NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 70 - RP Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yttribia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yttribia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:09 pm

The Outsiders
Part One

A brusque detainment cell had Mallory Stamford waiting to retell her point of view to the detectives. She had no idea on what was going to come out of all this. The large metal door detained Stamford, How long was she going to have to wait before being called in? She still is, after all, a stereotypical sorority girl attending an extremely selective university in addition to mooching her parents' money for tuition. No doubt that most, if not all, of her plans were going to be canceled for the day. She became much more worried as the small clock kept ticking. One minute. Two minutes. Five minutes. Fifteen minutes. Thirty minutes. Just the thought of her watching that clock tick without end made her drowsy. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Bang.

Thirteen minutes after falling asleep, the metal door burst wide open. The door hit the wall with great force, producing a sound that could be heard throughout the hallway. Stamford, rudely awaken, looked over at the cop.

"Huh? W-what's going on?" The middle-aged cop walked into the holding cell, and with a raspy voice, spoke to Stamford. "Miss Stamford, we'd like to ask you some questions, and then you'll be free to go. Understood?" A little quip in her voice was present, but she made herself clear. "Yes, sir." Mallory stood up from the metal bed, and followed the police officer into the interrogation room. The dimly lit hallways reminded Stamford of those movies she used to watch with her father as a young child. Oddly enough, most of the stereotypes had somehow come to life. Cat calls galore were yelled at as Stamford made her way though the hall. The sound of metal cups banging with the metal door tried to get Stamford off guard, but alas: they didn't. The hall seemed to get narrower and narrower as the two made their way down. Eventually, two small doors were on the left and right of them. These were the two options left, as straight ahead was a dead end. The officer took out his keychain, as he unlocked the door to the right. He walked inside, where he held the door open for Mallory. She obliged, and walked in.

"Have a seat, Miss Stamford." The man sitting on the other side of the room, was of large stature to say the least. Traces of grey, but predominantly black hair. An addiction to caffeine, as demonstrated by his four Styrofoam cups of coffee. "Allow me to introduce myself, Miss Stanford. I'm Detective Begnioli of the La Halda Police Department. I understand you were doing some charity work here, correct?" Begnioli's attitude was surprisingly warm, in contrast to the stereotypical detectives on television. "I was, detective Begnioli." Mallory felt something off about him, but she replied in a genuine manner. "It's always nice to see young people like you help out those who need it the most. You are studying at the University of Gremalsco, correct?" The clicking of Begnioli's pen showed he was desperate to get some information. Mallory was intrigued by Begnioli's question. "Yes. Double majoring in economics and psychology. Why do you ask?" He laughed, before taking a sip from his fourth cup of coffee. "I, too, was a student at the UoG. Those were good times." He sighs, remembering the fond memories from his four years at the University. "Moving on, I'd like to hear what went on the night of March 11, at around nine forty in the evening. Please, do tell." She took a deep breath, and with that, she began to tell her story.

It was chilly, for once. La Halda's streets were usually never this cold, but every once in a while, you'd need a jacket. This was one of those nights. Mallory had finished working her shift with the local crisis centre, as apart of her major requirements in psychology. She clocked out for the day, and returned back to the hotel she was residing in for the week. A slow night, as usual. She really thought the reputation La Halda got was over-exaggerated, and thought the city was alright. She made her way down Adelaide Avenue, before making a left onto Camara Street. The route was her usual route to the hotel. Up ahead she saw a man begging, pleading with two other men about something. Stamford hit the floor to see what was going on.

"P-please! I've got a wife! Two children! Is this how you deal with a lone protest?!" The guy was on the verge of tears. "Shut your mouth, boy. This is my town, and you play by my rules. You have a problem with our damn city, you can scram." A swift kick from the steel toe boot the man gave made the pleading man collapse onto the ground. The young man, spat out blood from his mouth. "You'll r-regret this day...mark my...words..." He was violently coughing at this point. Three teeth came out with all of the blood as he coughed. The two men looked at each other, with no remorse. "You're just a no-name, with no one around to watch us. How do you think we're going to regret it?" The two men took their boots, and kicked the man's head. Mallory was in disgust, but she kept quiet. The two men looked down at the still corpse. A voice on both of their shoulders interrupted their moment with the corpse.

After hearing what the voice said, the man obliged. "Alright, we're on our way." The two men hopped into their car, and started the engine. All of a sudden, police lights on their car had turned on. The siren was blaring as the cops drove off to wherever they were heading. Mallory stood up from where she was, once the coast was clear. After observing what she had just witnessed, she found a different way back to the hotel.

"And that's all I have to say." Stamford took a sip of water, as Begnioli finished writing what he had to write. He coughed, before finishing his final cup of coffee. "Alright, Miss Stamford. You're free to go." The young cop opened the door to the interrogation room, as Mallory stood up, and made her way outside. She received her stuff that she had kept with the department, and made her way outside. She was expecting there to be little to no fanfare outside, it was a Thursday afternoon. Thursdays were usually quite boring, for Mallory. But, she opened the door, and flashes of photography had blinded Stamford. The questions of why she was in there, whether or not she knew what happened to Armando Martinez, what she saw, and if it was true that the police had overused their authority all hit her like a bag of bricks. Students from the local community college held signs, seeking justice for this Armando Martinez fellow.

For today, was not a boring Thursday.

Isadora Declines, and The Qualifiers
- by Casey Montagne

Before we begin, I would like to thank Isadora Caravella's parents for being born in our great Confederation. I mean, if it weren't for them, we would most likely not be having this discussion. So to Enrico Caravella and Laura Grillo, thank you for being born and raised in the great town of Pontidexxu. Of course, we have to thank the talented Caravella herself for declining a call up to the Cormorants. Instead of bonding herself with the Nepharim national team, she's taking a gamble and considering the chance to play with the Yttribian National Team. I mean, what an honour it would be for us to have a young, talented goalkeeper make the right decision. I mean, yes her parents are dual citizens, but still! The fact that she's considering wearing purple instead of forest green is delightful news from the player. The Goodfeather FC player has certainly made an impression with the average fan of international club football. However, we here at ¡Vertigol! will respect the decision made by Caravella.

As always, there is the friendly reminder that we're a much better choice.

Moving on, qualifying groups have been announced for World Cup 70! How delightful! The bad news is that we're in a state of vertigo, yet again. This is the seventh tournament in which we've felt this state of vertigo, but I think it's time for us to accept our hand we've been dealt, and go on a fantastic rampage. Let's take a look at the team's we'll be facing, in their seeding order.

First Seed - Nephara - Rank: 16
A fantastic squad to encounter in qualifiers, there's no question that they will be a tough squad to deal with. Tough and versatile, Jess Mortlock is the mastermind behind the team. With one of the strongest foundations in all of football, we'll be having a tough time playing them at home. However, their weakness is the fact that their defence certainly isn't well balanced, because once we start...let's just say the brick is on the pedal. We're positive our two matches will certainly topple the hype that was made for The Final That Never Happened. However, there's no doubt that we'll see this squad heading to the World Cup, atop of the group. It's the question on whether or not this squad can go far in the proper tournament.

Second Seed - Quebec - Rank: 28
The Grim Reapers, killing of Taeshani hopes and dreams for who knows how long. You have a great forward in Xavier Hertel (rumored to be leaving Fontvieille FC), who for certain will be in charge of goal scoring opportunities. Their general attack-minded play is no surprise to the Ravens, who have now "embraced the front." However, you've got a player in Beauchemin who looks like he belongs in a retirement home at first glance. You've got an extremely strong squad, yes, but are they going to keep their momentum? Personally, this all depends with them. However, we can see the squad crashing out in third.

Third Seed - Yttribia - Rank: 51
Remember the time when Yttribia came in seventh back in World Cup 67 qualifiers, and ended up dead last in Cup of Harmony 59, with only one goal in their favor? Now, ten years and a change in the time-space continuum later, look at where the squad is now. Felixian Daniel Cardona has literally been adopted by our country as our own, with the grand reign of success he's brought in. The golden age of Yttribian football has come, and now it is time for us to seize the day. Totso, despite his age, has played for the legendary Starblaydi club: Iskara Daii. This is the mother-effing club Simeone di Bradini played for. When you've done that, get transfered to Audioslavian club Izotz Zubia, and then win the LigAnaia before he can rent a car, I think you've got the best goalkeeper in the world. With him at the posts, and other talented players, you've got yourself a stew brewing. We'll be in the playoffs, that's for sure.

Fourth Seed - Filopines - Rank: 70
A fall from grace, to say the least. You've got another senile player in Paul Rhett. He could accompany Beauchemin well in the "Retirement Home for Players Who've Run Out of Gas." But, they're a squad not to be joking with, as usual. For all we know, maybe Rhett has finally hung up the boots. We'll know if that's the case once their roster is announced. However, seeing the state the squad is in, there's no idea where this squad is being placed. The Filopino nationals want their team to do well, but to be frank: that may not happen. Success in all their future endeavors, we see them flopping to fifth.

Fifth Seed - The Saint James Islands - Rank: 143
What a fantastic squad we have here. I always enjoy seeing young squads doing well, such as these. A home grown squad, something that is now rarer than my steak. Now it's time to see if the rumors of a home grown squad equaling great chemistry is true. And some of the players have really caught the eyes of local clubs here in Yttribia, so if they impress well, they may be moving on up. They just better not impress well against us. I can see this squad sliding into fourth, providing the base for a possible skyscraper. There is one thing for certain, and that's the fact they'll become a household nation in a few cycles time.

Sixth Seed - Estenia - Rank: 207
You know, they try to hype themselves up as the next big thing. Being a cocky squad usually doesn't end up well in qualifiers. But I'll give them the fact that they did do well in their Baptism of Fire. Until they lost five nil against Isula ge Ru (I ask that any readers from that nation not send death threats, I know the accent mark isn't above the 'g'), and five two against whoever the hell ended up in third. But, while they may hype themselves as the next big thing: rest assured. They won't do that well, and finish in seventh. And that's the bottom line.

Seventh Seed - The Oaklands - Rank: 281
So, you have fans Ruentenbach, Osarius,the Polar Islandstates, and The Oaklands all walk into a pub. What do all four of these fans have in common? Their nations won their regional tournament. Yes, that's right: The Oaklands are champions of World Changers. And their Baptism of Fire performance was no laughing matter. However, we have no idea on whether or not they can follow through and perform superbly in these qualifiers. George Cannack is no laughing matter, having scored eight times in nine caps. Pretty impressive, but they're still a relatively inexperienced squad. However, they can pull off an upset or so, and can finish in sixth, which is where we have them pegged.

Eighth Seed - Pays d'en hut - Rank: 319
The Oaklands meet again with Pays d'en hut. Crash-outs from the first stage of their Baptism of Fire, there's no certainty that they are one of the weaker squads in the group. Les Habitants are filled with passion for the game, which is certainly a good thing in the evolving game of football. Their 4-5-1 does bring the issue of goal-scoring up, relying heavily on their defense to do all the dirty work. But with teams like Nephara, Quebec, and ourselves, they're going to need a miracle. We see the squad finishing in eighth, but if they do get their act together, they can pull off seventh. But that's only if they can get their act together.

Ninth Seed - Arvenia - Unranked
Six points for us, ninth place for them.

To wrap things up nicely, this is challenging, but not "World Cup 68 qualifiers" challenging. Our hopes are high. Our team is superb. Our fans are hyper. The nation is ready. The Ravens may soar higher than ever, and their destination? The World Cup.
The Yttribian Confederation
Hosted
World Cup 71 | Cup of Harmony 61 | Campionato Esportiva 11 | Campionato Esportiva 15
I have some experience. Key word is some.
Find me at Gortolekua now.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Cosumar Dragons Extended World Cup Preview - 20th Anniversary Edition

Trivia question, quick! In which World Cup did Cosumar make its debut? Take a moment to think if you need to.

World Cup 51 in Paripana and Septentrionia

If you got it wrong, shame on you. You're a terrible Dragons fan. Either that, or...you weren't alive yet. Which I suppose is actually a distinct possibility in retrospect considering how long ago that was. For those of us that have lived through it all, it really doesn't seem that long. But if one does the math, World Cup 70 will be the 20th consecutive one with The Fiefdom of Cosumar in the fray.

And what a 20 Cups it has been. There have been spectacular moments, like when we qualified for the first time with that brilliant 4-0 victory over Haginonia in World Cup 54. Like the late winners that gave the Dragons 1-0 triumphs over Andossa Se Mitrin Vega and Sarzonia to send us to the Round of 16 in World Cups 56 and 57. Like our dominant World Cup 59 run that included wins over Vilita and Pasarga in an undefeated WC Group phase. But there have been just as many disheartening moments. Like Kagdazka and Pazhujebu ending said World Cup 59 run on penalties in the Round of 16. Like embarrassing 4-1 and 4-0 Round of 16 losses to Jeru FC and The Babbage Islands in the World Cups prior to that. Like the 2-0 loss to Vilita in the qualification playoff of World Cup 60 that initiated Cosumar's decline from prominence.

And most recently, our frustrating inability to return to the World Cup proper. Both of our last two qualification campaigns have fallen to ruins at the very last moment. In World Cup 68 it was losing to those damned Samebans on the final Matchday to allow them to leapfrog us for 2nd place. Last time around, in World Cup 69, it was our 6-2 spanking at the hands of Farfadillis in the qualification playoff. So close, but still so far.

You can say as many eloquent words as you like about the Cup of Harmony and how it helps us improve and whatnot, but those of us who can remember the glory days are sick of the Cup of Harmony. Cosumar belongs in the World Cup. The 20th anniversary of our debut seems as good of a time as any to make our return. Unfortunately, nostalgia and anniversaries do not help you win. Something has to be different on the pitch for us to avoid another playoff exit or 3rd place finish.

Cosumar's ranking has jumped from #70 to #65 in the WC rankings, but some arbitrary number is the least important of the changes from World Cup 69. It's a new cycle, a new team, and there will be new challenges. With Matchday 1 looming, let's take a look at some of the key events that took place this week that could shed some light on Cosumar's twentieth Qualifying journey.

Farris Crowley unveils final roster selections, starting XI

At a Sunday press conference in Kaldukosic, Farris Crowley confirmed his final list of players who will represent Cosumar in World Cup 70. He was also able to provide us with his projected Starting XI for a huge Matchday 1 trip to Super-Llamaland. The full squad is in alphabetical order by position below with starters bolded:

Goalkeepers: Tomi Koskinen (Ramusok United), Robert Sieuwerd (Real Azuris), Jakk Winterfyll (Crawford City FC)

Defenders: Abdiel Assad (Eastweald), Arndu Farsgaard (Cazadores Cathair), Maynard Gorham (Peswick Town), Jukka Lindroos (Centus Serpents), Tae Woo Miyori (Blau-Weiss Pallstadt), Kirum Mortonsson (Ramusok United), Jon-Perohlin Nodtveit (OAS Royal FC), Sheldon Serra (Zenit Attawapiskat)

Midfielders: Giovanni Aldinne (Real Azuris), Anders Engström (Mallox), Petri Hansen (Sieberg), Felix Merchison (Viztourzys Kolektyvinis), Dean McSaunders (Vijallu), Vareza Na'Noni (Red Star Severny), Ace Newman (Cassandra City), Paaron Petrov (Fadron Flight), Francois Renault (Molsbik Arkjet), Timo Sorben (West Bay)

Forwards: Sur Arora (OAS Royal FC) (C), Ipier Ubuntu (Real Azuris), Sergio Vilar (Levadia Narkiv)

Crowley's World Cup 69 roster was criticized for prioritizing experience and name recognition at the expense of talented young players. The average age (29) was one of the oldest in the competition. His squad exceeded expectations, but media and fans alike still clamored to see more young superstars on the team this time around.

With the golden generation (referring to the core of footballers that energized a Cosumarite renaissance in the sport around WC 66/67) that Crowley wants to cling to finally fading into the twilights of their careers, he is now forced to start moving on and giving more new players a chance. It seems Crowley has realized that the real way to honor the impact of the likes of Alexander Pearce is to take advantage of the spring of exciting young talent they inspired, not to keep calling them up at their ever-advancing age.

Indeed, nine players on this World Cup 70 roster are embarking on their first World Cup, including three new starters (Nodtveit, Merchison, Newman). Though there are still plenty of grizzled World Cup veterans on the roster (the oldest being Giovanni Aldinne, 34), it is more balanced this time. The average age is now 27. This youth movement is likely to go even further in WC 71 and 72 because several top Cosumarite players (Arora, Miyori, Koskinen, Petrov) are in their low-30s and nearing the wrong side of their prime years.

But let's take it one World Cup at a time, shall we? I am convinced that this is the best Starting XI Cosumar has fielded since the Glory Days of World Cup 59. They have a steely back line bookended by LB Jukka Lindroos and RB Tae Woo Miyori, who have both excelled overseas in Vilita and Buyan, respectively. Kirum Mortonsson and Jon Nodtveit are proven, intimidating figures in central defense and make few mistakes. In the event something does get past them, they have Tomi Koskinen, a potential future World Cup Hall of Famer, guarding the goal. Vareza Na'Noni, the do-it-all Vloo midfielder, has improved by leaps and bounds since his debut in WC 69 by playing in the Polarian league. He covers more ground than anyone on the team and is instrumental on both sides of the ball. Wingers Anders Engström and Ace Newman are explosive young stars with goal-producing flair coming out of their ears. Center midfielder Paaron Petrov directs the attack with poise and precision, and is a savvy set-piece specialist. To top it off, the Dragons also have a bona-fide world-class striker in Sur Arora, who is finally back to optimal health and form. He has a great chance of surpassing Rikki Varshney to become Cosumar's all-time leading goalscorer during Qualifying.

In the image of the back-to-back Harlighet Ligan champions Real Azuris, this Cosumarite squad will press the ball exceptionally well and play a high octane yet precise attacking style of football. When the Dragons are on point, it is great to watch and hugely difficult for most opponents to stifle.

What about weaknesses, you ask? Aside from Miyori, the Cosumarite defenders lack elite athleticism. Supremely fast attacking players could burn them. Felix Merchison is a bit of an unknown at DM. He's probably the least-known of the Cosumarite starters and his only senior National Team experience was with the "B-Team" that was sent to this years' Olympics. He earned an invite to training camp with his solid play in Buyan and won a starting spot by flat-out outplaying returning starter Dean McSaunders, but WC experience is something that can't be taught. Another key weakness is more of a "what if" scenario. After breaking his leg in WC 69 Qualifying, it took the iconic forward almost a full year to fully recover and even more time to find his groove again. I don't want to call him injury prone, but if he gets hurt again, the Dragons do not have a counterpart on the roster than can replicate on any level what Arora brings to the table.

Any surprise selections? Aside from Merchison being tabbed as a starter, the only name I was truly surprised to see on Crowley's list was midfielder Timo Sorben. Another example of Crowley's youth movement, 23-year-old Sorben was selected for a backup role ahead of Eido Noldor, who played in World Cup 69. But Noldor is only a few years older than Sorben and generally considered the better player. Rumor has it that Crowley disapproved of Noldor's decision accept a lucrative offer from Frostmarris FC of The Icemark despite prospects of playing in better leagues. Now Noldor is in Crowley's doghouse, and Sorben (who plays in the Barunian league) will have a crack at making his mark on Cosumarite football instead.

Any snubs? Aside from Noldor, the biggest snub was forward Coden Hari, who was leading the Buyanese Top Division in goals. Hari had a disappointing spell with Eastweald, but put his name back on the radar of the National Team with his resurgence in Buyan. He's a big, physical target, the type of forward that could fill in for Arora in the event of injury. It's hard to say he's more deserving than Vilar or Ubuntu, but I would rather have a fourth forward (Hari) on the squad than an unnecessary third goalkeeper.

Positive performances by the Cosumarites in Pre-Qual Friendlies

The newly announced squad of 24 traveled to Star United States last month for their first Pre-Qual Friendly of the WC69 Cycle. Many of the reserve players were given ample playing time to keep the top players well-rested. This was valuable experience for those guys, who could be called on to step in and perform at a high level with little notice in the event of injury.

It was clear that neither team was acclimated to World Cup play yet, as it was a largely dull and sloppy match with minimal chances produced on either end. The highlight of the evening was a sensational diving save by Fernando Spark, denying Ace Newman at point-blank range. The Dragons eventually settled for a scoreless draw with the hosts, conjuring memories of the 3-3 draw with Star United States before WC 69. Luke Curtis' side will be glad with the result. SUS was lucky to not start their campaign with a loss, as Cosumar controlled the possession and started to come alive late.

Cosumar - 0
Star United States - 0

Quite a bit more exciting was the Dragons' second friendly fixture, a home meeting with host San Jose Guayabal at Leviathan Arena. It's still early, but the World Cup fever was clearly alive in Kaldukosic for this one. The atmosphere at the Arena was exquisite and at times felt like a World Cup Finals match. The chants of thousands of Cosumarite supporters spurred the Dragons on to a 2-1 victory over their 33rd-ranked opponents. The all-time series between the two nations is now 1-1 (the Guayabalense won 3-1 in their friendly visit to Cosumar in the WC69 post-quals).

With Matchday 1 right around the corner, Farris Crowley treated this game like a final dress rehearsal before Qualifying. Top players stayed on the pitch and the reserves stayed on the bench. Cosumar took the momentum early as they began the game with three shots in five minutes, but the opening goal eluded them until the 35th minute. Paaron Petrov ditched his defender and lobbed a precise cross to Sur Arora, who was flying toward goal in the six-yard box. The forward punched the ball past the keeper with his forehead to set up a 1-0 lead. It was Arora's first goal for Cosumar since breaking his leg in World Cup 69 Qualifying. The Captain pulled his jersey over his head and ran across the field as the ecstatic crowd sung his name.

However, goal sparked the visiting side, and they began to ruthlessly attack chinks in the armor of Cosumar's defense. San Jose Guayabal had plenty of chances late in the first half, taking nine shots. After half time, Cosumar continued to sit back as the Guayabalense pushed forward. In the 83rd minute, they finally broke through. Off a foul, SJG got good position for a free kick and set up a substitute midfielder for an easy scoring chance, silencing Leviathan Arena. But the Dragons would respond.

Cosumar keyed in on San Jose Guayabal's overaggressive play and were able to set up a corner in the 90th minute off of a blocked scoring chance. A short corner was played to Vareza Na'Noni, who quickly found Tae Woo Miyori, who dribbled to his right and fired home the late winner.

Cosumar - 2
Arora (35'), Miyori (90')
San Jose Guayabal - 1
83'

Cosumar drawn into Group 15 with Osarius, Super-Llamaland

HorusLand. Zips Nation. The Greater Vakolicci Haven. Osarius. Super-Llamaland. Cosumar. Dracum. Ancharmunn. Peruvian Highlands. These nine unique nations, from far-flung locations across the multiverse, have been drawn together by fate (or Goddess Margaret, for those who believe) to duke it out over the coming weeks. Each of them have different goals for this World Cup. Some are football powerhouses with a WC title in their sights. Others are trying to return to the World Cup after missing out in WC 69. Yet others are tiny countries new to the sporting scene, and will merely be trying to make a positive first impression. But all nine have one thing in common: they now belong to Group 15.

Winning the group is not a realistic expectation for the Dragons, so if we hope to qualify it must be as one of the top three runner-ups or as the victor of a two-legged playoff. The Dragons do not have a very pleasant history in qualification playoffs (WC 69's 6-2 debacle against Farfadillis being the most recent example), so accumulating enough points to qualify directly from 2nd place is the ultimate goal. It won't be easy. As a Pot 3 nation, Cosumar will have to thwart the odds and pull some upsets to sneak into the Top 2. Let's take a closer look at what we're up against.

HorusLand (79) - HorusLand surprised some people by racking up 27 points in WC69 Qualifying, good enough for 3rd place. This boosted their ranking into the top 80 for this World Cup. This Rushmori nation is known for its unusual jersey featuring a giant cactus. Don't get any delusions that this symbolizes a prickly defense - they allow goals by the bucketload. Unfortunately for the rest of Group 15, they also are a dangerous team in the attack. The Dragons need to be wary of Rinne Salovaara's team. If they catch us off guard, they could make us pay.

Zips Nation (350) - Mmmm cupcakes. Zips Nation is competing in their first World Cup. They had a dismal showing in the Baptism of Fire, going 0-1-3. Should be an easy 6 points for Cosumar.

The Greater Vakolicci Haven (112) - This Sondrian kingdom made its World Cup debut in the 68th edition in Free Republics, and finished with a decent 15 points. They showed improvement in World Cup 69, earning 4th place in the same Qualifying group as HorusLand. The Vakolicci shouldn't pose too much of a threat to Cosumar, but they aren't a complete pushover either. They have some quality sprinkled throughout their team, especially Prince of Celeria.

Osarius (2) - World powerhouse Osarius will just be trying to coast through without any injuries. No one in this group really has a chance of challenging them at the top of the table. They advanced all the way to the Semifinals in World Cup 69 before finally falling at the hands of Audioslavia, and then proceeded to dismantle Legalese in the 3rd place match. The Firebirds will be back with a vengeance in World Cup 70. Cosumar's campaign could come down to their trip to Mount Crown Stadium on the last day of Qualifying. Osarius is truly fearsome in the counter-attack, which has been the Dragons' Achilles heel at times in recent years. If the Firebirds have a vulnerability, it will be at the hands of Cosumar's talented wingers Engstrom and Newman.

Super-Llamaland (42) - The second-highest ranked team in Group 15, Super-Llamaland is the most prominent threat to Cosumar's dream of qualifying. They had a terrible debut in World Cup 62, but rapidly improved in the following tourneys. In World Cup 68, the Llamaneans shocked the world by dominating Group 2 with 35 points to qualify for the first time. They didn't make it out of their group in the World Cup, but still, it was quite the impressive run - and they were rightfully rewarded in the rankings. They receded a bit in World Cup 69, however, and failed to even make the playoff. Bogdan Antonescu is sure to be hungry to prove World Cup 68 wasn't a fluke. They have a very good team. Not quite great, but very good. Alex Cartwright and Peter Masters are tremendous strikers. Midfielder Jake Wiggins, who plays for Eastweald here in Cosumar, did not make the roster but it seems he has been more than adequately replaced by Kyle Sturgeon and Anthony Player. Their defense seems to have improved from past Cups, though their goalkeeping may be a tad lacking. I see both Cosumar-Llamaland matches being tight contests. It will likely come down to those two matches to determine who will advance out of the group alongside Osarius. Dragons fans should be rooting against Super-Llamaland just as hard as they are rooting for Cosumar.

Dracum (UR) - Dracum is a small, devout nation with little football tradition to speak of. The only unranked team in the group, they will have to overachieve by unprecedented proportions to do any damage in Group 15. I do believe they are better than the typical unranked side, however. Ali Traversi is a deadly striker and Paolo di Stefano is a fiery vocal leader for this young team, but there's not much around them. Their defense should be easy pickings for the likes of Cosumar and HorusLand, but don't be surprised if they sneak in a goal or two here and there.

Ancharmunn (153) - Yet another team from Group 7 of WC 69 Qualifying, the same group as HorusLand and The Greater Vakolicci Haven. Ancharmunn have had a presence in the sporting world for a long time, but have not had much World Cup success to go along with it. They were once a respectable team back in the days of World Cup 66, but withdrew from football thereafter and returned in World Cup 69 with a team of upper-class gentlemen with only recreational experience. Despite this (and their horrid fuchsia-olive kits), they managed to win a few matches and finish 6th. The Rushmori nation has not released a roster yet, but if they send out the same apathetic dandies as they did last time, they do not stand a chance.

Peruvian Highlands (272) - Like Zips Nation, the Peruvian Highlands recently completed their Baptism of Fire in Group H. Unlike the Zips, the Peruvians had a respectable 2-1-1 showing, despite narrowly missing the knockout stage. Tactically, they are a very similar team to Cosumar, but they just don't have the same caliber of players. We shouldn't discount them completely because they are certainly capable of forcing us to a stubborn draw if we don't take them seriously.

All in all, the Group Draw could've been a lot worse for Cosumar. Yeah, the Dragons got stuck with the #2 team in the world, but Super-Llamaland is one of the most vulnerable Pot 2 sides. We could've been stuck with Farfadillis again - in addition to Osarius. And below Cosumar, there's really no one other than HorusLand in this group with even the remotest aspirations of qualifying.

Here's how I see Group 15 shaping up:
1. Osarius
2. Cosumar
----------
3. Super-Llamaland
4. HorusLand
5. The Greater Vakolicci Haven
6. Peruvian Highlands
7. Dracum
8. Ancharmunn
9. Zips Nation

Yes, I know, I'm biased in my placement of Cosumar. One could make just as good of a case for putting Super-Llamaland in 2nd. But I don't put much stock in rankings, I watch the matches and decide who the better team is with my eyes. I'm not saying I think Cosumar will finally return to the World Cup proper, but I do think they have a realistic chance to at least make the playoff again. I think Farris Crowley will figure out a way to get them there.

Thank you for reading this special World Cup 70 Preview edition of The Cosumarite Courier. This marks the start of our full cycle of exclusive and exciting World Cup 70 Coverage. Follow us on Twitter @TheCourier or subscribe to our website (TheCourier.cos) to receive daily updates and analysis of Cosumar's progress in the tournament.

Wally Vanderjagt
Staff Writer

Cosumar's World Cup 69 Journey
Pre-Qual Friendly: Star United States 0-0 Cosumar
Pre-Qual Friendly: Cosumar 2-1 San Jose Guayabal
Pre-Qual Friendly: Equestrian States vs. Cosumar (@ Equestrian States, awaiting confirmation)
Matchday 1: Super-Llamaland vs. Cosumar
Matchday 2: Bye
Matchday 3: Cosumar vs. Dracum (@ Leviathan Arena, Kaldukosic, Cosumar)
Matchday 4: Ancharmunn vs. Cosumar
Matchday 5: Cosumar vs. Peruvian Highlands (@ Fire River Arena, Ramusok, Cosumar)
Matchday 6: HorusLand vs. Cosumar
Matchday 7: Cosumar vs. Zips Nation (@ Leviathan Arena, Kaldukosic, Cosumar)
Matchday 8: The Greater Vakolicci Haven vs. Cosumar
Matchday 9: Cosumar vs. Osarius (@ Leviathan Arena, Kaldukosic, Cosumar)
Mid-Qual Friendlies: TBD
Matchday 10: Cosumar vs. Super-Llamaland (@ Leviathan Arena, Kaldukosic, Cosumar)
Matchday 11: Bye
Matchday 12: Dracum vs. Cosumar
Matchday 13: Cosumar vs. Ancharmunn (@ Leviathan Arena, Kaldukosic, Cosumar)
Matchday 14: Peruvian Highlands vs. Cosumar
Matchday 15: Cosumar vs. HorusLand (@ Fire River Arena, Ramusok, Cosumar)
Matchday 16: Zips Nation vs. Cosumar
Matchday 17: Cosumar vs. The Greater Vakolicci Haven (@ Leviathan Arena, Kaldukosic, Cosumar)
Matchday 18: Osarius vs. Cosumar
Blue: Draw
Green: Victory
Red: Defeat

Cosumar's Goal-Scorers Tally (0 GF)
Last edited by Cosumar on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Jeru FC
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 16, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jeru FC » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:24 am

Jeru FC coach Princess Amy and player L3g3nd@ry L0v3r

L0v3r: Hey coach, how come no one wants to play friendlies against us?
Amy: Oh that, we can't afford to host or send you lot to play friendlies
L0v3r: Really?
Amy: Yes, they are cutting down on unnecessary costs this cup
L0v3r: That includes friendies?
Amy: Friendies aren't technically needed I guess but I wish we could afford a few

L0v3r: What about the one against Jeruselem?
Amy: Apparently that one is off too
L0v3r: Why is that?
Amy: Apparently the Jeru FC team misbehave a lot during that one
L0v3r: All those pretty girls, I mean. It's not our fault
Amy: Yes well, they want the team to have a cleaner image

L0v3r: So why did they pick a team of weirdos
Amy: I don't know, I didn't pick the team. I just lumped with you lot
L0v3r: Don't worry coach, we'll do our best
Amy: Our group doesn't look too bad even though we've never played most of them
L0v3r: So which teams do we know?
Amy: Well, The Calanian Union - known by it's other name and Bostopia

L0v3r: Bostopia?
Amy: Oh yes, you're too young to remember them
L0v3r: I guess I am
Amy: We do have Bostopians in our family
L0v3r: Aren't they the ones who like being naked?
Amy: No, that's the Qazians

L0v3r: Oh right, you're kinda Qazian right?
Amy: Yes, I am.
L0v3r: You look good naked too
Amy: Err, thanks. I guess you would say that.
L0v3r: You'd be best looking coach in the world cup
Amy: I dunno, there could be some pretty young coaches out there

L0v3r: Yeah but most of them wear clothes
Amy: Oh yes
L0v3r: I know a few Qazian girls
Amy: A few? Just a few
L0v3r: Well, I've lost count how many girls I've been with
Amy: Or you can't count

Gloriax
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gloriax » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:24 am

A Stern Message to Gregoryisgodistan

At the Gloriax State HQ, Titania

Mason looked around impatiently as he slammed the newspaper down on his table, as if looking for someone urgently.

“Get Keane here immediately!” Mason shouted out to his PA, who somehow managed a feeble “Yes Sir” and sped off to call the Gloriaxian Central Defence minister, Rob Keane. A man in the late 40s, Keane wasn’t one of the fittest guys around, but his intelligence made up for it, big time. It is mainly because of this reason that he was seeing himself in the Central Government.

“Yes, Mr. President?” Keane said in a confused tone. Why this urgency? He had no clue.

“I hope you’re keeping track of what’s going on in Gregoryisgodistan, Keane. We might not have any problems with them, but what they’re doing, is invading other peaceful and sovereign nations without any solid reason to, literally baselessly. This doesn’t put me in a very comfortable state of mind…”

Keane expected this to be coming soon. Gregoryisgodistan have seriously taken enough crazy military moves to make the Gloriaxians afraid of the proceedings.

“Not a problem, Sir. I have already strengthened security throughout Gregoryisgodistan-Gloriax borders, and there is even increased security throughout the coasts of Gloriax, in anticipation of a naval attack, although it seems entirely unlikely that the latter shall happen. I do not see a further issue in Gregoryisgodistan’s moves, Sir.”

“No, Keane. I won’t rest until I have signed a treaty with Gregoryisgodistan regarding war and peace. To do that, I’m willing to go to any lengths, even declaring war on that psychotic dictatorship!”

“Are you absolutely sure, Sir? I have already stationed the 36th Guerrilla Assassins, 20,000 strong regiment on the border, right on the edge of the town of Ward 15, District 26; the closest Gregoryisgodistani town.”

“Go ahead…” Mason’s heart shook a little with those few words, but he guessed it was a decision waiting to be taken. Great men never fell short of making tough decisions even in situations when the odds were stacked up high against them…

“Come in Captain Meyers, come in!” Rob Keane spoke patiently into the walkie-talkie.

“Yes?” a jittery reply came in from the other end.

“It’s a go ahead, I repeat, it’s a go-ahead.” Keane said as he waited for confirmation.

“Roger that. Over and out…” The voice on the other side faded away into static.

At the 36th Guerrilla Assassins’ base, Gloriax-GGS border

“Okay, fellow Gloriaxians, the time has come when the call of duty is upon us, and we have to respond to it as best we can…” the Captain spoke, as there ¬was an eerie pin-drop silence in the 20,000 people who heard him either directly, or through walkie-talkie connections. He continued “The time, my friends, has come to show the world what Gloriax was, is, and can and will have the potential to do in future. It is not about spreading violence, people. This little act of violence is the path for greater peace in the coming years. It is now our duty to say ‘Glory to Gloriax’ and kill whichever armed personnel stands in your way. You may need to lay your lives at the end of it all, but the country will remember all the valiant heroes that fought this war. Forever…”

There was an epic silence in everybody for a few seconds after hearing this. As if everyone was suddenly spell bounded. A loud cheer, followed by another, followed by the rest of the 20,000 filled the air. The energy was amazing in the people who will be behind enemy lines in just a few moments.

An overpowering voice broke the monotonous cheering and clapping, “But before you get to do the most honourable job in the whole of Gloriax, you’ve got to remember a few things…
1) No civilians to be injured,
2) Don’t let yourself be seen,
3) Kill any armed personnel within range. No sign no sound.
Get me boys?” the Captain seemed as if he had finished his speech.

“Let’s go and kill some Gregoryisgodistanis, shall we?” Meyers shouted out as the whole regiment erupted in a large roar. The battle was certainly on. Captain Meyers led the way as 200 companies of soldiers marched on, not really knowing what to expect, or what lies ahead in their path.

After a few minutes, the 36th GA was at the border. A huge wall lay in front of them. “Up and over…” Captain Meyers signalled to the rest of the squadron leaders, as they led their companies on. The snipers took their positions first on the tops of trees just right about on the border, and eliminated all the border guards on the other side of the wall – no sweat. As twenty thousand black-uniformed men climbed over the wall and into Gregoryisgodistani lands, soldiers attacked from all sides. To the 36th GA, these soldiers were utterly unfit, and were not trained to fight wars, in general, but more to torture the poor Gregoryisgodistani people. Nevertheless, they eliminated them, all of them (they thought) and moved further into the town. Every 15 metres or so, a soldier was there to guard the nation’s frontier town. There, they found little soldiers, maybe as small as 7 or 8 years old – gun in hand, and threatening to kill. Even though their hearts were not with their minds, the 36th GA had to kill any military personnel within range. Those were precisely the orders given to them.

Not after a long period of time, was Ward 15 under Gloriaxian control. Swarms of citizens with violet-tinged clothes forced into their homes, and a permanent curfew announced. No Gregoryisgodistani citizen was to move in or out of their homes.

The scenario of the war now changed. 20,000 Gloriaxian soldiers now took positions within buildings for their guerrilla strategies, and some chose to stay in the open for an all-out war… Some soldiers went around gathering knowledge about every nook and corner of the town. It might make all the difference when it came to defending the city. Snipers were placed, landmines planted. 20 minutes passed in the process… Still no Gregoryisgodistani response…
Nation: Republic of Gloriax | Capital: Titania
President (Champion): Jesse Waters | Population: 1,700,000

Get your football kits from: Aer Sportswear (Storefront II)

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:46 am

As World Cup qualifying is set to begin, Osarius boss Jermain Lewis has seen fit to tinker with the players available to him. Some have questioned his decision to change "a winning selection", but Lewis has scoffed at the idea that any change he makes might be detrimental to the national team's success. "This notion that changing a winning team is a bad idea ... it makes no sense." Lewis told OSN. "Tactical variation breeds success. You have to let your methods vary, like the circumstances can and will." The Osarius manager went on to explain further, pointing out that his squad selection against a defensive team like Ishmael Walker's Maklohi Vai would be vastly different from the squad he would select against a heavily offensive side like Farfadillis, for example.

Last cycle, the national team embarked on a tour around Osarius, fielding experimental squads against varied opposition, and it seemed to be of benefit. "The tour two years ago let us test some different systems, and different combinations." Lewis said. "And that, in turn, allowed us to be more flexible when the time came during the World Cup proper."

When asked if the team intended to do something similar this cycle, Lewis explained there were no concrete plans, though two away friendlies with similarly experimental lineups have taken place against teams managed by his former teammates. A 5-2 victory over Habib Kouli's Jeckland and a 2-2 draw with Jayson Dhanda's Quebecois Grim Reapers, both of which underlined the depth of quality Osarius now possess, as neither squad contained more than three players with notable international experience.

Of particular interest to Lewis for the upcoming cycle might be the young midfielder Fabio Mancini, who featured prominently in the convincing win over Jeckland. Though Roque Acosta is still playing to a high level, and is still capable of leading the team, it would be foolish to believe that the midfielder's dynamism can hold up much longer. With that in mind, many believe that Lewis is grooming Mancini as a long-term replacement for his captain. "He's a talented young player and we're keeping a close eye onn his progress... but it's a little regrettable that he couldn't stay in Osarius." Lewis admitted. "But I don't want to get too much into that." Lewis' apprehension is understandable, Mancini is still young, and relatively unproven, and there are several other options he can rely on while he waits for that particular fruit to ripen.

One major concern for Lewis is the progress made by Marco Puntoriero. The young Firewood striker made a great start to his career at Violia, and was earmarked early on as a potential long-term replacement for Ezio Grassi. However, since his big money move to the north, he has been somewhat disappointing for the Fire. Last season, Lewis' old club struggled dramatically, and only avoided relegation from LigAnaia One by virtue of league rules not allowing there to be less than two Osarian clubs in the top flight. "Marco is adjusting. He'll be okay." Lewis insisted. He may have a point, Puntoriero looked sharp for Osarius in the Rabastor Trophy last month, but the concerns linger. Some have even suggested that this might be the last real chance for the Firebirds to win the World Cup for a while.

"You hear in gridiron the concept of a 'championship window' where you build a top calibre team, balancing experience and promising youth, and there's a finite amount of time before that team is no longer top calibre. That's the 'championship window'." Grasshoppers Turic manager Roberto Cormega explained. "I think we're nearing the end of that window for Osarius. There are some great players coming through, who can replace the guys on their way out, but there's a gap. There's something you can't replace about some of these guys. Guys like Ezio Grassi, for example, come along once in a generation, once every two or three generations even. And Jermain knows this. Expect to see him really push the team this cycle."

When asked whether he believed that Osarius' AOCAF winning side, of under 25s, could become a World Cup contender side in its own right in a few years, Cormega was cautiously optimistic. "Perhaps. They looked strong en route to that win, even considering the surprise loss to Hakifao Isles at the start. But really, it's hard to say, because we've seen talented Osarius sides at age restricted levels who didn't quite live up to the expectation more than once in the past."

Looking at Osarius' qualifying group, it seems reasonable to assume they will finish as group winners and earn an automatic qualifying berth, though Lewis is alert to the potential problems posed by Cosumar and Super-Llamaland. "Both teams can cause us some trouble. We'll need to be on our guard against them especially, but I'm not letting myself get too worried about dropping points. I'm confident we can win out, I expect us to win out. The players know this."
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

HopNation
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby HopNation » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 am

HopNation Sports

11-17-14
HDT|2014|v.321

HERE WE GO – GROUP 4

The next cycle is before us and we’ve done some good things to prepare. We won our first international competition leading up to just a few weeks back with a victory over Buyan 1-0 AET to claim the third iteration of the Beltane Cup. That is a tournament been in since it started and I’ll admit it doesn’t have the greatest of competitors, well sure there is Buyan, the Sarian, Greater Watford, and a couple others but no one jumps out of the field claiming to be the best. Good sure, but the best no. Although this edition saw a guest competitor in the likes of Farfadillis join in the fun, they lost to Buyan and then lost the third place playoff to Greater Watford. Ipso facto we must be better than Farfadillis right? Probably not because I don’t think they sent a full senior team roster to that tournament. Either way we are taking the win in stride and have been training as hard as ever to get ready for this World Cup adventure. We’ve been training with new equipment thanks to the work done between the Buyan’s football federation and HopNation’s Sports Authority. Our squad is looking good and since these things happen so fast it looks like we’ll be fielding the same team as the last cycle, so hopefully all goes well and they can play as well or better than in the Beltane Cup.

Group 4
1. Darvale (113)
2. The Fair Republic (165)
3. Holy Republican Empire (10)
4. United Eastedge (90)
5. HopNation (48)
6. Tumbra (264)
7. Octinstine (UR)
8. Bandwagon (306)
9. Farfadillis (20)

position number not
representative of group place
As for this cycle we’ve been placed into Group 4 and will be up against some formidable foes. Some we’ve seen in the past and some are completely new, but that’s to be expected with a tournament of this caliber. No matter the challenger we’ll need to bring our best form into each match if we hope to make it past qualifying and into the big dance for the first time ever. Lets see who all we have in our group this edition.

MD 1(H) + 10(A): Tumbra (264)
This team is an up and comer who I see as having a shot at displacing a few higher ranked teams if those teams are not careful. The Blue Lions managed to win their group in the BOF but fell short and were eliminated in the round of 16 by eventual BOF Champion Isula ge Ru. They’ve got some work to do, but should contend in this group and I see them finishing higher than where their rank puts them and they should score a good number of goals in their 4-2-3-1 style with an emphasis on attacking wide.

MD 2(A) + 11(H): Octinstine (UR)
I don’t know much about this team, though maybe I should being that they have been around for a while. They started back in WC 63 and had ranking as high as 57 at one point with a total record of 66/28/57, but due to some reason or another they have been hiding on the international stage and have slipped back to being unranked. They will also be in a 4-2-3-1, but a little less attacking than Tumbra. I don’t see them making any waves as they try to rebuild into a great football nation.

MD 3(H) + 12(A): Bandwagon (306)
I’m not jumping on this one, at least not with one win, one draw, and two loses in the BOF. They were eliminated in the group stage and didn’t look very good in any of their games. We’ll see if they show up to this cup or simply loose their wheels trying to get here.

MD 4(A) + 13(H): Farfadillis (20)
We haven’t heard from them for a while, sure they were in as a guest for the 3rd Beltane Cup but as far as notable achievements they’ve been quiet for a while. They are coming in second in our group and ranked 20th overall so they can’t be counted out even when we haven’t seen anything special from them in a while. They know how to get things done when needed to and they will be a tough team for us to face, thankfully we have a somewhat easier schedule leading up to the games against them. They will challenge for the top spot in this group, but hopefully we can overcome them at least once in the two meetings.

MD 5(H) + 14(A): Darvale (113)
Not sure what to call them for sure since they have a few names that they respond to. The Goats will be sporting some new kits, but I’m afraid they will remain in old form despite a fresh look and updated roster. Sure they will win some games and lose some games along the way but in the end no one will remember them this cycle. I think they will score a bunch of goals in their attacking 3-2-2-3, however it wont be more than they allow. Their new talents will be put to the test as they mix in with a few veterans, we’ll see how Simmons manages to bring them together.

MD 6(A) + 15(H): The Fair Republic (165)
Seems we all, well not all, like to use the 4-2-3-1 with Toucans also using this style. They tend to play it a bit more neutral than most with a good balance between defense and offense. Trying to look back I think we have split games with them in the past but this time out we should surely route them both times, assuming we play well on the road. One thing that concerns me is that they look to be bringing just eleven players with them, not sure what that is all about or if they are just waiting to release their subs/reserves until a later date.

MD 7(H) + 16(A): Holy Republican Empire (10)
What is this team again, o right the Free Republics. The team still has their lead boss in charge so I don’t think much has changed with them, I mean after all most people still know and refer to this team as the Free Republics or Republican National Team. They have been in one final and a quarter final their last two World Cups and have remained on form for a good number of tournaments. The team builds a strong tradition of football as we’ve seen the youth squad perform well and many of them will be on this roster going forward. They once again will perform well as their manager will surely have them well tuned and playing as a single unit, especially by the time they meet up with our Hops. I’m just hopeful that we can pull off a draw in at least one of our two meetings, but each side could be drained by the time they meet for the final time this cycle.

One note to them and their strange need to always be on guard, we welcome them into HopNation and ensure them that they will be safe here and our military will aid them if needed. We do humbly request that they limit their armed presence in HopNation, but understand if they still feel the need to be fully guarded and we will not stop them from doing so as long as it posses no threat to us and our citizens.

MD 8(A) + 17(H): United Eastedge (90)
Besides this team being 90th I don’t know much about them, well maybe simply because I didn’t do much research before the print deadline, oops. They did see themselves in a similar position to us in the last cycle and were eliminated during the playoff matches and fell just short of making the World Cup Proper. Even though they had the same fate we did their playoff legs went a bit better as they had one win and one loss but fell short on aggregate, which must have been tough to take after getting to that point. If they keep anything the same this go they will likely use a mix of tactics in order to have the best outcomes they can along the way. I don’t see them breaking into the World Cup Proper this cycle, but it shouldn’t be long before they do.

MD 9 + 18: Bye Days
Ah, the coveted days of rest. It will be good to have a break right in the middle of the qualifying run it will hopefully find us refreshed and ready for the second leg. It will also hopefully find us in a good position to make an advancing run and put some pressure on those above us (Free Republics and Farfadillis). Expect us to be at top form heading into the second half.

Well that’s it from me for now. Like I said in the Eastedge section I didn’t prepare vary well and almost missed my print cut-off to get this finished up. I’ll will be covering the games so there will be more from me down the line. Good luck to those in our group and GO HOPS!

Brew On, Brew Well Hoptonians!
Ringwald Griffinsmith
HopNation Sports Writer
Collection of National Teams
BOF 54 - Group 7 Winner - Round of 16
World Cup
Qualifying Exits: 67, 68, 69*,71
4th Place (70)
Cup of Harmony
Group Stage Exits: 59
Round of 16 (60), QF (61)
*playoff game
BOI 15 - Champion
World Bowl
Group Stage Exits: XXII*, XXIII, XXV*
Rof16: XXIV,XXVI
*playoff game
World Cup of Hockey
Group Stage Exits: 23, 24, 25, & 27
Rof16: 26

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:20 am

OOC: In order to place the reader in the right context, I have written a short introductory note on the RP. Considering that SJG is under communism now and the Fall will happen before WC Finals, with the purpose to let the nation have the restart during pre-WC finals break.

Communism had lived moments of glory in recent months in this country, considering the significant military victories in places like Farfadillis where fascism was cleared from the root and having a role in Yttribia with the fall of fascism, the feeling of patriotism and national greatness is exalting increasingly. San Jose Guayabal had ceased to be the typical neutral country, was now becoming a kind of warrior for the people in neighboring or distant countries as was the case Farfadillis, although to be honest Farfadillis fell by the incompetence of his government to solve internal affairs.

The nation had established a sort of iron curtain through influence in certain nations (OOC: My puppets and colonies) peacefully, from now everything will have a sharp turn.

Government Square, San Salvador. 17:30

The Council of State Interest was meeting with the military and politicians, including representatives of the politburo and President Miguel Serrano.

The meeting had a theme aimed at expanding the sphere of influence of SJG to other nations with weak governance systems and social division which had to forcibly annex the territory as part of the nation, efforts were concentrated on SJG nations near and not so.

"Do you have any plans to expand the nation?" Asked the president, while the other characters present prepared materials, or notes to follow all instructions to the letter, the leader of the Council slowly took a glass of water and began to speak slowly and soberly. "There are plans and resources to do so, we have obstacles but I think you need to explain the advantages and disadvantages of each strategy geopolitically talking, we want to avoid problems with our operations." A prominent academic in the area of regional geopolitics timidly raised his hand, asking that his could hear him. "He is my assistant on the analysis of geopolitical issues, I believe that his analysis will be of great importance for making good decisions." Said the leader of the Council to enter into the conversation. "Let's start from the first issue, what are the objectives that have our plans for territorial annexation by force? Considering that we can not be guided only by impulse, we must have a valid reason for our action." The president said, pointing to a world map posted on the wall of the meeting hall, one of the representatives of the Politburo discussed the president's position in terms of your question. "I think the goal of expansion by force is more than obvious Mr. President, aside from the economic enrichment of the nation in terms of resources of that territory, besides have a stronger presence in the region." Words that were shared by the academic who was present. "As our comrade said, think of the economic resources that our nation could win through and invade, would solve the cost of the attack and would be a substantial increase in the economy, other than the presence of the nation would expand and benefit us to control any nation who wants to attack for different reasons."

The president did not have much choice but to accept that his question was not as well made and did not have any logic because the benefits are more than logical, even someone with little knowledge in these matters knows that there are great benefits. The military leader raised his hand to ask to speak, as he took notes and folders with information about operations on the verge of completion. "As you can see, we have operations in different places, as Paymina and Rossana, which are very important in some ways." Academic thread continued military words while pointing to a wall, where it appeared the image displayed by a projector. "With Paymina, there are many benefits which can be divided into two main groups: economic and geopolitical in the first block can take advantage of the abundant tourism resources of the archipelago and its shale reserves in a population that has been named Fort Buenaventura, which has abundant reserves of shale, other than make energy generation in shallow waters and maritime trade zone. "

After a pause where the members of the meeting analyzed the different points of view, they decided to drive to secure the annexation of the territory Paymina. Now the conversation came to the topic of annexing or not Rossana, an island territory located on the northernmost point of Esportiva characterized by its abundant energy resources and being a tourist spot. "We have enough control over territory Rossana, it is now necessary to liquidate the last remnant of fascisa ultranationalist tendency to annex the territory by force, so we can say it is a mission accomplished." He said the military leader, while the members of the meeting congratulated him on such good military maneuvers.

After much analysis, the meeting came to an end, an exotic place as Coconutstan, place abundant labor resources and food, in a large population based on Coconuts with live and biological properties like those of a human, in addition to cocoponies, a mixture of ponies with coconuts, which proved to be very agile for tough jobs.

"Invading Coconutstan would be very good for us, to be honest." He said while the military commander was holding a map of the nation. A secretary of the Council of State Interests rose to ask the commander in a forceful way In which we benefit invade an island totally different and unusual things like coconuts alive or ponies mixed with coconut, is simple and plainly ridiculous . "Some board members felt that the coconut should be slaves or something like spoils of conquest, which was rejected by the other sector at the table." I think the number one priority would be to exterminate the coconuts through genocide, considering that there is already a conflict between nations, what we can do is to partner with Gregoryisgodistan to fight against other warring groups and then secure the island for SJG. "He said while some people academic reviled his opinion." What do you think, ally with the eternal enemy of our nation, I see no sense in this proposal, is just stupid thinking and bring this to discussion. "said a representative of the foundation of the Communist Party member. The president was making a connection to a game console and put the Miktondo Yuu Me videogame "Medal of Duty", a war game in which he pretended to see what would happen if San José Guayabal and Gregoryisgodistan join in aliance for a war like Coconutstani conflict.

They showed courage little or no information that could be useful but enthusiasm to send troops to Coconutstan to annihilate the population of coconuts and annex the territory forcibly. "Sounds like a good idea, we should annihilate those coconuts and Gregoryisgodistan wrest territory from the territory for us, it will be difficult but worth a try." He said academic after seeing the demo of the game. The President switched off the game and said. "It's time to start acting, and send troops to annex the territory has spoken!" Serrano said she prepared a letter to the military detachment.

San Salvador, 11/17/2047 - 20:30 Eastern Time

From: Miguel Serrano, in quality of the Supreme Commander of The Army Forces

To: Military detachments in the South Coast.

Importance: PARAMOUNT

Through this, as Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, at full powers expressed in the Constitution of the Republic I communicate to the military detachment of the South Coast, wishing him a good day and success in their daily work.

With proper power to my position as Supreme Commander, I ask that thirty contingents 1500 soldiers each to the territory of Coconutstan, where they will be met by representatives of the Army Gregoryisgodistan move, we ask that you please do not attack these delegates as they will allies in the conflict.

The objectives to be achieved by the raid Coconutstan are:

1) Kill each coconut or cocopony that appears in sight, EXCEPT those who defect and fight on Gregoryisgodistani side or join to Guayabalense tasks..

2) To attack each opponent and drive them from the island.

3) Defend the allies (Gregoryisgodistan)

4) Place Guayabalense authorities in each city or municipality of the place.

5) Attach the territory to San José Guayabal at all costs.

With these instructions, I say goodbye and wish them the best of luck in battle.

Signed

Miguel Serrano

President of The Soviet Socialist States of San José Guayabal.
Last edited by San Jose Guayabal on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:36 am

From the Desk of Lord Almighty Gregory

To: Miguel Serrano

Dear Mr. Serrano,

Thank you for agreeing to join forces with us to destroy a country that I shall only refer to as Xylocarpstan, for its mere name causes offense to all Gregoryisgodistanis. Thank you as well for agreeing to join forces with us to destroy the sapient xylocarps, a species we find most troubling and wicked. We are prepared to join forces with you to kill all the xylocarps, an unprecedented genocide where we shall exterminate all the xylocarps in the world. We shall start with Xylocarpstan, home of the sapient ones. We are also prepared to offer each of your soldiers a 100,000 greggygodbuck reward for each xylocarp they kill. I would encourage you to send more than 45,000 soldiers, for I fear this will not be enough for you to accomplish your goals. I would encourage you to send tens of thousands of soldiers to join forces with ours and battle the xylocarps to the death.

Although you are currently on our Enemy List, and likely will be for the entire history of the multiverse, I am declaring a temporary truce in that relationship to allow our soldiers to fight together. Once we kill all the xylocarps, we will turn our attention back to destroying you, but any veterans of the War Against The Xylocarps will be exempt from the killing order and cannot be killed by Gregoryisgodistani forces. Therefore, we strongly urge you to commit as many troops as possible to destroying the xylocarps, for their safety as well as to accomplish our mutual goals.

No xylocarp shall ever walk this Earth again when we are finished with Xylocarpstan. Xylocarpstan shall be under your control, and you shall order a mass genocide of all xylocarps who still are somehow alive. We are prepared to offer military assistance once you take over Xylocarpstan to aid in this goal, including providing secret police to root out the hidden xylocarps and smash them to bits. Xylocarps are an insult to me, the One True Lord. We must root them out and destroy them. While you may not believe I am the Lord, one day you will meet me as I determine whether you go to the Land of Eternal Reward or the Land of Eternal Punishment. When I make my decision, I may excuse your status as the leader of a nation on the Enemy List if you prove your strength in helping us destroy xylocarps. But the amount of troops you have committed is not enough. I would suggest at least 500,000 troops invading Xylocarpstan alongside ours. Together, we will kill all the xylocarps.

Furthermore, I notice you want to kill xyloponies as well. This is acceptable, as long as you do not kill any of the xyloponies who have defected and are fighting alongside us rather than be loyal to the xylocarps who created them in sin. These xylocarps are undercover assets and must be allowed to live. On the other hand, if a pure xylocarp wants to defect and help us, do not give them that chance. Pure xylocarps are most untrustworthy and an insult to the Lord, who is me. If a pure xylocarp is stupid enough to wander into your base and try to defect, smash it or shoot it immediately. I must receive confirmation that you will follow these orders if you are to join us. In summary, pure xylocarps must be killed even if they claim to be on our side, but xyloponies who are on our side shall be allowed to live. They are half pony, which makes them more trustworthy.

Thank you. I look forward to working with your military commanders.

Sincerely,

Lord Almighty Gregory
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:43 am

Group Five - A Preview
By Francesca Hart

Seed One - Paradystopia (19)

You could have asked anyone who they wanted in the first seed, and you could have almost guaranteed they would've said Paradystopia. Despite a run of form that saw them knock out Eura in the 69th World Cup and a Quarter Final appearance in the 10th Campionato Esportiva, they are perhaps the weakest of the top 20 and a failure to name a side has left a question mark over their ability to perform in the competition. Can The Sarian leapfrog them into first place; only time will tell. Prediction: Home: 3-1 (MD17) Away: 2-2 (MD8)

Seed Two - The Sarian (43)

Never before has The Sarian gone into a qualifying campaign with such optimism, who can forget the Group of Death that graced our entry to the World Cup in the 67th World Cup. A new look side, comprising of the longest named central midfield partnership in the World Cup - Meeuwessen and Nittenpepper as well as a resurgent Jacobo Yap, looking to build on yet another fantastic Super League season.

Seed Three - Sameba (67)

Again, another easier draw as the lowest ranked side in Pot Three joins the lowest ranked sides in Pots One and Two. An early exit from the 19th Copa Rushmori won't fill Sameban fans with optimism and despite a third place finish in Group 23 last time round, there is little chance of the side challenging for the group title and even the playoffs look a distant dream. Prediction: Home: 2-0 (MD13) Away: 0-1 (MD4)

Seed Four - Lymantatia (74)

Not the most respected team in the world, and its not that cruel to admit that there is a reason for that, an immature playing style complements poor leadership like red wine compliments chicken (hint, it doesn't). If you thought their WorldVision entries were bad, you wait till you see their back four. Prediction: Home: 4-1 (MD3) Away: 3-1 (MD12)

Seed Five - Red Blackiland (142)

The highest ranked of our opponents to release a roster so far, the side will look to hit above their weight in a push for the playoffs, if they can pick off lower ranked opponents, steal a few points at the 52,000 seater Red Glorious National Stadium and get a few good goals from Felipinho, who knows? Prediction: Home: 3-0 (MD15) Away: 2-2 (MD6)

Seed Six - Semarland (156)

My favourites for the shocks of the group, I can definitely see Semarland pushing for a playoff place, a team consisting of Marlborough Town's Matur Eiriksson and Chippenham's goalkeeping number two Marco Valbuena will be well received at Home Covert, and the positivity could lead to the groups dark horses gaining one or even three points against the Bustards. Prediction: Home: 1-1 (MD5) Away: 1-2 (MD14)

Seed Seven - Seltik (264)

Surviving the Group of Death during the Baptism of Fire gave Seltik a nice slice of my heart, and the inner vexillologist in me wants them to succeed just to see more of that flag. We have yet to seen a lineup from the team, and I can't see them do anything big but if their performance against Devonta is anything to go by, the Bustards can't be complacent. Prediction: Home: 4-2 (MD9) Away: 3-1 (MD18)

Seed Eight - North Britonisea (357)

Widely regarded as the nation with one of the dimmest citizens, the side will be lucky to pick up even the narrowest of wins. Like Lymantatia, Sarian viewers will know them better for awful WorldVision entries and illiteracy rates over the roof. Two victories for The Sarian, with value for their money. Prediction: Home: 5-0 (MD7) Away: 4-0 (MD16)

Seed Nine - Democratic States of Fenbar (UR)

An unranked side, what can we say? No chance of a challenge for the top spots, and should provide an easy opening match for The Sarian to kickstart our campaign. Only issue for the Bustards is complacency. Prediction: Home: 3-0 (MD10) Away: 6-2 (MD1)

Prediction:

1 - The Sarian
2 - Paradystopia
3 - Semarland
4 - Red Blackiland
5 - Saemba
6 - Lymantatia
7 - Seltik
8 - Democratic States of Fenbar
9 - North Britonisea
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:45 am

(OOC: Today's RP is not a continuation of TICOWC, but instead an interview with team coach Jordan Fletcher.)

First Eleven Magazine presents...
An Interview with Tumbran Coach, Jordan Fletcher

By James McCarthy, FE journalist

JM: It's very nice to have you here with us today, Jordan. Have a seat.

JF: You're too kind. Right, I'm here for an interview, and an interview is what I shall get. Shoot away.

JM: First off... how do you think your team did in the Baptism of Fire?

JF: To be honest, meeting Isula ge Ru in the second round was our misfortune. When we found out that we were facing Isula we actually thought we'd dodged a big bullet in not getting either Estenia or Ahbanfleft. But it turned out that we were wrong. Oh well, pride always does come before a fall. Overall, I think we actually did fine, our performances in the group stage certainly suggest that we certainly could hold our own against similar ranked teams on the international stage. It just remains to be seen what happens in the qualifiers.

JM: And how do you think your team will do in the qualifiers?

JF: I certainly think we've been dealt the short end of the stick. (chuckles) The Holy Republican Empire certainly is the overbearing presence in the group, but I do expect us to learn a lot from this qualifying campaign. It would be great if we were to reach the playoff positions or even the automatic qualifying positions, but I think it's certainly a bit too far-fetched for our first time out. The TFA acknoledge this fact as well.

JM: Mmm. And speaking of the TFA, they still think you're the best man for this job?

JF: The fact that I'm still here does answer your question. But yes, even after eight years, they still think I'm the best man for this job.

JM: The fact that the Baptism of Fire squad has remained unchanged for the qualifiers has raised quite a few eyebrows. Anything to say about that?

JF: Our roster is unchanged, yes. But there are still seven reserves who I have yet to name. They will be named in a few days.

JM: Well, that's a shock. I certainly will be looking out for them. Thanks for coming round today.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Valanora
Senator

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valanora » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Valanora Times
Marauders Looking To Recharge

The national team comes into this cycle humbled and looking to lick their wounds and get back to their normal winning and commanding ways. These past two cycles have seen a dip in form for the normal juggernaut of a footballing nation, and while it has mostly remained the same during the qualifying stages, the stress and pressure of the proper have seemingly taken a heavy toll on the players these past few cycles. For her inability to foster a deep run into the Finals last cycle, the manager and her staff did not have their contracts renewed for this cycle. The change has thrust a new manager and set of tactics into an already unsteady group, who have for the most part, remained the same pool from the last few cycles. Perhaps it is one last chance for vindication for the squad or that Taurnordómthon Undovir is looking to give the players a chance to give him a first hand impression of their abilities this cycle, before moving on to his own players and evaluation in the regional cup and the next World Cup cycle.

On the whole, the Marauders can hardly complain about the group draw, it seems rather straightforward and a seemingly easy walk into the Finals. That being said, it is that sort of attitude in the past that has seen the Marauders become lackadaisical and sort of sleep walk into Finals, struggling more than they should have in those campaigns. Instead of focusing on the opponents ahead of them, they were focusing on the potential paths to the Final itself, losing the discipline and efficiency and the the beautiful moments that they have been known for the past forty cycles. That is where Undovir needs to clamp down, take a no nonsense approach to the qualifying path, and take away all the illusions that the current squad has about what their goals and methods.

The domestic league continues to be well enough to provide the quality players needed to fill out the roster, where as the stars of the team shine through regardless of the leagues they play in, though quite a few have taken to the foreign leagues. Grass root football is steady but not improving the quality of the footballer in the academies or once they find their way to a proper squad. It would be fair to say that it seems that Vanorian football has hit a bit of a standstill, has become stagnant, and while not needing a reinvention it perhaps needs to be recharged or reinvigorated. I am not sure if Undovir is the manager to do that, if he has such lofty goals and a grand view of the state of Vanorian football, though I believe he can get the national team turned around. The hope then is that their is a trickle down effect, from the players on the team down to their clubs to their coaches, and so on and so forth.

All the same, the focus now is turning to these upcoming eighteen matches, not the possible seven that could happen next summer, not the domestic league, but the upcoming eighteen matches over the next few months. The players, staff, and fans needing to get their bearings and set their course forward, lest we get left behind. And an elf is never left behind.
World Cup 40, 42, 43, 52, & 61 Champions
WC 47, 51, 94 (2nd), WC 34, 38, 39, 41, 44, 45, 53, 60, 67, 92 (3rd), WC 49, 58, 87, 90 (Semifinalist), WC 33, 35-37, 46, 48, 54, 55, 62, 63, 65, 72, 83, 85, 86, 88, 91 (Quarterfinalist)
WCoH VII, VIII, XVII, XXVIII, XXX, XXXII (1st), WCoH I, XXXI, XL (2nd), WCoH II, XXIX (3rd), WCoH XII (4th)
AOCAF 44, 46, 51, 53, 65, 68 Champions, AOCAF 39, 43, 55, 59, 64 Runners Up
Co-Hosted: too many events to count

EPL Season 20,073

I am that which I am and choose to be.

Timbermunich
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Timbermunich » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Timbermunich Lore
Wildlife

Timberhound

Timberhound
Animal
Scientific Name: Holz Jagdhund
Height: 1.3 m – 1.6 m (Adult, at shoulder)
Gestation Period: 58 d
Mass: 80 kg (Adult, Female)
100 kg (Adult, Male)
1 kg (Newborn Pup)
Lower Classifications: Aspin Timberhound,
Dingy Timberhound,
Timberdog,
Red Timberhound
Speed: 80 – 90 km/h (Running),
15 – 25 km/h (Loping pace)
Killing Success: 93% (Ambush)
53% (non-Ambush)
A formidable beast that hunts and lives in packs, the Timberhound is a fierce predator that is found throughout Timbermunich. It roams freely in the lush wilderness and makes its home in cave like structures. These structures could be downed TimberOaks, an actual cave, or even a burrow dug into the ground by the Timberhound, they range in size depending on the pack size/structure and they typically are only big enough to fit every member inside.

The Timberhound, by nature, is a carnivore but has been known to eat the occasional Timberberry or other sweet fruit in between kills or when on the move so they can be classified as an omnivore. The beast averages 80 to 100 kg (Adult female 80 kg, Adult Male 100 kg, Newborn Pup 1 kg) and stands between 1.3 m and 1.6 m at the shoulder when fully grown. They are very fast and cannot be out run by mortal men as they have a top speed of 80-90 km/h and can cover great distances at the loping pace of 15-25 km/h. They have been known and tracked to cover 300 km in a single outing.

The Timberhound varies in color but is typically a dark brown with lighter featherings of color in the face, mainly around the eyes, and on the back of the hind legs. They have been seen in a variant of mocha tan or a deep brown with a small portion of red colored fibers, but those two variations are rather rare. Pups when born are similar to adults in body proportion but have a more spotted or stripe variation of coloration from the two parents and tend to start near the reddish brown spectrum before turning the darker version. Female Timberhounds are ready to mate at 2 years and have a gestation period of 58 days and carry 2 to 4 pups with a few noted cases of up to 8, although very rare. Males start to vie for dominance at 4 years with one Alpha leading the pack. Both males and females join in on the hunt and take on parenting roles depending on their individual place in the pack with lower members looking after the pups during hunts or travel. When hunting they use a modified pack method that employs a decoy and ambush. This usually results in one animal getting in front of the prey while two to three others approach from the sides and or back of the prey animal. The ambushers attack first and are 93% successful in initial kill rates as they leap from hidden cover directly onto the prey’s neck. They latching on with their powerful jaws and either broke the prey’s neck or sever an artery resulting in a quick death. If the ambush is missed the Timberhound only has a 53% kill rate, so it is vital that they work together when hunting and that the ambush attacker lands its bite.

There has been little interaction between Timberhounds and humans so little is known of their interaction level. There’ve been reports of attacks on humans but they are very rare with one documented incident with a Great (Great Felling Axe), otherwise due to their elusive nature not much more is known about the Timberhound.

Group 3

Group 3

Team (Rank) Place Pts W-D-L
Robsonien (UR)
Valanora (13)
The Fallenmark Islands (191)
Star United States (81)
Timbermunich (127)
Carialus (60)
Kingston-Atlantis (319)
Bears Armed (41)
Joshulia (281)
MD - Opponent (H/A)		- Result
1 Carialus (H) -
2 Kingston-Atlantis (A) -
3 Bears Armed (H) -
4 Joshulia (A) -
5 Robsonien (H) -
6 Valanora (A) -
7 The Fallenmark Islands (H) -
8 Star United States (A) -
9 Bye
10 Carialus (H) -
11 Kingston-Atlantis (A) -
12 Bears Armed (H) -
13 Joshulia (A) -
14 Robsonien (H) -
15 Valanora (A) -
16 The Fallenmark Islands (H) -
17 Star United States (A) -
18 Bye
Hosting: TWT
puppet of HopNation
don't look at me, I have no idea what's going on

Bostopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Bostopia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:56 pm

---F.A.(B.) Headquarters, Heartwick House, Fort Boston---

"Here we are again" exclaimed the well-dressed middle-aged man, walking into a neat, yet slightly warm boardroom at around two-thirty in the afternoon. A bank of windows on the other side of the boardroom made visible the small office blocks on the outskirts of Fort Boston's city centre, with the Castle and park beyond it visible past the roofs of smaller buildings in the foreground. The room itself had a large, mostly circular table, though with one part of the table squared off and slightly back from the other seats, denoting where the Chairman's sat, from which he could see everyone else who was sat there.

The other attendees filed in quickly, talking to each other while carrying in their laptops and various drinks. Some went for coffee, others less traditional energy drinks and some more for just plain water, from the dispenser. Seats were taken, laptops plugged in and – where necessary – connected to the appropriate WiFi network.

"Right then" announced the chairman, the well-dressed middle-aged man, clearly ready to get on with procedures. "Shall we begin by taking a look at the agenda, which I believe we agreed upon earlier?" There was a general hum of agreement from the attendees, who were delegates from the state Football Associations, as well as some more senior members of the F.A.(B.).

"First off – agreement of the last minutes... secondly, Starblaydia's press referring to us as "top-ten" when we were ranked 2nd at one point – surely, top three or top two would have been better? Really. Nations these days... Where was I? Ah, yes. Thirdly, re-allocation of the newly-extended budget, fourthly, we'll turn the fan on because it always tends to get stuffy, then fifthly, we'll discuss who to send to World Cup Qualifyers and associated things such as the pitch..."

Wait... they're turning the fan on before deciding who to send?

Some time passed, the minutes of the last meeting were discussed and agreed upon and Starblaydia's press was largely critisised, before the budget was allocated to finally being able to send a team to this round of World Cup qualifying matches. It was lucky the team wouldn't have much chance of Qualifying for the tournament itself, as there'd be absolutely no money to send them. The Cup of Harmony, on the other hand, was a problem for another day.

"It's a good job we finally paid that settlement off. It's been an absolute age since we've had any money!" Evelyn Bootson was clearly excited at the chance of spending something again that wasn't on new furniture, or other shiny things that surrounded World Cup Qualifiers, like badges and commemorative cardboard boxes (with tin-foil-lined sides) for visiting dignitaries.

"Let's go through what happened again" said the Chairman, "just to remind ourselves of the mess we got into, shall we? The team bus – thankfully empty at the time – came off the road, smashing into Hall's Dairy and Pick Your Own Farm. The Farmer Hall Company (part of the of Happy Icelolly Group) estimated the damage at £532M. They worked this out by stress-testing the dairy herd and finding they would produce sour milk for decades, due to the bus initially crashing through the fence into their field. The cows have suffered from PTSD ever since and refuse to go out of the cattle shed without the area first being checked by the farm's bull. They then found that that years' Pick Your Own crop had been ruined by shreds of exploded tyres being found both throughout the visitor car park and visitors parked cars, which they tell us is bad for business. The bus then tipped over in the pumpkin fields (after hitting that year's prize pumpkin), then slid through the raspberry, blackberry, rhubarb and gooseberry crop, before finally coming to rest in the strawberry crop. This wouldn't have been so bad had the team bus not been carrying inexplicable amounts of salt at the time, bags of which flew out of the bus upon it tipping over. The bags of salt unfortunately continued bouncing through the fields behind the bus, which had - in effect – plowed the field, thus sowing the fields used for Pick Your Own crop with salt." The Chairman put his paperwork down and looked around the room. "Comments?"

"Well, Mr. Chairman" began one brave soul. "Could they not have dug the salt out?"

"Dig the salt out..? Would you like digging out?" The Chairman responded, a little bruskly.

The attendees shifted about uncomfortably in the awkward silence that followed.

"Right. Shall we turn the fan on? It's a little bit stuffy."

"No!" came a muted voice, from what sounded like the ceiling. The Chairman put it down to a meeting going on outside, or even someone doing their job a bit too well and getting into the football match they were supposed to be scouting.

"Anyone? No? Fine – Peters, would you mind?" "Certainly not."

Peters walked over toward the switch for the fan – the fan itself would have been noticably perspiring, had anyone actually noticed it. The fan motor groaned into life but eventually began to slowly turn, drafting down some cool air onto the room.

"Right, then. Onto the tricky question" Chairman began, "who exactly do we send to the qualifiers? We've got a 'team' entered, but no team to actually fill the blessed roster!"

"I've got a team" yelled the ceiling fan, it's voice bouncing off each corner of the room.

"Who said that?"

"Me! Up here! The fan!"

There was a sudden gasp in the room as they realised what exactly was going on.

"Emperor?" The Chairman enquired, startled, disturbed and somehow not surprised at the same time. "What the blazes are you doing up there?"

"I'm in disguise as a ceiling fan. I'm very dizzy and possibly dehydrated. I've been up here for hours without a single cup of tea or anything."

The Chairman sighed. "Fetch the ladders and some scissors..."

After a short time, the Emperor was finally (finally) brought back down to the floor rather unceremoniously. He stood himself up, took some weak steps toward an empty seat and sat down, asking the room to stop spinning around him in the process.

"Emperor, why, why in the sake of the country are you here?"

"I heard you'd be discussing which team to send to the World Cup. I suggest my own. We're not the best-" "Not the best by a long way!" "-...but we'll go for any money you can give. Plus, I'm the Emperor. You have to let me, really."

"Fine, Emperor" sighed the Chairman. "But we've only got the money for economy travel now. Plus, you'll have to play on your own pitch! Put the nets up yourself, sort out the laughable changing rooms, put the corner flags in, direct the opposition team to the pi- on second thoughts, we'll direct the opposition. Just turn up for the game and sort the pitch out, will you Emperor?"

Emperor Boston broke out into a huge grin and left the room. The rest of the attendees stared up at the ruined ceiling fan, now mostly hanging off the ceiling and more just a floating fan, before looking around. The Emperor had been, once again, let loose on the world.

Bostopia's Fixtures Announced

Emperor Boston's team to represent nation

Bostopia's fixtures have to-day been announced for the upcoming World Cup 70 qualification stage. Thanks to a deal with a very grateful Football Association, Emperor Boston generously offered to send his amateur team around the globe, along with hosting the games at his regular pitch. As there's no seating or crowd control of really any sort - the Emperor himself saying it'd be a good day if a dog hung around to watch a match for five minutes – the administration costs to the F.A. are incredibly low.

For any readers unfamiliar with Emperor Boston's Morwith Road ground, it is nothing more than two football pitches and a rugball pitch, with a changing room and bar area in one building (though obviously these areas are separated by a wall and a door), along with car parking facilities. The pitch is a good 170 yards away from the changing rooms. There is no "stadium" to speak of, which foreign teams, or those not inclined to watch the local game may be more used to and slightly surprised by.

As for shelter, Morwith Road does have some decent tree cover behind Pitch 1's right-hand goalposts (as seen from the bar/changing room), with some, though much less, tree cover behind the opposite goalposts. There is also some tree cover almost beside the far sideline, with only around three yards separating the sideline paint from a stream on the other side of the trees. Although, this line of trees and hedgerow is nowhere near as thick as that behind the right-hand goalposts, so provides little shelter from the rain, yet is claimed by the Emperor's team every match. The other team is expected to take up position on the other side of the pitch, along with their change of clothes in sports bags, usually, and "vallies bag", where valuable items are stored and closely guarded. The "vallies bag" in most cases is a sock, though we'd expect some of the international teams who will visit to have something better than a sock to store their belongings in. Crime isn't a problem here, though, especially as we're sure any attempts at theft will not be met kindly by the Emperor's protection team.

Morwith Road itself is is a narrow country lane, around two miles inside the north-east boundary of Fort Boston, yet well enough into the countryside for the noise of the city to be largely unheard. The Road itself is cut off at it's far end by an arterial road, so only passing traffic on that arterial route creates any sort of modern-day noise pollution in an otherwise pleasant environment.

MD01: The Calanian Union - Bostopia
MD02: Bostopia -v- Etelkoz - [i]Pitch 1, Morwith Road, Fort Boston (n/a)[/i]
MD03: Aestate -v- Bostopia
MD04: Bostopia -v- Britonisea - Pitch 1, Morwith Road, Fort Boston (n/a)
MD05: Crystal Empire -v- Bostopia
MD06: BYE
MD07: Bostopia -v- Unified Sunrise Islands - Pitch 1, Morwith Road, Fort Boston (n/a)
MD08: Jeru FC -v- Bostopia
MD09: Bostopia -v- Dawnhaven - Pitch 1, Morwith Road, Fort Boston (n/a)
MD10: Bostopia -v- The Calanian Union - Pitch 1, Morwith Road, Fort Boston (n/a)
MD11: Etelkoz -v- Bostopia
MD12: Bostopia -v- Aestate - Pitch 1, Morwith Road, Fort Boston (n/a)
MD13: Britonisea -v- Bostopia
MD14: Bostopia -v- Crystal Empire - Pitch 1, Morwith Road, Fort Boston (n/a)
MD15: BYE
MD16: Unified Sunrise Islands -v- Bostopia
MD17: Bostopia -v- Jeru FC - Pitch 1, Morwith Road, Fort Boston (n/a)
MD18: Dawnhaven -v- Bostopia
Last edited by Bostopia on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a Mertagnian in Bostopia? If so, hand yourself in at the nearest Police Station now and you will be treated with the utmost care and attention.

NSGP: World Drivers Champion x 1 - NSGP 5 - F1 Constructors Champion x 1 NSGP 5
Cup of Harmony 26, 40: Champions
World Cup - Qualified x 20, SFs x 2.

Pays den haut
Envoy

Founded: Jun 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pays den haut » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Opinion letters

Voting for clan leaders?

Dear readers,
We are the best nation in the world there is no doubt about that, but I think there is something wrong with our nation. Actually to become a clan leader or a ruling clan leader we have to kill the clan leader or ruling clan leader in function and take his spot. I think it's wrong, it doesn't work like that in other countries. I've made some research on Miley World, who helped us building and setting up our brand new airport. I've also made some research on Nephara, Royal Kingdom of Québec, Yttribia, Saint James Island and Estenia who are in our group for the world cup. Actually they don't pick their leaders the same way we do. They have a "democracy". I know everyone reading this are raising their eyebrows wondering what that word mean. A democracy means the leaders are "elected". Elected means there is a vote to pick the leader among a certain number of candidates. Using this way, anyone who wish to become a nation leader can have a chance without having to kill the leader in function and without fearing of being killed once he becomes a leader. I think Pays d'en Haut would improve if we do the same. Personally I've always wished to be a clan leader, but I don't have enough will to kill my uncle who is the actual leader of my clan. If each clans would runs elections to elect the clan leader and then we would run a nationwide election to choose the ruling clan leaders among the clan leaders who were previously elected by their own clan members I think our country would be improving and more stable. What do you guys think, it is feasible in les Pays d'en haut?

Marc-Olivier, clan Pelletier

The Habitants sucks

I think our national soccer team sucks. We played in the baptism of fire and we just had one win in 4 games. Now in the qualifications of the world cup, we have to play against much better nations. We’re going to suck against Nephara, Royal Kingdom of Québec and Yttribia. Our team suck, our coach suck, I think Gaston, clan Dupuis suck, we’d be better with René, clan Boivin as a headcoach but he wasn’t even picked as an assistant coach! We’re going to finish dead last behind that unranked team and that’s the fault of our coach. And our 4-5-1 system sucks, we would be better with a 4-3-3 system. Who’s goign to score goals for us besides Vincent, clan Turcotte? No one because they all suck. Thank you for reading.

Robert, clan Charette

Evil machines in the sky

Hello,
As everyone know, we just build what is called an « airport » this is a place for evil machines to land on our soil and invade us. THIS NEED TO BE STOPPED. We don’t want and we don’t need evil machines in les Pays d’en Haut. We’re fine with our sailing boats if we wanna travel to another country. And we don’t need aliens who don’t even speak French on our soil. They need to speak French or go away and that goes for every soccer player who comes in les Pays d’en Haut.

Bruno, clan Poulin

Aestate
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aestate » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:50 pm

SOCCER

Interview

Agostina Bertolli in Fenice
Corriere Dello Sport, Monday 17 November

Retired soccer player, currently journalist, and respected specialist in physical education, Camilo Pistoia did fight for decades for national soccer until last year, when he declared the stabilization of this sport among the aestateans traditions. Maybe for that, he told to a local journal about his disappointment with our squad.

Pistoia, do you believe in chance of them cross that qualifying and go to our first World Cup?

No. Our squad is inexperienced, problematic, and we have an amateur vision of this sport. Who do a training in an isolated rock, surrounding by the sea, without any technology in return for monks' and nuns’ prayers? We do. Not mentioning the Ziccardi’s courage. When their horrible performance, in the latest competition, destroyed all classification chances to the second stage, giving to them the passage to home, Ziccardi blamed Alekseiev. Exemplary, not?

But he apologized with him, didn’t?

Two weeks later. The consequences were there. The squad lost the confidence in him, and now his criticism have a negative aspect.

How can it be qualifying?

Luck? This group is normally a tragedy, but we still see its great moments. These situations exist. Maybe in a situation with luck for them, and out of luck for our adversary, we may win. Would Trício fans really practice voodoo? If this history is true, that competition is perfect for getting one’s hands dirty.

Today, we had the second friendly game, this time against USC Fenice. What’s your opinion about this match?

Again Ziccardi reserved the second half to using the bench, a normal strategy to friendly game, mainly for this match not has any importance besides training. But in the first half, the things are more serious, because it’s a test to stating players. And one more time, we had problems to win against a local short-hand club. The team always has six players in midfield, and the control in this area isn’t going for them. How can it be possible? I don’t know, and apparently Ziccardi doesn’t know too. Summarizing, the terraces of Capital Arena were more interesting.

Our first adversary is Britonisea. What can you talk about them?

Not much. They’re a strange people. But in general, we couldn’t be prepared in the field for them, but in the streets we are. The government was smart in this case. They only chose the preparing cities to promote the tourism. Fenice, Carpanela and Portus Cale will welcome our visiting. And annual events will be prolonged, or it will have a second edition. For example, the Chocolate Festival of Fenice will have a one week more. The expectative is the success of our special summer chocolate, with its consistence unique, besides the local recipes.

The chili chocolate?

And others. Maybe Jeru FC can like, and Bostopia too, after all, we have carrot chocolate. For the Portus Cale and Carpanela the Beach Festival and the Event Tech are waiting too. It’s a great opportunity. Maybe the visitants could take advantage of this travel, forget their responsibilities, and still return in future, but the advantages out of the field.

Schedule

Match Day 1 - Aestate v Britonisea (@ National Arena, Carpanela, Aestate)
Match Day 2 - Crystal Empire v Aestate
Match Day 3 - Aestate v Bostopia (@ Blue Stadium, Portus Cale, Aestate)
Match Day 4 - Unified Sunrise Islands v Aestate
Match Day 5 - Aestate v Jeru FC (@ Capital Arena, Fenice, Aestate)
Match Day 6 - Dawnhaven v Aestate
Match Day 7 - Aestate v The Calanian Union (@ National Arena, Carpanela, Aestate)
Match Day 8 - Etelkoz v Aestate
Match Day 9 -
Match Day 10 - Britonisea v Aestate
Match Day 11 - Aestate v Crystal Empire (@ Blue Stadium, Portus Cale, Aestate)
Match Day 12 - Bostopia v Aestate
Match Day 13 - Aestate v Unified Sunrise Islands (@ Capital Arena, Fenice, Aestate)
Match Day 14 - Jeru FC v Aestate
Match Day 15 - Aestate v Dawnhaven (@ National Arena, Carpanela, Aestate)
Match Day 16 - The Calanian Union v Aestate
Match Day 17 - Aestate v Etelkoz (@ Blue Stadium, Portus Cale, Aestate)
Match Day 18 -

Travel Guide

City: Carpanela
Province: Catania
Province Localization: Southwest of Aestate
Stadium: National Arena
Currency: Purchasing power: 1 A$ = 1.7541 NS$ / Reverse: 1 NS$ = 0.57 A$
Inflation: 0.85%
Summary: This metropolis of Catania is the biggest city of Aestate in population and economy, with an important sector of Technology industry, Healthcare, Medical and Hospital Equipment/Supplies industries. Because that, Carpanela has many options for entertainment. Shows, modern museums, areas of great bars and restaurants, alternative events with games and techno demonstrations are standing there. And the best characteristic: Why isn’t a touristic city, but has choices, Carpanela gives acceptable prices. Other attraction is the National House of Opera.
Transport: Domestic and international flights are the option of getting on. The local airport is enormous and reliable. And the city is distant of a seaport, but it’s a possibility too. In Aestate, the railroad exists, but it’s usually to goods transport. Because this, cars are the main choice with favorable prices for rental. Buses are there as well, but I don’t recommend their public transport.
Communication: Italian is the official language of Aestate, but English, Spanish and Portuguese are the predominant languages in all people of Carpanela too. Others still have a fifth language. French, Germany and Japanese aren’t unusual.
Warning: The Aestateans are a very armed population, and the majority of them had a basic military training and education. Jokes in the house of strangers are not recommended.
Last edited by Aestate on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Atrua
Secretary

Founded: Jul 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atrua » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:36 am

The Most Holy Times

At last our fair nation of Atrua sets forth to spread Christian brotherhood through friendly competition in the upcoming World Cup 70. While individual members of our faith had actually taken part in past events before the heathen uprising in what is now an economically crippled Tynelia, this will be the first time a purely Orthodox squad shall take the pitch.

Naturally our team is steeped in the defensive style to try and drive away the taint of ‘Scoreology’ and stop it’s spread though the world. However the sudden and shocking early elimination from the horribly named Baptism of Fire after winning our first two matches before losing the final two to Scoreologistic sympathizers shows that there is much work to be done.

Our team has the misfortune of coming out of the gate with the top seeds Vilita here at the Stada of St. David. No doubt such a start is a sign by the Lord to test our spirits as he once did to Job but having us face our toughest foe right off the bat to see if the team will become demoralized. I have faith this will not be the case. Though Vilita will most likely triumph from our group we shall not be discouraged by our results. In addition they are the only team in the group that was around from the pre- exile days in Tynelia when they were in the cup. Also some find the fact of being in group 13 to be an ominious one.

As for the rest of the group we are unfamiliar with most of them. The only familiar name is HAUAHUHAU whom we bested 2-0 in the accursed Baptism of Fire and now face again here. While qualification is most likely out of reach a modest goal would be to break into double digit points with at least one win each from the HAUAHUHAU and unranked Valientus and a few draws with cata Larga our best chance to steal points from a higher ranked squad. Some more confident projections look to the second to last match day against Patistan as a possible sleeper match to steal a win but others find such thoughts to be vainglorious. Most here feel Mizuyuki will be the second team to come out of the group.

But we shall all find out for sure soon enough.

May the Lord bless you and yours this and every day.

Dracum
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracum » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:07 am

Horror Group for Dracum ?
from Christina Orsini for DSNN

Dracos, 18.11.
'That's a scandal, that's the payback for our opening towards to world clearly the world doesn't wants us if they give us such a group !'
This was the most aggressive answer to the drawing for the 70th world cup, the first one with Dracums participation and what a group it is. Not alone the first match against Osarius but also scheduled matchs against Super-Llamaland, HorusLand and Cosumar will make this a heavy group. However I can agree with our esteemed opposition leader. If you want my opinion every group would be extrem heavy and we can proud to be finally at the World Sport Map after years of blockade trough the front of nationalists and isolationists.
For the first time we will participate in a international tournament and while the team will certainly not reach the next stage you can be sure that all of them will play with the same fire all Dracumian posses.
The Schedule for the next matchs:
Day 1 Osarius vs. Dracum - as the second placed on the world ranking there is no talking about chances, even a draw would cause a uproar.
Day 2 Dracum vs. Super Llamaland - again a hard match and the first real international match in the City of Dracos.
Day 3 Cosumar vs. Dracum - Played in the Leviathan Arena the bets for the 'blue dragons' are clear. 8th World Cups qualifiers in a row (Edition 54-62) are a statement not to be overseen
Day 5 Dracum vs. Ancharmunn - if you are still rooting for Dracum then this will be your reward, place 153 and it's a home game. While there is still a favorite, experts expect less than 12 goals this time.
Day 6 Peruvian Highlands vs. Dracum - Well there's not much to expect from this team, place 272 on the ranking so get your tickets for this game as well, we will need your support here folks as this could be our first win in the Qualification Stage and the Nine knows there will be not much chances for other wins.
Day 7 Dracum vs. Horusland - well the party is over, place 79 on the ranking but hey it's a home game.
Day 8 Zips Nation vs. Dracum - we are finally done with the first half, place 350 so no fancy names this time, no professionals but don't underestimate them by now. There were quite a few surprises within the last WCs
Day 9 Dracum - The Greater Vakolicci Haven last game in the first halftime and this team could be manageable. Sharp out of the top 100 and it's a home game, strange things occure on home games. Just look at the last qualifiers.

Naturally all games will be broadcast on TV, Radio, Blogs and Livestream trough DSNN, including 2 hours preliminary report and discussions trough the whole night.
At the end I want to quote the Sagas 'yes there will be setbacks, there will be defeats but in the end that's not important. The important thing is the fight this will be thing that will be remembered.'
In this spirit, root for Dracum and we may see a few surprises.
Christina Orsini for the Dracum Sport News Network
Councillor of the Alliance of Nobles

Super-Llamaland
Senator

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Super-Llamaland » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:34 pm

GROUP 15 PREVIEW

Because good introductions are for the n00biest of n00bs! Let's jump right in, guys!

After a stunningly good WC69 campaign, picking up twenty-seven in a tough group for third place, HorusLand is out to prove that they aren't a fluke. Rinne Salovaara and his attacking crew could play many a spoiler with their aggressive 4 - 2 - 4 formation reminiscient of the Darvalian team we defeated narrowly at the Third Runner Cup. They're dangerous, but we don't see them sticking around enough on defense to qualify. Still, expect big things on this youngish team's path to an eventual world-cup finish, although that high-octane offense is certainly risky. VERDICT: FOURTH OR SIXTH

Zips Nation managed a draw in the Baptism of Fire! Hurray! Sadly, they didn't manage much else in three losses, and we suspect that their governing body, who was too lazy to release a roster, plays a part in stifling their players' natural talents. I have never heard of them before, and suspect I'll never hear of them again. VERDICT: NINTH

Like HorusLand, the Vakolics are another potential spoiler. The Empire of the Complicated Boat Flag (that version you're seeing is extremely simplified, and, of course, lacks a boat) debuted in WC68 and steadily improved in their single campaign since then. Things could go either way for the team, but they're sure to be entertaining. VERDICT: SIXTH OR FOURTH

These guys again!?!?!?!

The Osarian Firebirds are so dangerous that I don't even need to explain to you how dangerous they are beyond two facts: 1.) They're ranked second, and 2.) They won third at the last cup. Of course, the fact that we took a few points from them two cycles ago to win the group changes things, but they have a completely different, younger squad (admittedly one that The Hakifao Isles beat) and are sure to do well again. VERDICT: FIRST

Bogdan Antonlescu's Tigers are occasionally as dangerous as ever. Unfortunately, they've no consistency. After nearly winning the Runner Cup 3 after an awful cycle, they continued their maddening inconsistency that knocked them out of WC69, advancing to the finals of the Opener Trophy against San José Guayabal at the same time as winning four of nine games on a friendly tour against worse teams, losing to household names such as Albundania and Patistan. We'll either stun everyone and take the group, or topple helplessly into third place. With a team like Super-Llamaland, at this point it's hard to tell. Only their play will determine things. VERDICT: SECOND

Cosumar is one of the most experienced teams in the group, having participated in twenty straight qualification campaigns. But they've suffered a steep decline lately, and Farris Crowley's team this cycle is hardly young. While the core of their Renaissance Generation (our name, not their name) is dangerous, they're also old. Long story short: they're our biggest threat to a playoff slot, but we think we can beat them out. Of course, that's without the luck element.

VERDICT: THIRD

Dracum is a team never before heard of, but from a few Draconian (pleaseletthisbetheirdenonym) video tapes we've discovered that their players are actually quite good. Better than Zips Nation, anyway. The other thing we've collected from their media is that we'll be their first international visitor and they do not look forward to it. How quaint! Of course, while this team has potential, we don't anticipate them being quite ready to qualify yet. Drop back in a few cycles and we'll see how they do!

VERDICT: SEVENTH

Ancharmunn, formerly a team of remarkable prestige, took a break from the Cup for a few cycles, returning with their horrifyingly clad chaps last cycle. While we hope that they will debut a different team, we aren't quite sure, although their previous footballers weren't very good. Should they choose to mix it up, we suspect that they will be decent enough, albeit with no international experience, but we can only hope. VERDICT: SIXTH

Remember when Peruvian Highlands seemed like one of the potential spoilers in the Baptism of Fire? Well, that died quickly after a 2-1-1 record in the group stage (seven points in four games) wasn't quite good enough. Now, I'm not sure, although they could surprise - they probably won't however. VERDICT: EIGHTH

Formation to Play Cosumar Tomorrow

Bogdan has brought out a younger, athletic, attacking (Llamanean Offensive formation) lineup in hopes of running circles around the Dragons. Will it work?

GK- Jared Finch
LB- Sebastian Myers
CB- Ryan Reagan
RB- Derrick Nelson (C)
LM- Kyle Sturgeon
CM- Alexis Estrelline (first cap)
RM- Anthony Player
LW- Eden Powell
RW- Sebastian Inriquez
ST- Kristopher Nilssen
ST- Alex Cartwright
Last edited by Super-Llamaland on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Eighth Llamanean Republic
Capital: New Llama City, Population: ~56,000,000
5x World Baseball Classic champion (28, 30, 31, 40, 42)
Yue Zhou • Savigliane

Jecatria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jecatria » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Jack Holmes sat at his office desk. The Supreme Leader of Jecatria had recently arrived at the Offices of Power, and was sipping a cup of strong coffee before he got down to the tasks of the day. Despite the fact he was an oppressive dictator, he still had to do chores. Of course, he could force someone to do it by threatening to have them shot if they didn't. Maybe another day, sighed Holmes, logging on to his state-of-the-art computer and clicking on email.

Nothing new, apart from a few messages in his spam folder. Yes, being the head of state of a country apparently doesn't stop spam. After arranging for accidents to happen to those who sent the messages, Holmes was just settling into his work when a phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Good morning your Honour."

"Who is this speaking?"

"Madison, sir."

"Ah yes, what is it you want to say?"

"Sir, there are protesters outside."

She had expected Holmes to get angry. It happened often. But instead, his reply sounded almost bored.

"What do they want?"

"Democracy, sir. They have many signs and a megaphone, but their main message seems to be Down with Dictatorship."

"How many are there?"

"About 50 sir."

"Madison, call the guards and tell them to shoot every one."

"Even if they run?"

"Especially if they run." said Holmes and slammed the phone back onto the receiver.

Holmes sighed. This protest wouldn't mean much. 50 dead, maybe the odd survivor. The news was his plaything, so any opposition he faced for his acts would be small enough to be dealt with. It was an inconvenience though, having to deal with the people. Because a clever dictator can take a lot of things from his people, but he can never take their free will.

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:07 am

Part One: Thursdays

Belief is a funny thing.

Not funny in the sense of "A Starblaydi, a Krytenian and a Bostopian walk into a bar", but funny in the way that a picture that you're not sure if it's hung upside down or not is funny, or a taste in your tap water that makes it not really taste like what you think water should taste like. Not everybody can taste that unidentifiable flavour on the tip of your tongue, or realise that the painting is, in fact, the wrong way up, but it's that way nonetheless. Some people even prefer the painting that way around, maybe they even actively like that distinctive taste in their H2O and think that everyone else should have that in their own water, too.

The act of belief is what gives people the thought that scoring goals in football matches is a bad thing, whether you're worshiping at the church of Karela and some new-found anti-Scoreology sect within it, accepting that your ordinarily-named leader has the literal powers of a God (rather than just those of a dictator particularly high on the egomaniac scale) or thinking that your Emperor can transmute into a ceiling fan. There are as many different beliefs, sects, cults, creeds, faiths and religions as there are types of people in the world. No matter which four letters they combine for their personality, and whether you have to 'deal with it' or not, there's a religion for them. Even if that religion is 'no religion', of course, there are still plenty of flavours to choose from.

In Starblaydia, for instance, there are several Prêt à Worship religions out in the open and ready to take you within their usually loving arms. You can pick the mild, mannered flavours of Christianity - Catholic , Protestant or even Galvanised Wesleyan - or take up al Meryk Islam, Archregimancy-inspired Starblaydi Orthodoxy or even the ancient Starblaydi religion of the Fam'dai and silly made-up ones like The Way. If none of those take your fancy you can plump for the worshiping the goddess Elune, the Inikresaism favoured in Nova Malta or even make one up yourself about whatever you feel like, whether it's space monkeys to take the money from the rich, or spirits that make you sad unless you give them all your money.

There is another option, though, one that has a little more traction in Starblaydia than anywhere else, perhaps unsurprisingly. This religion touts its figurehead as a god, which they say is a proven fact, and provides a dead prophet who was a priest of another religion before finally 'seeing the light' and declaring the true path, and the thoughts of a writer into the past and the future all at once. It gives you simple rules to follow, five paths down which to pray, no need for outlandish meeting places and customs, plus it even provides a martial and athletic code for those who require it. There's no hatred and no smiting of anything other than the darkness brought about by lack of understanding, tolerance and freedom.

Do you take the path of The Athlete? The fierce and fair competitor striving for victory in which none are harmed. The seeker of honour and glory, the peacemaker and single driving force behind the path of self-improvement. What about The Father, a leader of people, young and old, leading other peoples, all manner of nightmarish and beautiful things. A parent, a figurehead and a talisman, all that there is about the male role model: strong, intelligent, decisive, fair-minded the myriad peoples of creation. Don't forget The Warrior, who is an implacable, indefatigable and invincible warrior. Like the athlete, he strives for glory and victory, even honour, but his aspect is through bloodshed, in defence of ideals, a volunteer who stands to face the darkest moments of life, amongst brothers, against the enemies of mankind. The Scholar is the fourth golden pillar, in opposition to Warrior and Athlete with his books, studies and knowledge, yet quicker in wit than athlete in foot. The Scholar too strives for betterment: of information and wisdom, putting mind to task and ending in an answer - the answer. The fifth of five is something a little darker and less outwardly positive. Always in the background, at the edge of hearing or the periphery of vision, always unseen yet always felt. The ghost, the pale hand of death. A dark, maligning, envious influence of perfection, mirrored in the soul of every man, woman and child. The Shadow. Not something we want to see, but it is always there.

From cradle to grave this religion supports you, pushes you onward in mind and body to strive and thrive and never fear to fall, a bearer of a pure soul journeying towards the immortality that awaits upon death when you take the hand of God and the timeless universe is revealed to you. All this can be yours: a community, a reason, a goal and a path. All if you accept the light of a former international footballer and ex-President of the World Cup Committee. All this, if you believe in the words of the late prophet Father Juan the Fifth Takilan, or the writings of Lucas Cable and the contents of the minds of a thousand other heroes from ages past to the far flung future. If you train your mind and body to excel like the world-beating Starblaydia of old, setting goals and ambitions to realise them for the benefit of those around you. It is, to amalgamate the other religions it now tries to compete with, a Fam'dai Abrahimic Orthodoxy of New Age beliefs and secular practices. It offers you immortality, but only if you believe in the Lord. In Him.

Belief is a funny thing.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Buyan
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Buyan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:06 am

@ Paymina, check the RP for my line-up.
@ At our hosts, please note that this is the second part of an RP for MD1. Thanks! Chapter 1

There must have been a day when the walls of this hall had been pearl white. And that was probably the era when the elevators still worked without a perilous screech. But now the colour had a stained shade of grey and refusal to take the stairs was admitting that you didn’t value your life any higher than a loaf of bread. After six flights, Henrik walked into an even older wing of the building, where a continuous moist smell hung around the area.

Four, five, six, seven, eight. At the eight door, Henrik entered but not after giving a soft knock – more out of habit than anything else.

“Hi.”

Quickly, he picked up a cup to water the plants and whilst doing so, he reminisced a bit about the weather.

“Still cold, goddamned, but I’m already glad that it stopped snowing. It should allow the boiler to restart, they say, but I haven’t seen much of it yet.”

When done, he placed the cup where it belonged and grabbed a nearby seat.

“What’re you watching? Nature documentary? And that whilst they’re giving the preview? They don’t know you well, don’t they?”

With a quick movement of the wrist, Henrik turned the channel from mating ants to nagging commentators.

“… and as such I think that anything less than three points would be a humiliation, am I mistaken here, Dejan?”

In the far past, Dejan Heibye had been the manager of Tjelberg Forening, but these days he made a living as pundit and analyst through several media – his column in the Valneda Times was almost as notorious as the one written by Johan Gredholm in the Mullsphaller Post. He calmly stroked his stylish goatee for a second, before making his point.

“They’re not in the top three-hundred and you ask if they can be a threat? If any Hedgehog thinks like that, he should be ashamed.”

The smile of Simon Huvl, whose face was Pavlov-wise connected to football shows for most of the spectators, became even broader and evolved into a bellowing laughter when he proclaimed,

“Well, that ends our show already, we’ll have to fill it up with commercials, haha.”

Heibye laughed along enthusiastically, as did Edvald Mattison who visibly still had to adjust to his transformation from footballer to talk show guest. Only the fourth man at the table – for aesthetic reasons shaped like a semi-ball, causing the notes from the host to slide down time and time again (the table, not the man) –refused to give more than a sour grin.

“I think it’s this kind of overestimation that cost us a spot in the World Cup last time around.”

The jolly atmosphere at once collapsed as the statement from Helmut Kullersdorf reverberated through the room. He was a senior, puffy man with dark eyes that somehow found their way through a pair of shades – not the kind hip youngsters wear, but veterans who suffered from an eye injury since the war. Those who trained with him all worshipped his skill and his hard hand had turned Blau-Weiss Pallstadt from a band of hillbillies from a remote town to an international squad with a ticket for the Champions’ Cup qualifiers.

“I think that’s exactly what commentators in the Royal Barangay and in Patistan said seconds before their lads went into the arena. ‘Money in the bag’, ‘easy peasy’. If thoughts like that get outspoken here, they’ll get in the heads of the players. The only moment your men should be allowed to think they’re invincible is when they hardly stand a chance. But right now… That smells like hubris.”

Kullersdorf said the last word as if it were an itchy rash between the loins. Huvl coughed once, making a mental note that they shouldn’t invite that grumpy coach for a game anymore unless no one else could make it, or if the chances were slim. He not only looked like a homeless man with his tracksuit next to our costumes, he spoiled a perfect round of little-nation-punch-bag.

“Helmut indeed makes a fair point, Paymina has one or two nice scalps dangling at their belt despite only having played internationally so few times,” Huvl left the Blau-Weiss manager in his dignity.
“Oh com’on,” decried the unaffiliated Heibye, “this is like the tiger fearing the gazelle! These games, you should simply slaughter the opponent.”
“That’s just respectless, …” Kullersdorf started the discussion, but Huvl saw what this could lead to. He liked a good discussion, but not yet. ‘But invite in combo with Heibye’ he added to the mental note.

“Let us first,” Huvl tried to get back in the action, “take a look at the line-up for tomorrow. Little to no surprises, I dare to say, with Ulle Seber in goal. The last four contains Zemaitis, Tufte, Giertych and Smetona. Quinten Zermin as holding midfield, with Plovnarov, Devold and Knutsen in front of him. Dalmshelf along with Rettinger in attack. I’ld like to single out two interesting omissions here, starting with Eero Halmiini. Not in the squad, but there’s Knutsen.”
“Not a bad decision,” Heibye thought, “he’s prone for injuries and Espen is almost as good – and has much more match rhythm. If you looked at the difficulty Eero had at stomaching the Beltane, I’ld say, keep it like this.”

All nodded, this move from Shale was unquestioned.

“Also on the bench, Damian Balnerii. He surprised us all when he got the call from the manager, but hasn’t disappointed since. He might have been our best striker in the preparation to these qualifiers, so shouldn’t he start.”
“Well Simon,” Heibye took the word again, “it’s a crying shame he doesn’t. Balnerii is the man of the moment, he should play. He’s got that bit extra that Buyan needs so desperately.”
“But with whom,” Kullersdorf riposted, “who will you leave out?”
“Well, maybe Rettinger is…” Heibye walked into the trap with his eyes wide open.
“Then you bring two similar types in front of goal, they will not work it out,” the Blau-Weiss manager smiled – the first time he did on the entire show.
“Or you let Dalmshelf off,” Heibye challenged him to a second round.

The smile from Kullersdorf became a frown and then the grin of an animal ready to tear his opponent apart.

“I think you can say that Duco Dalmshelf was the best attacker of the last two qualification campaigns, continuously good for goals both for the national team and his club…”
“Your club,” Heibye scored the equaliser.
“That has nothing to do with it!” Kullersdorf fulminated.
“If you say so,” the pundit teased the coach, “but if so, why protest against leaving him out?”
“Because Duco should play!”

The volume went up and even the camera guy started to feel uncomfortable. Simon Huvl might have liked a bit of atmosphere, but he knew the limits as well.

“Ok, ok… Edvald, what is your opinion?”

The former striker blushed and mumbled something along the lines of “maybe we could try with three strikers?”
“No,” Kullerdorf sighed, “you’ll put the midfield in a situation where they’re one man down. Their 3-4-3 is a farce to modern football, but gets risky when you don’t respond to it well.”

It sounded as if he was teaching a fifth grader about how to calculate with numbers above hundred. Again.

“Either way,” Huvl redirected the conversation, “we can say that Shale opted for what he sees as the strongest team. No lay-back moment with the clash against Estope – very vital for qualification – in mind.”
“Too bad,” Heibye answered, “I’ld have liked to see some youngsters appear. Why not bring in Ruutu? Wladecki? Hostmann? Rootare? There is so much…”
“You’re bloody mad.”

The statement from Kullersdorf came so impromptu, so lost in the conversation that everyone remained still for a moment, the mouth of Heibye still half-open, the arm of Huvl mid-air.

“But there’s no talking with this man!” Heibye gasped.

Huvl tried to save the day with a “what’s your opinion, Edvald?” but the two fighting cocks quarrelled louder than Mattisson could squeal something about “the importance of automatisms”.

“Let’s go to an insight about the Paymina national team, a report by Annike Brudel as she visited their last training.”

Whilst a sweet female voice introduced those watching to a montage with some remarkable saves from Abdullah Mehtab, the goal scored by Elahi Edhi in their latest victory in the Baptism of Fire and a spectacular dribble from the feet of Shazaid Khan, Henrik turned it off. He knew enough.

“Knutsen starting, that’s good news. I always liked him above Halmiini, he’s got more power and that’s kind of what we’re missing.”

The silence only was halted by short, monotonous beeps.

“Either way, I’ll have to go.”

Henrik stood up, repositioned the chair again in the corner where it belonged and bowed over the bed.

“Goodnight, dad,” he whispered before walking out. After carefully looking to the left and right, he stealthily paced through the hallway. Having almost reached the elevators, a shrill voice stopped him.

“Mister Jorgensen!”

Fuck.

“What have I told you about visiting after the hours?”
“I know, miss Branvell,” Henrik sighed and he tried to make the empathy bubble over her shiny white shell, “but I always have to work at those times.”
“I think our visiting hours are clear and we permit no exceptions!”

For a head nurse, empathy was pretty much wasted on miss Branvell.

“But it’s convenient you’re here, as I have a letter for you from the director.”

Exactly why Henrik had tried to run off. A second attempt was even more feeble as she held his arm. She didn’t even need to open it to remark.

“I think his patience is ending. Four more days, if I’m correctly.”

Henrik bowed his head, thinking about the gunny sack that seemed to become a bottomless pit.

“I’ll take care of it. How is he?”
“Mister Jorgensen, you ask me this question every week,” miss Branvell spoke without much mercy, “and when someone is in a coma, not a lot changes every week.”
Last edited by Buyan on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
From Some Village
'Bu', like in 'book'. 'Yan' like the cyclist 'Jan Ullrich'.
RP Population: 22 million
Overenthusiast and slightly naive Republic ruled by Sil Moen
State of Economy: deplorable
Weather: cold
Atmosphere: less depressing than before, but only a bit

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:45 am

Today was going to be a big day. Abanhfleft was about to face off against a real powerful football team for the first time. The game would be against Eastfield Lodge, a team rumored to be rank 77 in the world stage. This was definitely going to be a tough game. Already the players were doing their very best to keep up with a team of such caliber. James Tarragona was spending night after night honing his goalkeeping skills. Chelsea Stuart, Alex Rousseau, and Sonny Torres were helping Jimmy train by practicing their own kicks. Luke Edwards had even arranged a scrimmage between the starters and the substitutes, and it resulted in a 3-3 draw.

But all this was apparently for naught, for apparently Eastfield Lodge had decided not to release a roster, even just for their upcoming game against Abanhfleft. Were they so sure of themselves that they think that they can beat a football team with a bunch of no-name nobodies? Why, if they were so arrogant, then surely they deserved to be brought back down to earth. To be honest, Abanhfleft stood little chance of winning against Eastfield Lodge. But this was football. Anything can happen. And even if Abanhfleft does lose to Eastfield Lodge, at least they lost while fighting. And that was what was important.

Whatever happens in the Abanhfleft vs. Eastfield Lodge, it will show that Abanhfleft will not give up. And it will also serve as a good introduction for Fleftic football to the rest of the world. Vyievra Abanhfleft, indeed.

(OOC: Sorry for the short and quite possibly shitty post. I've got a little time left to post this, and I've been drawn in a group where no one else looks to be active. Actually, that might give me a chance to qualify, so it's not all that bad. :twisted: :lol2: )
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

The Inevitable Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Inevitable Syndicate » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:01 am

I walked out onto the stage, facing many people. I didn't know that the company had selected so many volunteers from Fligsive. Clearing my throat, I clicked the button on my laser pointer, and began my presentation:

Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our presentation today. It’s going to be a quick one, as I don’t want to waste all of your time, and should you accept what we have in front of you, you may wish to leave in order to take part immediately! At least, that’s what we hope. Now, there are many of you here, obviously, so without further ado, let’s get started by introducing… The Mertian Outpost Initiative!

So, you may be wondering, what exactly is the Mertian Outpost Initiative? I don’t blame you for not knowing the specifics, but the basic overview is quite straight forward. The initiative is a new and unique form of border control, being practised over in Mertagne. As the latest Mertian government is having trouble securing the land handed to them by the WA, they have outsourced the running of some of these border outposts to only one company so far - the Fresko Trust. This allows us to choose who staffs these outposts, and this is why you are here today. You have been selected as a viable candidate to staff one of these outposts, like many other citizens, Fresko Trust or otherwise, across the entire Calanian Union.
So, you may be thinking, what’s the benefit of this initiative, apart from saving some money? Well, firstly it relaxes the rules and regulations for this section of border, as the Fresko Trust has a larger degree of control on the land within and on the border. This means that we, the people, can have a say on who enters the country. Of course, the country hasn’t quite caught up to the borderline yet, but that looks to be set to change in the coming decades. You will be the frontiersmen and women that we need, and also the scientists and engineers that various companies need to perform some out of the way research and development.
Now, here in the Former Syndicate, there isn’t much room to perform large-scale testing, and companies that you may work for have offered us large sums of money to send people off to perform material tests out in the wild. This unique opportunity also allows for the completion of Geographical Enquiries on the area before colonists arrive, meaning that we can set the groundwork for future settlements when they do arrive.

Fresko Trust might not be the most obvious choice for a company to control these outposts, but I believe that we can offer a fantastic service here for many reasons.
Firstly, we are already a brand leader in the Land Protection Market, installing services such as burglar alarms and also providing security systems and personnel to those who need it most. With coverage across the continent, in nations such as Krytenia and Starblaydia as well as at home, we are in an excellent position to be known as a company that people can trust, that also reflects their wishes.
Our tax break in 2192 also allowed the company funds for expansion, and we chose to extend our services into the land expansion market, becoming one of the first companies of our type. We now deal in logistics for future building sites, and also now concern ourselves with conducting studies for future expansion projects. Our work is also currently being used on Fligsive’s project to become self sustaining, with our employees mapping out a future electricity network that would require no outside input.
The Fresko Trust also had a hand in the construction of all 328 border outposts in the nation, drawing up architectural designs and also having an influential say in their placement. Many of them are still under construction in the south, as Rubicondo and Flynn’s have been working hard to ensure the highest quality buildings are used to protect our borders.
We also have close ties with the Mertian National Trust, and did have close ties with it’s predecessor before the government reshuffle. We were responsible for the security of Westonbirt National Park, a site here in the Former Syndicate that many flocked to see every year, as it was an area of outstanding natural beauty. While the park is no longer classed as a National Park, we are commited to having as little impact on the environment as possible with our operations.

The Mertian Expansion Zone is an area that’s very far away, so allow me to explain it in detail. The Expansion Zone is a defined border running along northern Calania, that was put in place as part of the negotiations after the Corvidae War. This Expansion Zone was created through the World Assembly, and after plans were revealed by the Mertian Government to expand their land, this was defined as the absolute limit they could expand into. The zone is policed by the military, and was also placed as a deterrent to the members of Corvidae that may infiltrate the north. The zone is currently on uninhabited Calanian land, is split into fifteen separate sectors, arranged by latitude.
The Fresko Trust have bought the rights to control six of these sectors, and are free to sell them on pending approval from the Mertian Government. The Mertian Government themselves control the majority of these sections, eight of them, and one section was given to Rüntenbach following the Corvidae War, as a gesture of goodwill and support. Camp Brucke is stationed there, a known military complex for the Rüntenbach Army.
The land here isn’t that harsh a climate, but the mountains around it make it difficult to reach. Terrain is rocky, and many rivers have their upper course here, carving valleys into the landscape. Temperatures are very much colder than they are here, and a coniferous forest covers much of the area. Wild animals also cover the landscape, and species such as wolves, bears, and goats (mountain, non-sentient) have been reported in the area.

So, you might be wondering, why have we selected you for staffing the Mertian Expansion Zone? There are many reasons for this - you may already be a selected member of the Fresko Trust, and know much about the company’s operations. You could also be a member of a company that we will be working with, tasked to perform research by your parent company or here thanks to a sponsor. You may also have been selected for your expertise in a specific field, such as the species found around the Expansion Zone, or perhaps you might be an engineer who has particular expertise in the electrical systems used in the outpost.
To get this far, you have also probably seen psychologically profiled in order to survive effectively during your stay in the Expansion Zone. This is a difficult mission, do you need to be able to work well under pressure, as sometimes your life may depend on it. You also need to be effective on your own, as there will be times that nobody will be around, but you also need to be a key team player, for tasks that require it.
We’ve searched for people who are able to hold their own, and who are hardy. You will not be able to go home until the end of your stay, so being able to cope with the harsh environment and culture is very important. We’ve also checked to see if you’re mentally stable, as those relying on medication to control or activate emotions will not be able to cope out there. All of you also don’t have too many immediate family members, so you will not need to make regular contact with family and nobody will miss you. This is important as contact is limited in such a faraway place with such little infrastructure. Also, you have proven to be loyal to either your company or your establishment, and we appreciate that at the Fresko Trust - we don’t want a coup on our hands.
This is a vital chance at promotion for most of you, and you will be paid handsomely for your efforts on the border.

So, your mission will be stationed at the following outposts on this section, sectors 8 to 12, of the Mertian Expansion zone. As you can see, there are 33 numbered outposts, and two resupply stations. You will not be manning these alone, but you’ll not know who your team members are until you get there. This is for two reasons. The first reason is because this is a secret operation, and conspirators are known to be active within the company. Positioning groups of conspirators on the border checkpoint could create a weak link in the chain, and that could get our rights taken away from the government.
Secondly, you will not know who your teammates are as you will all be taking individual excursions from Neorudo.
Your mission will last two years. I know this is a very long time, but we need committed individuals on the border, and it’s very difficult to travel there often.
While at your outpost, you will be tasked with many different things. If you have a particular expertise, team members may defer you to perform specific tasks. An example of your duties are outlined below, and specifics will be available to you once you arrive.
Now, the awesome part. Pay. You will be payed every month starting from when you arrive, and ending two years after or when you leave, whichever is sooner. There will be a bonus when you arrive to welcome you in, and you will also recieve a bonus every Winterval, as the Fresko Trust’s way of saying thank you for your service. These payments are protected against currency inflation, as your bank accounts for these payments will be stored in Commerce Heights, and paid in kinograms of gold, or kgau. This will be withdrawable at the end of your mission.
The outpost you will be staying is state of the art, and has been constructed by Rubicondo, and designed by some of their best designers and ours. They meet the latest health and safety arrangements, and are up to code as of 2191. You will be safe in here, while you undergo your duties. They contain state of art testing equipment, in many forms, as requested by the sponsor companies that some of you may be a part of. Research can and will be done to a high standard, and when in your down time we also offer the best in leisure equipment, things like computers, table-tennis tables, and I think one of outposts has a pool…
There is also equipment to effectively police your border from wild animals and other hazards that may be a threat to your outpost. If you request anything, you can submit lists detailing anything you may need, and every six months we will guarantee to visit you and provide you with any provisions. And, finally, there will be an internet connection, so you’ll be able to while away the hours with ease. So, any questions?
The Inevitable Syndicate - Host of World Cup 66 with Audioslavia
Precursor to Mertagne (same user) and Euran Oceania Territories (IC)

Furellum
Spokesperson

Founded: May 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Furellum » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:53 am

Outside the palace was Liberty Grounds. Before the revolution it had belonged to the palace, for the pleasure of the Grand Duke alone. That had not stopped Furellum from turning the flat part of the park into a football field, and using it as the national "stadium". Stadium was perhaps not quite the right word: there was no permanent seating, and most spectators brought their own chairs. Of course, watching football on the grounds was trespassing, as was playing football on them, but no one had cared. No one bothered to tell the Grand Duke either, apparently. Presumably he wouldn't have cared if he had known; Yuri was surprised at King Aldrich's reaction to the loss of his far off duchy. The Special Administrator had expected a Maalvian warship in the harbour within a week of the revolution. Instead it had been over a year, with no reaction from Maalvia. Of course, that might change now. Grigori had just informed him of the death of King Aldrich. What would Prince Vladimir do, once he was king? Try to retake Furellum? Well, Yuri had planned for that eventuality. The ancient stone walls that surrounded Altsby were now studded with SAM batteries, courtesy of Lex Crowley. He had a couple of sailing ships in the harbour, wooden ships he'd had clad in iron and armed with modern weapons. He could also mine the entrance to the harbour in the vent of an attack. Should Maalvia gain Altsby of course, all Yuri had to do was abandon the city, and retreat through the White Tower into Greater Furellum, sealing the bridge behind him. However, that was a method of last resort, for once sealed no one from Furellum could ever return to the other realm.

Yuri pushed his worries of the new Maalvian king to the back of his mind. Right now, he needed to appear confident. And he did appear confident, as he strode out to the centre of the football pitch, accompanied by a fanfare and half a dozen members of the Plotzopagaznik, resplendent in their black uniforms. He marched past 22 other people in black uniforms, with a stylised bird in green, blue, white and gold. The members of Furellum's national football team. Now loyal to the Corvidae, every one. Now loyal to Yuri, who was the Corvidae in Furellum. The Special Administrator strode confidently to the podium and began his speech. In it, he praised the loyalty of the Corvidae members, promised that Furellum would become a nation of relevance in the region. He spoke at length on the role of sport, and introduced the crowd to the players of the national team, each one receiving a handshake and their away shirt as a symbolic gesture from the leader of their nation.

It was much later, after the field had been cleared, that Yuri had a guest call at the rear of the Administrator's palace. The guest was ushered into a private room, where she set up her equipment. After about half an hour, Yuri joined her alone. He sat on a stiff chair, facing his guest, an old she-wolf. She sat on a cushion on the floor, and drawn in front of her was a triangle in green chalk, divided up into smaller triangles. Yuri recognised it as a magic triangle, based on the magic numbers of 3 and 9. The witch, for that is what she was, spoke to Yuri. "What is your desire, my lord?"
"You have the list I gave you?" Asked Yuri, keeping his eyes firmly on the witch's face.
" I have. You wish to know what, about these nations?"
"Football. I wish to know who will qualify of these nations."
The witch waved her hand over the triangle. It glowed, responding to her movement. Yuri forced himself to remain still, and remain unresponsive. From her sleeve, the witch pulled out a scroll, on which was written the words:
"Group 2
Albundania (UR)
Valladares (6)
Wolfbenz (248)
Mendoya (213)
Gregoryisgodistan (35)
Sargossa (45)
Furellum (69)
Leadan (319)
Nassau Hessen (99)"

The witch threw the scroll onto the triangle, and it immediately burst into flame. Then the triangle burst into a brilliant white light, so fierce that Yuri had to shield his eyes with his paw. The witch, however, looked straight into the light. After a short while, she began to speak.

"Numbers I see, the magic rule of three. Three threes are nine, the numbers do not lie. Valladares rank is six, two threes an auspicious number, but in between three and nine, a middle number, middle ground for this team. Wolfbenz have the power of twos, a weak number, makes the team weak. Almost the product of nine times nine times three, but not near enough. Nine times nine times three is 243, take three tens is 213: Mendoya's rank, and an auspicious number. Dangerous, very dangerous.

243 plus 76 is the rank of Leadan. 76 I see, many times, in Furellum's own future. Twice 39, the good-bad number. Both magic numbers, it goes into 3, makes the cursed number 13. Sargossa's root is five, a pointless number, never making 3 or 9, useless. Gregoryisgodistan is better, they have three, but again 5, making whole half good. Albundania, U is 21st letter of alphabet, R the 18th. 18 and 21 is 39, again good-bad. 39 also in Furellum's fortune I see, twice it is 76. Starting players have numbers equal to 76, eleven players, 76 into 11 is 6.9, 69. Team's rank, divide by magic number of three, comes to 23. Reverse the numbers, 32, remember the fortunes of Furellum in the 32nd Di Bradini Cup. A good omen, but divide 23 by 3, it comes to 7.6, 76. Twice the good bad number, even more bad, twice, not third, and 7 and 6 together is 13. Undos all the good of having twice three and nine as our rank. More fortune for Nassau Hessen, number 99, the perfect number. Into 3, it comes up as eternal threes, a perfect omen. Into 9, it comes up as 11, one nine for each player. No doubt, they are the most fortunate."

The witch stopped talking, and clapped her hands. Immediately the light faded, leaving behind a scrap of paper. The witch picked it up and threw it over to Yuri, who collected it. The witch said, "That is the list, in order of their fortunes. M magic tells me that this is how it must be."
Yuri looked at the list. If the witch was right, by the end of qualifying, group 2 would look something like this:
"1. Nassau Hessen
2. Mendoya
3. Furellum
4. Valladares
5. Albundania
6. Leadan
7. Gregoryisgodistan
8. Wolfbenz
9. Sargossa"

Yuri tucked the paper into his pocket, stood up, and bowing to the witch, left the room. The witch scurried over to his seat, and picked up the small bag he'd left behind. The sound of metal clinked briefly as she swept her payment into the recesses of her robe, then scrubbed out the triangle on the floor. Then she left the palace, hurrying out into the dark of the night.
Winners of the Thirty-first Di Bradini Cup!

The Magical, Anthropomorphic Trans-Dimensional Secret Oligarchy

Proudly located in Atlantian Oceania

Puppet of Barunia
Currently ruled by a secret society
Runner ups at the 4th and 5th U-15 World Cup, with a third place finish in the 6th!

Greater Watford
Envoy

Founded: Sep 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Watford » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:46 am

Football in Greater Watford hasn’t got the heritage of many nations. Whilst nations were competing in the world stage, the football in Greater Watford was struggling to even set up an effective domestic league, with turmoil and bickering throughout its history. Stabilisation of the politics of the country has helped end the trouble and strife, and now there is a fully established footballing pyramid. GWSports will be exploring the past and present of football in our nation, complemented with famous match reports and extracts from leading figures at the time.

89BU

89BU was the year football is deemed to have officially kicked off. In that year, Watford FC was established. From its original declaration form, it speaks of being “a club to unify the city of Watford, a club to find the best football talent in Watford, and to provide a source of community to the City of Watford.” It is unique to see a club form without any other official opposition, other than many local clubs in small communities.

Not long afterwards, Hemel Hempstead FC was formed, along the same lines, to have a team represent the city. It was only inevitable that the 2 sides would meet someday, and on the 22nd March 89BU, the inaugural match occurred. The stadium was known as “The Green Hill Stadium”, a reference to the slope that the many fans stood on. Today, the original field has been preserved, although it is no longer used for footballing purposes.

The kits both teams wore bear striking similarities to their modern colours. Eyewitness and reporter Reginald James says “Watford turned out in their yellow cotton shirts, with black cargo style shorts and black knee length cotton socks. For Hemel Hempstead, they have red cotton shirts, with white shorts and white socks”. Of interesting note, was that the goalkeeper was identified solely by a khaki cap on his head, and not by the colour of his shirt. This would be a much later invention.

Players also had no kit numbers at the time, and identification was solely done by eyewitnesses and the reporters. Indeed, it was reported that “we had a great deal of a time to recognise each player. 22 blurry photos were given to us, to help us note the players involved in key events”.

The first game was a 1-1 draw between the two sides. The first goal was scored in the 63rd minute by Fester Carmichael. Official match reports say that “it was a daring run by by the left forward of Bussett. He rolled the ball across the floor. Carmichael was the first to it, and tapped it over the arms of Roys, through the posts. The crowd cheered and applauded the goal, with great enthusiasm.” Hemel equalised, with “a skimmed shot, that slid over the surface of the pitch, into the opposite corner to Albright. A shot that Hanford could not reach, and it tied the game up.” The match was held in friendly spirits, and the reverse fixture happened a few weeks later, this time ending with a 1-0 win to Hemel Hempstead.
Honours:
International FireStorm V Cup Winner with Watford FC
International FireStorm VI Cup Winner with St Albans City FC

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports