NATION

PASSWORD

Baptism of Fire 68

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cobrio
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cobrio » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:16 am

Cobrio 1–0 Carloso

Dupre 90+1'

Player of the Game: Idowu Cruz (CBR)

Venue: Natunolstadion Att: 73,913
Jansberg, Semarland

Squad:
CBR [4-3-3] | Cruz; Cooper, Johnson, Armstrong (c), Spence; Picard (Makonnen 74),
Fontaine, Ekeh (Munroe 57); Delfour, Warrington, Dupre

The final beckons. Cobrio's performances in the Baptism of Fire will certainly put some nations on high alert when World Cup qualifying starts in the coming months, but, as Lieutenant Uwusu remarked after the Panthers' hard-fought win over Carloso last night, "the job is not yet done."

Carloso boast a potent attack, and it would require superb discipline from the Cobre side to hold them at bay. "We could not afford to make the errors, like we did against Santa Rafa," explained Cobrio captain, Lewis Armstrong. "We needed to stay focused, strong."

Locals piled into the Natunolstadion to see this one en masse, backed up by a healthy contingent of Cobre fans after the Cobre Football Federation (CFF) subsidised tickets for young footballers, in the hopes that the national team's successes would help inspire the next generation. "It was decided that this was a wise investment for the future of the national team," explained Quincy Akabusi, a spokesperson for the CFF. "We have a lot of data showing that young people were inspired, and the government supported our goals in this, to bring the people together. To break down the tribal barriers that divide us so often, and become a stronger Cobrio, under football." A noble aim, no doubt.

Many suggested this would be the toughest test of Cobrio's abilities in the tournament thus far, owing to the stylistic matchup. Though Cobre football has its roots in the somewhat offensively-focused Osarian style, there are characteristics that go directly contrary to many of the more popular tenets of the methods preferred by their northern neighbours. "Cobre football is patient," said Didier Fontaine, who played a crucial role in the semi-final, marshalling the midfield for Cobrio. "It is not reactive, it is not proactive. It just is, you know? We are waiting for the moment, na, and when it is there, things will be happening."

It is this almost icy calm that permeates much of the squad, that was perhaps the primary factor responsible for the team's progress to the Baptism of Fire final. That and the heroics of Idowu Cruz in the face of the Carlosian attack. "I trust my defenders," shrugged Cruz, when asked how he kept his nerve during a particularly intense five minute spell late in the second half. "Everybody has a part to play, na. If you can trust everybody to play the part they are meant to play, everything is much simpler." With the two teams still locked in a goalless stalemate, Cruz made a stunning triple save, before flinging himself bodily across the goal to get a hand on a well placed Aarón Foster strike.

The Hastmead Diamante goalkeeper has been a paragon of consistency throughout the tournament so far, conceding just twice -- both against Santa Rafa -- as Cobrio head into the final. "Idowu is clever," says Armstrong. "He is not a loud man, but he can make himself heard when he needs to. I can play the game and know where he will be waiting without looking behind me, na. Or maybe I can leave the ball and know he will collect it oh."

So far in the tournament, Cruz's contribution to Cobrio's success has probably gone largely unnoticed, due to the outstanding performances elsewhere, and generally solid team performances. "It would be easy to say he has been rarely tested," suggested Jayden Obara, a Cobre pundit covering the tournament. "And so we don't know how good he really is. But I think that's unfair. He is rarely tested because he is so good." Obara went on to explain how Cruz positions himself wisely, and communicates with his defenders in subtle ways, using covert hand signals and head movements to make sure everyone is on the same page. "This is almost military precision." He added.

Speaking of military, several members of the Cobre squad are yet to complete their legislated mandatory service in one of the four branches of the Cobre Armed Forces -- Cobre Defense Force, Cobrio Coastal Defense, Cobrio Sky Patrol or United Cobre Intelligence -- though this obligation is effectively waived for what the Cobre Government describes as "elite international athletes". Normally, all capable Cobre citizens must serve a minimum of two years in the military, though those with the "elite international athlete" designation typically only complete basic training (six weeks) before being assigned to a military reserve roster, where they are almost never required to report for duty. However, the Lieutenant does not believe this is a major motivation for the players. "They want to win because they are competitive," he said matter-of-factly. "Military service is normal. Some would prefer not to complete it, but winning this tournament is not their goal for this reason. This makes no sense."

The winning goal in the semi final came in the first of four minutes of stoppage time, after a Maurice Delfour corner was inadequately cleared. Falling to Jahmeen Makonnen at the edge of the box, the Negus Koromanti midfielder played a short reverse pass to Raymond Dupre, who had found half a yard of space in the box. Dupre made no mistake, curling his strike beyond Alex Fernán. Idowu Cruz would cement his role as player of the game a minute later, thwarting Diego Santander in a one-on-one, before Cobrio cycled possession to run out the clock.

Ahead of the final, the question everyone is asking is whether or not teenage Cobre winger Moses Lofuko will play any part in the big game? He was on the bench last night against Carloso, though at no point did he warm up, leading to suggestions that his presence was purely for psychological reasons. "Moses is a part of this team," Lieutenant Uwusu told us, when asked. "The whole team should be present if possible. So Moses was present."

"Moses, you are young. You should wait. There will be other finals." The Doctor pleaded with him, advising against what he had resolved to do.

"But they are not this final, Doctor." Moses said, flatly. "They are my brothers, and I can help. So I should help."

"They would not appreciate you harming yourself to-"

"So they would accept it if I sti by and watch?" Moses snapped.

A tense moment passed, the Doctor's face hard as he searched the younger man's face for ... something. Finally, his expression softened.

"You know," he said, quietly. "You remind me of someone."

"Ch!" Moses sucked his teeth. "Is this the part where you tell me a story and I learn my lesson, and do as you tell me, na?"

The Doctor chuckled. "He said that too."

Moses simply frowned in response. Why did everyone treat him like a child? He was eighteen, legally a man.

"No you remind me of another young man," the Doctor went on, ignoring the silent -- but obvious -- protest, written all over Moses' face. "He was also very enthusiastic to help his teammates. His brothers."

"You tell me this already, na." Moses waved a hand dismissively. "Just tell me the story, ngugu1, so I can get the injection and be on my way oh."

"Always in such a rush," the doctor tutted. "The young man I knew was so eager to help, to be of value, he rushed into battle with a wound in his abdomen that was not correctly stitched." Moses knew what was coming next, he lowered his head. "The young man's wound re-opened while he was trying to help one of his brothers, and so his brother tried to help him." A pause, and a heavy exhalation that sounded almost like a sigh. "His brother, who was much healthier at this time, managed to give him the assistance he needed, and stopped the bleeding, just before the young man lost consciousness. When the young man regained his consciousness later, his brother was nowhere to be found."

Moses shook his head, furiously fighting back tears.

"The young man made his way back to camp, searching all the way for his brother. No signs." The Doctor sighed this time, definitely. "Back at the camp, reports said his brother was missing in action. They found him some time later, gunned down by the enemy. They shot him in the back as he was running." The doctor's voice wavered at this point, so he paused to compose himself. "Later they determined that the brother had deliberately run in the wrong direction to camp, to create a distraction. So they would not find the young man I speak of."

Moses felt it. He already knew this was coming, but it hit him nonetheless. Still fighting the tears, his voice a ragged whisper, he asked "why are you telling me this, ngugu?" There was a heavy silence, then a faint rustling. Moses looked up, and saw the doctor had removed his shirt.

A single, angry scar ran across the width of the Doctor's abdomen, just above the navel.

"Because I do not wish to see my errors repeated." He said.

1 - an informal way of addressing an elder, sort of like calling someone "gramps" in English. Mildly disrespectful.
Finally free of the oppressive yoke of the Osarian Kingdom.

Saint Agnesia
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Agnesia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:15 am

Hi, I hope it is not to late, but can I enter the Baptism of Fire?? Saint Agnesia would like to enter. :) :) :)

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Shofercia in the Finals after a Fiery 2-1 Victory! - Fire Safety Magazine

We're in the finals! Woohoo! And what better way to introduce fire safety regulations to the Shofercian Public than having a cartel shootout after the game! The Shofercians are slowly becoming used to Farfadillis' functioning dysfunction, the chaotic organization of organized chaos, the able inability to avoid adventure with even a hint of order, we are slowly falling in love with this place! Granted, President Alex Terán cheering on the Shofercians, even in a single game, also helped.

Did you notice how no Shofercians were killed during the shoot out, even though quite a few were shot? That's because we practice fire safety. The first step is to...

Victory! And a Shootout! - Shofercia's Fantastic Footballer

We won, we won, we won! And it was followed by a shootout, but not the kind you'd think. And you thought the Shofercians party wildly, but after a trip to Farfadillis, I am never complaining about my neighbors again. Ever! On the game!

There was a scoreless first half, that saw quite a bit of action and a few amazing shots. Not the kind of shots that happened after the game, but amazing shots nonetheless. In the second half, the coach made a substitution, Victor Wild for Salvatore Brady. The tempo changed quickly, and in the 55th minute Salvatore Brady scored off of an amazing pass from Roy Ostriy. It was a shot to remember until the end of the game, when a few other shots became memorable.

That goal did not break the will of Freeport, who redoubled their attacks and their efforts. Puzzle Pierce scored in the 75th minute, assisted by Sonar Amethyst. That pass was batshit insane, in a very ponyesque style. Chants of "Odo, Odo, Odo" were heard from Freeport's section. The Shofercians, who once again dominated the stadium, picked up the chanting, trying to out chant Freeport's fans who accepted the challenge, and the noise grew deafening.

In the 86th minute the ball passed to Roy Ostriy, and he was off, looking for his sweet spot. Freeport's players panicked and rushed to cover. Keeper Kukiri stood her ground. But Roy had something else in mind. Just before approaching his spot, he made a beautiful pass, with an arc that only Roy can make, to Volk Zabivaika. Suddenly, Freeport was out of position, the noise added to the pressure, and Volk's header was phenomenal. Upper left hand corner. The ruckus was unimaginable. The Shofercians were minutes away from going to the Finals. "SHOFERCIA! SHOFERCIA! SHOFERCIA!" was the chant and the defense, anchored by Vladislav Konvalenko, held!

The parents and kids were excited as they exited the stadium, after seeing the Shofercians win. The father decided to make a boast: "after seeing those two amazing shots go in, not even getting shot would depress me!" A minute later he was being shot at. The Shofercians quickly fell to the ground and started rolling away from the shootout. Some were shot, including the father. Truth be told, he was still in high spirits, and consumed quite a bit of spirits, claiming "I need to nurse my wound, and this helps!" With Shofercia's stellar healthcare, once the fans are home they'll be quite well taken care of, so the Shofercians weren't worried about that; the fans who were shot were worried about missing the finals.

Host: "Welcome to Football Analytics, Shofercia's Football talk show! And before we begin, I just have a quick comment to make: did you notice how every single paper made a pun?"
Analyst: "Well, we're a very punny nation. Making puns is just what we do. You could even say that we always have a pun in the oven."
Host: "But the newspapers diverged on the shootout; some were entertained, some found it funny, some educational, and very few found it appalling. But not making a pun? Are we really that scared of being found punniless?"
Analyst: "Not really, but it's humor that we all grew up with, that we all enjoy. Puns are magical. Remember Shakespeare - you will find me a grave man!"
Host: "So after we're shot at, you're too damn busy making puns?!"
Analyst: "First, they weren't shooting at us, they were shooting at each other, probably as a part of President Alex Terán's program to provide the Rulandese with enough weapons to wipe each other out. Second, none of our fans were severely hurt, much less killed. Third, we will take care of them once they're back, and there's only one game left. Fourth, we knew the risks going to Farfadillis."
Host: "Just, sometimes it seems like our priorities are out of whack."
Analyst: "Said the guy who's spending a good chunk of his program analyzing gun shots, when he's paid to analyze other shots, which might lead to his viewers taking vodka shots."
Host: "Point taken, and now we go to commercial, which talks about jaeger bombs"
Analyst: "Oh, is that the punny one where Human Rights presented as da bomb?"

Host: "And we're back. There's just one more thing I want to discuss. Have you seen that crazy guy, who was apparently oblivious to the entire thread of football that's been going on in Farfadillis, just wandered in, and asked, can I enter the Baptism of Fire?"
Analyst: "you forget where we're at? Farfadillis. The land of Shofercia on Bacchus, maybe that's why we feel right at home here. Should be offer them a friendly?"
Host: "Who? Farfadillis, or the crazy guy?"
Analyst: "Uhhh..."
Host: "You know what I meant, damn it!"
Analyst: "I'd say both!"

The King's Paper

The King arrived in a Just You Wait t-shirt, a popular cartoon in Shofercia about a wolf who always tries to catch a rabbit, but never succeeds, and gets taught the value of being a social asset, rather than a social liability in the process. Normally, he wouldn't arrive in an official capacity, but this was Farfadillis, a land of sane insanity, where officially arriving was the sane thing to do.

The fans saluted the King as he arrived, taking his seat among them. He swapped stories, jokes, took photos at the stadium with the kids, and was quite loquacious. But once the game started, the King was watching it, intensively. Nothing else existed. He cheered. He chuckled. He cursed. He was the People's King. When Salvatore Brady scored, the King was one of the first to jump up and cheer. When Puzzle Piece scored, the King was the first to remain seated and boo. And when Volk Zabivaika scored, the King danced an Irish jig right there in the stadium, much to the delight of the fans.

Just as the King was existed the stadium, the shootout happened. The King stopped, took a look around the scene, and ordered his bodyguards to tend to the wounded and assist the evacuation. He'd be fine. He was wearing a bulletproof vest. He saw a family that was terrified, calmed them down, and gently helped them exit. He had special forces training, and as long as he stayed out of certain lines of fire, the Knew it. He'd be fine. After the game and the evacuation the King headed to the, stopping by the camera, our camera to make just one comment: "those were some fine shots inside the stadium, and some berzerk shots outside of it." Even the King couldn't resist the Shofercian Craze of Punniness.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Semarland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Semarland » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Cutoff for the Third Place Playoff!
The Republic of Semarland
Capital: Jansberg - Demonym: Semar/Semarlandic - Trigramme: SEM
sportsat.sem
Hosted: Trindl Cup I/II, Baptism of Fire 68
Champions: Meski Cup I, 5AS WC II, U18 WC I
<Nephara> RETURN OF Sem|Transfers THE PEOPLES' CHAMPION
<Jeck> If Sem RPs as much as he transfers, next cycle we're all screwed
<Yttribia> Sem seems like the sort of guy who'd work at Tesco's and slide his mixtape in each bag

Semarland
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Semarland » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Third Place Playoff Result

Freeport 3–3 Carloso (3–3 AET) (4–5 pen.) - at Natunolstadion, Jansberg, 19:00
sportsat.sem
<Yttribia> Sem seems like the sort of guy who'd work at Tesco's and slide his mixtape in each bag

Krenorus
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Krenorus » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:37 pm

On the Airport runway, there was an aeroplane. The wind blew in a mediocre breeze and the birds whistled... it was dawn. Near the aeroplane, there was a makeshift stage, dozens of reporters facing it. On the runway, the team walked towards the aeroplane. Behind them, a coffin... the coffin of Leonard Lionels. It was not decorated with much, but a Krenorussian flag which was placed on top of it. Gerald Barbs, injured in the knife attack, wore a loose buttoned-up shirt over his wounds. He watched the Krenorussians as they stepped onto the white, creamy passenger boarding stairs. An eerie feeling gripped the Krenorussians, especially Lord Ryland van Gaal, who stood behind the coffin. Before the Lord could step onto the plane, Gerald Barbs laid his hand on the Lord's shoulder. "We need to talk to the press," he said. "They wish to see you the most. You can go onto the plane, or you can come with me."

Lord van Gaal looked at the manager for a second, before agreeing to go along with Barbs to the makeshift stage. A microphone was there, placed on top of a table. As they walked onto the stage, the paparazzi took plenty of photos as the journalist quickly walked forward. "Mister Barbs," one of the journalists said, "How do you feel about Mister Lionels' unfortunate death?" Barbs looked at the journalist as he bent a little bit down to get close to the microphone. "We - the Krenorussian team - feel sad that he was murdered," Barbs said, holding back from shedding tears. More questions were asked about everything... from the party the team had to the games the team played... all the way to game with Carloso. Finally, it was time for the final question. "Lord van Gaal," the journalist said, "how do you feel about Carloso and will you be happy to play with them again."

Lord Ryland van Gaal went slowly to the microphone and said, "We will be happy to meet Carloso in the World Cup. We are also happy how far we made it in the Baptism of Fire. Next time, most of our team won't be having hangovers," he said to claps. After that, they walked onto the aeroplane, which soon took off.
This is 4000+ words long... so I'll just put the link to it here...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/103_ ... sp=sharing

Diplomatic Server:

https://discord.gg/D8twyGs

Krenorussian Broadcasting Corporation (INTERNATIONAL): NO CURRENT NEWS

Farfadillis
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Farfadillis » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Cut-off.
The Outlandish Lands of Farfadillis Ӿ Population: 20,814,000 ± 11,186,000
Capital: not applicable Ӿ Demonym: Farf, plural Farves
Shango-Fogoa Premier League (wiki) Ӿ Farfadillis national football team Ӿ Map of Farfadillis Ӿ Name Generator

Champions: World Cup 84 and AOCAF Cups 43, 48 and 57
Hosts: World Cups 85 and 91, Baptisms of Fire 54, 68 and 78 and AOCAF Cups 38, 60 and 67

Farfadillis
Minister

Postby Farfadillis » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Cobrio 3–1 Shofercia
(Because of a confusion regarding Daylight Saving Time, the closing ceremony was performed during half time)

Congratulations to the champions, commiseration to the runners-up and good luck in the World Cup*!

*: Qualifying Stage
Shango-Fogoa Premier League (wiki) Ӿ Farfadillis national football team Ӿ Map of Farfadillis Ӿ Name Generator

Hosts: World Cups 85 and 91, Baptisms of Fire 54, 68 and 78 and AOCAF Cups 38, 60 and 67

Farfadillis
Minister

Postby Farfadillis » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 am

IDEAL XI ANNOUNCEMENT

FULL SQUAD:
GK: Kukiri, Freeport
CB: Tervi Oleb, Squornshelan Remnant States
CB: Lewis Armstrong, Cobrio
CB: Axel Anderson, Kavagrad
LM: Liam McRae, Santa Rafa
CM: Roy Ostryi, Shofercia
CM: Shane Cosgrave, Carloso
RM: Raymond Dupré, Cobrio
ST: Alexandre Aïvtchenko, Michine
ST: Babatunde Warrington, Cobrio
ST: Volk Zabivaika, Shofercia
GK: Idowu Cruz, Cobrio
CB: Miguel Alvarado, Santa Rafa
CM: Arlo Damot, Squornshelan Remnant States
ST: Diego Santander, Carloso

Only four substitutes were named because naming more was "too much of a hassle" according to the FFFF. In their official statement, they also broke the fourth well by mentioning that this was true OOCly as well.

The ideal XI will play two exhibition matches: one against Semarland and one against Farfadillis.

Farfadillis
Minister

Postby Farfadillis » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 pm

THE BAPTISM OF FIRE 68 ELEVEN CHALLENGE
At La Fantás, Ferdullaele, Farfadillis
------Farfadillis [2] - [4] Baptism of Fire XI
10' Êns (FFD)
22' Zabivaika (BoF)
29' Warrington (BoF)
42' Aïvtchenko (BoF)
65' McRae (BoF)
85' Wçêíl (FFD)

The Baptism of Fire XI surprised the world by defeating one of the best teams in the Multiverse that was both featuring their best players and at home. What's more, the Farves have played together for years, while the Baptismers don't even speak the same language. Still, football sometimes surprises us like that.

The match began as it usually does when Farfadillis plays: with very high intensity. It also started as many expected it to: with Farfadillis taking the lead. Eleonóra passed to Wínrôuge, who sent Êns though with a very incisive pass. Once inside the box, having snuck past Armstrong and Anderson, Êns placed the ball well away from Kukiri's reach, putting Farfadillis ahead in the tenth minute. At this point, a thrashing was in the cards.

However, the Baptismers retaliated quickly. Just twelve minutes later, a brilliant collaboration between Shofercian Roy Ostryi and Volk Zabivaika got them past the admittedly flaky Farf defense. Kósa Bajnok couldn't stop Zabivaika. The Shofercian had the sense of smell of a wolf when it came to sniffing out goals, which made him realize the Farf had left a hole with his positioning. When facing Tgô, he simply dribbled him and slotted the ball in. Slightly unexpected, surely, but many expected Farfadillis to win despite the setback.

The real shock came seven minutes later, when Warrington picked up the ball a few meters from the box, looked up and unleashed a powerful, deceitful shot that got the better of the Farf goalkeeper. It was the feeling of many of the Farves present that this was pure luck. This was not, however, the feeling of those Farves that had actually watched Cobrio's games.

As they always do when behind in the score, the Farves began pushing forward a bit too much, and it cost them. A wonderfully-executed counterattack culminated in Cosgrave sending Aïvtchenko through. The Michinien striker chipped it over Tgô, who was beginning to look like a fool in front of three strikers who had less than thirty games of international experience between them. The goal was almost comical: the Baptismers were showing much more teamwork than the Farves had shown in the previous ten years.

Half time came and went, and the Farves came out of the dressing room looking to pull one back. They got scored on again.

Rafano winger Liam McRae, who must've caught the eye of a thousand Farf scouts at this point, dribbled past Marchiondo and Bajnok before hitting a powerful shot that unsurprisingly got past Íüé Tgô. Have we mentioned this was Íüé Tgô's debút for the national team? Anyway, yes, a fantastic goal from the Rafano player. Perhaps even the highlight of the night.

The Baptismers held onto their lead quite well, though in the dying minutes of the game the Farves managed to avoid a thrashing thanks to a nice piece of individual talent from Lüí Wçêíl, who dribbled past Anderson and pulled off a precise shot to the right post of Kukiri, who couldn't be faulted for not stopping it.

When the game came to an end, the friendly atmosphere that had been lost in the past two hours reappeared, and the rest of the night proved to be fun, fire-free and death-free for all involved.

Semarland
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Semarland » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:12 pm

THE BAPTISM OF FIRE 68 ELEVEN CHALLENGE
Natunolstadion, Jansberg, Semarland
------Semarland [4] - [3] Baptism of Fire XI
14' Hamilton (SEM)
27' Warrington (BoF)
36' Richards (SEM)
47' Warrington (BoF)
63' Aïvtchenko (BoF)
75' Strand (SEM)
88' Chalobah (SEM)

And so the 68th Baptism of Fire drew to a close, going out with a bang in an enthralling encounter between a fairly new-look Semarland side and the best of the best of this edition's entrants. After the Baptismers surprised Farfadillis in a 4-2 win at La Fantás the other day, Kadell Stevens knew full well they weren't to be understimated. However, he handed full debuts to four players - full-backs Romelle Mackie-Pierre and Kurtis Ashton-Brown, plus FC Jansberg duo Remaeo Hutton and Tyae Hamilton. And the latter two made a near-instant impact, with Hutton threading through an inch-perfect pass into the path of Tyae Hamilton, who got the better of Axel Anderson before carefully placing home past Kukiri just 14 minutes in.

Babatunde Warrington hit back for the visitors though, with a looping header after losing his marker during a corner. Just moments before Shane Cosgrave hit a testing effort from the edge of the penalty area that Martin Valbuena pushed around the post, but he was rooted to the spot as Cobrio's Warrington leapt like a salmon above the Semarland defenders to head home the equaliser. However, it could perhaps be said the frontman got a bit too overconfident and under ten minutes later he was caught dawdling by Yohannes Melbourne, who dispossed him before finding Kwaeome Richards with a perfectly weighted pass - the young frontman powering home into the roof of the net for his first international goal.

Both teams made a single change each at the break, swapping their goalkeepers. Stephane Claro-Hunt came on for Semarland whilst Idowu Cruz entered the field for the Baptismers. The latter were the livelier after the restart, with the enigmatic Warrington making up for that early blip to get his second goal of the game with an exquisite finish. His performances (plus others from Cobrio) have surely attracted the attention of clubs in Semarland, who'll look to make their first forays into the international transfer market post-"gap".

Michine's Alexandre Aïvtchenko but the Baptismers in front 63 minutes in, after good work down the left from Liam McRae. McRae played a neat one two with substitute Arlo Damot before pulling it back for Aïvtchenko to neatly slot home past Claro-Hunt. Damot had a chance himself to get onto the scoresheet, with a curling strike just getting into the reach of Claro-Hunt's fingertips. That goal sparked the energy inside Semarland who hit back with Marcos Sevenoaks running the length of the field before firing just wide of Idowu Cruz's goalpost.

Semarland got their goal however, with debutant Max Mikkelmarkt teeing up Marc Strand who lobbed it over the advancing Cruz to level the scores. The Cobrio shot-stopper was having an impressive game, making some spectacular saves to prevent Kadeem Bailey-Foster and another debutant in Javan Parfitt-Hendricks from getting onto the scoresheet. However there was nothing he could do about Martell Chalobah's 88th minute winner - the captain scoring in similar fashion to Babatunde Warrington's first goal of the game.

After the post-match closing ceremony, the Cobrio squad performed a lap of honour around the Natunolstadion. SFA President Marc Lygaard mentioned in an earlier press conference that he hoped to build relations between the two countries footballing wise and he also gave credit to some of the other countries that took part, such as Santa Rafa, Carloso, Michine and Freeport to name a few. Focus now turns to World Cup qualification, where, quite ironically, Farfadillis are also competing for a qualification spot alongside Semarland. New Baptism of Fire alumni Santa Rafa will also be there, who Lygaard mentioned he is excited to see face off against Semarland.

Semarland: Martin Valbuena (Stephane Claro-Hunt HT); Romelle Mackie-Pierre, Amani Chimbonda (Kadeem Bailey-Foster 60), Martell Chalobah, Kurtis Ashton Brown; Remaeo Hutton, Marc Strand, Yohannes Melbourne (Max Mikkelmarkt 60); Marcos Sevenoaks, Kwaeome Richards (Javan Parfitt-Hendricks 60), Tyae Hamilton

Baptism of Fire XI: Kukiri (Idowu Cruz HT); Tervi Oleb (Miguel Alvarado 60), Lewis Armstrong, Axel Anderson; Liam McRae, Roy Ostryi (Arlo Damot 60), Shane Cosgrave, Raymond Dupre; Alexandre Aïvtchenko, Babatunde Warrington, Volk Zabivaika (Diego Santander 60)

Thank you for taking part in the 68th Baptism of Fire in Farfadillis and Semarland!
sportsat.sem

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports