NATION

PASSWORD

NSCF XXI - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:40 am

Richardson University, Richardson, Ranoria
-Practice Field

"I really wanted that one, Ice." Jackson III groaned, leaning back from his sitting position on the field, the rubber pellets of the turf be damned. They would stick to his back later, but he was exhausted. The workouts after a loss were brutal, and that hadn't changed after the NSCF season. It was a testament to the improved level of competition that they could end up icing their wounds at 11-2, where the Governors had not been able to find a worthy opponent until the playoffs in their domestic season. The loss to Loyola-Istria had been a hard fought one, and really, a lot of players had gone through a tough game.

"Shit, we all did." 'Ice' Chineze wiped his face, which really only served to spread the slop of sweat around, his hands were not much cleaner in that department, and wiping them on his soaked shorts? Yeah, right. He had not had the game he had imagined against the Banijans, and as much as he tried to block out the media, it hurt to see reporters referencing that, when he had been needed to pass the ball and come back in a game, he had come up short. After all, Deondre Rhine had thrown for over four thousand yards while he was obviously the primary focus of the offense. Meanwhile, either of Richardson's two lead backs could have taken a great deal of pressure off of any quarterback's shoulders, and they did. He had smiled at one article on draft prospects referencing the Ranorian National Championship, where he'd helped lead his team to victory in a dramatic fourth quarter comeback. But the loss to Istria, and being the first Richardson quarterback to lose to them at home, well, the first man to try out a guillotine couldn't have enjoyed it, either.

Jackson pulled his knees to his chest, rolled them over his head, and then leapt to his feet. "Whelp, ready to put in the extra work?"

Ifeatu didn't even move, "Of course, why break routine now?"

"Right, leave the freshman out of it, then?" Baraka Hali was marching back to the practice field, pulling his gloves tight to his fingertips...using his teeth, no less. "My mama just watched me for the first time this season. I had three damn catches. And. I. Lost. She just made a trip all the way out from Banija, to watch that game. Now look, if you're down to put in extra work, I'm your guy. Call Calvin and the others, but I need to get better. I saw what Atkinson did in his few years, put the damn offense on his back. I'm not losing to Istria, Northern, or any Banijan team ever again, so let's get started."

The kid's eyes were narrow, body tense. He was obviously fuming from his inability to take over the game and win it for his team, to show his family he had made the right decision.

"Yo," Vice Jackson pointed across the field, where massive bookend tackles Howitzer Peters and Thrane Valentine were working one on ones with defensive line standout Spencer Crutchfield, "The longer ya'll keep jabbering, the harder it's going to be for 'extra' to turn into 'normal.'" As they spoke, defensive end Malik Sherman marched. Out of all of them, the sophomore looked the most physically imposing. Clocking in at a conservative 6'56 and 275 pounds, he was shredded, and had been 'randomly' administered drug tests a good four times in the last six months. Veins bulging from his arms, an emerging eight pack, or an obvious six, take your pick. Or maybe it was those massive hands, carrying a pair of forty five pound plates in each to throw onto the sled that was already loaded with...well, Chineze wasn't sure.

He had headphones in, but looked over to the quarterback and his backfield partner, speaking up as he dropped more plates on, "Oi, you two gonna be here for awhile?" Normally, a defensive end who had finished the season with 12.5 sacks, and 15 tackles for a loss, would probably be resting on his laurels, but Chineze could tell that this was not the case, and gave him a thumbs up. "Good, got f***ing burnt on the read option. I'm done losing. Next year, I swear to god," he put his headphones back in, almost talking to himself now, "I'm not losing another game."

And he wasn't the only one. Bookend tackles Thrane Valentine and Howitzer Peters were working one on one's, rotating against defensive tackle standout Spencer Crutchfield, who, with the exertion of switching between two guys, was breathing very heavily.

Chineze rolled his eyes. This was turning into a full team practice at this point, but he wouldn't complain. This team was not used to losing ballgames, and two in one regular season? Well, that was just unacceptable. They were overreacting, perhaps, but it was impossible for competitors, workers, players of their caliber to accept defeat.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Cold Hill University, Cold Hill, Ranoria
Athletic Dorms

A seventh empty bottle hit his nightstand. This one, however, with Rhine’s slightly thrown off balance, fell off the edge and rolled for a few feet. Rhine couldn’t go to any larger gatherings without drawing the ire of his head coach, but he had gone to high school with most of these guys, four people in the room, and they were celebrating the 12-1 finish that he had helped to write, with 36 passing touchdowns, an average, one of his friends had pointed out, of almost three per game, and nearly 4,200 yards.

“Hey bro, I brought you something,” one of his friends pulled something of a bag, something that made everyone go quiet, immediately. A needle. “This is that stuff you took before your senior year. But these guys are only going to test once, before the first playoff game. And you know that that means?”

Rhine knew exactly what it meant. He’d have nearly two weeks for the drugs to take effect. A mix of tren, androgen, testosterone, and winstrol. With all of them, he knew he’d be noticeably stronger even in that time frame. “Bill, what the hell?” But he took it.

Deondre Rhine looked at the needle, twirling it dangerously in his hands, it was already loaded. He knew what it could do. Sure, one week might not have been a huge increase in his output...but two? After all, he'd just earned the number one seed in the NCSF playoffs, he'd have a bye more than likely. And he'd used before, but he'd been stupid. He'd gotten caught, and it would not happen again. He had already won one title, and a second seemed to be just within his fingertips.

No.

Rhine just slid the needle into his backpack, “No, this shits going down the garbage chute. But not from my dorm. I don’t want anyone sitting suspicious.”

He was good enough to win this without it. After all, 12-1 was the best record in this league, regardless, so they were statistically the best team in the world, the universe, really. And he'd thrown 36 touchdowns to lead them to that success. He wasn't about to throw all of that away on a gamble.

Right?
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Playoffs around the corner for Warriors
by Aaron Hardison
UC Correspondent for The Times

Having closed the regular season on a high note, the University of the Commonwealth now prepares for it's first round playoff game, to be played at Gleason Field. In fact, it will mark the fourth time the stadium has hosted an NSCF playoff game, as UC have enjoyed home field advantage in every contest, with the exception of their debut, against University of Space in NSCF 18.

Although the opponent hasn't been announced, there is a strong sense that it will be a familiar foe; Coach Scott Newell speculated that the change in the non-conference schedule for this season wouldn't end up making much of a difference.
"We've already exchanged tape with Northern (Moravica), as we expect that's who we'll be facing. From a preparation standpoint, I'd rather face them than Salamantic, because we know their personnel, their schemes better. Either one will be a tough out, so we need to hope that we can keep the momentum going that we established."

Offensively, UC has been firing on all cylinders as the non-conference season came to an end; back to back 50+ point explosions were not the outcome anyone expected. In the win over Islamic University of Busoga, 574 yards of total offense produced more than enough scoring to win going away, but Newell said that the result was an excellent example of how little things can come back to bite you. "They scored on a punt return, we gave them a short field following a turnover and they drove down the field at the end of the game against the 3rd team to tack on another TD. That's 21 points we gave away where we had it in our power to prevent that, And give them credit, they played like they had something more than pride on the line."

Against Bowerstone, the offense continued to click and the clash of two conference champs battling in a possible playoff preview lived up to it's billing. A late UC touchdown made the score distort the story of the actual contest, but probably will see the scorer garner a lot of support for NSCF Offensive Player of Year.

Lamin Kah averaged 202 ypg over the 3 non-conference matchups, bringing his season total to 1,852 yards on 116 catches, and 22 TDs. Newell said that in the future, there will only be a discussion about the greatest receivers in school history, and then they'll talk about Kah.

"A once in a lifetime player. I kind of feel like we let him down during the UAC, since we didn't have as strong a team as we've had in the past. But he's been a joy to coach, he's grown so much while he's been here, and we are certainly proud he's worn the Black & Gold with distinction."
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

NSCF
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby NSCF » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:07 pm

The deadline for NSCF Committee voting was last sunday night. Voting for the final two playoff spots went as follows:
Salamantic Universities - 4
Northern Moravica University - 3
The Academy of Space - 1

Therefore, the final two schools in the playoffs are Salamantic Universities of Ko-oren and Northern Moravica University of Banija, both coming from Celestia Conference. Committee members were not allowed to vote for their own schools, as per NSCF Procedure. Nor did I vote as a tiebreaker was not needed.

Please take a particular notice that the first round of playoffs will be hosted this Sunday evening (7pm-9pm EST). Afterwards, it'll return to the usual midnight cutoff. Due to the current third-person scorinator's RL circumstances, I will be taking over as the scorinator the remaining way. Game(s) involving Univ. du Saguenay will be scorinated by a third person.

NSCF 19 PLAYOFFS - First Round
Full Bracket

#9Richardson University (RAN) @ #8Ramusok Capital University (COS)
Winner plays #1 Cold Hill University (RAN)

#12Northern Moravica University (BNJ) @ #5University of the Commonwealth of Baker Park (CBP)
Winner plays #4 Bowerstone University (ATH)

#10Université du Saguenay (QUE) @ #7Loyola University at Istria (BNJ)
Winner plays #2 N-N Palæontological-Centred Research University (NTN)

#11Salamantic Universities (KOR) @ #6Sadeg State University (DRK)
Winner plays #3 Stoneshore College (COS)

Additionally, here's how our NSCF Championship Game bid fared in NSCF Committee voting.
BBP National Stadium, Belle Haven, Commonwealth of Baker Park[/url]
YES - 5
NO - 0

Therefore, Belle Haven will host the NSCF 21 Championship.

Bowl Games

For this NSCF, I have received four bowl games. Among those, there are four approved bowl games this season, which covered all but one bowl-eligible team. The Tropicorp Bowl was initially approved, but due to none of the three eligible sides meeting the requirement (RP bonus), tiebreaker for the other team was the team record instead.

Since all but one were proposed as automatic berths based on measurable performances, only one bowl will have the respective organiser to send out invitations themselves. As a reminder, the bowl games will be scorinated at the same time as the first round NSCF Playoff games above (Sunday), though they may ICly have taken place before. It will be scorinated with the first round of playoffs.

The Trojana Condoms Co. Pioneer Bowl
Université de la Catherine du Nord (TSP) vs. University of Yannin (UST)
Best newcomer teams not in Playoffs
Marijuana Island Gaol, Marijuana Island, Royal Kingdom of Quebec

The Karmin-Falce Auto Bowl
Imperial Military Academy (VNG) vs. The Academy of Space (SPA)
Best remaining AdjOff and PointDiff statistics
Karmin-Falce Superdome, Ranoria City, Ranoria

The Drawk Bowl
The Terrestrial Acclimation Academy (SPA) vs. Raynor University (VAL)
Best remaining Big Eight/Mineral teams
Corps University Hub, Drawk City, Drawkland

The Tropicorp Bowl
Thereisnogodistan Community College (NGD) vs. Xannerian Polytechnic Institute (XAN)
[i]Best remaining AO teamsAt-Bid vs. Best teams with media coverage
Tropicorp Park, Tropicoast, Tropicorp[/i]
Last edited by NSCF on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NationStates College Football
Current season (30)Procedural ListPost-29 Cycle RankingsDiscussion threadUCFWCAll-Time StatsWiki

NSCF Headquarters : NSCF House, Joongyeong, Joongyeong, Quebec and Shingoryeo
Feel free to direct all enquiries regarding NSCF to this account via Telegram. If a reply is not forthcoming
within a couple of days, try the discussion thread or send a telegram to Quebec and Shingoryeo.
Posts made by this account are most likely written by the current NSCF Commissioner. At present, that is Quebec and Shingoryeo.

NSCF
Diplomat

Postby NSCF » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:21 pm

NSCF 21 PLAYOFFS - First Round
Full Bracket

Ramusok Capital University Dragons (COS) 24–41 Richardson University Governors (RAN)
#9 Richardson University Governors (RAN) plays #1 Cold Hill University Buffaloes

University of the Commonwealth of Baker Park Warriors (CBP) 27–21 Northern Moravica University Cougars (BNJ)
#5 University of the Commonwealth of Baker Park Warriors (CBP) plays #4 Bowerstone University (ATH)

Loyola University Blue Thunder 23–6 Université du Saguenay Fighting Irish (Scorinated by Free Republics)
#7 Loyola University Blue Thunder plays #2 N-N Palæontological-Centred Research University (NTN)

Sadeg State University Skyhawks (DRK) 14–14 Salamantic Universities Professors (KOR) (17–21 OT)
#11 Salamantic Universities Professors plays #3 Stoneshore College Bruins (COS)

Bowl Games

The Trojana Condoms Co. Pioneer Bowl
Université de la Catherine du Nord (RTS) 34–31 University of Yannin (TMG)
Marijuana Island Gaol, Marijuana Island, Royal Kingdom of Quebec

The Karmin-Falce Auto Bowl
Imperial Military Academy Rangers (VNG) 35–65 The Academy of Space Astronauts (SPA)
Karmin-Falce Superdome, Ranoria City, Ranoria

The Drawk Bowl
The Terrestrial Acclimation Academy Terrans (SPA) 13–13 Raynor University Rockets (VAL) (23–16 OT)
Corps University Hub, Drawk City, Drawkland

The Tropicorp Bowl
Thereisnogodistan Community College Atheists (NGD) 30–35 Xannerian Polytechnic Institute Big Blue (XAN)
Tropicorp Park, Tropicoast, Tropicorp
Last edited by NSCF on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Current season (30)Procedural ListPost-29 Cycle RankingsDiscussion threadUCFWCAll-Time StatsWiki

Feel free to direct all enquiries regarding NSCF to this account via Telegram. If a reply is not forthcoming
within a couple of days, try the discussion thread or send a telegram to Quebec and Shingoryeo.
Posts made by this account are most likely written by the current NSCF Commissioner. At present, that is Quebec and Shingoryeo.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:45 pm

[region][region][/region][/region]
Ramusok Capital Dragons: Inevitable Duel Ends in Victory

Visiting Ramusok Capital wasn't supposed to happen this season. The Dragons were supposed to come to us, to Richardson, to play on Dietrich Stadium. Instead, the two schools' athletic departments were unable to renew their deal for out of conference games in this season, and instead the Governors avoided them for the first time since before the NSCF. That is, until the playoffs came around.

The 8-2 Dragons were technically worse in terms of record. Both teams are perennial contenders and names that can kill any laughter in a meeting room in a single breath, but the Governors were 11-2. That by no means meant that they could look ahead. One of the best looking Sadeg State teams in recent memory, and that's saying something, had lost out on the conference title to this football team. The Skyhawks were ripping through everyone in their path before the Dragons emerged from their den for a bounce-back late in the season. For the Governors, who were quietly relieved at the idea of not playing the Dragons, this spelled nothing but trouble.

They were coming off a second consecutive loss in the Rebel's Cannon Bowl, something Richard Steinheil will be taking flak on for years, and certainly a bit down in the dumps, but they knew they had to win this game. Cold Hill had robbed them, the Ranorian national champions, of the top seed despite their Big 8 crown, and it wasn't the first time that this had happened. With the NSCF being nearly as big as domestic college football these days in Ranoria, the two universities have gained a ton of notoriety, and their rivalry has thus quickly become a bitter one. If they lost this game, they wouldn't even get a shot at redemption.

Fortunately, it appears that the third edition this season of the 'Duel of Champions' will have the highest stakes of them all. Ramusok Capital kept it tight early, with two very physical football teams matching up well against one another. Whether Steinheil was the better coach, today, or sheer talent just took over, no one could truly say, but the Governors would prevail.

Now, while Richardson had two lethal running backs in Vice Jackson III and Kuenda Sello, Ramusok Capital had their own duo. Maverick Kvownowik, a senior, was their powerful inside runner, and he made his presence known in the first quarter, with seven carries for thirty yards and four broken tackles against a big, strong front seven for the Governors. Meanwhile, their sophomore, Tareq Cuisance, gave the entire defense fits, with three carries for 22 yards and a touchdown. Cuisance, a five star recruit a year ago, took the first score of the game in from eleven yards out, slashing up a narrow crease in the line of scrimmage and making a play to take his team's first lead of the game.

Now, to our more attentive readers, they'll know that Richardson's two backs have their own preferred styles. Jackson likes his C and D gap runs, stretching the defense out with his speed and dominating defensive backs with his size, while Sello prefers to charge right up the gut. But there's a difference between preferences and ability. Both runners are wholly capable of changing the dynamic of a football game with one touch, regardless of formation, scheme, or anything else.

But Sello kept things simple on Richardson's first drive: a characteristic goal line touchdown run would tie the thing up.

Both teams seemed intent on winning a war of attrition for the rest of the quarter, and it appeared that the Dragons were doing just that. Cuisance was displaying an incredible amount of agility, with another four carries going this time for thirty yards and two catches, he was becoming the focal point of defensive discussions, while Maverick Kvownowik carried a pair of defenders on his back for a three yard touchdown run to close out the first period.

Down 14-10, the Governors took to the ground, now mixing in a few quick, high percentage passes to pick up first downs and allow the defensive cast to come up with some adjustments. Their usual 'beat your man' philosophy wasn't working, with a bunch of burly, hit first linebackers being made fools of. Fortunately, their offense managed to wear out six and a half minutes that ended with Ifeatu Chineze driving a touchdown pass into the arms of none other than senior tight end Gunther Krause, who's production has declined steadily over the years.

With that, the Governors performed one of the riskier moves a defense can make: engage eight. Blitzing linebackers constantly led to a quick three and out, and Richardson came right back with another touchdown pass, this one a thirty yarder to top wideout Calvin Hale, to bring the score up to 21-17.

With such a quick change in momentum, the Dragons were forced to throw the football, Galip Na'Sugawara, their quarterback having trouble in that regard. It wasn't that he was a poor player, his team had averaged almost 35 points a game in the regular season, but Richardson's defense was just too tight. Even with fewer men in coverage, Jabyess Hawkins was a blanket for one side of the field, and it let the rest of the secondary focus on their man and offer assistance when necessary. Daquan Carter, the team's second corner, was having a great game as well, certainly bolstering the effort as a result. Neither of those two allowed a single catch in the first half.

Once the smoke cleared, the Governors couldn't complain. They managed to put up two more field goals while holding Ramusok Capital to just 17 in the first half, and with that kind of a come from behind lead, Steinheil was ready to to really pour it on. The team came out hitting hard, with Vice Jackson III eclipsing the 100 yard mark on the first drive of the third quarter and sprinting into the end zone to get up to 34-17. The Dragons weren't done yet, but with the defense giving them fits, they were off track in the third quarter. Malik Sherman tallied three tackles for a loss in that fifteen minutes alone, two on Cuisance, which severely hurt the rythm of the Dragons' offensive attack, and by the time the fourth quarter came around, it had become clear that even such a strong team as the Dragons could be worn down.

But who could blame them? With 27 carries, at that point, between Sello and Jackson, any team would begin to lose their edge. And Sello would pour it on in the end, with two drives sapping up twelve minutes of the clock thanks to a bunch of his work, and he was rewarded with another touchdown to sate his appetite.

With the win, the Governors survived a duel with a program that has ended their season on multiple occasions before today, and they did it without too much sweat off their fans' brow. Next week, they've earned the right to play the #1 seeded team in the NSCF: defending champion Cold Hill University. For the domestic champions, the time had finally come to establish which of these two dominant forces was superior. Richardson was the domestic champion, Cold Hill was the defending NSCF Champion. Richardson had retained their seat atop the Big 8, but Cold Hill was the regular season champion of the NSCF, by virtue of their #1 seed.

Deondre 'Diamond' Rhine and Ifeatu 'Ice' Chineze. Richard Steinheil and Chris Dale. Dexter Slaughter and Rodney Blades trying to outscore Vice Jackson III and Kuenda Sello.

Next week, it will all, finally, come to and end.
Last edited by Ranoria on Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:32 am

From twelve to eight, and the Salamantic Universities are still among them. The Professors recorded a 21-17 overtime win over Sadeg State to reach the second round of the NSCF playoffs for the first time, knocking their lifetime playoff record to a nice .500 (1 win, 1 loss). Banija's Loyola University were too much for the Fighting Irish (23-6), and will play the Palaeontological in the second round, all on our side of the bracket. On the other side, Richardson won 41-24 over Ramusok in the highest scoring game of the round, while Northern Moravica was the first Celestia Conference team to drop out of the race with a 27-21 loss to Baker Park's University of the Commonwealth. Waiting in the second round are Richardson-Cold Hill, Bowerstone-Baker Park, Saguenay-Palaeontological, and Stoneshore-Salamantic.

Out of those games, Bowerstone-Baker Park is probably the best one with two 11-2 teams, both champions of their conference. At the top of the NSCF, things are crowded with 9 teams at 10-3, 11-2 or 12-1. The sole 12-1 team was Cold Hill, and they still finished second in their conference (9-1) but still rose to the top of the OSPI list with a 3-0 finish to the season in the non-conference games. What I'm trying to say is that it's hard to point at any one team as the best team because things are so close. Cold Hill-Richardson is also in incredible game with a combined 23-3 regular season record. The best news is that both of my mentions for best game are in the other side of the bracket. On this side, the best team are 10-3 Saguenay and Salamantic - but don't get fooled by Palaeontological or Stoneshore. Worse records, but better wins.

And so, the second season of the Professors nears its end - whether it's this week, next week or the one after that - and it's been a treat. Wins over both Banijan rivals, a conference race that was exciting until the very last play of the season, fun non-conference games, and a playoff appearance. It's impossible that the national Gridiron assocation won't recognise the Professors as a popular factor, and that the assocation will divert more funds towards the team. Not just a few dedicated coaches, but a full coaching staff with - and this might be more important for a fleeting team like the Professors - one of the nation's largest scouting departments. For now, a few candidates have been spotted as head coach:

1) Head coach of the Willowbourne Saints, Philip Aldworth. A head coach of one of our 12 professional teams is always a contender for any coaching position. Aldworth has been atop the Saints' organisation for only a few years, and has taken them from perennial bottom feeders to champions of the last Ko-oren Bowl! Reportedly he's not seeking to leave the team, but he's open to an alternative at the very least. Aldworth excels at building a roster through new players, which is probably the biggest challenge in building the Professors. There might not be a better candidate in Ko-oren, the problem is that he is probably the most secure head coach in the league.

2) Head coach of the Aevanna Phoenix, Aolinai Aubel. The Phoenix aren't really seen as the best place for anyone. It's sometimes used as a penal colony in the freezing north, though it's not even the most remote team in the region. Aubel has ruled this team for nearly a decade, enforcing strict discipline, and turning players with poor disciplinary records into professionals with decent leadership or better.

3) Head coach of the Llandy Dragons, Tawfaff yChaddpwc. Llandy is another remote team, but one with a revolving door policy on most positions. yChaddpwc has worked in nine different capacities with the team, including two stints as offensive coordinator, four stints as defensive coordinator, and now finally promoted to head coach. As someone with a grasp on all areas of running a team, he's an outside contender for the position.

4) Defensive coordinator of the Sterrenwolde Dragonflies, Val Steenhagen. Lauded as brilliant defensive mind, coordinator of the best defence in the league for four of the last five years. Steenhagen knows exactly what qualities she needs at every position, combined with a proactive and strong scouting unit, this might be one of the best possible partnerships.

5) Head coach of the Aminey Bengals, Dada Descombes. Ko-orenite gridiron (and other sports) tend to be all about the system, the strategic execution, and defence. Descombes is a rare person as he focuses on the individual and their role on the team. To make the Professors their own entity and not just a light version of the national team, give them a head coach with a unique identity.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:51 am

Blue Thunder defense stars as they drop Saguenay 23-6 and advance to NSCF Quarterfinals

Blue Thunder defenders celebrate a key fourth down stop early in the fourth quarter

ISTRIA, MORAVICA- In most seasons, it is the Blue Thunder offense that is usually the celebrated unit. And for good reason- they are generally high-flying, scoring all sorts of points, playing at a level impossible for most schools to keep up with. But sometimes, it will be the Blue Thunder defensive unit that will step up. Especially when you get into the playoffs. It's the pressure of win-or-go-home. It's do or die at every level here. And although the Blue Thunder have an unprecedented amount of playoff success, they have learned that they cannot always rely on a high-flying offense to do everything. When the opposing defense is that good, they need to have their defense sometimes come out and play one hell of a ball game. And the time was coming- the Blue Thunder defense is filled with experience, with five senior starters and a total of 9 of their 11 starters being upperclassmen.

And today was that day. The BLue Thunder's offense has certainly taken a step back this season- you can tell by the numbers. VIa the adjusted stats, Loyola-Istria 'only' had the 7th best offense in all of college football. A slight dropoff for a team that usually is a fixture in the top 3 in the Adjusted offensive stats for total offense. Saguenay, their opponent on the day, had a better offense. But Ian Lautner tore his ACL two weeks ago, in Herzegovina City, on the last day of their regular season. A tragic ending to a great season for the Fighting Irish quarterback- especially seeing the way his side got shredded without their 'do-it-all' quarterback.

Saguenay's defense spent time licking their wounds after allowing Northern to drop 54 on them. And they came out today with energy, trying to put their stamp on the game, to try and really put Loyola-Istria to the sword. But the Blue Thunder defense came out and matched that energy. Chibuzo didn't have any throwing lanes, but neither did Ian Lautner's backup. Both defenses were just in the business of stuffing their opponents early on in the game. The Blue Thunder defense, egged on by a raucous Istria Lighting Yard, was generating all sorts of pressure on their Fighting Irish counterparts.

In the second quarter, the Blue THunder offense finally started to show life. It wasn't via a long, methodical drive however- no, it was via the big play. Sometimes, in college football, it's about being able to have the big plays to swing the momentum towards you. Before their first drive of the second quarter, the longest play from scrimmage, for either team, had been an 11 yard wheel route by the Fighting Irish, that came on 3rd and 20. On a 1st and 10, Rayan Willsonton, the tight end, ran a curl route up the middle of the field. He turned around and caught the football. As the defense swarmed on him, he pitched the ball back to Chidi Chinweike, who turned up field and was able to sprint past the Fighting Irish defense, who could not change direction quickly enough. An 8 yard pass turned into a 63 yard run by Chinweike for a touchdown.

And that was the game's first touchdown! And they led 7-0 after that. The Blue Thunder defense continued to apply all sorts of pressure to the Fighting Irish offense. Ranked as just the 12th best defense in the NSCF, they played above themselves, clamping down the hamstrung Fighting Irish offense, who was being ran by the redshirt freshman, Vincent Han. And the redshirt freshman was struggling. While he did have two weeks, making your first career start at one of the NSCF's most intimidating home venues, the Istria Lighting Yard, is not the coaches would have drawn it up. It was almost an impossible ask.

Late in the second quarter came the next score. Both offenses, after that long touchdown by the Blue Thunder, were still struggling to do much of anything. But the Blue Thunder had the playmakers on the day. Daron Dempsey was able to come off of the edge for the Blue Thunder, on a 2nd and 11 for Saguenay at the Fighting Irish 21, and strip sack Vincent Han. Of course, there was a fumble, and Ediresa Kinteh would be there to recover the football. He picked it up and rumbled to the 3 yard line. Another huge play for the Blue Thunder defense. 1st and goal for the Blue Thunder. Orjea Orjee pounded the ball in from 3 yards out, to make the score 14-0.

The Fighting Irish actually had a decent response to this- and it came on offense. An offense that hadn't done much of anything, especially where the quarterback had just turned the ball over and where the Blue Thunder faithful weddddre really dialing up the noise level, was always going to be in trouble. But Vincent Han responded extremely well. With the Fighting Irish dialing up the tempo, he actually stepped up. 6 plays and 76 yards later, a 13 yard touchdown pass to freshman Lessard-Park turned a 14-0 Blue Thunder lead into a 14-6 lead. Unfortunately for the Fighting Irish, as occasionally happens at this level, the point after attempt was botched, with the holder not catching the snap cleanly.

That did not help their momentum, of course. The second half was simply more dominance at the line of scrimmage by the Blue Thunder. The home team opened the 3rd quarter by really committing to the run, and simply stuffing the ball down the throats of the Fighting Irish defense. IT was really the only drive the entire game where they were able to move the ball with any kind of consistency, considering their first touchdown came courtesy of the big play, and their second came courtesy of a short field. It was a 12 play, 84 yard drive that took 6:45 off the clock. The drive ended with a 4 yard touchdown pass to Khalil Hauptmann, on second and goal, via a fade route.

That made the score 21-6, and neither offense did much of anything for the rest of the night. It was essentially a defensive grind. The BLue Thunder would just get one or two first downs and punt, and the Fighting Irish would do the same. Eventually in the fourth quarter the Quebecois side would start going for it on fourth down, but could not convert. The last scoring of the game happened early in the fourth quarter, when Vincent Han was forced to take a sack from Stephane Cournoyer-Deschner after he came in free off the edge. The final score was 23-6, in favor of the Blue Thunder.

Alanso Isa praised his players after the win. "It's tough to win at this level, especially playoff games, but we've been able to consistently do so over the years. To be the best, you've got to beat the best, and we did that right here by taking on, and then taking down, Saguenay. It's unfortunate that Ian Lautner went down with an injury up in Herzegovina City- you never want a player to go down like that. Fortunately, he still has a senior season. Regardless, we play against who we play. And this defense- absolutely stepping up. Even though we had good weather, neither offense did much of anything. But the defense was dominant. A full team effort to get this victory- I'm glad it happened like this."

He paused, and then continued. "Now, of course, we will travel to Natanians & Nosts, to play the N&N N-N Palæontological-Centred Research University. This will be a tough game. They are, of course, a #2 seed. Now, of course, we're pretty healthy for being 14 games into a football season- everyone's got knocks and bruises, nobody's at 100%, but no major injuries. Their biggest advantage, having not played a game in what will be 5 weeks by the time we get there, is their rest. Not having played for 5 weeks means their players are basically all at 100%. But they'll be rusty. And we shall be ready."

This is, of course, the Blue Thunder's 7th season as a member of the NSCF. And with this win, they've continued their streak of winning at least one game in every single postseason they've been a member. It's quite an impressive streak- a Pioneer Bowl win in NSCF 13, championships in NSCF 14 and NSCF 17, alongside winning at least one playoff game in NSCF 18, NSCF 19, and NSCF 20. And now, this will mean they've won at least one game in NSCF 21 as well. An impressive run for a program that's definitely elevated themselves to NSCF blue blood status.

Meanwhile, in Baker Park, Northern Moravica was eliminated from the playoffs by the University of the Commonwealth, by a score of 41-24. The score of that game was much closer than it appeared, with Northern Moravica scoring a late touchdown to make it respectable. But Northern Moravica, just two weeks after a massive statement win over Saguenay, ended their season not in triumph, but in a whimper. After getting to the championship game in back to back years, this first round playoff elimination hits hard.

Recruiting Roundup
- Loyola-Istria officials told reporters that they offered scholarships to Ranorian prospects HB Eric van Geel, and CB Alexander Ackermann. Per NSCF rules, of course, they could not comment further on the unsigned high school prospects
- Northern Moravica officials told reporters that they offered scholarships to OL Eric Modin and QB Vallienté Wagner-Young, both also out of Ranoria. Per NSCF rules, of course, they could not comment further on the unsigned high school prospects
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Minister

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:30 pm

UC stops Cougars, sets up re-match with BU
by Aaron Hardison

The University of the Commonwealth finally got the home NSCF playoff victory that had eluded them for 3 seasons, holding off Northern Moravica 27-21 at Gleason Field in front of 46,821, in what in all likelihood is the final home game in Coach Scott Newell's 28 year career on College Hill.

The Warriors will now move onto to face #4 Bowerstone, who they defeated 2 weeks ago in the regular season finale; should they advance to the semi-final, they would face the winner of Cold Hill & Richardson--another all Ranorian battle in the playoffs.

Although the NMU defense found a way to slow down the prolific UC offense, their offense couldn't overcome mistakes which cost them 10 points in the third quarter. When Lamin Kah scored on a 18 yard pass--his second of the afternoon--from Chris Fox with 5:11 left to make it 27-14, the slow trickle of the Metro Police began to be more noticeable around the edges of the field.

The Cougars added a late score, but when backup RB Timothy Smith recovered the ensuing onside kick, the result was academic, and NMU head coach Lance Kabuye sprinted across the field to shake hands and embrace Newell, while Kah commiserated with his many friends on the Cougar roster. Although he was held to 8 catches for just 93 yards, his pair of scores brought his tally to 24 and leaves him just 55 yards from 2,000 for the NSCF season.
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 29 Playoff Round

AO Twenty20 Runner-up

NSCF
Diplomat

Postby NSCF » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:17 pm

NSCF 21 PLAYOFFS - Quarterfinals

We be runnin' up that hill, with no problem.

Cold Hill University Buffalo (RAN) 52–43 Richardson University Governors (RAN)

Bowerstone University Bolts (ATH) 23–43 University of the Commonwealth of Baker Park Warriors (CBP)

N-N Palæontological-Centred Research University (NTN) 10–41 Loyola University Blue Thunder (BNJ)

Stoneshore College Bruins (COS) 7–9 Salamantic Universities Professors (KOR)

NSCF 19 PLAYOFFS - Semifinals

#1 Cold Hill University Buffalo (RAN) vs. #5 University of the Commonwealth of Baker Park Warriors (CBP)

#7 Loyola University (BNJ) vs. #11 Salamantic Universities (KOR)
Last edited by NSCF on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Deondre Rhine was nothing short of legendary against his school's greatest rival

Ifeatu Chineze, earner of 31 touchdown passes this season, stepped onto the field, helmet dangling loosely in hand. The Tundra was a brutal venue for a playoff game, in the northern reaches of Ranoria's winter. With both teams on the sideline, the anthem playing overhead, he stared daggers across the field, calm as frost made every breath visible.

Yes, it was a brutal venue for a playoff game, there could be no doubt in that. But he had done this before. Against a domestic champion Cold Hill squad, he had led his team to a 20-10 victory, along with heroic performances from Isaiah Bryce and Judas Wolfson, to earn a spot in the semifinal. Last year, they had missed the playoff by a hair, but this time, he wanted his crown. That had been on the headlines: "Ifeatu Chineze, bearer of the crown." The one to take the mantle from John Garrett and, before him, Derek McNair. This was his chance, with one victory already under their belt, to prove that he was worthy.

Deondre Rhine, ball in hand, saw his rival's glare, even from across the frozen ground. But for every vein of ice that ran Chineze's blood cold, an ember helped set his own ablaze. They had stolen it from him, his perfect performance, his championship victory. But it had been worth it. Between the last two NSCF seasons, and their most domestic season, Richardson had accrued a 25 game winning streak that they had shattered, and he would put an end to any kind of insolent beginning to one here and now. The media had raved about his legendary, game breaking performance in the Ranorian National championship, and, tightening his gloves, he decided then and there that he would give them something for the record books tonight. His team was the top seed in the NSCF, and they were the defending champions of this competition. He absolutely refused to go one and done in the playoffs with those kind of credentials.

"Yo! Rodney, Dex!" Rhine looked over at his shoulder to the wideouts who had led the team in yards and touchdowns, respectively, that season with ten, "F**k the play, whoever has Hawkins, go slant, and whichever one of you lucky bastards has Daquan Carter, make him look so bad that even his f**king grandma knows he's trash!"

It was obvious, really. Most teams had a clear number one wideout, and Richardson's man-to-man philosophy across the board worked like a charm, with their elite corners generally acting as a blanket on those top dogs. Granted, freaks like Lamin Kah or Khalil Hauptmann had burned them for it, and it was possible that one of Cold Hill's twin pass catchers could, but why do that when they could attack a weaker cornerback with just as potent of a weapon?

Rhine dropped back, and was disappointed to see that, while Rodney Blades was being covered by Daquan Carter, he had over top help from the safety. Thinking fast and shifting in the pocket, he caught his other target's eyes, and pointed upfield. For Dexter Slaughter, it was the only cue he needed. Jabyess Hawkins was a freakish athlete, but he didn't see the move coming. Just as Slaughter looked wide open, with room to run, the wind was knocked out of Diamond Rhine's lungs.

Atop him stood Malik Sherman, the monstrous sophomore defensive end. He had managed to keep his hold on the ball, but not by much. This wasn't going to be as easy as he thought, but, with help from his lineman, the quarterback stood up.

He hadn't signed up for easy.

He had come here, tonight, for an execution.

Chineze hadn't believed it. The sack looked like it could have slowed the march of Cold Hill's absurd, explosive offense, but no, on the second play from scrimmage, Deondre Rhine had let loose one of the longest passes he had ever seen. A gamble? Yes, but when Terrance Miller caught it, with a toe drag, at the edge of the end zone, no one seemed to mind. The pro-Buffalo crowd present roared its approval, and he had to match that. Fortunately, Chineze knew he had the best running back room in football behind him. They weren't just the national champions of Ranoria, they were, once again, the champions of the Big 8 conference. They had won in the toughest conference in college football, and he was determined to prove that it was no fluke by securing the gold.

While the team normally opened up running, this was one scenario that they loved to pull out a few wrinkles, if you can call a play action pass a wrinkle.

Kuenda Sello, rather than take the handoff for a dive, ran straight through the line of scrimmage, chipped a defensive tackle, and took off. The back ran a wide wheel, eventually getting to the point where he was sprinting straight down the sideline, and that's when Chineze hit him, elite accuracy allowing the back to keep every ounce of his terrifying momentum. The pass would have been good where he caught it, thirty seven yards downfield, but he wasn't satisfied, shrugging off one tackle, running through a second, and finally succumbing on a failed stiff arm down at the seventeen yard line. The deep reception wasn't something that Sello was used to, but he was more than happy to set up Vice Jackson III for a 17 yard touchdown gallop, the two backs, together, tying this shootout of a game up.

Chineze couldn't help but pat himself on the back. This would be one for the ages, but he was ready. He had everything he could ask for at his disposal. His health, a dominant supporting cast, one of the better arms in the history of college football, and a legendary head coach. After all, they were a championship organization, and this was what they lived and breathed for.

Diamond Rhine!

Diamond Rhine!

Diamond Rhine!

'Ice' Chineze got to his feet, albeit shakily. He liked it a lot better when it was the familiar cacophony of Dietrich Stadium's crown calling out his nickname, not this cheering for his rival that had gone on for a good five minutes now after Cold Hill's last touchdown pass, pushing them to a 31-21 lead. It was still early in the fourth quarter, but it seemed like all he could do to keep this game from turning into a blowout loss. Deondre Rhine, just like in the national championship, seemed to be guided by some otherworldly power, his arm strength and eternal arrogance combined with good luck, or play calling, to form an unstoppable wave of offense.

And Chineze? He'd been sacked five times already, and hit many more. Cold Hill was throwing blitzes at them from everywhere, occasionally lining up five, or even six, men at the line of scrimmage, leaving their star edge rushers alone against backs or tight ends. Vice Jackson and Kuenda Sello, who had combined for 27 carries and 119 yards, were performing admirably, but Cold Hill had decided to punish them every time they got a shot. Violent tackles, big shots to the ribs, anything that they could do to wear down the battering rams of Richard Steinheil's offense. As they lined up for a third and nine, something struck Chineze. He wasn't sure, for a moment, exactly what it was, but in a second he had it. Cold Hill had run this defense before. With the three wide receivers to his right, they would cheat their immedietely, and, with a pulling offensive line, Vice Jackson would hopefully have just enough speed to break the corner...and a big run.

"Tennessee, Tennessee, Tennessee!" He called out his audible, and in a second, pitched the football to his star running back.

Jackson wasn't known for his speed. Power, athleticism? Sure. But his straightline speed was severely underrated, and the Buffalo would pay a hefty price for not paying him that respect. He cut through the initial, reset line of scrimmage, his velocity soon increasing to what was over twenty miles an hour. Safety Zacharius Rosin was the only man to get a hand on him, and Jackson didn't even break stride from the smaller man's admirable attempt to run him down, charging in for a 44 yard touchdown to put them back into the game at 31-28.

Jackson was gassed though, that much was obvious, as he took a knee in the end zone. He wasn't used to taking this kind of physical abuse, and as tough as he was, every man has his physical limit, and he was approaching his.

Vice Jackson III did his best to live up to his Hall of Fame grandfather's legacy at Richardson University. Between the domestic and NSCF seasons, he accrued more than 6,600 yards and 50 touchdowns, all on the ground, with significant contributions in the passing game as well. His production slipped slightly in his junior year, despite his work being more intense than ever, just to keep pace with sophomore phenom Kuenda Sello.

Deondre Rhine shrugged. It was disheartening...but it sure as hell wasn't over. With 319 yards to his name at this point, he didn't quite feel like he was having the game that he wanted to have. Sure, four touchdown passes helped, but he wanted more. He wanted to dominate this Governor defense in a way that would expose them not just across Ranoria, but the entire world.

And he showed it on the next drive. Rhine answered in decisive fashion, going 4/7 on the next drive, and tossing up 69 yards to go along with a whopping fifth touchdown pass. He couldn't be stopped, not tonight, and his coaching staff knew it. That legendary losing effort? Now, with his head coach back in place, it was being brought back to life, surpassing even the greatest of expectations, to the point that, when Ifeatu Chineze fired his second touchdown pass of the night, he still wasn't worried. 38-35, and he somehow just knew that it wasn't going to last long, even pinned back deep, with six minutes left in the game. There was no discussion of running out the clock, no, and for good reason. Their quarterback was having what would likely end up being the greatest performance of his life, driving down seventy four yards in the air, and letting runner John Judge take in the touchdown from three yards out.

"They ain't wantin' this tonight coach!" Rhine grabbed his head coach, Chris Dale, by the collar, "We ain't gonna lose! This is our house, our game, our league!"

Rhine leapt up onto one of the team benches, facing the crowd, and roared. This game, this night, they were his to take.

45-35. No matter what they managed to do, this Governors football team just couldn't quite close the gap. Deondre Rhine was a wrecking ball. But in situations like this, it's best to put the ball in the hands of your best players. Despite the obvious philosophy of passing the football here, Kuenda Sello had only made one electrifying play so far, and putting the ball in his hands was never a bad thing.

Now, they'd been blessed, with three minutes left, with a good field position, but halfway through the play, it wouldn't have mattered. Sello, within six seconds, had put five yards of separation between himself and the nearest defender. For those of you whom don't know Sello, the kid has burners. Fifty nine yards, just over five seconds...and one touchdown, along with a two point conversion, to get within three points of the lead. Between Sello and Jackson, the two had done everything that could have been asked out of a pair of running backs, each contributing multiple big plays just to keep their team in the game. And, when an onside kick finally went their way, it seemed that the tables had turned.

Deondre Rhine watched from the sidelines, his mind starting to turn. They couldn't actually, conceivably lose, right? He'd given them five touchdown passes, no turnovers, and nearly five hundred passing yards. He'd been perfect, able to match a trio of stars in Richardson's backfield, and drive them to their knees.

But as they marched, wideout Calvin Hale picking up a fourth and eleven with just twenty nine seconds left on the clock, and called a timeout, it was clear that Richardson would score. They were on the one yard line, with the two best backs in the NSCF. They would score. That is, until they didn't.

Rather than kick a field goal, they'd gone for the win, and each back had gotten two tries at the game winner.

Rhine's eyes went wide.

They had won, 45-43. With a look to Chris Dale, the coach only gave him a signal, holding his fingers up and then pointing them forward. He was making something very clear: Pour it on.

When he took the field, at the one, he knew he could just throw the ball away, high enough to burn the remaining three seconds off of the clock, but where was the fun in that?

Deondre Rhine looked, with the rest of the offense, to the sideline, and then he took a deep drop. If this didn't work, they would be scorned, their fanbase would be disgusted. But, as it was, it did.

Rodney Blades caught the pass with nothing but grass around him sixty yards downfield, and skipped, literally, unapposed to the end of the field for a 99 yard walk-off touchdown.

The Cold Hill Buffalo, despite losing to Richardson in the Ranorian National Championship Game, have gone 2-1 against them in the NSCF this season, and are now 13-1 overall, with a tough matchup against Baker Park coming up next week. Should they win that game, they will have earned an opportunity to defend their NSCF crown from a season ago.

Ifeatu Chineze dropped to his knees, and then sat down, one arm resting on a knee. What the hell had happened?

He'd had more than enough help, both running backs had gone over one hundred and ten yards, and each notched at least one touchdown run. He hadn't turned the ball over once.

But he knew, and everyone knew, as Rhine was swarmed by his teammates. 561 yards, 6 touchdowns. What the hell? It was impossible to match, otherworldy, numbers that looked like they belonged in a video game, and he'd done it before, having broken both career highs by a single digit, but it was absurd.

'Ice' Chineze leaned his head back with a grimace. That championship that John Garrett had failed to secure had eluded him as well. The bearer of the crown, for all his excellence, just hadn't quite been enough.

To the casual viewer, the tears in his eyes could have been mistaken for the freezing rain that had replaced the customary snow just after the game ended. But, to anyone who looked more closely, to Vice Jackson III holding a sideline jacket over his friend, it was clear that the tears were running.
Last edited by Ranoria on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lumi is my NS mom

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Cold Hill University
Athletic Complex
Football Locker Room

Deondre Rhine groaned, pressing under his chest where he was sure that a bruise was forming. Malik Sherman had laid him out on the first snap of the game, and while he hadn't pulled his hoodie off to check, there was no doubt that the blow had caused damage that would last for a couple of days. Despite the pain though, he had worn a small smile all morning. Who could blame him? He had hit career highs in yards, and matched a career high in touchdown passes, against the only team to have handed the Buffalo a loss this season. He had, practically with only the help of his receiving core, outgunned Ifeatu Chineze, Kuenda Sello, and Vice Jackson III. It was a performance that could put him into the RFL next season, should he so wish. But unfortunately, he thought as he pulled out his phone to check the latest recruiting buzz, his missteps in high school meant that he would have to work even harder to prove himself.

He scrolled through twitter, seeing that most of Ranoria's top 5 recruits had signed in Banija, surprisingly. Loyola-Istria had managed to snag Eric van Geel, no shocker there, but the fact that Alexander Ackermann had turned down Richardson University, where cornerbacks were often put on a pedestal and developed into game-breaking talent, for the Blue Thunder was a surprise. Eric Modin had also scorned Richardson and their vaunted offensive line, electing instead to head to Banija's Northern Moravica, a mean, hard-nosed football team that would turn him into a bear.

And, finally, quarterback Vallienté Wagner-Young had made his decision, he, too, was headed to Northern. That one made sense. While he had been considering Cold Hill, Rhine knew he never would have let the kid beat him out, and he could have immediate success with the Cougars. After all, that Chae Heung Kim had been a top recruit out if Quebec, and he'd been a world beater for that program.

As he slid his phone into his backpack though, he flinched. He had been sliding it into the same pocket as that needle...a needle had had yet to throw out. His reaction was reflexive, but he peaked into the pocket of his bag, after all, his hand had been almost all the way into the pouch. And that's when the rock dropped into his stomach: The needle wasn't there.

The quarterback stood up hurriedly, his heart beating faster already. If someone had found it, he could be done, over. The fact that he had emptied the needle in his dorm toilet didn't help, after all, it would only look like he had used it.

"Rhine." He turned, and saw Chris Dale, the older man's face stalwart, impossible to decipher. "Come with me."

Rhine handed him the cup. He had told him that, no, he hadn't taken it. Actually, he had explained as much as he could without telling Dale who had given him the option in the first place. But it hadn't mattered, his coach was taking every possible precaution with a player whom had yet to win his trust off the field.

"Look, Rhine..."

Deondre waved him off, "No, coach, it's fine, I get it. You're in hot water as it is."

"Rhine!" Dale grabbed the man's shoulder and steeled himself, waiting for his young quarterback to turn around. "Listen, son. I believe that you've gotten this thing turned around, I do. But I have to do my due diligence. I want you to know, I have no doubt that you will pass the test. You're doing everything right for us, and I don't want to judge you on your past failures."

The quarterback turned back around, remaining silent for a moment, and allowed himself a smile. Even if his coach was lacking total transparency, the words he'd said were some he had been waiting to hear for over a year now. Because of course he did not trust Rhine entirely. He simply did not want to create a rift with his starting quarterback. "Thanks, coach."

Rhine turned around, walking backwards now, "I've got a test to study for, coach. See ya around."

He had been tempted before, that much was very true. The offering of a needle, of steroids, of the boost that they could give him, was intoxicating, but he was better than that. He had built himself up, led his team to a 12-1, top seeded record. All on his own, without the winstrol, without the androgen, without the testosterone. He had thrown for forty one hundred yards, he had thrown thirty six touchdown passes. While there was a distinct possibility that it would give him a competitive edge, to further transcend what he could do, there was a chance that he would throw all of that away in pursuit of it.

That wasn't worth it. He couldn't throw away his dreams, not after everything that so many members of his family had helped him. Especially when everything he had ever dreamed of was just around the corner.
Lumi is my NS mom

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:54 am

The Professors graduate to the Semifinals!

The Professors have been given their own full-time staff - no more leeching off of national team personnel - as well as room to practice and a freer reign over playing locations. For both years of the Professors' existance, the team has bounced between Sterrenwolde, Mayara, and Mawrystwyth. That's unlikely to change, and even more locations will probably be added to the home venue rotation - but at least the Professors can dictate which stadium to use for which game from now on. In addition, practice time is now guaranteed, with coaches given more time with their units (or even the entire team) leading up to games. While students can't be told to study a certain major at a certain university in order to keep the team together for longer, this should be a small step in the right direction.

Perhaps the biggest announcement was assigning a coaching staff for just the Professors. Several coaches will be drafted from lower league teams, those in a minor league system as feeder teams for one of 12 professional teams at the highest level, while others are pulled from local teams all over the nation.

In the offseason, a designated head coach, personnel manager and team chairman will form the rest of the coaching staff together. This will be a full staff, from coordinators, to position coaches, including a few people appointed for scheduling team meetings, logistics, and to deal with anything else that comes up when you ship a team across the multiverse in addition to across an archipelago. An impressive scouting and analysis department completes the hirings.

Special teams will be given extra attention - especially as the Salamantic Universities beat Stoneshore on account of the sport's most overlooked unit.

A low scoring game, courtesy of bend-don't-break defences, eventually saw our proud purple party win 9-7 over the Cosumarite team. Next up is Loyola University - the third game between the two with a 1-1 record over the regular season. At stake is a place in the NSCF Grand Final. Obviously, the Professors never reached this far already, but they're so close now, and they've beaten Loyola before - so don't count them out. Unfortunately, out of Banija's teams, it had to be Loyola. Northern Moravica as an opponent would have added a nice amount of fuel to the Battle of the Ancients (somehow, still the game's unofficial name). The other semifinal features Cold Hill and the Commonwealth.

Against Stoneshore, the offences showcased incredibly long drives, taking 7-9 minutes of the clock most of the time, but resulted in critical fumbles, missed field goals, and so on. While not a bad game from any unit, we can imagine the fans feel like they've witnessed a letdown more than anything. Juldhauthaunden launched two interceptions of his own - from the opposing 21- and 8 yard line. Stoneshore coughed up the ball on four occasions on Salamantic territory: an interception in the first half on the goalline, two fumbles in the third quarter, from the 31 and the 17, and another interception on a hail mary attempt as time ran out in the fourth. The turnovers totalled to 8, as in addition to Juldhauthaunden's interceptions, Nekker let a tight spiral fumble through his hands right to the safety in overtop coverage, and Hinken failed to secure the ball in a run up the middle. Still, one offensive attempt did make it through. Stoneshore took a 7-6 lead early in the fourth quarter, a 6-yard run following a 48-yard run to set up a first and goal.

On a more spectacular notice, drives did get extended with some trickery as well. Punter Silveira flew by the line of scrimmage twice, carrying for a first down, once up the middle on a 4th-and-2, and once off to the left for a spectacular 15-yard run, where 10 was needed. Whenever the offence stalled, kicker Hase converted three of these drives into a field goal. The first was a 22-yarder in the first quarter, then taking a 6-0 lead towards the end of the second quarter on a 48-yard field goal, and then securing the win on a 37-yard field goal with a minute left on the clock. The kickoff then pinned Stoneshore deep into their own half, with enough time to warrant the hail mary attempt, but ultimately falling short.

With the win, the Professors bring their all-time playoff record up to 2-1. The team will travel to Banija with almost the entire team, there are some concerns about Hooligan, Desjardins, Hoddle, Chiba, and Nislondhaunthen.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Minister

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Warriors to face champs in Semis
by Aaron Hardison

The University of the Commonwealth have advanced to reach the last 4 of the NSCF playoffs for the first time, after they defeated Bowerstone 43-23. The victory means that the Warriors will travel to face off against the top-ranked, defending NSCF champions, Cold Hill University from Ranoria, for a place in the final, to be played at the BBP Stadium in Belle Haven.

It was another comprehensive win for Scott Newell's side, as they defeated the #4 Bolts for the second time in three weeks by a 20 point margin.

WR Lamin Kah got his immediate goal out of the way early on, as he took his second reception of the first UC drive 42 yards to just inside the 10, putting him over 2,000 on the NSCF season. The home crowd knew they had witnessed history, and broke into spontaneous applause for the junior from Banija, who acknowledged the crowd with wave followed by a briefly bringing his hands together in prayer. Two plays later, Chris Fox dove in from 2 yards to make it 7-0 and the UC band seemed to put an extra spirit into "Fight for the U of C" for the black & gold crowd of fans surrounding them.

It was 30-14 at halftime, as Kah had added a TD reception to his stat line. A BU FG to open the 3rd quarter made the score 30-17, and following a 3 pointer for UC, the Bolts drove again down the field and punched the ball in, but the extra point was blocked and the margin was 10.

Kah hauled in his second scoring pass, a 31 yard catch & run with 1:41 elapsed in the 4th quarter that pushed the lead to 40-23, a final field goal with 4:28 left in the game provided the final score.

Kah finished with 9 catches for 188 and 2 scores, pushing his totals to 133 receptions, 2,133 yards and 26 TDs.
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 29 Playoff Round

AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:21 pm

School Pep Rally, day before NSCF Semifinal

Alanso Isa was speaking at a pep rally the school was holding before their semifinal. The last two years, Loyola-Istria had been overtaken by their archrivals, Northern Moravica, in the neverending race to wear the crown in the NSCF. NSCF 19, Northern Moravica beat Loyola-Istria in the NSCF semifinals, en route to their first ever NSCF Championship. Last season, Loyola-Istria had lost to Cold Hill University on the way to their first ever championship. And Mar Sara Tech, who beat them in the NSCF title game in NSCF 18, had won their first ever championship against Loyola-Istria. The message, of course, was simple- the road to a championship is through the Istria Lighting Yard.

"Blue Thunder faithful!" The head coach spoke into the microphone. And the volleyball arena was packed. The basketball arena, of course, being used for NSCAA tournament basketball games, could not be booked. But the volleyball arena held 7,000, and it was packed with students. They wanted to make the Istria Lightning Yard on Saturday into a fortress- one so impenetrable, one so intimidating, that the Salamantic Universities, in their first ever semifinal, would not stand a chance in that atmosphere.

"We all know that the road to the title goes through the Blue Thunder!" And they cheered again. "What this program has done in 7 seasons in the NSCF is nothing short of outstanding. This is our sixth semifinal appearance- absolutely outstanding. And we're consistently playing these semifinals at home, showing that we don't just get hot at the right time- this is a true blue blood program we have. But look at the last four seasons of the NSCF. NSCF 17, we were the champions. NSCF 18-20, the champion had to beat us in the playoffs. The road to the title literally goes through Loyola-Istria."

"And we need your energy on Saturday!" Just then, the band started playing the school fight song. There was a rendition of it- long enough to where the head coach had to stop. When they were done, the head coach continued. "The Salamantic Universities are coming in here, thinking that this year is their year. They think that they can beat us at our home stadium, in front of this crowd. But can they?" The whole crowd yelled, a very loud, booming no. "The Salamantic Universities think that they'll be able to hear their snap counts in tomorrow's whiteout crowd. But will they?" And once again, they boomed no.

"This is college football. It's not just about the 11 players we have on the field. It's about the entire community- it's a team effort for all of us to get there. The fanbase, the community, the players, the students, everyone doing their part. And you can do yours by turning up on Saturday, turning up early, and cheering loudly! We may have the afternoon slot, but we will show the Salamantic Universities exactly how much passion we have, how much love we have, for Blue Thunder football!"

Isa, after his speech, stepped down from the podium. He signed pictures, and took photos with all sorts of members of the Blue Thunder faithful. But his mind was back to the game. How could he devise a gameplan to beat the Salamantic Universities? The last time the two schools had played, the Ko-orenite side's defense had smothered Chibuzo. They forced him into bad throws, dominated the line of scrimmage, and won a low-scoring game.

Even though he was doing a meet and greet with all sorts of fans, his mind was on one thing- how to scheme his way past an opponent that knew them so well, an in-conference opponent in the semifinals that had already beaten them. He had designed a new sort of strategy- moving Khalil Hauptmann and Islan all over the line of scrimmage. Islan in the slot, Hauptmann in the slot, Islan on the outside- changing the personnel groupings, confusing the defense. Would it work? Those strategies had worked in the quarterfinals, as the Blue Thunder won 41-10 in Natanians & Nosts to get to this point. But could it work in the semifinal? He'd find out soon enough.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

NSCF
Diplomat

Postby NSCF » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:01 pm

NSCF 21 PLAYOFFS - Semifinals

It snowed a bit this morning. Felt like a November rain.

Cold Hill University Buffalo (RAN) 50–34 University of the Commonwealth of Baker Park Warriors (CBP)
Loyola University Blue Thunder (BNJ) 20–17 Salamantic Universities Professors (KOR)
Last edited by NSCF on Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Corrin Fairless, late in the fourth quarter against the Salamantic Universities

Corrin Fairless, the Blue Thunder's star cornerback, was standing on the sideline. There was 19 seconds left in the game. The Blue Thunder had the football, and had a 4th and 1 at their own 45 yard line yard line. It was decision time for Alanso Isa. The clock was stopped- the Salamantic Universities had used their final timeout after stopping Chibuzo just a yard shy. So little time left in the game. The Professors didn't have any timeouts. But of course, giving them the opportunity to return a kick, or go all out to block a punt, could be dangerous.

Corrin looked at his teammate, Banta Jobe, sitting next to him. "You think we're going for it here?"

"Look at coach yelling man." Banta Jobe replied. "We're definitely going for it." IT was a risk- but it was a chance to end the game right here. This had been one hell of a matchup- both teams were dead tired. Going for the win was a move that made a lot of sense, getting the first down to end the game literally on that play. And, of course, the analytics said to go for it in this situation. Corrin Fairless, like everyone else on the sideline, stood up. All the team needed was a yard. The cornerback yelled in support of his teammates.

"C'mon Loyola!" He screamed from the sideline. "Let's end this!" The men in white and purple lined up against the men in Navy blue. All the Banijans would need was a yard. Chibuzo had a hard count- the Professors didn't jump. In the goal line formation, he gave the ball to Orjea Orjee. But Fairless saw this coming from a mile away. Abe Bootsma timed the snap perfectly, and the Blue Thunder center and left guard could not get much more than a hand on him. Bootsma met Orjee almost as soon as he got the football. He nailed him in the backfield for a 2 yard loss.

There was noise- but it wasn't the boom from the home fans. The Professors sideline was going crazy. The two purple sections, in the northwestern corner of the stadium, were going crazy. Loud enough to be audible, as everyone wearing white(Except for those on the field) was silent. Corrin Fairless grabbed his helmet. 15 seconds- how many plays could the Professors run? They needed yards to get into field goal range. Their first play, Juldhauthaunden threw the ball away. But with 10 seconds left, he decided to attack Fairless. Fairless had the positioning on Lindeberg. He saw the football- his eyes got wide. He broke in front of the ball, jumped, and got his hands on it as Lindeberg jumped on him.

But Lindeberg fought like hell for the football. As Fairless was going down, Lindeberg ripped it away from him and they came down together, in a heap. It was an incredible catch with four seconds left. The clock, of course, stops in college with the first down, and the Professors were able to spike it. One second left. Fairless slammed the turf in frustration. "Damnit!" He yelled as he went to the sideline after the spike, and ripped off his helmet. He was seething that he couldn't come down with the catch. He went to the sideline and took a knee with everyone else, as Hase came on to try and tie this game.

Fairless couldn't help but blame himself. IF he held onto that ball, he just knocked it down, the Professors would be throwing a Hail Mary. However, he looked up. The crowd was going nuts, trying to distract the kicker. Hase signalled for the football, the snap came, and he slammed his foot through it, and the ball went through the uprights. Overtime! Fairless slammed his fist to the ground. But wait! The head coach had just barely gotten his last timeout in, to ice the kicker. One of the edge guys on the field goal block unit, Boy Secka, was still on the ground on the field. Giving Hase more time to think about the biggest kick of his life.

Meanwhile, Isaac Lutaboke walked up to him. "Hey, Corrin!" The Special Teams Coach said. "Secka's hurt. Get on the field- you're the edge guy now." Fairless jogged out onto the field. He got to his position. He waved his arms in the air, trying to get the crowd to make all the noise they could. He then got into stance. He had a perfect view of the football. As soon as the center's arm started moving he burst and flew around the edge. He was clearly beating his blocker off the block. But could he get back to the middle of the field in time? He saw the holder catch the ball, and Hase start to moving toward it. Fairless dove, with his outstretched arms just as Hase was driving his foot through the ball....

Blue Thunder make their 4th ever NSCF Championship Game with 20-17 victory over the Salamantic Universities

The overhead view of the famous 'Loyola Whiteout' just before the kickoff of the Loyola-Istria v. Salamantic Universities Semifinal

ISTRIA, MORAVICA- What a game! The path to the NSCF Title does indeed go through Istria. The Blue Thunder, no matter what, find themselves in the thick of the playoff hunt each and every season. It's a testament to the job Alastair Jobs did building this program, and it's a testament to the job that Alanso Isa has done, maintaining the incredibly high standards of Blue Thunder football. This year, the semifinal opponent was a very familiar one, one that the Blue Thunder have gotten to know quite well over the last few seasons- the Salamantic Universities.

The Ko-orenites were just in their second season in the NSCF, and yet, they had already built themselves into a powerhouse program. Many programs, faced with having to compete with the pair of Banijan schools in the Celestia Conference, would be depressed. There's a reason the Celestia has so much turnover. But the Salamantic Universities, even if they did not ask for it, were more than up for the challenge. They beat both Northern Moravica and Loyola-Istria in Ko-oren this past season. They, of course, won two road playoff games this season, as the #11 seed, to get to the Semifinal.

And with the country seemingly rallying behind their NSCF school, the fans of the Salamantic Universities showed up in full force. According to preliminary numbers from the South Moravica Hospitality Board, this was the best weekend for hotels in Greater Istria across the span of the entire season(not including, of course, Northern Moravica's visit). NSCAA 11 games are also in town, of course, but they estimate nearly 10,000 fans made the journey from Ko-oren. A lot without tickets. And it made for quite a tailgating scene. When the game time, originally scheduled for afternoon, was moved to a night kickoff, it seemed as if all of University Park was packed with fans tailgating. Obviously, all sorts of Blue Thunder grills and tailgate tents and all sorts of things could be seen, but the usual tailgate lot that the University reserves for visiting fans was filled by 11 AM- even though the game wasn't for 8 more hours at that point. It had the potential to create chaos, but Professors fans were able to tailgate alongside Blue Thunder fans with minimal issues. Still, it prompted the Loyola-Istria Athletic Director, Patrick Zervos, even wrote an open letter to the numerous athetic departments that supply players to the Salamantic Universities squad, apologizing for the University 'vastly underestimating' the size of the fan contingent that would fly in from Ko-oren.

But you're here to read about the game, right? Well, it was entertaining and hard-fought the whole way through. The Blue Thunder, with their defense playing extremely well the last two weeks, decided to kick the ball off and get the defense on the field. And, of course, get the raucous crowd, all dressed in white, into the game. But Dagunak Juldhauthaunden and the Professors offense was unfazed. In their quarterfinal in Cosumar, the name of the game for them was the long, methodical drive- as well as numerous trick play. But this opening drive was long and methodical. They simply pounded away at the Blue Thunder. They embarked on a 17 play, 80 yard drive, that took 9:23 off the clock, and then ended in Jurre Hinken leaping over the offensive line into the end zone for the game's first score. The purple section went wild, of course.

The teams traded punts for a period of time after that. But then it would be the Blue Thunder's turn to try and score in the second quarter. A quality punt return by Corrin Fairless gave the Blue Thunder good field position, even though they were still down 7-0. With the drive starting at their own 45, the Professors called a safety blitz. Chibuzo read the safety blitz perfectly, however. Khalil Hauptmann, who was in the slot, would never be able to be covered by a linebacker. If Chibuzo hits Hauptmann in stride, that's an easy touchdown. But Chibuzo put it a little in front of Hauptmann. Hauptmann was able to track the ball, however, and dive for the football to make the great catch. On 3rd and goal from the 3, lined up in a pistol with two tight ends, the Chromatik national, Dustin Andreas Jerome IV, picked the perfect time to catch his first touchdown of the season. 7-7, 10 minutes left in the quarter.

The game was more defensive for most of the rest of the half. However, with 50 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, the Blue Thunder had a 3rd & 9 from their own 25. They ran a halfback draw for Nathaniel Islan. But while it seemed that was a play to run the clock, considering the Professors had no timeouts, Islan had other ideas. Islan was able to find some open field, beat the safety, and get a huge gain, down all the way to the opposing 30. 45 yards. That drive ended in an 11 yard touchdown reception for the Blue Thunder's other tight end, Rayan Willsonton, with just 4 seconds left in the half. 14-7, the Blue Thunder led at halftime.

This was an incredibly competitive game. The Blue Thunder went three and out on their first drive of the 3rd quarter. The Professors went three and out as well. But as Silveira lined up, on the fourth and 3 to punt the football, he didn't actually punt it. He took two steps forward, and ran with it. He had 2 fourth down conversions a week ago in Cosumar, and now converts another fourth down. He ran for 11 yards, easily getting the first down. Alanso Isa was visibly upset at his players for allowing that. The Professors continued to drive down the field. But on 3rd and goal, from the six, they ran another trick play. A pre-motion snap to the quarterback. He handed it off to Chillarie Yowarie, who pitched it back to Nekker. A double reverse! But as the defense swarmed on Nekker, Dagunak Juldhauthaunden slipped past and was wide open. Nekker lofted the ball to his quarterback, and it was an easy reception. Touchdown! Mid-way through the 3rd quarter, 14 all.

Both defenses got tighter. That was the last touchdown scored in the game, for either side. The Blue Thunder had a field goal in the 3rd quarter. And then, the Professors return man, while returning the kickoff, fumbled. The Professors, even backed up at their 19 to start the drive, stood up with their backs straight- two runs for no gain, and then a 6 yard sack on 3rd and 10 ended the drive. Fortunately, That meant the Blue Thunder went into the fourth quarter leading by just six points. Senior kicker Ensa Gassama was 2/2 on the day. And he had to make another big play. The returnman for the Professors, on this ensuing kickoff, was about to break one. He hit the crease hard, and was racing down the sideline. With one man to beat, the Blue Thunder kicker saved the touchdown on the first play of the final quarter by making a shoestring tackle at the 50 yard line.

The Professors ended up settling for a field goal on that drive, and then the teams were trading punts for a good chunk of the fourth quarter. Usually defenses get tired- but in this game, they settled in and were both playing brilliantly in the fourth quarter. Each team only had one first down in the entire quarter. That brings us forward to the Blue Thunder's last drive of the game. The Professors, of course, having two timeouts left. 1:10 left. A Chibuzo 7 yard run. Then, an Islan run for no gain. Then, a Chibuzo run for 2 yards. Fourth and 1, 19 seconds left. The Blue Thunder going for it at their own 45. And then losing yards, as nobody blocked Abe Bootsma.

You could feel the nerves. Was it a bonehead decision to go for it? Well, of course, the analytics say you should go for it on Fourth and 1, almost every time. And now, they had to trust the defense. Isa called a big blitz on the Professors first play, forcing their quarterback to throw it away. On the second play, it seemed as if their quarterback threw the ball directly to Corrin Fairless- but somehow, Lindeberg came up with the ball. It speaks to the passion the Professors play with, it speaks to the hunger they have to win. It's hard to describe. Fairless had the beat on the ball. He was in front of Lindeberg. He stepped in front of Lindeberg, and got his hands on the football. But Lindeberg did immediately after, ripping the football out of the hands of Fairless.

It gave the Professors life. With just seconds left on the clock, they lined up to kick what would be the game-tying 47 yard field goal. Masafumi Hase actually put his first attempt right down the middle- except, of course, Isa had just gotten the time out in, to ice the kicker. And what would happen next would forever go down in Blue Thunder lore. Corrin Fairless lined up on the edge. He timed the snap perfectly, getting a great jump. He raced around the edge, and dove, and blocked the field goal! He got two big hands on it, and sent the ball flying sideways. It went straight to the arms of Adama Ceesay, who simply caught the ball and fell on the ground.

What a win it was for the Blue Thunder! The fans breathed a huge sigh of relief. They took to the field! There was despair on the sideline of the Salamantic Universities. It was all sorts of chaos. The student section was pouring onto the field. Tears from players like Tage Naastland or Jurre Hinken, who are likely facing their last game. Alanso Isa taking a gatorade shower. He shook hands with his counterpart, and congratulated them. The purple section, with the fans from Ko-oren, were applauding their boys. They knew that the Professors had left it all on the field, and what they had done in two seasons, in one of the sport's toughest conferences, was nothing short of brilliant.

What a game it was, and what a win it was! Now, the Blue Thunder will be taking a flight to Baker Park. Who will they meet in the final? None other than the school that eliminated them, almost exactly one year ago, right here at the Istria Lightning Yard- Cold Hill University. Cold Hill trying to finish 15-1 with a second straight championship. And they haven't lost since Week 2- giving them, to date, 13 wins in a row. To do that would put them on the pantheon, to claim that maybe they are building one of the greater dynasties this sport's ever seen. Back-to-back titles, especially doing so with only one loss, are nearly impossible. Just ask Loyola- they were in this exact situation in NSCF 18, trying to follow up their NSCF 17 Title with a one loss championship campaign. They almost did it, before falling, at the Stadium of the Restoration no less, to Mar Sara Tech.

Cold Hill gunning for their second straight title. The Blue Thunder gunning for their third overall, which would put them in rarefied air. Blue Thunder v. Buffalo. Chibuzo v. Rhine. Dale v. Isa. Celestia Champions against the #1 overall seed. It's all about Cold Hill v. Loyola, with the championship at stake. What a game that will be.
Last edited by Banija on Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:45 pm

End of an Era: Repeating History
Richardson University, Richardson, Ranoria
Student-Accessible Private Park Area

Chineze cringed at the unintelligible scream that was practically spat out of Vice's mouth. The beast of a man was furious. He had wanted this championship, the perfect final collegiate season. He'd wanted to drag Cold Hill to the ground. Instead, they'd lost to the Buffalo twice, and been absolutely humiliated in the nation's largest stadium against their rival, really the school's biggest rival, Loyola-Istria.

So, despite the 11-2 record, the Big Eight Championship...the season was a failure. The Governors were held to the pinnacle of excellence, and they still hadn't held a championship ring in the NSCF. They had lost three of four rivalry games, and, perhaps worst yet, they'd only won one playoff game. Meanwhile, their rivals were in the championship game for the second year in a row.

The two sat in silence, they'd come out here, at 6 am, just to get away from their dorm. It wasn't as if they could sleep. Vice continued to seethe, one of the best backs the school had ever produced, and it wasn't enough.

"I don't think I'm ready to leave." Ifeatu broke the silence, bundled up in multiple layers, and a pair of blankets, while his friend wore a hoodie over a ragged cutoff shirt. Well, that was just a guess on Chineze's part, but he knew his friend tended to wear his old high school attire after games.

"What do yo-Oh." Jackson caught himself. Chineze had adapted himself so well, especially with his dialect, that he almost forgot that his quarterback would be returning to play football in Banija next season.

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I want to play in Banija, it's always been my dream, but," Chineze knew that leaving Richardson was going to be hard. This school, and this country, had done so much for him in the last three years. This football program had given him a taste of that fame, glory that he'd always wanted...along with a championship, even if not in the NSCF. Even if he had lost two years in a row to Loyola Istira.

But it didn't feel complete yet.

"I just couldn't match him, John Garrett, I mean." He remembered, in his first game against Cold Hill in the playoffs, the now professional quarterback calming his nerves, helping him find the resolve, and the confidence, to win that football game. "Statistically, success, any of it. The guy was unstoppable, and I just wasn't able to quite do what he could."

"Piss off, Ice." Jackson quieted that talk, and quickly. "Do you know how many times I've heard an entire stadium chanting my name?" His now former quarterback shook his head. "Once. In high school. The fanbase adores you. You've given them highlights, a ring, and a ton of wins. Garrett was a legend, but so are you."

Chineze allowed himself a small smile. It helped a bit, but he and Vice were close now, and he knew the runner would do a say to make him feel better, even if it wasn't particularly true.

"And, more importantly, you worked your ass off. I saw you in the film room, especially after you struggled your sophomore year. You worked like a dog and fixed your weaknesses, turned them into strengths. If you hadn't had to overcome that, you'd be like the 'Diamond,'" he put obvious inflexion into Rhine's nickname, mockingly so, "throwing a shit ton of picks, too. Instead, you had six scores for every pick, it's nuts."

Chineze would have let himself shed a few tears at his friend's implorement, but it was cold as hell, they would have frozen anyway. Instead, he tossed one of his blankets onto the running back, laughing, "Don't get all feelsy now, Vice."

The two huddled up into their respective blankets, now, to ward off the frozen climate around them.

Just like John Garrett before him, Chineze had failed to bring his school an NSCF championship. But to say that he hadn't had a successful career would be nothing short of blasphemy. With 66 NSCF passing touchdowns, and more than 70 against domestic competition, Chineze is one of the best quarterbacks in Governors' history. Just because he couldn't quite match what Derek McNnair and John Garrett did, statistically, can not take that away from him.

Along with Calvin Hale and Vice Jackson III, he formed the core of a devastating Richardson attack, one that scored the third most points in the NSCF this season, and won a domestic national championship for the Governors. This team will be missing the passer's lethal accuracy and steady hand at the position, with only Beacon Murray and Angelo Rosin appearing as suitable replacements after a run of three straight elite quarterbacks for the Governors in Derek McNair, John Garrett, and, finally, Ifeatu 'Ice' Chineze. Statistically, Chineze is, obviously, the second most prolific NSCF passer in Governors quarterback, of six to actually get snaps. He also managed to beat out John Garrett in terms of yards per attempt, with 9.63 to the now Indianapolis Hogs passers's 8.94.

Besides that, Chineze had to go through a great deal in order to take the starting job for the Richardson Governors. As a freshman, QB Alton McNair made a late commitment to the school, hoping to usurp his brother as the best passer in the school's history. In a chaotic season that somehow saw the Governors in the NSCF championship game, Chineze beat out both McNair and incumbent starter Tucker Wolfe. His sheer arm talent and accuracy were insurmountable, and, even splitting time, he managed 18 touchdown passes. This was despite a fanbase clamoring for the next McNair, and a coaching staff that loved Wolfe's knowledge of the playbook.

As for Jackson, his 741 carries, 3,671 yards, 29 touchdowns, all rank first among Governors running backs in the NSCF, easily beating out Melvin Strong's totals. With 4,819 total scrimmage yards and 37 scrimmage touchdowns, normally we would say it's going to be hard to replace a player that made a quality back like "Big Time" Strong look pedestrian. As it is, we already know that, by next season, Sello will have passed Jackson up, even with the latter already in the pros. Strong has openly admitted that his success, partially, is due to having to give everything he had to keep pace with Kuenda Sello's dogged work ethic.

And, finally, Calvin Hale. Hale only really had one solid season of production as a Governor, with 1,195 yards in his final, junior, season...a total that exactly doubled his overall NSCF statistics. Hale wasn't on the same level as Johnny Farmer or Richardson's top ever NSCF wideout, Kieran Kweo-Atkison, but he was a top dog wideout who kept the ball moving and did everything that could have ever been asked of him. Fortunately, freshman Baraka Hali, fresh off a 660 yard, 8 TD season, is ready to take up the mantle of being Richardson's top target.

With these three leaving for the pros, once again an era of Richardson's leadership in the locker room is moving on, thus is life in collegiate football. But, just like before, this team will always find a way to come back as strong as ever.

Chineze was one of the best Governors quarterbacks in history, and while he did not match his own lofty expectations, the quarterback far exceeded everyone else's. Skeptics to the idea of bringing in a Banijan recruit at quarterback were rendered silent by his prolific play.
Lumi is my NS mom

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:38 pm

All-World: Deondre Rhine Topples Strong Defense, Carves a Path to Second Straight NSCF Championship

Was there ever any doubt? The Warriors have a strong defense, and their offense was able to keep fans watching until the end, but Rhine's overwhelming talent was just too much to handle

To be frank, this thing was one of the best games of the NSCF season for three quarters. Lamin Kah took everything that was thrown at him and managed to keep picking up first downs. A fan-recorded video actually caught head coach Chris Dale on the sidelines saying "I miss von Arris," referring to the team's star corner, who is now a perennial all pro in the Ranorian Football League.

Fortunately, they were able to prevent the wideout from is usual highlight reel plays for the most part, but this was a well coached team, and Newell made it very clear early on that he would make the Buffalo pay for every bracket they put on Kah. They drew first blood with a touchdown on the second drive of the game, and while the Buffalo went for, and scored, on a two point conversion, but they were soon behind once again when running back Charles Lamar broke through the first two levels of the defense untouched, getting his team into the red zone on a 46 yard gallop. He was only stopped after dragging strong safety Zacharius Rosin for more than ten yards, and he didn't stop there, bowling through pass rusher Charles Foreman for an easy touchdown.

The Buffalo were scrambling for an answer, now. Chris Dale, their head coach, is an excellent recruiter, helping to turn this team around with just a few solid recruiting classes right before their entry into the NSCF, but he is widely regarded as a very average game planner and football IQ for the lead man of a program. And it showed. Scott Newell was winning the mental game here. He knew that Deondre Rhine was infuriatingly arrogant, and that Dale would often simply let him off the leash and call shot play after shot play to keep the quarterback happy...and producing. The Buffalo had four more drives in the first half. They scored once, punted once, and twice Deondre Rhine was caught with a disguised coverage. While Keyshawn Hailey was not one of the Warriors' stars, he came up big here, hauling in one of the picks and running across the field to deflect another pass, with corner Xavier Johnson taking the turnover back for six. Along with a field goal on the other turnover, that would leave the game at 24-15 at half time, with the Buffalo very obviously frustrated.

The PA announcers for the game, at halftime, discussed the possibility of Cold Hill faltering after an emotional win over their rivals in Richardson. After all, the Warriors were only a half step behind the Governors in terms of talent, if at all, and if the Buffalo were at anything but their best, well, it just wasn't going to be enough.

But Chris Dale was still a football coach. While Cold Hill's run game wasn't feared widely, it was competent, and the Warriors were poor at the edges of their line. So that's where they struck. The Warriors defensive ends, Woods and Gaylord, were big players, both over 260 pounds, but Cold Hill's tackles were each over 300, and they made that size differential count.

John Judge, for three drives, was the focal piece of the Buffalo offense, scoring a pair of rushing touchdowns and driving them into the red zone, where Rhine rifled another score in, by taking fifteen carries for ninety one yards. With their offense off the field for so long between opportunities, the Warriors grew out of sync, only scoring three more points on four drives of their own at that point.

With not even 900 rushing yards in the regular season, RB John Judge's highlight reel isn't extensive. That said, he managed to pick up the offense's slack when he had to against the Warriors

By then, there were fourteen minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Buffalo had taken a convincing lead at 36-27. And they only continued to pour it on. Deondre Rhine widened the gap with two touchdowns in three drives, where the Warriors, sapped for momentum, continued to be forced to punt. While generally the idea would be to go for it on every fourth down, two sacks by Brock Golden left them in fourth and fifteen plus situations.

Of course, on their third time, after two incomplete passes and a run for a loss, the Warriors squad was at 4th and 11, down 50-27 in a game that had gotten out of hand before anyone could register what was happening. Quarterback Christopher Fox looked to his coach on the sideline. He'd played a solid game of football, over 330 yards and with multiple touchdown passes on the board, but he was likely feeling just as helpless as Ifeatu Chineze a week before. For everything he did, as well as he was playing, he just couldn't quite keep up.

Lamin Kah hadn't been a non factor, that wouldn't have been fair to say. Even if he'd only managed fifty yards, the wideout had racked up six catches, most of them picking up a first down. And from an analytics standpoint, he had opened up the field for the rest of the offense. With just five minutes left, they had to score fast, and it had to be on this drive. The cameras had zoomed in on Newell during the broadcast, and you could almost see the gears turning, but he had been preparing a play for this situation all day.

They'd run it a few times now, a post-corner combination on the outside, and each time, Kah had started jogging just out of his break. While those watching attributed it to the star giving up, he'd been told to do just that, as Newell knew that the defense would do everything in its power to take him out of the game.

This time, he specifically instructed Kah to get out of bounds. The play would get them into the red zone, and that was all they needed right now. Unfortunately, the wideout had no such plans.

When Fox dropped back, he kept his eyes locked on what was supposed to be his primary target, and the entire defense bit. Brock Golden and Charles Foreman were unable to break through the line of scrimmage, and the ball was in Kah's hands in an instant.

Gabriel Haberkorn was a good player. Three star recruit coming out of high school, generally the team's top dog in the cornerback room. But Kah was a different animal. The wideout appeared to be jogging to the sideline after the snag, and Haberkorn, in front of him, relaxed just for a fraction of a second, twenty yards downfield. That was what killed him. Kah stopped on a dime, planting his feet and bursting down the field, Haberkorn face-planting as he tried to adjust, and leapt, unnaposed, into the end zone.

It was still a long shot, but a combination of Newell's veteran genius and Kah's sheer athleticism and initiative had kept viewers tuned in. Kah's recovering of an onside kick only added onto the fervor. The forty yard touchdown had made it all too clear, though: no matter what was thrown at them, this team knew that, to win the ballgame, they would have to try and put the ball in the hands of their best player.

The drive started with a screen to Kah, but he only managed three yards, being forced out of bounds this time, and a half back toss, followed by screen to runner CJ Pickrom, only picked up another yard. The Buffalo defense was rallying, and they knew what was coming. Kah tightened his gloves, and safety Zachruius Rosin took his position. He couldn't match the sheer size of the 6'4", 225 pound phenom, but he was the biggest, and by far the strongest, starter in the Buffalo secondary, coming in at almost 215 pounds. And he was deep, manning the middle of the field, while free safety Justin Baldwin took his position in the bracket. Haberkorn was to play conservatively over the top, while Baldwin was tasked with going for the ball underneath.

Neither of them got a chance. Kah's release put Haberkorn in the dirt for the second time in the fourth quarter, and Baldwin, at free safety, simply couldn't adjust, having been counting on Haberkorn's press to stall the best player on the field.

Quarterback Christopher Fox, seeing this, lofted the ball deep, Kah slowing down just a half step, wide open, to catch it, but he had finally made a mistake. With the pass behind him, he didn't really have an opportunity to high point it, and Fox had doomed him by letting it hang in the air as long as he had, Rosin coming streaking across the field to take the football out of the air.

Kah brought him down with a vicious hit to the ribs, but it was all over, and they knew it. To their credit, Baker Park three times forced a third and long, shutting down John Judge's runs with exact counters to every formation they took, but Deondre Rhine, three times, picked up the first down. By that point, all he had to do was take a knee, and the semifinal matchup was over.

Deondre Rhine, who recently passed a urine test checking for performance enhancing drugs, has been a revalation for this football team. The kid is just unstoppable, even when he turns the ball over, he finds a way to crack into elite numbers, with over three hundred forty passing yards and five touchdown passes in this one. It seems evident, at this point, that the Buffalo's strategy is simply to let Rhine completely off of his leash. Will he turn the ball over two or three times? More than likely. But ultimately, he finishes the game with so much offensive production that it simply is not a factor.

Regardless: Next week, the Cold Hill Buffalo will be taking on the top ranked, and arguably best, program in the NSCF, the Loyola Istria Blue Thunder, the pride of the best conference in the NSCF this season. Last year, Cold Hill knocked off their domestic rival and defending champion, Northern Moravica, to secure Cold Hill's first title. On the way, they stunned the Blue Thunder in their own lightning yard. And now, heading to the NSCF Championship Game in they'll be looking to take the throne as the NSCF's top program in Belle Haven's BBP National Stadium.

The top 2 offensive units in the NSCF, glory eternal on the line...and a ring hanging in the balance.
Lumi is my NS mom

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:19 am

'Crazed' Environment expected for highly anticipated NSCF 21 Championship Game between Loyola and Cold Hill

Head Coach Alanso Isa leads Blue Thunder onto the field before the NSCF Final

BELLE HAVEN, COMMONWEALTH OF BAKER PARK- After just a couple of seasons away, finishing just a game shy of the big one, the Blue Thunder have found themselves back to where they feel they belong- in the NSCF Championship Game. They've had enough consistency over their seasons in the NSCF to elevate themselves from the '2nd Banijan entry' to 'Banija's dominant school', and, of course, the mythical blue blood status that comes with success. They've got two championships, both under their old head coach, Alastair Jobs, who shockingly and stunningly never lost a NSCF playoff game while he was in charge. Alanso Isa, in his fourth season in charge, is now in his second championship game as head coach.

And they have the biggest possible challenge in front of them- the electric offense of last year's champions, Cold Hill University. The Buffalo won last year's championship, and many say that they are an even better team this year. Last year's team defeated both Banijan sides in their run to their first-ever NSCF title. They went to the Istria Lightning Yard and emerged as winners in the semifinal, before smoking Northern Moravica in the NSCF XX Championship game at the Karmin-Falce Superdome in Ranoria City. The Buffalo are winners of 13 games in a row, having not lost since their Week 2 visit to Richardson University, which ended in a 30-10 loss. Unbeaten since, they are looking to capture themselves a title.

BBP National Stadium in Belle Haven, with a capacity of 74,000, is set to host the NSCF Championship Game for the first time. Hosting the championship game is a good gig for a lot of cities- college football fans, especially of the biggest NSCF schools, are known to travel in huge numbers. If you get a good draw and have a pair of schools with big fanbases who make the title game, then you will be in great shape. And they got two of the biggest sets of fanbases- Cold Hill and Loyola-Istria. Both sets of fans are known to follow their teams in big numbers wherever they jet across the multiverse, and although each team will have essentially half the tickets, we imagine quite a few ticketless fans from both sides will be in the city, simply for the festivities and such.

But let's take a look at this matchup. The #1 team and defending champions right now, Cold Hill University, against the #1 ranked side overall, Loyola-Istria. What is going to go into this matchup? What will be the factors that split the difference between two of the NSCF's best sides?

Going Back-To-Back v. Getting Championship #3

There is never any shortage of motivation for the NSCF championship game. It's your college career- you only get four years, no matter what, to try and win as much as you can before you go pro, either in football or in something other than sports. These guys know it. They know just how hard it is to win a championship, simply as seen by the years where they didn't win a championship. Let's take a look at Cold Hill University. Led by Head Coach Chris Dale, most would not have expected them to be the first Ranorian University to win a NSCF Championship. And now, they get the chance to defend it. Going back to back is so very difficult. In fact, it's only been done once- Ramusok Capital University won it in NSCF 15, and then won again in NSCF 16. Both times, they defeated St. Croix in the championship game.

Teams tend to get back to the championship game after winning it in the NSCF- but then they fall at that last hurdle. Six times in NSCF History, has the team that won the Championship gotten back to the championship game the next season. And only once, have they won it. They have that history weighing against them. It's happened to both Banijan schools. Chris Dale's challenge is getting the pressure off of his team. It's hard to ignore the critics, to ignore the pressure of the moment, especially with young college athletes. It would vault Cold Hill into rarefied air to get them to become just the second school in NSCF history to go back-to-back. And considering Deondre Rhine is just a sophomore, it would be hard at that point to bet against them as they try to threepeat next year, wouldn't it?

As for Loyola-Istria, they also have NSCF history weighing against them. They have put so much into their program to try and put it into blue blood territory, and they have done so. Nobody would doubt their blue blood status among NSCF schools, alongside Northern Moravica, Richardson University, Cold Hill, and RCU. But they want to be the best of the best. There are only two schools who have three NSCF Championships- Ramusok Capital University, and the University of Utica, who also set a record with 5 championship game appearances. The Blue Thunder find themselves chasing that. They believe that they are one of the best ever to do it- putting them on par with schools like Utica and RCU would enforce that argument.

Star Power- Deondre Rhine v. Amazu Chibuzo

SO often, does this sport come down to the play of the quarterbacks. The ability of the quarterback to impact a game is unlike any other position in any team sport that you can think of. It's the nature of the position. But especially in the modern game, where sophisticated offenses and modern rules encourage airing the ball out. Having a superstar quarterback can mask all sorts of problems that a team has. And when a team combines that superstar quarterback and provides them with a roster that complements that player's talent, well, the results can be scary good. And that's what we've seen with Rhine.

Rhine came on as a Freshman last year, and his talent is otherworldly. While many others may dispute this claim, most Banijans, even Northern fans, would say that Isaka Jawara would be the greatest QB to ever play in the NSCF. He racked up all the awards in his time at Loyola-Istria, and had a pair of championship game appearances, winning it all in NSCF 17. He was a human highlight reel, doing it with both his feet and his arm. It is the legacy that Chibuzo has to follow. But Deondre Rhine is so talented, so accomplished, even just as a sophomore many are saying that he is one of Cold Hill's best quarterbacks ever, and one of the best quarterbacks to ever play in the NSCF. Certainly has the potential to go down as the greatest of all time.

Rhine can make all the plays. He can make every throw. He doesn't get rattled. He can be up and down, personality wise- there was recent controversy over him taking PEDs, but he very recently took and passed a test, showing that he wasn't taking PEDs. Rumors like that have a habit of not going away, but as long as he keeps passing his tests, they won't stain his legacy. Even against UC-BP, he threw for nearly 350 yards and five touchdowns. How do you stop this young phenom? Alanso Isa was raving about him. "It's nearly impossible to totally stop Rhine over the course of a game." The Head Coach said. "He's too good. But, get back to the basics- if we can disrupt timing on routes, make him get rid of the ball a second too early, or make him hold onto it slightly longer than he wants, we can slow him down, and give ourselves a chance." The rumors are that the Blue Thunder plan to get very physical at the line of scrimmage. Expecting a lot of jamming at the point of attack, to slow down those receivers off the line and throw these routes off.

And then, for Loyola-Istria, you have Chibuzo. He's not Deondre Rhine, nor is he Isaka Jawara. But when Chibuzo is at his best, he is all the same an extremely difficult quarterback to try and stop. Let's go back to the last game of the regular season- Loyola-Istria taking on their fierce rivals, Richardson University, at the Karmin-Falce Superdome. Chibuzo throwing for four touchdowns and 300+ yards against the Governors. The connection with Khalil Hauptmann, one of the best receivers in the NSCF, was stellar. 11-14 to Hauptmann on that day, for 144 yards and and 2 TDs. While he lacks the consistency of a Rhine, not playing particularly well against the Salamantic Universities, or even against Saguenay in the 1st round, when he gets going, he really gets going. Rhine is certainly the better player overall, but what matters is who will be the best player on this day?

Coaching Matchup

College football is all about great coaching. Sports in general is, but it is amplified in college sports. It's about much more than X's and O's at the college level. It's about having a great relationship with University Administrators, with boosters, with boards of regents, dealing with people's parents, etc... It's an incredibly tough job. It's extremely rewarding- they are paid handsomely for their efforts, are local celebrities, and of course keep shepherding generations of young men. But it's difficult, and you have two of the best coaches in the NSCF on showcase in Belle Haven.

Chris Dale, of course, won the NSCF championship last season. Unfortunately for him, he had all sorts of trouble in the domestic season. He had been suspended for a large part of it, including the Ranorian National Championship Game. He returned just after Cold Hill's 30-10 loss away to Richardson University in Week 2. They are 1-1 in two games without him, 13-0 in the games with him. The what ifs, if he had never got suspended, will never be answered. Maybe they'd be entering this game at 15-0, as defending NSCF and Ranorian champions.

This is one hell of a team he's built. They're a well-oiled machine. Defeating Richardson University in a fiercely competitive quarterfinal. That quarterfinal against a rival is always tough- but it's a sign of great coaching that they didn't have a letdown the next week against UC-BP, which could have easily happened. But his own talent as a coach is matched across the sideline by Alanso Isa. The two men have faced twice before- Loyola-Istria coming out big winners in the NSCF 18 Semifinals over Cold Hill, while Cold Hill returned the favor in the NSCF 20 Semifinals. Both games, of course, at the Istria Lightning Yard.

Alanso Isa, when he came to Loyola-Istria at the start of NSCF 18, was dealt a hell of a task. Succeed Alastair Jobs. That was much easier said than done. Alastair Jobs went a shocking 8-0 all-time in the NSCF postseason, including a NSCF 13 Pioneer Bowl win, a NSCF 14 Championship, and a NSCF 17 Championship. Succeeding a coach who was that successful could almost be a poisoned chalice- impossible standards. And while Isa doesn't have a NSCF championship, he's done a very good job. Recruiting classes are consistently top notch. Been to the NSCF 18 Championship Game, and now this Championship Game. NSCF 19 and NSCF 20 he lost Semifinals. They've hosted a Semifinal in each of his four seasons.

They are still rolling just like they were under Jobs- although crucially, he doesn't have a championship yet. Ultimately, that's the expectation at Loyola-Istria. He's popular among the Blue Thunder faithful, but he desperately wants to win his first championship. His teams, like most Blue Thunder teams, are built off of the backs of electric offenses. But especially this season, when necessary, their defense has come to play. Players like Corrin Fairless are true difference makers, waiting for the biggest moments to shine. Isa's Blue Thunder squad will give the Buffalo everything they can handle.

So who will win? The Blue Thunder or the Buffalo? It's a hard one to call. Nobody knows who will triumph. But we do know this- this is surely an instant classic, waiting to happen.
Last edited by Banija on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

NSCF
Diplomat

Postby NSCF » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 am

NSCF 21 PLAYOFFS - The Grand Final

Woo!

Cold Hill University Buffalo (RAN) 35–41 Loyola University Blue Thunder (BNJ)
Last edited by NSCF on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:10 pm

Blue Thunder triumph over Cold Hill University in wild shootout in Belle Haven to capture third NSCF Title

Blue Thunder running back Nathaniel Islan(ballcarrier) runs with the football in fourth quarter against Cold Hill defense

BELLE HAVEN, COMMONWEALTH OF BAKER PARK- To say that the atmosphere in Belle Haven for this game was electric is probably an understatement. This magazine sent our staffers to Baker Park 48 hours before kickoff- and the excitement was already everywhere. It was unlike previous championship games because of that fact. A Banijan and Ranorian school playing each other in Banija or Ranoria obviously has at least a modest home field advantage. But they're playing in a third country, in front of a pair of blue blood fanbases with a lot of passion and deep pockets.

Everyone wanted to get a piece of the excitement in the air. And so when gameday finally came, Belle Haven felt as if it was taken over by fans of the Blue Thunder or the Buffalo. It felt like everyone in the city was wearing either garnet & gold, or the blue and white. Although the ticket allotment for each school was 35,000, to fill the stadium and yet leave room for some locals, it feels as if many more were in the city. Even as the game was kicking off, the city's bars were packed, with fans wanting to be there if their team won the so coveted NSCF Championship. The Banijan Embassy in Baker Park estimated nearly 50,000 people flew in from Banija for the weekend, and they believed that the number swere either 'similar or greater' for the Ranorian side. Well over 100,000 people flying in for a game with a stadium that seats 3/4s of that number. It's a good gig to host a NSCF title game, isn't it?

And the fans were treated to one hell of a game. There is plenty of explaining to do- so let's hope right into the game, shall we? The first drive for both teams was three and out. The Cold Hill got the football first, and could not move it. Then the Blue THunder got the ball, and were dominated at the line of scrimmage. But fear not- the game was not going to be a bunch of three and outs. Not with offenses as high-powered as these. On the third drive, Deondre Rhine showed us exactly why he's the odds-on favorite to win NSCF Most Outstanding Player. The Buffalo decided to take to the skies. He went 7/8 on the drive, for 72 yards. The touchdown was the most impressive play of the drive, however. On 3rd and 1 for the Buffalo, from the Blue Thunder 13, Loyola blitzed. Daron Dempsey came in free off the edge. But Rhine is so big, so strong- you really have to wrap up to bring him down. He shook off Dempsey, rolled right, and fired a laser to the back corner of the end zone. Dexter Slaughter caught the ball by climbing the ladder in the back of the end zone, and got one foot down. Touchdown to the Buffalo- 7-0.

That is when the Blue Thunder took the field. Amazu Chibuzo came out, looking to respond to Deondre Rhine. The Buffalo are a 'big play' sort of defense- they have guys who fly across the field, looking for the big play. They're aggressive. They bring a lot of pressure, like to cause the turnover. It's a good style, matched with their high-flying offense. As you try to keep up with Deondre Rhine and put pressure on yourself, the Buffalo are there to take care of your mistakes. That's why it's important not to fall behind them early. But Chibuzo, down 7-0 early, stayed calm. The Offensive Coordinator looked to call plays to keep the Buffalo defense off balance. A halfback draw for 7 yards. A halfback screen for another 12. It was an 9 play, 4 minute drive for the Blue Thunder, that went 78 yards. 6 runs for 55 yards, while Chibuzo was 3/3 passing for 23 yards. The last play of the drive was Orjea Orjee leaping over the line of scrimmage for six on 1st and goal.

And then, that's when the first interesting twist of this game started to happen. The Buffalo had scored- the Blue Thunder then took it upon themselves to respond in kind. But then, the Blue Thunder defense really started to heat up. Of course, they are almost always the maligned unit on this team, as its consistently been a high-flying offense that has been the MO for the Blue Thunder in the NSCF. But in this first half, it would be the defense that would step up. They did all sorts of things to confuse Rhine. Hidden blitz packages, lots of maneuvering around the line of scrimmage. And, of course, straight up speed. Bringing six guys is risky against a quarterback as good as this one- but for the first half of the game, at least, it was a strategy that worked. They were able to consistently get pressure on Deondre Rhine, and with lots of jams at the line of scrimmage, disrupt the timing. Rhine took three sacks in the first half as the Blue Thunder's D-Linemen and linebackers, always fresh with much more frequent rotations than normal, were able to be every where and put pressure on Rhine.

To stop a player that you don't see every day, you've got to do things you don't do every day. And the Blue Thunder offense, throughout the half, took advantage of the Buffalo, as they wore down the opposing defense. The Buffalo held the ball for just 9:40 in the first half- while the Blue Thunder held the football for 20:20. They were able to pound away at that defense, just physically wearing them down. Nathaniel Islan had a 44 yard touchdown run on 2nd and 11 late in the fourth quarter, taking a halfback draw 44 yards to the house. Once again, being ahead of an aggressive defense- by winning at the point of attack. The Blue Thunder offensive line was on absolute fire, and that stopped their opponents from being able to do almost anything on defense.

It was a story that continued into the second quarter. Even with all those blitzes, the Blue Thunder linemen, with help from Dustin Andreas Jerome IV, who got a lot of blocking tight end snaps, were able to neutralize the rush. In the 2nd quarter, Chibuzo, faced with one on one for his wideouts, was able to take his time and take it to the Buffalo defenders. Khalil Hauptmann and Chidi Chinweike were the primary beneficaries as the Blue Thunder quarterback continued to pick apart the opposing defense. On one drive, he went 8/8 for 74 yards, which included a 4 yard touchdown pass to Khalil Hauptmann. On the final drive of the second quarter, started with just 1:50 left, he completed the first six passes of the drive to put his team in field goal range. He had a chance at a touchdown, but just barely overthrew an open Rayan Willsonton from 12 yards out. THey settled for 3, and went into halftime well on their way to a third NSCF title, up 24-7.

But any Blue Thunder fans who were celebrating at that point should've known that there was a lot of football left. Cold Hill didn't become #1 overall and defending champions because they gave up when they faced adversity. No- Chris Dale was always going to get his players to compete until the final seconds. Down 24-7 at halftime, the Buffalo were set to kick off. The Buffalo, from this kick, would try and get momentum back in this game. That meant the most risky of plays- the onside kick. Alanso Isa complimented his counterpart on the decision afterwards, telling reporters that 'Dale had the guts to do what he had to do to get his players back in the football game. Absolutely correct call'. It was a sneak kick- the Blue Thunder hands team was not on the field. Executed brilliantly, the ball went towards the Blue THunder sideline. The ball bounced. The Banijan upman, who had turned around, had to turn back. He was the first to the ball and got a hand on it, as soon as it went 10 yards. But as it did, he got nailed by Carl Moses, a bottom of the depth chart linebacker. The ball went flying. Adam Rickiott, a bottom of the depth chart freshman wideout, jumped on the football.

The referees signalled, and for the first time in what felt like a long time, Cold Hill had something to cheer about. Buffalo players celebrated, Dale pumped his fist, and it felt like a tide had turned in this championship game. And that tide, indeed, had turned. Starting from their own 43, they needed 7 plays- six completions from Rhine, and a 6 yard touchdown run on 1st and goal from John Judge to turn the 24-7 deficit that Cold Hill, into just a 24-14 deficit. And then, the Cold Hill team really started to have momentum. The Blue Thunder offense had been successful in the first half. But here in the second half, they were just losing the battle at the line of scrimmage. Whereas Chibuzo had a lot of time to throw in the first half, here he was getting smothered. The aggression of the Cold Hill defense was working. Even on 3rd and 11, Chibuzo was forced to throw the ball early and hit cornerback Emil Johnson straight in the chest. Although the corner dropped it, it was clear- momentum had gone away from the Blue Thunder.

Once again, Cold Hill started to drive the football, and once again, they got a touchdown. It would be Deondre Rhine, on 3rd and 12, throwing a 27 yard strike on a post route to Dexter Slaughter. The duo's 2nd touchdown of the game, the Cold Hill faithful were really getting into the game now. A 17 point deficit, in just six minutes, had been cut to a three point deficit, and it had been on the back of their superstar quarterback. It felt like Deondre Rhine could do anything at the moment- he could do no wrong. He could not miss. But the Blue Thunder weren't going to roll over. They couldn't protect at the edges at the moment- so they decided to pound the rock. Not something they usually do, but the middle of the field was the only hope if both your tackles were getting dominated. 10 plays, nearly 6 minutes off the clock- all runs. It led to a 3rd and one, up 24-21, at the Cold Hill 15 yard line. A key play- could they score and keep the lead? They tried to run their first pass of the drive. Pistol formation, play-action fake. As soon, as Chibuzo got out of the play-action, Carter Morrison was there, dragging him down to the ground. Loss of 6. A big play for the Buffalo, forcing the Blue Thunder to take three points. 27-21, Loyola-Istria, just under 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Cold Hill University, then, was going to show exactly how good they were. They had some momentum from that stop. But their big-armed, highly decorated quarterback, who already had a NSCF title under his belt and desperately wanted another one, was going to show exactly why he had a future playing professional in the RFL. On the first play of Cold Hill's ensuing possession, he ran for 7 yards, sliding down. On the second play, Birom Danso was matched up against Rodney Blades. Danso went for the jam, like they had been doing for a lot of the game. But he missed. Blades spun away from it, and was then flying up the left sideline. Rhine noticed it, and then looked the safety away, and then threw a perfect rainbow to a wide open Blades. Nobody was anywhere near him. Looking off the safety was such a veteran move by the young quarterback. Blades simply danced into the end zone to tie the game, at 27-27, and the extra point gave the Buffalo their first lead since mid way through the 1st quarter, up by one.

IT was stunning. The Blue Thunder had worked so hard to build a lead- and it was gone. They came back on the next drive, trying to take the lead back, but they could not. It stayed at that score, 28-27 to the Buffalo, until there was about 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter. And then, Cold Hill University struck again. Up just one, they of course wanted to put more points on the board. They'd put the ball into the hands of Deondre Rhine, who had already thrown three touchdown passes on the day. And he'd be back. On a 3rd and 10 from their own 15, the quarterback dropped back. He pumped fake to Slaugther, and then launched a deep one down the field, again to Rodney Blade. Blade actually leaped up and caught it, winning the jump ball. 40 yards down the field, 1st and 10 at the Blue Thunder 45. Then, a 27 yard post rough to Slaughter to put them in the red zone. 17 yards to freshman tight end Dorian Brown-Clarke to put them at the one. Then, running the QB sneak himself, to give his team a 35-27 lead.

A stunning turn of events. The Blue Thunder came out of the half up 24-7 and expecting to receive the football! And then, with 11 minutes left, they were all of a sudden down 35-27. What happened? Diamond Rhine happened. The Blue Thunder were on the ropes. But everybody was still in their seats. Knowing these two teams, nobody wanted to leave yet. Corrin Fairless would be deep, back to receive the ensuing kickoff. He received the ball, made a couple of players miss, and looked to be able to take it to the house! But unfortunately for him, a shoe string tackle by Harry Swift saw him brought down at midfield. But that was all the Blue Thunder needed. The men in white proceeded to immediately march down the field. Chibuzo going 5/8 as the team threw 8 passes in a row, culminating in Khalil Hauptmann catching a 6 yard fade route on 2nd and goal. The play is borderline Hauptmann- it's their favorite play about 5-10 yards from the end zone, but the Blue Thunder do a good job of isolating him, and giving him space to work. He can outjump any defender.

35-33, 8 minutes left. What then? Go for two, of course. Unfortunately, they could not. Hauptmann, when celebrating, took off his helmet and slammed it to the turf. These are college kids, right- the emotions and adrenaline of playing for a championship can get to anyone, especially a 19 or 20 year old when you make a big play. But the referee could not let it go. A flag was thrown, and a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was called. Chris Dale applied it to the extra point, to ensure the Blue Thunder wouldn't try to tie it. Their kicker converted the PAT, and just like that, it was a one point game once again, with the score being 35-34.

Both defenses then decided to stiffen their backs. Back-to-back-to-back punts in this brilliant football game. And then Amazi Chibuzo had his chance to etch his name into Blue Thunder lore, forever. The chance to make the big play in the championship game, with everything on the line. The chance that Isaka Jawara did not have down in Busukuma in NSCF 18. 3:45 left, at his own 27 yard line, one timeout. And Chibuzo, even though just a sophomore, was not rattled. He had 8 passes on this drive, and completed seven of them. He spread out the completions on the final drive- hitting Hauptmann(who finished the game with 9 catches for 106 and 2 TDs), Chidi Chinweike twice, Okparra Chimaijem, Beluchi Okorie, Nathaniel Islan, and Rayan Willsonton. The tight end had the last reception of the drive, as with 1:44 left in regulation, he muscled his way for a 12 yard touchdown reception. It was the go-ahead touchdown! The Blue Thunder converted the PAT, and led, 41-35.

But had they left too much time on the clock for Deondre Rhine? Even with no timeouts, 1:44 was a lot of time in college football. And Rhine intended to get his team down the field. He started with the football at his own 30 after the kick return- but they'd need to go the length of the field. A field goal, of course, would do them no good. Unfortunately for him, Daron Dempsey brought him down for a 7 yard loss on first down. The Blue Thunder fans could feel it- they were on the brink, weren't they? 2nd and 17 with the clock running. But Rhine did not panic. He threw a 15 yard strike to Slaughter. Hurried his team to the line, incomplete. 4th and 2, 1:10 left, at their own 38. Season on the line. Rhine hit Terrence Miller for 9 yards. Clock stopped temporarily, but he hurried his team to the line. They went towards the left sideline, and Rodney Blades grabbed a deep out route for 11 yards.

Just under 50 seconds left, down at the Blue Thunder 42. A throwaway on first down. And then, an inner post to Dexter Slaughter for 20 yards. Putting them at the Blue Thunder 22 yard line. Not wanting to spike the ball, he ran up with a hurry up, and went for the go-ahead score. Slaughter was blanketed by Corrin Fairless, however, and it was incomplete. Second down, a big, seven man blitz- a risky move- panned out well, as Dempsey hit Rhine just as he was throwing. Raedler was wide open as the Banijans had brought extra rushers, but Rhine couldn't get it off in time. 3rd and 10. Under half a minute left. Any moment could be the ball game. Rhine stepped up in the shotgun- four receivers, one tight end. He would throw to the freshman tight end, Brown-Clarke, who caught the football right at the sticks.

But then, Banta Jobe, the senior middle linebacker, would make the play of his life. Jobe, who was right behind Brown-Clarke as he made the tackle, punched forward with his right arm. He timed it perfectly, and punched the football out. The ball bounced forward, to about the 5 yard line. And then, of course, the dogpile. Corrin Fairless and Dexter Slaughter seemed to jump on top of the football at the same time. And then, of course, the dogpile- have you ever seen a higher stakes dogpile for a fumble? Championship on the line! It would be senior cornerback Corrin Fairless who would emerge from the pile with the football. And with under 30 seconds left, Blue Thunder fans went crazy. Deondre Rhine stared in disbelief, with his hands on his head. Gatorade was being dumped all over Alanso Isa. The blue half of the fan section was going crazy, while the garnet half was silent.

Corrin Fairless, the senior, had made the winning fumble recovery to win his first ever NSCF Championship. What a run he'd had the last 5 games- fourth quarter punt return to help beat Richardson, field goal block to beat the Salamantic Universities, and fumble recovery to help win the championship. Once Chibuzo took to the victory formation, the fireworks started, and blue confetti was being shot in celebration of the Blue Thunder's victory. In his victory speech, Alanso Isa congratulated the guys. They had climbed the mountain. Tears flowing everywhere. One hell of a game. Isa congratulated the fans. What a game, what a victory. And Isa promised to run it back for next year. Can they be doubted?

Recruiting Roundup
- HB Hezekiah Assi has decided to accept a scholarship offer to play at Université du Saguenay
- CB Makang Secka has decided to accept a scholarship offer to play at Richardson University
- LT Moses Busara has decided to accept a scholarship offer to play at Cold Hill University
- DE/EDGE Birom Ogunsola has decided to accept a scholarship offer to play at Northern Moravica University
- WR Lafi Senghore has decided to accept a scholarship offer to play at Loyola-Istria
- QB Ebou Hairte has decided to accept a scholarship offer to play at Loyola-Istria
- Loyola-Istria officials told reporters that Ranorian prospects HB Eric van Geel, and CB Alexander Ackermann had accepted scholarship offers, and signed commitments to attend Loyola.
- Northern Moravica officials told reporters that Ranorian prospects OL Eric Modin and QB Vallienté Wagner-Young had accepted scholarship offers, and signed commitments to attend Northern Moravica.
Last edited by Banija on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

Minister

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:01 pm

© Sporting Times Daily 2020
Blue Thunder, Buffalo bring in millions for city
by Ted Houlihan, Sports Business Editor

If the overall success of the event is any indication, the first edition of the NSCF championship game to be held at the BBP Stadium will certainly not be the last; Banija's Loyola-Istria Blue Thunder edged past Ranoria's Cold Hill University Buffalo--who defeated the University of the Commonwealth in the semi-final--by a final score of 41-35, in front of 74,571.

Aside from the entertainment value of the game itself, which saw the Banijan school capture their 3rd title overall, the week leading up to the game exceeded all estimates that the Belle Haven Convention & Visitors Bureau put forward as to the overall economic impact on the Capital region.

The presence of Loyola-Istria drew many extra fans from the Banijan ex-pat communities in Mansfield and Hamilton, and the relative familiarity of the city to Ranorians from a previous visit by Cold Hill, as well as UC games versus Richardson University, meant that there was an influx of fans far in excess of the ticket allocation. The BHCVB made additional arrangements to have the game shown on big screens at the Commonwealth Convention & Exposition Center, and also in the parking lot of the South Bank Galleria, to accommodate the extra visitors.

Caroline Frazier, VP for the BH Central Business District Association, said her organization welcomed the additional business traffic on what would've been a normally low volume weekend. "Coming during a period when regular traffic is normally reduced, the influx of thousands of visitors from the competing schools was a welcome addition. CBDA members I spoke with said the crowds were enthusiastic, well-behaved and high spirited. In a city of our size, it's not a hardship to accommodate a large influx of visitors over a short period. We'd love to have the event here again."

One of the changes in the sports economy brought about by the opening of the BBP Stadium has been the decrease in business for establishments on the south side of the river around Keller Field and Sportsmen's Park, a point not lost on the BHCVB; Greg Jonas, Executive Director of the Bureau, wants to work to ensure that the South Bank gets it's share of sport related business for events at the BBP.
"We realized that having a free big screen watch party at the Center made perfect sense when the games were at Keller Field, but now I think we need to flip the priority. Having a big screen at the Galleria was an experiment, and I think we will explore other sites on the south side where we can help bars & restaurants attract traffic for big events."

Nevertheless, expect there to be keen interest in bringing the NSCF Championship game back to Belle Haven sooner rather than later.
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 29 Playoff Round

AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports