NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup LXV (65) RP Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Sideburn
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sideburn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Cathy Stokes' Dream Diary
November 2, 330

My dream began when we woke up. Horses surrounded my bed, but they all had the faces of my father and mother mutated into one horrific core head. I asked them why they were clustered around my bed. As one, they began to sing the national anthem. Then one of them said he was a Sabrefell Moths fan and that I should've accepted their transfer offer at the start of last year and then he bit me and I woke up.

It was well horrible.

----------------------------------------------------
It was 6.30am, late spring in Treason. Gethin Ramsey had been awake for some time, but the soft, plush body of his vastly younger girlfriend, Angela, was proving too strong a reason to stay. Yes, just to lie here on her soft, warm stomach as she breathed in and out in blissful sleep...

There was a rapping on the door. Quick, staccato and efficient.

Gethin dealt with it by pretending it didn't exist.

His clock clicked over to 6.31. There was another knocking at the door.

Angela stirred beneath him. He swore under his breath.
"You'd better answer that," said Angela, trying to rub life into her eyes. She was a model for New Sideburn's only fashion designers, Bear Wrestler, who tailored exclusively for tall, strapping lads and lasses who ate meat and drank beer for breakfast. Other clothing designers for 'plus-size' people tend to hide it under wankery names like 'Big and Tall', or 'My Size'. Only in New Sideburn would an entrepreneur attempt to attach a heroic spin to it.
Gethin swore again, slid out of bed gracelessly and answered the door. While it was his custom to sleep in tracksuit pants, he wasn't feeling particularly inclined to dig around on the floor for a shirt.
At 6.32, they knocked on the door again, just as Gethin was about to open it. The manager gritted his teeth, inhaled and exhaled deeply, then ripped open the door.
"Yes?" he said, expectantly.
A small, cheerful-looking blonde smiled up at him, and extended a hand. "Hello? My name's Escher Speare, we talked over the phone?"
Gethin's resolve hardened. "Right. You said you'd be here at 6.30 without actually waiting for me to answer."
"Er," said Escher, before deciding to go for truth. "Well, yes?"
Gethin shrugged. "Well, whatever. Now I'm awake, now my girlfriend's awake, and I've got nothing else better to do. Lemme fetch a shirt and you can shout me a coffee."
----------------------------------------------
"So you have the group draw already?" said Gethin, incredulous.
"It was 3am, but I made it anyway!" Escher did, in fact, have the slightly manic look of someone who had probably drunk too much coffee as a result of waking early, and was about to drink another at that. Escher handed Gethin a piece of paper.
The Archregimancy (12)
United Gordonopia (28)
Khytenna (68)
New Sideburn (86)
Backyard Sports (104)
Homelands Our (195)
Nandezia (222)
Neu Engollon (281)
Mr Creeper (315)
Phing Phong (350)

"Oh," said Gethin, blandly. He recognised some of those names. That was generally a bad sign. "Do you know much about-"
"The Archregimancy is an order of monks, I believe, and they will be easy to find footage of. United Gordonopia I believe you are familiar with, Khytenna is quite strong as well... but the bookies have us as dark horses for the playoffs and I think we can, too. Backyard are the only other competition we need to worry about - their style was converted from street football, I believe, and they lack much of a stadium but I think we should still be able to defeat them twice. Nandezia are our next opponents, I've done some statistics on them in their Baptism of Fire matches, they were expected to do better than the round of sixteen. They won't be pushovers, but again, we should still beat them twice. Everyone else I don't think we need to worry about."
"Oh," said Gethin. "Good. Um, so you've done this quite thoroughly, Ms... ?"
"Speare, Escher Speare," said Escher, helpfully adding "I told you at the door."
"Right. Yeah. Well, I guess this is your first day on the job."
"Quite. I was surprised when you called me up, hahahahaha! Ha."
"Nobody else wanted the job," said the gaffer. "C'mon, let's take our coffees."
------------------------------------------
A hundred and six thousand, eight hundred and forty-one people packed into the Farham Arena to watch their beloved Cormorants. Or their beloved Canaries, as the case may be. The outgoing Baptism of Fire champions were uncomfortably aware that the precedent of Baptism sides proving a thorn in the side of more established sides was one they'd helped set just two years ago. This time, Nandezia was the heroic underdogs, and the Cormorants were collectively The Man. There was nothing for it, then, except to mercilessly jump up and down on the Canaries until there was nothing left, then move onto the next target.
Brutality and ruthlessness would be their watchwords, Gethin had said, drilling into the team the message that they couldn't afford to be nearly as leaky at the back as they had been last time. They couldn't afford to waste shots, drop points... they may have been dark horses to reach the playoffs, but Gethin expected nothing less of them.

It was sink or swim.

Fortunately, cormorants are seabirds.
The old ways were best!

Original nation behind Nephara. New Sideburn now symbolises an ideal, rather than a nation.

Neo Lemmitania
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Lemmitania » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Welcome once again to Neo-Lemmitania’s only pan-athletic talkshow, Shemp’s Corner. I’m your host, Shemp Wooley, the Dean of Neo-Lemmitanian sports. Tonight, a special edition of the programme, as we’re coming to you just minutes from the opening scrum of the national Rugby League championship match between the Lemmington Lemmings and the Lemvoola Leemcats. Joining me for tonight’s broadcast is Dale Hartford, dashing man-about-town, and starting centre for the Limmsburgh Scoundrels. Plus, starting defensive back for the national football side. Dale, welcome to the show!

Dale: Thanks, Shemp. Nice to be here tonight.

Shemp: Looking forward to this game?

Dale: Not as much as I’d be if the Scoundrels were in it.

Shemp: Ha ha! Well, fair enough. Congrats on picking up the ‘Back of the Year’ award at the Ruggies last week, by the way.

Dale: Thanks, thanks.

Shemp: Well-deserved. Twenty tries are a hell of a feat!

Dale: Yeah, I mean, I have to give credit to the boys in the front. I’d never have done that without them opening holes for me to run through.

Shemp: So Dale, you played both the Lemmings and the Leemcats this season. What do you think about tonight’s game?

Dale: I think the Leemcats have an advantage.

Shemp: Really? Even with the game being here in Lemmington?

Dale: They’ve got the Rosco twins. That’s enough for me.

Shemp: They shut you down when the Scoundrels visited Lemvoola six weeks ago. I think that was the only match all season that you didn’t score.

Dale: That’s right. Enough of a reason for me to favor them tonight!

Shemp: Well, I like the Lemmings’ chances. Joey Lemstater and Mel Flanders are both tremendous players--

Dale: Sure, and Balbo Lemgins is great too. You can’t give serious odds on a game like this.

Shemp: Don’t tell the bookies that.

Dale: Ha. You have a wager on the game, Shemp?

Shemp: I may. But I wouldn’t reveal who I’m betting on before the game’s even started.

Dale: Ha ha! Not with half of Neo-Lemmitania watching. Man, speaking of which, I hear they’re not televising the World Cup qualifiers.

Shemp: No it’s all on the radio. We’ll be on the Lemming Radio Network.

Dale: How come no TV?

Shemp: I don’t know, you’d have to ask the network execs.

Dale: Well, as a player on the team, I think we ought to be on the tele.

Shemp: In fact, LRN’s only broadcasting six of the qualifying matches.

Dale: Really? Only six? There are going to be eighteen!

Shemp: I think it’s for budgetary reasons.

Dale: But you’re covering tomorrow’s opener, right?

Shemp: Yeah, we’ve got tomorrow’s game on the schedule.

Dale: Good, because I’m flying to Hutt River tonight for that match. I’d hate to think no one’s even going to hear it.

Shemp: We’re doing tomorrow’s game, and then the game here in Lemmington against Aels.

Dale: Oh, the B.O.F. champs. Nice. Glad the next match you broadcast will be us getting dismantled on our home turf. Which one’s after that?

Shemp: Then we’ll be calling the game against Europa Brittania here.

Dale: Well, good. That one ought to be worth the bandwidth.

Shemp: Definitely a game I’m looking forward to.

Dale: What about the back nine?

Shemp: Undecided, so far. If the Lemmings have any ghost of a chance of making the playoffs, I imagine we’ll carry the home game against Starblaydia. Otherwise, who knows?

Dale: There’s no chance we’ll have a ghost of a chance of making the playoffs. Are you kidding?

Shemp: I’m sorry you’re not more bullish on the team’s chances. Being on it, and everything.

Dale: Well, I’m realistic. You don’t just come out of nowhere in your first international tournament and beat well-established sides like Legalese and Starblaydia.

Shemp: Speaking of Legalese, they had a friendly match against our-- it almost chokes me to say this-- our reigning World Cup champion neighbors, Audioslavia.

Dale: Saw that game. Thought the ‘slaves were going to win it, especially after they drew first blood. But those Legal guys came right back. You’ve never seen so many pissed-off Audioslavians as slunk out of the stands after that one.

Shemp: They take things seriously over there.

Dale: Indeed. You ever seen Zach de la Rocha?

Shemp: Who?

Dale: Oh, just a guy in a group. Never mind.

Shemp: I try never to mind Audioslavians.

Dale: That’s all well and good until they start winning world championships and stuff.

Shemp: Right. Well, I mean, it took them what, two hundred and fifty years?

Dale: Something like that. Which, I think, is about how long that Jaffacake’s been around.

Shemp: I’ve heard that. Predates me.

Dale: Yeah, there’s something weird about Audioslavia. It’s like they’ve been around forever and we’ve just popped into being. I bet Gil Lemson would have a theory about that.

Shemp: Ugh! Don’t mention Lemson to me, I’m going to have to work with him on all those World Cup games.

Dale: Ha ha! I guess you’re glad LRN’s only covering a third of the matches, huh?

Shemp: When you put it that way, I do feel better about it. Anyway, listeners can catch up on the ones we don’t broadcast on Shemp’s Corner. You know we’ll be talking about them.

Dale: Sure, sure.

Shemp: Speaking of which, that’s about all the time we’ve got tonight. Coming up next, the opening scrum of the thirty-third national Rugby League championship, brought to you by the Electric Lemming Corporation, makers of LemmSucker(tm), the only fully-automated lemming suction device approved by the Ministry of Health and Litmus.
Last edited by Neo Lemmitania on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beaverriver
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beaverriver » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:18 pm

At Lake Corvan Lodge 15 miles outside Corvan

"Are you excited for the upcoming World Cup Qualifying campaign?" Asked Levi Elias to Johnathan McKay
"Yes, I'm really excited for our upcoming campaign. In fact I'm just excited in general that I'm not only on the National Team roster but on it as a starter." replied Johnathan McKay . "I hope this Campaign will be very different from any other qualifying campaigns our national team ever did. So... What do you hope for in the group draw?"
"Well, I hope that we don't get a group of death and have no top 10 teams in our group."
"Sorry if I burst in but I hope for a relatively challenging group but not to far out of our league." Rose Shelton bursts in.
"I think you would experience that when you're part of a team that's qualifies for a major UICA competition like the Globe Cup or the Champions' Cup." Levi Elias wittily commented. Both Johnathan and Levi laughed at the comment. Levi had a laugh that sounded like a dying forest hyena while Johnathan's was more of an attractive laugh. Rose just rolled her eyes and drank the last drops of her Carbo Soda. Then she threw it behind her and missed the garbage can by an inch.
"Let me get that for you" said Bark Wiley.
"Thanks!" Rose said nicely "So what has your father been up to, Bark?"
"He's been creating some robots like Chipman and Rosewoman. He claims that he is creating them for the good of Wes but he has promised this 12 times in the past, he has never kept that promise."
"I'm surprised that he hasn't been detained by the Beaver police yet."
"He has been detained once."
"When?"
"After his first attempt to take over Wes. He has been hiding since then and he controls his robots from his hiding spot. I haven't had personal contact with him since he went into hiding."

"The live coverage of the group draw is happening in 2 minutes!" Announced Zach Heckinson. Most of us really tired due to the draw being at 2:25 in the morning. Most of the team sluggishly congregate over to the 60 inch plasma flat screen TV. Gabrial and Ian were drunk and were still at the kitchen with their beer cans. The live coverage started and the team were very anxious to see which group they would be put in and who would be in their group. Suspense was starting build exponentially.
"We have the draw for Group 6!" said the female TV announcer. The following information came up on the screen:

Group 6
Mytannion (21)
Jeruselem (32)
Mesoland (56)
Bergnovinaia (83)
Gaveo (109)
Beaverriver (182)
Metropolis Mania (254)
Telnaior (281)
Querria (339)
Worszary (UR)

Sighs of relief echoed through the lodge. Levi had a smile bigger than Flounders Island.
"Well we have a good chance of making it into the top half of the group at the end of the qualifying!" exclaimed Levi. All but Gabrial and Ian cheered.
"What just Happened!?" Ian said drunkenly.
"We just found out who we're facing and we learned that we have a chance at qualifying for the World Cup, my drunk teammates." Mark Barker said obnoxiously.
"We probably going to end up at the bottom half of the group again." Ian said pessimistically.

"This is the first step to a great qualifying campaign with no top 10 teams in our group and being the 6th ranked team in our group! Now tomorrow, you all will get a break from national team training." announced Zach Heckinson. Everybody in the room cheered except for Guis Borduall who loves training with the national team. "However, We will start preparing for Gaveo the day after tomorrow and try to claim victory on their soil!"
The Earth's Republic of Beaver River
An Esportivan Nation

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Ludenthal to Burgunden Internashunell Airport, Burgunden, Zurich Ctn., Neu Engollon 18 June 2013

Dad picked me up a little late and Mom stayed in her room. She shouted goodbye through the door. Accorzu, she said everything she wanted to last night after dinner. I will miss her, but Dang! I'm excited!
I just had my one bag and I could get it down the stairs fine. When Dad saw it was just me lugging my bag, I could tell he got a little mad but he didn't say anything about it.
"You ready, Manny? This'll be great, champ! We gotta beat it to the airport, cause I'm a little late. No worries."

He loaded my bag and we were off. The radio was on, NERC Sports 7. Ugh. Dad and his Sports 7!
We got to the airport and got tickets on EngolAir to Burgunden. I was nervous. Like I said, this was the first trip - that I remember - on a plane. Everything was really neat and I had a nice flight attendant. She was pretty. There was another one helping her who was a lot older. She was really nice, too, but she was not...well, she was nice.

Dad started to tell me about some of the things we might see. He had bought a couple of 'prepper' magazines, like NE Sport and AF World. I looked through them, but they didn't interest me too much. NE Sport was mostly rugby and AF World had nothing about the Goats in it. It was all other teams like Audioslavia, Sangti and The Glorious Commune. He told me we might see some weird things that he wouldn't be able to explain. Stuff like talking horses, animals, big moving trees. I laughed so hard, and I think he didn't mean to be funny, but then he made it funnier and laughed with me. I peed a little, but you can't see it. I packed a lot of pants and underwear, so I should be accorzu. Plus Dad said we can get some jerseys and cool shirts, so that will be covered.

We got to Burgunden and got a bite at the mini-BreuPub in the airport. I've only been in the restaurants!
I've never seen a small BB like that. There were so many different people around. Burgunden is a big city with millions of people. 14 million, Dad said. Lots of different people and foreigners. I saw a guy with a cowboy hat and I don't think it was a costume. I wore one in a school play once. Also, there was a lady that had pink hair, sort of pointy ears and part of her top was see through. Kind of weird. She was walking down the terminal the other way, away from our gate. Bummer.

I got to meet the team at the gate. They are all pretty awesome guys. There was a couple other kids traveling with them too. I got to meet Minister Toft and his wife. They're really nice people. Meeting a Toft, though, and the Minister of TCS (Tourism, Culture & Sport), also. Who gets to do that? Wait till I tell kids at school.
Another thing that I'm better than Conrad about.

We all loaded up on a plane. Turns out that we have to take an RKA (Royal Kingtonian Airways) flight to the Atlantian Ocean, then to Khytenna from there. Someplace called Zephik? It's going to be a long day of flights.

Khytenna 19 June 2013

We got to the hotel late and Dad let me sleep. I don't remember much about getting there as I was so sleepy. Weird, because it's my first time in a different country. I was hoping to remember more.
The next morning, we went out to see the team warm up before the big match. We got breakfast from a local bakery near the practice pitch. Not too different from Neu Engoleen food.
All I know about Khytenna is they have a pretty good rugby squad, like us, but don't rank high in football, again, like us. So they're a lot like us and maybe this will be a pretty even match. That's what Dad says. We can only hope. I will write more tonight after the match.
Oh, also, Dad got me a press thingy, so I cut the part out about the match schedule and I'm taping it in here...

HOME STADIUMS
Burgunden Dome (147,670)
Capital Center in Telleursville (67,000)
Schwartzgarten Omholt Center (53,225)
Panoli Field (34,800)

GROUP 10
The Archregimancy (12)
United Gordonopia (28)
Khytenna (68)
New Sideburn (86)
Backyard Sports (104)
Homelands Our (195)
Nandezia (222)
Neu Engollon (281)
Mr Creeper (315)
Phing Phong (350)

WC MATCHES FOR NEU ENGOLLON
MD1: Khytenna v Neu Engollon @ Away
MD2: Neu Engollon v New Sideburn @ Capital Center in Telleursville
MD3: Backyard Sports v Neu Engollon @ Playground Commons in Metropolis
MD4: Neu Engollon v Homelands Our @ Schwartzgarten Omholt Center
MD5: Nandezia v Neu Engollon @ La Gomera in Isleno
MD6: Phing Phong v Neu Engollon @ Away
MD7: Neu Engollon v Mr Creeper @ Capital Center in Telleursville
MD8: The Archregimancy v Neu Engollon @ Troitse-Sergiyeva Monastery
MD9: Neu Engollon v United Gordonopia @ Burgunden Dome
MD10: Neu Engollon v Khytenna @ Burgunden Dome
MD11: New Sideburn v Neu Engollon @ Farham Arena in Sabrefell
MD12: Neu Engollon v Backyard Sports @ Schwartzgarten Omholt Center
MD13: Homelands Our v Neu Engollon @ Away
MD14: Neu Engollon v Nandezia @ Panoli Field
MD15: Neu Engollon v Phing Phong @ Panoli Field
MD16: Mr Creeper v Neu Engollon @ Away
MD17: Neu Engollon v The Archregimancy @ Burgunden Dome
MD18: United Gordonopia v Neu Engollon @ Empire Stadium in Gordonopia City
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Filopines
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Filopines » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:16 am

Smart, Dumb and Funny Season Two Episode One (EP20 overall)

For first-time readers, I recommend you to click on the first part to see the characters and their names and who they are. (except Luis and Julie are now roommates AND in a relationship)

(at Mark and Aaron's apartment)
Mark: Hurry up, Aaron!
Aaron: (from the other room) Why?
Mark: Because we're about to leave!
Aaron: Where are we going?
Mark: Don't you remember?
Aaron: No.
(Mark walks inside the room Aaron is in)
(Aaron still in bed)
Mark: You haven't even gotten dressed yet!
Aaron: For what?
(Mark facepalms)
Aaron: Why can't you just tell me?
Mark: The Football Players Dinner with the President...
Aaron: Oh, crap. (gets out of bed quickly and takes off his pants)
Mark: What are you doing?
Aaron: Getting dressed. Are you stupid?!
Mark: Oh, yeah. I'll just close my eyes.
Aaron: Just get out.
(Mark leaves room)
(knock on front door)
Luis: Hey, what's taking so long?
Mark: Aaron's still waking up.
Luis: Oh.
(phone rings)
(Luis grabs a banana)
Mark: Hey, don't eat that. We're going to a dinner. With the President!
(Luis frowns and puts the banana down and goes to the bathroom)
(Mark answers phone)
Mark: Hello?
Mark: Oh, hey Mum!
Mark: What do you mean?
(Seven seconds later Mark drops the phone and stares blankly)
(Luis exits bathroom)
Luis: What's wrong, Mark?
(Mark doesn't reply)
Luis: Mark?
Mark: Uncle Tommy.
Luis: What about him?
Mark: He died.
Luis: He died? How?
Mark: Heart attack. Go to the dinner without me. I'll explain later.
Luis: No, we'll come with you.
(Aaron exits bedroom with suit on)
Aaron: What do you mean?
Luis: Mark's Uncle Tommy died and we're going to the hospital with him.
Aaron: Oh, come on. Let's go then.
(in the hallway)
Aaron: Hey, he owned a bar, right? I don't have to wait for my Uncle Donnie to die. Maybe this is go-
Luis: Shut up, let's go.

(at the hospital)
Mark: Hi, mum. (hugs his mum)
Mrs. Viney: Hi, son. Hi, Aaron and Luis.
Luis and Aaron: Hi, Mrs Viney.
Mark: Where's everybody else?
Mrs. Viney: They're all too busy and I was the only person with him at the bar.
(Luis and Aaron in the corner speaking quietly)
Aaron: See, I knew it! He is the one that owns the bar.
Luis: This is not the time.
Aaron: It's never the time for anything.
Luis: Have you called the others yet?
Aaron: Who?
Luis: Kate, Rachel and Julie!
Aaron: Only Kate knows his family.
Luis: Mark is feeling sad and he'd probably want his close friends to be here with him.
Aaron: Alright, I'll call Kate.
Luis: All three of them.
Aaron: No.
Luis: Give me that phone. (grabs phone out of Aaron's hands)

(at Kate and Rachel's apartment)
(Kate, Rachel and Julie sitting in a square painting each other's nails)
Julie: I've had enough of this.
Rachel: Come on, it's fun! Watch. (paints red love heart on Kate's face)
(Kate giggles)
Julie: Kate, you've got a boyfriend. Does the name Mark make you think?
(Kate and Rachel appear high)
Kate: Who's Mark?
Rachel: (sing-song like) Julie's got a boyfriend. Julie's got a boyfriend.
Julie: Shut up, Rach. I do and his name is Luis.
Kate: Probably a code name for this Mark guy.
(Kate and Rachel laugh hysterically)
Julie: That's it, I'm outta here.
(phone rings)
Julie: After this.
(Julie answers phone)
Julie: Kate Marshall and Rachel Giroux's residence.
Julie: Oh, hey Luis, honey. Can you get me out of here? Please?!
Julie: When?
Julie: Ok, I'm coming now. (puts down phone and opens door)
Kate: Where are you going, babe?
Rachel: Stay with us.
Julie: I think I'm gonna go to Esportiva. (leaves)
Kate: Think it worked?
Rachel: As long as Aaron and Luis doesn't tell.
Kate: Can't wait to get that bitch out of my life.
Rachel: Me too.

(at the hospital)
(Luis, Aaron and Julie sitting on a bench outside the hospital entrance)
Julie: How did he die?
Aaron: Drug overdose.
Luis: No it's not. He had a heart attack. Dumb-dumb head.
Aaron: Who you callin' pinhead?
Luis: I said dumb-dumb head, you pinhead.
Julie: (to herself) Better than Kate and Rachel.
(Aaron heard Julie)
Aaron: We are better than them. We're not trying to get you out of our lives.
Julie: What do you mean?
Aaron: They're cutting you off.
(Luis punches Aaron's arm)
Aaron: (laughs) Did you get that joke, Jules? Funny, right?
Julie: So is that why they were acting crazy tonight?
Luis: I'm sorry, babe.
Julie: You knew about this? I can't believe it. (stands up and walks away)
(begins to rain)
Julie: (head down) My best friends are trying to get rid of me. Unbelievable.
Nation of Filopines
Fort Town, Filopines: Sixth Rushmori Capital of Culture
Native Filopinian names
Surnames

Demonym - Filopinian
Beach Cup VIII Champions

updated 5/01/2015 pre-apocalypse

Mapletish
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mapletish » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:41 am

The Sour Kind
Because being sweet is too mainstream; bringing you the latest updates of the World Cup LXV Qualifiers
With some annoying eyebrows and fake accent; YOLO!

Hello everybody, this is Tish, yes it's me Tish as the World Cup of Hockey goes down into the final four in the next few days before a winner would be announced, we or rather I will be looking into the Lions' journey into the World Cup Qualifiers, where the fire will be picking up once again as the 10 teams in the group will play for the spots for the World Cup tournament proper. And this cycle, the Lions are drawn into Group four together with nine other teams, one unranked and another one from the top ten, yes it is Andossa Se Mitrin Vega and there we go again, as the Lions ranked 33rd will be the second seeded in the group. Followed closely by two other teams, Maklohi Vai ranked 57th and Free South Califas ranked 72nd, both teams have the quality in their squad to challenge for a World Cup spot in the qualifying group. Here's one detailed review of all the nine teams the Lions will be up against.

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega (2)
Yes Andossa Se Mitrin Vega is the top seeded team in group four and all of the other nine teams will be looking at the top seeded team with quite some careful approach to ensure that they don't get squashed under their crutches. ASMV has always been a pretty defensive team and their counter attacks has always been swift and solid, and many of the teams go unaware of that hidden danger and got thrashed left, right and center and that is certainly one thing that needs to be better watched out for.

Maklohi Vai (57)
Ranked 57th Maklohi Vai has visited Mapletish only once, during the 4th Friendly Cup and from then since they have never come to Mapletish before, neither have they face the Lions before. This time the Lions are prepared to take on the 57th ranked or the 3rd seed of the group both back at home and right at their turf, also a defensive team like AMSV, their careful approach on and off the ball has been made known to the world in the previous qualifiers and they have really shocked some of the higher ranking teams. They play some ultra defensive football and football is always played in their own half, like AMSV, they often go on counter attacks as their means of attack and getting the goals to win matches.

Free South Califas (72)
Ranked 72nd in the world, Free South Califas has been a bit inconsistent all this few matches, but they have one huge potential to go around winning matches and challenging for the qualifying spot in the previous few qualifying campaigns. They play uniquely with quite a number of football kits under their name, and for once they are the third defensive team in the group, behind AMSV and Maklohi Vai, counting more on counter attacks too to get their goals and results, well it would be more of a threat to any of the teams right in Group 4 too.

Barunia (106)
A pretty consistent team in the previous qualifiers and entered the playoff stages before being eliminated, they were just so close at qualifying for the World Cup and they were one of the more surprising teams too. That happened right at their first appearance in the World Cup qualifiers, playing offensive football, they are the second team from the group that plays offensive football together with the Lions. Although they might be ranked lower than the other prominent teams that are challenging for the World Cup spot, they have potential to challenge to the World Cup spot.

Mantwenic (192)
A team that the Lions has never faced before, neither have they heard about them other than their feat in their eariler attempts qualifying for WC 54 and 55, but their more glory days are over as they came down hard on their rankings after being inactive for quite some time and now currently played by a team of university players, they play more offensive football and they are the third team to play offensively after Barunia and the Lions.

German American States (227)
Ranked 227th in the world, they appeared in the previous campaign, and they are a team that the Lions have never faced before, a foreign team indeed, well interestingly they are the fourth offensive team in the group, a team filled with their own finest players from the German American Premier League. The Lions are expected to walk away easily from the clashes against this two teams.

Mizuyuki (267)
Another team that the Lions have never faced before, they are one team that will play offensive football too and that will make them the fifth team in the group doing that. Interestingly said, they have got pretty interesting and colourful jerseys to boast about but nothing beats a team quality over their opponents and it is believed that Mizuyuki lacks it and the Lions are again expected to walk away easily in their meetings.

TailsPrower (315)
Ranked 315th TailsPrower is one team that the Lions have never faced before supposedly and little is known about them, it will be down on the first matchday will the Lions be able to learn about the team that they will be facing against. This two matches are going to be easy targets for the Lions to gain the necessary points to qualify for the World Cup.

The Glorious Commune (UR)
Last but not least this is one team that sounds a bit communist but the Lions have never face them before and they will be the fourth team playing defensively football in this group and there you have it, a pretty well balanced group with different teams playing both offensive and defensive football and this will prove somewhat interesting for the Lions as they are just moderately offensive. Travelling to the Glorious Commune like they announced themselves to be, the Lions are going to go through the motions easily.

And here is the end of the preview for the nine teams in Group 4, so now stay tune to your installment for the next commentary and this is Tish signing off, do catch the World Cup of Hockey commentary too as the Minnows go through their exciting semi-finals game series too.
The Minuscule Nation Mapletish
Pop. 65,000,000 | Capital: Struggait City| Demonym: Maplish/Mapletian| Trigramme: MAP
First - WLC 24, DBC 43, XIV Winter Olympics Second - WCoH 22, RUWC 23, CR 24 Third- BoF 44, HWC 11, WCoH 20, WCoH 21, DBC 49 Fourth - U15WC9, RLWC12, CR 14
Qualified for WC 64, 66
www.unionsports.map
Proudly contributing my triumph's to the glorification of the greater whole!

Sangti
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sangti » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:21 am

SANGTIAN FOOTBALL REVIEW, PLUS A CONVERSATION
Roman Barlaan
A World Cup Special

League football in Sangti has recently ended with the island club Deportivo Nespa claiming the first ever Liga Futbol de Sangti Primere Liga crown after a dramatic final day of the season saw them still level on points with runners-up Real Cintore, with superior goal difference winning it for them. However there was drama at the bottom of the table as Real Tadofal, who was tipped to finish runners-up, relegated in bottom place. Brian Cua, Christiann Sanchez and Adrian Magcaleng demanded a transfer request as their hopes of being selected in the NT for future events looks to be in vain. Likewise were John Utanes of Rambo Pesgem and Vernon Perea of Locomotiva Nandezfer, the other two relegated clubs. Utanes was preferring to any club in the top flight, even promoted sides for the next season, and so is Perea. In the cup, a surprise happened when Real Nonasa won its first Copa del Sangti after beating Tossan Saint Etudes in a penalty shoot-out. Giant-killing at its very best. Tables and more at this link.

---

Sangti played three friendly matches before the start of the World Cup Qualifying. The first two matches were a home-and-away series against Falklandia and a friendly at Gaveo. The scores were 3-0 away win, 1-0 home win, to Falklandia and a 0-2 loss to Gaveo. John Utanes and Daren Corsiga scored 2 each in the matches. I think Sangti is ready for the Jedi8246 match.

---

"Absolutely zero."

"What are you saying?"

"We have no chance of making it in the World Cup this time."

"Are you trolling? With perseverance and luck, we can make it at most or at least the playoffs."

"Hope that happens. I just don't want Sangti to have dejavu again. We could have our fate confirmed before the last matchday, NOT in the last matchday. I hate climax."

"That's part of life."

"..."

"So what's your prediction in the Jedi match?"

"3-1 to Jedi8246."

"Me? 3-0 to Sangti."

"How? Our TWO starting strikers are no longer in the Primera Liga!"

"That doesn't mean that their quality is second tier. They will leave their clubs either if they are not loyal enough or some other clubs get interested in them. There are oil-rich clubs there."

"I see."

"..."

"I think there is one thing that we can agree to."

"What?"

"German-Spanish Empire will be demolished tomorrow."

"Lel."
Last edited by Sangti on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
THE ROYAL UNION OF SANGTI AND THE FILINDO ISLES
Region: Esportiva | Sportswire | Trigramme: TRB | Leader: TBA | Libertad Sportswear
Founder, Trofeo de Paz | Co-organizer, IUBC, International Domestic Basketball competition (with Buyan)
Winners, World Baseball Classic 29, NSCAA 6, Federation Club Cup I, Rugby Union World Cup 23 | Qualified for World Cup 68, 69 and 71
<NWW|MOC> Well, I should probably head for bead.
<+Audio> "Tuna has been extortionate since around 2007, stop complaining, jizzballs"
<SNT-FFR> Apparently, I'm not a "good" sports RPer :p
[04:20] <Glo> Ohkay...
[04:20] <Glo> So Esper is officially down
[04:20] <@commerceheights> then how are you sending this message? :P

The Sovan Antithesis
Secretary

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sovan Antithesis » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:35 am

ALL HAIL MARGRET

OK, now that our team has recited our oath, let's take a look at our schedule:

1. @ Karditan
2. Jedi8246
3. @ Saintland
4. The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
5. @Sondstead
6. Aquitayne
7. @Sangti
8. @Narsora
9. Wight
10. Karditan
11. @Jedi8246
12. Saintland
13. @The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
14. Sondstead
15. @Aquitayne
16. Sangti
17. Narsora
18. @Wight

With the oath and schedule, we now present you, the daily census ranking for our group. Today, influence.

1. Wight (57)
2. Karditan (34)
3. Jedi8246 (27)
4. Aquitayne (23)
5. Sondstead (20)
6. Saintland (15)
7. Narsora (13)
8. The Royal Kingdom of Quebec (10)
9. Sangti (9)
10. The Sovan Antithesis (6)

And the running tally (10 for first, 9 for 2nd, etc.):
1. Wight (10)
2. Karditan (9)
3. Jedi8246 (8)
4. Aquitayne (7)
5. Sondstead (6)
6. Saintland (5)
7. Narsora (4)
8. The Royal Kingdom of Quebec (3)
9. Sangti (2)
10. The Sovan Antithesis (1)
Puppet of The Sova Empire

World Cup Rank: 140th, 5.66 KPB

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:03 am

SCOTT CITY, DARMEN- As the Old Coast Boys begin their journey in the great Rushmori nation of Darmen they and the entire country are hoping it is the first step on a road leading to Pasarga and Saugeais. The draw for Carasatoga is a pleasing one, according to National Team Coach Jeffrey Sevey, "when examined closely you will see we are playing progressively easier teams, beginning with the best squad with Darmen. This will allow us to get better more easily. For an unranked nation due to our recent absence on the world stage, we couldn't have asked for a better draw or schedule."
The absence Sevey is speaking of is the years Carasatoga was forced to forgo international sporting competitions due to the rebellions in the west. The government has put a stop to the dissenters, and peace has resumed once more. With the uprising settled, the Old Coast Nation can once again look forward to the world stage, and try to qualify for the nation's first World Cup. It will be an arduous task, to begin by playing the group favorites, Darmen, away. This will be difficult for the boys in the purple and gold, but not impossible.
Leading the way this cycle is the Sevey family, with Jeffrey Sevey leading the team to glory and his sons continuing to shine for their country. Others to watch for in the coming weeks are the Meyers twins, who make up the Carasatogan front row, as well as our world-class defensive line, including David Christ, Carasatoga's most-notable non-domestic player who makes his living in Kagdazka and Pazhujebu.
Everyone will be glued to their televisions with bated breath tonight as Darmen entertains the Hawks in Scott City in a sure-to-be classic for both nations.
The Carasatoga Authority Republic
Demonym: Carasatogan || Population: 32,526,307 || Trigramme: CRG || Located: Rushmore

Champions: U-18 IBC 1, Women's Soccer World Cup I
Runners-Up: Volleyball World Expo I, II & VI, West Guiana Softball Invite II
3rd Place: World Softball Classic, Saugeais Baseball Tournament, Volleyball World Expo III & IV, Beaver Cup, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos
Hosted: IBC IX, Volleyball World Expo I, II, III & VI, World Indoor Soccer Championship 1, U-18 IBC 1, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos

Rankings:
Football: NR Basketball: 26 Baseball: 50 Beach Soccer: 54 Ice Hockey: NR
Indoor Soccer: 10 Lacrosse: 46 Soccer: NR Softball: 3 Volleyball: 3

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Andossa Se Mitrin Vega » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:03 am

The World Cup. How illusive is that Title? Champions? Mot of strive to simply come close. Put in a good showing. Make a solid run. That is truly the goal. How insane one must be to truly set their goal as to be lifting the trophy and claiming the Championship. Somebody get us the white jackets with all the buckles because we have set our sights on dethroning Audioslavia and claiming the most glorious prize in all of sports.

For the second time in their history, the Sea Dragons have clawed their way to the number two ranking in international football and after the debacle that was that attempt the side is out to prove the high status is deserved. With an experienced roster and a shiny, new stadii to show off, look for these qualifiers to be a statement to the rest of the contenders that the Sea Dragons are out to be the best squad in the world.

Notable fixtures in the first half:
MD1: The Glorious Commune. Opening the new stadium means that this one will be loud and crazy. Perhaps that is a good thing as we cant really tell if they field one player or eleven. One thing is certain, the tree-like entity will be hard to net goals against so we may just have to chop off some damn limbs.
MD2: Mapletish. The 2nd seed in the group and Rushmori natives pose a solid threat. Their “The Leones Da Spectrum” formation and the way it flexes closely resembles our own “Tidal Surge”. We have to be patient and make the most of our chances in this one.
MD3: Maklohi Vai. In the last qualifiers we didn’t face a defensive side until the knockout rounds of the Cup Proper. These guys have stolen points from us before. As our first away fixture, we have to be wary of these islanders. Time to exact a bit of revenge.
MD4: Free South Califas. Another defensive side though one that has not seemed to find any real consistency. They bear watching but should pose more of a threat for the second spot in the group.
MD5: Barunia. World Cup 64 Cinderella hopeful. They had a solid run and almost managed to crack the Cup Proper. Almost. And this is World Cup 65. The new car smell has worn off and the slipper wont fit this time.
Champions: AORBC II (Women's Champs); AOHC IV; Cup of Harmony 44, 49, & 54; Baptism of Iron VBrevity Challenge Cup 3
2nd Place: WC64
3rd Place: WC59; WC61WC65
WC Quarterfinals- 53,58,60
Qualified for WC Proper - 27,28,29,30,53,54,56,58,59,60,61,63,64,65
Host: Draggonnii Inviyatii; BoF 17 ; World Bowl XII; BoF43 (with K&P);World Cup 58 (with QPeMA)World Cup 61 (with Valanora)

AO is, as they say, THE PLACE.
Those of you whom we consider friends and respect here on NS are welcome to join us on FB. Simply TG me and We will set it in motion.

Barunia
Minister

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Barunia » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 am

The man stood on the pitch of United Stadium, looking at the newly built stand. In 24 hours this place would be filled with thousands of screaming fans, but today it is silent. Quiet, serene, an almost anticipatory stillness. The man breathed deep, as if to fill his lungs with the atmosphere. Then he began to run. From goal to goal he ran, and then back, sprinting, pushing his body to the limit. He could fill the blood pumping through his body, his lungs straining for air. He was lost in the moment, the joy of running, of pushing himself, of freedom. He crossed the goal line and paused, taking a moment to regain his breath, hands on his knees. He looked down beyond his hands, where his legs should have been. Instead two pieces of moulded plastic reached from his knees to the floor, hiding the prosthetic limbs encased within. He grinned. It had been a long time since he could run, certainly since he'd been able to cover any great distance. As he turned to continue his exercise, he was called from the stands. "Joric!" Turning, Joric saw the Suns head coach. "Training is about to start. You ready?"

Later that evening...
There is silence as the producer holds his hand up, looking at his watch. Five seconds, four. He holds up three fingers, and slowly lowers them one by one. When the last one drops, dramatic music fills the studio. Behind the desk, the host looks at the camera, pretending he's been caught chatting to his co-host. Smiling as the final bars of the introduction fade away, he begins to read the lines from the auto-cue.

DS: Hello and welcome to BNN Sports Live, the show that brings you all the sporting action from around the nation and the globe. I'm Dan Sullivan, and I'm joined this week by rally driver Lucas Barrett and former International footballer Joric Ruskin. Hi guys, good to have you on the show.

LB: Hi Dan, great to be here. Looking forward to it.

DS: Ok, well before we talk about local sport and the West Barunia Rally Lucas, let's talk international sport. It's football time again, with qualifiers for World Cup 65 kicking off tomorrow. The BFA announced a full squad at the eleventh hour, Joric talk us through it.

JR: Sure thing Dan. As you say it was a vey late announcement. The BFA had a shortlist of players which they intended to cut down to twelve places following a three-game series against the Sova Empire, but due to circumstance beyond the control of either association they where unable to get to the country, so they played against a Suns best eleven instead.

DS: And remarkably, the results from that three-match series where 1-0, 3-3, and 5-5, getting progressively better and with the Suns just taking the one win over Barunia "B". What's more, we did eventually get to the Sova Empire and play our matches. No-one scored in the first match, then the hosts won the next two games 1-0 and 4-1.

JR: The Suns best eleven team is made up of the eleven players who were part of the original starting line-up for the WC 64 campaign, all of who will return for 65. A lot of the old reserves are back, including Danil Samson, who played the Baptism of Fire and the Cup of Harmony, but not the World Cup itself.

LB: There's not too many new faces, I think there where only about three players who haven't played before.

JR: Four, if you include Damien Crook. He's played for the Suns in friendlies and small competitions, but never a major tournament. He's a quality player though, and has the advantage of being able to play as a defender or a midfielder. West Bay's deadly duo, Johan Marris and John Haynes both got call ups, hopefully they'll add to our attack.

DS: We certainly had high hopes for them in the Champion's League, but West Bay finished mid-table. Strangely, the BFA have only picked one player from league winners Edwardton.

LB: Yep, Billy Meyer joins the team as third goalkeeper. let's face it, he's not likely to get much game time, as Forrest is likely to replace Willans when needed.

DS: Ok, well that's our team, but what about our opponent? Kitty Smith was at the draw earlier in host nation Pasarga, and I spoke to her earlier.

The camera switches off for a second, as the pre-recorded segment is played to the live audience, the viewers at home seeing it direct
KS: Hi there, I'm Kitty Smith, reporting from Pasarga, where the group draws are about to take place. Let's see who we'll be facing.
A montage is shown, with several nations being drawn. It is clear that this segment has been edited down for time. A voiceover is heard reading out the names of the nations as they are drawn. Then the voiceover says "Barunia!", and Kitty returns to the screen.
KS: And there we are, in Group 4! We join the German American States and the Glorious Commune so far in the group.

DS: This will be the second World Cup campaign for the G.A.S, having participated in the fifty-first Baptism of Fire along with Barunia, they're currently ranked 227th in the world. The Glorious Commune on the other hand are late sign-ups to this world cup and missed the Baptism of Fire, so they enter without any prior experience and are unranked.

KS: While you were talking Dan, Mantwenic, Tailsprower and Free South Califas where all drawn into group 3.

DS: Free South Califas are of course a familiar nation around the sporting world, and are ranked higher than Barunia at 72. I don't have any information on the other nations, other than to say that Mantwenic are ranked at 192 and TailsPrower are far down the list at 315.

KS: Miyuziki were just drawn and who else ...

DS: Kitty, you still there?

KS: Shit. This is bad. This is really bad.

DS: What happened? Please tell me we didn't draw Audioslavia.

KS: No, but just as bad. Andossa Se Mitrin Vega.

DS: Shit. World number two, last cup's runner-ups and if I recall correctly they conceded a mere two goals in the 64 qualifiers. Quite frankly, Audioslavia would have been preferable to facing these guys.

KS: Well that's it, and to round out the group we have two more strong teams in Maplitesh and Maklohi Vai. Both of who are ranked higher than Barunia.

DS: That's right, 33 and 57 respectively. Thanks Kitty, its now time to go back to the studio.
The cameras come back on, and Sullivan turns to his co-hosts, shuffling papers in his hands.
DS: Not too bad a group for the Suns, but just that one nigh-impossible hurdle that is ASMV. Before we have to face them though, the Suns take on Mantwenic at United Stadium. Predictions?

LB: It will be close, but I'd say a win or at least a draw for the Suns.

JR: Mantwenic have been around for a while, but they haven't qualified since WC 55. They play a fairly unimaginative 4-3-3 formation, and I think we'll have the better of them on the day.

DS: Don't forget, you can catch all the action here live on BNN Sports Live. Right now, let's cross to Windy Bluff, where the 9th round of the Porthaven Sailing Regatta is taking place.
Head of Dipomacy for the Union of Red Nations
Join the URN! A place for all communists, socialists, and left-wing nations.
I use my factbook!

Officially jolly good sporting chaps! Winners of the 2nd Chap Olympiad! (As MCSA)

Football
Baptism of Fire 51: Quarter-finalists
Cup of Harmony 62 & 64: Runner-ups
Qualified for World Cup 67,68,73,74,75

Rugby Union World Cup 25 - Third Place

Hosts of the 4th T20 Cricket World Cup
Third Place in the 4th T20 Cricket World Cup

Hosts of the Celebration of Field Hockey

Board Member of the World Calvinball Federation

Rugby World Cup 26 Champions
Author of Issue #604

The Kytler Peninsulae
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2011

Postby The Kytler Peninsulae » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:25 am

Any team featuring the Euran league's former international player of the year, and long-time prolific goalscorer, Guy Stamp ought to be seen as a real threat way beyond the pesky label "UR," for "unranked," that dogs the Kytlerians.

This is a side who effectively lack anything else.

Years of isolation, and a feeble domestic league, has created major difficulties for the team. Whilst teams have returned from exile to great success - Audioslavia winning two World Cups in a row post-exile having found the title elusive previously - they have generally been in stronger positions than this. The World Cup has also seen an unprecedented period of growth, causing even more difficulties for teams to re-emerge.

Then again, the Kytlerians seem to thrive on being unheralded. In the pre-isolation years, the Kytlerian lacrosse team won eight games in a row on their debut in the World Lacrosse Championships en route to the quarter-finals, then took the title on home soil at only the second attempt. Both baseball and cricket teams won their first ever matches, in each case against one of the top teams in the world. Above all, a hurriedly assembled Olympic delegation were the second most successful Rushmori team in Lasft, setting expectations that were not met in Emberton in the next Games. The lower the expectations, the higher the Kytlerians seem to thrive. A nation of eleven million people seem to revel in their underdog status.

Is that necessarily true anymore, though? Pieter-Jan van der Capellen is disproving it at one end of the scale; he, and his EastWest Energy team-mates, were expected to be right amongst the favourites in the World Tour of Cycling, but even these expectations have been exceeded, with "VDC" leading the general classification standings and two of his colleagues in third and fourth. Conversely, the soccer team in years gone by were never expected to do much - and never did.

This is a rebuilding effort, to put it mildly. The median age of the squad is 22, and there are eight teenagers, including 16-year-old prodigy Himi Heke Henare, one of two aboriginals expected to dominate the midfield in the future alongside 20-year-old holding midfielder and physical beast Pitama Pongia. The diversity merely begins there, although the array of names suggests even more than actually exists given the presence of players from multiple white-European backgrounds; notable, however, is Davor Miani-Pipi, born to a white mother and an aboriginal father, who will probably line up alongside Stamp up front this time around and be his long-term replacement thereafter. Watch out, too, for Kári Finnbogisson, the first Kytlerian international sportsperson of non-binary gender. They - singular - can be expected to field a string of media questions they would much rather not have to, but must be seen as one to watch on the field. "I'm human, after all, and some players in the World Cup are not even that, so I am not the strangest opponent by a long, long way," they told one TV interviewer last week. They will probably be competing with Mike van Dijk for the sweeper role in the middle of the 5-3-2 formation the Kytlerians are expected to use.

Rumours continue to persist as to the availability of Dean Wickens. The Eura-based defender and former war hero is immensely popular, but planned international retirement having seen a renaissance in form during the international isolation years. Fans are urging him to reconsider. "He has always stood for his country in their time of need," pointed out Roddy Cannon, the former military general who briefly managed the Kytlerian national team. "I would say this is a time of need too, looking at the weakness of the other Kytlerian players." However, with Arthur Moon - the other Kytlerian abroad still thriving - in the prime of his career, there would appear to be no room for Wickens in the 5-3-2. Many have called for a 5-4-1 to accommodate Wickens, but this seemingly modest tactical debate has turned into a political firestorm, with some on the left claiming this is the product of "creeping militarism" in the country. The May Day holiday has already been replaced with Armed Forces Day, celebrated in mid-May. "The calls for the team to be rearranged to fit Wickens are being made by conservatives," said Teodorico Garat, the chief spokesperson for the anti-racist campaign group One Kytlerian Nation, "and the tactical change required would not coincidentally restrict Miani-Pipi to a substitute role, when he is expected to be hugely influential for the team in the future. It's short-sighted, it's through rose-tinted glasses, and frankly it's fairly obvious what kind of country they want the team to personify." The debate has even reached the floor of the Kytlerian Federal Assembly, with Senator Roy Goulding (NUP-Varn*) accusing Garat of "ludicrous arguments" to oppose the selection of "one of only three proven players available to (Kytlerian manager) Tim van Dien."

"I will not be drawn on the furore over Dean," van Dien told a press conference yesterday. "Clearly, Wickens' experience would be valuable; clearly, we need to look to the future too. Let's take the poison and politics out of this - ultimately, he's only going to be useful if we have a four-man midfield with Moon down the left, because that's the only way he fits in. Of course, I would like the flexibility of going 4-4-2 or 5-4-1 as well as the 5-3-2 I have used before, but if Wickens is unavailable, and as far as anyone knows at the moment that is the case, then (Calvin) Yule gives us that option too, or we can play a diamond midfield. If he is available, I will pick him for the squad, and he will be considered in the usual way. Is that hard to understand?"

Apparently yes, as the arguments have raged on in pretty much exactly the same way ever since.

* OOC: NUP = National Unity Party, the Kytlerian centre-right party, currently controlling both houses of the Federal Parliament. Varn is the most conservative of the eleven Kytlerian states (counting the two city-states of Zube and Kytler Bay City).
Last edited by The Kytler Peninsulae on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out of international isolation and... winning things? Huh?

Host: World Lacrosse Championship 13, Baptism of Iron X, 7th World Championships of Babbage Rules Football, and Games of the IX Olympiad.

Won: World Lacrosse Championship 13, Elephant Chess Cup 7, and Memorial Cup. Also top of the medals table at the Games of the IX Olympiad (24 gold, 63 total medals).
World Lacrosse Championship 12 and World Bowl 47 quarter-finalists, World Bowl XV and World Baseball Classic 20 octo-finalists
28 medals, 10 gold, at Games of the VI Olympiad (13th in medal table)
7 medals, 5 gold, at VII Olympic Winter Games (7th in medal table)
26 medals, 10 gold, at Games of the VIII Olympiad (9th in medal table)

Kalusia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalusia » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:15 pm

The Kalusian team has arrived in Leorudo for the first ever match in the World Cup. After a rather disappointing exit in the Baptism of Fire, beaten by the eventual runner-up Felix with 3-0, the Golden Stripes have great confidence in a respectable debute in the World Cup. Since the loss against Felix, Gôspo Srêdonâ has been pushing coach Mobinôs into giving him a few minutes on fields, as he started out on the field in the first few matches the Golden Stripes played, but after a quick field remaster he hasn't started on the field, and some matches not even played!
However, Mobinôs is known for his stubbornness, and Srêdonâ isn't expected to start. Since the knockout in the BoF, the Kalusians have not left the region, since the first qualifying match is in the same region, not that far even, from Legalese, where the last match was played. Though Kalusia is not by anyone expected to qualify, Mobinôs is looking forward to getting a few points in their reasonably strengthy group.
A Lons puppet. Mainly used for puppety stuffs.

The Icemark
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Lonely Multiverse Part I

Postby The Icemark » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Its been eight years since The Icemark last played an international match. A 4-0 defeat to Wight, in a dreadful and winless Cup Of Harmony campaign that all but forced the national side to disband and commit itself to a self-imposed unofficially exile.
Now The Icemark are back. The league has been restructured and has been successful for what it is, 16 teams playing on random, boggy fields up and down the country. But thanks to the new league The Icemark now have the players to reform an international side. Are these ameteurs international quality? It's debatable, but beggers can't be choosers.
Odin's Hall, the only stadium in the country has been redeveloped into if not a world class facility then an acceptable one, largely thanks to Kahin Darius, the richest person in The Icemark (even richer than the king). Her donations have also helped paved the way for a kit deal with Kirola Sportswear.
The Icemark have been drawn into Group 17, and whilst they know they are technically the worst team in the group, they are confident they can avoid the unenviable prospect of finishing with the wooden spoon. Of course they arn't going to be a match for Apox, Antoletia, Vettera and the like, but a few victories against the likes of Penileanium and Free Swiss States will be an acceptable return to the international stage. (Article continued after advertisment...)

"One of the best travel guides I have read"
The Frostmarris Tribune

Out now in all good book stores!

"It inspires you to visit these places"
The Learton Times

"Lonely Multiverse guides are, quite simply, like no other!"
The Pendris Herald

It couldn't get any tougher for The Icemark than their opening day opponents as they visit group favourites The Sylvanaes Queendom. Of course The Icemark have fond memories of their only other encounter with this nation; the day when they gained their biggest scalp in their short history. It was their first cycle of international football, and The Icemark had just scrapped through the Cup Of Harmony group stage. Being drawn against The Sylvanaes most expected them to fall, but a defensive masterclass saw The Icemark battle their way to an extra time victory.
Of course times have changed. Since then The Icemark have fallen off the face of international football and the Sylvanaes have got stronger, even reaching a World Cup Final (of course they lost that 7-0, but we won't go into that).
The Icemark know they have to start from the bottom of the food chain once again, and that means they will have to accept that games like these are beyond them. The Sylvanaes by the laws of normality will run out comfortable winners by a large margin. It may only be the first match, but frankly already this is one The Icemark can afford to lose - they after all have set their sights set much lower.
Match Prediction: The Sylvanaes Queendom 4 - 0 The Icemark

Shadowbourne
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowbourne » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:45 pm

"...and now over to Marissa, with our sports report of the day. Marissa?"

"Yes, hi Jim. I'm here with a very special guest today: Shadowbournean national team head coach Lukasz Kellner. Lukasz, what are your thoughts on this year's World Cup squad?"

"Well, Marissa, I am very confident in our abilities, and I feel that if we play to our potential, we have the opportunity to be very..."

Kellner is cut off mid-sentence by the jolting sound of gun shots ripping through the air.

*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*

Several tense seconds sit by. Millions of shocked citizens sit in their homes in shock, fearing the worst.

*BOOM*

A deafening blast rips through the air, throwing the cameraman to the ground an sending his camera skittering across the pavement. Lukasz and Marisa's limp bodies can be seen lying in front of the camera. Neither appear to be breathing.

Several masked men can be seen in the background dragging away dead bodies. The cameraman's hand reaches desperately across the screen, groping for the camera, only to be stepped on be crushed under a steel-toed boot.

*CRACKLE*

"Move out of the way, fatass!"

One of the asked men seen earlier in the background steps in front of the camera, sidestepping carefully around Lukasz and Marisa's bodies.

"This is Vince McPhereson, founder and chairman of the eco-terrorist group EARTH*. We are here to put an end to the evil ways of modern-day media. These scum are destroying both our lives and our environment in front our very own eyes! They must be stopped!"

McPhereson takes a deep breath, desperately trying (and failing) to keep his cool.

"This is the first of several attacks against major media set to take place over the next few days. We will initiate additional contact through the internet after the final attack has been carried out. Please stand by."

Millions of Shadowbournean citizens continues to stare on in shock, wondering what their great nation could have done to deserve such horrid events.
*Environmentalist Assholes Raging To Be Heard

Demonym: Bournean || Trigramme: SDB || Population: 147,129,762 || Telephone Code: +817 || TLD: .sdb

3rd Place: WKC IV
2nd Place:
None
1st Place: None
NSTracker | Embassy Program | Factbook
This nation represents 75% of my real-life views.

Valanora
Senator

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valanora » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:42 pm

"Is this the Vegan's last chance you think?"

"How do you mean?"

"Well, she did help guide the Marauders to a title as well as another Final appearance. Yet it seems like she has lost her way since then, many unexpected early outings and very poor performances, relatively mind you, in the qualification and group stages. It just seems like the tactical advantages she had and brought to the side might have been found out."

"I suppose there is a bit of truth in that, but no one could have guessed that after so many years and failures, that Audioslavia would have become this championship juggernaut. Plus you have to remember that form is fleeting, it is with you on one day but entirely abandons you the next."

"I will give you that but we never faced the 'slavs in that time. While the level of talent constantly ebbs and flows for mortals, you can not say that the team that we never played has been part of the unraveling of the woman. She has had her time and it was a good run, but I think that the game is now past her and we should move on soon if we wish to maintain championship aspirations."

"Perhaps you are right on all fronts. I say we give her this cycle to prove her mettle once more. Apart from Audioslavia, there is no team out there that is out and out better than the rest of the upper echelon of squads. If she were combination once more, what is to stop us once more from rising to the top and becoming champions?"

"From what I can tell, a lack of drive from the very players we are used to seeing push the side forward. Tactical incompetence that have the players found out at the worst possible moments. And last but not least, the inability for us to groom a seemingly decent backline and keeper to make the stops that are needed to win a title."

"You look through gloom and doom glasses. Every Cup is a new opportunity, I shan't be persuaded against that with your bleak outlook."
World Cup 40, 42, 43, 52, & 61 Champions
WC 47, 51, 94 (2nd), WC 34, 38, 39, 41, 44, 45, 53, 60, 67, 92 (3rd), WC 49, 58, 87, 90 (Semifinalist), WC 33, 35-37, 46, 48, 54, 55, 62, 63, 65, 72, 83, 85, 86, 88, 91 (Quarterfinalist)
WCoH VII, VIII, XVII, XXVIII, XXX, XXXII (1st), WCoH I, XXXI, XL (2nd), WCoH II, XXIX (3rd), WCoH XII (4th)
AOCAF 44, 46, 51, 53, 65, 68 Champions, AOCAF 39, 43, 55, 59, 64 Runners Up
Co-Hosted: too many events to count

EPL Season 20,073

I am that which I am and choose to be.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Tommy's Blog

Hello! As you know, Murvin is on death row and will be executed in a month. Sad, yes very, but he said that I could take over the blog for him. So if you don't know already, I'm David Alexander, Murvin's brother, and I'll be covering the Blue Birds' run in World Cup 65. Although we may be ranked 211th, that doesn't put us as the lowest ranked in Group Nineteen with the exception of UR teams. How about we just skip right into a breakdown of the Blue Birds group? Let's go!

So Vilita is the top ranked team in Group Nineteen, so they're our toughest opponent. We play them on MD7 and MD16, forst at home and then at Vilita. We have a slight chance at winning, if they're bluffing. Probably not, but maybe, let's just hope. Kinitaria is second highest ranked in Group Nineteen at 44th. A better chance at winning against them, our 5-3-1-1 formation will be helpful in big games like this. Mashiki, ranked 46th, is of course an easier win for us if our top players can pull through in games like this as well as run the formation well. On the topic of players, it's great to see we have a few females on the team. Gender-equality is on the rise in Torisakia these days, no problem with it. Just can't make lewd comments about them and end up like Murvin. But that's nothing to talk about right now, it'd be too sad, and by that I mean sad for you all. Anyways, we have some talented players on the team. Make sure to look out for Harley and Alexis, heard they were elite players last season.

Moving on, Slembana is rank 76th in Group Nineteen. They've been pretty good the past few years and it'll be greta to see how they fair against the Blue Birds. Expect this one to be close, if not, a draw of some sorts. Shadowbourne, 108th ranked, is fairly new to Torisakia so they shouldn't be too much of a competition. This will be a much easier win for the Blue Birds, so don't expect a loss too much. Kalumba is 143th, a lot closer to Torisakia's 211th ranking, so again expect an easy win but never rule out a loss. Speaking of losing, let's hope that we have a winning record this time. The past few runs, we've had an awful W-D-L. I'm just hoping our players don't fuck up everything and give up big opprotunities on offense and defense. Maybe Will Owens won't be too horrible at GK, maybe he can stop most of the kicks, maybe kicks to the head. A kick to the head sounds bad. Let's not let that happen, okay?

Anyways, Lahoa shouldn't be too much of a challenge. If we never hear anything from them, we shouldn't lose to them. But I'm sure we will, you know how we like to screw things up. Arkolon is just like Lahoa, they should be an easy target. Again, we can never rule out a loss, but we can;t rule out a win. It could go either way, but the majority of the way should go to the WIN option. Finally, Kizzyboi, the newcomer, should be a win regardless. Minus the ghetto-sounding name, they seem like a bad team. Maybe they think they won't need to try and they'll give everything up, only a few people can hope.

So we play our first match against Slembana tonight, time for our star players to step up. Who will win? Probably Slembana...

Comments:
1. wally: I miss Murvin....but David will do.
2. soccerhead23: Looks like we have no chance at all. I knew this was a bust...
3. penut: Why does this post seem like it degrades us
4. loila99: Are you sure these wins will be easy?
5. Ripp: "ghetto-sounding name" LOL
6. Netwise: These wins won't all be easy, David sucks at blogging...
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:08 pm

It was the second Gardiner-Stewart Cup, a tournament between the Licentian Islands and Wight (and originally Yesopalitha), dedicated to the memory of Alex Gardiner-Stewart, the Licentian goalkeeper who had lost his life in a plane crash of St Thomas' Cove eight years ago. So, was it strange that I was in the crowd, watching the game at the North Lawn in Spit ??

Let me explain. I'm Alex Gardiner-Stewart, and I'm not really dead. The majority of the world believes that I am, apart from the nation of Wight, where I have lived for the last eight years, and a few of my friends back home; namely, the team from World Cup 61, and the co-managers from then, Nathan (who is my dad) and Luke. I haven't seen any of them since then and I'm missing them really. I only realise it at times like this, when I see them from afar.

I'd come to the game because I thought it was a good idea. I hadn't had the chance to go to the first Cup, and I wanted to see what they did to commemorate my death; well, not really, but, you know what I mean. I don't know, this death thing is bloody confusing, it really is...

Anyway, when I went to the game, I saw an announcement that would change my life for the first time since... well, since the last time, really. The Duke of Montfort came out, like he always does at events like this, and announced that the Royal Licentian Football Association would be putting a player forward for entry to the World Cup Hall of Fame after this cup, and that there was a shortlist of five names. Apparently, I'm one of them.

I don't quite know why. I was never that good as a keeper; I was alright, but never as good as people believed I was. I think the only reason they put me up for it was because of my "death"; Luke, who I still keep in touch with, was saying that I'm kind of a cult figure back home nowadays. I've never quite understood the people who follow me like some people used to, and apparently, some still do; it just seems a bit weird to me. I'm not a god; I'm not even all that good. I'm just an alright footballer.

I'm going to find Bua, wherever he is. Say goodbye to Wight for a little while, and rope Old Shakersson into taking me back. I need to go home, see my dad and the rest of the guys, and head to this ceremony in Montfort for the Hall of Fame induction. If I've won it, the best thing to do would be to go back, and scare people a bit. Pick up the award myself. Explain what's gone on, and then maybe try and persuade some people to come back with me. I don't suspect it'll work, but I might as well try.

Oh, and for those of you who are interested (which I don't suppose is many; I'm probably the only person who will ever read this), I quite enjoyed the game. Cleve Scrivenore scored a great goal for Wight in the first half, only for Logan Moran to cancel it out in the second. Because Wight won the last one, they retained it; I didn't know quite who to support in the game, what with Wight being my adoptive home, so I was quite happy with the draw. It meant I didn't have to decide on cheering at the final whistle, which was good.

Anyway, I'd better be off. I need to find Bua, and let him know of my intentions.
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Sondstead
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sondstead » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Stasjonhus Kruh pub
Near North Station, Nortpalas krets, Windstrand City
7:00, Evening of 17 June 2013

17 June was a beautiful evening in Windstrand; a warm evening but not too hot, and completely cloudless. The shimmers of the early summer sun still lingered overhead as the business of the day started coming to a close and the pubs and restaurants began filling up with people.

The Stasjonhus Kruh (simply meaning "Station House Pub" in Sondsteadish) is something of an institution in the neighborhood, and over five decades of growing urbanization and changing demographics since it opened in the late 1950s, it has retained the distinct character of a classical Sondsteadish pub, albeit adapted for changing tastes. You'd certainly never have found couscous there fifty years ago, for one.

"I'll take my usual. It's good to be back."

"Back from the BoF, Älex! How was it?"

"Oh, it was fun. Hey, you want to hear this story?"

The bartender's interest was piqued. Älex Kristofssunr was a regular at the pub and he knew him well. The man had a strange knack for finding himself inadvertently a bystander to happenings.

"Go on."

"Alright. So it's the first day of the round of sixteen—"

"The game against Metropolis Mania? Great game of football. Had never heard of the country though, you?"

"Don't know a bloody thing about them, but yeah, that name sounds right. And a bloody good match, I agree. So I'm this city in Legalese, Plainview, and I've already spent a ton of krone̊n getting to Atlantian Oceania, trekking all over Kinitaria and then going to Legalese, so I spring for the cheapest hotel I could find. Kilometres away from the stadium, pretty dingy place, not mention the taxi drivers charged an arm and a leg to get down to the stadium. So after the match I look around for a pub near the hotel and find this place, bit rough atmosphere, and I sit down and say I want whatever's good on tap and a sandwich."

"Just 'a sandwich'?"

"I don't even remember. I think I pointed at something someone else had that looked good and said 'I want one of these'."

"So what was it?"

"Bloody hell, I don't remember. Anyway, so I look at the guy sitting on my other side and I swear he looks familiar. So my beer and sandwich come out and I'm eating, but it just keeps bothering me. So turn to him and say 'Hey, you know the Sondsteadish player, the defender, László Agócs? The Hungarian guy? I swear you kind of look like him, or maybe that's just the beer talking.' So he just bursts out laughing and says 'That's me!'. No idea why he was all the way out there though. We were a ways way from the nice hotels and such. So we talk for a bit, he just seems like a good guy."

Älex paused as the bartender handed him a tall glass of bear and a sausage sandwich piled high with cabbage, which he eagerly tore into.

"Oh, and there was this girl sitting with him—"

"Giaň? That's his fiancée's name, right. Filomena Giaň or something."

"No, no, some blonde groupie who was flirting a bit with him, hanging on his right arm. Name was Jäsmin or something. Probably drunk I guess. He was taking it with good humour though. She just kept at it and he looked super uncomfortable about it but didn't say anything, so I blurt out 'hey girl, the man's engaged!' We all had a good laugh over that."

"Don't think his fiancée would if she'd been there.". Älex chuckled in response.

"So the World Cup then.", the bartender continued. "You plan on traveling to follow that too? That was the plan right?"

"Ha, I wish. Just the BoF trip burned through money like you wouldn't believe. I'll stick with catching a home game or two."
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
Fartsniffage wrote:Poor analogy. A better one would be a high school american football team approaching a couple of kids quietly reading/writing during lunch hour, telling them to play with them and then stamping on their books/notepads if they refuse.

All with the teacher watching on from the sidelines nodding in approval.

Visit Sondstead at : IIWiki (related articles) : Embassy Program
Commerce : KMF Automobile : Nörditser Windstrand International Airport

Follow SRR Sondstead World – Your Window on Sondstead

Karditan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2011

Postby Karditan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 pm

"Hey, Silveen. Why aren't you out at practice?" Dust Pan trotted into his boss' personal study, which overlooked the bustling streets of Fillydelphia.

Karditan's greatest businessman and tech wizard was hunched over a small laptop, eyes glued to a spreadsheet his head janitor couldn't make heads or tails of. "Because I don't play anymore. Haven't for a while. But you do. What are you doing here?"

"Well, there's a bit of an... altercation going down at the field, and a voice of reason would be helpful."

Silveen pinched the bridge of his nose, pushing his glasses up. "What is it now?"

"It's the new guy. Uh... what's his name, again?"

"Dick."

"Oh, right, Richard. He doesn't like what Carnac is telling him about 'a striker's defensive responsibilities.'" Silveen slowly pulled off his glasses, gently setting them down beside the laptop, and pushed himself up. Dust smiled and took a step back to the door. "So you'll talk some sense into him?"

"No." Silveen wandered over to the window and looked down at the streets below. "I just need a break from that tiny screen. I'm preoccupied with something far more important than some arrogant bastard not wanting to run backfield. Just tell Morrgo to roar a little and get him in line."

"Uh..." Dust started to sweat a little at the thought of telling an eight-foot-tall bear what to do. That generally doesn't end so well... if you weren't wearing armor, at least. "I'll get Xavier on that. But what's so important that you can't make time for the team, with qualifiers starting soon?"

"Something is wrong. Something is really, really wrong." Silveen returned to the laptop and tapped a few keys, bringing up a Karditani map with various regions differently colored. He pointed at the north-eastern corner, which was a deep red. "Saxet has gone completely dark. Internet outages are relatively common there, as the sandstorms tend to interfere with the signals, but this is the first time since we first launched telecommunication satellites that we can't call them. The satellites all seem to be functioning fine, and they're all in place... but the signal just doesn't seem to be reaching Saxet. It's like they've just disappeared."

Dust trotted closer and peered at the screen. "That's... weird. And worrying. What about Kornsas City?" He pointed at a slightly lower region, which was a dark orange. "They're orange. What's that mean?"

"We have been in contact with them. Some calls go through, but some don't, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. The calls that do go through also randomly drop without warning. The most concerning thing is that they say nothing seems out of the ordinary on their side. The weather is fine--or at least as good as you can expect in this country, all the infrastructure is undamaged... there's no reasonable explanation for this."

"This... is over my head." Dust shook his head to clear his mind, and started for the door. "I can't help with that, so I'll leave you to it. I'll go see... uh... what did I come in here for? Oh, right, I'll go try and sort that Richard situation out."

Silveen sighed and put his glasses back on. "If only my problems were that easy."
Champions: -n/a-
Runner-up: BoF 46; WBXX
Qualified for WC63
Hosted: WBXX; WBXL
<Audio> I'm singling out Karditan for reasons that should be fucking obvious after the past twelve months
<Karditan> Sssshh, some people haven't caught onto our man love, Audio.
<Audio> I'm drunk, I'll express my manlove for whomever I damned well please
<Karditan> And now, for a stirring rendition of the Equestrian States national anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmVWvOC_2HU
<Audio> why did I even click on that?
<Nephara> why did I expect that to be
<Audio> what was I expecting?
<Nephara> anything other than it was
Nephara clears internet history

Socialist States Owen
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist States Owen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Sporadic changes formation and introduces different names, new and old, to the teamsheet
Euran's also cruise to relatively easy friendly victory against Sameba

Clint Covey reports from Aspel Dellaro, capacity 79,400, Sameba

The 65th World Cup ended in farce for Eura after a bizarre 5-2 defeat against Ko-oren. This time, Kelly Sporadic's side remain a potent attacking force but they must sort out their defence.

Knowing this, Sporadic has drafted in a number of changes to the squad. He started by naming Northbrook midfielder and Polarian title winner Tom Riley captain, and Lee Sharp as his vice captain. Daniel Belgrave and Chris Waller remain the primary goalkeepers in the squad, but Honeybadgers goalkeeper Rick Connors is dropped in favour of Atletik Thessia goalkeeper Andy Quinn. In defence, Nick Feeney and Mickey Smith retain their positions at full back - though Smith will be under a lot of pressure from the resurgent and newly tempered Colin Collymore, now a Globe Cup winner. Gareth Dawkins and Weylon Churchill remain the promising prospects at right back currently being held back by Nick Feeney, but with the retirement of Joe Arne Pizza, Preussen Kitzbuhel's new £1.5m left back Tim Curren is a surprise inclusion as third choice left back. At centre back however there are more decisive changes made to the squad. Julesk Paranaya has retired from football altogether and Ashley O'Brien has picked up a long term injury that will likely end his career at 32. As a result, Lyle Heath has finally been promoted to starting centre back - a long awaited move. Grant Townsend is still a reserve centre back, but Buschak Dassuna's improving performances for Jan Mayen Islanders with his club teammate Mickey Smith have earned him a return to the national side, hopefully as a much more mature player than he was at Bastion. Meanwhile uncapped 18 year old Craig Gilbert of Directus will have to wait for his first call up as Ryan Collins, Honeybadgers' Gold League Defender of the Year, has been given a well deserved call up to act as backup with Dassuna.

In midfield, James McCroft and Josh Stevenson have been given returns to their wing roles ahead of the Kane/Parsons partnership after they both had two good seasons - it is expected this will be the last World Cup qualifying campaign for both of these Golden Generation players. Parsons and Kane drop to backup. With Steve Thompson retired, another Ulsa attacking midfielder - Clive Dawson - has surprisingly taken over the number 8 shirt and been partnered with Tom Riley. However he has had two very good seasons and provided much service for Ulsa's strikers, and he is also now 33, meaning he probably deserves a last shot at international glory. The woeful Djourou Calaga (somehow playing in United Gordonopia) and Steven Marshall have found themselves dropped in favour of young blood; the central midfielders of the future. These are the pair of 19 year olds Gareth Blackthorn and John Spartan and 21 year old Glenn Anderson. Jim Cotterill retains his place in the place in the squad.

Up front, a new order appears to be emerging. Lee Sharp likely only has a season left in him after his season at Jan Mayen and this may well be his last shot at a World Cup, though given his previous achievements I doubt he will be too traumatized if we fail to qualify. Likewise, Sam Needle is nearing the end of his career. They both retain their starting places but in different roles, with Sharp now playing deeper as a shadow striker as his world beating pace begins to fade and Needle playing ahead of him in a centre forward role. Backup strikers Nicky Martin and Liam Carling have had another two good seasons yet they find themselves dropped, and Sam Ashtree continues to not be picked. This is unfortunate for Carling and Ashtree but they have much of their careers left - Nicky Martin has now been playing behind Lee Sharp and Sam Needle for a decade though and deserves better. Simon Xavier of Revolutionaries, a good striker for Eura who never quite fufilled his potential, is being brought into the squad for likely the last time. Geoff Day has revived his career as a forward after leaving Bastion, and finds himself picked as a reward - the first time in a while. Skorji Oslograd and Sam Thomas, seemingly the future first choice front pair, retain their places and its likely Thomas will make a lot of appearances in this qualifying campaign after 59 league goals in two seasons.

Tonight however, the focus at the city of Aspel's beautiful seaside 'Dellaro' stadium was on the resumption of the formerly regular annual Euran-Sameban friendly. After the last few fixtures had been played in either Bastion or Brigham due to the impertinence of the Sameban government, the Samebans have agreed to play at home for once. There was much unrest before the match as fans clashed outside of the stadium, and the police could do little - though the Samebans have a brutal, savage government, they would not arrest their own fans instead of Eurans. Nor could they arrest Eurans when we hold the diplomatic advantage. Therefore the authorities rather belatedly simply tried to keep the fans apart through kettling, but several fights broke out and dozens of fans were injured. Finally the game could get under way in this beautiful stadium looking over the sea, as a sea of green 70,000 strong turned out to see Sameba. We of course exceeded our allocation; 9,000 Eurans packed into the ground, a smaller sea of red behind the goal in front of the south stand. Kelly Sporadic opted for a full strength lineup to start in his first Endemian derby as Eura manager, while his opposite number Elgar Derei did the same. Sameba have been rocked by a number of retirements since they last played us and before then as well, but to their credit they now have a promising series of youth prospects coming through. These include Pablo Dohi, Julius Carrera, Alan Dabix, Luis Aldardo, and Asley Vella. Significantly, most of them play in Eura like the previous generation. Fernando Valdez captained the side as usual, while Eura begin a new era under a new captain - Tom Riley.

ImageImage

SAMEBA - 2
Sarado 63
Carrera 70

EURA - 5
Dawson 25
Needle 29
McCroft 51
Day 75
Blackthorn 88

A spirited second half performance from Sameba was not enough to reverse what was a fairly inevitable win for a better Euran side. Sameba had the first real chance of the game as their fans and coach Elgar Derei urged them on from the sideline. Remarkable youngster Pablo Dohi, playing for Holdenberg and his country on the right wing, troubled Mickey Smith for much of the match and his cutting inside to shoot in the early stages was a premonition of things to come as he went close twice. Eura responded in kind with their own chances as Sam Needle drove a shot narrowly past the post. Josh Stevenson then tried to beat Roman Ayebler from a narrow angle, but the 22 year old AD Golan stopper did well to tip the ball past the post. Twenty minutes into the game the tempo of play slowed significantly; both teams ground to a halt as they probed for each others weaknesses. Suddenly though the difference in quality between the sides was illustrated by a goal for Eura caused by a Sameban mistake. Luis Aldardo attempted to clear a James McCroft corner with his head but it went straight back at Ayebler who could only parry the ball off the line. It fell straight to Clive Dawson, who lived up to the responsibility of donning that famous number 8 shirt with an easy effort from 10 yards.

Minutes later the lead was doubled as a fracas began to develop in the stand. Josh Stevenson had the ball out on the left side touchline and faced Pablo Dohi and Dario Ragili ahead of him. He eased past Dohi who failed to make a challenge but more remarkably Ragili virtually fell over as he tried to challenge Stevenson, leaving him with an easy run into the box. Stevenson could have shot and scored easily, but he unselfishly laid the ball off to Sam Needle to score. Eura continued to surge forward and Clive Dawson was unlucky not to double his tally as he struck the bar in the 40th minute. Half time gave Sameba a breather – and a lengthy one too, as half time lasted 25 minutes due to violence in the stand and flares on the pitch. After half time though business would resume as normal, because Eura scored a goal that would seemingly kill the game. Dawson, who indisputably put in a man of the match performance, was fouled 25 yards from goal by a reckless Valdez. James McCroft has been a set piece master for Eura for 15 years, and he scored one of his best on this occasion as he belted the ball over the wall and into the top right hand corner.

Somewhat surprisingly Sameba were not dead yet though, and they substituted Luka Miller and Dario Ragili while moving Luis Aldardo into defence so that they could bring on more attacking players. Patrick Hayba came on to fill the midfield gap next to Dabix as Barsa moved forward, and Julius Carrera now found himself joined up front by debutant Michael Sarado, a promising young Samebus striker. Sarado made the perfect start to his international career, bagging a superb goal against his nations fiercest rivals. Julius Carrera created it, weaving through Lyle Heath and substitute Eura debutant Tim Curren before exchanging a one two with Pablo Dohi. Dohi clipped the ball back to Carrera as he sprinted into the box, who fired across Daniel Belgrave to Sarado who sidefooted in from six yards out. Eura threw on Geoff Day for Lee Sharp who was beginning to look tired and Sameba then scored a second. Carrera had set up the first goal and deserved to get on the scoresheet himself after a good performance, and did so. Casper Constable earned a free kick just outside the box which Eye Barsa struck against the wall, but the ball fell perfectly for Carrera to fire in from 20 yards. Two superb goals had put Sameba right back in the game.

However, Eura were determined not to let Sameba draw level and almost immediately pegged the opposition back. Clive Dawson found himself in space in front of Sameba’s makeshift back three of Hamilton (who came on for Valdez), Vella and Aldardo. When 25 yards from goal he decided not to take a shot, despite not being closed down as he ran towards the box, choosing instead to toepoke the ball forward to Sam Needle. Needle turned inside Hamilton with great skill, before hammering the ball straight at Ayebler. Ayebler kept it out to his credit, but he could do nothing as Geoff Day thumped in the ball once it had been parried as Valdez and Vella reacted slowly. The game now died down a bit and Tom Riley got a standing ovation as Gareth Blackthorn came on for his long awaited debut. Like Sarado he would score on an Endemian derby debut, but even more memorable. James McCroft’s 87th minute free kick was rattled the bar and went over, and the resultant goal kick fell straight to Lyle Heath who pumped the ball up field. Josh Stevenson headed the ball down to Tim Curren who played the ball right for Blackthorn, who took the risk of shooting first time from 25 yards out. It was a good decision; Blackthorn wheeled away in delight as the ball smashed into the top left hand corner. It was game over as a confident but inexperienced Eura side saw out a potentially troublesome tie before qualifying. It was an encouraging performance for Sameba but nevertheless they remain winless against Eura in 12 games, and they now travel to Mytannion for one more friendly. They will be lucky to avoid a total demolition.

ANALYSIS

Player Ratings

SAMEBA

1. R Ayebler – 6/10
2. D Ragili – 5/10 YC (Sarado 58)
6. A Vella – 6/10 YC
5. F Valdez - 4/10 (Hamilton 71)
3. L Miller – 3/10 YC (Hayba 56)
7. P Dohi – 8/10
4. L Aldardo – 5/10 YC
8. A Dabix – 6/10
10. E Barsa – 7/10
11. C Constable – 6/10 YC
9. J Carrera – 7/10

Substitutes

13 - S Cairney
15 - S Hamilton – 6/10
17 - L Andetel
18 - G Brassle
16 - P Hayba – 4/10
14 - R Lachland
12 - M Sarado – 8/10

EURA

1. D Belgrave – 6/10
2. N Feeney – 7/10 YC
4. M Robertson – 7/10
5. L Heath – 8/10
3. M Smith – 5/10 YC (Curren 45)
7. J McCroft - 8/10
6. T Riley – 7/10 (Blackthorn – 79)
8. C Dawson – 9/10
11. J Stevenson – 7/10
10. L Sharp – 6/10 (Day 68)
9. S Needle – 7/10

Substitutes

29. A Quinn
19. R Collins
28. T Curren – 6/10
18. J Cotterill
24. G Blackthorn – 8/10
25. S Xavier
30. G Day – 7/10

MoM: Clive Dawson (Eura)
Attendance: 79,292

Possession
SAM - 39 % 61 - EUR
Shots
SAM - 12 18 - EUR
On Target
SAM - 6 10 - EUR
Corners
SAM - 6 8 - EUR
Pass Completion
SAM - 64 % 80 - EUR
Fouls
SAM - 27 15 - EUR
---NOTE--- Do not use my nation name. In RP, my nation is known simply as Eura, denonym Euran.
World Cup 60 Runner Up
Cup of Harmony 51 Runner Up
Market Cup I Winner
Next Generation Trophy Winner

- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=167860 Buy the MBT-8H now! The best budget MT tank!
- viewtopic.php?p=7688458#p7688458 < Awarded the prestigious Order of Beast (Second Class) by his lordship Abruzi.
- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=188514&p=10072065#p10072065 Best song ever. Of all time.

New Montreal States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby New Montreal States » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:12 pm

EIGHTEEN AND LIFE TO GO

Will the Paladins wash out in the Round of 16 or finish in third place in the group? We'll find out in eighteen matches

NEW MONTREAL - As the champagne dries and the poor stiffs from city maintenance sweep up the ticker tape from the Reformed Expos's surprise run past Milchama, Ko-oren and Sicoutimont, the Paladins will look to emulate their baseball-playing counterparts. The odds are even further stacked against them; anything can happen in baseball, not so much in soccer.

Before the Paladins can wash out in the finals, though, they have to avoid washing out in qualification. Group 7 is not particularly hostile; the headliners amongst the Paladins' opponents include a rematch with the Gunslinging Favres. The Favres have been in a bit of a funk since hosting AOCAF 38, where the Paladins edged them in the semifinals, only to be the first of many victims of Audioslavia's Golden Era. The teams have met a few times since then, most recently a narrow 2-1 win over the Favres in Capagtta, Pacitalia, during AOCAF 40 group play.

Behind them come Lymantatia, a nation last seen being forcibly helicoptered out of AO, who the Paladins have never played before. Lymantatia is on the fringes of the competiton, but have some big wins to their credit, most notably what their press described as an "ironic" defeat of Starblaydia. Which is more than the Paladins ever done, ironically or seriously.

Northern Sunrise Islands are fourth-ranked in the group. They're a vaguely attack-oriented side, they play in a large, modern stadium, and they have strong upside potential. One of these times, they'll finally break out of the pack - hopefully not against the 'States, though.

Out of the remaining nations only Kriegiersien have even announced their roster, and their flag and jerseys are two hundred forty-seven different kinds of awesome. And we haven't even gotten into their pregame drills, called "Flunky Ball" which involve a crate of schnapps, a drunken turkey and a Shyguy holding an elementary school crossing-guard's portable stop sign. These could be the most entertaining fixtures of qualifiers, especially if their coach makes good on her plans to "display [their] home strength."

Now we've reached the point in the preview column where words fail us. Timfen and the German-Spanish Empire have been perpetual also-rans in the sporting world to date, Colland ought to stick to draining pasta and typing the word "Hontaýpýar" made your correspondent's spellchecker commit hara-kiri and his keyboard spew blood all over the office rug. NMS's engineers, meanwhile, are concerned that "New Lowerlands" might run afoul of their greatest rival of all - the water table.

The Paladins will take the pitch for the first time tonight, against New Lowerlands, at the Paladin Dome. 7:30 P.M. sharp.
Last edited by New Montreal States on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WBC 26 champions!
4th place finishers, World Cup 11; 2nd place finishers World Cup 31; Cup of Harmony 53 winners
Co-hosts of World Cup 28 and Cup of Harmony 16 with The Archregimancy; co-hosts of World Cup 64 and Cup of Harmony 54 with Wight; co-hosts of Cup of Harmony 50 with Vilita

Ancharmunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancharmunn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:24 pm

The air was dank with more than a tinge of coldness to it. The plastic sheet roofing drummed along to a constant din of rain falling upon it, or at least it did where it remained. Elsewhere the water just came through and gathered itself among the platform's numerous potholes. Another train pulled in completing it's journey. Once the doors had happened the crackling intercom system was just about clear enough to make out the automated message imploring passengers to disembark at this was the end of the line. There were very few passengers still resting themselves on the battered seating within the carriage by this part of the Diagonal Line however, there never were. This simply wasn't somewhere that the numerous Ballyfeeaknock guidebooks mentioned, and more than anything it was somewhere that the city's residents did all they good to keep themselves away from.

'Welcome to Ballymytanar Central' the large sign in the centre of the platform just about read. 'Next stop – Hell' one local scamp had scrawled underneath.

It was the perfect place for one of those dark, edgy and almost eerie photo-shoots that advertisers were so fond of. Dariusz Kaczka had spent the last hour or so at the station now, doing various would really rather be anywhere else poses to advertise the latest sportswear or football boots or whatever it was his sponsors were paying him stupid money for. Part of the reason he'd so perfected the look was that he would really rather be anywhere else.

Really that, it shouldn't have been that way. Ballymytanar Central should have felt like home to him. Indeed, Ballymytanar had been his home for the first two decades or so of his life. As with the much of the local population his parents had fled something or other, war, famine, economic woes, persecution, no one really seemed to know exactly what, in Mytannion, Dariusz had been born on the journey over and had grown up in the large Mytanar slums that developed on the edge of Ballyfeeaknock.

He'd had a tough life growing up, everyone in Ballymytanar did. His family lived in poverty, generally struggling to put together the next meal. It was a common occurrence. And yet Dariusz had something uncommon, he was good at football. Not just good, plenty of the Mytanar kids in the area were good, but he was really good. Good enough to play professional, good enough to play in the National Soccer League and move away from Ballymytanar.

Yet it was hardly something that had gone done well. Many felt he couldn't wait to 'escape' Ballymytanar and leave it all behind, that he'd been too keen go and become a Charmunnry and live in one of the 'posh' parts of Ballyfeeaknock. What constituted a 'posh' part however was generally anywhere else. He'd been reminded of the feelings for him for the last hour or so. Various locals loitering around the station had hurled insults at him, 'imposter' and 'traitor' stood as the tamer ones. That he'd decided to play for Ancharmunn rather than Mytannion had rankled. Despite their parents having fled the land, most Charmunnry born Mytanars held an almost bizarre loyalty to Mytannion. Anyone who didn't was held as something of a fraud.

So Dariusz had made his bed with the Charmunnry and having to reap lying in it then? Not quite, as most of the locals of Ballymytanar had disowned him, many Charmunnry had failed to take to him. An inability to settle amongst the more native of Ancharmunn's population had already seem him play for six of the NSL's fourteen teams. By now he'd made his way to Goidelic, the most successful team in the country and had a breakthrough season, and yet there was still a sense of unease. He was clearly an enterprising talent, for club and country, but the unease remained about him, the inability of the Goidelic and now Ancharmunn fans to accept him as truly one of their own remained.

That was the paradox of Dariusz Kaczka, the Charmunnry-Mytanar who was the product of both worlds, and yet belonged in neither. In taking part in that photoshoot at Ballymytanar Station, he'd gone back to his roots, and yet never been less at home.
I'm not on the Greenwich Meridian so my time is a few seconds behind. Bear that in mind.

Wight
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
New York Times Democracy

WC-65 Pre-MD-1

Postby Wight » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Last edited by Wight on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
::: WIGHT :::
BECAUSE REASONS

Vilita
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Mitaroka's Fate

Postby Vilita » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

::
Vilita Jungle Cats
::

Calaesa Mitaroka knew, walking off the pitch after the draw against Apox during the World Cup 64 finals, that it could be the last time he led the Jungle Cats in competition. It was an utterly disappointing World Cup for the Jungle Cats, crashing out with just one point and failing to advance to the knockout stage for the second consecutive finals.

There was so much more expected of the Jungle Cats, however. If not for goalless draw against Kandorith on the 15th matchday of World Cup 64 Qualifying, Mitaroka could have led the Jungle Cats to a perfect 18-matchday qualifying haul, a rare feat and certainly something the Jungle Cats had never before accomplished. Of course, the 17-1-0 record was still by far the best point haul in Vilitan history, giving rise to hope throughout the Vilitan Cove that the most experienced and unified Vilitan team ever to step on the pitch was finally going to break through and bring the World Cup back to Vilita for the first time in 43 runnings of the worlds greatest sporting event.

It was most certainly a tale of two halves for Mitaroka. His record in World Cup qualifying was unbeatable. Over 4 Qualifying campaigns, Mitaroka had led the Jungle Cats to a run of just 1 defeat in 65 matches, an unparalleled mark that instantly moved Mitaroka into the discussion along with names like Helmut Vilkaous as the best manager in Vilitan history. In fact, with numbers like that, Mitaroka would have to be considered one of the best managers in the World - that is, if he could back it up with success in the World Cup.

But, in the end, success in the World Cup was all that mattered. Mitaroka knew that. Advancing to the World Cup Finals on penalty kicks after a playoff draw would be acceptable if it was followed up with a World Cup title. A perfect run in World Cup qualifying? No different than qualifying on Penalty Kicks in a playoff, all it does is earn a place in the draw.

So, as he sat in the locker room following the draw against Apox that had felt like an 8-0 defeat, he thought about where they had gone wrong. Had the players failed him? Had he failed the players? Was it some combination of both?

Returning home to Vilita, Mitaroka retreated to his cabin outside of Yeaddin. He had been summoned to the Vilitan National Team headquarters in Alikki-Corra, but the meeting wasn't going to be until the day after the World Cup final. He tried not to think about the meeting - about the fact that he very well could be losing his job as National Team head coach - a chance he knew he'd never have again. He went through some digital scrap books of his playing days at the Lirai Asku Castle, and with the National Team. He tried not to think too much about it, however, concentrating his mind on menial odd jobs throughout the cabin.

As the final whistle blew, Mitaroka thought about what could have been. Audioslavia were World Cup Champions once again. Mitaroka thought back to the narrow defeat the Jungle Cats had suffered to the Bulls on Matchday 2 of the group stage. Had he made the wrong substitutions? He knew they were not that good. They just had a good goalkeeper. Was the Jungle Cats problem in the net? All this rotating goalkeepers around, was it helping, or hurting? He wasn't sure. Now, however, Audioslavia had two World Cup titles. Vilita only had one. That certainly wasn't going to make tomorrows meeting any easier.

Mitaroka got up and started preparing to head back to Alikki-Corra...

-¤-¤-¤World Cup 20 Champions¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤World Cup 68 Champions¤-¤-¤-
-¤-¤-¤World Cup 77 Champions¤-¤-¤-

Region: Atlantian Oceania - The Home of Sport

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports