTV, and we are from sporting venue with a good news! Yeah, it’s rare that we have good news about our sport, so listen to us twice carefully as usual.

Last evening our team make a debut in the Basketball World Cup. Starting game opponents was Nova Roma team – debutants just like us.

Starting five of Trolleborg national team was:
Kasper Hendrix - Torfinn Timden - Kjell Scherpen - Roan Keano - Torstein Brass

Our team won the ball and slowly moved to the opponents half.
After the fight in the center, the ball was thrown to the left, Timden risked throwing from afar and brought the team her first points in the championship.

It’s just 0:12 and our team hit the target first time in it’s history. Let's hope not the last.
In a single burst, the audience roared “Goooool!” Enthusiastic fans started the wave, but before she could even get around two laps, she broke off, as Brass brought two more points to our team.

The guests quickly moved away from this beginning and opened their account in the game, and although they were trailing of 21:14 to the first break, and the outcome of the game was generally never in doubt, they constantly showed their teeth and demonstrated that the forces were, in general, equal, and teams in the same weight category.

Nevertheless, after half the game, our team secured a comfortable 44:31 backlog, and further demonstrated good team play skills, did not show weakness in long-range shots

nor in combinations

nor in a fight under the ring, although sometimes quick counterattacks left our guys out of work

In general, the Trolleborg team demonstrated a strong, solid game. What I especially want to note in the game of our team: lads played in a truly national spirit, namely, strictly adhered to the rules and hardly received any fouls. However, let's not rush to conclusions, this is only the first match with an opponent of our own level. The tournament is long, in addition, in our group we are opposed by two grands of world basketball and one more than a serious opponent with extensive experience in international competitions.

GAME SUMMARY:

Trolleborg – Nova Roma 93:73 (21:14, 44:31, 64:45, 93:73)
Arena, Trolleborg City 11,995 (cap. 12,000).

In other games of our group two giants meet each other and Kita-Honde, our next opponent, lost. What is really surprising, is the result of last game, where Juvencus, being clear favourite, lost in the tough game to the Puppeted States.

Kita-Hinode 68–92 Newmanistan
Juvencus 58–61 Puppeted States

Donnacona
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Donnacona » Mon May 04, 2020 5:09 am

When Does The Fun Start?

I must have told myself a thousand times that Hudson Islands Donnacona really doesn't have a prayer against a team like Banija, yet there I was, screaming at my TV in the third quarter, believing that we really could have won the basketball game. Aside from that 13-0 run that Banija went on in the third quarter, we were essentially neck and neck (and technically we won the game outside of that 4 minute span, although technically Botley is the biggest city in Donnacona if you were to move 4 Botleys worth of people out of Marianopolis, which sounds like a good idea). And yet, here I am, after a 5 point loss to the fourth ranked team in the world, miserable.

I have to say, I was so deeply in fan mode I hadn't really considered my role as a blogger during the game. As such, I just wasn't prepared when I sat down to write this. What would my hook be? What's my narrative? Hudson Islands Donnacona showed we could compete with anyone and that Luka Kjaer (23 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds) is a world class player who showed it putting up those numbers in the slower international game, guarded by Saihou Uster, the supposed lockdown defender of the Banijan team? There's really no reason for false modesty, everyone reading this blog is already tired of Luka Kjaer- each commercial break during the game seemingly featured his Caffè Sandro commercial.

[INTERIOR: A Caffè Sandro location, a very tall basketball player portrayed by Luka Kjaer walks up to the cash.

LUKA KJAER: Espresso, per favore.

As the cash transaction takes place, the camera zooms in on the beans being ground, tamped, brewed, et cetera. The luscious crema pours out of the machine and into the little cup, and the camera zooms back to Kjaer, standing head and shoulders above the other patrons, who are 50/50 split between being enraptured with their coffee or deep in conversation.

LUKA KJAER: Finally, a moment to myself!

On the screen, the logo dissolves in, with the new slogan "Caffè Sandro: Savour It" appearing.]

Even on the 38th viewing I'm not totally certain what the pull is here- the coffee shop experience is so engrossing you don't notice the 7 foot tall superstar athlete? Sure, whatever, those mainlanders are too obsessed with coffee and enjoying life- for me coffee is just fuel to generate surplus value to give to my superiors. REGARDLESS, that wasn't the direction I wanted to head in, what about the nice renaissance of Kelly Douglas III, whose basketball career was seemingly left for dead but was in the right place at the right time for a call in to camp and an impressive performance in two exhibitions against Quebec? Well, I still remember him lighting up the Botley Bulls in the playoffs a few years ago, so screw him.

Check out how efficient Kelly Douglas III was against Banija! 15 points on 5-8 shooting, including 2-4 from three point land. He drew fouls on three of his four field goals inside the paint, exploiting Banija's lack of deference towards him.

Finally I came up with the best possible angle for this blog- me. Basketball has taken me a lot of places, and I'm about to get on a plane to visit Equestria to take a trip to the Manehattan Harbor Sports Park for our second game in the group, against the equally tough Equestria. I recognise a lot of their players, first from the IUBC Finals that the Seaddle Subsonics and Crystalopolis Lancers and Everfree Indigo perpetually make, but also from the fact that they're literal ponies and unicorns and pegasuses and the like. I don't understand the lore, so I've purchased some books to read on the plane, although let's be honest- I'm not going to read on the plane, I'm going to listen to the same two podcasts and maybe watch one movie and then hopefully take a nap.

Yet despite all that, I still am heartbroken to have lost this basketball game. In all likelihood we're about to be 0-2 and whilst there is then a long string of perfectly winnable games, which with some luck could still lead to us getting out of the group, it feels bad! Last place feels bad! Being a sports fan is all about co-opting the successes and failures of others to feel like you have an acceptable male personality in lieu of actually cultivating one yourself supporting your team through thick and thin, but that doesn't make the thin times feel any better, especially when they were portrayed as potentially thick. But even still, I will get on that plane and I will go to that place that scares me a little and I will cheer for Jahjesh and the gang and I will wave my Hudsonian flag, because what else is there to do? Other than work, I gotta check in a few times, always on call!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports