NATION

PASSWORD

International Baseball Slam VI: Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Lion's Roar

A SportsWorld Weblog

The Pitching is Sh*t, but at least the Lions are .500
by Alpha Lion

Best Teams at Consistently Playing Below Their Talent Level

1. Nova Anglicana
2. Nova Anglicana
3. Nova Anglicana
4. Nova Anglicana
5. Imo-just kidding, it's Nova Anglicana

Seriously, folks. If there were an award for playing down to your opponents, the Lions would take it every year. In the WBC this year, they struggled their way to a 5-3 record and 2nd place in the group despite being the top seed. Then they needed three games each to beat Brenecia and Patistan, followed by getting swept by Western Cuba in the quarters, a team who hadn't entered in seven Classics.

So enter the IBS. The Lions have always had success in this event (we're not going to talk about IBS IV) and they entered as the number two overall seed. Who was in group A with them? A bunch of nobodies. Literally. No team who had entered the IBS or WBC before. The format had even changed to playing three game series instead of single games. Nobody expected the Lions to go 24-0, but the chances of IBS giants winning two out of three against rookie competitors every time out had to be pretty huge. As it is, the Lions sit at 3-3. Purely mediocre. The offense has been there, averaging seven runs a contest. Kareem's already got three homers and ten RBI. That's not a problem. The problem's been the pitching, especially the starters. Man, I love me some Felix Murphy, but I have to ask:

Murph's had two pretty terrible starts so far. He gave up seven runs in 5.2 innings against Globus (though to be fair, two of those runs scored after he had left the game), and then delivered an absolute clunker against Bitburg, allowing seven runs in just four innings. He's got a 13.03 ERA in 9.2 innings pitched, with ten strikeouts to three walks. It looks a little fluky right now, as he's given up three home runs in his two starts and is sporting a .333 BABIP against a career rate of .284, but still. As the ace of the staff, he has to be a shutdown guy that can get the Lions a win when they need one.

But it hasn't been just Felix Murphy. Justin Garcia got shelled for six runs in 5.1 innings against Globus, even though the Lions won the game 9-7. Chris Keyes slopped his way to five runs allowed in six innings (Globus), and Nate Freeman got lit up for six runs in 5.2 innings (Bitburg), though the Lions eventually won that one. Brad Bryan, the man many had thought would never appear in a Lions uniform again after his inconsistent WBC performance, pitched eight innings of two-run ball against Bitburg, striking out nine. The bullpen has been marginally better, with an ERA of 5.49, including some good extended shutout innings. But they've blown saves and doomed the Lions' chances of rallying as well.

They have got to get back on track pitching-wise. Elmer Sutton or Bates has got to do something, or the Lions will play themselves out of contention because they can't stop throwing the ball in spots where the other guy with the long stick can hit it. That, or they've got to score about ten runs every game. Come on offense, you're letting everyone down!

More from Lion's Roar
World Cup Qualifying Approacheth: Is This The Year?
Lions Will Face Wild Herd in RAHI
Summer Olympics: Time to Get Really Excited About a Bunch of Sports We Don't Care About (usually)

(OOC: Logo at top shamelessly cribbed from Pride of Detroit, Detroit Lions blog. Once again, I've proved that I am the worst at rank-cruising. I just don't get it.)
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 pm

It had been a close series between the Royals and the Mountaineers. Overall, there was a sense of nervousness before this series. The tension lasted throughout. The Mountaineers were a good team and it showed. Each game was close. Vangaziland eked out a lead in the series. It all boiled down to good defense and timely hitting.

The Royals were bested in game one. But lessons were learned. The pitching staff became used to the hitter's style. The fielders also got a better understanding of the lineup and their capabilities. The second and third games showed how important a good bullpen is. The closer picked up another save. The setup man performed well in both games.

But baseball is not all about stats and performance. The team had a great time on the field and it showed. It looked like this national team was starting to come together. Yet they had only just begun. The Vannish people were known for their humility. The group was playing tough and there was a lot of baseball left. They would need to stay motivated and healthy.

Of course, all eyes were on Pete Varnish. He picked up his second win in game 3 of the series. When approached by the media after the game he tersely responded, "I just want to play baseball."

It was a message that reverberated around the whole team. They just wanted to play ball. Some thought the message might be in regards to the drama that was happening because of one team. It was relevant to the Vangazi because two of their regional, military allies were in the league with that team. They hoped they could avoid that nation's foolishness and not be dragged into a war designed to boost someone's ego.

But for now, they were free to "just play baseball".

Berk Island
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Berk Island » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:53 pm

"This is IBS News live in Lake Monroe. I'm Albert Doublenight.

Chaos reigns across Costa Luna at this hour. It started in the morning in Lake Monroe where Gregoryisgodistan government executed a hundred individuals for comments made by the former Queen. Surprisingly and rather foolishly the former Queen was not one of the hundred executed. This poor judgment by the Gregoryisgodistan government gave hope for many Costa Lunians that have not had much to hope for since the nation was taken over about six months ago.

Then around noon today, the national communications station in Bayou Towne was seized by rebels who switched the television programming from the second of three IBS games for Gregoryisgodistan to the third IBS game in Berk. Not only did Berk win the 4-1 over Estope, but the former Princesa was seen in attendance. The seeing of the exiled Princesa was the spark that set off the entire region in an uproar.

The Costa Lunians are very well armed, having not surrendered their guns to the government six months ago. It has been estimated that about ninety percent of the billion Costa Lunians still have guns and ample ammunition.

The Costa Lunians have been on the offensive all day. In Lake Monroe, the Costa Lunians seized the Regional Capitol Building and executed the executive office including head of the Costa Luna region for Gregoryisgodistan. In Fioré City, many of the outer suburbs have been liberated by the Costa Lunians, who shot from their porches at soldiers marching down the suburban streets. In Bayou Towne, Costa Lunians seized the harbor, but were held at bay for the rest of the day.

It is estimated by the Gregoryisgodistan government that approximately five thousand soldiers and about two thousand Costa Lunians were killed today.

I am Albert Doublenight for IBS News. Good night and God save the Queen."

Pictures from Today's Uprising in Costa Luna

Crowds gathering outside of the Regional Capital Building in Lake Monroe after the execution of the executive office.

Costa Lunian rebels fighting on Palace Hill in Lake Monroe.

Destroyed bus in the middle of Bayou Towne.

Costa Lunian rebels seizing the area around the harbor in Bayou Towne.

Costa Lunian rebels patrolling an outer suburb of Fioré City.

Costa Lunian rocketeer in Fioré City.

Berk Island
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Berk Island » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Speech: Princesa Fioré's Message about Gregoryisgodistan

"Today the people of Costa Luna have spoken. They want to be free. They will die for their freedom if necessary. But they will not be slaves no more. Gregoryisgodistan must leave the nation of Costa Luna. They can no longer be allowed to occupy to the streets of Lake Monroe. No longer shall they be allowed to occupy the bayous of Bayou Towne or the hills of Fioré City. I call upon the world to support the Costa Lunians as they fight for survival. I will personally be meeting with Chief Astrid the Strong of Berk Island tomorrow morning to find out what help Berk Island can supply to my people. Additionally, I place Major Joe Mason in charge of the Costa Lunian rebel forces. I am especially charging Major Mason with securing the Royal Palace in Lake Monroe, where my mother continues to be held captive by Gregoryisgodistan.

I will end with a question to the world. Costa Luna has always stood up for the oppressed, but will you stand up for the oppressed Costa Lunians?"

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:41 am

MUSINGS OF AN ARMORED DINNER JACKET
Official blog of Ibrahim Ahmadinejad, Right Fielder of the Verbergerkinnh Cubs and the Abanhfleft Revolution

IT'S OFFICIAL; THE REVOLUTION IS OUT

I'd show a picture of the Revolution mourning yet another loss in the Slam, but no one wants the entire country to see them crying right now.

You read it right, guys; the Revolution is out of the Baseball Slam. There's no way that we can hope to qualify beyond this group stage. It just can't be done. All right, I'm sorry for sounding so pessimistic, but it's the truth. And we all know that sometimes, the truth just hurts.

To tell my honest and humble opinion, we just weren't prepared for such a high-profile tournament. I mean, our government just up and decided that we deserve a shot at the Baseball Slam, and so decided to enter the Revolution into the tournament with little or no warning at all! And we've barely begun training with each other when the Baseball Slam began, and we've come across as a young and inexperienced first-time team that simply doesn't have the skill or the players to make an impact in the game. Now that's not exactly true; but it's not exactly false, either. Sure, we are a young, inexperienced, first-timer team in such a level of international baseball such as the Slam.

But that doesn't mean we don't have the skills or players to make an impact. Carlos the Jackal (Teves), Habibi Teymourian, Desmond Bo, Orestes Whatever-His-Name-Is (snigger), and of course, yours truly, are some of the best players in the Fleftic baseball league. The Jackal's already rumored to be approached by MLB teams such as the Red Sox, White Sox, Dodgers, and whatnot. Orestes is already moving from Baseball League 2 up to the Major Leagues. And don't get me started on our pitchers: Justin, Ollie, Johnson, Burt, and Jake are some of the best pitchers I've ever seen in the League. We're also pretty deep when it comes to our bench. The only problem I see is that the players of the Revolution spend so much time playing for their league teams that when time comes that we have to work together, we just can't.

Frankly, what we need is more government support for the national baseball team. We had a good national baseball team before the Catholic Revolution. After that, the interim government just slapped together a bunch of Major League players that survived the revolution together and called it "the return of Fleftic baseball glory." This despite the fact that the government is barely allocating any budget to the baseball federation and, consequently, the national baseball team. President Be, Vice President Rogun, if you're reading my blog, don't take this as criticism of your sports policies. We (meaning the baseball team) need enough money to bring our facilities and training up to date, and to renovate the national stadium that had to be acquired by a private consortium of former and current Fleftic baseball players just so it won't fall into disrepair. To tell the truth, I've seen Baseball League 4 pitches that look better than the national stadium.

Dear readers, fans, and followers, I leave you with this statement: Quality matters, even in sports teams. Quality training, quality equipment, even quality time between players; that's what we need. Not blustering speeches about how the history of Fleftic baseball will see us through.

Anyway, most of the other players of the Revolution are returning home to play in the playoffs as soon as we finish the last series against Miley World, I think it was. Thankfully the Cubs have been eliminated, so me and the other guys can get to stay here in Noburu Taiyou and watch the rest of the Baseball Slam. It's proving to be a very good one. Don't be surprised if you open your Instagram or Twitter and see Barack, Kilgore, Johnny Kabebe, and me still in Noburu. This is the Armored Dinner Jacket saying ciao, peace. Catch you in the next post.

P/S: Here's a shoutout to my friend and fellow Cub Simon Barcelona, from Costa Luna. Just heard that his country's revolting against Gregoryisgodistan or something like that. I don't know what the government's stand is on this, but rest assured, Costa Luna fans, that I am 100 percent behind you guys. Once again, the Armored Dinner Jacket signing off.
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:54 am

Costa Lunian Palace Blown Up by Gregoryisgodistani Forces in Last-Ditch Strategy

Earlier this afternoon, Costa Lunian rebels stormed the royal palace and attempted to take it back from Gregoryisgodistani soldiers and free the former Queen who was being held captive. They appeared to be on the verge of doing so, when all of a sudden, the building blew up, killing everyone inside. At best estimates, 300 Costa Lunian rebels, plus the former Queen, were killed, along with 750 Gregoryisgodistani soldiers and guards. The palace was completely destroyed.

Months ago, the Gregoryisgodistani army secretly lined the palace with three tons of explosives, to be detonated in a suicide attack if the palace were ever on the verge of being seized by rebels. This would kill all the Gregoryisgodistani soldiers who were inside the palace at the time, but it would also kill the rebels and the queen and would be a devastating blow to the Costa Lunian effort.

Lord Almighty Gregory said the dead soldiers were martyrs and would be honored at the next Martyr's Day ceremony. "These brave and noble individuals gave their lives in the name of Gregoryisgodistan and the True Lord. They shall be honored. The Queen of Costa Luna is dead! May all of Costa Luna soon be dead too! They are idiots. They failed to anticipate our strategy and now they are dead. They are probably just saying 'Doy Doy Doy I'm a Costa Lunian WAAAH WAHHH WAAH I want my mother' because they are idiots. They are stupid. Have you watched that hit TV show 'Costa Lunians Say the Dardnest Things'? It's a must-see. No really, it is now because if you don't watch it, you and your family will be executed. Remember, we know what you're watching. So watch the show about the idiot Costa Lunians or you and your family will die. Like I said, it's a must see. I guest starred a couple days ago. It was awesome. I got to meet all the actors. You should watch it. You must. Or you will die. Death to Costa Luna!"
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Camerania
Envoy

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Camerania » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:00 am

EL "Hello, I'm Erik Linden, and welcome to the Baseball Report, on the Cameranian Sports Network. Today we come to you on the wake of an expected series loss against Super-Llamaland. While we did lose the series against the only ranked team in our group, we surprisingly weren't swept. This was especially pleasant, as we had previously been swept by a fellow unranked team. After this series, we are in a very low position in our, group. But many Cameranians, like Viktor Nygård, are certain that we can pull it off. Viktor, what are your thoughts, and how has it been so far for you as a fan?"
VN "Erik, it's been really great so far. We've seen our Shar of losses, but I mean who hasn't, right? I've been traveling to all of the games with my wife, and we've been really enjoying it. This is so different from games in our home league, because the teams are so diverse! It's really a great opportunity for Camerania, and for baseball fans in general!"
EL "It's great that you've been enjoying it, Viktor, and hopefully we'll get to speak to you again soon. Folks, today begins our home series against Garifunya Dolfijnen. It will hopefully go well for us. I mean, ideally we'll win all of our series from here on out, but we'll just have to wait and see. Until next time, I've been Erik Linden."
- Looking to become more active again, feel free to hit me up with invites to general world RP regions-

- Telegram me with NS Sports RP stuff if for collab questions and what have you-

Noburu Taiyou
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Noburu Taiyou » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:24 am

Series 4 Results

Group I

Nova Anglicana Lions 100 132 110 - 9
Free Swiss States Baseball Team 000 001 100 - 2

Nova Anglicana Lions 100 120 100 - 5
Free Swiss States Baseball Team 400 001 001 - 6

Nova Anglicana Lions 100 320 010 - 7
Free Swiss States Baseball Team 104 000 000 - 5

Globus Commons 200 140 000 - 7
Bitburg Barons 101 110 010 - 5

Globus Commons 200 132 000 - 8
Bitburg Barons 100 020 000 - 3

Globus Commons 210 100 100 - 5
Bitburg Barons 031 100 01X - 6

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Globus Commons 9 6 3 66 40 +26 0.667
2 Ospira Diamonds 9 5 4 44 37 +7 0.556
3 Nova Anglicana Lions 9 5 4 63 59 +4 0.556
4 Free Swiss States Baseball Team 9 4 5 35 48 −13 0.444
5 Bitburg Barons 12 4 8 54 78 −24 0.333

Group II

Mosktopian Nationals 100 010 020 - 4
Nassau Eagles 200 020 01X - 5

Mosktopian Nationals 401 100 101 - 8
Nassau Eagles 001 011 001 - 4

Mosktopian Nationals 010 100 010 - 3
Nassau Eagles 011 000 20X - 4

Abanhfleft Revolution 102 110 004 - 9
Miley World Floyds 000 000 000 - 0

Abanhfleft Revolution 100 120 900 - 13
Miley World Floyds 102 100 140 - 9

Abanhfleft Revolution 013 211 000 - 8
Miley World Floyds 201 010 000 - 4

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Mosktopian Nationals 9 7 2 64 40 +24 0.778
2 Nassau Eagles 9 5 4 54 43 +11 0.556
3 Miley World Floyds 12 6 6 70 69 +1 0.500
4 Abanhfleft Revolution 9 4 5 64 63 +1 0.444
5 Patistan Greenbats 9 2 7 34 71 −37 0.222

Group III

Samurai Taiyou 011 001 002 - 5
Estope Nationals 500 000 004 - 9

Samurai Taiyou 000 000 320 - 5
Estope Nationals 021 101 01X - 6

Samurai Taiyou 100 102 100 - 5
Estope Nationals 000 100 101 - 3

Coconutstan Trojans 100 010 012 1 - 6
Lisander Arminhos 022 001 000 0 - 5

Coconutstan Trojans 100 110 004 - 7
Lisander Arminhos 000 002 110 - 4

Coconutstan Trojans 000 000 000 - 0
Lisander Arminhos 001 011 02X - 5

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Berk Dragons 9 7 2 57 38 +19 0.778
2 Coconutstan Trojans 9 5 4 50 54 −4 0.556
3 Samurai Taiyou 9 4 5 52 50 +2 0.444
4 Estope Nationals 9 4 5 45 46 −1 0.444
5 Lisander Arminhos 12 4 8 57 73 −16 0.333

Group IV

Super-Llamaland Tigers 100 110 100 - 4
Vangaziland Royals 102 122 20X - 10

Super-Llamaland Tigers 200 110 000 02 - 6
Vangaziland Royals 001 010 200 00 - 4

Super-Llamaland Tigers 100 300 100 - 5
Vangaziland Royals 200 000 002 - 4

Garifunya Dolfijnen 001 011 200 0 - 5
Camerania Stars 010 020 200 1 - 6

Garifunya Dolfijnen 000 021 000 - 3
Camerania Stars 110 102 01X - 6

Garifunya Dolfijnen 103 012 000 - 7
Camerania Stars 123 112 00X - 10

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Super-Llamaland Tigers 9 7 2 71 47 +24 0.778
2 Appalachian State Mountaineers 9 5 4 52 46 +6 0.556
3 Camerania Stars 12 6 6 71 77 −6 0.500
4 Vangaziland Royals 9 4 5 56 53 +3 0.444
5 Garifunya Dolfijnen 9 2 7 49 76 −27 0.222

Group V

Vettrera Wild Herd 002 040 002 - 8
Western Borderlands Breakers 100 120 000 - 4

Vettrera Wild Herd 920 210 021 - 17
Western Borderlands Breakers 020 000 110 - 4

Vettrera Wild Herd 000 112 000 1 - 5
Western Borderlands Breakers 020 100 100 0 - 4

The United Regions Capitalist 010 311 022 - 10
Britannual Dunks 100 310 000 - 5

The United Regions Capitalist 120 000 000 - 3
Britannual Dunks 000 031 10X - 5

The United Regions Capitalist 100 000 010 - 2
Britannual Dunks 000 010 002 - 3

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Vettrera Wild Herd 9 8 1 67 30 +37 0.889
2 Britannual Dunks 12 7 5 61 81 −20 0.583
3 Mamaroneck Tentay 9 5 4 48 42 +6 0.556
4 Western Borderlands Breakers 9 2 7 56 78 −22 0.222
5 The United Regions Capitalist 9 2 7 35 36 −1 0.222

Group VI

Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves 100 120 000 - 4
Guerro Sjömäns 000 001 211 - 5

Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves 101 122 010 - 8
Guerro Sjömäns 001 220 100 - 6

Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves 104 110 000 - 7
Guerro Sjömäns 000 005 010 - 6

Estenia Blue Stars 201 101 100 - 6
Coconut Isle Dwarfs 102 000 002 - 5

Estenia Blue Stars 200 160 000 - 9
Coconut Isle Dwarfs 102 010 000 - 4

Estenia Blue Stars 000 112 000 - 4
Coconut Isle Dwarfs 100 010 001 - 3

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Estenia Blue Stars 9 7 2 48 48 0 0.778
2 Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves 9 6 3 63 44 +19 0.667
3 Guerro Sjömäns 9 6 3 74 46 +28 0.667
4 Coconut Isle Dwarfs 12 4 8 60 80 −20 0.333
5 Mizuyuki Sunburst 9 1 8 36 63 −27 0.111

Group VII

Imota Sunwings 101 110 110 - 6
Murbley Chillers 001 000 030 - 4

Imota Sunwings 110 130 000 - 6
Murbley Chillers 010 030 010 - 5

Imota Sunwings 100 210 000 - 4
Murbley Chillers 001 001 03X - 5

Perinpanland Athleticos 100 211 100 - 6
Cardoan Lions 000 020 002 - 4

Perinpanland Athleticos 001 101 000 - 3
Cardoan Lions 003 001 10X - 5

Perinpanland Athleticos 010 040 000 102 - 8
Cardoan Lions 000 122 000 100 - 6

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Imota Sunwings 9 7 2 62 37 +25 0.778
2 Notsofreeland Komodo Dragons 9 6 3 42 48 −6 0.667
3 Murbley Chillers 9 5 4 60 42 +18 0.556
4 Perinpanland Athleticos 9 4 5 47 51 −4 0.444
5 Cardoan Lions 12 2 10 41 74 −33 0.167

Group VIII

New Wolfopolis Cubbies 120 511 001 - 11
Jachaelter Jack Rabbits 001 001 000 - 2

New Wolfopolis Cubbies 100 250 009 - 17
Jachaelter Jack Rabbits 000 011 100 - 3

New Wolfopolis Cubbies 221 122 000 - 10
Jachaelter Jack Rabbits 300 000 000 - 3

Taxachusetts Green Sox 120 000 101 - 5
Diegstra Knights 121 120 30X - 10

Taxachusetts Green Sox 303 010 001 - 8
Diegstra Knights 280 010 00X - 11

Taxachusetts Green Sox 201 010 010 - 5
Diegstra Knights 100 124 10X - 9

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Diegstra Knights 12 10 2 92 56 +36 0.833
2 New Wolfopolis Cubbies 9 5 4 76 48 +28 0.556
3 Vyktory Dragons 9 4 5 49 56 −7 0.444
4 Taxachusetts Green Sox 9 4 5 62 71 −9 0.444
5 Jachaelter Jack Rabbits 9 1 8 29 77 −48 0.111
Last edited by Noburu Taiyou on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now fully independent former Esportivan colony of the Federation of Free Republics

Imota
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imota » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:22 pm

The Imota Professional Baseball League (IPBL) Official Website: Your IBS 6 Headquarters!

Tepid: Sunwings Let Game Three Go, Beat Chillers in Close Series (http://ipbl.im/ibs6/news/4)

The cold clearly didn’t bother the Sunwings that much, since despite three very close games, they walked away with two of them and defended their group leader status. However, with just three games separating the top four teams (the 2-10 Cardoan Lions are basically a non-factor at this point) the group is still an open door for three unrankeds.

Game 1: Sunwings 6, Chillers 4
The Sunwings bats put a slow burn on from the start, chipping one run an inning for six of the first eight, while Sakuya Izayoi kept the cold at bay with seven innings of blazing fastballs. Wakaba Saegusa came on in the eighth with a comfortable five run margin, but an icy blast to the heart cut it to two with just one swing. Luckily, she got out of the inning with the lead still intact, and Hikaru Shidou saved it with a one-two-three-ninth.

Game 2: Sunwings 6, Chillers 5
Dominant batsmanship including solo shots by Saki Lilienthal and Kantarou Futaki put the Sunwings up 6-1 after four and a half, but Nozomi Itoshiki struggled after that, giving up three runs in the fifth and allowing the Chillers to load the bases but not cross the plate in the sixth. Ryuuichi Matoi gave a scoreless seventh, and Shinou Tsukimura gave up one in the eighth, but in the end, it again fell to a perfect ninth by Shidou to give the ‘Wings the win.

Game 3: Sunwings 4, Chillers 5
In many respects, a reprise of Game 1, with Haruki Saegusa giving up just two runs over seven innings and the Sunwings going into the bottom of the eighth with a 4-2 lead. Shinobu Tsukimura came in again to set up the save, but the cold was too much for the old man of the bullpen, and the Chillers iced a three-spot to take the lead. This sudden build-up of ice on the ‘Wings was too much, and the Chillers coldly denied the Sunwings the sweep with a perfect ninth.

Imota will end the first half of the group stage with a three game home stand against the Komodo Dragons of Notsofreeland, currently one game out of first. With just three games separating the top four teams (all playing the next series) there’s plenty of potential for movement, and the Sunwings will need to keep bringing their A-game if they don’t want to be on the wrong end of that movement.

Berk Island
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Berk Island » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:51 pm

The Dragon's Nest

Berk - The Dragons have built a two game lead over the rest of the "Group of Life" and will remain in the group lead with a road series win tomorrow. The pitching rotation will not be changed despite speculation that with the bye the ace pitcher, Tomorrow, would be starting the first game. However, what will be changing is the uniforms for the Dragons. To show support for the Costa Lunian people, the Dragons will be wearing throwback uniforms with a slight Berk flair. In Costa Luna colors, the Dragons will start a two series, six game road trip against Samurai Taiyou in a series that the Dragons hope to use as a dry run for the double elimination round that will take place after the group stage wraps up in just about a week.

New Uniforms for the Berk Dragons

Guerro
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Guerro » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Guerro takes one after brutal series.

Despite losing the series against the highest ranked team in the tournament, Guerro has nothing to be ashamed of. The Sjömäns took one game from the Bat Slaves, which is a huge accomplishment for a un-ranked team. The Sjömäns kept the series close, resulting in brutal, aggressive play that had all players walk out of the series bruised and battered. If the Sjömäns did one thing right, it was that they made sure the Bat Slaves, and anyone else in the tournament, know that Guerro is not to be taken lightly.

Game 1 at first seemed like just another blowout for the Bat Slaves, but that changed in an amazing comeback win for the Sjömäns. The first 5 innings were all Gregoryisgodistan. Bat Slaves pitcher Pervert Chaser dominated, throwing 8 strikeouts in the first 4 innings with no hits. Sjömäns pitcher Matthew Fisher, on the other hand, wasn't as hot, allowing 4 runs. In the top of the 5th, Remi Anderson finally got a hit, ruining Pervert Chasers no hitter hopes. He was eventually tagged out at 2nd, but Batting Coach Albert Venel noticed something about the hit. That was the 4th straight curveball Chaser had thrown in a row, and Venel noticed a pattern after that. The Sjömäns jumped on it, and resulted in them tying the game in the 8th inning. Fisher was replaced with Esbjörn Wallis, who kept the Bat Slaves scoreless the rest of the game. In the bottom of the 9th, it was none other then Jonathan Resen who soloed to center for a walk off win against the 1st place Gregoryisgodistan. The stadium went absolutely bonkers afterwards. The Guerran flag was waved in front of blue and orange fireworks, with a traditional Guerran victory song playing in the back ground. Since then, that scene has became a trademark of the stadium.

Game 2 was close, almost too close for the Bat Slaves. The Sjömäns played aggressive the entire game, which obviously put the Bat Slaves out of their comfort zone. It was back and forth, with the Bat Slaves scoring first, adding onto it, then the Sjömäns tying. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, the Bat Slaves put it beyond reach, but not without a cost. There were a total of 4 home plate collisions during the game, all of which were Sjömäns basically tackling the Bat Slaves catcher, Enemy Crusher Bobby Furgles. Enemy was injured with a fractured leg, and had to be replaced by Grammar Enforcement Officer OOA0010, who also took a beating, but was not injured.

Game 3 was similar to 2, but this time, the Sjömäns were 4 feet away from making another spectacular comeback win. The Bat Slaves took advantage of Nich Fergusons slow pitching speed, and took 7-0 lead in 5 innings. Bat Slaves Pitcher Technical Support Specialist A8DHH1938DH was hot, up until the 6th inning. Like Pervert Chaser, Batting Coach Albert Venel noticed a pattern with Technicals pitching, and the Sjömäns jumped on it. Guerro rallied, resulting in 5 runs in one inning. This wasn't enough to tie it, though, but with Jackson Guidos solo to left in the 8th, there was hope. In the 9th, Jarkko Queenson doubled. The next batter, Kättilfast Brown, hit a long one to left field. It was 4 feet short from being a walk off homer.

It was a heartbreak at the end, but it ultimately the Sjömäns proved that the Bat Slaves were not as invincible as most people thought. Next series will be between the Guerro Sjömäns and the Estenia Blue Stars in the Grand Derby Classic, which is sure to be one of the most exciting in the group. These two have a rival attitude to each other, and sports reports cannot decide on a favorite.
Last edited by Guerro on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berk Island
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Berk Island » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:16 pm

Report: Costa Lunian Media Reports Leader Dead after Royal Palace Explosion

"This is IBS News, now under Costa Lunian control. I'm Albert Doublenight.

We start tonight in Lake Monroe, where rebel sources have confirmed that Queen Sophia Fioré was killed in the Royal Palace Explosion this morning. However, rebel forces sustained very little in terms of casualties outside of Royal Palace. It is estimated that the rebels control about twenty percent of the entire city including the entire executive sector.

In Bayou Towne, opposing forces gained no ground on each other as the forces look to dig in for the long term. It is estimated that about one percent of the city (the harbor sector) is controlled by the rebels.

In Fioré City, rebel forces have reported that Gregoryisgodistan forces continue to sustain heavy losses having been surrounded by rebel forces moving in from the suburbs on all sides of the city. It is estimated that Gregoryisgodistan forces have lost between twenty and thirty thousand troops in the past two days. It is estimated that upwards of fifty percent of Fioré City is now under rebel control.

In an interview with IBS News, Major Joe Mason, leader of the rebels, stated, 'We look to secure Fioré City by the end of the week, which would allow us to relocate many of those troops to Bayou Towne to fortify our positions in the harbor sector. We expect that much of the fighting will be located in Bayou Towne. Securing the harbor will also help our forces be able to receive help from other nations. This is not a fight that we can win overnight, but we will continue fighting until we are free.'

This is IBS News. Good night, Costa Luna."

Garifunya
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Garifunya » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Failure is Unacceptable

Mikael Bovenkamp, Minister of Information

Translated from Creyool Garifunyaan

It has come to the attention of the government of our great nation of Garifunya that de Dolfijnen have struggled in their first international competition. We understand that they have been "swept" in their last two series, including losing a series in the Staad Nasyonal to a preposterous nation named Super-Llamaland. We would like to make it abundantly clear that failure is unacceptable and that results will improve or de Dolfijnen will face severe consequences.

We would also like to lodge a formal protest with the International Baseball Slam Committee over our recent series against Camerania. Our players were not given a moment of peace in Burgundy City, nor were they shown the courtesy expected towards honored guests. Due to a ridiculous and more-than-likely made-up event called "The Glorious People's Revolutionary Convention", all of the good hotels in the city were taken up, and the team was forced to room in a decrepit establishment called Peg-Leg Petter's Discount Motel, where the cockroaches were the size of rats. Additionally, residents of Burgundy City kept the team up all night by banging pots and pans, blowing horns, yelling, and letting off flares. Such disrespect for guests and disturbing of the peace would not be allowed in Garifunya. The Jandaamkorps would uphold the ideals of justice and the offenders would be sentenced to several years in prison.

In addition to this great offense, we have information that Cameranian officials colluded with and paid umpires to give favorable calls to the Stars team that directly led to their victory. We detest such corruption in the pure environment of international sport and call for all games to be awarded to de Dolfijnen via forfeit. If these changes are not made and Camerania not barred from the competition due to these nefarious actions, we will play the rest of the games under protest at the very least and might even withdraw from this corrupt competition.

(OOC: These events may or may not have happened. All we know for sure is that Garifunya went to Camerania and lost all three games. All statements should be considered in the context of an authoritarian government that needs to maintain its image.)
Puppet of Nova Anglicana

The State of Appalachia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The State of Appalachia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Appalachian State Mountaineers Baseball

Michael Pierson rounds third base and heads for home.

Mountaineers Suffer Fourth Loss of Season

Vangaziland's Rom Spadish drove in the winning run with an RBI double in the top of the sixth inning. Appalachian State baseball suffered its fourth defeat of the season in a 5-4 game three loss to Vangaziland on Monday night at Beaver Field at Jim and Bettie Smith Stadium. Appalachian State (5-4) fell into a 5-2 hole after six-and-a-half innings but battled back with two runs in the seventh. However, Vangaziland (3-3) held the Mountaineers scoreless for the remaining two innings. After Thurber retired Vangaziland's final two batters in the top of the ninth, the Mountaineers put the tying run on base with one out in the bottom of the frame when William Head drew a four-pitch walk. However, Preston Troutman struck out for the second out of the inning and with leadoff hitter Bradley Morton at the plate, Head was caught trying to steal his way into scoring position to end the game.

Appalachian State opened the scoring on Dillon Dobson's RBI single in the bottom of the first inning, but Vangaziland scored two times in the top of the fourth to take a 3-2 lead. Vangaziland hit only one ball out of the infield in its four-run fourth but had three infield singles during the wacky frame. Highlighted by a two-run single by Gonzalez, Appalachian answered with two runs in the bottom of the seventh only to trail 5-4.

However, Rom Spadish wound up being the difference in the game. Vangaziland's first baseman finished 4-for-5 with three RBI, including a run-scoring infield single in the fourth, the go ahead homer in the sixth. Rom Spadish 's heroics overshadowed another impressive performance by Dobson, who finished 3-for-4 with two RBIs and raised his batting average to .404 on the season. Dobson, the reigning South Conference Player of the Week, and Michael Pierson added two hits apiece for the Mountaineers. Appalachian State continues after a series four bye on a three-game awaystand this Wednesday against the third ranked Super-Llamaland Tigers. Game time is set for noon.

NOTES: The Mountaineers fell to 5-4 this season. The game two loss snapped Appalachian's five-game winning streak. New Appalachian State men's basketball head coach Jim Fox threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Fox, a former baseball player and avid fan, threw from the rubber and his delivery had plenty of steam, but was high and out of the zone. Game-time temperature was a chilly 48 degrees and the wind-chill factor dipped into the 30s as the blustery evening progressed.

Berk Island
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Berk Island » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:32 pm

From the Desk of Chief Astrid the Strong:

To Anna Kristoff, General of Berk Island Special Forces,

The Queen of Costa Luna was killed today by Gregoryisgodistan forces. Princesa Fioré must be protected at all costs. Your job is to personally protect the Princesa and continually move her around the world. She must not be found, but must still be able to address the Costa Lunian population to keep them encouraged.

Do whatever seems necessary to fulfill this task.

Astrid

Super-Llamaland
Senator

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Super-Llamaland » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:35 pm

The three-game series, the quintessence of baseball. Tournaments were great, but the long, teamwork-building grind of the regular season was why Chris Evans was in the business. And with this new, twenty-four game format, he was ready to begin a new tournament: the International Baseball Slam. A new tournament, twenty-five new players, thirty-nine other teams to contend with, and above all, newfound hope, springing eternal with no team eliminated.

It was the eve of game one, the Tigers set to take on the Dolfijnen of Garifunya. Garifunya had taken two of three from the hardy Mountaineers, and the Tigers weren't about to succumb to overconfidence against a team that wasn't that bad. With Gijs Meijnders and his ace curveball on the mound, Evans had shuffled the lineup to accomodate this:

2B Kirk
CF Peterson
RF Earnest
3B Camden
C Trabajen
SS Baxter
LF Harkless
1B LaRoi
P Rondout

The umpire called "play ball!", and Gijs Meijnders delivered a curveball strike to Alex Kirk. The IBS had begun for the Tigers. Kirk took a pair of fastballs high, a good omen as Meijnders struggled to control his fastball, and swung and missed on a low curve. The 2-2 count gave Meijnders wiggle room, and he threw a wicked 12-6 low and away for strike three. Megan Peterson came up next, slapping a 1-0 curveball into right field for a single. Jake Earnest drew a four-pitch walk as Meijnders' fastball flew wide, and in a difficult 1-2 count, Peter Camden drove a hanging curve into left, scoring Peterson. The Tigers were already up one-nothing.

AJ Rondout, meanwhile, was dominant, striking out five Dolfijnen in the first three innings. And when Jake Earnest and Peter Camden drove back-to-back fastballs into left center for RBI doubles in the fourth, it looked like Evans' concerns about Meijnders were nothing really to be concerned about. Rondout struck out the side in the bottom of the inning, and the Tigers made it four-nothing on a James LaRoi solo shot to right center. Meijnders left after the fifth with a 7.20 ERA, on the hook for a loss.

But in the bottom of the inning, it was Floryan Schoeten who tripled in Julius Thering, Rondout then walking two batters before getting out of the jam by whiffing Konraad Larruij. Jake Earnest doubled in another run in the seventh to make things five to one, and despite Rondout's vulnerability, Evans thought that Rondout could keep the Dolfijnen at bay for the rest of the game. He was wrong, with Rondout throwing a fastball without location and Dierk Bolscher staying with it for a leadoff home run to left field. Evans kept Rondout in, with the result being captain Barent Grijn going the other way for a solo shot off a high changeup. A visibly shaken A.J. Rondout managed to make it through the rest of the inning, and up only five runs to three, Evans pulled him for Bobby Fritz in the eighth, with Fritz getting the top of the order to pitch against.

Fritz's first pitch was a fastball to Floryan Schoeten, who was ready for it, singling to center field. Schoeten stole second and then third on the next two pitches, and Rico Ortwijn walked to put runners on the corners with no outs and power hitter Martin Diepman up. Evans pulled Fritz for the righty Kyle Wallace, an unconventional move but one, with Wallace's two-seamer and cutter favoring him in the matchup, he was willing to bet on.

In the heat of the moment, he wilted. Wallace's first pitch was a cutter lacking cut, and Diepman lined it down the left-field line for a two-run triple, Schoeten and Ortwijn scampering home to tie the game. James Pierce came in and got three outs, but the damage was done. It was five-five going into the ninth.

Pinch-hitter Emily Pierce came up first in the pitchers' spot in the top of the ninth inning to face Tijm Riga. In a relief role, Riga could throw his out-pitch to righties, a curveball, over and over, which he did on Pierce, setting up an oh-two count. Riga went for the unexpected, tossing a cutter, and Pierce barely reacted in time, blooping one over Schoeten's head and into shallow center for a single. Alex Kirk was up next, tapping a first-pitch cutter slow enough to allow Pierce to take second base. Megan Peterson, up next, lined a cutter without cut, eerily similar to Kyle Wallace's pitch the half-inning prior, into the right-center gap for a go-ahead double.

In the bottom of the inning, Tyler Brennaman used his two-seamer and curveball to take out the bottom of the order for Garifunya. The Tigers had taken game one, six to five. It hadn't been easy. But they had done it.

Super-Llamaland Tigers 100 210 101 - 6
Garifunya Dolfijnen 000 001 220 - 5

W - J. Pierce (1-0), L - Riga (0-1), SV - Brennaman (1)
Starters:
A.J. Rondout (SLL): 7 IP, 3 ER
Gijs Meijnders (GAR): 5 IP, 4 ER

Game two. With Kyle Francis pitching against Abraam de Bruin, things were bound to be intense. But after four doubles on seven pitches in the first inning by the entire top of the order: Kirk to left center on a high fastball, Baxter down the left-field line on a hanging curve, Earnest off the right-center wall on a fastball, Matthews banging one into left-center on a fastball. It remained three-nothing until the bottom of the third, when Kyle Francis walked the bases loaded, and rattled, hung a slider to Konraad Larruij, who smashed it 467 feet into center field, making it four-three in favor of the home side.

James LaRoi doubled in a run in the fourth to tie the game, the sixth double of the day for the Tigers, but Barent Grijn retaliated with a solo shot in the bottom of the inning, making it five to four. And that was when the madness started.

de Bruin, by now somewhat settled down, hung a curve to Kyle Francis, who slapped it the other way for a single. Alex Kirk walked on five pitches, and Aaron Baxter singled to shallow left to load the bases with nobody out, bringing up Jake Earnest. Abraam de Bruin hit him in the leg with an out-of-control curve, scoring Francis and tying the game at five. The Dolfiijnen kept de Bruin in against Trevor Matthews, who lined a double into left-center on the first pitch, clearing the bases on the eighth Llamanean double of the game. Nine-five. de Bruin finally left for a reliever, whereupon Peter Camden smashed a double, the ninth of the night, the other way, slamming it off the right-field wall to make it ten to five.

It was all over after that. Three more doubles by Camden, Peterson, and LaRoi brought in two more runs and made it twelve to six in the seventh, and a bases-clearing triple from Jake Earnest made it fifteen to eight in the top of the ninth. The Tigers finished the night with fourteen triples, possibly an IBS record, smashing the Dolfijnen in a rout.

Super-Llamaland Tigers 300 160 203 - 15
Garifunya Dolfijnen 004 101 200 - 8

W - Francis (1-0), L - de Bruin (1-1)

Kyle Francis: 5 IP, 5 ER
Abraam de Bruin: 4+ IP, 9 ER

After the rout of game two, both teams came into game three hoping for better pitching from Drew Gilson and Bastiaan Kuiper. But the Dolfijnen were not to get better pitching, the Tigers scoring runs in the first six innings and in total seven of nine. Earnest singled in Baxter in the first, followed by Peterson doubling in Camden the next inning. The trickle of runs turned into a torrent, and with one out, Kirk singled into left center. Baxter followed, singling up the middle, and Earnest drove in them both with a double off the left-field wall before Matthews hit a two-run home run. With Kuiper hooked, LaRoi hit a solo home run in the fourth and Matthews doubled in Baxter in the fifth, making it eight to four after Gilson imploded for four runs in the bottom fourth. Only up by four in a slugfest, the Tigers still didn't have the game locked down.

Megan Peterson lead off the sixth with a double to right center, LaRoi and a pinch-hitting Roger Harkless both grounded out to third, Peterson getting no chance to move up a base. Alex Kirk stepped up to the plate and singled Peterson to third, whereupon Evans sent up Troy Adrian to hit for Baxter.

It was an unconventional move, taking out Baxter's mix of power and speed. But with two outs and a runner on third, all they needed was a base hit to score, and Adrian was best in that department. In addition, Adrian could torment third basemen at will with his mix of bunting and looping pitches the other way, and Evans figured Adrian could bloop a hit and give the Tigers an extra cushion.

The pitcher was Tijm Riga, who had taken the loss in Game One. He threw a pair of curveballs in the outside strike zone, and Adrian was down in the count, 0-2.

Adrian took a fastball inside, then a fastball outside. Both were borderline strikes, but the umpire called both balls and the count was 2-2. Riga still had breathing room in the count, and threw a filthy 12-6 curve ball, Adrian helplessly flailing at it as it dropped out of the strike zone, spinning far to the right and past the reach of Dierk Bolscher and bouncing to the backstop. Adrian took off, and Bolscher's throw to first was not fast enough, loading the bases with two outs and bringing up Jake Earnest.

Riga threw a curveball in the corner, then a fastball high, making it 1-1. Earnest stared down another pair of curveballs down and in, and with the count two and two, Evans could tell that Earnest's timing was off, the mix of speed and curve messing with him. Riga came back with a fastball, Earnest barely managing to foul it off to the right. Riga then tossed a curve, flicking it effortlessly at seventy-nine miles an hour. Earnest had no choice but to swing, and smacked it as it tumbled into the dirt, lifting it off the ground - a beautiful work of hitting - as it landed softly in center field. Peterson came home, then Kirk. Riga had pitched flawlessly, but Margaret bit back, and the Tigers were up ten to four.

Riga was taken out of the game; Matthews stepped up to the plate. The first pitch from Garifunya was a fastball inside, and Matthews pulled a line drive, landing six inches fair down the left-field line and rolling all the way to the wall. Adrian and Earnest came home, Matthews sliding into second with a double. Twelve to four. It was, once again, a rout. Camden finished with a two-run home run to right-center, a booming, 430-foot blast off a hanging breaking ball. The Tigers were up by nine, and with a run each for the rest of the game, that was how it would stay: fourteen to five.

Super-Llamaland Tigers 114 115 010 - 14
Garifunya Dolfijnen 000 401 000 - 5

W - Gilson (1-0), L - Kuiper (1-1), SV - Wallace (1)*

Drew Gilson - 5 IP, 4 ER
Bastiaan Kuiper - 3 IP, 6 ER

*Pitched the final three innings.

Thirty-five runs in three games. They'd given up eighteen runs to the Garifunyans, hardly a good number and an indication that the pitching had to improve, but the offensive torrent had been amazing, with almost twelve runs a game and a combined twenty-nine in the final two contests. It was a good sign, and Evans wondered if this team too had what it took to make it through effortlessly and still come out on top.

Things were looking up.
Last edited by Super-Llamaland on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Eighth Llamanean Republic
Capital: New Llama City, Population: ~56,000,000
5x World Baseball Classic champion (28, 30, 31, 40, 42)
Yue Zhou • Savigliane

Globus
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Globus » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Commons go 2-1 against Barons, maintain 1st in group

SS Erich Moore dives to catch the ball in game 1

The Globus Commons (6-3) outscored the Bitburg Barons (4-8) in a 2-1 series, and maintain their rank as number one in Group I and are up 26 points in all combined games. The games were closer than thought by many, but Globus still managed to easily defeat the Barons in the first 2 games, and losing by 1 point in the third game.

Game 1 was a tense one, with both teams tied at 4 points in the 4th inning. The Barons scored 1 in the fifth inning first, and Globus was having slight difficulty taking bases. Dennis Harvey relieved that stress when he hit a two-homer, with Peter Davis on 1st base. Later than inning, Kenneth Basile and David Boeding ran across home plate. For the rest of the game only 1 score was made by either team; which was the Barons in the eighth inning. The Commons won 7-5.

Game 2 was a lot less tense, and more dominated by the Commons. Globus lead by 3 in the 4th inning. In the 5th inning, the Barons hit a two-homer which decreased Globus' lead to one. The last batter of the inning, Erich Moore crushed the Barons morale when he hit a three-homer. The 6th inning saw 2 point scored by Globus, and no more points thereafter. The Commons won 8-3.

Game 3 was the the Barons time to avenge themselves, of which they did. The game was evenly matched, and no home runs were batted. A more agile Baron defence lead to the Commons defeat at 5-6.

Next series, the Commons take on the Free Swiss States. Most experts and fans alike agree that this will be other great series for the Commons, as the Free Swiss States are ranked fourth in group I at 4-5. The next two series will take place back here in Globus, at the Olson Field in Lowell. Fans are excited to welcome the team back and are eager to watch the next 2 series here at home. Tickets for the remaining 9 home games have been sold out already.

Estenia
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estenia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Flawless against the Dwarfs

Estenian Blue Stars won their first flawless series, on their return after the bye. Hey were of course readier than ever as they had more energy than the Coconut Isle Dwarfs who were playing 4 games in a row. Estenians won with the scores of 6-5, 9-4 and 4-3. Our Estenians Blue Stars are in the first place of their group but I don't know for how long. We have the dangers called Guerro Sjömäns and Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves. Let's see the other Atlas Teams. On our group, Guerro Sjömäns played against Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves. They won with 4-5 and lost to 8-6 and 7-6. Let's go on Group V where The United Regions Capitalists played against Britannual Dunks where they won with 10-5 but lost to 3-5 and 2-3. Group IV now. Vangaziland Royals played against Super-Llamaland Tigers where they won with 4-10 and lost to 6-4 and 5-4. Group I now, another Jewel of Atlas conquering their group is Globus Commons where they played against Bitburg Barons where they won with 7-5 and 8-3 and lost to 5-6. Let's return on our group and our opponent Coconut Isle Dwarfs. Coconut Isle Dwarfs are a relatively new team on the tournament like us, they haven't proved that they deserve to Qualify yet. Our next opponent is against Guerro Sjömäns, another Jewel of Atlas.
Runner-up at the 1st OMAHAN FUTSAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, 4th at Maple Leaf Bowl III, 4th on Baptism of Fire 57, 2nd at Runner Cup 4, 3rd at 21st World Lacrosse Championships.

88% Libertatrian
72% Conservative
63% Liberal

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:32 am

MUSINGS OF AN ARMORED DINNER JACKET
Official blog of Ibrahim Ahmadinejad, Right Fielder of the Verbergerkinnh Cubs and the Abanhfleft Revolution

WTF! WE JUST SWEPT THE FLOYDS!

The Revolution celebrates the first of three wins against the MIley World Floyds.

Yes, dear followers and readers, you just read that right: we just swept the Miley World Floyds in the third series of the International Baseball Slam.

Yes, I know it's unbelievable! And while I'd like to think that my previous blog has motivated us enough to come out on top in this series, frankly I don't think that's the truth. The Floyds were favorites (at least my personal favorites) to win this particular series, but since the Revolution was out of the tourney anyway, we came and went all out in our play against the Floyds.

The first game, pictured above, was an absolute blowout. We shut out the Floyds while making 9 runs of our own. I've gotta give credit to Ollie McKrinter of Cubs rivals the Pilken Blue Sox, for denying the Floyds in this first game right on our own turf. The second game was probably one of the Revolution's highest-scoring matches against any opponent ever. 13 runs to 9... I don't think I've ever seen a similar result in the Major League! 13 and 9 runs for a total of 22 runs in game... Damn, son!

The final game against the Floyds was a, well, more conventional baseball match. 8 runs to 4 is a more believable result, and kudos to the great J. K. B. "Jake" Ziegler for devastating the Floyds' offense and keeping them shifty and nervous with his wicked curveballs and fastballs. These three consecutives Ws took us out of that embarrassing bottom of the group and up to fourth place. We're too far gone to even make it out of the group stages now, but if we play the next series like the way we played this series, we could even end up in a good third place.

Anyway, that's the end of my musings. The Armored Dinner Jacket says ciao, peace. See you in the next post.
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Camerania
Envoy

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Camerania » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 am

EL "Hello, and welcome, I'm Erik Larson, for the Baseball Report on the Cameranian Sports Network. Today we come to you after Camerania's wonderful series sweep against Garifunya. The Stars made a great showing for our home crowds, making fools of the team from Garifunya, though their government has recently done that itself; earlier, the Garifunyan government issued a statement alleging that our government did many terrible things, including refusing satisfactory lodging, and bribing umpires. I, along with all of you who actually live here, can be certain that none of those allegations are true, but rather the desperate cries if totalitarians who are frightened by the values of unity and equality experienced in this republic. As well as being afraid of free government, they also seem to neglect the notion that unsatisfactory lodgings, if that were the case, should be the least of their worries, as I'm sure the unconscionable conditions many of their people are often forced to live in, due to their government's list for power, and disregard for its citizens. We here in Camerania would be glad to have the team back any time, as it was certainly a welcome respite from life in Garifunya. Moving on now, though. In our next series whick will be after series five, in which we have a bye, we face Vangaziland, which should go as well as last time. With the way things are going, we should be headi NH toward a pretty good spot for later on in the Slam. Until next time, I'm Erik Larson."
(OOC: don't mean any offense meant personally to the user who controls Garifunya, just responding ICly)
- Looking to become more active again, feel free to hit me up with invites to general world RP regions-

- Telegram me with NS Sports RP stuff if for collab questions and what have you-

Noburu Taiyou
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Noburu Taiyou » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:21 am

Series 5 Results

Group I

Free Swiss States Baseball Team 131 041 000 000 03 - 13
Globus Commons 302 131 000 000 00 - 10

Free Swiss States Baseball Team 000 000 000 - 0
Globus Commons 230 131 20X - 12

Free Swiss States Baseball Team 202 201 001 - 8
Globus Commons 100 131 100 - 7

Ospira Diamonds 100 011 000 - 3
Nova Anglicana Lions 100 310 00X - 5

Ospira Diamonds 000 122 121 - 9
Nova Anglicana Lions 100 120 011 - 6

Ospira Diamonds 000 001 100 - 2
Nova Anglicana Lions 100 312 00X - 7

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Nova Anglicana Lions 12 7 5 81 73 +8 0.583
2 Globus Commons 12 7 5 95 61 +34 0.583
3 Ospira Diamonds 12 6 6 58 55 +3 0.500
4 Free Swiss States Baseball Team 12 6 6 56 77 −21 0.500
5 Bitburg Barons 12 4 8 54 78 −24 0.333

Group II

Nassau Eagles 100 201 000 - 4
Abanhfleft Revolution 118 011 00X - 12

Nassau Eagles 000 000 310 - 4
Abanhfleft Revolution 102 420 00X - 9

Nassau Eagles 100 000 000 - 1
Abanhfleft Revolution 103 120 12X - 10

Patistan Greenbats 020 010 000 - 3
Mosktopian Nationals 200 122 00X - 7

Patistan Greenbats 001 000 200 - 3
Mosktopian Nationals 110 123 10X - 9

Patistan Greenbats 000 004 320 - 9
Mosktopian Nationals 002 021 221 - 10

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Mosktopian Nationals 12 10 2 90 55 +35 0.833
2 Abanhfleft Revolution 12 7 5 95 72 +23 0.583
3 Miley World Floyds 12 6 6 70 69 +1 0.500
4 Nassau Eagles 12 5 7 63 74 −11 0.417
5 Patistan Greenbats 12 2 10 49 97 −48 0.167

Group III

Estope Nationals 000 010 022 - 5
Coconutstan Trojans 010 100 001 - 3

Estope Nationals 001 010 000 - 2
Coconutstan Trojans 200 025 11X - 11

Estope Nationals 000 110 001 - 3
Coconutstan Trojans 000 000 100 - 1

Berk Dragons 120 111 101 - 8
Samurai Taiyou 101 110 000 - 4

Berk Dragons 200 110 000 - 4
Samurai Taiyou 001 002 02X - 5

Berk Dragons 100 220 000 - 5
Samurai Taiyou 001 010 301 - 6

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Berk Dragons 12 8 4 74 53 +21 0.667
2 Estope Nationals 12 6 6 55 61 −6 0.500
3 Coconutstan Trojans 12 6 6 65 64 +1 0.500
4 Samurai Taiyou 12 6 6 67 67 0 0.500
5 Lisander Arminhos 12 4 8 57 73 −16 0.333

Group IV

Vangaziland Royals 070 003 000 - 10
Garifunya Dolfijnen 111 111 010 - 7

Vangaziland Royals 100 100 100 - 3
Garifunya Dolfijnen 101 311 30X - 10

Vangaziland Royals 212 001 000 - 6
Garifunya Dolfijnen 131 410 20X - 12

Appalachian State Mountaineers 100 000 000 - 1
Super-Llamaland Tigers 305 111 00X - 11

Appalachian State Mountaineers 200 200 000 - 4
Super-Llamaland Tigers 111 121 01X - 8

Appalachian State Mountaineers 000 005 000 - 5
Super-Llamaland Tigers 200 111 003 - 8

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Super-Llamaland Tigers 12 10 2 98 57 +41 0.833
2 Camerania Stars 12 6 6 71 77 −6 0.500
3 Vangaziland Royals 12 5 7 75 82 −7 0.417
4 Appalachian State Mountaineers 12 5 7 62 73 −11 0.417
5 Garifunya Dolfijnen 12 4 8 78 95 −17 0.333

Group V

Western Borderlands Breakers 101 000 000 - 2
The United Regions Capitalist 200 000 10X - 3

Western Borderlands Breakers 020 002 002 - 6
The United Regions Capitalist 001 103 000 - 5

Western Borderlands Breakers 100 000 102 0 - 4
The United Regions Capitalist 000 201 100 4 - 8

Mamaroneck Tentay 200 000 003 - 5
Vettrera Wild Herd 101 313 00X - 9

Mamaroneck Tentay 000 201 040 - 7
Vettrera Wild Herd 001 236 01X - 13

Mamaroneck Tentay 001 002 010 - 4
Vettrera Wild Herd 111 102 00X - 6

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Vettrera Wild Herd 12 11 1 95 46 +49 0.917
2 Britannual Dunks 12 7 5 61 81 −20 0.583
3 Mamaroneck Tentay 12 5 7 64 70 −6 0.417
4 The United Regions Capitalist 12 4 8 51 48 +3 0.333
5 Western Borderlands Breakers 12 3 9 68 94 −26 0.250

Group VI

Guerro Sjömäns 200 210 010 - 6
Estenia Blue Stars 102 001 201 - 7

Guerro Sjömäns 100 111 300 - 7
Estenia Blue Stars 100 113 102 - 9

Guerro Sjömäns 100 110 000 - 3
Estenia Blue Stars 103 020 11X - 8

Mizuyuki Sunburst 000 110 020 - 4
Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves 201 110 00X - 5

Mizuyuki Sunburst 000 000 000 - 0
Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves 101 130 00X - 6

Mizuyuki Sunburst 000 000 000 - 0
Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves 104 111 00X - 8

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Estenia Blue Stars 12 10 2 72 64 +8 0.833
2 Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves 12 9 3 82 48 +34 0.750
3 Guerro Sjömäns 12 6 6 90 70 +20 0.500
4 Coconut Isle Dwarfs 12 4 8 60 80 −20 0.333
5 Mizuyuki Sunburst 12 1 11 40 82 −42 0.083

Group VII

Murbley Chillers 100 300 101 000 - 6
Perinpanland Athleticos 100 000 500 001 - 7

Murbley Chillers 300 110 000 - 5
Perinpanland Athleticos 011 201 10X - 6

Murbley Chillers 000 020 000 - 2
Perinpanland Athleticos 110 001 00X - 3

Notsofreeland Komodo Dragons 030 010 001 - 5
Imota Sunwings 101 312 00X - 8

Notsofreeland Komodo Dragons 030 000 001 - 4
Imota Sunwings 100 110 000 - 3

Notsofreeland Komodo Dragons 120 104 010 - 9
Imota Sunwings 501 334 00X - 16

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Imota Sunwings 12 9 3 89 55 +34 0.750
2 Perinpanland Athleticos 12 7 5 63 64 −1 0.583
3 Notsofreeland Komodo Dragons 12 7 5 60 75 −15 0.583
4 Murbley Chillers 12 5 7 73 58 +15 0.417
5 Cardoan Lions 12 2 10 41 74 −33 0.167

Group VIII

Jachaelter Jack Rabbits 101 100 000 - 3
Taxachusetts Green Sox 020 110 00X - 4

Jachaelter Jack Rabbits 000 011 000 - 2
Taxachusetts Green Sox 200 100 00X - 3

Jachaelter Jack Rabbits 012 150 100 - 10
Taxachusetts Green Sox 101 100 000 - 3

Vyktory Dragons 120 000 200 - 5
New Wolfopolis Cubbies 222 111 10X - 10

Vyktory Dragons 000 001 000 - 1
New Wolfopolis Cubbies 400 130 00X - 8

Vyktory Dragons 000 030 000 - 3
New Wolfopolis Cubbies 400 210 00X - 7

Pld W L RF RA RD Win %
1 Diegstra Knights 12 10 2 92 56 +36 0.833
2 New Wolfopolis Cubbies 12 8 4 101 57 +44 0.667
3 Taxachusetts Green Sox 12 6 6 72 86 −14 0.500
4 Vyktory Dragons 12 4 8 58 81 −23 0.333
5 Jachaelter Jack Rabbits 12 2 10 44 87 −43 0.167
Last edited by Noburu Taiyou on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now fully independent former Esportivan colony of the Federation of Free Republics

Estenia
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estenia » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:11 am

Estenians Continue Flawless and in the the Grand Derby of Atlas Baseball

Estenian Players Celbrating over the win with 3-8 against Guerro

Estenian Blue Stars won the Grand Derby of Atlas against Guerro, with the scores of 6-7, 7-9 and 3-8. Our players proved that they are superior from the very first game after some difficulties, they beaten up Guerro. Estenian remained first after the flawless, wins and made Guerro fall on the 3rd place and after the flawless wins of Gregoryisgodistan Bat Slaves against Mizuyuki Sunburst. After the midway point, Estenian Blue Stars is first on their group with 10 wins and 2 Losses, followed by Gregoryisgodistan with 9 wins and 3 losses and followed by Guerro with 6 wins and 6 losses, followed by Coconut Isle Dwarfs with 4 wins and 8 losses, followed by last placed Mizuyuki with 1 Win and 11 losses. On the midway point Estenian Blue Stars and Globus Commons are the favourites of Atlas. The next game is against Mizuyuki Sunburst.
Runner-up at the 1st OMAHAN FUTSAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, 4th at Maple Leaf Bowl III, 4th on Baptism of Fire 57, 2nd at Runner Cup 4, 3rd at 21st World Lacrosse Championships.

88% Libertatrian
72% Conservative
63% Liberal

Berk Island
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Berk Island » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:52 pm

The Dragon's Nest

Samurai Taiyou - Despite Berk dropping two out of three games, the Dragons still have a two game lead at the half way point. Tomorrow's starting pitcher, Tomorrow, is not worried, "we have a strong team and we are a force to be reckoned with. Coming into the International Baseball Slam, the group was nicknamed the "Group of Life" for a reason. The group was up for grabs and the team started off right."

Berk will be on the road against Coconutstan tomorrow.
Last edited by Berk Island on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Berk Island
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Berk Island » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 pm

"This is IBS News. I am Albert Doublenight.

Tonight's top story: Fioré City fifty percent secure. It is estimated that Gregoryisgodistan will be pushed out of the city by the weekend. Major Mason has given a proposal to Gregoryisgodistan, "leave Fioré City to the Costa Lunians or we will take from you." After three days of fighting, Costa Lunian rebels have estimated that Gregoryisgodistan has lost about fourty thousand troops in Fioré City.

This is IBS News. Good night."

Perinpanland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Perinpanland » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:36 pm

!Perinpan Sports Network!

Cameras pan to three men sitting on an oval desk with. On the right is the Sporting Analyst Brett Jumar. In the middle is retired coach for the Cablar Red Hawks, during their prime years, Doug Spalding. And lastly, dashing Baseball Informant Roy Balding

Mr. Jumar Good evening, and welcome to PSN! International Baseball Slam edition! What may be surprising to many has been seen in Perinpanland. After a slow start, Perinpanland has not only defeated the Murbley Chillers but has swept them!

Mr. Balding Here are some highlights of the streak played right here at Puerto Floyt Stadium!

Game 1
Mr. Jumar Image. The games start with a moment of silence for those who have lost their lives in the deadly Nethrezite Earthquake.

Pat Grajib was given another chance to start off the series at his home stadium. The audience reception is almost defeaning. Overall the game seemed pretty even until the top of the fourth when a fatal fastball allowed Ed Lumbor of the Chillers to score a 3-run home run making it, at the time, a 4-1 game. Another Puerto Floyt Falcon player was used in the end of the 6th inning, Adam Watson. By the 7th inning Watson allowed 1 run whereas, the Chiller's Matt Damien allowed the Athletico players to run circles around them. This put Perinpanland in the lead 6-5. All was going swell until the dramatic Hollywood play the Chillers had pulled off. By the top of the ninth, with the Chillers down by 1, the lone Dingle McCringleberry scored a homerun with 2 outs, 2 strikes and 3 balls on the board. Tying up the game and prolonging it. At the beginning of the 11th a standing ovation as given to Watson as he was relieved for Madison Centabes. Who had finished the deal with the game ending with our own hollywood ending. More like a "Devine Intervention". Devine at third. His teammate at bat. 1 out. Batista hits a groundball right past first base. Batista was tagged out and the ball was throw to homebase where Devine slides to it making him safe. Image
Truly a dramatic play resulting in Perinpanland's first win.

Mr. Spalding: Unlike the last game, this one was really even. As the Chillers scored, so did Perinpanland. Cruz and Troy both scored in first and second respectfully. This was followed by a 2-run homerun hit by Alex Reyes with Jones on base. By the top of the fifth inning both teams switched pitchers. Granton Sheriff's rookie Wu Crato pitched an amazing game following the fifth. No run were scored by the CHillers. Perinpanland squeaked by with a run by Cruz and one by Butler that resulted by an error on second base. The end results we Perinpanland 6 - Chillers 5

Mr. Balding Lastly in the season in a rather boring and average game in Perinpanland. The audience had already been cheering from already winning the series and the party continued throughout the game. Crato played a full game only allowing one 2-run homerun in the fifth. Perinpanland's Cruz, Batista and Troy has scored runs making the end result 2-3. Perinpanland wins the series.

Mr. Jumar So, whattya think?

Mr.Balding: I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but all threee of these games were too close to call. All were wins by 1. Our lineup really needs to clean up a bit on the sides.

Mr. Spalding: No kidding, what I believe Gibbons needs to work on is the bullpen. We need consistent good pitchers to win us games. Perinpanland's hitting coach is amazing and as a result with a few more training days, the hitting will be perfect.

Mr. Jumar: Well, thankfully, Perinpanland's next series will be at home in Birchton Nationals Field. Notsofreeland will have to travel from Imota to Perinpanland whereas Perinpanland will be at home to receive more training.

Mr. Balding: Well here is the lineup:

C #39 Melvin Stones
1B #24 Miguel Cruz
OF #23 Andrew Jones
3B #9 David Devine
SS #2 Derek Troy
OF #19 Carlos Batista
2B #79 Jose Castro
OF #10 Adam Gomez
DH #25 Alex Reyes

Pitchers:
LHP #11 Wu Crato
RHP #50 Adam Watson
LHP #56 Greg Dutch
RHP #56 Mark Chapman

Mr. Jumar: Seems like Perinpanland will be playing a bit more defensively with a solid lineup to get more players on bases to score more runs collectively or through home runs that score more then once. That's all from us now! We'll see you tomorrow at the beginning of the series between Perinpanland and Notsofreeland!
    [5]Its Chill
    [4]We're watching now!
    [3]We're arming our forces and cleaning our tanks!!
    [2]BAM!!!! BAM!!! We're at war!!!
    [1]NUCLEAR WAR AND THE USAGE OF WMD is now being involved

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports