NATION

PASSWORD

Global Cup of Soccer 2 Signup Thread (CLOSED)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pays den haut
Envoy

Founded: Jun 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pays den haut » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 pm

In!

Crown-Alliance
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Crown-Alliance » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 am

In !

Exitsignia
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Exitsignia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Code: Select all
10 PRINT "WE SIGN UP"; PRINT
20 END
Puppet of I have no reason to reveal who I'm a puppet of, yet.
A nationlike entity consisting of sentient EXIT signs and other related emergency lighting, such as fire alarms, standalone emergency lights, and floodlamps. Ruled by King EXIT I and his wife, Queen EXITIA.

Portlandistan
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Portlandistan Global Cup of Soccer 2 Host Bid

Postby Portlandistan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Portlandistani signup for Global Cup of Soccer 2
Portlandistan Global Cup of Soccer 2 Host Bid
The user behind Portlandistan is a native Oregonian now living in the great state of Washington (Go Eagles!), and has successfully hosted CEdP 3 (as 98X) and AOCAF 52 (as 95X).

Scorinator, Ranks, and RP Bonus
We propose using xkoranate 0.3.3, SQIS settings, multiplicative style modifiers between +5/-5, with no home advantage. A third-party scorinator would be found for any Portlandistani games after the Group Stage.

Current GCoS ranks will be used along with an unpublished mechanism to discourage rankcoasting. RP Bonus will be cumulatively added, based on text-based quality vs. quantity. Posting a roster in time for the matchday one cutoff may give one an advantage later on (keep reading!). RPs related to the tournament and/or its RP characters may receive a higher bonus than RPs with no clear linkage to the competition.

Tournament Specifics
Format
Signups would be expected to RP that they fielded players every match.

We propose a single round-robin group stage (exact number of group stage games based on number of signups, however each signup would play at least 3 group stage games); 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. The signups with the best records advance to the single-elimination knockout rounds. A third-place match will be played.

A Round of 16 will be held with a minimum of 32 signups. Otherwise, playoff knockout rounds will begin with the Quarterfinals (Round of 8).

Knockout Round Seeding/Tiebreakers
We propose standard xkoranate rules with minor modifications:
1. Group placing;
2. Points;
3. Paperwork submitted in a timely fashion (OOC: Was a roster posted before the MD 1 Cutoff?);
4. Goal difference;
5. Goals for;
6. Head-to-head points;
7. Head-to-head goal difference;
8. Head-to-head goals for;
9. Video conference call with one representative from each signup for a best-of-one Rock-Paper-Scissors (OOC: total RP bonus).

Matchdays/Cutoff
To allow generous time for participation, matchdays will be scheduled every other RL day; i.e., Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Cutoff would occur between 3-6 PM Pacific Time (currently GMT -8), which is also 23:00-02:00 UTC. Please note this user moves to Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -7) on March 12, 2017, which will also move cutoff time should the competition continue.
Should circumstances beyond our control take place, the cutoff time would be announced and take place as needed.

Venues
The entire tournament would take place in Portlandistan. (OOC: a parody of Portland, Oregon, and the surrounding area.)

Portlandistan thanks you in advance for your consideration and appreciates any questions.
Contact Information
Feel free to contact the user behind Portlandistan directly via TG, or drop by the #nssport IRC room on esper.net where the user is a regular. (Please note: The latter is an offsite venue where several NS Sports regulars have self-organized under Esper's separate Terms of Service and have a separate channel operator structure. Also note when someone connects to IRC their IP address and/or Hostname may appear publicly unless they're using a remote client, such as IRC Cloud, or an IRC bouncer.)
Q: What's the difference between Portlandistan and poverty?
A: You can get used to living in poverty!

Global Cup of Soccer
Secretary

Founded: Aug 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Global Cup of Soccer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Since we now have a host bid, I'm going to set the deadline for additional host bids at cutoff on Matchday 18 of World Cup 77 Qualifying (around 50 hours or so after the time of this post). I will attempt to get the signups updated tonight.

Furbish Islands wrote:I'd like to join.
Also, how do you host a bid?

Basically, you write out a bid similar to the one Portlandistan posted. The important details are all of the OOC ones (scorinator, RP bonus, ranks, format, etc.). Things like stadiums and logos are extras. Previous NS Sports hosting experience (if any) is typically mentioned in bids as well (generally speaking, its highly recommended to actively participate in something in NS Sports before you try to bid but its technically not a requirement).
OOCly a soccer tournament primarily for teams that didn't enter the current edition of World Cup Qualifying for whatever reason, the NS equivalent of the ConIFA World Football Cup.

ICly a tournament to crown the "Greatest" national soccer team in the multiverse sponsored by The O'Reilly Organization from the Federation of Free Republics.

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Portlandistan wrote:Signups would be expected to RP that they fielded players every match.

What does this mean? We can't RP that we didn't send a team to a certain match? Or that we can't RP that we sent non-players to play in a match? (But wouldn't they be players, then, since they played, even if they weren't players before?) Or that we have to RP every Matchday? Or something else?
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Global Cup of Soccer
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Global Cup of Soccer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Signups are now updated. In case anybody is wondering, they remain open. There's also approximately 24 hours remaining to submit host bids.
Last edited by Global Cup of Soccer on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOCly a soccer tournament primarily for teams that didn't enter the current edition of World Cup Qualifying for whatever reason, the NS equivalent of the ConIFA World Football Cup.

ICly a tournament to crown the "Greatest" national soccer team in the multiverse sponsored by The O'Reilly Organization from the Federation of Free Republics.

Juvencus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Juvencus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:50 pm

I forgot to add that Kyrgustan and Tveidalen are puppets of mine.
The Holy Empire of Juvencus
Diverse yet united
Demonym: Juven Trigram: JUE Capital: Pomena
Sonnel is my home<3

Portlandistan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

GCoS 2 Host Bid Questions/Responses

Postby Portlandistan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:23 am

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:
Portlandistan wrote:Signups would be expected to RP that they fielded players every match.

What does this mean? We can't RP that we didn't send a team to a certain match?
My intent is to avoid situations where someone says something like 'I nuked my own nation and everyone died' midway through the competition. Possible in RL, yes, but it doesn't make for a good NS tournament.
Exitsignia wrote:
Code: Select all
10 PRINT "WE SIGN UP"; PRINT
20 END
Well, I could use Pazhugen if everyone preferred. :roll:

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 am

Furby Island Global Cup of Soccer Host Bid

Scorinator and bonuses:
XKoranate 0.3.3 will be used for the tournament. The formula will be SQIS without home team advantage. The skill modifiers will be between 0 and 100, while the style modifiers will be between 5 and -5.

RP bonuses will be used, and so are the current GCoS rankings.

Format
The tournament will start off with groups. The amount of groups and teams in the groups depends on the amount of people that signed up. In the group round, it will be a round robin with 2 legs if there's 3 teams, and 1 leg if there's 4. The teams in each group will be chosen randomly. For the group rounds, teams will receive 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, and none for a loss. If there's a tie, then it will be broken by:
  1. Points
  2. Goals Difference
  3. Goals For
  4. Head-to Head Points
  5. Head-to-Head Goals Difference
  6. Head-to-Head Goals For
  7. In the unlikely event that all of the above are tied, a coin will be flipped.

The top 1 or 2 teams(depending on the amount) teams will move on to the playoffs. The positions are selected randomly. Ties will be disabled for the playoffs.

Matchdays
Matchdays will be everyday. During the groups, half the teams will play each day. The same will happen during that quarterfinals and round of 16(if there is one). The semifinals will happen 2 days after the quarterfinals. Both round will be on the same day. The bronze medal game will happen on the next day, and the gold medal after that.

All matches will be on 3:00 pm EST(UTC-5:00)*

*Please keep in mind that it will change to UTC-4:00 on the 12th

Venues
There are many venues that will be built in the outskirts of Furby City for the game.

Final Remarks
Thank you in advance for considering this bid.

Also, if you have any questions, feel free to telegram me.
Last edited by Furbish Islands on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ðe United Provinces and Territories of Ðe Furbiſh Iſlands
Sic semper tyrannis!
Population: 283.503.325
GDP: $10,095 trillion
Currency: Furbish Guilder, ƒ1 = $1,9655
Monarch: Willem van Orange-Nassau
Stadtholder: Adjoa Iſamaan
Prime Minister: Arthur Trudeau

A social liberal Pacific island paradise, formerly a
Dutch, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish colony.
Computer science major and stereotypical nerd.
Russian, born in Israel, currently in
Massachusetts, the best state in the US.

This country is mostly based on my RL beliefs.
FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Piranhastan
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Piranhastan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:18 am

I'd like to join.

I am a puppet of Furbish Islands
Puppet of Furbish Islands

Northern Furby Republic
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Furby Republic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:19 am

I'd like to join.

I am a puppet fo Furbish Islands

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:23 am

Piranhastan wrote:I'd like to join.

Northern Furby Republic wrote:I'd like to join.

Yes, these are my puppets.
Sic semper tyrannis!

FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Why two points for a win instead of three like usual? No other soccer competition on NS uses two points for a win other than Nordernious's domestic league and maybe a couple others. And I don't even believe Nordernious scorinates a domestic league, though he (aka Saintland and Free Republics) has RPed about it existing.

Also, isn't EST changing to UTC-4 on the 12th, not UTC-6? Assuming you live in the Northern Hemisphere and therefore are on EST right now, that is.
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

New Scaiva and Horshenwurst
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New Scaiva and Horshenwurst » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Mercredi wrote:Ye

Edit: Preconfirming the Danes and Germans of NS&H

That'd be me, thank you very much.
Danes & Germans inhabit this realm.

Novapax, that's the stuff.

Global Cup of Soccer
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Global Cup of Soccer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Signups are updated and will remain open during the host vote.

As World Cup 77 Qualifying has now ended and as we have 2 host bids, host bidding for Global Cup of Soccer 2 is now closed. The options are as follows:

1) Accept the host bid from Portlandistan
2) Accept the host bid from Furbish Islands
3) Reject both host bids and reopen bidding
4) Officially Abstain

Every OOC user who is signed up for the Global Cup of Soccer as of the time of this post and is not bidding for the tournament is eligible to cast 1 vote for a single option. Votes should be telegrammed to Global Cup of Soccer by 11 PM UTC-5 (Eastern Time in North America) on Thursday March 2nd. This deadline is approximately 5 days after the time of this post. Votes that are telegrammed to any other nation or sent through any other method will not be counted.
Last edited by Global Cup of Soccer on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Why two points for a win instead of three like usual? No other soccer competition on NS uses two points for a win other than Nordernious's domestic league and maybe a couple others. And I don't even believe Nordernious scorinates a domestic league, though he (aka Saintland and Free Republics) has RPed about it existing.

Also, isn't EST changing to UTC-4 on the 12th, not UTC-6? Assuming you live in the Northern Hemisphere and therefore are on EST right now, that is.

Oh sorry. I got the math wrong. I'll change it
Sic semper tyrannis!

Global Cup of Soccer
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Global Cup of Soccer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:48 am

As one host bid has now received an absolute majority of votes from eligible voters, I can now announce the results of the host vote:

Portlandistan - 12
Furbish Islands - 2
Reopen Host Bids - 0
Official Abstentions - 0

Therefore, with 12 out of 22 possible votes, Portlandistan has won the host vote for the 2nd Global Cup of Soccer. I now turn over control over timing and numbers to the host.

Portlandistan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Global Cup of Soccer 2 Announcement

Postby Portlandistan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 am

Thank you everyone!

A tournament thread will be up by Saturday Night, Pacific Time.

Also, as we currently have 30 signups, I'll leave signups open to see if we get to 32 (without myself adding two of my own puppets).

LukakuLaw
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby LukakuLaw » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:36 am

If you need another nation. We will gladly bring our talents to the Global Cup!

Kecrazia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kecrazia » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 am

declares intention to participate

Piranhastan
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Piranhastan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Well now we have 32

EDIT: Oops, I meant to post it on my main account. But meh
Last edited by Piranhastan on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purple Rabbits
Secretary

Founded: Mar 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Purple Rabbits » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:39 pm

You have a round number but would you accept more.
  • Handball World Cup XVI - 3rd Place
  • International Basketball Championships 20

International Film Awards (IFA)

Portlandistan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Global Cup of Soccer 2 Signups Closed

Postby Portlandistan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Piranhastan wrote:Well now we have 32

EDIT: Oops, I meant to post it on my main account. But meh
That's fine. It happens.

With 32 participants, signups are now closed.

IC thread now open! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=404073
Purple Rabbits wrote:You have a round number but would you accept more.
Edit: While checking signups, Sarrbia has CTE'd, so you're in!
Original Response: I'm afraid I'll need to say sorry there were two slots available that have since been taken. I'll make an exception if you are a unique user and someone else wishes to vacate a spot currently held by a puppet.
Last edited by Portlandistan on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports