NATION

PASSWORD

XIII Winter Olympics — OOC thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Amuaplye
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Ioudaia wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:You can have him meet Oswell.

Maybe. I think he might be heads-down, practicing for his next event.

The result just surprised me. Are RPing, chance, and skill equal factors for the scorinator?

It seems like the modifier doesn't even have a role.
I'm a dude.
Also, call me Amuaplye, not Amuapyle, or Amu.

Electrum on Discord wrote:Please do not ping me a list of body parts.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Ioudaia wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:You can have him meet Oswell.

Maybe. I think he might be heads-down, practicing for his next event.

The result just surprised me. Are RPing, chance, and skill equal factors for the scorinator?

That is what we try to balance.

Also, I realise for the slopestyle event today I used the wrong format: 2 runs instead of 3. I won't correct the results, but this will be the format moving forward for the halfpipe and other slopestyle events for both snowboard and free ski. You can just say the last run was cancelled in advance due to high wind forecast. (If for whatever reason, you want to complain about it in a roleplay, send your messages to Kenny Dartmouth, the international coordinator)
Last edited by Electrum on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:18 am

It is an age-old saying on NS Sport. RP does not guarantee results. The aim is to have fun RPing, not to RP for a win. Please stop expecting to do well just because you've posted an RP. There are over 100 athletes in some events. Only three can medal.
Last edited by Liventia on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am

Electrum wrote:Also, I realise for the slopestyle event today I used the wrong format: 2 runs instead of 3. I won't correct the results, but this will be the format moving forward for the halfpipe and other slopestyle events for both snowboard and free ski. You can just say the last run was cancelled in advance due to high wind forecast. (If for whatever reason, you want to complain about it in a roleplay, send your messages to Kenny Dartmouth, the international coordinator)

This was for the men's snowboard slopestyle? I think I might just do that and use the wind factor and Dartmouth in our next RP.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Laeral
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Laeral » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 am

I'm honestly really surprised at the medals (1 gold, 1 bronze) that Laeralian athletes have won. I'm on vacation and haven't had time to roleplay since day 1, so I wasn't expecting to do well due to the lack of roleplay bonuses.
Second Allied Provinces of Laeral: A Chinese-inspired semi-presidential democracy, grappling with the legacy of French colonial rule.
Author of Issue #808, Big Trouble in Little Dàguó, and Issue #971, Ambassadors Inextraordinary

Teremaran Olympics Delegation
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2017

Postby Teremaran Olympics Delegation » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:22 am

Laeral wrote:I'm honestly really surprised at the medals (1 gold, 1 bronze) that Laeralian athletes have won. I'm on vacation and haven't had time to roleplay since day 1, so I wasn't expecting to do well due to the lack of roleplay bonuses.

Just as Liventia talked about not expecting medals from RP, the inverse can also be true due to the random factor with scorinators. Sometimes you win just by being an entry in the event, even if you didn't top out on skill points for your athlete. You won Maggie's jackpot this round. Now, if you kept winning medals and not RPing for the next two weeks...

Ioudaia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Ioudaia wrote:*looks at results thread* Huh! The random factor must be bigger than I thought! Despite a few more days of RPing, my poor biathlete did no better in the pursuit than in the sprint.

Ah, well. I didn't expect they'd have much of a chance anyway...

You can have him meet Oswell. He got a silver medal on that event. He's jogging around the Olympic Village, training himself for the next biathlon event that might happen.

I changed my mind: yeah, Peneleos will bump into him.

Also, a few of my athletes have finished with all their events, and I was thinking of sending them into town to sightsee. Any interest in joining them? I'll have more time after today's cutoff for RPing.

Ioudaia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Praise the random number generator! One of my imaginary athletes won a medal! :p Now I need to check if the Ioudaian pantheon includes Fortune as a god.

So much for that RP post I was starting to write...

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Ioudaia wrote:Praise the random number generator! One of my imaginary athletes won a medal! :p Now I need to check if the Ioudaian pantheon includes Fortune as a god.

If you were still planning on running into Oswell, you can still leave it in.
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

XIII Olympic Winter Games
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby XIII Olympic Winter Games » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Reminder, probable late cut-off tomorrow. Try and post your roleplays before the normal deadline, but results may be late by like 2-3 hours than normal (or even less, or even more, depending on when I get home).

Ioudaia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Ioudaia wrote:Praise the random number generator! One of my imaginary athletes won a medal! :p Now I need to check if the Ioudaian pantheon includes Fortune as a god.

If you were still planning on running into Oswell, you can still leave it in.

Yup. The tone is gonna be a bit different now, and I'm thinking about that.

Amuaplye
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Ioudaia wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:You can have him meet Oswell. He got a silver medal on that event. He's jogging around the Olympic Village, training himself for the next biathlon event that might happen.

I changed my mind: yeah, Peneleos will bump into him.

Also, a few of my athletes have finished with all their events, and I was thinking of sending them into town to sightsee. Any interest in joining them? I'll have more time after today's cutoff for RPing.

Terrell Frazier could.
I'm a dude.

Ioudaia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Amuaplye wrote:
Ioudaia wrote:I changed my mind: yeah, Peneleos will bump into him.

Terrell Frazier could.

OK. Let me go back to writing that, because it's easier than the other RP. I'm going to start my part with my group meeting at the Prescott Athletic Village. If we think it'll be a long RP, we can collab it by TG or G-docs; up to you which.
Last edited by Ioudaia on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amuaplye
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 pm

Ioudaia wrote:
Amuaplye wrote:Terrell Frazier could.

OK. Let me go back to writing that, because it's easier than the other RP. I'm going to start my part with my group meeting at the Prescott Athletic Village. If we think it'll be a long RP, we can collab it by TG or G-docs; up to you which.

I'll go via telegram.
I'm a dude.

Ioudaia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Amuaplye wrote:
Ioudaia wrote:OK. Let me go back to writing that, because it's easier than the other RP. I'm going to start my part with my group meeting at the Prescott Athletic Village. If we think it'll be a long RP, we can collab it by TG or G-docs; up to you which.

I'll go via telegram.

'kay. I've got a starting post up, TG your part when ready. :)

Amuaplye
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Do collaboration posts add to my bonus?
I'm a dude.

Ioudaia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Amuaplye wrote:Do collaboration posts add to my bonus?

They should benefit everybody who writes them. If you're concerned, you can post the one we're doing, since I wrote the first post for it.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:22 pm

The cutoff for today has been confirmed to be in 40 minutes time.

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Just a quick reminder to anyone who isn't all that familiar with the ice hockey: I'm fully aware that the info box at the bottom of my latest RP said the final score was 5-4, yet the actual results page said it was 4-4 (with me winning 2-1 in the shootout). That is NOT a mistake, since the NHL, IIHF and Olympics tend to give a point to whichever side wins the shootout (and, indeed, I put the actual shootout score in brackets in the OT column). Granted I'm sure we all know this but I figured I might as well post this, just to be on the safe side.

Also, speaking of the men's ice hockey, what would happen if Kelssek beats Asraelia 2-0? As in, who'd be going through and who'd be going out? Because if that happened then it would mean that everybody in Group O would've won and lost by the same score.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:02 pm

The following new Olympic Records have been set:
DAY 2
Men's short track 1500m, quarterfinal heat 3:
Maurice Bellows (VKL) 2:10.816
Breaks the old OR of 2:10.997, set by Sefton Mohren of Darmen (DAR).

DAY 5
Men's short track 1000m, qualifying round heat 5:
Bert Heldorsson (KSV) 1:23.726
Breaks the old OR of 1:23.735, set by Fernando Loewe of Darmen (DAR).

Women's short track 500m, octofinal heat 3:
Kylee Fisher (AST) 42.965
Breaks the old OR of 42.996, set by Zivelia Morasita of Vilita and Turori (VIL).
Last edited by Liventia on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Thank you Liventia for the ORs, I'll put that on my to-do list to add to the thread once this boils over. I do remember some records being set in Prescott 12, but I can't remember exactly if I put them in as well. By the way, starting tomorrow onwards, there will be a stretch of five days where Ceni and Vekaiyu will be scorinating the events. Please make them feel welcome.

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:58 am

Electrum wrote:Thank you Liventia for the ORs, I'll put that on my to-do list to add to the thread once this boils over. I do remember some records being set in Prescott 12, but I can't remember exactly if I put them in as well.

My list of records are updated to Prescott 12, yes.
Слава Україні!

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Electrum wrote:Also, I realise for the slopestyle event today I used the wrong format: 2 runs instead of 3. I won't correct the results, but this will be the format moving forward for the halfpipe and other slopestyle events for both snowboard and free ski.

After today's three-run freeski halfpipe and slopestyle, going forward, will it go back to three runs for all?
Last edited by Liventia on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:21 pm

Liventia wrote:
Electrum wrote:Also, I realise for the slopestyle event today I used the wrong format: 2 runs instead of 3. I won't correct the results, but this will be the format moving forward for the halfpipe and other slopestyle events for both snowboard and free ski.

After today's three-run freeski halfpipe and slopestyle, going forward, will it go back to three runs for all?

2 runs for qualification for halfpipe/slopestyle/big air, 3 runs for the final.

edit: After reviewing the IRC as well as my post, I can see how my post could have been construed. I meant to say that we will be following the real life format from now on. Hope that clarifies it.
Last edited by Electrum on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amuaplye
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:07 pm

That's surprising.

This is the 3rd time that an athlete from my delegation that was over 90 didn't even crack the top 10.

At this point, I'm wondering if the chance is a bit too big of a factor.
I'm a dude.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports