NATION

PASSWORD

The World Cup Discussion Thread (OOC, Version IV)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Could you be more specific about what currently existing problem you think reworking the KPB system will solve?
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:22 pm

The group draw and schedule are now entered into the first post of the CoH 79 thread. Good luck!
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Audioslavia wrote:
trollifiers.png
(Image)
LOOK UPON THESE WORKS, YE MARGARET, AND DESPAIR

50% of [X] shared among the 2nd placed teams in that 'A' playoff.
35% of [X] shared among the 3rd placed teams in that 'A' playoff.
5% of [X] given to whoever wins that absurd Losers Knockout.
The other 10% given to those teams that got through to that 16-team playoff but lost. These points are in addition to previous ones.

You weren't even in the 1st GCF World ODI Trophy...
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:40 pm

Graintfjall wrote:Could you be more specific about what currently existing problem you think reworking the KPB system will solve?

This isn't a problem/solution situation. This is a limitation/<whatever the verb is for removing a limitation> situation.

Quite a few World Cups (for example World Cups 87, 86, 83, 81, 80, 76, 75, 74, 73, 72, 71, 70, 69, 68, 67, 65, 64, 63, 62, 61, 60. 59. 58, 57, 56 and 54, to name just a small majority of modern era World Cups) use a secondary qualifying phase - whether knockout playoffs (most of the above) or a secondary group system (cycles 83 and 54. I don't recall any other from the top of my head). These secondary matches do not currently count for KPB points despite being played in the World Cup. They are the only regularly occurring WCC matches that do not count for KPB points.

Whether or not anyone thinks the above is or isn't a problem is completely irrelevant to me. What I want to address is that only using the first stage of qualifiers for KPB points prevents prospective hosts from being able to utilise more robust second phases.

The system(s) I've put forward tries to do one thing. It offers a way for prospective hosts to utilise a more robust secondary qualifying system without rendering many of the matches meaningless in terms of the rankings.

As a side-effect, it moves a handful of talented teams a quarter-step closer to the elites, while ensuring that they cannot in any way gain an advantage on the elite teams through some accidental mis-use of the system. Again, whether people think this is a good or a bad thing is irrelevant to me.
Last edited by Audioslavia on Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krytenia
Senator

Postby Krytenia » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:03 pm

So, here's my idea, in three sections:

Full two-stage qualifying: This scenario is based on a qualifying system where no nation qualifies directly from stage one. Any points gained in stage two are added to the nation's points total from qualifying; the games played remains unchanged.

One-stage qualifying with split automatic-playoff places: Or, in other words, a system like WC87, where some second placed teams qualify automatically for the World Cup, whilst others go to a playoff. Teams that reach the playoffs but fail to qualify gain a 1KPB bonus, entered into the same column of the spreadsheet as the 3KPB qualification bonus.

One-stage qualifying with blanket playoffs: That is to say, where everyone finishing in X place in the group goes to a playoff, but where all teams finishing in Y place qualify automatically. In this case, there are no changes.

Thoughts?
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Audioslavia wrote:This isn't a problem/solution situation. This is a limitation/<whatever the verb is for removing a limitation> situation.
Whether or not anyone thinks the above is or isn't a problem is completely irrelevant to me. What I want to address is that only using the first stage of qualifiers for KPB points prevents prospective hosts from being able to utilise more robust second phases.

Ok, but evidently having put quite a bit of thought and effort into this, you view that limitation as a problem.

And then looking at your previous post suggesting a format that is now possible. Why would we want to do something like that? If you're telling me the present system prevents that... well... I think that's good.

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:16 pm

World Cup Draw happening in half-an-hour at 2245 UTC, LIVE on discord.
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Audioslavia » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:32 pm

Kelssek wrote:Ok, but evidently having put quite a bit of thought and effort into this, you view that limitation as a problem.

I don't believe there is a problem with the current KPB system. I believe the current KPB system has a limitation. If you infer otherwise, you're mistaken.

Kelssek wrote:And then looking at your previous post suggesting a format that is now possible. Why would we want to do something like that? If you're telling me the present system prevents that... well... I think that's good.

Surprisingly enough, trollifiers.png was an attempt at a bit of levity. I wasn't seriously putting it forward as an idea. I think attitudes to whether or not two-stage qualifiers are a good or bad thing can be saved for the host voting process. They exist and there's a way to factor them into the KPB rankings. That's all we're doing here.

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:22 pm

The RP Thread has been updated with groups and the schedule. The first match of the World Cup will be on Saturday 13th. Groups A-D will be scored by me, so be aware that the cutoff is earlier than Taeshan's (groups E-H). If your team is in Group A-D you will have a cutoff time of 2330-0030 UTC, if you are in Group E-H your cutoff will be between 0100-0200 UTC. Good luck!
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Krytenia
Senator

Postby Krytenia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:43 pm

Rami now has an assistant. Basically, run.

By the way, Simon Kentley is a bit of an Easter egg namewise. Virtual cookie to whoever works it out.

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:42 pm

congrats to Tequilo for carrying on the magic of winning a competition after eliminating us. 8)
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Hey guys, just a reminder that the World Cup starts in 23 hours. The cutoff window for Groups A-D is 2330-0030 UTC (23 hours) and the cutoff window for Groups E-H is 0100-0200 UTC (24.5 hours away). Good luck!
Esportivan and Proud.

Silvedania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Silvedania » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:36 pm

Ethane wrote:Hey guys, just a reminder that the World Cup starts in 23 hours. The cutoff window for Groups A-D is 2330-0030 UTC (23 hours) and the cutoff window for Groups E-H is 0100-0200 UTC (24.5 hours away). Good luck!

I thought the World Cup already started? Do you mean the CoH?
Silvedania, the majestic nation.
NS Stats are mostly accurate except for a few things, like this nation is capitalist and the death penalty isn't in effect

News:All trade with Crabaiaia and Pikala has stopped as diplomats meet in Trenaka.  Silvedanians are confused by Quentin Tarantulatino's new film, Seasonal Snackbox(This is a Bojack Horseman reference.) Weird song goes viral for making no sense.

Co-founder of LITA | Member of ICDN | Former Member of SETA | Member of IFTC | He/Him/His | Airport: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=493569#p37851012
Being president looks like the worst job in the world. -John Mulaney

Independent Athletes from Quebec
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 20, 2020

Postby Independent Athletes from Quebec » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:56 pm

Silvedania wrote:
Ethane wrote:Hey guys, just a reminder that the World Cup starts in 23 hours. The cutoff window for Groups A-D is 2330-0030 UTC (23 hours) and the cutoff window for Groups E-H is 0100-0200 UTC (24.5 hours away). Good luck!

I thought the World Cup already started? Do you mean the CoH?

CoH had to start few days earlier than WC due to the fact that they have an extra round to account for.
Kingdom of Quebec & Shingoryeo
World Cup of Hockey Federation President (cycles 24-29, cycle 47-49) - NationStates College Football Commissioner (cycles 20-)
Trigramme: QUE | Denonym: Quebecois/Shingoryeoite (interchangeable) | Population: 94 million
MegaSport.que - The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere

International Basketball Championships 37-39 Champions
World Cup of Hockey XXVI Champions

Mriin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 17, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Mriin » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:38 pm

Independent Athletes from Quebec wrote:
Silvedania wrote:I thought the World Cup already started? Do you mean the CoH?

CoH had to start few days earlier than WC due to the fact that they have an extra round to account for.

Rather, I think Silvedania might be confused by our terminology here.

Ethane is referring to the World Cup Proper (sometimes referred to as the World Cup Finals): ie, the bit where there's only 32 nations left after the World Cup Qualifiers have finished.
<Yuezhou> I am willfully ignoring the existence of boats

Tequilo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2018

Postby Tequilo » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:26 pm

Commonwealth of Baker Park wrote:congrats to Tequilo for carrying on the magic of winning a competition after eliminating us. 8)

Thank you! If you are the kingmaker around these parts I look forward to meeting you again some time, perhaps in a World Cup?!
Last edited by Tequilo on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::: FORGOTTEN BUT NOT GONE :::
BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE

Silvedania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Silvedania » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:46 am

Mriin wrote:
Independent Athletes from Quebec wrote:CoH had to start few days earlier than WC due to the fact that they have an extra round to account for.

Rather, I think Silvedania might be confused by our terminology here.

Ethane is referring to the World Cup Proper (sometimes referred to as the World Cup Finals): ie, the bit where there's only 32 nations left after the World Cup Qualifiers have finished.

Oh, I see.
Silvedania, the majestic nation.
NS Stats are mostly accurate except for a few things, like this nation is capitalist and the death penalty isn't in effect

News:All trade with Crabaiaia and Pikala has stopped as diplomats meet in Trenaka.  Silvedanians are confused by Quentin Tarantulatino's new film, Seasonal Snackbox(This is a Bojack Horseman reference.) Weird song goes viral for making no sense.

Co-founder of LITA | Member of ICDN | Former Member of SETA | Member of IFTC | He/Him/His | Airport: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=493569#p37851012
Being president looks like the worst job in the world. -John Mulaney

Squidroidia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2020

Postby Squidroidia » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:21 am

As was discussed in the Cup of Harmony RP just posted, the Squidroidian Football Association have sacked their first ever manager Ryūzaki Mito due to poor performance (Not advancing past the group stage) in the Cup of Harmony. Due to this, an open search for a new national team boss has begun by the SFA.

The expectations for the Squidroidia job for the World Cup 88 cycle are laid out as follows:

• IAC - Quarter-Finals at minimum (NOTE: This may change if Squidroidia were to exit the Independent regions and move to AO, Rushmore or Esportiva)
  • World Cup Qualification - Decent campaign in qualification (Top 3 challenge is preferred, however a bottom half finish will not jive well!)
  • Post-Qualification Tournaments - At least the knockout stage of the Cup of Harmony, if Squidroidia make the World Cup proper no expectations will be enforced

The Squidroidian FA would also be happy with a tactics change, as it has been noted that under Manager Mito, the 4-3-3 formation has led to a stale core, hence why their bad results in the Cup of Harmony.

If any candidates want to apply for the job, please TG me (Or DM me on Discord, my name there is @Wot in Tarnation#0058).

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:22 am

Squidroidia wrote:As was discussed in the Cup of Harmony RP just posted, the Squidroidian Football Association have sacked their first ever manager Ryūzaki Mito due to poor performance (Not advancing past the group stage) in the Cup of Harmony. Due to this, an open search for a new national team boss has begun by the SFA.

The expectations for the Squidroidia job for the World Cup 88 cycle are laid out as follows:

• IAC - Quarter-Finals at minimum (NOTE: This may change if Squidroidia were to exit the Independent regions and move to AO, Rushmore or Esportiva)
  • World Cup Qualification - Decent campaign in qualification (Top 3 challenge is preferred, however a bottom half finish will not jive well!)
  • Post-Qualification Tournaments - At least the knockout stage of the Cup of Harmony, if Squidroidia make the World Cup proper no expectations will be enforced

The Squidroidian FA would also be happy with a tactics change, as it has been noted that under Manager Mito, the 4-3-3 formation has led to a stale core, hence why their bad results in the Cup of Harmony.

If any candidates want to apply for the job, please TG me (Or DM me on Discord, my name there is @Wot in Tarnation#0058).

I presume this means you wouldn't take managers with a strong domestic track record but no international experience? Not sure Ethanian domestic managers would qualify for strong domestic track record though considering the league ranking.
Esportivan and Proud.

Squidroidia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2020

Postby Squidroidia » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:29 am

Ethane wrote:I presume this means you wouldn't take managers with a strong domestic track record but no international experience? Not sure Ethanian domestic managers would qualify for strong domestic track record though considering the league ranking.

I would accept managers with a track record in domestic leagues, yes. It's not just international experience that the SFA will accept. The jump from club to country may be hard but if people want to take the jump, they are more than welcome to apply.

Nephara
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephara » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 pm

I decided to put together a general reference sheet for the NSSverse. Feel free to add yourself.

General etiquette:
1) Don't add new columns
2) Be mindful of how much space your bar is taking up - this is an overview, not a deep dive - using smaller font sizes where necessary
3) Try to keep your political party colours legible and easy on the eye. Instead of the most powerful 255/0/0 red, consider some of the milder, pastel colours that make the sheet look a lot less busy
Last edited by Nephara on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCC Grand Slam champion.
Accidental Gridiron Championship Silver Belt holders for six cycles??

Masculine, Feminine and Mixed-Sex Name Generators

Tequilo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2018

Postby Tequilo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 am

Nephara wrote:...a general reference sheet for the NSSverse...

Thank you, quite an interesting document. I wonder if the link might be preserved in the pinned Guide to Sports Roleplaying?
::: FORGOTTEN BUT NOT GONE :::
BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:04 am

No time to waste - posting this here:
challonge.com/WCCCoH79

Try your hands at predicting who is the winner - a dark horse, a retiring nation (Mriin), or a legend (Eura)? The clock is ticking - predictions closes when Cass's cutoff occurs in less than 48 hours.

Also, be prepared for something similar in the WC.

PS: Login if you want to change your predictions/view them.
Last edited by PotatoFarmers on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:33 am

Hey guys, apologies that we haven't been massively clear on the match-ups following the Round of 16 in the World Cup. I forgot to add the playoff fixtures to the OP of the RP thread, so will do so now. We're utilising the bracket used in the 2018 World Cup to set our match ups following the group stages.

So match ups will be:

A1 vs B2                                                          B1 vs A2
A1/B2 vs C1/D2 B1/A2 vs D1/C2
C1 vs D2 D1 vs C2
Final and 3PPO
E1 vs F2 F1 vs E2
E1/F2 vs G1/H2 F1/E2 vs G1/H2
G1 vs H2 H1 vs G2

Hope that this doesn't cause any massive inconvenience. Sorry to those that RPd the other format (we didn't realise that format was established in precedence!).
Last edited by Ethane on Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Esportivan and Proud.

Farfadillis
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Farfadillis » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:49 pm

I already know the answer since I've talked it out with the hosts, but could they please share their reasoning for changing the contents of their bid, adding in a tiebreaker that wasn't there, in order to make Poafmersia advance without going through RP bonus first? I feel like in a case like this it'd be good to at least make the reasoning public.
The Outlandish Lands of Farfadillis Ӿ Population: 20,814,000 ± 11,186,000
Capital: not applicable Ӿ Demonym: Farf, plural Farves
Shango-Fogoa Premier League (wiki) Ӿ Farfadillis national football team Ӿ Map of Farfadillis Ӿ Name Generator

Champions: World Cup 84 and AOCAF Cups 43, 48 and 57
Hosts: World Cups 85 and 91, Baptisms of Fire 54, 68 and 78 and AOCAF Cups 38, 60 and 67

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports