NATION

PASSWORD

NS Rugby Discussion Thread (v.2)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Fair Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fair Republic » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:01 pm

When's RUWC24 going to happen? I'm happy with my finish for a first time and can't wait for the next one.

We have to do the League Cup First, usually its 6-7 months until the next RUWC.

Also, Congrats to The Royal Barangay for winning and hosting a great Cup.
3rd Place-RUWC 23
Runner Up-RUWC 25

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:53 pm

The Fair Republic wrote:We have to do the League Cup First, usually its 6-7 months until the next RUWC.

Actually, IIRC, we're trying to speed that up.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Riysa
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Riysa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:26 pm

Just to chime in, this match felt odd. Like, a lot of what happened seemed statistically improbable, particularly after the Group matches. I don't want to point any fingers, but I wouldn't want to calculate the chances of this happening. I'm fine with where I got, but...
Last edited by Riysa on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:55 pm

Not involved with rugby, but sometimes Maggie produces some weird results.

As for "apply home advantage", the first team in any pairing got a bonus. It wasn't just the OOC host of the tournament who got home advantage; it was the first team in every pairing. The way you set it up, it looks like you had home advantage for the entire knockout rounds.
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:47 pm

Ceni wrote:Not involved with rugby, but sometimes Maggie produces some weird results.

As for "apply home advantage", the first team in any pairing got a bonus. It wasn't just the OOC host of the tournament who got home advantage; it was the first team in every pairing. The way you set it up, it looks like you had home advantage for the entire knockout rounds.

If the host's matches were scorinated separately from the other matches, home advantage wouldn't have been on for them.

Applying home advantage to the host, generally, isn't a good idea because home advantage has a much larger effect than you probably think it does. If you want to provide some sort of home advantage to the host, it makes more sense to do so by directly adding the host advantage to the RP bonus since you can control exactly how much advantage the host has that way.

The results of the knockout rounds definitely seemed a little unusual for this edition, but that was also the case last time. My 3rd place finish in RUWC 22 always seemed like a fluke to me. As long as every team has the potential to lose on every matchday regardless of rank+bonus, some upsets are inevitable.

With regard to speeding up the cycles, I wouldn't be opposed to running the RLWC immediately after the RUWC, so both events could run 3-4 times a year rather than twice a year.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Saintland wrote:
Ceni wrote:Not involved with rugby, but sometimes Maggie produces some weird results.

If the host's matches were scorinated separately from the other matches, home advantage wouldn't have been on for them.

Applying home advantage to the host, generally, isn't a good idea because home advantage has a much larger effect than you probably think it does. If you want to provide some sort of home advantage to the host, it makes more sense to do so by directly adding the host advantage to the RP bonus since you can control exactly how much advantage the host has that way.

The results of the knockout rounds definitely seemed a little unusual for this edition, but that was also the case last time. My 3rd place finish in RUWC 22 always seemed like a fluke to me. As long as every team has the potential to lose on every matchday regardless of rank+bonus, some upsets are inevitable.

With regard to speeding up the cycles, I wouldn't be opposed to running the RLWC immediately after the RUWC, so both events could run 3-4 times a year rather than twice a year.

I think the point that it is statistically possible for an upset is understood. Statistically likely to happen as much as it did throughout the playoffs...meh. I have copies of Barangay's files and will go over them after work. Unfortunately, Semarland immediately deleted his scoring files, which would involve the host bonus from quarter finals on. So all we have to go on is word and pre-round of 16 for that particular case.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Also, I believe the plan was to have our sanctioned series of sevens tournaments before the RLWC. There will be at least three, all with different hosts.
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Factbook
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

The Fair Republic
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fair Republic » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:Also, I believe the plan was to have our sanctioned series of sevens tournaments before the RLWC. There will be at least three, all with different hosts.

I thought we voted to remove sevens a while back
3rd Place-RUWC 23
Runner Up-RUWC 25

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:56 pm

The Fair Republic wrote:
Neu Engollon wrote:Also, I believe the plan was to have our sanctioned series of sevens tournaments before the RLWC. There will be at least three, all with different hosts.

Sevens suck. Period.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Ontorisa wrote:
The Fair Republic wrote:

Sevens suck. Period.

Thanks for sharing. We voted to do away with a World Cup for sevens, these are not WC level tourneys and would be briefer in duration.
My Factbook

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:04 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:
Sevens suck. Period.

Thanks for sharing. We voted to do away with a World Cup for sevens, these are not WC level tourneys and would be briefer in duration.

Hahaha :lol2:

I meant that as a joking comment.

But in reality, I'm not a big fan of sevens. Probably because it's different.

Green Jello Salad
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Green Jello Salad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Congratulations to the champion, commiserations to those who didn't quite make it, and thank you to all.

Neu Engollon and I had been discussing off-thread how to speed up the rugby cycle; we are in agreement that it is too slow. We also agree that we would like to see organized sevens as well, not necessarily a World Cup and certainly nothing to slow the cycles of the union and league codes. The balance of this post leaves the sevens question aside.

My proposal is to institute a regular RL calendar for the main events. Something like this:

• 15th of month X: Open signup thread, allow 7-10 days for host bids with a deadline fixed at the start.
  • 22nd to 25th of month X: Close host bidding and vote. Allow 3 days if there is one bid, 5-7 otherwise.
  • After vote is finished (and revotes if needed) the winning bidder takes control. Signups can then end at any point.
  • The goal is to have the tournament start with MD1 some time in the first 10 days of month Y.
  • Start Union cycles in March, July, and November. Start League cycles in May, September, and January.
This would allow three union and three league World Cups each calendar year, a solid improvement over the recent past. I have never been a big fan of the mindset that avoids possible conflicts with other events, RL or SL. If you start the avoidance game, you'll never run. There is always something pulling from the outside. Better, I think, to have some predictability.

If this were to meet with general approval, I would open signups for RLWC 15 on May 15, with host bidding closing on May 25 and the vote announced not later than June 1.
RWC 24 would open signups on July 15, with the goal of having voting done by August 1.
RLWC 16 would open signups on September 15, with the goal of having voting done by October 2.

That takes us up to the end of the current Executive Council terms, and by then we'll have a handle on what needs tweaking (including the Council!!)

What say you?
President, NS Rugby Board
Our men play rugby league and kabaddi. Our women play association football and netball.
Sometimes they dabble together in Babbage code.
RP population is about 2.2 million.

Zhenherribae
Secretary

Founded: Mar 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhenherribae » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:53 pm

FYI, sevens people, there are still three spots left in rugby sevens at the first City of Zhenherribae Sports Festival. Four other sports are on offer, too, but this is a rugby thread. :)
The Sovereign Tripartite City of Zhenherribae
RP Population 2.4 million | Trigramme: ZHE | City Map
Three-sided football guide

The Fair Republic
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fair Republic » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Green Jello Salad wrote:Congratulations to the champion, commiserations to those who didn't quite make it, and thank you to all.

Neu Engollon and I had been discussing off-thread how to speed up the rugby cycle; we are in agreement that it is too slow. We also agree that we would like to see organized sevens as well, not necessarily a World Cup and certainly nothing to slow the cycles of the union and league codes. The balance of this post leaves the sevens question aside.

My proposal is to institute a regular RL calendar for the main events. Something like this:

• 15th of month X: Open signup thread, allow 7-10 days for host bids with a deadline fixed at the start.
  • 22nd to 25th of month X: Close host bidding and vote. Allow 3 days if there is one bid, 5-7 otherwise.
  • After vote is finished (and revotes if needed) the winning bidder takes control. Signups can then end at any point.
  • The goal is to have the tournament start with MD1 some time in the first 10 days of month Y.
  • Start Union cycles in March, July, and November. Start League cycles in May, September, and January.
This would allow three union and three league World Cups each calendar year, a solid improvement over the recent past. I have never been a big fan of the mindset that avoids possible conflicts with other events, RL or SL. If you start the avoidance game, you'll never run. There is always something pulling from the outside. Better, I think, to have some predictability.

If this were to meet with general approval, I would open signups for RLWC 15 on May 15, with host bidding closing on May 25 and the vote announced not later than June 1.
RWC 24 would open signups on July 15, with the goal of having voting done by August 1.
RLWC 16 would open signups on September 15, with the goal of having voting done by October 2.

That takes us up to the end of the current Executive Council terms, and by then we'll have a handle on what needs tweaking (including the Council!!)

What say you?

I like it, I think it also will help keep new participants since the time to the next cycle will be lowered dramaticly
3rd Place-RUWC 23
Runner Up-RUWC 25

Apox
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Apox » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:57 am

Green Jello Salad wrote:Congratulations to the champion, commiserations to those who didn't quite make it, and thank you to all.

What say you?

I can only approve of this motion.
The History of Modern NSSports internationalpost.apx (Newswire) The Apoxian Compendium
Winners: Campionato Esportiva IV, V & XVI, World T20 Championships VI, Imperial Chap Olympiad
Runners-up: CoH 58, World T20 Championships V, Campionato Esportiva XII
Third: Campionato Esportiva XIII
Fourth: Campionato Esportiva VII & XV
Baptism of Fire 50, Cup of Harmony 56, World Cup 69, World Cup 73, World Cup 82
Friendly Cups 2 & 6, World T20 Championships II, Campionato Esportiva IV, VIII, XII & XXIII, GCF Season 4, 8 & 10

Green Jello Salad
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Green Jello Salad » Tue May 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Heads up: In accordance with the proposal above, the Rugby League World Cup signups will open in just over 72 hours. This post is also made to pop the rugby discussion thread back into the public consciousness. :)
President, NS Rugby Board
Our men play rugby league and kabaddi. Our women play association football and netball.
Sometimes they dabble together in Babbage code.
RP population is about 2.2 million.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue May 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Green Jello Salad wrote:Heads up: In accordance with the proposal above, the Rugby League World Cup signups will open in just over 72 hours. This post is also made to pop the rugby discussion thread back into the public consciousness. :)

Hopefully my guys are as good in rugby league as they are in rugby union. Making it into the Round of 24 in the 24th seed on my first tournament was great :)
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun May 17, 2015 10:52 am

Do rugby union and rugby league rankings remain separate, or are they combined?
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Sun May 17, 2015 10:58 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:Do rugby union and rugby league rankings remain separate, or are they combined?

They're separate, since rugby union and rugby league are separate sports.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun May 17, 2015 10:58 am

Saintland wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:Do rugby union and rugby league rankings remain separate, or are they combined?

They're separate, since rugby union and rugby league are separate sports.

Okay, then.
Co-Author of SC #204

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:34 pm

Bit late, but...

Were there rankings released after RUWC 23?
Co-Author of SC #204

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:Bit late, but...

Were there rankings released after RUWC 23?

Not as far as I know.
My Factbook

The Jeckish Union
Secretary

Founded: May 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jeckish Union » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:25 am

What happened to the NSRB council? Shouldn't the current vote be for the League Council only?

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:47 am

The Jeckish Union wrote:What happened to the NSRB council? Shouldn't the current vote be for the League Council only?

It certainly shouldn't be for all nations signed up, according to the Governing Document (emphasis mine):

NS Rugby Board Executive Council wrote:NS Rugby Board Governing Document

The NSRB as a whole select the hosts of each RWC, RLWC, and R7WC. The NSRB Sections also elect a Vice President periodically, after a cycle of four or more World Cups including at least one of each of the three types has been completed. All NSRB members entered into the tournament may vote on host bids, but only the members of a Section may vote for that section's Vice President.
Why I left NS Sports

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:52 am

Saintland wrote:
The Jeckish Union wrote:What happened to the NSRB council? Shouldn't the current vote be for the League Council only?

It certainly shouldn't be for all nations signed up, according to the Governing Document (emphasis mine):

NS Rugby Board Executive Council wrote:NS Rugby Board Governing Document

The NSRB as a whole select the hosts of each RWC, RLWC, and R7WC. The NSRB Sections also elect a Vice President periodically, after a cycle of four or more World Cups including at least one of each of the three types has been completed. All NSRB members entered into the tournament may vote on host bids, but only the members of a Section may vote for that section's Vice President.

I don't think it's up to date. It's been updated in Rugby Union section, but not for Rugby League section. Or at least that's what this discussion thread is telling me right now...
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports