NATION

PASSWORD

International Bowling Association League Sign Up

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Wileyshire
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

International Bowling Association League Sign Up

Postby Wileyshire » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:48 am

To sign your team up for the Inter-Regional, go here.

To host a region-based tournament to go to the end-of-year championship, continue below.

Original Dispatch Here

Hello, friends and foreigners! Let us all come together for some fun and good times!

Wileyshire's new International Bowling Association would like to invite your region to play!
We're organizing events all across Nation States to compete for bragging rights and international pride! If you would be interested in hosting or taking part in a tournament please TG us letting us know and we'll help you organize and we'll host the tournament!

What do you need to have to host a team? Simple!

A Team Name!

4 Players, with names!

That's it!

If you wish to start and host a region wide league or tournament, TG us and we'll make the rules and publicize it and the biggest thing we'll need a hand with is advertising for the tournament within your region! Get others to host teams! The winners get regional pride and a berth to the worldwide championship. If you can't get enough support in your region to host a tournament or league, that's okay! Closer to the end of the year I will host an inter-regional tournament which will be open to all non-participating regions! This inter-regional tournament will be the last tournament before the world championship.

How does bowling work on NationStates, you ask? Easy! We use a scorinator (xkorinate specifically) to simulate scores for games based on a predetermined skill of players. Said skill is determined by a random number generator. Skill will be based on a 0-100 scale with all players getting a random skill from 35-75 to prevent too horrible or too exceptional of bowlers. For players to get better or worse they need to play and in the off-season when it comes, players skill can change using a formula that isn't 100% decided, but will be public when the time comes and it is decided.

So, TG us today! Host a regional event! Host a team!
Good luck and Have fun!

If you'd like to work to host a regional event, please reply here or telegram us here at Wileyshire and we'll get in contact on how to plan and host an event. We hope to host events all around Nation States and to have an eventual world championship come the end of next year.

If you have any questions feel free to telegram me or ask below!

Thank you!

Edit: Where this was intended originally for people wanting to host events, I'll have it double as the sign ups for an inter-regional event. 2018 Inter-Regional 1 sign ups are also here.
Last edited by Wileyshire on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Slashska
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Slashska » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:04 am

Slashska Strikers would like to sign up the following 4 fabulous players:

Nolan St John
Mads Waller
Wayland Humphrey
Frans Herman

Genosvia
Civilian

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Genosvia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Genosvia sends it team "Strike Angles."

Team members:
Damein Sickle
Shelby Rogers
Matt Triblank
Kenobi Banks

Wileyshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wileyshire » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Last edited by Wileyshire on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Um how do you scorinate that your literally picking who wins
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Wileyshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wileyshire » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Northwest kalactin wrote:Um how do you scorinate that your literally picking who wins

The program I'm using is xkoranate. I select the players/teams and it simulates a game. You can get more information here.

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Wileyshire wrote:
Northwest kalactin wrote:Um how do you scorinate that your literally picking who wins

The program I'm using is xkoranate. I select the players/teams and it simulates a game. You can get more information here.

Well good include that in your info
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Wileyshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wileyshire » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Northwest kalactin wrote:
Wileyshire wrote:The program I'm using is xkoranate. I select the players/teams and it simulates a game. You can get more information here.

Well good include that in your info

The info I shared is from the forum's pinned threads, but also

How does bowling work on NationStates, you ask? Easy! We use a scorinator to simulate scores for games based on a predetermined skill of players. Said skill is determined by a random number generator. Skill will be based on a 0-100 scale with all players getting a random skill from 35-75 to prevent too horrible or too exceptional of bowlers. For players to get better or worse they need to play and in the off-season when it comes, players skill can change using a formula that isn't 100% decided, but will be public when the time comes and it is decided.
Last edited by Wileyshire on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:48 pm

Wileyshire wrote:
Northwest kalactin wrote:Well good include that in your info

How does bowling work on NationStates, you ask? Easy! We use a scorinator to simulate scores for games based on a predetermined skill of players. Said skill is determined by a random number generator. Skill will be based on a 0-100 scale with all players getting a random skill from 35-75 to prevent too horrible or too exceptional of bowlers. For players to get better or worse they need to play and in the off-season when it comes, players skill can change using a formula that isn't 100% decided, but will be public when the time comes and it is decided.

I mean like put that you will use xkorinate in the tournament info
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Radanax
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Radanax » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Random-number generation for a skill is stupid.
Do you even understand how Xkoranate works?
| Main nation of Razenthuria | Direct tgs for forum-related stuff to here |
| Occasionally used as number-puppets |
| Check out my factbooks |

Wileyshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wileyshire » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Northwest kalactin wrote:
Wileyshire wrote:

I mean like put that you will use xkorinate in the tournament info

I suppose I could do that.(Edit: Done) Not trying to be stubborn here, just thought you meant I wasn't including any kind of mentions as to how I was planning this. Sorry if I came off hostile.

Radanax wrote:Random-number generation for a skill is stupid.

The random number generation makes for skill differences in players. I've been using a scale of 0-100 and RNGing between 35-70/75 and it keeps to around an average skill of around 51 give or take and keeps the players close enough together that the difference in skill isn't too overwhelming in play. In addition, with 4 players per team it makes it where it is highly unlikely to have a team of 30's or a team of 70's, further toning down the possibility of an overwhelmingly strong team. I don't think that's too bad. Criticism accepted, though.
Last edited by Wileyshire on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Wileyshire wrote:
Northwest kalactin wrote:I mean like put that you will use xkorinate in the tournament info

I suppose I could do that.(Edit: Done) Not trying to be stubborn here, just thought you meant I wasn't including any kind of mentions as to how I was planning this. Sorry if I came off hostile.

Radanax wrote:Random-number generation for a skill is stupid.

The random number generation makes for skill differences in players. I've been using a scale of 0-100 and RNGing between 35-70/75 and it keeps to around an average skill of around 51 give or take and keeps the players close enough together that the difference in skill isn't too overwhelming in play. In addition, with 4 players per team it makes it where it is highly unlikely to have a team of 30's or a team of 70's, further toning down the possibility of an overwhelmingly strong team. I don't think that's too bad. Criticism accepted, though.

I actually wasn't aware that xkoranate had a bowling option but it is indeed built into xkoranate. Generally speaking, its a good idea to provide details about how a tournament is run because that shows that you actually have some idea what you're doing (and I can see you've put more thought into this than most who start signup threads without any sports RP experience whatsoever). I've got a few suggestions for you, based in part on my experience around here which you're welcome to adopt or ignore as you see fit:

Regarding the random skill generation, I'd suggest either adopting the Olympic method instead (spoilered under "outdated information" at this link) where you require everybody to have a skill average of 50 or lower or you just adopt the method I used for college baseball (have everybody rank their bowlers 1-4 and maybe assign skills of 75/60/45/30 or 80/60/40/20 or 65/55/45/35 or some other combination of 4 skills). Xkoranate (and every other scorinator) just normalizes the skill values anyway so your specific scale doesn't matter (but setting a max skill that is much higher than anybody's skill value can lead to bizarre results, depending on the xkoranate option).

In terms of adjusting the skill later, the standard way of doing that is RP bonus where the host adds a bonus to the skill rating of your bowlers if you RP (the amount depending on the quality of the RP, in the subjective opinion of the host). For an event where there's no past RP to base the initial skill values off of, typically RP bonus should be quite large relative to the skill values (if any) because you'd realistically want the active nations to dominate the competition since they're the ones that are actually putting in effort (and its the active RPers who are the reason why other people want to actively participate in NS Sports and the reason why hosts want to continue hosting).
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Wileyshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wileyshire » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Free Republics wrote:
Wileyshire wrote:

I actually wasn't aware that xkoranate had a bowling option but it is indeed built into xkoranate. Generally speaking, its a good idea to provide details about how a tournament is run because that shows that you actually have some idea what you're doing (and I can see you've put more thought into this than most who start signup threads without any sports RP experience whatsoever). I've got a few suggestions for you, based in part on my experience around here which you're welcome to adopt or ignore as you see fit:

Regarding the random skill generation, I'd suggest either adopting the Olympic method instead (spoilered under "outdated information" at this link) where you require everybody to have a skill average of 50 or lower or you just adopt the method I used for college baseball (have everybody rank their bowlers 1-4 and maybe assign skills of 75/60/45/30 or 80/60/40/20 or 65/55/45/35 or some other combination of 4 skills). Xkoranate (and every other scorinator) just normalizes the skill values anyway so your specific scale doesn't matter (but setting a max skill that is much higher than anybody's skill value can lead to bizarre results, depending on the xkoranate option).

In terms of adjusting the skill later, the standard way of doing that is RP bonus where the host adds a bonus to the skill rating of your bowlers if you RP (the amount depending on the quality of the RP, in the subjective opinion of the host). For an event where there's no past RP to base the initial skill values off of, typically RP bonus should be quite large relative to the skill values (if any) because you'd realistically want the active nations to dominate the competition since they're the ones that are actually putting in effort (and its the active RPers who are the reason why other people want to actively participate in NS Sports and the reason why hosts want to continue hosting).

I appreciate the ideas and help. I might adopt one of the other skill ideas for the starting skill(I'll post about it if I do), and I will probably use the RP bonus a bit, because having it explained that way made a lot of sense to me. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't that different when I read about it elsewhere, but it didn't seem as important or sensible before being explained by you.) Thank you!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports