NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 71 Host Bid - H.R.E. and RK of Québec

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nephara
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephara » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah, if any decently good team gets some really bad luck - and it wouldn't take much in a 6-match group stage - their rank is gonna fucking crash and burn.

Though I guess the counterpoint is that a team punching above their weight and then getting destroyed in the second group stage would be punished for their achievement in the rankings, rather than rewarded.
WCC Grand Slam champion.
Accidental Gridiron Championship Silver Belt holders for six cycles??

Masculine, Feminine and Mixed-Sex Name Generators

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Will the playoff in the middle count towards the rankings? I don't believe there has ever been a World Cup Qualifying with a playoff in the middle, as opposed to at the end.

I also don't particularly like the rankings precedent, and wouldn't have supported it if I were around at the time, since it would create too much separation between the teams who advanced and the teams who didn't. But that has nothing to do with the bid itself, and I won't hold it against the bid. I will, however, oppose the following of the precedent in the event this bid wins, and instead support using the maximum points for each team's games, varying depending on whether they made the second stage or not.

Edit: The publicly listed formula on the spreadsheet says the formula for World Cup Qualifying KPB points is "points divided by games played, multiplied by the numbers listed for the relevant WCQ." I would interpret that to explicitly mean you have to divide points by the number of games that team played. The Constitution itself does not specify a formula, but says the formula must be public (it is, in the spreadsheet) and that it can only be changed by WCC vote. So assuming the Constitution was the same then as it is now (and I wasn't here, so I don't know) that precedent was incorrectly applied IMO and we shouldn't continue to follow it. Alternatively, we could vote to change the formula so that would be the correct method, but as I said above, I wouldn't support that.

This is the formula that was used to produce the adjusted point totals. The adjustment worked out to crediting every team eliminated after the first round with an additional 3 points beyond what they attained (for a 5 matchday second group stage). For a 3 matchday second group stage, teams would be credited with an additional 2 points. However, I'm not going to object should the rankings be handled in a different manner, if there's a general preference for handling it a different way. In the event that our bid wins, then that question will have to be settled.

As for the playoff, I think there's a pretty solid precedent that playoffs don't count toward the rankings and I see no reason to change that here. The reward for winning the playoff would be advancement to the second group stage. That said, if the final number is 180, then there wouldn't be any playoffs in the format at all.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Greater Watford
Envoy

Founded: Sep 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Watford » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:29 pm

On the one hand, I would like to see a 2-group qualifying stage, as I think it could work reasonably well, and can help deal with one of the usual problems of RP'ing against BoF nations who have already given up. On the other hand, as Nephara said, a good team who RP's could lose out, and take a hit to the rankings.

For the second round, how will the groups be determined? Would be they be seeded by KPB rankings, or by the rankings in the first gorup stage?
Honours:
International FireStorm V Cup Winner with Watford FC
International FireStorm VI Cup Winner with St Albans City FC

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:48 pm

Greater Watford wrote:For the second round, how will the groups be determined? Would be they be seeded by KPB rankings, or by the rankings in the first gorup stage?

We will use the scorination ranks from the final matchday of the first group stage to seed the draw for the second group stage. In other words: rank plus RP/roster bonus. The reasoning behind this is that rank plus bonus better reflects the relative strength of the teams going into the second group stage, leading to more balanced groups.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Free Republics wrote:
Greater Watford wrote:For the second round, how will the groups be determined? Would be they be seeded by KPB rankings, or by the rankings in the first gorup stage?

We will use the scorination ranks from the final matchday of the first group stage to seed the draw for the second group stage. In other words: rank plus RP/roster bonus. The reasoning behind this is that rank plus bonus better reflects the relative strength of the teams going into the second group stage, leading to more balanced groups.

How is that going to be explained ICly?
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Kernansquillec
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kernansquillec » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:05 pm

I take it any playoffs would be held on a neutral ground? Would they also be included within the side bids?

The changes are definitely a good move in my opinion. The qualification in two times would be interesting by having so many groups with so few teams per group in the first stage (unless you get a tough draw ^^).

I'm just wondering about the ranking system afterwards. I've only had a quick glance at the comments above and the previous formula, but my main worry is that a team that qualifies for the second round and then losses all their matches could end up worse off than a team that didn't qualify for the second round. That would seem quite unfair to me, but if the formula avoids that I'd be very close to backing this bid :)

(And PS: for the 200 team scenario I guess it's supposed to be the top 2 qualifying from the second phase unless you want a 47 team World Cup :P)
Winners of the 17th Rugby Union World Cup
Domestic Newswire ~ Football: 66th ~ UICA: 44th ~ Handball: 3rd
WANT A KIT? K KITS CAN HELP

Runners-up at Copa Rushmori XXI and at the XIV Handball World Cup
3rd Place at the WSWC I
4th Place at the 42nd Baptism of Fire & 19th Di Bradini Cup
Qualified for the 57th, 73rd and 74th World Cups

Previous

Return to NS Sports