NATION

PASSWORD

Noctur Cup I [Everything Thread]

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Nui-ta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Noctur Cup I [Everything Thread]

Postby Nui-ta » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:39 am

Please, only post here if you are signed up for the Noctur Cup, or if you are a moderator performing moderation duties. If you are new to the concept of sports RPing, read this wonderful guide. Thank you.

The Monarchy of Nui-ta is proud to play host to all participating nations of Noctur for the first ever Noctur Cup.

Football fever engulfs the nation, as the nations of the region come together to settle their differences on the humble field of sport, rather than the bloody venue of war. Many men and women will come together to play: but only one team of men, and one team of women, can raise the coveted Noctur Cup.

Some nations fight for honor. Some for the defense of their pride. Some to settle old rivalries, and some, from the more fascistic nations of the world, to keep their heads attached to their shoulders by winning something to take back to their esteemed leaders. One question remains: Who will reign supreme?

• Segland
  • Nui-ta
  • Hadin
  • Poldania
  • Varisea
  • Radiatia
  • The Arthurian Isles
  • Higgins and Brown
  • Hralia
  • Algrabad
  • Detectatia
  • Conpatria

Groups

Group A (male teams only)
Hralia
Algrabad
The Arthurian Isles
Segland

(Venue: Tarhanaji Park, Rahku City)

Group B (male teams only)
Nui-ta
Radiatia
Detectatia
Conpatria

(Venue: Nihja Ram'hani Stadium, Foroga City)

Group C (male teams only)
Poldania
Hadin
Varisea
Higgins and Brown

(Venue: Zahim Farahim Stadium, Kaurizil)

Group D (female teams only)
Varisea
Algrabad
Hralia
Radiatia

(Venue: Mal'ta Field, Nepos)

Group E (female teams only)
Conpatria
(empty - Hadin has refused to send a female team)
Segland
Higgins and Brown

(Venue: Liberitas Park, Alin)

Group F (female teams only)
Nui-ta
Poldania
Arthuria
Detectatia

(Venue: Panorama Center, Joghba)

Format
MD1: 1x4, 2x3
MD2: 1x3, 2x4
MD3: 1x2, 3x4
Elimination: Bottom of each group goes home, top of each group automatically stays. All but lowest performing across groups in second-place stays. Lowest performing second-placer and all third-place groups move to qualifier.
Qualifier 1: A3 x B3, C3 vs lowest scoring of (A2/B2/C2). D3 x E3, F3 vs lowest scoring of (D2, E2, F2). Winners advance. Losers go to second qualifier.
Qualifier 2: Losing teams from each match play each other, winners advance, losers go home. 8 teams left, draw lots.
MD4: 1x2, 3x4, 5x6, 7x8
MD5: 8x1, 2x7, 3x6, 4x5
Bottom four go home. Draw lots.
QF: 1x4, 2x3
3P: Loses from QF
Final: Winners from QF.

Schedule
Please note, the schedule is tentative and is subject to change, due to outside factors. Although I will try to be as on-time as possible, I cannot guarantee complete fidelity. Scorination typically occurs at 21-2300 at night, CST.
MD1: August 25th (play at scheduled group venues)
MD2: August 30th (play at scheduled group venues)
MD3: September 4th (play at scheduled group venues)
Qualifiers: September 12th (Men's qualifier play at Rahim Farahim Stadium, Kaurizil, Women's Qualifier play at Nijha Ram'hani Stadium, Foroga City) (Moved half of these matches from September 8th).

MD4: September 30th (men's matches play at Liberitas Park, Alin, women's matches play at Mal'ta Field, Nepos)
MD5: October 4th (men's matches play at Liberitas Park, Alin, women's matches play at Mal'ta Field, Nepos)
QF: October 8th (men's matches play at Liberitas Park, Alin, women's matches play at Mal'ta Field, Nepos)
3P and Final: October 10th (both finals play at Tarhanaji Park, Rahku City, 3P determiners play at Nijha Ram'hani Stadium, Foroga City)

Relative Links and Other Tidbits
  • OOC thread - for questions, answers, and candid discussion about the events of the Cup.

When you post your rosters/kits/whatever else, please add the following. You may select yes/no, or detail more specific requirements (like needing a TG confirmation).

Code: Select all
[b]My opponent, if they RP first, may do the following:[/b]
[b]Choose my goalscorers[/b]: Yes/No
[b]Godmod scoring events[/b]: Yes/No
[b]Injuries to my players[/b]: Yes/No
[b]Godmod injuries to my players[/b]: Yes/No
[b]Hand out yellow cards to my players[/b]: Yes/No
[b]Hand out red cards to my players[/b]: Yes/No
[b]Godmod other events[/b]: Yes/No
[b]Style Modifier[/b]: Select anything from -5 to +5, with -5 being an extremely defensive play style, +5 being an extremely offensive playstyle, and 0 being a play style that is neither particularly offensive nor particularly defensive --- this is for the scorinator
Last edited by Nui-ta on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:01 am, edited 15 times in total.
Someone cares? Okay then. Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

INFP-T personality, quite heavy on the I,P, and T.

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:40 am

Welcome to Scenic Nui-ta!

General Information

A tropical state with warm temperatures all year round, Nui-ta is and remains one of Noctur's "must-see" tourist destinations. As the nation climbs ever upward into the echelons of a developed, first-world nation, it has maintained a fierce culture and sovereign spirit which put to shame any cries of it being a puppet state of larger nations in the free bloc.

Come to Nui-ta for the Noctur Cup, and stick around a while for the unique offerings that the country has to offer. A major food-producing nation, Nui-ta is one of the culinary capitals of the world, boasting spicy cuisine that predominantly consists of seafood, pork, beef, and vegetables. As an almost entirely island nation, it boasts incredible shores and famed beaches, particularly for those lucky enough to be visiting the Ocini (pronounced Auk-ni) venue. The nation has developed intensely on an industrial level, though, as well as a military level and boasts technological marvels like the Foroga City Chemical Plant in the eastern portion of the country, or San Talsankir Military Base near Rahku City: one of the oldest, as well as the only military establishment in Nui-ta currently open to foreigners for semi-public viewing (boasting a nice museum about the military history of the nation known for its soldiering spirit).

Every venue has something unique to see about Nui-ta which makes the country great. Check out information relevant to your particular venue for what you'll be enjoying!

When Travelling In Nui-ta...

For foreigners visiting the nation during the Noctur Cup, certain amenities have been made available to ensure that you get the most enjoyment out of your experiences in Nui-ta while you're in the country. No matter what nation you're from, Radiatia, Poldania, and even Segland and Hadin, the authorities at the Noctur Cup wish you a pleasant stay and have taken every conceivable step to ensure your sporting visit is a wonderful one!

Please keep in mind some nice rules that ensure public safety, and a safer Nui-ta.

• Nui-tans tend to value conservative dress; yes, we know it's hot here, but modesty is prized. You are best off wearing long, flowing, light garments which are light in color and will allow your skin to breathe. Bikinis, swim shorts, and tube-tops are best left to the beach. Public nudity is illegal, and carries a hefty fine.
  • The further inland you go (the most in-land venues are Rahku City and Kaurizil, followed by Foroga City), the hotter the food gets. Please drink plenty of water and be prepared for a shock to the taste-buds. Alternately, order your food mild (Chak'nai).
  • The Melodian language is considered relatively easy in Noctur, when compared to more complex languages of the region like Radiatian or Seschespek. Phrase-books are easy to come by. Alternately, if you have the money, consider hiring a personal guide through a travel venue, who will be well-prepared to translate for you and guide you around.
  • In the western venues of Nui-ta (Alin and Nepos), Latin is an acceptable alternate language. This may be especially useful to any Hadinian visitors.
  • Nearly all the venues are heavily urban, meaning if all else fails, someone probably speaks English.
  • Much of Nui-ta is accessible via electric railway. If you wish to travel between states and cities, and don't have your own car available, this is one of the best ways to travel.
  • This is what a police officer looks like. They are more than happy to help you. Anyone else in uniform is likely either a soldier or a school-child, and best left alone.
  • It is illegal to carry fire-arms in Nui-ta without a permit and registration. Most venues won't allow weapons at all on the premises. To carry a fire-arm or other weapon illegally is a felony charge in Nui-ta and could see you facing legal punishment.

Individual Venues

Rahku City - Tarhanaji Park
The capital of Nui-ta: Rahku City is home to almost 1.5 million people. As Nui-ta's largest metropolitan area, it has a little bit of everything for everyone. People from all over the country and the world pass through Rahku City to engage in trade and business, and the exchange of ideas and cultures that comes along with it has made the city the most globalized in Nui-ta. Rahku City was one of the first cities to see the wave of football popularity that has now washed through the nation, when the University of Rahku's football team had a strong novice showing at the Mineral Conference.

As befits anything in Rahku City, the stadium is the largest in the country, boasting a capacity of 90,000.

Foroga City - Nihja Ram'hani Stadium
Foroga City may not have the population and international renown that Rahku City boasts, but it makes up for these shortages by being the industrial heart of Nui-ta. Home to one of Nui-ta's main arms suppliers, Reshial Industries, Foroga City sits in the state of Yevzar, which pioneers much of Nui-ta's manufacturing, chemical, and power-related advances. If there's a technological idea you can dream of, Foroga City probably has someone working on it.

Although it only boasts 60,000 seats, Foroga City's status as Nui-ta's industrial giant is evidenced clearly by one look at Nihja Ram'hani. From the intricacies of the outside structure, to the sleek interior and high-tech monitors, this is a venue that, like the rest of the city, will leave you thoroughly impressed.

Kaurizil - Zahim Farahim Stadium
Like Rahku and Foroga, Kaurizil also competes with the capital in a particular field. While Foroga and Rahku compete on the level of industry, Kaurizil instead competes with Rahku for economics. A well-studied Kaurizilite will tell you quite plainly that it is very true that Rahku City generates much of the foreign trade into the economy: but when it comes to the domestic purse, big-name investors, and all-around wealth, Kaurizil outranks its main rival. One of the oldest cities in Nui-ta, Kaurizil also outdoes the rest of Nui-tan in regards to history, boasting major historical landmarks such as the Kaurizil Catacombs, and sits as the seat of power from which the Nui-tan Emperor rules over the country.

The historical home of the nobility, Kaurizil has always been the seat of the elite. Although many of Nui-ta's sporting will likely be present, you can still sit among them, though, with the Zahim Farahim stadium's modest capacity of 35,000.

Nepos - Mal'ta Field
Ever been to Nepos? If you haven't, you should. Located in Nui-ta's number one tourist destination, the state capital of Ocini is where the rest of Noctur goes to have a long relaxing lie on a beach --- and if you go to Nepos, you can do so too, between games. Outside of a few privately owned stretches, much of Nepos's coastline is for public use, and subject to free admission by city law. The city also hosts a major international airport, several highly-rated hotels, and some of Nui-ta's freshest seafood.

Mal'ta Field, Nepos's major football stadium, hosts an impressive 55,000 capacity. It's also right by the marina, if you feel like having a bite or renting a boat.

Alin - Liberitas Park
Alin is still an up-and-coming city, known mainly for more recent historical achievements. The city was among the most devastated during the Partition, passing hands from colonial Hadin to sovereign Nui-ta. Since them, it has become a symbol of rebirth in western Nui-ta. Alin has become one of the west's major metropolitan hubs, one of the top exporters of Nui-tan foodstuffs, and is also the home of outgoing Prime Minister Paolo Medici. The culture in Alin is uniquely Alinian, with the dual Hadinian and Nui-tan heritage of the city blending the best of both worlds together at every turn.

Liberitas Park boasts a nice 60,000 capacity, and an open roof amidst one of Nui-ta's most temperate regions.

Joghba - Panorama Center
Joghba: the only venue of the Noctur Cup to be located on mainland Terra Occidens. Located in southern New Zanzes, the city of Joghba sprung up from an abandoned portion of the once-mighty Zanzeanic civilization. Plateaus and a rocky landscape unknown to the main island of Nui-ta, Joghba is a blast to the past for a nation so influenced by the ancient kingdom, juxtaposed by a future that is framed by Nui-tan progress. Explore the vast hills, mountains, and ruins that surround the city.

Just don't forget to cheer on your favorite team at the brand new Panorama Center. With a capacity of 75,000 audience members, you'll hopefully have many fellow fans to join you.
Last edited by Nui-ta on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:40 am

Front-Facing View

Rear-Facing View

Front-Facing View (Alternate Kit)

Rear-Facing View (Alternate Kit)

In Nui-tan tradition, men are typically marked with tattoos at their coming of age on the right arm. To be marked on the left as a man is considered a sign of effeminacy. The right sleeve of the men's uniform is similarly marked with the country's name in keeping with this old tradition.

Noctur Cup I Roster
Nui-tan National Men's Football Team: Kosi'tal Kotala Jandal Nui-tania

Manager: Rushak Rubanni
Formation: 4-4-2
Bolded names are starting players.

PositionNameAgeAffiliation
GoalkeeperInayat Brass25New Zanzes
GoalkeeperSuran Raagi24Hephazi
GoalkeeperDavin Lacovara26Alinia
Left-BackAlvaro Zorzi28Alinia
Left-BackKorous Kazahk25Ocini
Center-BackDev Karan23Mercuria
Center-BackHariem Wasiir25Yevzar
Right-BackAbhidal Chadri20Rahku State
Right-BackJavad Patki23Tuvia
Defensive Mid-fielderArhai Shaam24Tuvia
Defensive Mid-fielderSabazio Ordani26Kavia
Defensive Mid-fielderTarso Calezi22Alinia
Left Mid-fieldAfrahizad Veisi22Rahku State
Left-Mid-fieldMaalik Kolani24Ocini
Center Mid-fieldKipras Talevicius21Hephazi
Center Mid-fieldAiridas Veigh19Hephazi
Right Mid-fieldAkif Samal27New Zanzes
Right Mid-fieldBalir Kolhi24Mercuria
Attacking Mid-fielderRamir Sa'firi29Sangaur
Attacking Mid-fielderHanlal a-Bagiri24Sangaur
Attacking Mid-fielderBihan Pistahaz21Yevzar
Center-FieldSamir ji-Mahana22Sangaur
Center-FieldKalim i-Talamir24Sangaur
Center-FieldRahman Kanjawala28Rahku State
Second-StrikerRiyal Maynaka26Rahku State
Second-StrikerArda Nikdoman25Yevzar
Second-StrikerVitomir Usatov20Alinia

Front-Facing View

Rear-Facing View

Front-Facing View (Alternate Kit)

Rear-Facing View (Alternate View)

In Nui-tan tradition, women are typically marked with tattoos at their coming of age on the left arm. To be marked on the right as a woman is considered unbecoming. The left sleeve of the women's uniform is similarly marked with the country's name in keeping with this old tradition.

Noctur Cup I Roster
Nui-tan National Women's Football Team: Kosi'tal Kotala Judal Nui-tania

Manager: Yevara Rudavina
Formation: 4-4-2

GoalkeeperSveta Manakina22Alinia
GoalkeeperSofia Farre23Hephazi
GoalkeeperMaya Letova26Alinia
Left-BackForsya Ulukinyana28Alinia
Left-BackShatana Virkal24Rahku State
Center-BackJaya a-Rao23Sangaur
Center-BackKailasa Rai28Yevzar
Right-BackLalita ri-Tripatha27Sangaur
Right-BackRomina Roselli23Kavia
Defensive Mid-fielderLata Parsa24Kavia
Defensive Mid-fielderHanita Dass26Tuvia
Defensive Mid-fielderCarmela Colavita21Alinia
Left Mid-fieldTanya Miral22Rahku State
Left-Mid-fieldTalia Valel24Ocini
Center Mid-fieldAva Pilali21Ocini
Center Mid-fieldAnya Thakara25Hephazi
Right Mid-fieldShala Kabira27Mercuria
Right Mid-fieldTuhaila Haquil18New Zanzes
Attacking Mid-fielderSanada Ziala29New Zanzes
Attacking Mid-fielderAmara Kovali24New Zanzes
Attacking Mid-fielderNina Darpasi21Hephazi
Center-FieldSharina dal-Marasi22Sangaur
Center-FieldSharina ri-Tripatha18Sangaur
Center-FieldBertana a-Malarsi28Sangaur
Second-StrikerRoberta Petrone27Alinia
Second-StrikerLicia Zambrano20Alinia
Second-StrikerNastyana Borakina27Alinia

My opponent, if they RP first, may do the following:
Choose my goalscorers: Yes
Godmod scoring events: Yes
Injuries to my players: TG first
Godmod injuries to my players: Again, TG.
Hand out yellow cards to my players: Up to 3 per match.
Hand out red cards to my players: One per match; TG me beforehand as a precaution.
Godmod other events: TG for confirmation.
Style Modifier: +3.5
Last edited by Nui-ta on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Higgins and Brown
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

RP Permissions and Kits - Higgins & Brown

Postby Higgins and Brown » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Choose my goalscorers: Yes - though I would suggest that the two centre-forwards and the two wingers/attacking midfielders will be scoring almost all of the goals.
Injuries to my players: Yes, but not Burt Altist on the Men's team, as he is a 'saint'.
Godmod injuries to my players: TG pleases
Hand out yellow cards to my players: Yes
Hand out red cards to my players: Yes, but not Burt Altist on the Men's team, as he is a 'saint'. Also please not my GK.
Godmod other events: Yes
Style Modifier: +4 for the men, +1 for the women.

ImageImage
Higgins & Brown
Home + Away Kit
(Green Shorts, Brown Socks) (Brown Shorts, White Socks)

Higgins & Brown Men's Team
Nickname: The Maraglás ("Sea of Green")
Manager - Jorj Jóns (formerly manager of Vklarrbeg Lions)
Captain - Rógo Mar, Centre Mid (#6)
Home Stadium - Newrena, Newport / Kemptra Park, Vklarrbeg
Preferred Formation - 3-1-3-1-2 (what? well, its a fancy 4-4-2)
National League - Super League
National League Champions - Mendla Town (winners of the 173 Tournament. First post-war tournament started in March 177)

'Tis a brave manager that is confident of keeping a clean sheet against Higgins & Brown. (Come on Scorinator...) Here's a team doesn't need help at the front, though few can name a time when they were confident at the back. The fearsome foursome of Yorn, Celsi, Ráns and Brucel lead the team from the front...

Strikers
#9/#10: Yorn (27 years old, Noelstown Republicans) and Celsi (28, Noelstown Republicans) are the Super League's most prolific striking partnership (or at least they are expected to be, when the Super League comes back from hiatus - for now they have been playing in supercharged friendlies). Yorn is a native of Noelstown-Newkiltra, the city that plays host to the fiercest football rivalry in the country. Celsi, however, is the only Brownite of the four, originally from Riverla, but signed for the Republicans shortly before the outbreak of war. The two are in their prime as individuals and as a pair, who read and feed off each other with ease. While both of them are able to keep the partnership up, they can ward off any rivals for their positions, even if they are individually better strikers.

Substitutes: #19: Brian Steeling, #20: Corey Malpas

Wingers/Attacking Midfielders
#7: On the right wing, Ken Brucel is a bit of a celebrity, and not a bad footballer either. His straggly brown beard and scruffy long hair are often all his opponents will see before they realise he's past them. The Boatmen may not be a tour de force in the Super League, but Brucel, a local boy, is by far their shiniest star. His failings on the pitch are ones of technique, temper, and tackles that could poke your eye out. But he can curl in a cross like it was gravitating around a planet.

#11: But nought compares to Rían Ráns. Possibly the most controversial player in the team, he is the first genuinely left-footed left winger to be thought good enough for the national team in years - but he's rarely playing in that position! His trusty wing-back partner (also from HMFC Newkiltra) picks up the slack when Ráns goes wandering into the middle of the opponents' half. Sometimes it causes chaos for their centre-backs, sometimes he does some magic with the ball, and sometimes it leaves a whole wide open in his own team's formation for a counter-attack to unfold. Plus, when he does have the ball, he isn't the best sharer. Luckily, there is mutual respect between him and Brucel. But every football fan in Higgins & Brown knows of the Noelstown-Newkiltra animosity. A struggle that is as much about politics as it is sport, one city's intra-rivalry has the capacity to divide its national stars.

Substitutes: #17: Jon Soames, #21: Steven Barmby

Centre Midfield
#6: Captaining the team from behind this band of lunatic is Rógo Mar. A charismatic young man, and also one who you think is going to punch you any minute now, he's just about keeping order in the team. The Noctur Cup will be his first competitive outing as national captain, at the age of 26. Domestically, he used to play for Athboi Naval before transferring to the Cosmopolitans, based in Michaelstown. Don't let that club's name fool you though, there's nothing cosmopolitan about his trademark strategic fouls. Pundits expect him to be on better behaviour than usual, now that he's wearing the armband. The legs of the team in their own half.

#8: Joining him is 31 year-old Burt Altist. Son of wealthy vinyard owners from the Bur region, and deeply religious, he is the gentleman of the game. With a career record 13 fouls to his name, he has the nickname of "The Saint". Served as a medic in the recent war. Employs a good PR firm, and kicks a good ball. Usually forwards.

Substitutes: #16: Wahid Nuzabi, #18: Pétr Shepli

Wing-Back
#5: Rúni Spencer is a Láder, that is, a native of the old county of Ládan, in the area now known as Riverla. Left-back for HMFC Newkiltra, he earns his keep bringing up the rear to Rían Ráns. Energetic, fast, but not afraid to get down a dirty. Swears at referees a lot, and his fitness is usually not enough to keep up with his activity on the field. Only 30, but he is beginning to burn out.

Substitute: #15 Ben Harak

Full-Back
#3: On the right of defence, James Wilson. A League champion with Mendla Town, he's a solid defender, and not much else. Has scored from crosses... accidentally. Usually hits them into the car park.

Substitute: #13: Keni Pitz Ímon

Centre-Back
#2/#4:The defensive partnership of the Finn brothers (or 'the brothers Finn') is the first of its kind to be repeated on the national team. Philip (no. 2) and Arold (no.4) also have a sister Dani in the women's team. Unfortunately for them, Arold has been loaned out by their club Aberforth FC to Kings FC this season, and so they won't be playing together professionally in the run-up to the Noctur Cup.

Substitutes: #12: Les Green, #14: Merl Sergent

Goalkeeper
#1: The only Setite on the team, Shinze Masuko is the best domestic goalkeeper in a league that often relies on foreigners for the role (the best ball catchers opting for cricket or Hurling early in life). At the age of 24, he has recently been sold by Okanaka FC - where he was for some years a local hero - to the league champions Mendla Town. He is not, however, considered to be a magnificent goalkeeper. Rather, he is the best of a mediocre national stock.

Substitutes: #22: Feliks Dettle-North, #23: Lod Connell

Higgins & Brown Women's Team
Nickname: The Maragest ("Sea of Traps")
Manager - Ruth Mukon (formerly manager/captain of Bur Reginal FC)
Captain - Olivi Dweali, left-back (#3)
Home Stadium - Newrena, Newport / Kemptra Park, Vklarrbeg
Preferred Formation - 4-3-3
National League - Pro10 Championship
National League Champions - Bur Reginal FC (winners of the 173 tournament. First post-war tournament started in March 177)

This team is given great advantage by the fact that 6 of its starting line up hail from the same club, Guilda Griffins, of the old Thíth county in south-western Higgins. Guilda last won the Super League 10 years ago, but they're 1/4 on to win this year's returning tournament, such is their talent. Whatsmore, the team is managed by Ruth Mukon, "the Special One", a character fans love to hate but one whom no-one can accuse of not pushing her team to its limits. That being said, women's football in Higgins & Brown simply isn't as big as it is elsewhere, and a cohestive team led by a bossy mammoth of the domestic game might not be enough to ensure any success.

Strikers
#10/#20: Fiona Sulivan and Stefani Rósh are constantly battling with each other for the starting eleven position up front. They've been played together but it's never worked. Sulivan hails from Guilda Griffins, whereas Rósh has long been the star striker for Queens of Kings F.C. Sulivan is thought to have the edge in selection for the Noctur Cup. She is a year older than Rósh at 28, and her form is terrific.

(Other) Substitutes: #19: Clár Shín

Wingers/Wide Forwards
#9: On the right wing, the captain of Guilda Griffins FC, its Róysi Largo. At 33, she is the oldest in the team, but her intelligence on the ball is what keeps her place safe.
#11: On the left, Júli Anrussel. Currently without a club after she told Talameara Lightning where to shove their new contract, she has made a lot of enemies in the domestic league. The gaffer loves her though, and no-one can argue with her quality.

Actually, sometimes they can. She gets a bit fighty.

Substitutes: #15: Káti Cáb. (right) #18: Ema Hansby (left)

Centre-Midfield
#7: Dían Dún is inserted as the team's playmaker for the Noctur Cup. At the age of 23, this will be her first time representing her country. Will the nerves get to her? Plays in the Hralian league for Midbanks, where she has picked up a few 'Player of the Month' accolades, but has also been criticised for inconsistency by some pundits.

#16: Karen Dugan: The Incredible Hulk is her nickname, and that's not just because she dies her lengthy hair green. Its also because she will stamp you into the floor if needs be, while also possessing the pace to transform a pick-up in defence to a powerful counter-attack. Plays for Guilda Griffins. Fought as a civilian Sniper in the protracted battle of Athboi.

#8: A surprise addition to the starting line-up, making it two of the middle three who will be in the team for the first time. Zara Abda Latief represented Higgins & Brown at U18s level while homeland of Tadnam was still a territory. Independent Tadnam has not sent a team to the games amidst crippling food shortages and societal instability. Latief, despite living in Tadnam and even expressing support for the new independent state, approached the HBFF to let them know she would be available to play. Mukon snatched her up, and has called her "the most down-to-earth anchor a team could have," displaying if nothing else Ruth Mukon's penchant for dodgy mixed metaphors. Latief is 24, and played in the past for Colgerugh Cougars.

Substitutes: #13: Lana Níg Uidhir, #6: Felici Boudner

Full-Backss
#3: Olivi Dweali sits on the left of defence but her area of influence extends to the opposite corner flag. An obvious choice for team captain, she also captains league champions Bur Reginal F.C., and was previously Vice-Captain to Ruth Mukon.

#2: On the right of the defence is Guilda Griffins' own Dani Finn. Two and three years younger than her brothers, she has more caps than either of them for the national side. Her chemistry with Largo is widely praised, considering their age gap and technical differences. As an active wingback and martial at the back, Finn can come in for blame as much as controversy, with mistakes in defence not unknown to her.

Substitutes: #14 Bréna Sidl can play on the left or right comfortably. #17: Also her age, Máv Deburc is the youngest member of the squad, and plays at left-back.

Centre-Back
#4: Louise Gorma plays for Guilda Griffins and is a well-respected mainstay of the national team, though she is a fairly limited defender.

#5: Her partner in crime, Név Fahi, is a ball-playing defender for Hartclough Rangers, a Pro10 team from the hinterlands of Tratermon, in Athraltra region. Tall and athletic, she is prone to ill-advised heroics at either end. While she scores her fair share of headers, she has caused too many own goals not to have learnt some discipline. Ruth Mukon has said to the press that she has been teaching her that discipline at every opportunity. Sounds frightening. And Slightly intriguing.

Substitutes#12: Berna Farrel of Vklarrinas, #21: Michelle Caldwell, playing for Talameara Lightning.

Goalkeeper
#1: The sixth Griffin in the starting eleven, Grás Burn has been the #1 choice goalkeeper for 6 years. However, she is largely untested in international football, due to the war, and rumours about her fractious relationship with the manager have spread, suggesting she might be replaced.

[u]Substitutes[/b]: #22: Maria Darcy, 1st choice goalkeeper for Newport Utd. #23: Hannah Robinson, 1st choice goalkeeper for Football League 1 side Noelstown WFC, and the only player in the squad not from a top-flight team.
Last edited by Higgins and Brown on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:56 am

The White Tigers

The Arthurian Federal Football Teams are the nation-wide squads chosen to represent the Arthurian Federation in international association footballing fixtures. Football in Arthuria is not a popular sport. This presents many difficulties for its governing body, the Arthurian Association Football Committee. Chief among these is the Committee's inability to scour players from an Arthurian league, as such a thing does not exist. While trials are planned for the second Noctur Cup, the Arthurian team for the first Noctur Cup has been 'borrowed' from the Arthurian Rugby Football Union Committee; at present, therefore, the Arthurian rugby union teams and the Arthurian football teams are one and the same. One impact of this on Arthuria's association football tradition has been its kit, which is almost identical to the famous all-black strip of Vikingurtrup.

However, with a moderate spike of interest in association football since the announcement of the Noctur Cup the AAFC has created a new identity for its teams. Both the male and female association football teams have been branded the 'White Tigers'. This naming was the accidental result of social media trends in Arthuria; it was intended to combine elements of Arthuria - specifically its Antarctic climate - with those of the Noctur Cup's host state, Nui-ta. Thus was born the White Tigers. Unfortunately, upon being told that tigers were not native to Nui-ta, the AAFC had already ordered White Tiger merchandise. The name has therefore been made official, having started amongst the Arthurian public as a grassroots nickname. By lucky coincidence, the second kit of the Arthurian association football teams is striped, and so in the annals of Arthurian football the naming has been made to reflect this aesthetic feature rather than the mistake which truly lies at its heart.

First Kit of the Arthurian association football teams. It is similar to the all-black kit of Arthuria's other sporting teams.

Second Kit of the Arthurian association football teams.

Below are the rosters of both the men's and women's association football teams, respectively. They do not include information on international caps or club affiliations because the current team has never competed in international football, nor are its members association football players for any local clubs.

Both teams use a 4-3-3 formation.

Players in bold constitute the teams' starting lineups.

PositionNumberNameAge
Goalkeeper1Anders Vestergard27
Goalkeeper12Frederik Losl29
Defender2Peter Kjær22
Defender3Simon Rønow21
Defender4Kristian Vas21
Defender5Rasmus Fisker23
Defender13Vilhelm Eriksen27
Defender14Frederik Jørgensen26
Defender15Lars Andersen23
Midfielder6Kristian Kvist30
Midfielder7Thor Rasmussen25
Midfielder8Olaf Rønow29
Midfielder16Jonas Jonsen28
Midfielder17Tyr Økenskold29
Forward9Kristian Kristiansen25
Forward10Søren Kristiansen23
Forward11Odin Kransen28
Midfielder18Vilnus Julianus23
Midfielder19Octavian Odinsen22

PositionNumberNameAge
Goalkeeper1Stinar Sandveg27
Goalkeeper12Sofias Jendotar26
Defender2Sesiliar Nilsdotar24
Defender3Jani Sørendotar19
Defender4Johanur Norgard20
Defender5Lunar Jans21
Defender13Jan Larsdotar23
Defender14Simonur Jørgendotar25
Defender15Hildur Anderdotar23
Midfielder6Runær Manus30
Midfielder7Freyjar Rasmusdotar21
Midfielder8Røsin Kristiansdotar19
Midfielder16Fildur Abel24
Midfielder17Nirn Haamarskjold26
Forward9Tenas Reykær28
Forward10Min Bendtdotar24
Forward11Sesiliar Odindotar19
Midfielder18Frederikur Thøgerdotar20
Midfielder19Sif Rask22

Roleplay Permissions

Choose my goalscorer: Yes
Injuries to my players: Yes
Godmod injuries to my players: Yes
Hand out red cards to my players: Up to eight per match. Please telegram me first.
Godmod other events: Please telegram me first. The answer will most likely be 'yes'.
Style Modifier: +4.5
Last edited by The Arthurian Isles on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Poldania
Envoy

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Poldania » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm

(I will try to eventually put something here, if the gods of college workloads allow it.)

Hand out red cards to my players: Once per match
Style Modifier: +2
Last edited by Poldania on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official name: The Poldanian Union
Language: Livretan
President: Robert Cesare (U)
Prime Minister: Antoine Schmidt (U)

Segland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Segland » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Information on the Seglandic National Soccer Team
Информатсин Обен Сехленде Националсоккеркоманλелд
Informātsin ōben Sechlēnde Nātsionalsokkerkōmanheld

Men's Roster

Formation: 5-2-2-1 Coach: Myelnow Krakesçu

Goalkeepers:

Frans Armbruster 25 GK SK Roosevelt
Rogert Vogt 22 GK Clubo Callei
Aurents Donernel 23 GK Vlamendiy Langenditsisch

Defenders:

Arkhip Sveint 27 LB Merren
Christian Hoever 28 LB Hinterholzhausen
Dmitri Ganstafischet 25 CB Clubo Callei
Finn Stump 21 CB SK Plorenko
Yatatsopolk Krameir 23 CB SK Dechfau

Kesha Berg 29 CB AV Rapid Ryutsvaag
Gabriel Mihailtsen 24 CB Draken
Sindre Werner 28 RB Zen Ludwig
Luther Floriente 29 RB Siklon SN

Midfielders:

Ulrich Schulltheis 30 LM Der Arkangel
Kay Adem 25 AM AV Rapid Ryutsvaag
Varlam Isidor 23 CM AV Rapid Ryutsvaag
Kimme Meissner 23 CM SK Unterlau

Vadik Faddei 27 CM Merren
Jorgan Waldfodel 22 RM Abskalia

Attackers:

Halldor Hummel 25 ST Passlus Prertel
Gebert Viggo 27 LF Der Arkangel

Poldi Jankovich 21 LF 180 Emperius
Kaspar Adamssen 24 CF Meilenhorn
Baptist Krauss 29 RF FK Bredentin
Rainer Schmidt 23 RF Draken

Women's Roster

Formation: 5-2-2-1 Coach: Hansette Frogel

Goalkeepers:

Swanhild Huff 27 GK Quirrenbach V
Irmtraud Orchein 22 GK Larsos V
Silje Wieck 20 GK Hernsjussen V

Defenders:

Gabi Siemon 23 LB Nederwampach V
Fransette Erste 30 LB Hinterholzhausen V
Anzhela Goebel 28 CB Hirscherburg V
Yevgeniya Juliana 20 CB Drakenswek V
Bodil Toov 22 CB Nuytslen V

Ariadna Farber 29 CB Opitnen V
Sylvia Hannest 24 CB Altenrode V
Margareth Teuthel 25 RB Blofendaal V
Teodora Fuchs 28 RB Bartolitz V

Midfielders:

Elvira Forstnerdech 28 LM Tressia V
Hulda Amelie 21 AM Welhelmen V
Elsa Werner 23 CM Zenlohe V
Tatyana Bergstultcher 23 CM Kap Hoop V

Meta Ulli 19 CM Unterlau V
Gunheldette Raphela 26 RM Nord Nassau V

Attackers:

Klara Waltz 25 ST Passlus V
Brunhild Mohlen 22 LF Tressia V

Cecilia Arnesen 20 LF Sud Nassau V
Elisabeth Romanov 27 CF Kap Hoop V
Jela Beyer 29 RF Roosevelt V
Vlasta Gertraud 30 RF Serdegast V

The men's and women's teams use the same uniform.

Godmod injuries to my players: Likely yes, but please TG me anyway
Hand out red cards to my players: One per match
Godmod other events: TG me
Style Modifier: -4
Last edited by Segland on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Seglandic Republic | Segelcynn Gemænewela | 色各兰共和国
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere." - Seamus Heaney

Detectatia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Detectatia » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Kits, Rosters, and RP Permissions for the National Football Teams Representing Detectatia at the First Noctur Cup in Nui-ta

KITS
Note: Both the men's and women's teams wear the same kit designs.

ROSTERS
Note: Bolded and italicized rows indicate the starting players. The plain text rows below each set of bolded, italicized names indicate the substitute players.

National Men's Team (using a 4-5-1 formation and coached by Emma Benning)

National Women's Team (using a 2-4-4 formation and coached by Kira Tod)

ROLEPLAYING PERMISSIONS

Godmod injuries to my players: Yes, but I'd prefer it if you TG me first.
Hand out red cards to my players: TG me first to ask.
Godmod other events: TG me first to ask.
Style Modifier: Men's team is -4, and women's team is +3.75.
Last edited by Detectatia on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DETECTATIA CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION PER MY GREAT RETCON PROJECT OF 2016

Algrabad
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algrabad » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:42 am

Injuries to my players: Yes for Women, No for Men. They are brick.
Godmod injuries to my players: Yes where applicable
Hand out red cards to my players: Yes - especially the men (max. of 4 per game)
Godmod other events: Yes/No
Style Modifier: -5 for Men, +1 for Women

ImageImage
Algrabad
Home + Away Kit
(Red Shorts w/ Yellow Trim, Red Socks with vertical yellow stripe) (White shorts w/red trim, White socks w/red horizontal stripe)

Hralia
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hralia » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:54 am

b]My opponent, if they RP first, may do the following:[/b]
Hand out red cards to my players: Yes
Style Modifier: -2 for the Men, 0 for the women.

ImageImage
Hralia
Home + Away Kit
(White Shorts w/ red trim, White socks) (Black Shorts w/ white trim, White Socks)

Team info - Men's Team
Nickname - The Hammers of Hralia/The Reds
Manager - Micheál Leamprick (formerly of Translothian AFC)
Captain - Aodhán Bhilliam, Defensive Midfielder (#6)
Home Stadium - Stadium Hrólgir, located high in the Border Mountains (great home record, even if few bother with them).
Preferred Formation - 4-1-4-1 (Defensive)
National League - First Division
National League Champions - Kilmarnock AFC

Team info - Women's Team
Nickname - The Ban Hammers/The Reds
Manager - Ioana Stephen (formerly of Lletni FC)
Captain - Ádén Duidhir, Goalkeeper (#1)
Home Stadium - Stadium Hrólgir, located high in the Border Mountains (great home record, even if few bother with them).
Preferred Formation - 3-2-2-2-1
National League - The Belle's Ball (AKA First Division)
National League Champions - Montrose Flames[/quote]

Varisea
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Varisea » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:56 am

Choose my goalscorers: Yes, as long as Okan scores every goal :p
Hand out red cards to my players: Yes, but please be reasonable about it.
Style Modifier: +4, Varisean football is very fast pace and aggressive (strategically, not physically). The Varisean teams will always go on the offensive, hoping to demoralize and overwhelm their opponents with swift, well coordinated attacks. Thus, Varisean matches are very much a test of endurance. The obvious downside of such a strategy is that the team may not have the strength to see the game through to the end.

Men's Team: Varisean Champions/"Champs"
-Manager: Maxim Pytrov
-God EmperorCaptain: Rayner Okan (#10)
-Home Stadium: Celestine Stadium, Sedia
-Formation: 4-2-3-1
-National League: First Division
Women's Team: Varisean Champions/"Aces"
-Manager: Kaster Yanocov
-Captain: Asa Hensly (#1)
-Home Stadium: Celestine Stadium, Sedia
-Formation: 4-4-2
-National League: First Division

Uniform:

Roster:
Last edited by Varisea on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Higgins and Brown: "Time to Purge Var, time to purge."
Napkiraly wrote:Still too violent. Rocks and scissors can encourage violent competitive behaviour and reinforce toxic masculinity.

USS Monitor wrote:I think this thread is already an RP. It's so disconnected from reality.

Luna Amore wrote:That title makes me want to vomit with rage.

The first Galactic Republic wrote: When you mentioned patriarchy out of nowhere, I realized that the human process had been lost.
Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67
Libertarian (Center) Leftist, Secular Humanist
More than you ever wanted to know about america's foreign policy

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:52 am

Match Day 1

Group A

Hralia vs Segland, male teams (2-2)
Algrabad vs Arthuria, male teams (1-0)

Group A (male teams only)   Pld     W     D     L     GF     GA     GD     Pts.
1 Algrabad 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
2 Hralia 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
2 Segland 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
3 Arthuria 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0

Group B

Nui-ta vs Conpatria, male teams (1-0)
Radiatia vs Detectatia, male teams (6-1)

Group B (male teams only)    Pld    W    D    L    GF    GA     GD    Pts.
1 Radiatia 1 1 0 0 6 1 +5 3
2 Nui-ta 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
3 Conpatria 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0
4 Detectatia 1 0 0 1 1 6 -5 0

Group C

Poldania vs Higgins and Brown, male teams (1-0)
Hadin vs Varisea, male teams (2-5)

Group C (male teams only)   Pld    W    D    L    GF    GA     GD    Pts.
1 Varisea 1 1 0 0 5 2 +3 3
2 Poldania 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
3 Higgins and Brown 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0
4 Hadin 1 0 0 1 2 5 -3 0

Group D

Varisea vs Radiatia, female teams (2-6)
Algrabad vs Hralia, female teams (1-3)

Group D (female teams only)    Pld    W    D    L    GF    GA     GD    Pts.
1 Radiatia 1 1 0 0 6 2 +4 3
2 Hralia 1 1 0 0 3 1 +2 3
3 Algrabad 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0
4 Varisea 1 0 0 1 2 6 -4 0

Group E

Conpatria vs Higgins and Brown, female teams (0-2)
Segland (unopposed)

1 Higgins and Brown 1 1 0 0 2 0 +2 3
2 Conpatria 1 0 0 1 0 2 -2 0
3 Segland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Group F

Nui-ta vs Detectatia, female teams (2-1)
Poldania vs Arthuria, female teams (1-2)

Group F (female teams only)    Pld    W    D    L    GF    GA     GD    Pts.
1 Nui-ta 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
1 Arthuria 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
2 Detectatia 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
2 Poldania 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
Last edited by Nui-ta on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:03 pm

'The mood was despondent in the Arthurian changing rooms.'

This was what Johan Rasmussen imagined he would be writing after their inaugural match in Rahku City. Instead, his team was in good spirits and he was content. Vikingurtrup was in various stages of undress around their lockers, the floor strewn with the famous black strip smeared in grass stains. Those who had not gone straight to the showers were drinking horn1 of lager which waited for them on return from the pitch. The chance to try mainland lagers was rare for Arthurians, for whom the experience back home was expensive. So far during their stay, the team had spent much of their time sampling the offerings of Nui-ta and the famed Seglandic pints of which they had heard so much.

Their celebration was interrupted by Rasmussen who, upon entering, called for the attention of the room. As head coach, he was one of the few people who could do so with any chance of success.

"I am in despair." He began. He looked each and every player in the eyes. His stare showed a care for them, though his face would not do the same; it refused to bend its tight lips into anything like a smile. "I am in despair not because we lost this match, but because of how we lost this match. To coach a football team, to lead that football team through this tournament, that is my unconditional commitment. All I wish for is to relate to that commitment, to become the individual for whom that commitment is fulfilled. I wish to be judged by this tournament and how we comport ourselves throughout it. Understood?"

A ripple of nods broke the silent surface.

"But I cannot do that, because I am in despair. I am in despair because what entered onto the pitch today was not a football team, it was a collection of eleven rugby players. Each of us is unaware of that within us that can transform us into a team of football players, and until we can overcome this we will have no chance of success."

Some of the players began to look at one another, more out of curiosity than mockery.

"The problem is that we are not relating to our selves. We are relating to a conception of our selves, a conception that depicts us as rugby players."

"We are rugby players." Vestergard, the goalkeeper, interrupted.

"No." Rasmussen shot back. "We are football players."

"No...we are rugby players playing football. That does not make us football players."

"And that," Rasmussen addressed the room, gesturing towards Vestergard, "is what our problem is. We are limited by our minds, which tell us that we do not belong out there. They tell us that we should be playing rugby, and that as long as we are not doing so we are acting contrary to our selves and our selves' relation to our commitment. Well I tell you, we have a new commitment. And if we have a new commitment then we have a new relation to that commitment, and a new relation of the self relating to that relation."

The room remained silent, except for the gentle bubbling of the jacuzzis in the adjoining areas.

"Listen, trup. Knowledge becomes such only when it is assimilated in the mind of the learner and shows in his character. To know and to act are one and the same. This is why I have worked hard to teach you the rules of association football. But my input to your success can reach only so far. You must, through meditating on your own self-conception, reach an understanding of football that goes beyond verbal expression. You must become the footballer in your mind, and only then will you act like the footballer."

Søren Kristiansen, the forward who would have scored the team's opening goal in the tournament had he not been denied it by the impenetrable Algrabadi defence, raised his hand.

"We got three red cards this match. Footballers get red cards too. Becoming footballers cannot stop us from getting red cards. We are still vulnerable."

"Yes." Rasmussen said. "This is a moment when meditation will not help you. Here, I must coach." He sighed. "I will not lie, the red cards cost us dearly. I, too, believed that rugby rules were still in effect. I did not realise that the cards were permanent. But," and he looked at one of the midfielders, "Olaf, the fault is ultimately yours. Do you know why?"

"Because I dump tackled their man." The second-largest player in the room, a bald-headed man with a full but trimmed beard, spoke.

"Because you dump tackled their man." Rasmussen repeated. "Why did you dump tackle one of the Algrabadi players?"

"Because it was better than spear tackling him." Olaf seemed pleased with his answer. The other players did too, nodding in agreement. A dump tackle was far safer for the same effect, and much less likely to have gotten Olaf a red card. "If it was better to spear tackle him, I would have spear tackled him. It probably would have gotten the ball away from him as easily, but I chose to dump tackle him instead; it was safer."

"But why did you dump tackle him in the first place?"

"Because it was safer than spear tackling him."

"Why," Rasmussen spoke slowly, choosing each word carefully, "did you use any tackle on their man?"

"I did not use any tackle. I used a dump tackle. If I did not want to dump tackle him, I would have spear tackled him. If I had spear tackled him I would have been guaranteed a red card though, so I chose to dump tackle him."

"And yet you still were given a red card. What does that tell you about tackling?"

"That I should improve my technique."

"Thank you, Olaf. You may not know it, but you have proved my point more than any lectures I could give you." Rasmussen looked at each of his players again. "You see, Olaf is thinking like a rugby player. The footballer would have seen his tackle and immediately recognised that it was illegal. Because, trup, it is illegal to pick up players in football matches."

A wave of realisation submerged the room. The assistant coaches scribbled notes on their pads. Olaf grinned in simple amusement.

"Alright. We shall discuss this more in the hotel later. For now, wash, drink and celebrate. We came up against the strongest defence in this entire tournament today, and still we only lost by one conversion. From this, we can learn a lot; and from the women's team, we can learn even more. By the time of our next match, I want to see that attack breaking through their defences."

The room began to bustle once more. Some players continued to strip down. Others headed to the ice baths, not so much to relieve their muscles as to combat the crippling Nui-tan heat.

"Are there any questions?" Rasmussen asked. Simon Rønow, one of the burlier defenders, raised his hand.

"Ja, Johan. What is this 'offside rule' of which we hear?"

1 A horn is an Arthurian drinking vessel, manufactured from animal horns. It also refers to a measurement of 750ml of an alcoholic beverage.
Last edited by The Arthurian Isles on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Hadinian Roster and Kit

Postby Hadin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:06 pm

The Hadinian theocracy does not encourage women to engage in violent, high-contact sports such as rugby or football. It has therefore declined to send a female team to the Noctur Cup.

Manager: Terzo Mantavani
Formation: 3-4-3

GoalkeeperEdmundo Talavaro24Laetirae
GoalkeeperViviano Grimaldi22Salutem
GoalkeeperDavin Lacovara21Korvicci
Left-BackAlvaro Almatova30Unare
Left-BackGineto Cintola25Laetirae
Center-BackTolomeo Argo29Tristicco
Center-BackTammaro Brocolli21Fueccia
Right-BackGlauco Galati20Salutem
Right-BackClodomilo Balda-Romi23Aelia
Left Mid-fieldAcabo Aquila26Oedos
Left-Mid-fieldFuscino Cambino19Oedos
Center Mid-fieldAntero Motta27Jaanusi
Center Mid-fieldJanus Oersed29Suile-Blan
Right Mid-fieldAnselmo Schiavoni23Jaanusi
Right Mid-fieldAddo Capone28Beliti
Attacking MidfielderEndrigo Pio25Beliti
Attacking MidfielderCesare Martinelli29Unare
Left-WingAristo Deni31Unare
Left-WingMarcel Vitolo25Fueccia
Left-WingRodrigo Vileri26Salutem
Right-WingSinesio Luvollo20Kopur
Right-WingLars Nastridi28Kopur
Right-WingAnastazio Rosati27Fueccia
Right-WingUmile Cecere19Oedos
Center-FieldLancilotto Carsella25Kopur
Center-FieldAiace Berto28Laetirae
Center-FieldPolidoro Maddalone21Fueccia

Godmod injuries to my players: Again, TG.
Hand out yellow cards to my players: Up to 3 per match.
Hand out red cards to my players: One per match; TG me beforehand as a precaution.
Godmod other events: TG for confirmation.
Style Modifier: +0 (I follow my own rules; this was posted after scorination so it is by default a neutral team).
Just so you know, this nation, in character, is a highly sexist, highly theocratic, and highly authoritarian state. (Though under the new guy, it seems to be improving a little).

I disagree with a lot of what this nation stands for. It was invented for its intrigue and ample opportunities for satire, not for its ideals.

Algrabad
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algrabad » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:24 pm

The air in the Algrabadi dressing room was stiff with the bittersweet relief after a successful mission. Such was the manner that any member of the Marine Infantry of Chemmakh team (now playing as Algrabad, previously having been "3rd Army Team B13") viewed the days events. They had suffered some casualties, in the form of red cards, and they had inflicted some wounds, and ultimately they had fulfilled their objective.

The team had risen through the tournaments held in the aftermath of victory in the west. A new love for military sports among the populace (or rather, free admission), had seen them grow in the eyes of the public as well as in the tournaments' rankings. Now, here they were, representing Algrabad. For the country and the revolution, they must perform respectably.

Nobody expected miracles; None of the men played full-time, and few of them had even had an interest in football before being assigned to the unit's squad. But they were fit as a Marine could be, each one, and their sports-officer, a colonel tasked with producing a team, had picked them not with any footballing quality in mind... no, he had picked them because they could put their opponents in the hospital without breaking a sweat. For their country, they must perform respectably - and that meant not losing terribly.

But they represented something other than the nation as well. within Algrabad, they were the military's new talismen. The military leaders thought it truly important, right up to Vice-President Canaan, that the military perform peaceful feats after its victories in battle. For the People's Army, they must do more than perform respectably... they must win.

Led by Captain Houssain (the highest ranking member of the team), managed by Talia Caid, and under the care of Senior Colonel Yousef Hammami, they were constantly reminded of the great necessity of victory.

No, they were not skilfull. They were not smart with the ball, nor adept at controlling it. But crippling they could do.

True, Arthuria had sent a rugby team, and just as well, because it had seemed fairer for everyone - both because neither team really seemed to know what to do with the ball, and because they were employing a physicality not usually seen on a professional football pitch. After several red cards, and a few gasps from a shocked crowd, the match had been lit up by a goal that no-one in the team really remembered contributing to in a positive way. The cross had been mis-hit, the deflections it had taken on the way through were accidental, and it had taken several studies of slow motion replays to discover than the thigh which had connected with the ball to send it into the net (off the goalkeeper's face) did indeed belong to an Algrabadi. That Algrabadi was Junior Sergeant Zenaidi, a centre-back who later got sent off for headbutting his mark in the stomach.

The unit had last been on the battlefield to repel a night-time invasion by Higgins-Brownite special ops at a key naval base. This evening felt eerily similar to the morning after that engagement, and was handled with the same level of discipline.

Within 10 minutes of leaving the showers, they were back in uniform, and their kit bags were packed. They were discouraged from interacting much with the opposing team before leaving altogether.

On the team bus they found out that the women had lost to Hralia, which seemed to mean more than their own victory. But there you go, soldiers rarely know acclaim for their actions.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hadin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:31 pm

No matter what branch of the religion, a common hallmark among Septimists was the use of talismans.

The historical origins of this practice were never confirmed. The Bibi Albus, known internationally as the holy text of the religion, never mandated the use of such talismans, or set specific requirements as to what constituted a talisman. The traditional lore among the Hadinian people, passed on by oral tradition for centuries before anyone bothered to start putting pen to paper, settled a few specifics but still left much room for creativity.

It was often thought that time spent under Nui-tan colonialism was what made the talismans popular. Nui-tans, with their practice of the polytheistic Stalari, had many rites and traditions and sights and colors and smells and symbols that were particular to this god or that god --- the Hadinians, in trying to keep their fierce national identity while under the thumb of long-dead Emperors who'd once held them in colonial servitude, had likely just picked up the practice to try and make their beliefs seem "more palatable" to their oppressors.

With the overthrow of Nui-tan colonialism (historians tried to forget that the long-dead Emperor Vincentius III had agreed to Hadinian freedom, and that the war was caused by tensions within Hadin itself as to how to go about this life as an independent nation), Hadin was quick to "puritanize" their religion. Humanist Septimism, which borrowed many of the Stalari influences of Nui-ta, was banned entirely. Architecture firms profited as churches in the newly independent Hadin raced to get rid of anything that seemed even remotely like a Stalari temple. Cloistered areas for individual reflection were removed, and the cathedrals became massive and overpowering. In Nui-ta, the religious sought to be one with god, rather than be ruled. In Hadin, they sought to be ruled, and found themselves making ever so great a distinction between them and god --- god was untouchable.

Unreachable, at least upon this mortal coil. Unreachable until judgement day, though the Hadinians would still encourage themselves to try, in a twisted paradox.

One of the few vestiges from Nui-tan influence which survived Hadinian puritanism were the talismans. Their Nui-tan influences could not be categorically proven, and the fixation on the talismans among the faithful had done far more good than harm for the Traditional Septimists, who dominated the government of the Hadinian theocracy. Hadin's theocracy was forged in the heat of Hadinian religious faith --- the only thing that had carried them away from a second civil war when Radiatian democracy failed. The talismans were like material conduits for this otherwise intangible faith: and so, they flourished.

As they flourished, the religion continued to flourish alongside it: the relationship was best described as "symbiotic mutualism"1.

Today, the talismans involved were everywhere. Rich families had stylized talismans to a patron incarnation of their god made from pure metals, and often wore them like jewelry after having them blessed from a high-ranking Bishop. Poor families would often make do with hand-carved wooden talismans, or even simple paper talismans, which they would take to a local priest to have blessed.

Nearly every respectable family had a seven-pointed star somewhere in their household, a symbol of Septima, the seventh and most powerful incarnation of Deus among humanity2.

There were other talismans associated with the other incarnations of God. A good Septimist woman, no matter how destitute her family, was not without some sort of talisman related to Tresima3, the third incarnation (and the patron of women) on her wedding day.

Novice priests were given bronze chains which were associated with Unus, the first incarnation. Soldiers had their dog tags blessed with a prayer to Quintrama. Young children started school with a metal token in hand, sacred to Quartima.

Although he was the patron of young children, Quartima was also sacred to missionaries, many of whom were awaiting dispatch to northern Zanzes, as the fine details of Northern Zanzes's future under UNCA took shape. Quartima's mission was to bring the word of God to the darkest corners of the earth, and for the Hadinians, Nui-ta was that dark corner. Most of the members of the Hadinian national football team sent to the Noctur Cup had a talisman of some kind that they kept around their necks or on their wrists.

To be in Kaurizil, Nui-ta --- the seat of the Emperor (who was apparently out of the country on official diplomatic business), was to be in the heart of the demon itself. In the heart of the demon, there was a strange fear that took hold of the Septimists.

The starting goalkeeper, Edmundo Talavaro, felt his talisman fall from his neck. In stopping to pick it up from the grass, he missed the ball as it whizzed past his head and into the net he was supposed to be defending. The Variseans cheered, and Talavaro felt shame, for letting his charm be defiled by the mud, and doubly so for letting the ball slip past him in that moment of weakness.

Aristo Deni, the oldest player on the roster, scored the first of two goals against Varisea in what seemed like a proper turn-around. Instead of a quick cheer and returning to his post, he proceeded to drop to his knees, providing quite a spectacle for the audience. When he refused to leave, the Hadinian coach himself had to forcibly assist to remove Deni from the match, replacing him with Marcel Vitolo, a much less experienced left-winger who tried, but failed, to pierce through the defense of Varisea.

A bit shaken from the spectacle, the Hadinian defense seemed to lose the nerve to play. The highly offensive Varisean team had already gotten off to a running start in the early part of the game, making the game 1-3, and now Hadin had just taken its best offensive man off the field for being a fanatic --- a quality which had won military battles, ironically.

It wasn't that they agreed with Aristo --- would you stop to pray in gratitude for a victory after shooting an enemy soldier in the middle of a raging battlefield? --- but that they were just too embarrassed to look the Variseans with a straight face. These were supposed to be their allies, after all --- their friendliest competitors, before their next match with Higgins and Brown scheduled for Day 2.

For the first time, the Hadinians who had lived so long in a country where such religious spectacle was normal, felt culture shock. Despite a relative come-back towards the end, scoring one more goal, while defending against two of the four that Varisea attempted to field, the Hadinians found themselves at a loss, 2-5.

Reluctantly, they told themselves they would do better. The head coach, Terzo Mantavani, could be heard cursing at Aristo Deni through the post-game locker room hustle and bustle. Even on the bus which took the players back to their (admittedly quite nice) hotel rooms, the roars of the coach drowned out the hum of the engine and the sounds of urban traffic. Much of Hadin would have seen the match and the embarrassing outcome on television --- many had gotten international reception for their satellite TVs, or ordered the Noctur Cup on pay-per-view, just to see their team play. With Fiete Nikastro now High-Envoy in all but name, the censorship that would have previously not allowed this was gone.

Some of the Hadinians found themselves wanting Hass back, just to hide their shame from their hometowns. Others sweated at the thought, knowing full well that Hass was likely to have had the whole team lined up and shot for this blasphemy.

The morning of Match Day 2, the head coach came in with word that Fiete Nikastro himself had seen the match, and had only one thing to say. The Hadinian team was shocked to hear the voice of the (almost) High-Envoy over the phone.

We'll do the praying; go out and win this time.

1There are different kinds of symbiosis, symbiosis being when two organisms co-exist off of each other. A mutualist symbiotic relationship is one where both organisms derive benefits.

2Septimist theology states that Deus (God) has taken human form seven times in the history of mankind, each time in a different guise and to teach a different lesson. The seventh incarnation, attributed to the human name Patrizio Halmuth, was the most powerful of all incarnations of God, and it is his title as "the Seventh" (Septima) for which the religion is named; although there are "Second", "Third", "Fourth" and so on incarnations of God leading up to Septima, it is Septima who is the most revered incarnation of God in Hadin.

3Tresima, known under the human name Adelina Ganza, was the only female incarnation of God in the Septimist theology: this is significant given that Hadin is frequently ranked by the first world as one of the worst countries, if not the worst, to be born a woman. Of the seven incarnations of Deus in Septimist lore, only Septima does not have a patron demographic, as his teachings are considered universal. The other six incarnations are like patron saints towards specific people; Tresima is the patron incarnation of women.

4Unus, known by the human name Romerus Abate, is the patron incarnation of priests. Quintrama, known as Bruno Altamara, is the patron of soldiers. Quartima, known as Cicero Severia, is the patron of young children (and students).
Last edited by Hadin on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just so you know, this nation, in character, is a highly sexist, highly theocratic, and highly authoritarian state. (Though under the new guy, it seems to be improving a little).

I disagree with a lot of what this nation stands for. It was invented for its intrigue and ample opportunities for satire, not for its ideals.

Segland
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Segland » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:57 pm

Offices of the Ministry of Enlightenment
Ryutsvaag

"Your honor, the women's team won --"

"HAIL TO THE NEW REALM!" exclaimed the Minister for Enlightenment, Helmut Bosch, in response to the clerk's good news as he jumped from his chair and saluted the Seglandic flag in the corner of the room.

"-- in a bye."

"Er, oh, I see." Minister Bosch reddened a bit and fell back into his chair.

"They've also requested a shipment of nail files from home, saying the Nui-tan ones are slightly too abrasive and may affect their playing abilities," continued the clerk.

"Sounds an awful lot like a union, and you know the law about women forming unions," Bosch said.1 "Besides, soccer players don't even use their hands, so how the hell would it affect their playing?"

"Actually, your honor, the keeper does use her hands in the rare event that their defense is penetrated."

Bosch groaned. He had become head of the Ministry in 2002, back when women were still prohibited from playing sports at the national level. Only a year later that ban had been rescinded, and the chauvinistic Bosch was forced to oversee women's sports as well as men's. To think they now had the impudence to ask for nail files!

"Fine, damn it. I guess they are our Noctur Cup team, after all," conceded Bosch.

The clerk smiled. "They'll appreciate it, your honor." He bowed his head and started to leave when the Minister spoke.

"Wait, is the men's match still on?" he asked.

"I think it's just getting started, actually," replied the clerk.

"Perfect, perfect," said Bosch. "Let's see what our boys can do." He reached for a remote and turned on a television inserted into one of the faux-wood walls. It was already tuned into Channel 5, an SPTV sports channel.

They entered a world of screaming fans, guttural Seglandic announcers, and electrified international competition.

"SECHLENDE UND URALIYA!" comes the veteran sportscaster's Seschespek prelude. Segland and Hralia!

Achilles Hall, the lead soccer commentator for SPTV, has been on the scene for 29 years. The sport was just starting to gain prominence in the late 1980s, and Hall sacrificed a promising career as a football announcer to make a living in the embryonic field of soccer casting. It turned out to be an advantageous move as soccer became the second most popular sport in Segland after gridiron football. Hall is now arguably the most recognized voice in sportscasting.

Both national teams stream out onto the pitch bearing their country's flag. Parts of the crowd boo as the Seglandic anthem is played, but the boos are edited out of the broadcast back in Segland, which transmits on a delay. Once the anthem of Hralia finishes, a referee administers the coin toss.

"And Hralia gets the toss," Hall booms.

0' | HRA 0-0 SEG | The men's first battle begins with Hummel kicking off to the Hralians. They bring it back to center midfield, but Hummel and Krauss are already putting on the pressure.

5' | HRA 0-0 SEG | Viggo takes possession of the ball, passes around. Isidor and Meissner both riding up to supplement the offensive push. Viggo to Hummel. Hummel shoots, HE SCORES! THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE! A goal in the first ten minutes is practically unheard of in defensive Seglandic soccer...I don't think anyone expected Segland to take the lead so early on.

18' | HRA 0-1 SEG | The Seglanders will be in a good spot to shoot if they can take over the vulnerable Hralian midfield, which is exactly what we saw happen with the earlier goal. I'm seeing a similar setup here, and -- WOW! Aodhán Bhilliam with the slide tackle against Meissner; he wasn't gonna let that happen again. Bhilliam is pretty much the linchpin of the Hralian defense, and he has an outsize talent for his small mountain country.

35' | HRA 0-1 SEG | Segland definitely withdrawing to the much more defensive structure that they're so known (and sometimes criticized) for. I doubt we'll see much more action during this half.

45' | HRA 0-1 SEG | We were off to an exciting start, but the first half ends with no real developments in forty minutes. Segland leads by 1.

HALF-TIME: HRALIA 0 - 1 SEGLAND

46' | HRA 0-1 SEG | We see Hralia starting off the half pretty hot; they obviously want to end the Seglandic break.

49' | HRA 0-1 SEG | The two offenses are clashing now. I'll tell you, they aren't going to get that ball through the likes of Stump and Kramier even if -- SO THEY FLOAT THE BALL HIGH OVER THEM, ABSOLUTELY INSANE, AND ARMBRUSTER DIVES FOR IT BUT IT'S A GOAL! IT'S HARD TO DEFEND AGAINST SOMETHING LIKE THAT! I'M NOT EVEN SURE THAT WAS INTENTIONAL ON THE PART OF HRALIA!

57' | HRA 1-1 SEG | The chemistry and cohesion behind Segland's defense is really shining through as this match progresses. There was that beautiful subterfuge employed a minute ago by Ganstafischet and Stump which can only emerge out of constant practice together, and it's exactly what makes them fun to watch.

66' | HRA 1-1 SEG | Hralia just tried another airborne goal attempt, but that sort of fluke won't happen twice in a match, and it's totally out. Armbruster with the goal kick. Werner receives, Werner to Isidor, Isidor passes over to Krauss, AND KRAUSS JUKES A MIDFIELDER, HE'S NOW RUNNING WELL AHEAD OF THE HRALIANS, KRAUSS TO HUMMEL, BUT THE PRESSURE IS TOO MUCH FOR HUMMEL AND IT'S BACK TO KRAUSS, KRAUSS FINDS AN OPENING AAAAND HE TUCKS IT ARTFULLY INTO THE GOAL CORNER! I THINK THAT'S WHAT THE TIERRA AZURANS CALL "SPREZZATURA"! WOW!

71' | HRA 1-2 SEG| The Hralians are turning up the temperature here by the Seglandic goal, with one scoring attempt actually rebounding off the crossbar. Armbruster clearly enjoying himself. Even if Hralia can close the gap, I just can't see them pulling ahead in the limited time they have left.

83' | HRA 1-2 SEG | Krameir and the other defenders are so... long-suffering, if I can use that word, and they're just a stone wall deflecting whatever Hralia throws (or rather, kicks) at them. There goes another frenzied rush from Hralia, and, damn, it looks like Finn Stump just fouled the Hralian striker! That'll be a penalty kick against Segland. This is PRECISELY what Hralia needed.

84' | HRA 1-2 SEG | Nerves, and the fact that he just got fouled, don't even touch the Hralian striker as he converts his penalty kick to a goal for Hralia. The game is tied with six minutes to go!

89' | HRA 2-2 SEG | Hummel tests his luck with a Hail Mary shot from the half-way line, but it's well wide of the goal. Looks like this is gonna be a draw.

90' | HRA 2-2 SEG | There's the ref's final whistle. Hralia and Segland draw after an exciting second half throughout which the Hralians were never able to break away and secure a lead. Segland's first actual victory in the Noctur Cup is yet to come, it seems.

FULL-TIME: HRALIA 2 - 2 SEGLAND
DRAW

Footnotes

1 Seglandic labor laws prohibit women from establishing trade unions in any industry unless given express allowance from the Chancellor.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere." - Seamus Heaney

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:39 pm

This is also posted in "Once Upon a Time In Noctur", and is meant to address both the Noctur Cup and the future of the Nui-tan military. Since it isn't entirely Cup related, it won't get as high a bonus. I couldn't manage writing something separate for each topic, so this will unfortunately have to be it for Nui-ta's MD1 reaction.

"Now moving unto sports news, both the men and women's teams representing Nui-ta at the Noctur Cup have scored victories for Match Day 1. Both matches ended with Nui-ta winning by one point; the Nui-tan women's team won a difficult 2-1 victory against the women's team of Detectatia, while the men's team cruised to an easy 1-0 victory in Rahku City against Conpatria".

"In four days, the ladies will be taking on Arthuria out in Joghba, while the men's team gets ready to face off against the Detectatian men --- we here at KNN 5 of course, will be keeping up out detailed coverage of the Cup".

Rowan di-Amori found himself staring at a television, waiting for the clock to tick down to exactly 1900 hours so that he could get ready to go to the important meeting ahead. Some of the most important men and women within the Nui-tan military were going to be there: Commandants and highly respected Generals. Their co-operation would be required for the planning and initiation of this important plan.

The jest from the ceremonial role of the Emperor had faded away after the chemical strike. Although it had been a resounding success, stopping a dangerously close Hadinian battalion from making contact at the border of Zanzes and Nui-ta, it had come at great personal cost to young Rowan di-Amori. News reports raged on about how the rest of the world now condemned him as a war criminal: although in light of the actions of Nico Hass, Rowan had been forgiven slightly by some powers in Arthuria and Detectatia.

Segland and Algrabad, of course, had all but jumped down his throat regarding the bombing; Hadin's reaction was surprisingly nuanced, with Fiete Nikastro since gaining power and agreeing to not outright condemn Rowan in exchange for several diplomatic graces towards the northern island as it underwent a major transition in leadership. Radiatia --- Nui-ta's "greatest ally" --- had mostly been silent on the matter, although some private institutions tried to condemn Rowan anyway in what seemed like a marketing ploy, attempting to buy back Nui-tan arms business which had declined between the two nations in some years.

Indeed, Radiatia was a country that Rowan found himself increasingly struggling to respect. Sure, over a quarter of a century ago, when his grandfather was still in power, Radiatia had actually been a really phenomenal ally. It had rushed to Nui-ta's aid during the Hadinian War, a war which otherwise would likely have been won by Nui-ta at far greater cost. It had helped modernize and strengthen the Nui-tan economy and military. It had welcomed Nui-ta unto the international stage and extended a hand of friendship when much of Noctur was still dark.

However, as time past, the faults in the relationship grew. Rowan certainly never expected that Radiatia would continue providing aid to Nui-ta; after all, Nui-ta was now at the point of managing its economic, domestic, and military affairs on its own, as the Karasian War had shown. However, it was surprising, and somehow hurtful, that the moment Nui-ta exerted this independence, Radiatia began to condemn it.

When Nui-ta pushed its own industrial interests and domestic manufacturing initiatives forward, Radiatia bemoaned a lost market. When Nui-ta's Reshial Industries became the major supplier of the Nui-tan military, Radiatia again bemoaned a lost market. During the Karasian War, Nui-ta inquired about purchasing updated technology from Radiatia, and while Radiatian authorities seemed to imply that Nui-ta would be offered a deal to enter a contract to be supplied with TrupmaЪiin-2 tanks, those tanks were ultimately deemed unessential in a war which saw Nui-ta fighting more along the naval, airborne, and cyber fronts. The only other country to have been allowed the use of the TrupmaЪiin-2 was Higgins and Brown, before it was even released to Nui-ta, and the Higgins-Brownites disappointed in their loss to Algrabad.

Radiatia had also offered to assist with cybersecurity directly, but this empty promise seemed to go unfulfilled. Ultimately, it was Demonlonde, now retreated back into isolationism, which had assisted Nui-ta with cyber defense. Angela Pavlovic had come to Kaurizil and given an impressive ultimatum to Hadin, but this ultimatum was not heeded in the end, and it had to be Nui-ta, rather than Radiatia, who enforced the penalty --- and took the blame.

Domestically, as well, Radiatia was now being viewed more as a "side ally", or even a nuisance, among the Nui-tan people. Many complained that the radical cultural differences between the two countries made for poor business measures: Greasy Joe's took years to gain ground in Nui-ta, and Radiatian visitors to Nui-ta often complained about the lack of "Bert's Topless Coffee" --- or whatever that place was called.

"Dem there Nui-tards need to get over seeing a couple of titties out now and again!" One Radiatian redneck tourist had famously said about Nui-ta, prompting outrage among many Nui-tans, who felt that while the visitors of other countries, even Seglanders and Hadinians, had more respect for Nui-tan culture and authority than the trouble making Radiatians.

Some of it was hype --- there were plenty of Radiatians who just came to lie on a beach for a while and forget the blistering Radiatian cold --- but there was no doubt that Radiatian tourists were among the least liked of tourists visiting Nui-ta, no matter how good their money was.

In the face of an increasingly unpopular, and yet necessary, relationship, it was Rowan who was left to ponder how to clean up the mess.

This meeting would help Nui-ta take a step onwards, on their own.

"Did you see the Noctur Cup?" Commandant Coumo Ipati of the Nui-tan Elite Corps smiled quietly at the Emperor. The meeting was scheduled for 2000 hours. Both Rowan and Commandant Ipati had arrived slightly early.

"Yep," Rowan chuckled a little. "Nui-ta beat both its male and female rivals by a single goal. The women's match was particularly interesting to watch. Detectatia was definitely the tougher opponent to go up against".

"The men and the women are both feeling quite honored," Ipati mused, before sighing. "Honor is an important virtue".

"That it is," Rowan nodded. All of the Commandants were much older than the barely-past-thirty Emperor. Given that he relied on them so heavily for military advice, he felt as though he owed them the same respect as he would an elder of his family. Rowan's own father, Emperor Emeritus Nicolai di-Amori, was definitely a good father as far as Rowan's private life went --- but with the weight of an entire country on him since his coming-of-age placed on Rowan's shoulders by his "burnt-out" father, Rowan couldn't help but feel just a touch of resentment.

He distanced himself from those thoughts, returning his focus to the conversation about football and virtue with Ipati.

"There are many important virtues, you know," Ipati continued. "Honor. Faith. Strength. Loyalty. We would do well to consider these, especially the last two, in all of our decisions, great and small".

"For example, the many players within the Cup all play to bring honor to their countries. They gain strength from their arduous training, as well as the faith placed in them from their countrymen --- and they remain loyal to each other and to the rules of the game".

"I have even developed some respect for our greatest enemies while watching them on the football field. Segland's defensive, thoughtful nature is well represented in its --- as they say --- soccer team. The way they handled Hralia was admirable, even though the match was a draw at the end. Their men are quite formidable. I look forward to comparing their women to ours".

"If Hadin had sent a women's team, they'd have played against Segland. That would have been something to see," Rowan quipped.

"The Hadinians are..." Ipati sighed.

"Lemme guess, you don't like them?"

Ipati laughed. "I've a little Hadinian in me, actually. My first name, Coumo, is the only give away. It's not very much; I had a great-grandmother on my father's side who was half-Hadinian, and my mother's mother was Hadinian...but this all leads to so little that I pass for a pure Zanzeanic Nui-tan. Hell, I don't even have the eyes1 like my mother did".

"God, speaking of eyes, you should see Paolo Medici's eyes --- they scare the crap out of me," Rowan mused.

"Why? Too much amethyst? That's always unnerved me".

"His is more of a very light-tint of violet on an ice blue. It's weird".

"What strikes me as weird is the Hadinian tendency against women. Honestly, having a nation of weak women; how do you expect to embolden your sons if they're raised by timid women? Not to mention we'll always have twice the manpower than they do, because we enlist twice the genders".

"I wonder if Fiete Nikastro will be near as...er...strict, with women, as his predecessor was".

"I wonder if he's been watching more than just the Hadinian game. I've reviewed every match. Sports is not all that far from war. You can learn a lot about a nation by watching their sports teams".

He shot a serious glance at Rowan. "Those Radiatians, with their huge margins of scores. I've never seen anyone move so fast; especially not from the country that invented the "Heart Attack On A Bun".

"Radiatia is a very excessive country," Rowan said quickly. "I'm sure their athletes are just as excessive in their training as their fast-food enthusiasts are in regards to weight gain".

"Oh, I think the Radiatians are excessive, alright," Ipati said. "Excessively untrustworthy. There's just something so unnatural about the whole thing --- either their lead offensive man is going to overdo it and go into a seizure by the middle of Game 3, or they're hiding something".

"I never trusted the Radiatians, not since the day I took the Commandancy," Ipati ended. "They're all talk in war, spending lots of money and talking a lot about how great they are, but when push came to shove on this war, it was us Nui-tans who defended ourselves, and us who are paying the price. The fact that their news even dared condemn us regarding "low-quality non-Radiatian gas" is just insane; Angela Pavlovic can take her Kaurizil Address and put it right in the sh--"

"Woah, easy Commandant," Rowan snapped. "You're on duty".

The confused Commandant gave him a blank stare before cluelessly asking "...in her shredder?"

"Oh, shredder!" Rowan laughed. "Nevermind then, Commandant, carry on".

After a moment to think, the Commandant laughed before admitting, "that's an equally good place for it".

"It's just such a shame that they're based out in Hephazi. Sheriff of Noctur, setting up police precincts across the globe. They set up RF-SOUTHCOM here in Nui-ta, out in San Dhohra, demand that we "dirty foreigners" make do without a return base in Radiatia, and then they don't even have the decency to come out here when there's a war going on right next to their precious little ---"

"Commandant".

"Yes sir?"

"This meeting I've called: I wanted to discuss with you an upcoming executive order I'm running through the Judiciary right now".

"Yes sir?"

"Executive Order 136:10. If not overruled by the Judiciary, it will force the closure of San Dhohra".

The Commandant stared at Rowan incredulously for a moment, before saying, "....but...Radiatian Federation's SOUTHCOM".

"A Zanzeanic base fell into the hands of Segland and Hadin during the Karasian War. This base was built with Nui-tan co-operation (since the Zanze couldn't tell an automatic pistol from a rifle) using older models and technologies which are still present in some of the older military bases like San Dhohra".

"You mean to tell me our own technology has been compromised?"

"Nothing classified. Like I said though, the Zanze couldn't tell a pistol from a rifle, so we gave them blueprints from our oldest bases. We did omit any classified information, of course, so it's not like the Zanze were sitting on trade secrets or anything. That having been said, older, more antiquated bases like San Dhohra look similar to the base that fell in Northern Zanzes".

"Even though San Dhohra and some of the other bases still have protected classified operations which were not compromised, the fact that the Seglanders have anything that looks even close to it, means that I don't want to take the chance --- so San Dhohra is set to slowly cease operations over the next couple of years and transition functionality to San Miletia until Hephazi's new central command, San Hajmani reaches operational status".

"Of course, San Hajmani will be a very top-of-the-line important naval institution, with key classified operations involving our existing status quo with Hadin. These classified operations are even above the level of clearance extended to RF-SOUTHCOM, and I'm not willing to see that compromised either --- as a result, the Executive Order also sets forth provisions to contact Radiatia and diplomatically tell them that they need to move their combatant command".

Ipati sighed, a bit of frustration evident in the lowness of his voice. "So, which base are they moving to? God, don't tell me...San Talsankir?"

Rowan gulped. "Er....no".

"San Miletia?"

"Nope".

"Please tell me they aren't going to San Kalisto or San Gajin".

"Hell no, especially not San Gajin. That's the highest-level base we have whose basic operations aren't classified".

"...so, where are we moving them?"

Rowan sighed. "Nowhere. We don't have a place for them to go, but they can't stay in San Dhohra since that area will be shut down and de-militarized".

"Wait, we're telling the Radiatians to leave?!"

"...yeah. We are. Well, not like that, of course --- we're telling them (and this is true) that we don't have a place to put them, so they'll have to find a place for themselves. They have two years to shut down RF-SOUTHCOM's general operations, and a little extra time up for negotiation for some more specific stuff. It's too bad, too. The Ministry of Defense is going to miss the funds paid for rent by Radiatia".

"...why not San Talsankir, again?"

"It's the only public military installation in the country; we let high school children unto parts of the base to show them that their time in conscription won't be so bad --- I doubt either Radiatia nor we want to mix them into it".

"Fair. San Gaj---wait, you explained that one. San Kalisto?"

"...will be slated for much heavier armaments, given that it'll be our major base on the mainland and vital for expanding into what's left of Zanzes; Executive Order 136:11, if I don't shelve it for a while, is supposed to officially grant South Zanzes entrance into the Empire as a sovereign state, which means there are going to be more military bases out there".

"We're building more bases out there?"

"Kinda, sorta. I'll explain that later. Anyway, we need San Kalisto to remain untouched while it develops further; so Radiatia can't go there".

"San Miletia?"

"...will be taking on all the work from San Dhohra and doesn't need to be babysitting Radiatia as well".

"San Jarahi?"

"...also getting shut down, and San Ushibria has the same problem that San Miletia has, only involving San Jarahi. Then you have San Nimalya, which will be assisting both San Miletia and San Ushibria with their impending overload. San Akuamili is getting shut down too, but just because it's been deemed too costly to run, so there won't be a replacement".

Ipati gulped. "I think I'm running out of major bases".

"It's possible that Zanzes will be interested in letting Radiatia set up shop there for RFSOUTHCOM; if they do, I'll let them handle it. If not, well...that's not our problem".

Rowan looked up at the clock. 1955 hours. The Commandant of the Army could be seen approaching. The Naval and Air Force Commandants were likely not far behind.

He smiled.

"Enough military talk. We have a whole meeting starting in five minutes for that. Back to sports. Don't you think it's weird how many Sangauranic and Alinian players there are?"

1Hadinians are known for having strikingly colored eyes, usually violet, but occasionally a very pale blue or gray. This is inherent to a form of albinism that is endemic in the country. The violet is known to appear even in people with only partial Hadinian ancestry, although less so per generation as someone is removed from that ancestry.

Varisea
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Varisea » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:08 am

Varisean Central News Network

Browse | Breaking News | New | Politics | Foreign Affairs | Military | Business | Entertainment | Top

Username

Men’s Team Advances in Noctur Cup!
Written by Filipp Victorovich Spanov, VCNN.
Varisea's National Men's Team.

NUI-TA- The National Men’s football team won a resounding victory against Hadin in the first round of the Noctur Cup, the most prestigious sporting event in the world not hosted by Varisea. The incredible but not at all surprising victory has pushed them up in the rankings, and is further proof of the superiority of the Varisean people. This is only the latest of triumphs for our great nation after the glorious Karkasian War, which former Chanceller Muller of Segland described as “…UN-…winnable… without the…support… of… Varisea.”

And while all of the players should take pride in contributing equally to our glorious victory, there is one player in particular who contributed far more equally than the rest- team Captain Rayner Okan. Born during a solar eclipse as a phoenix sung overhead, Okan has already made his mark as the greatest Varisean Football player who ever lived. With his inspirational leadership, incredible athleticism, and perfect silky smooth hair that I just want to run my hands through as he quick thinking the Men’s team managed to mop the floor with their opponents (not literally- metaphorically).

The final score was 5-2, a resounding victory made even sweeter by the fact that literally every single goal was scored by Okan. The sight of him racing towards his target, flying by the defenders, his muscles rippling- oh yeah and the other team members also contributed, mainly by passing the ball to Okan so that he could score. Reyes was also on the field, probably being an asshole like usual.

No doubt Varisea is in for even more victories in the future, and I for one simply cannot wait for the next bout. This year is our moment to shine, and no matter what happens next any excuse for Okan to be on TV is good for me.

Also the women’s team lost. Whatever.

Artists depiction of Rayner Okan.

In Other News:
Hass Tribunal Starting Soon...
Rayner Okan voted Sexiest Varisean Alive...
Varisean Ministry of Foreign Affairs urgently updating maps...
News Novices Noticing New News Notions (OR: why all the alliteration?)...

Comments:
Guest123: GLORY TO VARISEa!!1
120 | 82 Like! Dislike! Share! Report!

SedianPrinz: I don’t even know how to play football but watched the whole thing hoping Okan would take his shirt off.
999 | 1 Like! Dislike! Share! Report!

OrangoTango111: Okan can kick a football into next Friday- and score.
802 | 16 Like! Dislike! Share! Report!
Higgins and Brown: "Time to Purge Var, time to purge."
Napkiraly wrote:Still too violent. Rocks and scissors can encourage violent competitive behaviour and reinforce toxic masculinity.

USS Monitor wrote:I think this thread is already an RP. It's so disconnected from reality.

Luna Amore wrote:That title makes me want to vomit with rage.

The first Galactic Republic wrote: When you mentioned patriarchy out of nowhere, I realized that the human process had been lost.
Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67
Libertarian (Center) Leftist, Secular Humanist
More than you ever wanted to know about america's foreign policy

Higgins and Brown
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Higgins and Brown » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:35 pm

"...and we go first to Group C. Olé D. Mann was spotted in the grounds and my producer is telling me his language when we caught up with him was too course for television."

Higgins & Brown vs. Poldania

A very disappointing game from two teams that promised much in front of goal. A suprising lack of cohesion up front for Higgins & Brown saw their striking duo barely get a touch of the ball for the first half hour. In the 35th minute, Yorn injured his ankle after landing awkwardly from a headed attempt. He was replaced by Steeling at half-time.

For Poldania too, there was upset and annoyance as their midfield failed to connect to their strikers, and passes were sent astray without real pressure having been applied. By half-time, the game seemed to have an aimlessness about it.

Poldania responded best in the second half, putting attacks together in the style that had been expected earlier. Philip Finn is lucky not to get a red card for a foul just inside the area in the 61st minute. The penalty is not converted however, and Shinze Masuko appeared to have saved the day with that save!

At the other end, in a brief flurry of inspired play, Celsi slots the ball past the keeper and into the net, but it is rightly disallowed - he was only given the space because Rógo Mar had just clattered into the defender tracking back. The Higgins-Brownites looked like they had one coherent move in them, and that was it.

It wasn't until the 77th minute that the only goal of the match finally came, via a Poldanian counter-attack down the right flank. Rúni Spencer will rue his mistake in letting a series of Poldanian one-twos take him out of the game momentarily, and cut a gaping hole in the Higgins-Brownite defence. One on one, Masuki couldn't repeat his earlier heroics, and the ball thumped into the back of the net for Higgins-Brownite heartache.

HIGGINS & BROWN 0-1 POLDANIA

Meanwhile in Group F (coming soon...)

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Match Day 2

Group A

Hralia vs Arthuria, male teams (3-5)
Algrabad vs Segland, male teams (1-0)

MD2 RANKINGS
1 Algrabad 2 2 0 0 2 0 +2 6
2 Arthuria 2 1 0 1 5 4 +1 3
3 Segland 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1
4 Hralia 2 0 1 1 5 7 -2 1

1 Algrabad 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
2 Hralia 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
2 Segland 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
3 Arthuria 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0

Group B

Nui-ta vs Detectatia, male teams (2-0)
Radiatia vs Conpatria, male teams (7-2)

MD2 RANKINGS
1 Radiatia 2 2 0 0 13 3 +10 6
2 Nui-ta 2 2 0 0 1 0 +3 6
3 Conpatria 2 0 0 2 2 8 -6 0
4 Detectatia 2 0 0 2 1 8 -7 0

1 Radiatia 1 1 0 0 6 1 +5 3
2 Nui-ta 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
3 Conpatria 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0
4 Detectatia 1 0 0 1 1 6 -5 0

Group C

Poldania vs Varisea, male teams (1-0)
Hadin vs Higgins and Brown, male teams (1-0)

MD2 RANKINGS
1 Poldania 2 2 0 0 2 0 +2 6
2 Varisea 2 1 0 1 5 3 +2 3
3 Hadin 2 1 0 1 3 5 -2 3
4 Higgins and Brown 2 0 0 2 0 2 -2 0

1 Varisea 1 1 0 0 5 2 +3 3
2 Poldania 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
3 Higgins and Brown 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0
4 Hadin 1 0 0 1 2 5 -3 0

Group D

Algrabad vs Radiatia, female teams (2-4)
Varisea vs Hralia, female teams (3-2)

MD2 RANKINGS
1 Radiatia 2 2 0 0 10 4 +6 6
2 Hralia 2 1 0 1 5 4 +1 3
3 Varisea 2 1 0 1 5 8 -3 3
4 Algrabad 2 0 0 2 3 7 -4 0

1 Radiatia 1 1 0 0 6 2 +4 3
2 Hralia 1 1 0 0 3 1 +2 3
3 Algrabad 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0
4 Varisea 1 0 0 1 2 6 -4 0

Group E

Conpatria vs Segland, female teams (0-1)
Higgins and Brown (unopposed)

MD2 RANKINGS
Group E (female teams only)    Pld    W    D    L    GF    GA     GD    Pts.
2 Segland 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
3 Conpatria 2 0 0 2 0 3 -3 0

2 Conpatria 1 0 0 1 0 2 -2 0
3 Segland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Group F

Nui-ta vs Arthuria, female teams (1-5)
Poldania vs Detectatia, female teams (2-3)

MD2 RANKINGS
1 Arthuria 2 2 0 0 7 2 +5 6
2 Detectatia 2 1 0 1 4 4 0 3
3 Nui-ta 2 1 0 1 3 6 -3 3
4 Poldania 2 0 0 2 3 5 -2 0

1 Nui-ta 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
1 Arthuria 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
2 Detectatia 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
2 Poldania 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0

All Male Rankings               Pld     W     D     L     GF     GA     GD   Pts.
2 Nui-ta 2 2 0 0 1 0 +3 6
3 Poldania 2 2 0 0 2 0 +2 6
4 Algrabad 2 2 0 0 2 0 +2 6
5 Varisea 2 1 0 1 5 3 +2 3
6 Arthuria 2 1 0 1 5 4 +1 3
7 Hadin 2 1 0 1 3 5 -2 3
8 Segland 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1
9 Hralia 2 0 1 1 5 7 -2 1
10 Higgins and Brown 2 0 0 2 0 2 -2 0
11 Conpatria 2 0 0 2 2 8 -6 0
12 Detectatia 2 0 0 2 1 8 -7 0

All Female Rankings             Pld     W     D     L     GF     GA     GD   Pts.
2 Arthuria 2 2 0 0 7 2 +5 6
3 Higgins and Brown 1 1 0 0 2 0 +2 3
4 Hralia 2 1 0 1 5 4 +1 3
5 Segland 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
6 Detectatia 2 1 0 1 4 4 0 3
7 Varisea 2 1 0 1 5 8 -3 3
8 Nui-ta 2 1 0 1 3 6 -3 3
9 Poldania 2 0 0 2 3 3 -2 0
10 Conpatria 2 0 0 2 0 3 -3 0
11 Algrabad 2 0 0 2 3 7 -4 0
Last edited by Nui-ta on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Segland
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Segland » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Tarhanaji Park, Rahku City

"THERE'S THE WHISTLE, AND WE WRAP UP ONE OF THE MOST STRENUOUS GAMES I'VE EVER SEEN! ALGRABADI BRUTE FORCE HAS TRIUMPHED IN THE END!"

Those words rang in the heads of the Seglandic players as they marched off the field and to their locker rooms. They had been all class as they shook hands with the Algrabadis after the match, but now in the company of other Seglanders, some of them were beginning to let off steam. It mattered not that the match had been played impressively by both sides.

"Towelheaded clods," sneered Finn Stump as he walked with Yatatsopolk Krameir, his fellow defender. If anyone on the relatively well-groomed Seglandic team could be called a troublemaker, it had to be Finn. His fouling of the Hralian striker on MD1 had been the event that cost Segland the victory, and the consequent guilt was making him far surlier than usual.

Then again, what did one expect from people who were told that they were the best athletes of the best race from the best nation in the world? The Seglanders' politeness and geniality expressed toward foreigners was, in most cases, little more than a socialized mask to obscure the deep-running savagery that had characterized their country ever since the Mardish tribal wars of antiquity. The nonchalant easiness with which the Demarchist Party committed mass numbers of soldiers to far-removed wars like the ones in Algrabad and Karas only reflected this.

"And to think we covered their asses in that war that they started," Krameir commiserated, shaking his head.

Finn laughed a bit as he said, "Plus the matriarchy crap -- it's no wonder their whole country is a communist cesspool."

Varlam Isidor, one of the team's starting midfielders, came up alongside them. "I toured Algrabad during the war," he informed them. "It's not terrible there, Finn. They have the best coffee I've ever tasted."

"Half the world's coffee beans are grown there, man! If we had that kind of production in Segland, I can guarantee you, the premium coffee blends would all be Seglandic," declared Finn.

"Nothing beats good ole Sechlende lager, though," Krameir reminded them.1

"I hear the Arthurians have been enjoying the opportunity to get their hands on it," said Finn. "And hey, speaking of Seglandic lager..."

The team members entered into the locker rooms, where there was waiting an assemblage of people ranging from Melodian guides to masseuses. An oak cask from which several players were already imbibing rested in the middle of the room. The adjoining chambers were prepped with young Nui-tan escorts making their final postmatch preparations. A dour-faced man leaned silently in the corner, and neither Finn nor any of his teammates knew who the man was, despite his presence virtually wherever they went.

Before any of the players could get changed and start acquainting themselves with the Nui-tan escorts, Head Coach Myelnow Krakesçu (affectionately called "The Kraken" due to his intimidating stature) strutted into the locker room and immediately began yelling.

"HELL OF A GOOD THING WE'RE DONE PLAYING THOSE BRUTES, AT LEAST FOR A WHILE." It could be amusing how Krakesçu habitually shouted everything he said, whether it was an insult, a compliment, or a totally neutral statement. This time, as usual, he was opening his defeat talk with a sardonic remark.

"I WANT OUR NEXT GAME TO BE A WIN. THAT WAY, WE'LL HAVE ACHIEVED A PERFECT HAT-TRICK: DRAW, LOSS, AND WIN." The players chuckled a bit. "AND, OF COURSE, WE'LL THEN ADVANCE TO EITHER THE QUALIFIER OR THE PLAYOFFS. THAT IS A SUCCESS WE OWE TO THE PEOPLE OF SEGLAND, MANY OF WHICH ARE FIGHTING A BRUTAL WAR AGAINST THE POLDANIAN MENACE -- AND WE MUST DELIVER."

Cheers of "aye" and "we'll get 'em, Coach" rose from the team members, some of whom were simultaneously receiving shoulder massages and swigging beer.

"ALRIGHT, THEN. LET'S EAT." The Kraken strutted back out of the locker room and was followed by the unidentified man in the corner. No sooner had the door shut than half the players scrambled for the escorts with all the intensity one would expect at the start of a soccer match.

Footnotes
1 Seschespek for the famed "Seglandic lager". Although the formal adjective for Segland is Sechlendische, Seschespek nouns are often used as adjectives in an informal setting (and in a few other cases), as is done here with Sechlende.

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Honour is but personal dignity, a sense of one's worth as a human being. It is the most natural of all virtues for its antithesis, shame, is felt by even the youngest of children as though nursed in the womb. Indeed, shame has been nursed in the womb of the first of mothers: Eve. Shame is the true testament of the fruit of knowledge plucked against God's will and it clings to us all. We cannot hide the shame in our hearts, and so we seek to honour ourselves in everything we do. For like the scar on a tree, shame does not diminish with age but grows.

The Nui-tans did not dishonour themselves. Their play had been a demonstration of courage and tenacity; they did what was right in confronting the Arthurian women at every turn and continued to do so to the very end. That they had scored their goal after a ferocious attack in extra time was evidence of this. For every run made by an Arthurian, a Nui-tan charge was not far in coming. For every tackle inflicted by the visitors, the hosts made their own interception (often far more gracefully too). At the judgement, what had won the game for the White Tigers, or so their captain believed, was that they had more women in the offence. Their rugby heritage compelled them to accompany attacks with a concerted team push into the opposition territory so that when the ball reached the goal, there were always four or five players working with one another to pull a hole in the enemy defence and breach it with a mad dash. That the mens' team was unable to get the ball into the goal-scoring area at all was their downfall.

So when the final whistle blew and the tension visibly melted from the shoulders of the players, it was with the utmost respect that the Arthurians found their counterparts on the field and offered them hands of consolation.

Jan Sørendotar, the defender and captain of the Arthurian team, found Jaya a-Rao holding her position in defence. She reached out a hand, holding back from her natural instinct to hug the Nui-tan after remembering the cultural briefing she had been given before arriving in the more restrained country.

"It was an honour to play with so formidable a team and so welcoming a host." She said, smiling as graciously as a victor could at that time and bowing her head in thanks. They began to walk off the pitch, but before the two took their separate paths, Jannie made sure to ask, "Please, I would like to invite your team to join ours for a tea ceremony tomorrow. We would be privileged to share this tradition with you."

She departed, rejoining the all-black line heading into the changing rooms. The more energetic were lingering on the field to talk to coaches or one another. They were mostly reserves or red-carded players. By international standards the Arthurian women had picked up quite some penalty, losing two players to red cards in the minutes before and after half time. The midfielders Røsin Kristiandotar and Runaær Manus had both been charged with overt aggression, having dangerously tackled too many Nui-tan players. While the offensive tactics carried over from rugby appeared to be benefiting the team, the desire to make contact with the opponents was a bad habit which needed to be culled before the next match against Detectatia, Arthuria's historic sporting rivals. Jannie knew this, and suspected the head coach would be giving a lecture on the subject. They would not hear it now though, for unlike the mens' team, the women were given the time to cool down, stretch their muscles and clean up after their games. The team talk would be later that evening, just before their first horn.

"Here." Anders Vestergard placed a lager in front of Jan. "A congratulations from me." He smiled broadly at Jannie and Stinar, pleased both at their victory over Nui-ta and his own team's close shave against Hralia, and took a seat at their table. The Arthurian teams had crowded into one bar, eager to celebrate together in the interim period before the next match; the men, having played earlier than the women, had flown to Joghba for the day. A long way to go for a drink, but worth the ardour.

"Don't be silly Anders! I'll get your next drink."

"No, I refuse." He winked at her. "It's not a gift if it comes with obligations. Besides," said he, glancing over to the dance floor, "Odin's having a good time; so you should too."

Odin was starting a traditional Arthurian dance and gathering a decent crowd in the process. He was out of time with the music but was good enough for the onlookers not to care. In seconds, he was joined by two others from the mens' team.

"Are you asking me to dance, Anders?"

He let out a sharp laugh. "No, I'm afraid I can't dance."

"You can't play football either." Stinar interjected.

"Oh really? Alright, let's get up there. I'll show you a dancer. If you would care to join me, Jan?" Anders finished his drink in two gulps, stood, and held his hand out to Jan. She had already downed the drink which he had bought for her and skipped up, accompanying Anders to the dance floor.

Arthurian folk dances are known as hopur1. The name comes from the verb hop, meaning 'to jump'. This is a particularly appropriate term, for they incorporate more acrobatics than they do dancing style. Their free-flowing form, improvisational nature and sheer energy make them fantastic accompaniments to a night out, though, and once started they quickly draw in all around them. Odin had already attracted a crowd by the time Anders and Jan reached the dance floor, and his hopur was developing into a fierce battle between himself and another dancer. Each was trying to out-do the other with a mightier display of gymnastics, and with every escalation the crowd was more and more entertained.

Before they could rush into the dance themselves, Andreas and Jannie were held back by Kristian, one of their teammates, who bid them wait. He had a pool cue in one hand, which he flung over to Odin whose hand was already outstretched in anticipation. He caught it and, with a sly grin to his opponent, got into position. He clutched it horizontally with both hands, bending over slightly and flexing his knees in some form of preparation. The crowd began to clap a beat, slow and steady. As the music in the background geared up, Odin twisted his torso to one side and then flung it in the opposite direction, using the momentum this created to jump clear off the ground. The effect was magnificent. It was as if his entire body rotated around a central point, his feet travelling a full circle before they touched down on the ground again, and the pool cue staying almost parallel to the ground. The move was repeated so that it seemed as if he was flying around a circle on the floor, his feet only briefly grazing the ground before he had hurled himself further along his route. After traversing the dance floor in this manner for a good few seconds, Odin ended his routine with a triumphant flourish and a daring grin towards the crowd, challenging anyone to go up against him. The rhythmic clapping had already erupted into sheer applause.

Anders leant in towards Jan. "So, let's see what you can do."

She took to the floor. Anyone who entered the arena was sure to be treated with a cheer from the crowd; they were happy to see anyone keep the hopur alive. Perhaps more than she had felt in the Panorama Centre, Jan was aware of the pressure building. The cheer had regressed into that slow, rhythmic clapping of anticipation. The people wanted to see something impressive. She psyched herself up.

Jan held her chin up, stretching her neck and bringing her feet together. She raised her arms so that they were perfectly straight. It was a graceful move, though the serenity with which she completed it was a lie as to what the rest of the move had to offer. On the beat of one of the crowd's claps, Jan launched herself into the air, jumping to quite a height. Halfway through her upward journey, she brought her knees upwards, keeping her feet tucked in behind her, and flung her legs to one side so that they pulled her entire body around with them. As she leapt, she completed one full revolution mid-air, landing with absolute certainty and typically delicate precision. Without pausing to realign, she repeated the move again...and again, and again. And then once more. This she continued for a full thirty seconds, perfectly in time with the beat laid down by the crowd (even as the clapping got gradually faster and faster) until they could take it no more and the thunderous applause signalled her time to stop.

Before Jan had even left the dance floor, Anders was stepping in. He teased the crowd more than the others had; he looked a few of his closer friends in the eye, smirking, daring them to imagine what it was he would be performing. As the rhythm of the clap returned to its steady beat and the bar's music gained in volume, he suddenly dropped to the floor. He was squatting on one leg, crossing the other in front so that the side of one foot was resting on the top of the other. He proceeded to twist his torso (making sure to keep his head perfectly still, though) fully to the left, forcing the legs to switch position so that the foot which had before been resting atop the other was now squarely on the floor and supporting the outside of the other foot. The knee of that leg buckled down to the floor, providing the momentum which he used to flip the entire process into reverse. He did the exact same, twisting to the right and reversing the position of the legs again, and this he did every time the crowd clapped. After every five of these manoeuvres he would jump up, just enough to allow the non-supporting leg to extend fully straight, and fling his arms out open. The move brought great joy to the crowd, but as with all the moves of the hopur, it was over before long, a victim of tiredness. Anders subbed out for the womens' forward, Min. He and Jan retreated back to the bar, a little short of breath but in good spirits. They were still laughing slightly as they continued their conversation.

"You lied. You can dance." Jan goaded.

"I didn't lie; I simply did not know. Now I have found out: I can dance."

"It's a shame you can't play football though."

"Well," he considered for a second, waiting for the barman, "if I were good at everything, you wouldn't have a chance to tease me now would you?"

Jan laughed. Tomorrow, she knew that training awaited. Their coach had tried to make amends for the team's ignorance of football tactics by inflicting upon them a rigorous fitness schedule. They all understood its value, but on that night they were content to partake the baser joys that life had to offer. In this obscure corner of a faraway country, they had created their own home. At the very least, they would abide in it for the night.

1 A hopur is comprised of dance moves similar to Cossack Dancing, but is performed to music akin to this.
Last edited by The Arthurian Isles on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Match Day 3

Group A

Hralia vs Algrabad, male teams (0-1)
Arthuria vs Segland, male teams (1-0)

MD3 RANKINGS
1 Algrabad 3 3 0 0 3 0 +3 9
2 Arthuria 3 2 0 1 6 4 +2 6
3 Segland 3 0 1 2 2 4 -2 1
4 Hralia 3 0 1 2 5 8 -3 1

1 Algrabad 2 2 0 0 2 0 +2 6
2 Arthuria 2 1 0 1 5 4 +1 3
3 Segland 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1
4 Hralia 2 0 1 1 5 7 -2 1

Advancing to playoffs: Algrabad, Arthuria
Advancing to qualifier: Segland
Eliminated: Hralia

Group B

Nui-ta vs Radiatia, male teams (1-4)
Detectatia vs Conpatria, male teams (2-0)

MD3 FINAL RANKINGS
1 Nui-ta 2 2 0 0 3 0 +3 6
2 Detectatia 2 1 0 1 2 2 0 3

1 Radiatia 3 3 0 0 17 4 +13 9
2 Nui-ta 3 2 0 1 4 4 0 6
3 Detectatia 3 1 0 2 3 8 -5 3
4 Conpatria 3 0 0 3 2 10 -8 0

2 Nui-ta 2 2 0 0 3 0 +3 6
3 Conpatria 2 0 0 2 2 8 -6 0
4 Detectatia 2 0 0 2 1 8 -7 0

Advancing to playoffs: Nui-ta
Advancing to qualifier: Conpatria, Detectatia
Eliminated:Radiatia (for cheating)

Group C

Poldania vs Hadin, male teams (3-2)
Varisea vs Higgins and Brown, male teams (0-1)

MD3 RANKINGS
1 Poldania 3 3 0 0 5 2 +3 9
2 Varisea 3 1 0 2 5 4 +1 3
3 Higgins and Brown 3 1 0 2 1 2 -1 3
4 Hadin 3 1 0 2 5 8 -3 3

]1 Poldania 2 2 0 0 2 0 +2 6
2 Varisea 2 1 0 1 5 3 +2 3
3 Hadin 2 1 0 1 3 5 -2 3
4 Higgins and Brown 2 0 0 2 0 2 -2 0

[spoiler=Group C post MD3 results]
Advancing to playoffs: Poldania, Varisea
Advancing to qualifier: Higgins and Brown
Eliminated:Hadin

Group D

Varisea vs. Algrabad, female teams (6-2)
Hralia vs. Radiatia, female teams (2-6)

MD3 FINAL RANKINGS
1 Varisea 2 2 0 0 9 4 +5 6
3 Algrabad 2 0 0 2 1 11 -10 0

1 Radiatia 3 3 0 0 16 6 +10 9
2 Varisea 3 2 0 1 11 10 -1 6
3 Hralia 3 1 0 2 7 10 -3 3
4 Algrabad 3 0 0 3 5 13 -8 0

3 Varisea 2 1 0 1 5 8 -3 3
4 Algrabad 2 0 0 2 3 7 -4 0

Advancing to playoffs: Varisea, Hralia
Advancing to qualifier: Algrabad
Eliminated:Radiatia (for cheating)

Group E

Segland vs. Higgins and Brown, female teams (1-2)
Conpatria (unopposed)

MD3 RANKINGS
1 Higgins and Brown 2 2 0 0 4 1 +3 6
2 Segland 2 1 0 1 2 2 0 3

2 Segland 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3

Advancing to playoffs: Higgins and Brown
Advancing to qualifier: Conpatria, Segland
Eliminated:none

Group F

Nui-ta vs Poldania, female teams (5-2)
Poldania vs Detectatia, female teams (2-3)

MD3 RANKINGS
1 Arthuria 3 3 0 0 9 3 +6 6
2 Nui-ta 3 2 0 1 8 8 0 6
3 Detectatia 3 1 0 2 5 6 0 3
4 Poldania 3 0 0 3 5 10 -5 0

1 Arthuria 2 2 0 0 7 2 +5 6
2 Detectatia 2 1 0 1 4 4 0 3
3 Nui-ta 2 1 0 1 3 6 -3 3
4 Poldania 2 0 0 2 3 5 -2 0

[spoiler=Group F post MD3 results]Advancing to playoffs: Arthuria, Nui-ta
Advancing to qualifier: Detectatia
Eliminated:Poldania

All Male Rankings               Pld     W     D     L     GF     GA     GD   Pts.
1 Poldania 3 3 0 0 5 2 +3 9
2 Algrabad 3 3 0 0 3 0 +3 9
3 Nui-ta 2 2 0 0 3 0 +3 6
4 Arthuria 3 2 0 1 6 4 +2 6
5 Varisea 3 1 0 2 5 4 +1 3
6 Detectatia 2 1 0 1 2 2 0 3
7 Higgins and Brown 3 1 0 2 1 2 -1 3
8 Hadin 3 1 0 2 5 8 -3 3
9 Segland 3 0 1 2 2 4 -2 1
10 Hralia 3 0 1 2 5 8 -3 1
11 Conpatria 2 0 0 2 0 3 -3 0
12 Radiatia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

All Female Rankings             Pld     W     D     L     GF     GA     GD   Pts.
1 Arthuria 3 3 0 0 9 3 +6 9
2 Varisea 2 2 0 0 9 4 +5 6
3 Higgins and Brown 2 2 0 0 4 1 +3 6
4 Nui-ta 3 2 0 1 8 8 0 6
5 Hralia 2 1 0 1 5 4 +1 3
6 Segland 2 1 0 1 2 2 0 3
7 Detectatia 3 1 0 2 5 6 -1 3
8 Conpatria 2 0 0 2 0 3 -3 0
9 Poldania 3 0 0 3 5 10 -5 0
10 Algrabad 2 0 0 2 1 11 -10 0
11 Radiatia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Breaking Announcement from Noctur Cup authorities:

All teams participating in the Noctur Cup may remember a recent health-checkup conducted by N.C authorities after concerns of dehydration among foreign athletes during the harsh Nui-tan summer months. This health-check included a urinalysis panel to confirm or rule out the presence of dehydration in each individual athlete.

After urinalysis panels revealed the possibility of illegal substance abuse by Radiatian athletes among both the male and female teams, more thorough analysis was requested by N.C judges to rule out mistakes in testing (and allow Radiatia to contest the allegations).

Due to unsatisfactory results for the follow-up test, both the male and female Radiatian teams have been eliminated from the Noctur Cup. All matches in which they played have been ruled invalid. The rankings, win/loss records, and total goal record of any team who played against a Radiatian team have been adjusted to reflect the invalidation of all matches in which Radiatia was involved. Further, the disqualification of Radiatia from Groups B and D have resulted in immunity from elimination for the next-lowest teams in each group, both of whom would have otherwise been eliminated.

In accordance with the "breach of sportsmanship" clause within the Noctur Cup contract, Radiatia's sporting authorities or other valid athletic agency will be fined the appropriate amount pending further review of this major rule violation, or face further repercussion up to and including legal fees for "breach of contract", and/or restrictions on enrollment in future cycles of the Noctur Cup.

Further, in co-operation with Arthuria's T+P organization, all profits gained from the first Noctur Cup will be donated to the Zanzeanic reconstruction effort.
Last edited by Nui-ta on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Segland
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Segland » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Tarhanaji Park locker rooms

The Kraken was in full tirade mode as the silent, unidentifiable man who seemed to be with the team wherever it officially went floated into the room, his face showing a shocking degree of emotion: a barely down-turned lip. He managed to go entirely unnoticed as he walked up to the Kraken and tapped him on the shoulder, and it was only after the Kraken stopped yelling that anyone became aware of the other man's presence.

Covering his moving lips with his hand, he said something to the Kraken that made him noticeably paler. The Kraken looked over to the players, said timidly, "Excuse me," and left the room. Seconds of silence followed. It was like eternity in the always-exuberant Seglandic locker room.

The unidentifiable man took his time in yawning and finally addressed the audience of players before him. "Boys," he said in a squeaky voice, "we have decided it is time to drastically alter your regimen. Say goodbye to days of massages and hookers after a match; such decadent privileges will be restored to you only if you bring our nation victory in this Cup. Practices are now extended an hour per day, and a different man will be coaching you. You understand that your final chance for redemption is coming up? Segland's history has been one of cyclical fall and redemption; let us hope for your sake that history repeats itself here."

The man looked at each of the players. "Well then," he announced, "I give to you your new coach, L. Samuel Jackson." He fell back to his usual haunt in the corner of the room, and the door swung open to permit a colossus of a man. He was black, likely originating in southwest Segland, the only place outside major metropolitan areas where non-white Seglanders could be found. The deep tones of his voice made him seem extra authoritative in contrast to his high-pitched introducer.

All the team members gave an enthusiastic round of applause to their new coach. There was no sign of racism, for color racism had never really been a problem in Segland -- it was much more an issue of one's blood and descent.

"Why thank you, thank you," said L. Samuel Jackson through a grin. "I coached for several clubs once upon a time, including my home team of Clubo Callei." Dmitri Ganstafischet interjected a "hell yeah!" at this.

"Some of you may also know my son, Tyrone J'Marcus Jackson. A real, uh, adventurous guy," Jackson said.

"Tyrone's my homie!" said Varlam Isidor, and a few others nodded their heads vigorously.

"Hey, I feel like I've seen you in a movie or two," Finn Stump said to Jackson.

Jackson laughed. "No, that would be my cousin. He's a motherfucking good actor. Always gave him the upper hand when we were getting interrogated by one of our moms for doing some stupid shit, though," he reminisced. The players found this quite funny.

"So, Coach, you're really givin' us another hour of practice each day? I mean, what difference could it actually make?" asked striker Halldor Hummel.

This question made Jackson turn serious. "Here's the deal," he explained. "We're not losing because we have a dearth of skill or talent. I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said we're the most talented team at this Cup. But none of that means jack if we're being complacent and lazy and extravagant. Guys, I can at least understand this loss to Arthuria from a strategic standpoint. Differing strategies don't justify your losses to Algrabad and Hralia, though. Those were games we should have won. Got it? We shouldn't be in this qualifier in the first place. But now that we are, we'd damn well better win and get to the playoffs."

Stump shifted a bit on his bench. Ganstafischet grunted in agreement to Jackson and said, "Coach's got a point. I say it's time to get serious."

"Exactly. The added practice time should make you re-evaluate your worth as a player -- it should make you value it more, and work harder. Believe me, it won't push you past the breaking point. It will get us where we need to be to win this qualifier. No more screwing around, everyone got it?" Jackson said.

"Got it," replied most everyone in the room.

"Time to prove it, then. Dismissed."

The locker room returned to a bustle of virile movement. All the teammates had much to discuss about the momentous events of the day set off by the loss to Arthuria. Everything seemed typical again, but subliminally, there was a definite change in attitude among the players. L. Samuel Jackson had inspired them.

It was crunch time for the Seglandic national soccer team.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports