NATION

PASSWORD

Athletics/Aquatics World Championships Interest

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Athletics/Aquatics World Championships Interest

Postby Banija » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:58 pm

So I've been around here for a while, and I've never seen, really, world championships(non-Olympic) events for Athletics and Aquatics events, outside of water polo.

I feel like those would be cool- they're interesting to watch, fairly popular, and if done, right, could run smoothly.

Of course, this community has been around for ages, so I guess I'll ask those- has anything like this been tried before? Have they generally been successful? Have people RPed?

Now, of course, if this were to happen(and I'd volunteer to host if enough people wanted it to happen) I do want to clarify a few things.

1. It would function as a world championships for both athletics, and aquatics. It, of course, would not be a substitute for, nor a competitor, to the Olympic Games, for which I wouldn't be able to pull off the Herculean task of hosting at this time. I know there's discussions regarding scheduling and timing of a bid to host that whole thing, and I certainly would not run this event if it ends up conflicting with the Olympics.

2. Knowing my own capabilities, since I'd be running both athletics and aquatics at the same time, I'd probably run a scaled down version of both- almost no chance I would put every single event for both in there. I'd probably have only 32 medal events- 8 men's athletics events, 8 women's athletic events, 8 men's aquatic events, 8 women's aquatic events. Not sure what they'd be at this time- I'd need to do some research of course.

3. In terms of calendar wise, I'd probably try to run something like this in October, after the completion of World Cup 81.

But yea. Your thoughts, agreements, disagreements, love, hate, ideas, etc.... Anything you want to say, please, go ahead.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Qusmo
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qusmo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:11 pm

I'd be interesting to hear about Olympic events in non-Olympic tournaments in general. I've long been interested by curling, & I pondered asking around for interest in a curling tournament for a short while, but I decided against it after I considered how many people are rabid curling fans. I think an athletics/aquatics tournament would be a better idea for a tournament for a sport that's less closely-followed. You already have hosting experience, & I trust you to run a tournament like this effectively, but a question: Would you take users' inputs for initial skill ratings, like the NS Olympics does, to differentiate good competitors in one event from another?
Hello! It's nice to see you again.
Qusma projects include: uni·q · Free Qusmo · Original Qusma newswire
Puppets: Sanford · Space Laser Dinosaur Robot Pirate Land · Xuois · The Heraion · UNI-Q
Feel free to newgen Qusmi'y for your leagues with this Qusma name generator, which generates fifty new Qusma names upon each page refresh.
Support: Good things
Against: Bad things
Neutral: Other things
"what the fuck qusmo"

Darmen
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Darmen does love their distance running. Count me down as interested.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:56 pm

Banija wrote:So I've been around here for a while, and I've never seen, really, world championships(non-Olympic) events for Athletics and Aquatics events, outside of water polo.

I feel like those would be cool- they're interesting to watch, fairly popular, and if done, right, could run smoothly.

Of course, this community has been around for ages, so I guess I'll ask those- has anything like this been tried before? Have they generally been successful? Have people RPed?

Now, of course, if this were to happen(and I'd volunteer to host if enough people wanted it to happen) I do want to clarify a few things.

1. It would function as a world championships for both athletics, and aquatics. It, of course, would not be a substitute for, nor a competitor, to the Olympic Games, for which I wouldn't be able to pull off the Herculean task of hosting at this time. I know there's discussions regarding scheduling and timing of a bid to host that whole thing, and I certainly would not run this event if it ends up conflicting with the Olympics.

2. Knowing my own capabilities, since I'd be running both athletics and aquatics at the same time, I'd probably run a scaled down version of both- almost no chance I would put every single event for both in there. I'd probably have only 32 medal events- 8 men's athletics events, 8 women's athletic events, 8 men's aquatic events, 8 women's aquatic events. Not sure what they'd be at this time- I'd need to do some research of course.

3. In terms of calendar wise, I'd probably try to run something like this in October, after the completion of World Cup 81.

But yea. Your thoughts, agreements, disagreements, love, hate, ideas, etc.... Anything you want to say, please, go ahead.

would there be a pre-qualifying event for nations who have not competed before, like the Baptism of Fire for the World Cup?

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 pm

ICly, the folks at the Sherpa Ministry of Culture would be interested in this. OOCly, I am not sure how much time I will have to RP.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Bruke wrote:
Banija wrote:So I've been around here for a while, and I've never seen, really, world championships(non-Olympic) events for Athletics and Aquatics events, outside of water polo.

would there be a pre-qualifying event for nations who have not competed before, like the Baptism of Fire for the World Cup?

No. Since this would be the first of its kind(or, most likely, first in a REALLY long time) nobody will have established rankings going into these competitions, so people would be able to sign up directly into the competition.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Qusmo wrote:I'd be interesting to hear about Olympic events in non-Olympic tournaments in general. I've long been interested by curling, & I pondered asking around for interest in a curling tournament for a short while, but I decided against it after I considered how many people are rabid curling fans. I think an athletics/aquatics tournament would be a better idea for a tournament for a sport that's less closely-followed. You already have hosting experience, & I trust you to run a tournament like this effectively, but a question: Would you take users' inputs for initial skill ratings, like the NS Olympics does, to differentiate good competitors in one event from another?

Yes, I would likely use a NS Olympic style signup with user input for initial skill rating. It's a system that works well over there, and serves, from what I can gather, two very good purposes

1. Allows users to rank their athletes, so it's clear to both them and others who they'd probably expect to do well in a competition, and particularly, what competitions the nation would likely do well in.

2. Allows for more effective view of the competition. Who is good, who is the favorite, who to watch out for, etc...
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

Qusmo
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qusmo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Banija wrote:
Qusmo wrote:I'd be interesting to hear about Olympic events in non-Olympic tournaments in general. I've long been interested by curling, & I pondered asking around for interest in a curling tournament for a short while, but I decided against it after I considered how many people are rabid curling fans. I think an athletics/aquatics tournament would be a better idea for a tournament for a sport that's less closely-followed. You already have hosting experience, & I trust you to run a tournament like this effectively, but a question: Would you take users' inputs for initial skill ratings, like the NS Olympics does, to differentiate good competitors in one event from another?

Yes, I would likely use a NS Olympic style signup with user input for initial skill rating. It's a system that works well over there, and serves, from what I can gather, two very good purposes

1. Allows users to rank their athletes, so it's clear to both them and others who they'd probably expect to do well in a competition, and particularly, what competitions the nation would likely do well in.

2. Allows for more effective view of the competition. Who is good, who is the favorite, who to watch out for, etc...

I'd add, also, that it can reflect reality well; instead of the same nations (who would get uniform RP bonuses for all competitions throughout the tournament, I'd imagine) doing well or doing poorly in nearly every event, some nations can do well in some events, while other nations would do well at others. That's similar, I think, to how Italy typically does well at football & water polo, but not gymnastics or ice hockey, or how Russia typically performs in the inverse. Both perform well overall, but their nations (& cultures [& climates]) emphasize different sports. Plus, users who are OOC fans of one sport but don't really care about another can prioritize the former at the expense of the latter, which I think is another positive of the system.

As much as I like the idea OOCly, as an IC note, I don't think Qusmo would be keen on entering a tournament with separate men's & women's events, seeing as gender doesn't exist in Qusmo.
Last edited by Qusmo on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! It's nice to see you again.
Qusma projects include: uni·q · Free Qusmo · Original Qusma newswire
Puppets: Sanford · Space Laser Dinosaur Robot Pirate Land · Xuois · The Heraion · UNI-Q
Feel free to newgen Qusmi'y for your leagues with this Qusma name generator, which generates fifty new Qusma names upon each page refresh.
Support: Good things
Against: Bad things
Neutral: Other things
"what the fuck qusmo"

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I’m interested
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Qusmo wrote:
Banija wrote:

I'd add, also, that it can reflect reality well; instead of the same nations (who would get uniform RP bonuses for all competitions throughout the tournament, I'd imagine) doing well or doing poorly in nearly every event, some nations can do well in some events, while other nations would do well at others. That's similar, I think, to how Italy typically does well at football & water polo, but not gymnastics or ice hockey, or how Russia typically performs in the inverse. Both perform well overall, but their nations (& cultures [& climates]) emphasize different sports. Plus, users who are OOC fans of one sport but don't really care about another can prioritize the former at the expense of the latter, which I think is another positive of the system.

As much as I like the idea OOCly, as an IC note, I don't think Qusmo would be keen on entering a tournament with separate men's & women's events, seeing as gender doesn't exist in Qusmo.

Yes, that's also a very good point in regards to the initial skill ratings.

In terms of gender- I was originally going to propose making it non sex specific, since that's the norm for most competition in NS. However, I didn't for 2 reasons, and primarily reason #1.

1. xkoronate for athletics and aquatics competition is gender specific.

2. It'd help w/ consistency, as NS Sports other major event for these sports (the Olympics) is gender specific.

I'm.sure, however, there are ways to RP around that if most people said they wanted the competition to be genderless like we do here for sports, and simply score every one under the men's formula. But yea, that'd be an important issue to talk about as well, in my opinion.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:06 pm

of course I'd be interested.
If you were going to have a limited athletics meet, I think you'd have to have 100/200/400/800/1500m, 4x100/4x400 relays and 10K. And ?? field events...or maybe no relays and high jump/long jump or shot/discuss?
Swimming same thing, I think you'd have to have 3 or 4 sprints, a couple of longer races and maybe an IM and diving.

It's doable, and probably would generate a fair amount of interest, IMO.
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008

Postby Liventia » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:09 am

Civil Citizenry used to run a Water World Championships, of which there have been three (I think) four (last in 2012). So no, this would certainly not be the first aquatics world championship.

On the athletics side, Krytenia ran the most recent NS-wide non-Olympic meet (although not officially called a world championships, it was certainly at world championship level, and I would argue he has first refusal on the 'athletics world championships' name).

The main obstacle, as far as I can see, is a full complement of events (which you are not proposing) would be a lot of work for what would be relatively little RP (the water world championships went beyond just the regular aquatics events, but also included other water sports like canoeing and rowing). As a host that's just a bit underwhelming.

My strong suggestion would be to choose one of the sports and stick to it, running a full programme; not a mix. If it is to be a mix, I would advise against calling it a world championship. I also don't believe an event billed as a 'world championship' should have anything other than all the events that would be expected.

Perhaps a better idea, if you want to run a condensed list of events, is a Diamond League-style event of multiple meets with only selected events at each meet. Alternatively, the inaugural Athletics World Cup, with a reduced list of events, is taking place in real-life right now, and that could be an option (although perhaps not as that's an invitational, with no heats involved and straight finals).
Last edited by Liventia on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
Слава Україні!

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:23 am

If you do plan on going with a standalone athletics championship, do feel free to drop me a TG regarding continuation of the NSAC name.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

The glory of england
Civilian

Founded: Sep 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby The glory of england » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:13 am

I'd definitely be interested.
Since a whole athletics world championship with all events would be a very big ask to rp, perhaps it could be split up between several 'host cities,' rped by different people.
Alternatively, this could also serve as a test for prospective Olympic hosts that the ns community isn't sure about to maybe get some experience in.

- GVH, posting from another account because lazy.

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Commonwealth of Baker Park wrote:of course I'd be interested.
If you were going to have a limited athletics meet, I think you'd have to have 100/200/400/800/1500m, 4x100/4x400 relays and 10K. And ?? field events...or maybe no relays and high jump/long jump or shot/discuss?
Swimming same thing, I think you'd have to have 3 or 4 sprints, a couple of longer races and maybe an IM and diving.

It's doable, and probably would generate a fair amount of interest, IMO.

I haven't chosen what kind of events I'd run yet, and the 8 or so events isn't a hard number- it's something that could go either up or down, depending on interest and what kind of events people want to do, and what we need to fit. It's a good point to emphasize, though, that if this was to be a combined event, it wouldn't be a full complement of all events that you see at the RL world championships in both aquatics and athletics.

Liventia wrote:Civil Citizenry used to run a Water World Championships, of which there have been three (I think) four (last in 2012). So no, this would certainly not be the first aquatics world championship.

On the athletics side, Krytenia ran the most recent NS-wide non-Olympic meet (although not officially called a world championships, it was certainly at world championship level, and I would argue he has first refusal on the 'athletics world championships' name).

The main obstacle, as far as I can see, is a full complement of events (which you are not proposing) would be a lot of work for what would be relatively little RP (the water world championships went beyond just the regular aquatics events, but also included other water sports like canoeing and rowing). As a host that's just a bit underwhelming.

My strong suggestion would be to choose one of the sports and stick to it, running a full programme; not a mix. If it is to be a mix, I would advise against calling it a world championship. I also don't believe an event billed as a 'world championship' should have anything other than all the events that would be expected.

Perhaps a better idea, if you want to run a condensed list of events, is a Diamond League-style event of multiple meets with only selected events at each meet. Alternatively, the inaugural Athletics World Cup, with a reduced list of events, is taking place in real-life right now, and that could be an option (although perhaps not as that's an invitational, with no heats involved and straight finals).

I figured as much, in the long history of NS Sports, there'd be no way there'd be zero athletics or aquatics world championships tried- however, in my time here, I've never seen anything of the sort.

All of those ideas make sense- I reckon I'd need to look into all of that closely. Though, of course, the world championships idea for an event like this without all of the expected events... What you're saying there makes quite a bit of sense, in my opinion, and is definitely something that I'd follow.

I also didn't propose running an entirety of one(athletics OR aquatics), as since it had been so long since either had happened, I would imagine that interest would be.... Probably not as strong.

The Diamond League style, of course, would be an interesting idea- not something I've heard of until I looked up in response to this. Intriguing, though I feel a singular event would work better for something like this.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

South Toronto
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby South Toronto » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm

I'd be interested in this.
2nd place finish in BoF 66. There's more to come! Hopefully..
Your young don from Southwest London and I bang out 410, AM Skengdo, 1011 and a host of UK drill artists. You probably thought I was Canadian 'cause of my nation's name and flag, but I am actually Ugandan and I live in London.
Hosted the inaugural STIC, and a domestic newswire up and running. They will be a few more soon...
And remember guys, Toronton is Singular, South Toronton is an Adjective, and Torontons is Plural! Also, the USST is an abbreviation of Unified Socialist States of South Toronto, and apart from marijuana and abortion being legal, and our environmental policies, in no way does this nation reflect my RL views.

Razenthuria
Envoy

Founded: Oct 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Razenthuria » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:36 pm

I think this or something similwar attempted by Star United States (?) can't exactly remember but I think non-Olympic competitions for Olympic sports is definitely something thst can gain traction. Not sure how much rp I can cram in between my non-forum nation and all my sporting events on NS Sports but I would def be interested in being the Ethiopia of athletics. :rofl: .
- RZN
STATE OF RAZENTHURIA
| Capital: Tynedale | Trigram: RZN | Elector Primo: R'Verzaka (M) |
[sub]| Football: 108th, KPB: 5.44 | Gridiron: [ ... ] | Lacrosse: 16th, Pts.: .5 |
| Sportswire | RZN Info | LionSport |

West Phoenicia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby West Phoenicia » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:24 am

West Phoenicia would be interested.

Having a Separate Aquatics Event and Athletics event might look good too. That way your only tackling one genre of sport at a time.
But West Phoenicia would roleplqy of such events were held.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm interested, and I can probably commit to one or the other; maybe to both, not sure about that.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:26 am

Might I make a bold suggestion, if you are keen to run an event like this you're about 1/3rd of the way to doing the Olympics. Why not try and find someone else (sorry, not me this time) interested in doing the same to co-host the Olympics with?

I don't mean to suggest what you're suggesting here doesn't have merit, but it seems like you might as well go big here.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports