NATION

PASSWORD

Electrum and Ceni Bid for WC 76

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Electrum and Ceni Bid for WC 76

Postby Ceni » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:34 pm

About the Terranean Team

The Republic of Ceni is a tiny speck of land just off the coast of Electrum in the Terranean area of Rushmore, close to New Gelderland, Electrum, and Eura. Its major city and capital is Cenial, and other major cities include New Oxford and City Centre, but a good portion of Ceni is covered with one huge agglomeration of cities. Its economy is a service-based economy, especially financial services and trade, with major contributions by pharmaceuticals, research and development, technology (biotech and information technology especially), and real estate. A good part of its energy comes from wind turbines, solar power, and tidal power, and Ceni is known for its eco-friendly populace and green atmosphere. Several major Rushmori firms are based in the Cenial business district, including Air Terranea, Telluric Pharmaceuticals, Endais Chemicals, Selaphoros (an oil company), Solar Solutions, Pharos Media Group, and the world-wide Cityscapes architecture company. Many of these companies serve the large Euran market, which is quite close by, exporting high-tech, high-expertise products, and maintaining a trade surplus with one of the world's largest economies. Cenial International Airport is a hub for Air Terranea, which flies to almost 300 destinations throughout the world, and New Oxford International Airport adds to Ceni's international air transport capacity. Ferry services also link Ceni with Eura and Electrum. On the culture scene, Cenial is widely regarded as a highly cultured and diverse city, with large Avaerilonian, Euran, Electrumite, Hispanic, Endemian, Asian, and other populations, and it supports a vibrant food and arts scene. Football-wise, Ceni has 'enjoyed' a long spell of poor results in World Cup competitions, dating from World Cup 67 and Baptism of Fire 54, before finally qualifying for the World Cup in World Cup 73, where they notched their first World Cup win, over Free Republics. They qualified for World Cup 74 and 75 but had disappointing results, with a 1-4-4 record in three World Cup group stages. While football is only the second-most popular sport in Ceni, behind tennis, its popularity is growing, and its league is burgeoning and gaining more followers and revenue every year. The World Cup should increase the standing and popularity of football in Ceni even further, and hopefully should impel Ceni’s national football team to actually get results in front of a home crowd.

Electrum is a very large but sparsely populated nation, with large swaths of uninhabited areas between the major cities. Electrum borders Eura, Rio Oscuro, Rhodesiah, and New Gelderland. To its East, across the sea is Ceni. The Electrum economy is based on finance and international commerce -- it is what gives the small nation an advantage over other nations in the region. In terms of Football, Electrum debuted in the 55th Baptism of Fire and the 68th World Cup, and has participated in all available tournaments since, whether it was World Cup Qualifications, Cup of Harmonies or World Cup Finals. After World Cup 70, in the 62nd Cup of Harmony, Electrum came in fourth place, behind Cosumar. It would take Electrum 6 attempts at qualification before they finally qualified in WC73 and have qualified ever since. Electrum shares a deep friendship with Ceni, with continued co-operation over many realms, including corporation and business ties (eg the merger of Ceniana and AirElectrum), a free trade agreement and more. They also share similarities in sporting preferences; with tennis being the top sport in Electrum, and football taking runners-up. The World Cup will see teams travelling all over the country with state-of-the-art stadii, from the garguantuan Olympic Stadium in Centralis to other regional venues across Electrum.

Previous Hosting Experience
Ceni has hosted events under four nations - Racao, New Gelderland, Costa de Ouro, and this one. As Racao, he has hosted the Port Louis Rugby Sevens events; as Ceni, the 63rd Cup of Harmony with San Jose Guayabal, the 20th International Basketball Championships, and 5 editions of the Cenian Open, and the International Tennis Trophy. As Costa de Ouro, he has hosted the 13th Handball World Cup, the 6th Volleyball World Expo, 1st Fencing Grand Prix, and 2 Astyrian Series of tennis. Finally, as New Gelderland, he has co-hosted the Games of the X Olympiad with Electrum and the 23rd Copa Rushmori. He has also hosted numerous smaller tennis tournaments with both Costa de Ouro and Ceni, and is the current President of the NationStates Tennis Tour, maintaining its rankings.

Electrum is a seasoned veteran and has hosted many tournaments including two editions of the International Basketball Championships and the World Hoops Showcase with Mizuyuki, the 22nd Rugby World Cup, World Bowl XXVI, 6 tennis tournaments and multisport events: Multiverse Games, co-hosting the Games of the X Olympiad and the XI Winter Olympics. Additionally, Electrum is the President of the International Basketball Organisation, the Vice President of the Olympic Council, and the Vice President of the NationStates Tennis Tour.

Scorination and RP bonus
Scorination will be using the SQIS module of xkoranate 0.3.3, chosen purely on host preference. We will be using a full range of style modifiers from -5 to +5. RP bonus will, of course, be graded by each host separately and will be generous and cumulative. However, the exact criteria will not be released. One MD’s worth of RP bonus will be carried over from qualification to the World Cup.

Format
With numbers not known in advance, the format is quite hard to specify for qualifiers. We aim to follow a traditional 20 groups of x model if possible, although a 15 groups of x is a consideration if numbers permit. For the World Cup itself, we will follow a traditional 32-team group stage, with Electrum and Ceni progressing automatically as the hosts.

Tiebreakers in both the World Cup and in qualifying will be as follows:

Head to Head record
Head to Head goal difference
Goal difference
Wins
Drawing of lots (higher RP bonus)

As always, questions are accepted and welcome.
Last edited by Ceni on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm confident in the ability of both bidders to capably host the World Cup, though I do want to ask why you prefer a 20 groups of x format to a 15 groups of x format (at least that is my interpretation of the text of your bid). Barring a return to 60s-era signup numbers, I believe that a 15 groups of x format is certainly feasible without doing anything unconventional or making qualifying way too long.

The bid does seem fairly conventional and fairly safe, but I can't blame Electrum for going that route after what happened last cycle. ;) Nor is conventional and safe necessarily a bad thing.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:02 pm

No qualms on both of you as hosts nor format or technical aspects of the bid, the only thing that causes me some doubt is: why encouraging nations to "limit" their "extreme" modifiers?
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:42 am

San Jose Guayabal wrote:No qualms on both of you as hosts nor format or technical aspects of the bid, the only thing that causes me some doubt is: why encouraging nations to "limit" their "extreme" modifiers?

And on that note, how will you do so? Will there be a penalty for extreme modifiers, or just a kind gentle words? And yes, I second SJG's question of why.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Vilita and Turori
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vilita and Turori » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:24 am

If Electrum is a "Seasons Veteran" in hosting, why are there no prior WCC Events hosted on that resume? BoF is always an awesome place to start. Why now, opposed to there?

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:09 am

So, I saw after the group stage, each player only gets 1 matchday's worth of RP bonus to carry into the playoffs. This seems like it will only punish RPers and give those who coast by accident a better chance to keep coasting. The question is why. In the NSCAA, which Ceni hosted, the reason RP bonus was cut off in the end was supposedly because there were two different RP bonuses used by the hosts. So why not standardize the bonus? Like, come up with the same max bonus and each use it. We remember what happened in the last edition with coasters. I'm just curious, why make things harder for RPers by deciding all the writing they did throughout the group stage is suddenly worthless?

Even if hosts grade RP differently, it's more fair to have that imbalance than to suddenly strike down all the writing people have done. My team won't go far anyway, so it doesn't matter. But I'm speaking up and asking why.
Last edited by Vangaziland on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bonesea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bonesea » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:38 am

I'm sure you are two decent hosts who will do a good job on this, but I also have concerns about the 'limiting extremes' business. As I RP with an extreme formation, playing style and a plus 5 modifier, I'm not sure I want to be discouraged from doing this. Considering the wide range of realities that are RPed during the WC - beings, places, events - which I'm sure you're not proposing to put limitations on, I can't see what purpose this would serve? Scores might be affected but results shouldn't overall, so it seems more likely to impact people's ideas and creativity rather than anything procedural. Can I ask why you think this is necessary?

And how in practice would this happen, are you suggesting RP penalties for +/-5ers? Or for subjective judgements on RPs? I mean we all know in this reality Arch's fog bank wouldn't qualify but if that is what he chooses to represent him, will you give him zero bonus as it's quite ridiculous (no offence intended Arch)? I know that's an extreme but the point stands. I'm using a 127 formation, almost as preposterous as fog - does that put me at a disadvantage in the NS world?
Half drowned in rum and succeeded by Tequilo
Factbook | Sportswire | Boney Jen
BoF '44 (Tamarindia) | NSWC '65 (Wight) | CoH '68 (Bonesea)

Vilita and Turori
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vilita and Turori » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Vangaziland wrote:So, I saw after the group stage, each player only gets 1 matchday's worth of RP bonus to carry into the playoffs. This seems like it will only punish RPers and give those who coast by accident a better chance to keep coasting. The question is why.

Actually it doesn't say that, it says 1 MD of Bonus will be carried to the finals. If there are playoffs required, the nation would still have its full qualifying RP bonus.

But lets now assume you meant the statement as written in the original post, then the answer is: Because RP Bonus is an enhancement to a teams ranking, and rankings are re-calculated before the finals.

New Rankings released after the Group Stage which reflect a teams performance in qualifying, thereby, indirectly, their RP bonus from Qualifying which contributed to those results.

So, in fact, the hosts statement that they will carry over 1 MD's worth of RP bonus into the finals is exactly the opposite of what you suggest. It actually helps the RPers (not punishes them) as they get an extra bonus that other nations won't have, and that is not always given.

You are looking at it as something is being taken away. Its not. Generally you start from nothing. Ranks are recalculated and your RP bonus is 0. The World Cup Finals are effectively a separate competition distinct and independent from qualifying - thats why they have separate line items in the rankings. These hosts are saying they will REWARD those who RP'd in qualifying by carrying over some of that RP, equivalent to 1 MD's worth - to the finals.

Which is actually a big deal in a 3 MD group stage, so your criticism of this point is, in my opinion, misdirected :)

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:01 pm

Saintland wrote:I'm confident in the ability of both bidders to capably host the World Cup, though I do want to ask why you prefer a 20 groups of x format to a 15 groups of x format (at least that is my interpretation of the text of your bid). Barring a return to 60s-era signup numbers, I believe that a 15 groups of x format is certainly feasible without doing anything unconventional or making qualifying way too long.

It's just because the past few WCs have been 20 groups, but as we said in the bid, the 15 groups is an option if numbers work on well. Nothing about format's too set in stone at this point.

Vilita and Turori wrote:If Electrum is a "Seasons Veteran" in hosting, why are there no prior WCC Events hosted on that resume? BoF is always an awesome place to start. Why now, opposed to there?

Because two Olympics show more scorination and organization capability than a Baptism of Fire. (I can say this, having hosted both a BoF and an Olympics :P).

Vangaziland wrote:So, I saw after the group stage, each player only gets 1 matchday's worth of RP bonus to carry into the playoffs. This seems like it will only punish RPers and give those who coast by accident a better chance to keep coasting. The question is why. In the NSCAA, which Ceni hosted, the reason RP bonus was cut off in the end was supposedly because there were two different RP bonuses used by the hosts. So why not standardize the bonus? Like, come up with the same max bonus and each use it. We remember what happened in the last edition with coasters. I'm just curious, why make things harder for RPers by deciding all the writing they did throughout the group stage is suddenly worthless?

Even if hosts grade RP differently, it's more fair to have that imbalance than to suddenly strike down all the writing people have done. My team won't go far anyway, so it doesn't matter. But I'm speaking up and asking why.

We certainly will be using the same max bonus on both ends - it just won't be revealed.

Also, see VilTur's response, which does a far better job that I could have.

San Jose Guayabal wrote:Why encouraging nations to "limit" their "extreme" modifiers?

My original thought was that some nations have been using extreme modifiers in an effort to "game" the results, so to speak, but I've always been happy with people actually RPing weird/wacky formations. What everybody doesn't like is the -5 team who's causing 0-0 draws and not RPing with it.

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:And on that note, how will you do so? Will there be a penalty for extreme modifiers, or just a kind gentle words? And yes, I second SJG's question of why.

This is an UN type of "encourage", which means it's just a kind gentle word.

Bonesea wrote:I'm sure you are two decent hosts who will do a good job on this, but I also have concerns about the 'limiting extremes' business. As I RP with an extreme formation, playing style and a plus 5 modifier, I'm not sure I want to be discouraged from doing this. Considering the wide range of realities that are RPed during the WC - beings, places, events - which I'm sure you're not proposing to put limitations on, I can't see what purpose this would serve? Scores might be affected but results shouldn't overall, so it seems more likely to impact people's ideas and creativity rather than anything procedural. Can I ask why you think this is necessary?

And how in practice would this happen, are you suggesting RP penalties for +/-5ers? Or for subjective judgements on RPs? I mean we all know in this reality Arch's fog bank wouldn't qualify but if that is what he chooses to represent him, will you give him zero bonus as it's quite ridiculous (no offence intended Arch)? I know that's an extreme but the point stands. I'm using a 127 formation, almost as preposterous as fog - does that put me at a disadvantage in the NS world?

See responses to above. And we do welcome different RP perspectives, so you shouldn't have a problem - we were just concerned with the non-RPing nation who used an extreme modifier to "game" results, which is a common perception.

A thought is perhaps to change the language to "encourage nations who do not plan on RPing to avoid using extreme style modifiers." Or we can take it off altogether if it comes to be a major problem - I'll discuss this with Electrum when he gets back on later tonight.
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Upon consultation with Electrum, we have dropped that part from our bid. Have at whatever style modifiers you like.
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports