NATION

PASSWORD

World Lacrosse Championships 30- Everything (Final Posted)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:47 am

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

The Lacrosse Lamentations
with Aisling Keane

It's the Vangs! It's the Vangs! Eight have become four, and we have been pitted against Vangaziland as a reward for our troubles! But seriously now, what does this mean for us? It means that we are up against one of the current best lacrosse nations in the multiverse. The second best lacrosse nation in the multiverse to be exact, as Vangaziland are just below Cosumar on the official rankings. Speaking of Cosumar though, that was an historic upset that Cheergirls just did. It's not everyday that you get to knock out the number one lacrosse nation in the multiverse in the biggest lacrosse stage of them all. I bet everyone in Cheergirls is happy, and everyone in Cosumar is standing around with their mouths open like that cartoon electric rodent that used to be so popular sometime ago...

Anyway, so eight nations have been trimmed down to four. In what has become a bit of a trend in recent WLCs, the hosts have either failed to make the playoffs or got knocked out at an early stage. Of the three nations that do remain, three of them are in the top five of the WLC rankings while the fourth one is a complete and utter outsider in terms of their place in the rankings and the very fact that they were pegged as one of the contenders for a group stage exit. Vangaziland advance to the semifinals after beating Sarzonia, and the Vangs will have the honour of facing Abanhfleft after we relived history and beat New West Guiana (although in a much more comprehensive fashion than the last time we faced the West Guianese or Guianans or whatever in a playoff game). Defending champs Wrexwic also booked passage to the semifinals stage with a close-fought victory over Baker Park, and they will face the surprise team of the competition in Cheergirls, that young team of cheerleaders who also happen to be kickass lacrosse players.

Some things I found worthy of noting in the quarterfinals once the dust had settled. First, all the winners won by single-digit margins, although we came the closest to getting a double-digit victory over our opposition. I am going to take that to mean that both our defense and offense are getting every little bit better with each game played. Will that be enough against Vangaziland though? I can't remember if we've ever faced them in lacrosse, although I do remember playing them in basketball (but once again, I can't remember off the top of my head if we beat them or not) so I have absolutely no history to use to predict how this particular match is going to end. I feel that the Vangs have got a little bit of an edge over us at the moment, although to overuse that particular cliche yet again, anything can happen in lacrosse. Just look at the Cosumar-Cheergirls game!

Now that the field has been narrowed down to four, there are only a few possibilities left concerning the final of the 30th World Lacrosse Championships, divided into the optimistic and pessimistic. The optimistic possibilities obviously sees Abanhfleft either being set up for a repeat of the WLC 29 quarterfinals against the champions, Wrexwic. Or we will be facing debutantes Cheergirls in their first ever WLC Finals appearance. The pessimistic possibilities just as obviously see Vangaziland fighting against their own colony Wrexwic in a repeat of the WLC 28 Final. The fourth possibility will have Cheergirls against the Vangs. Not sure what I would rather have, really. Wrexwic has already defeated us once, while debutante nations always seem to find a new gear when playing against us. Same goes for the Vangaziland game. You can't see me right now because we're separated by millions of miles of Ethernet cables and whatnot, but if you could see me then you'd see me shivering so hard I can actually shake me trousers off me legs. I'm sure you guys out there would love to see that but trust me, it's not as good as it sounds.

But I do know one thing that's for sure no matter the result. I will get shitfaced whether we win or we lose. Always a good way to celebrate a victory and mourn a loss, I've found.
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Sarzonia's run through the World Lacrosse Championships came to an expected end with Vangaziland defeating the Stars 14-11 and into an uncertain future.

Sarzonia's lacrosse governing body just inaugurated a new boss, and Laura Connelly did not commit to keeping coach Carter Whitlock.

"We will conduct a thorough review of our lacrosse operation from the top down," she said. "Everything will be looked at. We may make wholesale changes. We may stand pat. We haven't decided anything yet."

However, a source familiar with Connelly's thinking said she was "leaning strongly" toward keeping Whitlock.

"Her gut says that keeping the link to the past is going to be of utmost importance as the team looks to get back to the top of the lacrosse world," the source said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorised to issue statements or discuss private deliberations. "She was disappointed, of course, that the Stars blew a 10-6 lead at halftime, and I'm sure that will be discussed. However, she's not necessarily one to clean house to bring in her own people."

The Stars came into this edition ranked twelfth in the world after their return from a period of isolation in the previous edition. They defeated the world's 10th ranked team in Banija, and getting rankings points from this edition is likely to give Sarzonia a bump in the rankings for the 31st edition. As for the hosting, Stars players were "generally pleased" with the way things have gone, though the Stars said to a player they would have liked to have stayed in Grande Mountain a bit longer so they could take advantage of the bar scene.

Meanwhile, President Grant Haffner indicated he would sign the Balanced Budget and Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2019 after it passed both houses of Parliament once Sarzonia One arrives from its trip to Starkville to watch the Sarzonia-Vangaziland matchup. The government's new federal reserve is expected to be formally established in six months after the Treasury Department formalises hiring and the establishment of procedures to get the federal rainy day fund established.

The bill is expected to be good news for hundreds of thousands of federal employees and contract workers who now are assured of getting their paychecks without having to worry about government grinding to a halt due to a shutdown.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:00 pm

LAX Report
Royals Defeat Colony's Rival

A two game series between Wrexwic and Sarzonia formed one of the newest rivalries in sports. The Sarzonian head coach was ejected from the game after attempting to bully officials into making calls favorable to his team. The Sarzonians seemed hesitant to admit Wrexwic could beat them fair and square. The Wasps responded by winning the second game of the series to double down.

Many wondered how the Sarzonians would react to the Vangazi. The Royals were another recently ascendant lacrosse program. the Vannish and Wrex teams are in a race for #1 in international rankings. Part of this would rely on Cosumar failing the playoffs. The Dragons squared off against Cheergirls.

Many analysts believe the close battles against Wrexwic gave Cheergirls important experience against a top tier team. This seemed to be proven true as the cheerleaders beat Cosumar 11-10. "Late game heroics", Scott McLaughlin said about the Cheergirls effort.

Vangaziland would take to the field knowing the world's top ranked team had been eliminated. A win here could help the Royals finally gain a ranking edge on the Dragons. Vannish viewers tuned in to the Cheergirls-Cosumar game were stunned at the result. It was amazing to see. The young squad would make Vannish sports broadcasts and earn their 15 minutes of fame in a rapidly changing news climate.

The Vangazi later stepped up to entertain their fans. Sarzonia brought an aggressive offense that would not be easily contained. The score was 10-6 at halftime. Vangaziland did not tie the game until the 4th quarter.

The game came down to the final six minutes. Mike Swythe laid a big tackle which knocked the ball loose. After using his body to box out the attackman, he scooped up the ground ball. He shifted and managed a pass to Theo Scandrix nearby, while his stick was checked.

Scandrix sprinted downfield, beating his defending midfielder. The defense was prepared to adapt though. Another shifted onto guarding him. The captain rocketed a pass to James Brick, who stepped forward into a low, swinging shot. The shot skipped between the keeper's closing legs.

This brought the game back to center field for a faceoff. Scandrix stepped up to win another battle for the ground ball.

Passing set up the field of play. One attackman cut in one direction. Another moved in the opposite way. Screens were set by midfielders each time. Finally a midfielder and attackman moved together. The ball had been swinging around the outside of the shifting formation. Lizzie Borhanson was the attackman who gained space from the last maneuver. The defense jumped to guard Taye James because he seemed quicker and was closer to the goal.

Lizzie turned and shot after twisting towards the goal. Her shot aimed at the high corner, fast enough to beat the keeper's adjustment. Vangaziland had now scored in back to back possessions.

Derrick Kensite scored the last goal of the game with about 90 seconds remaining. After winning a ground ball, he ran to goal luckily finding space for a shot.

This late 3-0 run was enhanced by tough late defense. Lars Swenson spoke on Vannish strategy. "It's not possible to shut down a good team like Sarzonia for an entire game. We must still rally together to close out late situations. Endurance becomes a factor at that point. That's when some of our defensemen start catching up to quicker attackmen."

Taye James had his biggest game of the season. He finsished with 4 goals and 2 assists. His speed really came to bear in a game where every possesion was hard fought. Fast runners often have high stamina. James seemed to pace himself between light jogging and explosive sprints. It was hard for his defender to determine when he would turn up his boost. He was quick to stop suddenly, juke or change directions.

"I was really experimenting with creating room for my shots", James said after the match. "This is something I can refine."

Scandrix had another big game with 3 goals. His only assist was his 4th quarter pass to James Brick. The defense cut off his passing lane for much of the match.

McLaughin had a fairly quiet game, limited to a solo goal. He spent much of the game fighting taller defenders. They seemed determined to keep out of the portly Vangazi's highlight reel. After catching a pass near the crease, Scott bumped into a defenseman before diving into an off balance shot. A tackle helped throw the falling McLaughlin down. The angle was still a tricky one which skipped the ball into the near side of the goal.

Lizzie Borhanson, Derrick Kensite and Rico Wikström also added lone goals.

"The final score wasn't the most impressive of the night's runs", said Coach Larry Hootsen. "Our team still did well to execute the gameplan."

Vangaziland will face Abanhfleft in the semifinals. The Fleftics are known as being a nation of fierce competitors. If any nation can pull off a Vannish upset, Abanhfleft is capable.

"We have to stick to our plan on offense and defense", said Theo Scandrix about the next match. "Even if we fall behind, we'll need to rally. We have to go into the game prepared for worst case scenarios. We also have to impact the flow of the game."

The Wrexwic Wasps also advanced, by beating Baker Park 13-11. They will face Cheergirls to place in the Last Four.

"Another Imperial Series would be exciting", said goalkeeper Peter Strom. "Wrexwic is a really strong team though. There are easier opponents we could face in the finals."
Last edited by Vangaziland on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrexwic
Attaché

Founded: Mar 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wrexwic » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Wasp Watch
Wrexwic Returns To Last Four

Wrexwic faced Baker Park in a battle into the season's last two games. Some sources have dubbed teams in the Third Place and Championship matches as the 'Last Four'. After the semifinals, only they will remain. Baker Park hoped for an upset victory that wouldn't just advance in WLC 30. It would also help #20 Baker Park close distance between #4 Wrexwic.

The Wasps have two seasons of international lacrosse under their belt. They lost in WLC 28's finals only to win it all in WLC 29. A good result in WLC 30 might see Wrexwic as the top team in the multiverse. The Vangaziland Royals did not advance to the Last Four in WLC 29 and might remain ranked 2nd because of this.

Wrexwic fell behind for much of the 1st and 3rd quarters. Even when one team had the lead, the other was likely 1-3 goals behind. Different runs saw each team bounce between leading the match. Wrexwic put up a wide offense which saw a fairly even split between scorers. D. Webb, G. Webb, Deon McNight, Jay Lindblom and Calvin Slaughter all scored 2 goals. Ollie Jacobsson, Wayan Tyrill and Glenn Agle each added one goal.

Jaye Lindblom scored one of two late goals. The pass was inbounded to him after the ball went out of bounds to the side. Lindblom beat his defender after taking a hit and sprinting forward. His bounce shot skipped low between the keeper's legs. It had a tricky trajectory which almost seemed as if it was going to skip higher.

The goal gave Wrexwic a 12-10 lead. The Wasps would give up a goal on defense before laying the final nail with 4:32 left in the game. Calvin Slaughter's defender backed off him to cut off his approach. From distance, Slaughter shot an overhand shot past the defenseman's head. It dropped with an arc level to the keeper's knees. It was a tricky spot for the keeper to adjust to.

Wasp attackmen and midfielders gathered around Calvin to celebrate the shot. The Wasps cheered and rallied together. Defense picked up a boost on the back line, knowing they had to finish strong. Wrexwic was known for its defensive toughness. The fact that Baker Park scored 11 goals against them spoke highly of their skill. Wrexwic won the game, scoring 13.

"They played a tough match", said outspoken defenseman Joe Lawrence. "They're a team you can expect to reach the playoffs throughout the forseeable future."

"We just need to step up for two more games", said captain Glover Webb. "I can't explain how proud of this team I am. We entered the World Lacrosse Championships as a collection of names. Today, we stand as a team."

"We have to push to get back to the Championship", said Jaye Lindblom. "It's surprising that the Cheergirls made it this far. We can't underestimate them."

Many wonder what it will mean for international lacrosse if we see another Vangaziland-Wrexwic Championship just two seasons after the last one. Both teams appear strong in current form.
Rough Neighborhood & Scrappy Colony of the Vannish Empire

Cheergirls
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cheergirls » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:08 pm

(The below conversation is not public knowledge)

Kenzie Oliver: Beating Cosumar is the coolest thing ever! I bet everyone is just so shocked about us winning!

Tara Snyderman: Yeah, I bet. That was the number one team in the world, and we know who we can thank the most, the greatest goalie in the whole tournament, Courtney!

Courtney Barnett: Thank you! I guess I am in what they call the zone. It’s been a great run but there is more to come.

Chelsea Moore: Incredible, Courtney, you saved our asses!

Kenzie Oliver: I could tell that when they went into halftime winning just 6-3, that they felt that they should have been up even more then that. They really dominated the first half.

Chelsea Moore: Courtney really shut the door in the second.

Tara Snyderman: Yep, it was 7-4, then next they knew it was 7-7. They were getting annoyed and flustered. That’s when I knew we had them, when we had the match tied then.

Kenzie Oliver: I agree, when it was 7-7, I think they were taken off guard, and didn’t know what hit them. Next thing they know, we take the lead on Tara’s third goal!

Courtney Barnett: When we were up 8-7, they were clearly forcing their shots. I don’t think they understood what had happened to them at that point. They definitely didn’t think we would beat them. When they start forcing shots, my job is easier.

Kenzie Oliver: Yep, then they start forcing things, and we’re up 10-8 and 11-9, so sweet how it happened. We were all awesome. Semifinals, I can’t believe it!

Chelsea Moore: I’m still amazed at how all this has happened. Now our third game with Wrexwic, be prepared they might be less nice this time around.

Tara Snyderman: I bet they are surprised to see us again!

Courtney Barnett: Yeah, I am just as surprised to see them again. What’s cool is now that we automatically have two more games left even if we lose.

Chelsea Moore: This is about glory now, not dates. Mind is in the right place. I know Jaye and company will be too. Maybe I can still talk to him a bit after the game but out on the field, its whatever it takes. For both teams!

Kenzie Oliver: Let’s just keep doing what has got us here!
*\o/* Cheerleading obsessed puppet of Cassadaigua *\o/*

(No IC connection between the two)

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Semifinals:
Vangaziland 13-15 Abanhfleft
Wrexwic 10-8 Cheergirls (3rd party scorination provided by Newmanistan)

3rd Place (Scorinated Sunday)
Vangaziland vs Cheergirls @ Brattleboro Stadium

Championship (Scorinated Monday)
Wrexwic vs Abanhfleft @ Concord Heights Stadium

Note: I do live in area being impacted by a big storm tomorrow. Could be a power outage risk, I'm not too worried about that though.
Last edited by Cassadaigua on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:44 pm

LAX Report
Fleftics Topple Vangazi

Vangaziland and Abanhfleft squared off at New Lakeland Stadium. The Royals hoped to reach the Championship and win it all. The Fleftics looked to pull off a tricky upset, before trying to follow up with another in the final. It was late in the season. Endurance has become a major factor. The Royals are a rather large team with players like 6'6 Swenson and the 235 lbs Swythe. Vangaziland has not been known for it's defense, though the unit had success in the group stage.

The Fleftics brought an offense that proved stronger than Vangaziland's earlier tests in Banija and Cassadaigua. The Vangazi lost this game because of a few factors. They lost the battle for ground balls. Abanhfleft seemed a step quicker. Abanhfleft also won the battle of possession. Part of this was because Vangaziland was forced to push the ball forward in more fast break attempts than every before. The Fleftics clearly put up more shots than the Vangazi had seen before.

The Royals desperately tried to push the tempo. Vangaziland's midfielders moved the ball. The usual attack crew got the same amount of shots off as usual. The Fleftics seemed to simply beat the Royals at their own game. Instead of trying to shut out the Royals defensively, the Fleftics were the ones to set the tempo.

Things got ugly when Mike Swythe was beat marking his attackman. As a last ditch attempt to stop to shot, he swung a little too hard with his stick check. The official called a penalty and sent Swythe to the box for 3 minutes. Vangaziland's defensive line had to play man down. Three minutes is an eternity for a top level offense to work with.

The 3rd quarter foul led the Fleftics on their biggest run of the game. The Royals would never catch up, though they clawed desperately to try. Vangaziland would fall by 2 goals after McLaughlin nailed a long shot from the top of attack box with 1:56 remaining. He'd switched positions, with Borhanson out to the wing. Scott sprinted forward into an overhand shot which leaned his upper body forward. One leg kicked back to add power as the other balanced with the effort of a starting pitcher.

The shot bounced hard enough to skip high into the upper left corner. There was little celebration after the shot, but the team did come together to share motivation in a huddle. "Still looking good, people", McLaughlin told his teammates. Scott finished with 4 goals. He was finally able to tally another hat trick. Unfortunately, it did not help his team win.

Scandrix had 2 goals, but was stopped from making any assists. The Fleftics were hip to his game. He couldn't sneeze without somebody in blue, green and gold offering him a tissue. The Vannish captain spoke on the loss. "They're a talented team. They show up to their matches, that's for sure". Vangaziland's midfielders combined for 7 goals. The attack line scored 6.

Vangaziland fell 15-13. They were unable to establish the late game defense needed to close out the game. Tough defensive coverage forced more missed Vannish shots than any other game this season.

"There are some benefits to the third place match", said Coach Hootsen. "A third place finish can sometimes be worth more points than second. A win would be better than losing to Wrexwic." The coach later added, "Of course winning it all was the goal. The team is set to regroup. We're looking to add more young talent in the upcoming seasons."

The Royals were likely to fall in ranking to Wrexwic regardless of the Semifinals' outcome. Wrexwic is the only team to have made the Championship in each of the past three seasons. Vangaziland has not been to the big game since WLC 28. The Royals failed to advance into the Last Four in WLC 29. Even a Vannish win might not have seen the Royals topple the Wasps..

The colonists from 500 miles east of the Mainland beat group stage ally Cheergirls. The Wasps avoided what would have been a disappointing Imperial battle for third place. They will look to avenge Vangaziland for the title.

Wrexwic
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Wrexwic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Jaye Lindblom, Glenn Agle and Kasen Palmer were hanging outside of the team's Dagan hotel. The bus returned from practice some time ago. Since then, they had eaten dinner and were outside watching the sky. Dusk was rapidly advancing. The trio sat in a gazebo on the edge of the hotel grounds. They were currently speaking about the latest stock car series, NSSCRA.

"So I was saying, it's like a movie." Lindblom was repeating something he'd told Glenn earlier. Glenn wanted Kasen to hear it. "A Dagan movie. Think about it. The female Dagan driver wins it all and gets the guy in the end." The others chuckled.

"That mean's Kev Schorebrook is just a stereotype from an old Dagan movie" Jaye continued. "His whole role in NSSCRA was just to be won by Stacie Houston."

"Sucks he lost like he did", said Glenn. "His best chance to win was probably NSSCRA 6. He was so close to the last round."

"A Dagan cut him out that season", said Jaye about the season before last. "Again, he was a sterotype. Back then, he was the hero male to fall to the Dagan lady." The others laughed as Jaye continued. "Think about it. He was so hyped that season. Then she blocked him with one cut."

"Freakin' Mainlanders", said Kasen Palmer with salt in his eye. "Do you know? I went to a try out for the Olympiad team and they didn't call me back? A few others were there too. They only took Glover", Palmer continued. "Are you telling me Vannish benchwarmers are better than people like the Webb brothers and even Jaye? Imagine Jaye and Theo Scandrix in the starting lineup."

Glenn crossed his arm and smirked. "The Mainlanders can't say they're better than us in lacrosse. Wrexwic is the capital of Imperial lacrosse. Period."

Joe Lawrence stepped up to the group, drawing the attention of the others.

"Joe! What's up?" Jaye called out to the starting defenseman. "What's on your mind?"

"The weirdest thing", said Lawrence. "I heard you guys were talking about racing. What about NASJAR? Jet racing, bro."

"Crazy", Palmer replied. "Isn't Prince Fritz flying in that?"

"Yeah", said Joe. "And the Duke. Couple of active duty pilots also. Talk about a spectacle."

"Prince Fritz needs to marry that Chancellor and have kids before risking his life again", said Palmer. "Just one more case of the Imperial Royals being wasteful."

Joe shook his head. ""But it's awesome though. At least he's not like some stuffy Royal that thinks fencing is a fine endeavour." Lawrence spoke in a Phoenician accent whiles aying the last two words. It drew laughter from the group. "What are you all up to tonight?" Joe looked around as he asked.

"We're about to watch the Vangaziland game", said Jaye. His eyes brightened when he said, "Dude, if they lose to Cheergirls, it's going to make the Mainland look so much wore than us at lacrosse."

"It might happen", said Lawrence.
Last edited by Wrexwic on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:30 pm

3rd Place Match:
Vangaziland 12-7 Cheergirls (3rd party scorination provided by Newmanistan)

Championship is scorinated tomorrow- Wrexwic vs Abanhfleft
Last edited by Cassadaigua on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 am

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

The Lacrosse Lamentations
with Aisling Keane

The final of the 30th World Lacrosse Championships is finally here. And it's a repeat of the quarterfinals of the 29th World Lacrosse Championships. Wrexwic versus Abanhfleft. Defending champions versus the nation with a record three championships in four editions. It's the clash of the titans, or at least that's what it looks like on the surface. But is it really? Is it really a clash of the titans? What defines a titan? Is it the number of titles that a team, a nation has won in so many years? Or is it the rapid dash of a nation through the rankings as a reward for winning the ultimate prize in multiverse lacrosse? It's a tougher question than you actually thought it would be, no?

How do we go about this though? Do we look at hard data, the numbers, the stats? Or do we look at the uncountable and unmeasurable stuff like heart, bravery, foolhardiness, the ability to be clutch or to choke? How even do we start? Maybe we start on what we do know. We do know that Wrexwic are the defending champions. They're an up and rising nation in lacrosse. Some might say they're full of potential. But what do you call potential that's already been realized in the form of three consecutive WLC Finals appearances, along with one big bright and shiny trophy? Definitely not kinetic energy. So my science teacher was right. All the stuff she taught me and my mates during high school will help us out later in life. Who knew?

All right, so Wrexwic are the defending champions. They fought tooth and nail to win it West Guiana, and they are decidedly in no hurry to give it up. They could actually be the first team in five, no, seven editions to retain their title. But the team standing in their way is the very team that last achieved that feat of back-to-back championships. I am of course talking about us, the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. We are the team standing in the way of Wrexwic doing what it was that we once did. Many people might say that out of the entire field of competitors in the 30th World Lacrosse Championships, we are the team with the best chance of halting Wrexwic's rapid advance to back-to-back titles. And according to history, we could very well do just that.

But the team that won those titles, that team is long gone. Few if any members of that team remain in the side that are about to face Wrexwic in Concord Heights Stadium, the capital of hosts Cassadaigua. What we have right here is the culmination of five years' worth of preparations. This is a side that has been groomed to serve as the transition from the hype and excitement of the Golden Generation of Fleftic Lacrosse to curtailed and more manageable expectations. This Fleftic team was always intended to hold the fort, keep Abanhfleft relevant in lacrosse while at the same time managing the nation's expectations of them. And they've done a decent enough job at that. Sure, there were a few bumps on the road (namely the round of 16 exit against West Phoenicia on Banijan turf), and some lacrosse obsessives (moi) were publicly bemoaning Abanhfleft's fall from grace, but overall the New Amazons (and their A-men-zon allies) have kept Abanhfleft afloat.

But now silverware beckons the New Amazons. They have gone from being the group leader with the worst record all the way to the final of the 30th WLC. A sterling achievement no matter what. But now the weight of expectation has settled upon the shoulders of this team once again. Now that they have made the final, this team is now expected to win the trophy once again in the name of the nation. Never has one game meant so much. But their opponents will most definitely not hand this one to us without a fight. Wrexwic are a young lacrosse nation, and they're a very hungry one as well. They fought tooth and nail to win that trophy and they are definitely not going to give it up so easily. Wrexwic will not go quietly. But at the same time, Abanhfleft are very much determined to not go quietly too. So really it's all a question of who's got more determination. But it's obviously not just that. There are a lot, and I do mean lots and lots, of variables that go into a single game to affect the outcome. There are of course the staple of sports scientists and armchair coaches, the stats. One player who usually scores a lot is suddenly off the mark, or someone whom you wouldn't expect to be scoring is suddenly leading the rest of the team on goals scored. A defenseman suddenly falls sick and is either unable to play at all or will have their play affected by their sickness, or someone announced to be sick of something finally gets well enough to play. A player's slip could be the difference between catching and missing the ball, and the difference between a clean check and a lengthy stay in the box. Thousands upon thousands of variables, and perhaps even the influence of an unseen outside observer, or third party. Anything can happen.

But I do know what will happen in the next 24 hours. A game will be played. One team will go home happy, and another in tears. And I will be so drunk that time will become a fluid concept, and memories will simply be something that isn't.
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Wrexwic
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Wrexwic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Wasp Watch
Colony Seeks Third Straight For Vannish Empire

There is a time to tease the Mainlanders. They can be quite haughty. Mainlanders preach the benevolence of 'their' Empire. They are quick to speak of the landmass on which they were born. No matter where in the world an Imperial territory is, they're Vannish. There is one time Vangazi bow to their territories. That is on the brink of achievement. The entire Empire has once again lined up behind Wrexwic.

This time the Wasps will face the team which directly eliminated the Vangaziland Royals. A win here won't just give Wrexwic back-to-back WLC titles. It would give Wasp fans ammo in the argument they're better than the Royals. Sure Vangaziland went 12-0 in the group stage. Playoff advancement counts for more.

Young reserve attackman Glenn Agle spoke about representing Wrexwic and the Empire. "The odd thing is that I've done it before", said Agle. "There is a different kind of intensity about this game. There's no way that we're going to take this match lying down."

The Amazons surprised the Royals by adapting to Vannish tactics. The Vangazi favor a high scoring offense based around several key weapons. The Fleftics first cut into Vannish plans by breaking up Imperial passing. They also outdid the Royals at their own game of scoring. Wrexwic brings a different style of play. Wasp defense is more gritty. One of the best parts about Vangaziland's defense is their fundamental ability in stick skills. Their ability to clear the ball helps the offense. What Vannish defenders lack in skill, they make up for with size. The Wasps are better technical defenders and tacklers.

Wrexwic's defense is also more coordinated. Certain shifting that Vangaziland does on the fly doesn't occur by chance in Wrexwic. The Wasps should be better equipped to combat a flurry of goals similar to what the Amazons unleashed against the Royals.

Joe Lawrence spoke against their big game opponent. "They're coming into this match on a high", said Wrexwic's most outspoken defender. "They're pumped up and talking about the good ole days. That's what we want."

Lawrence was asked how he felt about the Amazons beating the Royals. "It's probably a better result for the Mainlanders", Lawrence said about Vangaziland. "It's clear they wouldn't have beaten us. Third place might be a better alternative in some ways."

The World Lacrosse Championships have increasingly become a league where overall medal count titles are valued over current championship status. "Let people focus on the title count", said middie Jaye Lindblom. "We stand focused on the future. We have to start that with the next game."

Wasps trained hard in their off day. They did conditioning in the morning and had a tactical afternoon session. The focus was on several scenerios they'd scouted based on Fleftic footage. They relaxed after dinner and watched the Royals-Cheergirls game.

"I told my team not to underestimate the Amazons", said captain Glover Webb, while speaking of their game against Vangaziland. "The Royals' loss was still a shock." The attackman was asked if his team would use tactics similar to what Wrexwic showed against Cheergirls. The Wasps adapted to a style of fundamentals that avoided contact with the younger team. "Absolutely not", said Webb. "My team knows that if I see anyone taking it easy on these Amazons, I'm fighting them."

"We weren't going to take it easy on Lizzie Borhanson", defenseman Lamar Jameson said about Vangaziland's center attackman. "These women are older than us. No offense." Jameson likely knew bringing up the age of his competitors might light a spark underneath them. The Wasps seemed to be probing the Amazons in their statements.

Vangaziland failed to get in the minds of the Fleftics. The Wasps were just a little more scrappy, just like their defense. The Amazons won a battle against another high scoring offense. Now they would have to bring their game against a higher ranked, more efficient defense.

"This is a statement game", said Wasp center attackman Glover Webb. "This is about us and the Ravens. There is also something on the line within the Empire. We need to topple Vangaziland's terminator. If we can establish control of the flow, it will really speak a lot."

The elephant in the room is that both teams squared off in last season's Championship. The Wasps walked away with the Empire's second consecutive title. "What happened last year doesn't impact this year", said keeper Keyon Sowley. "The defense will step up. I'll have to do the same. This isn't a given. We watched the Amazons put up a lot of shots against the Royals. They bring a lot of speed and power. It's going to be a major test of my reflexes and stamina."

The Wasps and Amazons are on a collision course with history. Lacrosse fans around the multiverse would watch the same two teams in a return to the big game. One thing was for sure. Sports gamblers were excited about the game. As underdogs, Abanhfleft won quite a bit of money for rebellious Vannish gamblers. Many lost it for betting on the Royals. Those who won, did so bigger than those who lost.

Notorious businessman Mikey Lazio was seen dancing outside of the Red Wave Casino Hotel in downtown Emeros. As a migrant to Vangaziland, the known gambler had little loyalty to the Royals. A difference in ranking gave Vangaziland a higher chance to win, along with such a high seed. Lazio put up quite a fair bit of money against the Royals, which he has not disclosed. It was enough to find him lost in a late night two-step dance.

"We can't have "Mikey Coconuts' dancing because of our loss", said Jaye Lindblom. It was bold for the young Wasp midfielder to call out a man with shady ties.

People of all sorts will tune in to watch the Wrexwic Wasps take on the Abanhfleft Amazons. Gamble wisely.
Last edited by Wrexwic on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:32 pm

This is the final cutoff of the tournament!

@ Concord Heights Stadium, Concord Heights
Wrexwic 9-7 Abanhfleft

Congratulations to the winner!
Last edited by Cassadaigua on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports