NATION

PASSWORD

Baptism of Fire 59 Bid: Saintland & Star United States

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Baptism of Fire 59 Bid: Saintland & Star United States

Postby Saintland » Fri May 15, 2015 7:23 pm

Two nations, one Rushmori and one Esportivan, have come together to start the 72nd World Cup Cycle with a bid for the 59th edition of the Baptism of Fire. The Baptism of Fire has traditionally been the place where nations make their WCC debut and fittingly both bidding nations are looking to make their debut as WCC hosts as well:

Firstly, there is the Kingdom of Saintland. Saintland is a small island nation in northern Rushmore that is internationally renowned as the home of the True Church of Iesus Christus. The True Church is the leading faith in a number of nations, most prominently the Holy Republican Empire, but also Acedonia and IesusisGodistan, among others. However, the Kingdom of Saintland is considered hollowed ground by the True Church in a way that other believing nations are not. On the pitch, the Saintland National Soccer Team has performed significantly better than one would expect from a team representing a nation of under a million souls. From their legendary battles with Nephara (then known as New Sideburn) in the 51st Baptism of Fire to their qualifications for 4 World Cups to their third place finish in the most recent Cup of Harmony, they have a consistent track record of success in WCC events. Outside of WCC events, they finished second at the last Swamp Soccer World Cup and second at the 19th Copa Rushmori while also winning an Olympic Gold Medal at the Orean Games. While Saintland has never hosted a WCC event before, they have hosted or co-hosted editions of the World Baseball Classic, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey and IBC, among other events. The Holy Republican Empire (formerly the Federation of Free Republics, which is run by the same OOC user) has hosted or co-hosted editions of the Cup of Harmony, World Cup and Winter Olympics, among other events.

Then, there is The Utopian Republic of Star United States. Located in Esportiva, and with three official languages, Star United States is a center of diversity in the region. From the glistening shorelines to the deep jungle, sports are a desire of life for most Starians. The Starian Men's National Soccer Team appeared in the World Cup scene during the 47th Baptism of Fire, and then the country hit a period of isolation. After missing various cycles, the team came back for the 66th World Cup Qualifiers, and has participated in every qualifier after. The team successful qualified for World Cup 71. Star United States has previously hosted, or co-hosted, the First, Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Star Triathlon Worldwide Tournament; International FireStorm Cup VI; First Triathlon World Championship; Five-A-Side World Cup VI; Runner Cup 4, and the March Triathlon Open. It has also been rumored throughout the Starian citizens that the Sixth Quidditch World Cup was hosted in the country. The National Sports Federation has regulated the league sports within the country.

Since the numbers are unclear at this point, we will announce our proposed format later, but it will consist of the conventional group stage followed by knockout rounds and all matches will be held within a host nation.

For scorination, we will utilize the latest version of Xkoranate as of of the opening of the event thread, with the NSFS formula and xkoranate (additive) style modifiers. RP bonus will be generous and cumulative and the maxpoints will be set equal to the highest RP/roster bonus obtained prior to cutoff.

Tiebreakers will be (in order): Points, Head-to-Head Points, Head-to-Head Goal Difference, Overall Goal Difference, Head-to-Head Goals For, Overall Goals For, Playoff Match

We welcome your questions.
Last edited by Saintland on Fri May 15, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu May 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Yeah, I've got one.
Would the "goals for" tiebreaker not give an advantage to run-and-gun style modifiers?
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Nephara
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephara » Thu May 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:Yeah, I've got one.
Would the "goals for" tiebreaker not give an advantage to run-and-gun style modifiers?

It's literally like the ninth tiebreaker. It's practically guaranteed not to come up. Goals for is more or less just for the real-life precedent. In fact, at least one NS tournament changed it to Goals Against.

Either way, don't let it impact your planned style modifier.
WCC Grand Slam champion.
Accidental Gridiron Championship Silver Belt holders for six cycles??

Masculine, Feminine and Mixed-Sex Name Generators

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu May 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Nephara wrote:

It's literally like the ninth tiebreaker. It's practically guaranteed not to come up. Goals for is more or less just for the real-life precedent. In fact, at least one NS tournament changed it to Goals Against.

That's good.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Thu May 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Nephara wrote:

Indeed. The reason why we've chosen to use goals scored as a tiebreaker is because it is used in RL and because using it reduces the minuscule chance that "playoff match" will have to be used and end up delaying the knockout rounds of the tournament.

In fact, I was a co-host of Cup of Harmony 58, which used goals against rather than goals for and I still agree with Falcus's argument that he made at that time about how using goals against as a tiebreaker is just as arbitrary as using goals scored.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games

Greene County
Civilian

Founded: May 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

BoF

Postby Greene County » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:29 am

i am interested in joining. when do we need roster info turned in.....

Nurkama
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nurkama » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:53 am

Greene County wrote:i am interested in joining. when do we need roster info turned in.....

This is just a bid, not a sign up. If they win the rights to hold the BoF 59 then they will make sign ups.
Last edited by Nurkama on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
he/him

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:00 am

Greene County wrote:i am interested in joining. when do we need roster info turned in.....

You can signup for the Baptism of Fire in the World Cup 72 Signup Thread. All you have to do is post in that thread that you sign up for the World Cup and the Baptism of Fire. The everything thread for the 59th Baptism of Fire will be posted after the voters have selected a host bid (that's where you post rosters and RPs).
Why I left NS Sports

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:51 am

The signup list for BoF 59 currently consists of 31 nations:

Madesu
Kaboomlandia
Skarosbrekka
Volcanoc
Fhulghamous Peninsula
Port Christopher
Recuecn
Santaclausisgodistan
Communicar
Venta de la Mesilla
Arabnesia
United RussoAsia
Coreyo
Viktoria
Panem
Hodife
Deiorus
Corralejo
The United North States
State of Europa
Kumbhalgarh
Emperor Pudu
Prusy krolewskie
Associated Godlands
Murovanka
Welcomzia
Gabbindon and The Liffan Isles
Borxinoia
Stellonia
Sluidor
Baccalieu

Therefore, our proposed format is the WC finals format: 8 groups of 4 single round-robin, top 2 to Round of 16, single elimination from there with a 3PPO. However, to better prepare BoF participants for the pace of Qualifying, we will be scorinating MDs every 24 hours rather than every 48 hours.

There is 1 more spot remaining, which will go to the first team to sign up for it, so long as they are accepted into the World Cup. Therefore, we will include Libertatis Victoriae in the BoF as the 32nd entrant so long as the World Cup hosts confirm their inclusion in the World Cup and will look to begin the tournament after the host vote closes (assuming we win the vote, of course).
Why I left NS Sports

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports