NATION

PASSWORD

NS Rugby Discussion Thread (v.2)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:06 pm

Coreyo Sports wrote:First time roleplaying in this Rugby tournament. What do the numbers mean?

Which numbers?
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Coreyo Sports
Secretary

Founded: Mar 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Coreyo Sports » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Nova Anglicana wrote:
Coreyo Sports wrote:First time roleplaying in this Rugby tournament. What do the numbers mean?

Which numbers?

Next to the name of the nation, the numbers are shown as the following, for example: (8, 0.09).
Check out: Coreyo (Main nation)
Coreyo Entertainment (Bureau of Entertainment of Coreyo)

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Coreyo Sports wrote:
Nova Anglicana wrote:
Which numbers?

Next to the name of the nation, the numbers are shown as the following, for example: (8, 0.09).

First number is their international ranking and second is their coefficient, which is used in the scorination process.

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:29 am

So fair warning.

I know absolutely nothing about rugby. Very few people play the sport in the good ol' US of A.

I do plan on RPing. But my RPs for this tourney will not be match reports. They will be character-based, or whatever the heck comes to mind, but not character based. So even if I RP first, whoever I play against can decide how all the points are scored and what not.

This is my attempt to learn rugby, BTW, so I can actually watch rugby when it is in the Olympics next year.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Darmen
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:27 am

Banija wrote:This is my attempt to learn rugby, BTW, so I can actually watch rugby when it is in the Olympics next year.

Just so you know, the Rugby World Cup is for the full XV's form of the game, and not the sevens form that will be included in the Olympics. Also, if you'd like to learn the game, I'd suggest watching replays of matches on youtube.

Link to my playlist for XV's matches Link to my playlist for sevens matches
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Darmen wrote:
Banija wrote:This is my attempt to learn rugby, BTW, so I can actually watch rugby when it is in the Olympics next year.

Just so you know, the Rugby World Cup is for the full XV's form of the game, and not the sevens form that will be included in the Olympics. Also, if you'd like to learn the game, I'd suggest watching replays of matches on youtube.

Ah. Well, I'm already in. I'm sure it can't hurt learning how full rugby works to understand Rugby 7s.

Also to the hosts. Great job with the pots. 2nd tournament where I get put in the last pot that has ranked teams :P
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Estenia
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estenia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:22 pm

Banija wrote:
Darmen wrote:Just so you know, the Rugby World Cup is for the full XV's form of the game, and not the sevens form that will be included in the Olympics. Also, if you'd like to learn the game, I'd suggest watching replays of matches on youtube.

Ah. Well, I'm already in. I'm sure it can't hurt learning how full rugby works to understand Rugby 7s.

Also to the hosts. Great job with the pots. 2nd tournament where I get put in the last pot that has ranked teams :P

You got my luck at minor tournaments.
Runner-up at the 1st OMAHAN FUTSAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, 4th at Maple Leaf Bowl III, 4th on Baptism of Fire 57, 2nd at Runner Cup 4, 3rd at 21st World Lacrosse Championships.

88% Libertatrian
72% Conservative
63% Liberal

The Royal Barangay
Envoy

Founded: Aug 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Barangay » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:28 am

Host Announcement

Groups have been drawn. Cutoff for the first Matchday is in roughly 48 hours and 30 minutes. IC information will be up in roughly 24 hours.
Last edited by The Royal Barangay on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE KINGDOM OF THE ROYAL BARANGAY (Formerly known as Sangti)
Region: Esportiva | Sportswire | Trigramme: TRB | Leader: Gran Supremo Antonio Arias | Libertad Sportswear
Founder, Trofeo de Paz | Co-organizer, IUBC, International Domestic Basketball competition (with Buyan)
Winners, World Baseball Classic 29, NSCAA 6, Federation Club Cup I | Qualified for World Cup 68, 69 and 71
<NWW|MOC> Well, I should probably head for bead.
<+Audio> "Tuna has been extortionate since around 2007, stop complaining, jizzballs"
<SNT-FFR> Apparently, I'm not a "good" sports RPer :p
[04:20] <Glo> Ohkay...
[04:20] <Glo> So Esper is officially down
[04:20] <@commerceheights> then how are you sending this message? :P

Silkjd
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silkjd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 am

When will the the race begin?

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Silkjd wrote:When will the the race begin?

Race? I'm assuming you mean matches. Just follow Barangay's link, it's all in the OP, in the schedule.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

The Royal Barangay
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Barangay » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:09 am

MD1 cutoff will be delayed to 2300 UTC + 8. I have some matters to attend to at the moment.
Region: Esportiva | Sportswire | Trigramme: TRB | Leader: Gran Supremo Antonio Arias | Libertad Sportswear
Founder, Trofeo de Paz | Co-organizer, IUBC, International Domestic Basketball competition (with Buyan)
Winners, World Baseball Classic 29, NSCAA 6, Federation Club Cup I | Qualified for World Cup 68, 69 and 71
<+Audio> "Tuna has been extortionate since around 2007, stop complaining, jizzballs"

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:13 am

Let's get this thing started! 8) 8)
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:26 am

How does one earn a bonus point in the standings?

I am confused :P
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:39 am

Banija wrote:How does one earn a bonus point in the standings?

Losing by 7 points or less or scoring 33 or more points.
Last edited by Saintland on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Saintland wrote:
Banija wrote:How does one earn a bonus point in the standings?

You get bonus points for a loss? And that means my 32-0 win netted me 0 bonus points? Damn.

Is this standard across rugby, or just for this tournament?
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Banija wrote:
Saintland wrote:

You get bonus points for a loss? And that means my 32-0 win netted me 0 bonus points? Damn.

Is this standard across rugby, or just for this tournament?

In rugby union tournies on this forum, yes. IRL, you get a bonus point for losing by less than 7 or scoring 4+ tries. Since there's no objective way to know how many tries a team scores, 33 is a number generally accepted as having scored at least four tries.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Pounded 42-12 by The Fair Republic >:(
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Yes, half my RP is discussing the IC reasons why I don't know about rugby. Also a soft background info for the rest of the story arc.

The Estenians literally may die

(jkjk) :P
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:32 am

I don't know much about rugby. I only know point values for scoring :roll:

Anyway, I lost 37-7 to Riysa.
Co-Author of SC #204

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:35 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:I don't know much about rugby. I only know point values for scoring :roll:

Offsides are a pain in the ass, believe me. First game as a rookie, I went offside three times because I lost track of where the ball was. As well, cardio's an asshole in the game, same with tackling and attempting to deke defenders.

@Royal Barangay

These drop kick conversions are seriously getting out of hand. My entire game with you was just one try with a failed conversion and drop kicks.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:38 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:I don't know much about rugby. I only know point values for scoring :roll:

You're doing fine. You read enough to get point values, now just squeeze in some other terminology, and maybe watch some video clips of play. Also, pay attention to your opponent's RP. For instance, the demonym for Riysa is Riysian, with an 'i' in there, and it's just three posts above yours where you could have found that.
My Factbook
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:45 am

Ontorisa wrote:
@Royal Barangay

These drop kick conversions are seriously getting out of hand. My entire game with you was just one try with a failed conversion and drop kicks.

The Royal Barangay 46–14 Ontorisa

That's one way to have tabulated it, but not the only way. Your score could have been two trys and two successful conversions. Barangay's could be figured out a couple different ways. You have trys (5), conversions (2), penalty goals (3) and drop goals (3), so there's a few combinations.

I goofed and mixed up league and union rules, penalty, field, drop goals, etc... Any goal that's not a conversion is worth 3, not 2 points.
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Factbook

The Royal Barangay
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Barangay » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:47 am

Ontorisa wrote:
@Royal Barangay

Well, it depends on how you distribute the scoring. For example. 14 points can be either 2 converted tries or 1 unconverted try + mixture of penalty scores and drop goals. What's important in this edition of the RUWC that you do not RP that you had 4 or more tries while not scoring 33 points or more as stated in my bid.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Wait, penalties are scored 2 points only? I believe it is scored 3.
Last edited by The Royal Barangay on Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:49 am

Neu Engollon wrote:

You're doing fine. You read enough to get point values, now just squeeze in some other terminology, and maybe watch some video clips of play. Also, pay attention to your opponent's RP. For instance, the demonym for Riysa is Riysian, with an 'i' in there, and it's just three posts above yours where you could have found that.

Some lingo you could toss in there would be the large pods of contact you would see in games. The impromptu scrums are called Rucks, and they usually occur after a successful tackle on the ball carrier where the defenders try to gain possession of the ball and the attackers try and keep possession and pass it out. Usually the attackers win.

Scrums are those formal groupings of your forwards that allow for the ball to be put back into play. Like rucks, the team who gets to put the ball into the scrum has an advantage. Scrums are usually compromise all of your forwards + your scrum half.

Line outs are an ass, but you can call some ridiculous names (my team's favourite play last year was Dinosaur Diabetes, which was a long pass to the back to the outside centre). Line outs, like scrums, use your forwards but have your backs as close support in case of mauls or a quick, short pass.

Mauls, like rucks, but you're all standing up. They're bad for more athletic-cardio-skill orientated teams like mine but good for extremely physical teams.

Neu Engollon wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:
@Royal Barangay

The Royal Barangay 46–14 Ontorisa

That's one way to have tabulated it, but not the only way. Your score could have been two trys and two successful versions. Barangay's could be figured out a couple different ways. You have trys (5), conversions (2), penalty goals (2) and drop goals (3), so there's a few combinations. You played rugby, based on your previous statement in that post. I always forget that penalties are 2 instead of 3, too.

Penalties are 3 since they aren't conversions I thought. Oh well. Also thanks with helping with my math, I definitely brain farted right there out there for a sec.

EDIT:

@Royal Barangay

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, damn, I'm feeling like a rookie again. I'll get back to you guys.
Last edited by Ontorisa on Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:50 am

I'm Canadian, and a hockey fan, so I didn't catch half of what you just said. 8)
Co-Author of SC #204

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports