NATION

PASSWORD

International Hockey Discussion Thread (OOC, version II)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Wed May 13, 2015 5:46 pm

Nova Anglicana wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:
Going back to this Vermark, maybe some sort of private RP between 2-4 nations...? I mean, I know that there are many competitive leagues and professional international competitions, but we could have a private, mini one similar to the NHL, right?

Also, are we ever going to have a U18 Hockey Tournament?

Did you miss the last WJHC? Royal Kingdom of Quebec, can we get an update on when the next one is?

Probably.

But wouldn't we also have different "Under" tournaments (U16, U18, U21)?

Frusennia
Attaché

Founded: Nov 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Frusennia » Wed May 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Ontorisa wrote:
Nova Anglicana wrote:
Did you miss the last WJHC? Royal Kingdom of Quebec, can we get an update on when the next one is?

Probably.

Getting people to sign up for and RP actively in one junior hockey tournament is pretty tough. Good luck with three more.
Pronunciation: Fru-sen-nee-uh
Capital: Elvabyen
RP Population: ~10 million
Demonym: Frusennian
Languages: Frusennian, German, and English
Sports played: Ice hockey, pesapollo
World Junior Hockey Championships V Champion
Icy puppet of Venta de la Mesilla. Hockey and ludefisk, you betcha!
Vettrera wrote:...I could have been doing this the whole time.
I love you, I hate you.
OOC Reference

Vermark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vermark » Wed May 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Vermark wrote:ATTN: Hockey Champions' League Participants

I am going to pilot a Junior Hockey Champions' League during this cycle of the HCL. I do not know how many people will scorinate a junior league besides Quebec and I, however, if you are interested, the entrant number is 4 for all nations and I will go forward with the league if we have four or more nations submitting entrants.

The general make-up of junior hockey teams is 19 and under with a maximum of 3 players who are 20 years of age. However, I will also accept university teams as well in order to raise enough numbers for this first edition.

After this first addition, I will assess whether or not there is enough interest to maintain this. My hope is that roughly two thirds of HCL participants will also be JHCL participants. However, I don't know how much interest there is in junior hockey, so that is why I am simply piloting this right now.

The cutoff is the same as the HCL cutoff, 17:00 CDT on 03/05/2015.

This, of course, was called off after receiving a whooping zero entries. Oh well. I never expected a whole lot anyways.

Ontorisa wrote:
Vermark wrote:
That would be hard because there are more than just two countries with professional hockey clubs. Hockey in NS is a lot more like Soccer IRL. There are many equally competitive leagues and professional international competitions. Having just one league won't work as well as the current system.

Going back to this Vermark, maybe some sort of private RP between 2-4 nations...? I mean, I know that there are many competitive leagues and professional international competitions, but we could have a private, mini one similar to the NHL, right?

I mean, I can't stop anyone from doing anything. Just as a personal preference, I think having individual leagues that compete against one another in the HCL format works out the best. If we have a multi-national league, it kind of just becomes WCoH v2.0.

Nova Anglicana wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:

I'd assume that Quebec's immense amount of obligations and commitments, he just never got around to it. I, of course, look forward to this competition again, and I will likely make a bid on it.

Ontorisa wrote:
Nova Anglicana wrote:

Probably.

WJHC is U20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_U20_Championship). And I do not think we would get a whole lot of interest for any other divisions.
The Social Republic of Vermark
Capital: Videnhagen | Trigamme: VER | Demonym: Varish/Vare
Leadership: P.M. Markus Leonardsson (Hanseatic Party) | Population: 23,600,000

[About Me: Canadian | Progressive Conservative | Long-Distance Runner]
[National Info: Official Factbook | Videnhagen Press Group | sportmark.vk]
[Storefronts: Hansa Corporation | University of Videnhagen]
"It is not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~Theodore Roosevelt

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Wed May 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Vermark wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:
Probably.

WJHC is U20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_U20_Championship). And I do not think we would get a whole lot of interest for any other divisions.

True. U16, U18 & U21 would be leaning more to national leagues, right?

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed May 13, 2015 5:53 pm

I wouldn't mind just U18 and U20.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:I wouldn't mind just U18 and U20.

Give us time to show off our hockey prospects if we did a U18.

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Apparently I can't count. We have 55 signups. Ko-oren will throw in his numbers puppet when he gets on tomorrow to make 56, unless someone signs up before then. Once we're both on together, the everything thread will go up.

Bad Gregory! :p
Can't wait.

I'm in EDT and Ko-oren's in Europe, so don't expect an Everything thread until tomorrow morning my time at the earliest. It's about 2 AM where he is, so he's probably fast asleep now and will still be sleeping when I go to bed here. We both need to be on together even if I'm making the OP because he needs to get his IC information (or at least a post reserving it) in before anyone else posts (except for me doing the same).

Dates for the tournament should be announced when the Everything Thread goes up. There will be a live draw, but it hasn't been decided yet whether both hosts will participate due to the time zone difference. Incidentally, this is why we decided to go with the World Cup format (albeit with series) rather than the conventional WCoH Format. We don't want to force people to have that drastic a cutoff switch more than once.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed May 13, 2015 6:05 pm

General question to role-players: where do you get your names? I usually make up my own or use this tool:
http://old.wave39.com/roster/

It only seems to work for American-style names, though.
It's where I got my entire WBC roster.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Wed May 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:General question to role-players: where do you get your names? I usually make up my own or use this tool:

Ontorisa wrote:I smash my head on the keyboard and add vowels.

Frusennia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Frusennia » Wed May 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:General question to role-players: where do you get your names? I usually make up my own or use this tool:

http://random-name-generator.info/ is my go-to, or the Behind the Name one. I used to make them up, but they got repetitive fast. I'll generate a slate of names, a slate of ages, and then randomize a list of positions so that I get a pretty much random roster on a spreadsheet in a couple of minutes.
I love you, I hate you.
OOC Reference

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed May 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Frusennia wrote:

http://random-name-generator.info/ is my go-to, or the Behind the Name one. I used to make them up, but they got repetitive fast. I'll generate a slate of names, a slate of ages, and then randomize a list of positions so that I get a pretty much random roster on a spreadsheet in a couple of minutes.

I make them up, and then literally RP them as multitaskers :p
Co-Author of SC #204

Vermark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vermark » Wed May 13, 2015 6:23 pm

Ontorisa wrote:
Vermark wrote:

Not sure what you mean by, "national leagues". If you wish to start a domestic thread and scorinate your own variety of age brackets of ice hockey, all the power to you. However, I highly doubt we will get any more than 5 actual RPers for a U-16 or U-18 hockey tournament.
The Social Republic of Vermark
Capital: Videnhagen | Trigamme: VER | Demonym: Varish/Vare
Leadership: P.M. Markus Leonardsson (Hanseatic Party) | Population: 23,600,000

[About Me: Canadian | Progressive Conservative | Long-Distance Runner]
[National Info: Official Factbook | Videnhagen Press Group | sportmark.vk]
[Storefronts: Hansa Corporation | University of Videnhagen]
"It is not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~Theodore Roosevelt

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Wed May 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Vermark wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:

Not sure what you mean by, "national leagues". If you wish to start a domestic thread and scorinate your own variety of age brackets of ice hockey, all the power to you. However, I highly doubt we will get any more than 5 actual RPers for a U-16 or U-18 hockey tournament.

Sorry, I meant domestic.

Hmm, but anyways, anyone up for a mini-U18 hockey tournament after? Just to show off our prospects?

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed May 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Ontorisa wrote:
Vermark wrote:

Sorry, I meant domestic.

Hmm, but anyways, anyone up for a mini-U18 hockey tournament after? Just to show off our prospects?

Why not.
Co-Author of SC #204

Frusennia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Frusennia » Wed May 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Ontorisa wrote:
Vermark wrote:

Sorry, I meant domestic.

Is it open for signups?
I love you, I hate you.
OOC Reference

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Wed May 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Frusennia wrote:Snip

Kaboomlandia wrote:Snip

Sorry, I forgot to add after this.

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed May 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Nova Anglicana wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:

Since I missed out on exact time for when to open the signups, which is normally 2-3 weeks before WCoH signups, I'll open it after the Quarterfinals.
Ontorisa wrote:
Vermark wrote:

Sorry, I meant domestic.

Just like IIHF World U18 Championship? I'm absolutely up for it.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Wed May 13, 2015 8:12 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:
Sorry, I meant domestic.

Just like IIHF World U18 Championship? I'm absolutely up for it.

I would be more than willing to host it after this WCoH.

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed May 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Ontorisa wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:Just like IIHF World U18 Championship? I'm absolutely up for it.

I would be more than willing to host it after this WCoH.

Oops, I meant more as U-17 Hockey Challenge, but yes. I am interested in it.

(I'll TG you more about it)
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Thu May 14, 2015 8:40 am

Everything thread is up
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Thu May 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Host Announcement

The live draw will take place in IRC Channel #WCOH27Draw on May 17 at 8:00 PM EDT (UTC-4). For those who have never done a live draw, please change the default name in the box to reflect your specific nation. For instance, I would change it to Lord AlmightyGregory|GGS because Lord Almighty Gregory is running the draw and my trigramme is GGS.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Thu May 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Is this still open?
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Thu May 14, 2015 1:26 pm

New Kvenland wrote:Is this still open?

You just missed it by 19 hours.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu May 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Host Announcement

The live draw will take place in IRC Channel #WCOH27Draw on May 17 at 8:00 PM EDT (UTC-4). For those who have never done a live draw, please change the default name in the box to reflect your specific nation. For instance, I would change it to Lord AlmightyGregory|GGS because Lord Almighty Gregory is running the draw and my trigramme is GGS.

Just a heads up, but I won't attend because that will be 2 AM for me. At least this way there should be more people online than if it were done at a time I can make.
Last edited by Ko-oren on Thu May 14, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Thu May 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Torisakia wrote:
New Kvenland wrote:Is this still open?

You just missed it by 19 hours.

Dammit. I take it there won't be another incarnation of it for a while?
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports