NATION

PASSWORD

Cornellian Cup 2014 (Cornellian Empire only)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Schottia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:26 am

Results

Group A
Adiron 0 - 0 Gylias
Gannon Park, Soessch

L'Ossienne 3 - 3 TECT
Lammerton City Ground, Lammerton

Ri'en 2 - 1 Jedoria
City of Port James Stadium, Port James

Group B
Arbites 1 - 0 New Edom
Ashley Road, New Belfast

Dassallia 1 - 1 San Lucifero
Dyerton, Handon

Schottia 5 - 0 Alizeria
Harbour Hill Stadium, Handon

Group A
Name          P  W  D  L  F  A  GD  P
Gylias 3 2 1 0 7 2 +5 7
Shalum 2 2 0 0 4 2 +2 6
Adiron 2 1 1 0 1 0 +1 4
L'Ossienne 3 1 1 1 7 7 0 4
Ri'en 3 1 0 2 4 5 -1 3
TECT 2 0 1 1 3 4 -1 1
Jedoria 3 0 0 3 3 9 -6 0

Group B
Name            P  W  D  L  F  A  GD  P
Schottia 3 2 0 1 6 1 +5 6
Arbites 2 2 0 0 2 0 +2 6
Wielkilas 2 1 1 0 4 3 +1 4
Dassallia 3 1 1 1 2 4 -2 4
New Edom 3 1 0 2 3 2 +1 3
San Lucifero 2 0 1 1 4 5 -1 1
Alizeria 3 0 1 2 0 6 -6 1

L Ossienne
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ossienne » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:56 am

Later.
Last edited by L Ossienne on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Gannon Park Stadium
Soessch, Schottia

Lei liked to win, Team Manager Drescher knew that. Sometimes, though, you had to take the good with the bad. The Orcas did everything right, really. In the first match they got a bit sloppy, but since the team was aware of how good the Gylian team was this year, they doubled down and made a determined effort to fight them off. This time they played solidly the whole game, and they deserved credit where credit was due for that. Lei's negative reinforcement wasn't the ticket here, so Drescher was going in to play good cop.

The manager headed Lei off at the pass, preempting his usual vitriol. The team was winding down, it had been a tough game, but they managed to control the damage. "Guys, we just shut out Gylias. Put things in perspective: nobody else has been able to concede less than three goals to them. We did everything right, good work from all the centers throwing a monkey wrench into those attacks, good work on defense staying loose and keeping up with them, and Townsend, needless to say, nice save."

The goalkeep grinned a bit. Chin got himself a yellow card in the second half on a foul, slide-tackling Hana Matsuri in anticipation of a pass . He jumped the gun, though, and because he tackled her just a bit before the pass connected, Gylias got a direct free kick. Mizushima then managed to curve the ball around the Adiran wall, sending a shot heading straight for the goal. Townsend, however, jumped on it, even anticipating the ball's curving trajectory. If it hadn't been for him, Gylias would have won the game.

"Remember, every player on the Gylian team is good, very good, individually. With a bit of teamwork and good strategy, though, we shut them down. They haven't run away with the Cup yet, thanks to us," Drescher continued, trying to continue his pep talk.

"Now, some things to work on. Jiang, I think you need to pay more attention to your off the ball. A couple of times, they left themselves open, but you were locked down behind their defense. You need to be available," Drescher explained calmly. The striker nodded in response.

"Hall, you did what you could, but I think you might have been a bit overeager," Drescher explained to the pensive-looking center forward. Hall missed two goal opportunities, one in each half. The first bounced off a goalpost, the shot seemingly taken in haste without him really setting it up. The second he took from long range in minute 85, and the Gylian goalkeep caught it.

"Chin, what happened there?" Drescher finally asked.

"Thought she had it," the center-back replied, failing to make eye contact with the manager.

"Listen, I know it was hairy the whole game, but it's times like those we can't afford to give points away. You know that, I know you do," Drescher replied.

"How can they be this good when they don't even have a real formation? They're just running all over the place!" Chin replied bitterly, his pride wounded.

"Maybe you should ask them yourself, they've invited all of you to go out drinking with them," Drescher replied. About half the team perked up. "Just remember, they've got the next match off. You all have practice tomorrow and a match the next day. It's good that you kept up with them on the field, but try not to keep up with them at the bar."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Ashley Road
New Belfast, Schottia

The Arbiter-Edomite match resembled a sort of trench warfare. Both sides were playing by attrition, hoping to wear the other out and then score in the second half. The Arbiter team, however, was just a bit fresher thanks to their day off. The Wall stuck to the Padan Powerhouse like glue, aware of his reputation and position as target man. Arbiter center backs ran the Edomite forwards to exhaustion, never relenting once in their efforts to upset passes.

Griffin and Wright repeatedly blindsided the Edomite wingers and strikers; in the second half they set up their team's lone goal by wresting possession from Smith and connecting a pass forward. After a bit of back-and-forth, Carter took possession and bulldozed his way through the increasingly weary Edomite defense. However, rather than taking a risky shot, Carter feinted a kick before deftly making a short pass to Swain. Swain then drove the ball home, and the Arbiter team locked down their defense for the remaining ten minutes of the game.

It was hard to be intimidated by the Edomites, who were playing in what was to the Arbiter team such a vulnerable state. Here they were, exposed to all the world, while the Imperium's representatives were fighting for all they were worth. Father Ross had thought to protest the Edomites' lack of a proper uniform, but the Church had made clear that he was not to offend their allies' sensibilities as the situation in South Damoclea continued to deteriorate.

The team itself, through Father Ross, also was under instructions to be on good behavior with the Edomites. With the Edomite team having only recently been reformed following the civil war, they had an uphill battle. It hadn't been so long ago that the Imperium was in the exact same position. After the teams slapped hands (or whatever the Edomite equivalent was), the Arbiter team saluted Coach Imlah, and Coach Alexander invited the Edomites to dinner on their tab.

In bars and public screenings back in the Imperium, Imperial football fans were not so restrained. The entire Edomite team was pixelated from the waist to the knees. Though you could read their numbers, in some cases it was nearly impossible to discern the Edomites' footwork, leaving viewers to speculate what might have been used instead. Upon victory, audiences denounced the heathens and shouted praises to the Emperor. Allies or no, they had won.
Last edited by Arbites on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who stands with me shall be my brother

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Ashley Road
New Belfast, Schottia

Tactical. That was how it was with the Arbites team. Their tactics were impressive, it was a constant deployment of ruthless offense that finally wore out the Griffons by the second half.
Imlah was furious with Cleopas and substituted him out in the second half for trying to dribble his way through the Arbiter midfield alone. “This is not a one man show, wonderboy! Get the fuck outta there!” he roared, throwing his hat down. “Damn it to Hell!”

Imlah was almost apoplectic. “Get in there you sons of bitches, can’t you see Smith’s ass hanging in the breeze? I sure can…get that fuckin’ camera out of my face you asshole! I’m trying to coach here! Damn it, damn it, damn it!” he said, shaking his fist, crunching his hat in his rocklike fist.
The Arbiters seemed to have a cold calculating logic. What the New Macs were reputed to be like but smehow never were—they weighed things in action. Imlah, looking at this, wondered what he could do with such players. The Arbiters were clearly prepared to work hard just to get one goal.
The worn out team bowed to their defeaters. They slapped hands, they accepted the offer to dinner graciously. Imlah, once the game was done, thnked Coach Alexander and congratulated him. He was if anything a good soldier, he had always done his duty.

“There are four more matches, four more…you all played well but not well enough. It is not enough that you are good players. You have to be a great team.” Dr. Josiah Alexander said in the locker room later. “Four more before the semi-finals. Let’s win some. I urge you all: study this game. Prepare your minds. If any hath no stomach for this fight—let him depart. Right? Band of brothers, people, you all know the speech…”
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Bye bye.
Last edited by Wielkilas on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gylias
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gylias » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Port James, Schottia
The day after the Gylias-Ri'en match

Bhaksa Terneshyk slowly crept open the door to Sarna Dyrvedz's room slightly, and peeked her head inside. Standing close by and embracing her from behind was her sister Mared, holding her hands onto Bhaksa's shoulders and her head right to the left of her sister's.

Having allowed Bhaksa enough of a respite to peek in Sarna's room, Mared moved her head closer to Bhaksa's left ear, and whispered, "Well?"

Bhaksa turned her head around to face her sister, with a goofy grin. "Sarna's still asleep.", she whispered in response.

"Awright!", Mared whispered as she closed her eyes for a moment with a triumphant smile and made a fist pump with her right hand. She then opened her palm and thrust it towards Bhaksa, stopping at the very last moment before contact and then gently touching Bhaksa's hand for a high-five.

Bhaksa giggled, and looked fondly into Mared's eyes before quickly pecking the tip of her nose. "You really do enjoy the silence, don't you?", she teased quietly.

Mared responded by pointing towards her sister with both index fingers. "Haha, better not get me started with those, sis.", she whispered, running her fingers through Bhaksa's long hair. "You know I can keep 'em rolling all day."

Bhaksa closed her eyes for a moment and smiled at the senation of Mared playing with her hair, before slyly smiling and whispering, "And you also know that I can keep up with your rolling, sillybone." She stuck her tongue out for a second, and then the two shared a quiet, affectionate chuckle.

The Terneshyk sisters then slowly tip-toed into Sarna's room, using large steps and holding both their hands stretched out in a way that lent them a certain resemblance to airplanes on legs. As they got closer to Sarna's bed, they alternated between looking at her and checking for sudden movements, sweat dripping down their foreheads, and looking at each other with knowing smiles, as if they had developed the ability to telepathically communicate with incredibly subtle facial expressions. (Which they had. They were siblings, after all.)

As they both assumed positions on opposite side of the bed, they looked down at Sarna, sleeping soundly and turning over mildly from her side to her back. They then looked at each other, stifling very silent giggles, and gave each others thumbs up with broad grins. They then both nodded simultaneously, three times, and then jumped into the bed.

Suddenly awakened from her sleep, Sarna blinked a few times, and then lifted her head slightly and glanced downwards. She saw Bhaksa and Mared, lying on her left and right, with their eyes closed and their heads resting on their hands, pretending to sleep with angelic smiles.

Sarna smiled warmly and reached out with her hands, rubbing the sisters' heads and rumpling their hair. "Come on, sleepyheads.", she cooed. "Is this any way to audition for the Wake Up, Girls! now?"

Bhaksa and Mared laughed as they opened their eyes and moved closer, embracing Sarna on both sides of her stomach. "So, our plan to contribute to your good morning has succeeded, Sarna?", Bhaksa asked, with an innocent grin.

"Yes, beyond your wildest dreams, hehe.", Sarna replied, brushing her hand against Bhaksa's chin. "In fact, you could say it was..." She looked upwards for a moment, placing her other hand's index finger against her cheek for the thoughtful look, before flashing a mischievous smile and adding deadpan, "... super effective."

All three laughed, and a comfortable silence settled on the conversation as the Terneshyk siblings hugged Sarna, holding their heads against her stomach, and Sarna continued to pat their heads gently. Eventually, Bhaksa broke the silence by innocently stating, "By the way, Sarna, we had something to ask you..."

"Oh?"

Mared lifted her head from Sarna's stomach and nodded enthusiastically. "Mm-hmm! I wanna switch with Bhaksa for the next match! I can be the goalkeeper, so they can play in the field too!"

Sarna cracked a mischievous smile as she raised her finger to her lips thoughtfully. "Hmm... I don't know...", she said, playfully elongating her words.

"Pretty please?", Mared asked, clinging to Sarna more tightly.

"Hmm... Still not sure..."

Both sisters then looked at her and asked, "Pleeeeeeeease?", in a very high-pitched way.

Sarna chuckled. "Of course you can! You know I can't resist the puppy dog eyes and cute pout, haha!"

Bhaksa and Mared squeed "Yaaaaaaay!" with delight, and then moved up to the same level as Sarna's head, continuing to hug her from both sides and kissing her cheeks. "You're the best coach ever, Sarna!"

Smiling, Sarna drew Bhaksa and Mared as close as she could with her hands. "And I'm lucky to have the best team of friends I could wish for." She glanced at them and added teasingly, "Especially such lovely players who know exactly how to touch dear old Sarna's sweet spot."

Stifling a giggle, Bhaksa added light-heartedly, "Can we also skip training today entirely, please?"

Sarna laughed, and gently poked the tip of Bhaksa's nose with her index finger with a broad smile. "Don't push it, honey."

Bhaksa responded by grinning with her eyes closed, giggling softly and then pulling herself even closer to Sarna, resting her head on Sarna's shoulder.

Sarna exhaled happily and continued to hold the two sisters close and affectionately play with their hair. Just as she predicted, today was the most enjoyable day.

Highlights of Céleste Bonheur's commentary from the Gylias-Adiron match

Warm-up
It's another town, one more show today, friends, as you're joining us in beautiful Soessch for the friendly between Gylias and Adiron. We've already had two fun matches so far, and I have no doubt that this one will deliver yet more great football and entertainment, for all the people watching, either in the stadium today or at home, no doubt with good lovely company. The Adirans are taking to the pitch first...

05:59
...Ryan Jiang continues to hold onto the ball after dribbling past Arevik and Navan, and is still advancing into the Gylian half of the field, heading down the field. It seems like they is looking for opportunities to pass, as they is quite distant from the penalty spot, and Tzane is closing in fast... Ryan Jiang attempts to pass, but Tzane slides in front and takes control of the ball. Tzane then passes to Dietmar... and Dietmar passes to Bhaksa in the centre circle...

11:03
...Harold Davis gets in the way of a one-two pass meant for Panagiotakis. They makes a rather long pass from near the centre circle... and it seems the pass was too long. We can see Rubinho and Ralph Green sprinting to catch up at the front, but the ball passes over them entirely, bounces in the Gylian penalty area and is easily caught by Mared. Mared makes a long pass towards the upper area of the field, meant for Naomi... but it seems their pass is too long as well, as the ball flies out of the field entirely. The Adirans will get a throw-in...

Rubinho Rodrigues took a moment to gather his breath. He then laughed, and gave Ralph Green a friendly shoulder-poke. "Hehe, you know, this kinda reminds me of, er, that trope? Y'know, the one where two people get so caught up in racing after something, a completely different third person gets there first?"

"That's a pretty common trope for those kinds of scenarios, don't you think?", he added before Ralph Green dashed off to another part of the field again. He continued, thinking out loud to himself, "It makes a pretty amusing joke, I'll admit... maybe that's why it's that common... yesh, that is usually how tropes become clichés, right..."

18:16
...And Tom Hall receives a pass from Ken Nguyen, and shoots... but it bounces off the goalpost. Ralph Green runs ahead and attempts to header it into the goal, but misses and the ball goes off the pitch instead. Mared will restart the game with a kick-off. Interestingly enough, my friends, this is actually the first shot towards the goal we've seen so far in the match. I hadn't realised it had already been nearly 20 minutes of mainly tussling for possession around the centre...

24:30
...A successful pass, right there, from Mared directly to Navan on the edge of the half-way line. Navan tries to make an overhead pass, towards the Adiran penalty area... but the ball is headered by Cory Rodriguez. However, Panagiotakis places themself in the trajectory and takes control as the ball lands. Panagiotakis passes to Bhaksa. Bhaksa shoots... and the ball bounces off Santiago Lowe's legs. Hana takes over the stray ball first. Hana shoots... and misses the goal...

38:49
...Naomi attempts to slide-tackle the ball away from Art Sung. Art Sung easily jumps over Naomi, but Naomi manages to kick the ball past the touchline. There will be a throw-in for the Adirans...

42:05
...Rob Brooks receives the throw-in, but Rubinho attempts a slide-tackle and succeeds in kicking the ball away... past the touchline. There will be another throw-in for the Adirans...

45:00
...Ryan Jiang headers the ball upwards from that volley, and shoots. Mared leaps to the left, and punches the ball away, over the touchline. The Adirans receive a corner kick... and the referee's whistle signals the end of the first half. My, that was some brilliant playing we've seen today, my friends, on both sides. It's wonderful to know both teams are dedicated to the goal of giving us such great entertainment, and that they put on such a good match for all of us to see. I can only anticipate what the second half will have in store for us...

46:30
...Arda gives us a dynamic entry into the field by sliding in front of Santiago Lowe and prying the ball away, then quickly diving after it and stopping it before it crosses the touchline. Haha, you have to admit, based on the way Arda held themself up by their hand and grabbed the ball with the edge of their feet, it looked rather like they was doing a 6-step there, wouldn't you say?...

Arda Shanrek giggled enthusiastically as she ran with the ball she'd taken, not managing to keep a straight face at all as she laugh-exclaimed, "Ain't nobody can step to these fresh moves, y'all!"

Hana Matsuri, close by, slowed her pace and cupped her hands to her mouth like a megaphone, yelling, "Your MCing skills still need work, Arda!"

Arda laughed again, and replied jokingly, "Did you just call moi... wack?" She tilted her head and added in a sing-songy voice, "I know someone who's not getting the next paaaaaasssssssss~"

Hana began to sprint closer to Arda, giggling. "Don't make me have to tackle you! Hahahahahaha!"

The two shared a good laugh.

58:18
...Panagiotakis lifts the ball into the air with their left leg, it seems they're setting up for a long pass. They kick the ball... right into Rob Brooks' head? Oh, no... I hope Rob Brooks is alright... It seems that either Panagiotakis misjudged the trajectory of the pass, or did not notice Rob Brooks from their peripheral vision until the last moment... or both of these at once... <sighs with relief> And it seems everything is fine, no signs of injury or anything else with Rob Brooks. Just an unfortunate accident...

Panagiotakis Xanthopoulos reflexively slapped his cheeks with his hands in shock, seeing Rob Brooks yelling "ARGH!" and bending downwards inadvertently while continuing to run. He quickly ran up to Rob and tugged on his arm, and the two slowed to a halt for a second. "Argh, fuck me, are you alright, my friend? Are you okay? I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to do that! I'm sorry, please tell me you're fine! You're not hurt, are you?"

Rubbing his forehead, Rob Brooks shrugged. "It's fine, it's fine... don't worry about it, these things do happen on the pitch every now and then."

"Well, that's a relief, I was worried I might've hurt you! I'm really sorry about that.", Panagiotakis said.

60:30
...Closing in on the Adiran penalty area, Arevik takes a shot before the Adiran defender catches up to they... a rather poorly-thought out shot, from the looks of it. The ball is easily caught by Kurt Townsend, who makes a long pa- Arevik's friends gather around they for a second, they look concerned... it seems that Arevik is getting fatigued, apparently... I'm told there is a concern that Arevik may be at risk of heat exhaustion from the temperature on the field today. They will be taking it easier, and at the soonest available opportunity when the ball is not in play, Sarna will make a decision about substituting they...

81:54
...Nar is trying to evade Cory Rodriguez, and barely manages to edge ahead still in control of the ball. Nar kicks a long pass towards the penalty area. Hana moves themself into position to receive the pass... and they is slide-tackled? By Ed Chin?... Oh no... is everything alright? Please tell us everything is alright... Phew, it seems so. Hana is fine, they sustained a slight fall from Ed Chin's slide-tackle, but nothing serious, they have confirmed that they are still in good shape to play. The referee however has just yellow-carded Ed Chin, for tackling Hana before the pass connected. Naomi will be taking the direct free kick... Naomi shoots a curve around the Adiran wall, but Kurt Townsend saves...

85:16
...Tom Hall attempts a long range shot from right outside the penalty area, but it is saved by Mared. Mared stands still for a moment, surveying the pitch, and throws the ball to Adna instead of attempting another long pass. Adna then makes a short pass to Navan...

90:00
...The ball strays further into the Adiran side of the pitch as both teams' players either position themselves or rush after the ball. It's down to Harold Davis and Tzane. Tzane edges ahead, and reaches the ball first, runs into the penalty area and shoots. Kurt Townsend dives, and saves with their hand, but the ball bounces upwards. A scramble ensues as both the goalkeeper and several players on both sides rush for the penalty spot before the ball touches down again. Rob Brooks seems to catch it with their knee, but Bhaksa is far too close to they, so the two lose control and the ball bounces past the goal line... There seems to be some confusion about who controlled it, but the referee announces a corner kick for Gylias. Hana will take the kick... Hana shoots... and the pass fails to connect due to the Adiran defense...

Full-time
...You cannot deny that was a delightful match, absolutely enjoyable, and the players all looked like they were having a blast, it was so fun. Thank you for being with us today, my friends. Until next time, I'm your humble host, Céleste Bonheur, bringing you only the facts of the match, as they happen, and I look forward to seeing you all again very soon. <Céleste winks playfully and blows a kiss into the microphone>

Match statistics

Goals scored

Fouls
Adiron
Ed Chin (81:54)

Starting lineup
Mared Terneshyk (goalkeeper)
Hana Matsuri
Bhaksa Terneshyk
Hurik Davidyan
Arevik Moushian
Navan Dzíorny
Naomi Mizushima
Panagiotakis Xanthopoulos
Rubinho Rodrigues
Tzane Leuthej
Dietmar Enns

Substitutions
Dietmar Enns > Arda Shanrek (45:00)
Hurik Davidyan > Adna Acsir (45:00)
Arevik Moushian > Nar Enylesh (62:38)

Possession
Gylias 46%
Adiron 54%
Last edited by Gylias on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schottia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:13 am

Harbour hill, Handon

The terraces of Harbour hill echoed, not for the first time during the game, with mildly offensive sheep related chants. It had been an easier game than the fans and players had expected and the Schottic team were in complete control now as they stroked the ball from side to side, stretching the play left and right. Avelione, on the ball now, went on another mazey run, throwing in a few step-overs, forcing the Alizerian defender stumble this way and that.

---

It was already 4-0 but there was still time to give the fans something else to cheer about. Two goals in the first ten minutes, from Schwartz and Donaldson respectively, had pretty much put the game beyond any doubt. A third goal had been scored on the stroke of halftime, when Killanen had latched on to a Corsie pass had just been the icing on the cake for the home crowd.

In the second half substitute Paul Coine had been unlucky to see his twenty-five yard drive turned wide by the keeper. However, the resulting corner was flicked in by Avelione, to make it four; the winger rising highest to nod hope from six yards out.

---

Now Gaston Avelione had the chance to seal a memorably win, and keep Pascal Viotle safe in his job for the time being. Reaching the by-line he cut back creating some space and stroked the ball into the path of the on running Killanen who slotted the ball home, his second of the game, for a 5-0 win.

Barry Hogarth's round-up.

Match day three, which initially promised so much, with two top encounters ended up a bit of a damp squib, as they produced one goal between them. It's a result that, in the end, tells us very little about the final outcome of the groups.

Adrion did what no one else had managed this year, and that was to stop Gylias from scoring. Although in failing to do so themselves, were unable to capitalise fully. However both sides, still unbeaten will fancy their chances of progressing. Their group A opponents L'Ossienne and TECT, by contrast, treated us to a six goal thriller, but both teams would have found the win more useful, as they look to chase down the leaders. Ri'en's 2-1 win over Jedoria also helps to keep the group wide open. Shalum have two wins out of two, but some might say, are yet to really be tested and will have to raise their game today against L'Ossienne to keep their 100% record.

In Group B Arbites encounter with New Edom yielded slightly better, Tom Swain's goal enough to see the Cetians hold out for a 1-0 win in what was a notably cagey game. The result will leave Arbites in confident mood, and the Edomites knowing they can't afford another slip if they are to make the semi-finals. Elsewhere Schottia completed an impressive 5-0 rout of Alizeria to go provisionally top of the table, although others do have games in hand over them. A draw for Dassalia against San Lucifero saw them leapfrog New Edom, who beat them so convincingly in the opening game. This fascinating group still has five teams who could go through.

Group A
L'Ossienne 5 - 1 Shalum

Adiron 3 - 0 Jedoria
Allen Dixon Arena, Marionville

Ri'en 2 - 1 TECT
Ashley Road, New Belfast

Group B
Wielkilas 3 - 3 Dassallia
Gannon Park, Soessch

Arbites 2 - 0 Alizeria
Dryerton, Handon

San Lucifero 2 - 4 Schottia

Group A
Gylias 3 2 1 0 7 2 +5 7
Adiron 3 2 1 0 4 0 +4 7
L'Ossienne 4 2 1 1 12 8 +4 7
Ri'en 4 2 0 2 6 6 0 6
Shalum 3 2 0 1 5 7 -2 6
TECT 3 0 1 2 4 5 -1 1
Jedoria 4 0 0 4 3 12 -9 0

Group B
Schottia 4 3 0 1 9 3 +6 9
Arbites 3 3 0 0 4 0 +4 9
Wielkilas 3 1 2 0 7 6 +1 5
Dassallia 4 1 2 1 5 7 -2 5
New Edom 3 1 0 2 3 2 +1 3
San Lucifero 3 0 1 2 6 9 -1 1
Alizeria 4 0 1 3 0 8 -8 1

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:06 am

New Laconia Times

Sports

Cornellian Cup: Adiron 3-0 Jedoria

Marionville, Schottia- The Orcas' third match is over, with a comfortable 3-0 victory against Jedoria. This match represents the first truly decisive victory Adiron has scored in the Cup this year. Three matches in, Adiron enjoyed a narrow 1-0 victory over Ri'en and have been the only team so far to withstand the onslaught by Cup-favorite Gylias, stalemating them in a 0-0 draw.

Today marks the apparent return of Ryan Jiang to form, who scored two of Adiron's goals. Viewers have commented online that Jiang appeared off his game in the first two matches, failing to make any goals in spite of his reputation as a surgical striker. Speculation remains about a possible sprain sustained just two weeks before the Cup; since the striker normally relies on his seeming ambidexterity to keep defenders guessing, football fans were worried he wouldn't be effective.

Those fears may have been laid to rest today. In the 32nd minute, overwhelmed by Jedorian defenders, center forward Hall saw Jiang surge forward in support of his attack. Hall connected a pass to Jiang, who drove the attack home for Adiron's first goal. Later, right at the end of the first half, center-fielder Sung saw Jiang appear in an opening and managed to connect a long pass. Before the Jedorian defense converged on him, anticipating him to press the attack home, Jiang launched a risky shot from well outside the box. The Jedorian goalkeep read the shot correctly, but misjudged its distance. As he dove for the ball, it landed short of his arm and bounced over him into the goal.

The game's third goal was scored in the 75th minute by midfielder Harold Davis. With both Jiang and Hall marked by the Jedorian defenders after the first half, Davis instead advanced up the field supported by Nguyen and Green. Jedoria seemed to expect Davis to attempt to pass, since they were slow to react as the three of them kept advancing up the field. Davis made it as far as the Jedorian penalty area before taking the shot, which bounced off the goalkeep's foot to give Adiron its third goal.

Other highlights included:

- An almost-certain goal for Jedoria in the 15th minute being blocked by a header from Brooks. Upon replay, it's clear that a long shot from Jedoria had a serious curve on it, one which would have sneaked past Townsend's outstretched hand if it had gotten that far. The Adiran center-back seemed to leap about five feet in the air to intercept the ball himself.

- Potential Jedorian goal in the 56th minute bouncing off the crossbar, followed by Adiron taking possession.

- Jedorian interception of an Adiran throw-in nearly results in goal in the 87th minute, but shoots wide.

- Yellow card for offsides on Adiron in minute 65, transferring possession to Jedoria.

- Yellow card on Jedoria for foul on the center line at minute 79, kick results in a scramble.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:14 am

Imlah always did his own work out and warm up without the team before hand. He had to concentrate, but he wanted to always be able to at least do the exercises.

Sometmes he felt like an old man, watching them. They stretched out their feet to their palms, they did squats, they did bends, they did toe touches; they oiled their joints and muscles. He kept them on a good protein rich high energy diet. Like superb young animals full of strength.

Everyone almost competed to be on time for the practice. Punctuality was key—you don’t show up on time, you aren’t even considered for the startup.

His eye swept over them keenly. Equipment (such as they wore) in good trim, in good shape. Being a soldier all his adult life made this easy. Most men and women were grown up children, needed leadership however talented and tough they might be.

He took the time to have a a word with each of them. “Is your ankle still sore?” “We’re going to work on passing with you today.” “Let’s focus on some sprinting once we’re past the routine.”

“Maholon, let’s lead some drills. Off you go.”

He watched him set an easy jog pace. Jogging, Backwards, Side-to-Side shuffle to the left, to the right, Hit outstretched hands with the knees, Kicking open hands (behind the back) with the heels, bend down touch the ground with the left hand, with the right hand, then with both hands. .The simple stuff. Like routinely cleaning your rifle, like making sure you did calisthenics and marches between action deployments.
He blew his whistle. “Alright, Griffons, are you ready to run?” he shouted.

“SIR, YES SIR!”

He felt the glow. They were good boys. “Then follow me!” he roared, and they set off, feet pounding, the rush of adrenaline. A charge down the practice field, arms flying, hearts pounding.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:57 pm

Dryerton
Handon, Schottia

Two goals by Carter and Swain, another shut out. It was their third win, with no losses. The team was bringing honor to the Imperium and glory to the Emperor, and the fans back home were triumphant in their victories. Although the vast majority of Imperial subjects couldn't afford a television of their own, there were public viewings in bars, cafes, and even some workplaces which allowed football fans to keep track of their team in the Cup. Coverage was interspersed with the stories behind each member of the team, how their faith and hard work led them to prosper.

There still was no pleasing some people though.

"No, mother, I told you, the team manager is a priest. There isn't any debauchery on his watch," Coach Alexander was explaining.

He heard a snort from the other end of the phone. "What sort of priest leaves his congregation for a frivolous foreign sports event? I hear Chottia is a socialist den of sin," his mother harped, badly mispronouncing the word Schottia. The woman couldn't find the country on a map, but she had been too busy raising a household of seven to bother with anything resembling an education.

"The team is his congregation while he's away. He's not going to let our national team's matters of faith go unanswered at a critical time. Yesterday he gave a sermon--"

"Unanswered? Careful of blasphemy boy," his mother cut him off, "If your team of hooligans spent a bit more time in prayer and a bit less time kicking a ball around and sinning, you wouldn't have anything to worry about. The Emperor protects."

Massaging the bridge of his nose, Alexander could feel a headache coming on. All he could muster was "Of course, mother."

"Your father, Emperor watch over him, may have encouraged you, but you will need to stop playing games one day. Make some real money."

"Yes, mother." Never mind that he couldn't actually play the game anymore with most of the toes on his left foot mangled by shrapnel. Never mind that he'd been sending money home to support his mother, who believed a woman shouldn't work, and his brother who was still in seminary. Never mind he was making more money here than slaving away in a factory.

He was subjected to more of a mother's criticism and worry for a few more minutes. Are you eating right? Not spending too much? Stay away from drink and loose women. Get your ass to church every weekend. One thing that had stopped, though, was her trying to pressure him into re-enlisting. He knew why, and also why she was in such a foul mood. Rob was killed in Arcologia. Although a good career track in theory, military life carried the inherent danger of being shot. Alexander had tried to warn his brother, and his mother. He had the evidence to prove it. Neither would back down though, his mother encouraging Rob to serve the Emperor and challenging his own faith. Now she knew.
He who stands with me shall be my brother

Schottia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:03 am

Outskirts of Handon, Schottia

It was the first day of the high council's summer parliamentary recess, and the councilors had a couple of weeks off before getting down the hard work of election campaigning. Jan Connell was sitting at the end of the bar reading a newspaper, somewhere the summer sun, and for that the outside world couldn't reach. If the pub could be summed up in one word it would be "nondescript." Built on to the end of a quiet residential street, it had no windows and one heavy red door. There was no name sign of any sort, and had it not been for the large light-up "L" bolted to the side of the wall there would be nothing to identify the place as a pub at all.

The L stood for Lammerton Lager, a pint of which, Connell was now happily finishing while he flicked through the sports pages of his paper. Inside it was a similar story, light grey painted walls and worn though maroon carpets, giving the place an air of being simultaneously un-precious, yet not un-cared for. The only other inhabitants were two old men who were sat in the corner, playing dominoes, while keeping a half eye on the horse racing, which played quietly on a tv mounted to the wall above the fruit machine. The barman, Kieth Lord, (and that's all the pub was ever referred to, Lord's) was leaning against the back wall of the bar looking out of the door into the bright afternoon sun.

'So have been following much of the football Jan?' He asked Connell, breaking the silence that had stretched on a long time. Lord was a tall skinny man in his 50's, with medium length, combed back white hair, and glasses.

'Aye' answered Connell before taking a glug of his pint, reducing it to dregs. 'I was at the Arbites game, load of crap like, I watched the other games on the tele, they played well against New Edom I thought.' Connell placed four pounds down on the bar, and indicated with his glass he would like another.

'Nae bother buddy. Aye, I just though with you being council leader you'd have been at the most of them.' Asked Lord starting to pour the next pint.

'I get an invite, but I don't usually bother. I just send one of the junior councilors instead. Och I just can't be bothered with it these days.'

'What did you think of the San what-o-ya-call-em game?'

'San Lucifero? Good, yeah, Avelione played really well, two good goals.' Replied Connell optimistically. 'Schwartz and Coine took their goals well too, I watched it in the house though, less folk to bother me.'

'Is that lassy still at you to stop smoking?' He asked placing down the fresh pint and lifting the money the bar, 'Cheers Jan.'

'Who? Munro? Christ Aye, she got me booked in for a bloody hair cut this afternoon too.' Answered Connell getting a little exasperated. 'She's been all over me like fly on s$!t these last couple of months.'

'That's a good analogy' joked Lord as he put the money in the till, both men sharing in a laugh.

'Been any busier with the football on Keith?' Asked Jan closing his paper and stuffing it in his jacket pocket.

'Ach, a wee bit. We don't really get many people passing through though. There was one night there was night we had a couple of lassies in but a can't remember where they said they were from; could have been Adiron. They didn't stay long though, it was a Saturday and Geordie was pissed as a fart.' Both men raised their eyebrows in understanding.

Connell got up and excused himself, heading outside for a cigarette. The sun outside was strong, it was already twenty-five degrees and summer was well on its way. Connell could feel himself starting to relax after what was a long year in politics. A lot had happened in the last year; by-election victories and defeats, good polling and not so good pollings, now he had the Cornellian Cup here as well. At least he had a couple of weeks to himself now, he thought leaning back against the wall inhaling deeply. This probably wasn't going to be the most glorious victory his party had ever seen, but he was sure they would to enough to get over the line. Sixteen years in politics, and four years from retirement, the script wrote itself. He just needed one more push over the line.

Results

Group A
Jedoria 0 - 1 Gylias

Ri'en 0 - 0 Shalum

Adiron 7 - 2 TECT
Dukes Street, Handon

Group B
Alizeria 0 - 3 New Edom
Gannon Park, Soessch

Schottia 0 - 1 Wielkilas

Arbites 2 - 0 San Lucifero
Ashley Road, New Belfast

Group A
Adiron 4 3 1 0 11 2 +9 10
Gylias 4 3 1 0 8 2 +6 10
L'Ossienne 4 2 1 1 12 8 +4 7
Ri'en 5 2 1 2 6 6 0 7
Shalum 4 2 1 1 5 7 -2 7
TECT 4 0 1 3 6 12 -13 1
Jedoria 5 0 0 5 3 13 -10 0

Group B
Arbites 4 3 0 0 6 0 +6 12
Schottia 5 3 0 2 9 4 +5 9
Wielkilas 4 2 2 0 8 6 +2 8
New Edom 4 2 0 2 6 2 +4 6
Dassallia 4 1 2 1 5 7 -2 5
San Lucifero 4 0 1 3 6 11 -5 1
Alizeria 5 0 1 3 0 11 -11 1

Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Jedorian Team Fucking Sucks, Report finds

The Silver Rock, Jedoria's Finest News Source

A new report published by the Cornellian Cup Review Organization has confirmed that the Jedorian Association Football team fucking sucks. Based on their aggregate inability to score goals, prevent from being scored on, and regularly being shut out and embarrassed on the international stage, the report concluded that the entirety of the Jedorian team, from the coaches, the players, and the training staff are all a god damn disgrace.

"Frankly, we've never seen failure on such a magnitude." Said Lead Researcher William Jensan. "In fact, I don't think there's another football team in the region, nay, the world, that could even compare to the massive amounts of disappointment being emanated from the Jedorian team." Referencing such humiliating defeats such as the utter offensive failure against Gylias and L'Ossiene, the failure to close games against Rien and Shalum, yes, fucking Shalum for Christ's sake, and the general lack of any spark on either side of the field has left many researchers wondering if the sheer power of all the suckiness could possibly become so dense as to rip a whole through the fabric of space and time, dooming the entire world because the Jedorian team are fucking losers.

"Obviously, we're disappointed in ourselves." Said the piece of shit who calls himself a coach. "We've really let the fans down, and our nation." Continued the man who deserves to have his skull caved in with a fucking shovel. The dipshit went on to say that the team will have to regroup and find out why they suck huge balls in everything they do.

Sources confirmed that the cunts are dead the moment they step foot back inside Jedoria.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:29 pm

THE FINEBERG TIMES

Sports Report: Griffons Flock Back: 3-0 vs. Alizeria!

by Tim Stanton

GANON PARK, Soessch, Schottia— Daniel Cleopas, finally put into play, perhaps motivated by the long and exhausting ultimately losing match against Arbites scored twice and created a third that was confirmed by goal-line passing—proving that he can be a good team player after all--as New Edom beat Alizeria 3-0 Sunday in its first Cornellian Cup match.

The dominant win was a relief for New Edom, which lost its last two matches to Schottia and Arbites, arguably two of the best teams competing in the Cup.

“Winning 3-0 at a regional Cup isn’t easy,” Coach Imlah said. “The players have done me and the country proud. They’re like the sons I never had.”

New Edom dominated the match from the opening whistle, despite a series of scrappy tackles by the Alizerian team seeking its first Cornellian Cup match win.

Cleopas’s first goal came from the penalty spot just before halftime after Michael Pabadakis was sent off with his second yellow card for charging into the back of one of the Alizerian midfielders. The young striker calmly slotted the ball to the left of the Center Defense to give the Griffons a deserved lead going into the break.

With their team down to 10 men, New Edom continued to dominate and Cleopas created the second goal in the 48th minute. The young striker going to his knees and raising his arms to the Heavens confirms the spiritual humility of this up and coming football star player.

Joseph Mahlon latched onto a long ball by Gideon Clemens and his shot hit the post and came back across goal before the Alizerian keeper managed at the last second to kick a long shot to his own midfield. However the Alizerians were quickly dominated by a passing combo by Josiah Levi and Cleopas.

Joseph Mahlon scored the final goal in the 72nd, firing in powerfully from inside the area after a long range shot was blocked.

“It’s my first Cornellian Cup—our first--!-- and I think we’re all satisfied with the result,” Cleopas said. “It was important to win this match.”

Griffons’ keeper Reuben Ephrathites didn’t have to touch the ball until the 31 minute and didn’t have to make a save all night.

What is in store for the Griffons now?

“Up against Wielkilas, we’ll have our work cut out for us,” said Imlah. “We won’t let up on the training. We’re going to work on our tactics and be as ready as we can be, God willing.”

The New Edomite players were respectful towards the Alizerians, standing politely for their national anthem and shaking hands as per Western Cornellian custom after the match, and inviting them to a meal afterwards.

Imlah felt nervous now--they were catching up, but they only had two matches left. They had to win the next two--they just had to. He made sure the medic looked them all over top to bottom, warned them against drinking and fornication over the next day, get an early night after a good dinner, relaxing showers and massages, make sure they were in top form for tomorrow's practice.

"The President called me," Dr. Josiah Alexander said, "To inform you that he felt you played a great match. He is sorry he cannot be there for the Cup, as you know our country is as usual facing many crises, but he said that you have been playing in the best traditions of the sport at home, bringing it to the Region. He is proud of you."

Their eyes shone as they heard this. He continued, "The Queen herself will be here on Thursday--as you probably have heard, she and the Grand Duchess of Wielkilas are friends, so they'll probably be sharing a box. Be on top form. No pissing contests this time. Remember--bright eyed and feathers up for the practice tomorrow. Same drill as before. God defend the right. Now get showered and ready for dinner you bastards, and be nice to the sheep huggers!"

"Shouldn't we not call them 'sheep huggers'?" asked Pabadakis.

"Hey, it's nothing to what the Coach usually calls them," snickered Josiah Levi. Laughing, the young men, slapping each other's shoulders, flicking with towels, jostling, talking about whatever came to mind, hit the showers.

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Bye bye.
Last edited by Wielkilas on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

L Ossienne
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby L Ossienne » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Later.
Last edited by L Ossienne on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Dim Summit Tavern
Tau City, Adiron

Commoners held a special kind of ire in Tau City. During the Civil War, Tau City was the Empire's base of operations. The military kept the city running, built facilities for its own purposes, spared a few light rations for the people, and pulled the strings of various warlords, Triads, and other factions. Through them, they effectively controlled western Ceti until the Adir Mountain Council, Adiron's predecessor, forced them to withdraw.

That was all a history lesson now. Civil War veterans still held personal grudges against the Empire of Common Territories, and the Commoners' activities in Damoclea, New Othman, and Gavinium Magnus made some Adirans wonder if they had actually learned anything from Ceti. The passage of time, Commoner ambivalence, and more immediate security concerns, however, had softened the hostility between the two nations from bitter animosity to mutual distrust and dislike. They were even playing each other in football now, which was more than could be said for the Imperium.

Football fans at the Dim Summit were electrified by Adiron's overwhelming victory. A group of university students populated one of the tables in the back as the 90th minute set in, universally clad in jeans and t-shirts or tank tops. Dan, a stocky athletic type, returned with a tray of beers and a couple of mixed drinks, proclaiming "Seven and two, fucking owned."

Daisy, blonde hair tied loosely and clad in a t-shirt and jeans, seemed fairly unimpressed. "Everybody knows Commoners can't play football for shit anyway though."

"They think it's a communist plot, I'm pretty sure," Kirk piped up, reaching across the entire table to retrieve his beer. "Anything that's not filled with anabolic steroids and slower than death isn't a real sport to them."

"Thought they played hockey?" Josh asked, his arm around Lisa's waist and clearly disinterested in most of what was going on.

"Rest of the world plays it? We don't need them FOREIGN ideas!" Lisa yelled in a mock-Commoner accent, ignoring the last thing said.

"Finally got some striking in," Dan commented.

"Right? One-zero against Ri'en, way down in the Antarctic? The fuck was that?" Kirk chimed in.

"They still won," Josh interjected.

"They were all over the place, didn't you see the match?" Kirk retorted.

"Must have...missed that one," Josh replied, somewhat hesitantly.

Dan seemed to know he was missing something. "Well, did you see the one against Gylias?"

"Uh..."

"Come on, you didn't see that one either? It was a draw? Tense the whole time because they're the Cup favorite so far? Nothing?" Kirk asked.

"No," Josh said flatly.

"Did you see any of the games?" Dan pressed.

"No."

"Where you been, under a rock?" Daisy asked bluntly.

"It's just a game! I've got work and I've got exams coming up at the end of summer term," Josh tried to explain.

"We ALL have exams coming up!" Lisa said, turning to face him.

"Yeah, and if I study while everybody else is watching football, the curve might get me the A I need in calc!" The discussion then quickly sidelined into a series of complaints about classes, workloads, and eventually topics completely unrelated to the game.

Schottia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:06 am

Round up from previous games...

Match day five brought us a little closer to finding out who will be qualifying from the groups, with a feast of goals in the Cornellian cup.

In Group A Adiron leapfrogged Gylias on goal difference after the 7-2 demolition of TECT. The result may have not come as too much of a shock, but the score line certainly would have; as Adiron proved once again why they are one of the best teams in the region.

There wasn't too much else to shout about in group A, with Ri'en and Shalum playing out a bore, 0-0 draw, and Gylias scraping by 1-0 against a stubborn Jedorian side. With L'Ossienne having a rest day there was really little else to mention. L'Ossienne will be hoping they can do enough to win their next game against Ri'en or this group could be as good as over. However, having recovered well from their shock 4-0 opening day defeat to Gylias, they look more like the team who had been one of the pre tournament favourites.

Group A is proving to be a fascinating encounter with four teams very much in the mix. Hosts Schottia, stumbled for the second time this tournament, with a 1-0 defeat to Wielkilas. In a reasonably tight game, a good goal from louis Blèriot was enough to give Wielkilas the victory.

New Edom got back to winning ways, a commanding performance from Daniel Cleopas was more than enough for Alzaria, who sit rock bottom of the table. Finally group leaders Arbites, once again, did what they do best: that's not conceding any goals. They were just too strong for San Lucifero, as they virtually walked to a 2-0 victory, leaving them in a very strong position. For the other three contenders, Schottia, Wielkilas and New Edom, it will be an anxious wait, as they will all be hoping the other teams will slip up.

------------------------------------

Schott-bet have the tournament odds so far at:

Adiron 6/4
Gylias 2/1
Arbites 2/1
Schottia 4/1
New Edom 6/1
Wielkilas 6/1
L'Ossienne 9/1
Ri'en 16/1
Shalum 20/1

--------------------------------------------------------

Results

Group A
Ri'en 0 - 1 L'Ossienne

TECT 1 - 2 Gylias
Dryerton, Handon

Adiron 3 - 1 Shalum
Dukes Street, Handon
This match was re scored in agreement with both players

Group B
Schottia 2 - 0 Dassallia
Gannon Park, Soessch

New Edom 2 - 0 San Lucifero
Allen Dixon Arena, Marionville

Arbites 0 - 0 Wielkilas
Ashley Road, New Belfast

Group A
Adiron 5 4 1 0 14 3 +9 13
Gylias 5 4 1 0 10 3 +7 13
L'Ossienne 5 3 1 1 13 8 +5 10
Ri'en 6 2 1 3 6 7 -1 7
Shalum 5 2 1 2 6 8 -4 7
TECT 5 0 1 4 7 14 -14 1
Jedoria 5 0 0 5 3 13 -10 0

Group B
Arbites 5 4 1 0 6 0 +6 13 Arbites are Group B winners
Schottia 6 4 0 2 11 4 +7 12
New Edom 5 3 0 2 8 2 +6 9
Wielkilas 5 2 3 0 8 6 +2 9
Dassallia 5 1 2 2 5 9 -4 5
San Lucifero 5 0 1 4 6 13 -7 1
Alizeria 5 0 1 3 0 11 -11 1
Last edited by Schottia on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Pre-Game

Stephanie Von Beck, the young reporter from NENN, felt out of her depth. The truth was that she had had to fill in for the other two sports journalists with the network, one of whom was in the end of her last trimester, the other had taken a unexpected leave of absence. When she had arrived she had spent almost 36 hours watching videos and reading “Football for Retards” published by the Ministry of Culture.

She had been advised by the editor for Culture and Sports, Max Harding, that she was to do personal interviews as much as possible. That was how she got scorched verbally by Coach Imlah, who frightened her a bit. As a middle class Anglo-German girl from Etruria Majora, she was used to shouting in the streets sometimes but the tough veteran was a bit much for her.

She had bought a nice blue and white sundress and high heeled sandals, which she could easily remove or put on, and had done her hair in a loose ponytail. So it was easy enough to go into the locker area without offending any of the stricter Edenists.

While she wasn’t much of a serious sports fan, she was used to locker rooms as any Edomite, and she could hear water running and steam was coming from the direction of the showers. Most of the team were putting on their shoes and kneepads, but Cleopas was just finishing, rubbing his hair with a towel. He had a lean wiry body she admired. His legs looked so strong up close it was shocking, he made her think of a well muscled racehorse.

”No fans right now,” he snapped irritably.

”My name is Stephanie Von Beck, and I’m with NENN—“

"No reporters! Name of the Almighty! This is the locker room! Now get your rump out of here.” A couple of other players, Smith and Pabadakis, laughed nearby and went back to talking about the San Lucifero match.

Stephanie blinked and then managed not to glare. “Look, I’m sorry I surprised you, but you must have seen me talking to Coach Imlah a couple of days ago—“

”I did. So what?” Cleopas said.

”Well just a few questions?” she managed a winsome smile, and he frowned at her, and said, “Alright, fine, but you have five minutes, that’s it.”

She considered her otes. "I know you are a striker. What is so important about that position, and how badly will it affect them that you are out now?"

Cleopas rolled his eyes. “Really? Are you really a sports reporter?”

”I…” she felt dismayed, her stomach dropped, and she could barely meet his glaring eyes. “I just had to replace the other two who might have been here, I don’t know anything about football. I read about it on the plane.”

"A striker is part of the forward and is responsible for scoring goals. My job is to control the pace of the ball and also help support the midfield’s defense."

"So what will it take to win to the semi-finals?” she asked, looking at the notes on her phone.

”We’ll have to win another match,” he said, grinning at her. She felt her face go red.

Stephane took a deep breath. "How does your family feel about your success? Are they proud of you and how popular you are back home?"

”I won’t talk about my family, it’s no one’s business,” said Cleopas, looking displeased. “If people would like to know my family they can come to our house and call like decent people. I don’t gossip, lady.”

At that moment there was a hullabaloo—Coach Imlah had arrived. “Cleopas what the hell—are you doing an interview, you shit bird?”

“Hey, she ambushed me Coach—“

“Then the response is no interviews without team leadership permission, you stupid fuck! Get the hell out of here!” Imlah roared at Stephanie.

“Coach, that’s not fair, she wasn’t trying to be…you know, she was just—“

“Just what?” Imlah shouted, rounding on Cleopas, while Stephanie, taking advantage of his distraction fled. Cleopas shrugged, he couldn’t really think what to say.

Imlah pointed a finger at his chest, glaring at him. “You got something else smart to say? No? Cool your head off, and get your focus back. You can be a good player when you do that.”

“I played a damned good match last time, I scored two goals, why are you always on my case?” Cleopas said heatedly, throwing his towel down. Imlah stared at him coldly.

“Enough! No privately done interviews. I told you what to do, just do it, or I’ll bench you.” Imlah said, stomping out.

Cleopas bunched a fist. He shook his head, scowling.

"Easy, boy," said Pabadakis, slapping his shoulder. "You were never in the army were you? Funny. Anyway he talks like that but he keeps putting you on, so just play hard and play the game, like the President says."

"Right. He was kinda hard on that girl though, she's just doing her job," Cleopas said thoughtfully.

Pabadakis laughed. "There are lots of nice women out there, Danny boy. You don't need to go looking for reporters, they're all leeches. Well maybe Tim Stanon is a good guy. i wish he was here, I heard he was on vacation. Too bad. But hes' been watching the matches though, he did some nice reporting for us."

"Alright! Let go of your cocks and pull up your socks!" roared Imlah. "You have practiced hard, you've played hard, now you're gonna play harder! We're gonna play a strong passing game out there--the goal line tech is what's gonna win this. Let's spill some fucking blood out there, you snipes! Let's be mean and tough and a team! Who's gonna make the kill today?"

"GRIFFONS!" they shouted, even Cleopas.

"Arlight." he said, quieting down, staring at the group of them. "Dr. Alexander: will you lead us in prayer?"

Dr. Alexander moved to the center of the room, bowed his head, and said, from memory, which they recited with him, some needing their devotional books:

I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart;

I will show forth all thy marvelous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in thee:

I will sing praise to thy name, O thou Most High.
When mine enemies are turned back,

they shall fall and perish at thy presence.
For thou hast maintained my right and my cause;

thou satest in the throne judging right.
Thou hast rebuked the heathen, thou hast destroyed the wicked,

thou hast put out their name for ever and ever.
O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end:

and thou hast destroyed cities;
their memorial is perished with them.
But the LORD shall endure for ever:

he hath prepared his throne for judgment.
And he shall judge the world in righteousness,

he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.
The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed,

a refuge in times of trouble.
And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee:

for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
Sing praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion:

declare among the people his doings.
When he maketh inquisition for blood, he remembereth them:

he forgetteth not the cry of the humble.
Have mercy upon me, O LORD;

consider my trouble which I suffer of them that hate me,
thou that liftest me up from the gates of death:
that I may show forth all thy praise

in the gates of the daughter of Zion:
I will rejoice in thy salvation.
The heathen are sunk down in the pit that they made:

in the net which they hid is their own foot taken.
The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth:

the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands.

The wicked shall be turned into hell,

and all the nations that forget God.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten:

the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever.
Arise, O LORD; let not man prevail:

let the heathen be judged in thy sight.
Put them in fear, O LORD:

that the nations may know themselves to be but men.

The Queen

Mara’s driver, Mekim, pulled the sleek black Rolls Royce into the executive parking bay. He was a happy man—he had a great match to see coming up, he had a great job, it was a great position to have. The Royal Protection Service were an elite, carefully screened police service in New Edom, you had to be a veteran soldier and experienced with law enforcement before they even considered you. 28 was the minimum age. You had to be very fit, smart, have good instincts for security, alert, a good shot at close range, good at hand to hand combat and have up to date knowledge of modern security systems.

Other parts of the security detail were already out by the time he had parked. It wasn’t his job to get out and hold the door open—for public occasions, the Queen’s ADC did that function. Mekim had to grin at Captain Ramoth—he was smitten by the Queen. Mekim simply respected her position. She was always a lovely sight though. Now that his duty had been done, he discreetly watched as she reset her already perfect long black hair and smooth the tight fitting, short skirt over her legs before getting out.

Captain Ramoth saluted, and Mara smiled at him, then said to her cousin Count Lalery, “I’m so much looking forward to this, we just need to get one more win, then we have a chance at the semi-finals.”

“No, we don’t.” Lalery said shortly.

“Oh yeah we do!” Mara exclaimed, “There’s totally another match coming up. If we tie with Arbites we have a shot!”

“No, we don’t.” Lalery said as they moved up towards their box. “Why didn’t we take a damned helicopter? Why do you like driving so much?”

“I love my car,” said Mara. “I love Lemony.”

Lemony?!” said Lalery, staring at her. “You named the car?”

Mara smiled. “Yeah of course, the car has a personality…”

Lalery gave up. “Let’s just go watch the damned match.”He smiled and went to greet one of the Schottian officials, to get ready to make presentations for the camera.

Schottia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:00 am

The Daily Worker Sport

With the final group games fast approaching the Daily Worker looks at the possible outcomes; who has the best chance of qualifying, and who will be looking for a miracle.

An group A Gylias have already qualified and a win against Shalum tomorrow would see them top the group. This would theoretically give them an easier semi-final tie against group B runners up. The Gylias team, have surprised everyone this year with their original and inventive style of play, and should be just too much for Shalum.

This group has also left us with a fascinating match between Adrion and L'Ossienne to decide who takes the second qualifying spot. A draw would be good enough for Adrion, who are currently a point ahead of their northern rivals. After their poor start to the tournament, being thrashed 4-0 by Gylias, L'Ossiene have went about their business quietly, picking up three wins and a draw, to pull themselves back into contention. Although Adrion have been one of the best footballing sides this tournament, it's important not to forget Les Cygnes' pre tournament billing. Either way, this match promises to be one of the best so far.

Group B winners Arbites can sit afford to rest a few players in their last game Dassalia, which now becomes a bit of a nothing match. Schottia find themselves in a similar position, having played all their matches they have to hope the points they have earned will be enough to see them through. Goals from Schwartz and Avelione in their last game against Dassallia, were enough to give them the win, but they might have hoped for a few more to help the goal difference.

The real battle in group B is between New Edom and Wielkilas, who both need the win and both need to score goals, if they are going to beat the Schotts to second spot. An Edomite win of two goals or more would in fact be enough to book them a potential semi-final with Gylias. Wielkilas on the other hand are firmly in the miracle category, as they now need a five goal win to see them through; but stranger things have happened in football.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Sport Report: Adiron Poised for Semifinals in Cornellian Cup

Handon, Schottia-
As the fifth match of the Cornellian Cup draws to a close, the Orcas remain undefeated and are well-positioned to advance to the semifinals. The Adiran defense has been consistently strong and adaptable, being the only team so far to shut Cup-favorite and group leader Gylias out. Lei and Drescher's methodical strategies have only conceded three goals over the course of the Cup so far.

Sports analysts have, however, noted that the Orcas' striking has been somewhat inconsistent throughout. The Adiran offense occasionally finds itself completely frustrated, leading to two draws against Gylias and Shalum and a close 1-0 match against Ri'en. Against the Jedorian and Commoner teams, on the other hand, the Adiran forwards crushed their opposition.

The Orcas need to draw against Les Cygnes to advance to the semifinals, which has some football fans on edge. Although saddled with a demoralizing loss to Gylias in their first match, L'Ossienne quickly recovered and closed the gap with Adiron. Les Cygnes has favored an aggressive approach much of the time; despite conceding more goals, L'Ossienne has so far scored impressive victories by simply out-shooting the opposition. The pressure is on the Adiran forwards to keep up with the likes of Fethuel, Bloch, and Feyrat.

Of the opposing team, Drescher was analytical and measured. "I think it will be like our match with Gylias in some ways. They've got a lot of good players from all over North Acheron. Every one of them is solid, just like everyone on the Gylian team. It'll be different in a number of ways too. L'Ossienne plays in formation, which means we'll actually know who the strikers are. Of course, they're going to be more aggressive than Gylias as well, especially with all this at stake."

Special: Tom Hall

Coach Lei relented and finally allowed an interview with center-forward Tom Hall, who has comprised the backbone of the Adiran offense this Cup. Adiran football fans know Hall well, for better or for worse, but after last year's disappointing Cup showing this is the first serious international exposure he's got.

ANBC: People back home know you from the Elk Creek Club and your run with the Hammerheads. Did you get recognized here in Schottia at all before the Cup started?

Hall: "Only a couple of times...oh, before the Cup started? Nope, nothing. (laughs)

ANBC: No one?

Hall: "Places like Schottia, L'Ossienne, Wielkilas, Gylias, their teams go back decades, some of 'em over a hundred years. They played football against Ceti. Old Ceti. They've got living legends kicking around. It's not like back home where someone has a good season and they think you're the next Stephens. They're all a lot older than us."

ANBC: Adiron does have a competitive football scene now, though. Didn't it surprise you that you get so little traction over here?

Hall: "Surprise? Actually, It was kind of nice. Back home, after this awful Panthers game where I missed a penalty kick, I was on the E train in Puerto Rojo. This mom, looked to be about forty, three kids in football strips in tow. She just walks up to me and says "Nice kick, dumbass. Kids, you know who this is?" And then the three kids with her all say "Nice kick, dumbass!""

ANBC: But you were recognized after you played a few matches?

Hall: "Oh, a couple of times. Autographed a couple of balls for some kids, shook a few hands, you know. There were a few interesting characters too though. Like this one old guy, never caught his name, who found us in a bar. He treated the team to a round of drinks because he hated the Commoners. He would not stop talking about them, and eventually he drifted from their team to their whole country. Was more than a little bit racist at times. Found a Jedorian guy on the street who said 'Didn't you read the news? My team f***ing sucks, I'm gonna follow you now.'

ANBC: The next match is going to be critical for Adiron, do you have any thoughts on L'Ossienne?

Hall: "It's going to be tough. We're just going to have to give it our all, and that will have to be good enough."

ANBC: Do Les Cygnes' previous scores worry you?

Hall: "Can't worry, just play. I think if you let yourself worry about what might happen, you'll miss what's actually happening. We're going to go out there, play the best we possibly can, and if our heads are really in the game, we'll win."

ANBC: What do you make of Gylias' performance so far?

Hall: "They're actually a good example of what I meant. They stay loose no matter what. Where everyone else is all tense about the cup, they certainly seem to not have a care in the world aside from just playing. If you focus on playing things one minute, one second at a time, and don't get hung up on winning, you might find yourself winning anyway."

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Bye bye.
Last edited by Wielkilas on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

L Ossienne
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby L Ossienne » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:41 am

Later.
Last edited by L Ossienne on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schottia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Results

Group A
TECT 3 - 1 Jedoria

Gylias 2 - 1 Shalum
Dryerton, Handon

Adiron 1 - 3 L'Ossienne
Dukes Street, Handon

Group B
Alizeria 0 - 1 San Lucifero
Gannon Park, Soessch

New Edom 4 - 2 Wielkilas
Harbour Hill, Handon

Arbites 1 - 0 Dassallia
Ashley Road, New Belfast

Group A
Gylias 6 5 1 0 11 3 +8 16 Gylias are Group A winners
Adiron 6 4 1 1 15 6 +9 13 Adrion are Group B runners-up
L'Ossienne 6 4 1 1 16 9 +7 13 Qualified
Ri'en 6 2 1 3 6 7 -1 7 Qualified

Shalum 6 2 2 2 6 9 -5 7
TECT 6 1 1 4 10 15 -12 4
Jedoria 6 0 0 6 4 16 -12 0

Group B
Arbites 6 5 1 0 7 0 +7 16 Arbites are Group B winners
New Edom 6 4 0 2 12 4 +8 12 New Edom are Group B runners-up
Schottia 6 4 0 2 11 4 +7 12 Qualified
Wielkilas 6 2 3 1 10 10 0 9 Qualified

Dassallia 6 1 2 3 5 10 -5 5
San Lucifero 6 1 1 4 7 13 -6 4
Alizeria 6 0 1 5 0 12 -12 1
Last edited by Schottia on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:03 pm

"HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LOSE EVERY GAME?"

"Sir, we-"

"I MEAN FOR FUCKS SAKE. WE SPENT 40 MILLION CREDITS ON YOU STUPID FUCKING MORONS! AND YOU LOSE TO EVERYONE! EVEN FUCKING SHALUM?! FOR FUCKS SAKE, EVEN SHALUM?!"

"Look, sir, we did our best. There was a lot of tough teams and-"

"You think that makes up for it?! There were tough teams?! That's your fucking excuse? You're a fucking moron, that's why I outta kill you!"

The members of the Jedorian association football team stood around the front desk of their manager, who right now was struggling to control his rage at this moment. Despite high hopes, the Jedorian team had failed to win a single game. They were the only team to lose every single game, and right now the Jedorian sports fan populace was seething with anger. Rumor had it that there were plans to kill the team, and death threats made up 60% of their fan mail. The other 40% were requests that the Jedorian team never return home. And then there was that one letter from one of the team players brothers asking if he could borrow 20 credits for a...thing....this upcoming Saturday.

"You understand how disappointing you all are? I mean we had 20 sick children attending each game. You people are the biggest sack of shits I have ever seen, and I've been to Thesum!"

"Heh, Thesum. Those silly people." One of the players chuckled.

"YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!" Yelled the Manager. "You all are going to go back to Jedoria, and then you're going to publicly apologize to the Jedorian people for making them waste their time and money on you guys watching your games and buying your jerseys."

"Oh come on, do we have to?"

"It's either that or you're getting tied to a block of cement and tossed into the ocean."

"Man this sucks."

"Yeah, I didn't sign up to be insulted just for not winning some games."

"Yeah, football's a hard game."

"Wait, this was football? Shit, no wonder the ref kept telling me to get rid of this racket."

"Ion you're a fucking retard."
Last edited by Jedoria on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports