NATION

PASSWORD

Ninth Handball World Cup (RP, Squads, Scores)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Daehanjeiguk
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Daehanjeiguk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Munhwa Shinhwa, English Edition wrote:
AMATEURS AGAINST OLYMPIANS
QUARTERFINAL AGAINST COTDELAPOMS BECKONS AFTER 29-20 WIN OVER PONIES

CASHLAUNCARRIGA - With the last blow of the whistle, the Han are leaving the country and heading for the Wood Box - the less commonly known name of the Maudraiska Arena where a quarterfinal match against the Olympic championship team of Cotdelapoms. Such a thing was never in doubt after the Han blasted the Equestrian States 29-20, with Choe Gwan-Tae leading the goals today. Kim Hak-Seop led the team in assists, showing off his creative side of the game as he peeled players left and right. In all, the team performances that have put the Han into the quarterfinals continued, and will need to continue against a Cotdelapoms side that boasts experience, skill, and confidence. With the defeat of Sicoutimont in their match against the Jahistic Unified Republic, the two perfect sides go into the quarterfinals knowing full well that history beckons at the 9th Handball World Cup.

Of course, history favors Cotdelapoms, recent Olympic champions and still strong favorites to win the game, let alone the whole tournament. "I think if we're to have any chance of winning this game, we'll need to tame Luc Rodrigues," says Coach Pak Seung-Ho. "He's been the anchorpoint for anything and everything in this Cotdelapoms team. He was their MVP during the Olympics, and he's proving again his championship credentials against all opposition here."

In some other related news, there has been some professional speculation over Pak Hak-Seop's potential future. "We did receive notice that some clubs are interested in signing him," says Coach Pak. "I've made it a firm policy that while any express interest would be entertained, we've made it team policy to postpone any transfer discussions until we've finished the World Cup. We don't want professional developments to distract any of our players, not even Pak Hak-Seop. We're nonetheless pleased to hear about this, and I'm sure that the players are all interested in continuing their professional careers as handball players." The coach was less receptive towards a possible future in a domestic league. "Right now, there's hardly discussion about the progress of the Imperial Football League - I'm pretty sure putting in a handball league is the least of their worries."

There was a mark of hope however. "Maybe if we win this thing, they'll do it."

MAN HITS TIGER AFTER SWERVING TO AVOID SEVERAL ANIMALS

KONMYEONG - A local driver who tried to avoid crashing into a panda hit a tiger instead, a rural magistrate's office revealed. The accident occurred in a mountainous county in Sacheon Province amid strange circumstances, which saw the driver swerve six times over a 1500 meter section of road.

The driver reportedly swerved first to avoid a panda, which had come out onto the road. After the first turn, he claimed he swerved again to avoid hitting a unicorn, which had just thrust out of the bamboo forest. He swerved three more times to avoid hitting llama, a duck, and a Bazalope before finally failing to hit a tiger. While both the driver and the animal escaped the accident with minimal injuries, Imperial authorities are still tracking the tiger, which is believed to have sustained life-threatening injuries.

The man was later taken in for possible drunken driving and further toxicological examination. The panda, which was admittedly too slow to evade the scene, was taken in for further inquiries. The driver's insurance declined to indicate whether his coverage would have included incidental damage caused by mythological and legendary creatures.

Because life imitates NS too much sometimes...

Jang really liked the Morning Herald article. He liked it most that no one used one of his pen names. He liked it just as nicely as the article proclaimed the going-far-ness of the new commercial deal. Already, there have been whispers of a new international handball club competition - ripe for his taking. And in a few years, he would be the kingpin of a handball conspiracy that would transcend perhaps everything except the NS World Cup itself. But now he needed to talk to someone.

Teague Healy. It was a casual meeting with the head chief of the Organizing Committee. "I know we've just started our little arrangements, but I'm going to need a favor."

"Yes, Mr. Hong?"

"As you may well know, I have extensive contacts in the Han Empire. Many contacts. In fact, there's no place like home, like they say."

"Your voice is a little different today, are you feeling okay?"

"Of course, I'm fine. I've been talking a lot recently, trying to make things work for you. But I need some help. There's going to be a lot of attention directed to the Han-Cotdelapoms game. Everyone expects them to win. But you know... it's hard to run this business when fixtures are so undetermined. Terribly hard to predict demand. If the Han lose against Cotdelapoms, I'll lose contracts for the semifinals. You know how it is." Hong took a quick pause. "You're the country going on to the quarterfinals, one match from the semifinals. But then they lose, and everyone goes back to their normal routines, no one cares any more. It's hard for broadcasters to guarantee spots when the fixture schedule is so fickle. And then when they do guarantee it and the fixture is one that no one wants to watch, how do they compensate for the lost viewership? They need some assurances."

"Assurances? If they wanted assurances, they should have put their money in a bank," Teague replied.

"But I'm gambling man, Mr. Healy," Hong said. "And I like my odds." He pulled out a piece of paper. "25-1. How do I tell my networks that the Han Empire is going to be in the semifinals with those kinds of odds? I need something to help strengthen my case. Assurances. More than assurances, maybe."

"What do you mean then?"

"I need a sure thing."

Teague was flabbergast. "You don't say that word in this business, and... and.. mean it."

"I mean it." Hong said. He proceeded on a slow walk around Teague. "You know, I've discovered some things about Ancharmunn. It's a very lovely place. The people, universally accommodating. But there's one thing that I can always rely upon. You're always looking forward. Progressive minded folk, and everyone looking to the big promotion. In the end, it's something that I can admire. No matter what it takes, you will always do the right thing to get you from here... to there." Of course, Hong was metaphorically speaking. And Teague seemed to catch every little nuanced bit of condescending allegory. He had the opportunity to cut his losses, but the fact was - he had few options. "I know you'll do the right thing. Because I know now that the Han will defeat Cotdelapoms. And you'll have guaranteed the success of the Handball World Cup - I hear they're going to inaugurate the next biggest thing in sporting events. I know you'll want to be on the front pages with that sort of deal. We can make that work all out for you. We just need your assurances."

"I'll need to think about it," Teague said. "These assurances might be a wee bit wieldy."

"I understand perfectly," Hong said. "I'll leave you to think about it. And you know - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The Han will win. And I know you'll do the right thing."

Hong left Teague alone to ponder over his options. And the reality was that he really didn't need to do anything. Jang had calculated it perfectly - basic game theory, as it were. There were two choices for Teague, but Jang was only concerned about the results - a Han win. If Teague fixed the results, the Han were sure to win, 1-all odds. If Teague did not fix the results, there was still that 25-1 odd. Better than 1-1 odds - he liked that math.

"What if the Han lose?" asked his curious associates.

Jang smiled. "I have a back-up plan."
IFL
BoF23 |DBC5
WC46(2nd)/52,53(R4)/42,44,49(R8)/39,43,45,47(R16)/40,41,50,51(G)
Host - OFC|CoH31|BoF28|WC41|CoH37 (as Allemenschen)|DBC12
RPs
Active: Reopening Old Wounds
Inactive: n/a/

Inventor of tl;dr

The Jahistic Unified Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

SportsNation Morning News.

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:56 am

Jordan Tracey and Lane Kevins, yet again.

JT: Celebrations are breaking out, the second time around, in various cities around the JUR. You can imagine why: Team JUR is one their way to the Quarter Finals after beating Group H winners (5-0) Sicoutimont. Ironically, this is Team JUR's 5th victory in a row, a streak which Sicoutimont had before the JUR cut them down, 21-27.

LK: It's important to note that crime is down 32% because of this handball tournament. I have two theories, (sarcastically) either that we're all staying home to watch this tournament, or (normally)we have an overwhelming national pride which can combine all peoples for our favorite sport. But back to sports, Julius Jacobson, the 16 year old up and comer got into a violent scoring game with Sicoutimontian Xavier Berube--- the X Man.

We can see from the scoring section, right here how that turned out.

X. Berube (SIC): 13 goals/21
J. Jacobson (JUR): 15 goals/27.

JT: That would mean, overall, Jacobson scored the most goals, obviously. But Berube scored more of an average, tit-for-tat.

LK: But I'm sure that wouldn't ruin the patriots celebrating wouldn't care about that. We got a picture message on my phone--

JT: Last time you got a pic on your phone, you were suspended for 5 days.

LK: You can be quiet. It's from the celebrations, I'mma bring it up right now

LK: Obviously enthused celebrators, can you imagine what it will be like if we make it to the semis? We're guaranteed a medal opportunity at that point and, Jordan, I think it'll be better than if we won the World Cup in Football. My suggestion to the Jahistic people: sit back, grab a drink and enjoy the rest of this rise. Go celebrate, have some fun!

JT: You never know when it could be over. Well I'm Jordan Tracey, Lane Kevins to my left. Goodnight!

Meanwhile in the Team JUR hotel:

Kyung: Juli, do you think we have any possibility of winning?

Jacobson: We have defied the odds, twice. We were the underdogs, the team that couldn't make the group phase, but you and me and the rest of the team made this happen.

Kyung: I just want to survive... This is how I survive.

<Koyro> (Democratic Koyro) NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
The Emerald Dawn wrote:"Considering Officer Krupke was patently idiotic to charge these young men in the first place, we're dropping the charges in the interest of not wasting any more of the Judiciary's time with farcical charges brought by officers who require more training on basic legal principles."

Baseball is Best Sport. Life long StL Fan.

Thatius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thatius » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Frederikstadt Presidential Quarters, THATIUS

"Here Mr. President...the final bill for todayl."

Looking up in surprise, the President of Thatius, Marko Irosković eyed his advisor with curiosity.

"And what's this?" inquired Marko, taking the bill suspiciously. "I was told I would sign only five bills today, not six."

"My apologies, but there's been a slight change. The Council passed this bill in last moment's notice. You don't have to sign it if you don't want to. After all.." said the advisor, stopping short in mid-sentence.

"Connor, let me just read this first," said Marko, gesturing for him to stop talking. "Interesting. An official Handball stadium to be built in downtown Frederikstadt. And where's this money going to come from?"

"Good question sir, but the Council has received thousands of Dinars in donations these past couple of days. They say it's more than enough to build the largest handball stadium in the nation, seating 30,000," said the president's advisor, Connor Knowles.

Glancing up from the bill, Marko asked: "Why are people donating to a Council's funds all of the sudden?"

Surprised, Connor replied, "Sir, have you not been watching TV as of late? Thatius has advanced to the Quarterfinals of the Ninth Handball World Cup. And after reaching the Bronze Medal Match in the Olympics, interest in handball has spiked tenfold. People are inquiring where they can go sign up to play in a handball league, and thousands of kids are now taking up the sport."

"Ah.." started Marko. "I was unaware of our handball team's performance. Been a bit occupied with work and watching the Football World Cup, you know? And besides, I'm kind of watching sports after the Olympics...it's unfortunate but true."

"Sir, you have to watch this Quarterfinal tonight. It's against Yesopalitha, and it's going to be one heck of a match if I say so myself. They narrowly squeezed out a win against Free South Califas, the same with us against Andossa Se Mitrin Vega."

"World Cup 61 hosts?" interjected Marko.

"Yep, the very same. We won 25-24 and advanced to the Quarterfinals thanks to our player's abilities," replied Connor while pulling up highlights of the game for the president to see.

"Hmm..very interesting. Well I'll make sure to tune in tonight. And here, hand me my pen, I'll sign this bill. Our team deserves a national stadium built in the capital, especially after all they've done."

Smiling, Connor acknowledged the president's request and handed him the pen. "Very good sir, he said."

"There!" stated the president, signing on the line and putting his pen down. "It's finalized. Make a note for me Connor, I want to personally congratulate the handball team when they get back to Thatius. Handball World Cup title or not, these guys have played brilliantly."

Ancharmunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancharmunn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Wheeeeeeeeee! Quarter finals cutoff time.
I'm not on the Greenwich Meridian so my time is a few seconds behind. Bear that in mind.

Ancharmunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancharmunn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Quarter-finals
Ancharmunn 24-29 Iona (Falconfar)
Cotdelapoms 29–24 Daehanjeiguk
Yesopalitha 21–29 Thatius
Cyborg Holland 24–32 The Jahistic Unified Republic

Semi-final fixtures
Iona (Falconfar) vs. Cotdelapoms - Cobolt Box
Thatius vs. The Jahistic Unified Republic - Grand Handball Arena
I'm not on the Greenwich Meridian so my time is a few seconds behind. Bear that in mind.

Daehanjeiguk
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Daehanjeiguk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:53 pm

The odds were in his favor. Unfortunately, he did not count on the one thing that he had ironically expected. Teague Healy would never conscionably fix the results just because some strange man asked him to do it. Of course, the one thing he did not expect was that the Olympian champions from Cotdelapoms would actually win their match. Put it down to another fantastic performance from Luc Rodrigues, in the end. But Jang couldn't afford to look soft in front of everyone else. Something needed to be done.

Correction: something was already ready to be done, and now needed to be done.

"Did you send the obituary to the Maudraiska Mirror?"

"The envelope should arrive there sometime in the morning."

"Good." Jang had a quick look around the old lady's house. This quiet little neighborhood was about to get a little rough. "Burn the place down. I want her body on the stove next to her pills. Make it look accidental, but make all of the papers are burned."

"Are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, it's pretty messy."

Jang turned around to face the questioner, his sole eye fixed upon him. Immediately, the kid wet his pants. "Do you know how I got this scar?" Jang said pointing to his scarred eyehole. "My father was a brute. My mother was a submissive little cunt. And every night he came home from the mines late, if he came home at all, he'd sit up with her all night. She'd cry the whole time, and he liked it like that. Sometimes, he'd turn to my sister and violate her. And I'd peep into the room. He caught me one time - and it only took one time. He asked me which eye spied him on her, and I pointed to it. He grabbed the knife from the kitchen and sliced it out. It plopped onto the ground, and I picked it up as he went back to her room."

By now, the kid was afraid for his life. The others continued to prep the house for the destruction, as Jang stepped closer and closer to his doubter. "Of course, my dad was a very smart man. But even he was too clumsy to leave the knife next to an anguished boy. I took the knife and I went into my sister's room - "Nuna, garapshyo!" I shouted at her, and I put the knife in the place where his cold heart once supposedly stood. Of course, when I was younger, I thought he was a demon. My mother came into the room, and I tried to calm her down. She got in the way." He stopped for a moment. The others all stopped immediately, holding their breaths. "Of course, she was the only person I regret ever killing. But everyone else - accident or otherwise - it's part of the plan. So don't question me."

He turned to the others who stopped to listen. "Get back to work. I want this house burned by midnight."

"Won't the fire fighters come?"

"They'll have other problems on their mind in a little bit. Just focus on your own job."

Jang glanced at the clock. "We're behind schedule."

"What do you mean?"

At that instant, an explosion roared in the background. "We need to move out, now." Jang unfurled a match. "Time is up."

The fire that began in that house consumed everything very quickly. Part of the reason was the accelerated burn through the house - the fumes and fuel helped to spread the fire throughout the whole house, consuming everything in a fiery rush. Part of the reason was because the Ancharmunn authorities were too busy fighting fires as a result of that explosion. Ironically, the blasts ran out of the offices at a branch of the Morning Herald. As it was late in the evening, there were few people on hand to witness the explosion or to suffer its consequences. Needless to say, there was an extraordinary plethora of violence on that evening - it had all the hallmarks of something worse on the horizon...

It was easy for Jang to slip out of the country unnoticed. At worst, Ancharmunn authorities would have the name of a mysterious "Hong Gil-Do". The Imperial authorities may recognize that name, they may not. Probably not. But Jang had done what he needed to do. Ultimately, it was a miscalculated venture into a country that he had thought he had known. He knew well enough, but there would be another day when he would return. But it couldn't all be bad news - he had just set up the foundations of something altogether greater than what anyone on that day could imagine. It would make the Mujeongbu pale in comparison.
IFL
BoF23 |DBC5
WC46(2nd)/52,53(R4)/42,44,49(R8)/39,43,45,47(R16)/40,41,50,51(G)
Host - OFC|CoH31|BoF28|WC41|CoH37 (as Allemenschen)|DBC12
RPs
Active: Reopening Old Wounds
Inactive: n/a/

Inventor of tl;dr

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Lane Kevins, boots on the ground reporting

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:06 pm

"We are outside of a concert, which was supposed to be about religion and God, with live music. There was, but they let the bands play until 8pm today... then the game was shown.

The evangelist postponed his speech until tomorrow, saying "Our prayers go out to Team JUR, and we want to see those prayers in action. Who wants to see a live feed of the Quarter finals of the Handball tournament?" To which the crowd, easily 35,000 people, gave a roaring approval. After the last performer came on, we cut to the handball game, in it's last quarter, 15 minutes. "Thatius 24-24 JUR" is what the scoreboard said.

The crowd in the stadium hosting the concert rushed into a giant group near the 3 titantrons. The scoreboard in the stadium (the stadium's primary function is football) displayed the score: tied at 24.

A sigh from the crowd, mixed of disappointment, that we aren't ahead and relief that we aren't ahead.

Julius Jacobson gets the ball and the crowd goes wild, he passes it to Devyn Christophers, back to Jacobson, to Jeff Christophers. Jeff throws it, goal! Crowd goes wild, and someone sets off fireworks in an empty part of the field. I look to the Security Guard who looks at me and shrugs "Let him have his fun."

24-25 JUR.

5 points later, 4 minutes left. It's apparent that TJUR will win, but by how much? Heres a spoiler alert: 2 more points. All scored by Devyn. Completely out scoring Julius for the first time in the tournament.

And the Crowd rushes the stage! The Crowd is celebrating! For 2 hours afterwards, its party, party, party. When the crowd settles down, I took this picture as the evangelist gets back on the stage to help with the celebrations

All of a sudden... I hear a little boy, can't be older than 13.
"Arise! All those who don't want to be oppressed"
"Let our love and unity forge our new Revolution!"

The Jahistic National Anthem. I couldn't hold back my tears. This is what national unity looks like. And lighters get raised.

The Second time around, one of the frontman of a band came out and played a distorted, heavy metal version of the Anthem. Everyone breaks out, young and old, black, white and tan. We all celebrated our guarantee of a shot for a medal.

I couldn't stay up. I sit down.

Realizing that everyone knew it: the Handball Tournament have brought more people together than the evangelist (who I know and love) could ever do.

-- Lane Kevins.

<Koyro> (Democratic Koyro) NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
The Emerald Dawn wrote:"Considering Officer Krupke was patently idiotic to charge these young men in the first place, we're dropping the charges in the interest of not wasting any more of the Judiciary's time with farcical charges brought by officers who require more training on basic legal principles."

Cotdelapoms
Ambassador

Founded: May 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cotdelapoms » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Fortunately Le Télégramme has folded, leaving Cotdelapoms without a radical right-wing newspaper- but this has left the nation with a peculiar black hole in decent English language reporting on the fast growing sport. As a result, a group of reputable bloggers have instead assembled a new print magazine dedicated solely to team handball- without any of the gross anti-Rushmori propaganda or peculiar commercial zeal almost entirely in support of one fried chicken chain from Achtklan. Issues will be available at newsstands and book stores from coast to coast to coast, and a shipment has been brought into Ancharmunn for sale outside arenas, provided no shady men in tracksuits who smell of whiskey steal them.

Thatius
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thatius » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:07 pm

FREDERIKSTADT HERALD

Thatius Wins QF Match!

Inside Caernakry's handball stadium, The Aluminum Box, the crowd remained completely quiet as Thatius' leading scorer, Christian Haas, stepped up to the line to shoot for his tenth goal of the day. Haas shot at the goal, as Yesoplaitha's goalie, Hailee Bysonia, reached for the ball. The crowd roared as Haas' shot sailed into the back of the goal, giving Thatius its final point of the match.

Players and coaching staff from the Thatian bench rushed out in celebration as the clock and referee signaled the end of the match. Looking up to the scoreboard, fans, announcers, and players alike saw Thatius' victory flash 29 - 21 over the talented, but defeated Yesopalitha team.

It took a quarter and a half for Thatius to finally edge away from Yesopalitha. At halftime, both teams were tied at 15-15, but the Thatian side took a completely different turn for the start of the next quarter. The defense gave Yesopalitha no options, and Thatius' goalie, Mariusz Tkaczyk, amassed over ten saves, giving them hardly an opportunities to score.

Thatian Forward Marko Dragunski celebrates the win over Yesopalitha

The offensive side of the Thatian team stepped up their game, too. Haas himself accounted for six of the final fourteen goals, while Marko Dragunski, another one of the forwards, put up five more goals. At the end of the match, Thatius completely dominated their opponents, and walked away with a feel-good victory.

This marks the second consecutive semi-final berth of the national team, as Thatius had previously competed in the Men's Handball Semifinal in the VII Olympics. They are seeking their first-ever team final, as they lost to Polar Islandstates in the Semifinals of the Olympics. Their next opponent is the Jahistic Unified Republic, who handled Cyborg Holland with ease, defeating them by a score of 32-24. The high-powered offense of TJUR will provide for a great match against Thatius, as the two combat for a spot in the final in the Grand Handball Arena. However, only one team will have the opportunity to compete for the coveted Handball World Cup.

Scoring Summary
C. Haas - 10 Goals. 3 Assists.
M. Dragunski - 9 Goals. 5 Assists.
R. Nikčević - 4 Goals. 8 Assists.
A. Schwarzer - 3 Goals. 1 Assist.
J. Bayermann - 2 Goals. 5 Assists.
C. Daenescu - 1 Goal. 2 Assists.

PLAYER HIGHLIGHT - DAVOR DUVNJAK

Thatian Defender Davor Duvnjak

While some players on the Thatian National Handball Team are all about scoring and earning points, other players focus on defense and regaining ball possession. Perhaps one of the most underrated players from Team Thatius' is Davor Duvnjak, who, at 29, is one of the oldest and most experienced players on the team. He competed, albeit as a secondary starter, for Thatius in the VII Olympics, as well as in other domestic competitions.

Duvnjak was born in Pruszkow to a coal-mining father and a stay-at-home mother. They introduced him to handball when he was nine, seeing as it was the only sport, besides soccer, offered to young children publicly. Duvnjak immediately took interest and proved to be one of the best young players in the region. At eighteen years old, he made Ironwroclaw University's Men's Handball team, where he competed as one of the starting forwards.

Eventually Duvnjak grew interested in playing as a defender, and soon after started as such. When Duvnjak was a junior, he was named to the Athletic West's (a major athletic conference in Thatius) all-star Handball roster. Soon after graduating, the young Purszkow-native found himself playing for the Ironwroclaw Ibises, a medium-sized handball team.

Today he plays for the Brevik Bearcats, arguably the best team in the Thatian Handball League (THL), after he was transferred from Ironwroclaw. When it was announced Thatius would be putting together a handball team to compete in the Olympics, Duvnjak's name was one of the first to be put forth, as he had been playing in the THL for seven years. However, after a poor showing at the Olympic Trials in Frederikstadt, he was only offered a bench position, which he still took with great enthusiasm. After all, he would still earn a little playing time. After losing in the Bronze Medal Match to Qazox in the Olympics, Duvnjak, more than ever, has the desire to win something big for his nation. This is only his second international competition playing for his nation, but he wants to win something big before he finds himself in retirement in a couple of years.

While not practicing or playing handball, Davor enjoys winter sports, including skiing and snowboarding. He is married to his wife of four years, Alicija, and has two daughters, Katia and Elena. After his retirement from handball, Davor plans to teach his daughters how to play while perhaps opening up a small handball academy to instruct potential, future handball stars.
Last edited by Thatius on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancharmunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancharmunn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Semi-finals
Iona (Falconfar) 31–29 Cotdelapoms
Thatius 28–24 The Jahistic Unified Republic

Final
Iona (Falconfar) vs. Thatius (Grand Handball Arena)

Bronze medal match
Cotdelapoms vs. The Jahistic Unified Republic (Cobolt Box)

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Jordan Tracey, Boots on the Ground, TJUR Hotel

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm

"TJUR suffered a disappointing loss today, 24-28 against Thatius. TJUR is very optimistic about their bronze medal aspirations.

'We came and we're still here. We made it to the bronze medal match, which is an honor for a first time team like us' Goalkeeper Nick Garey said in a small talk with me 'We should just focus on the next game and hope to take home the bronze.'

Rightback Kyung Yun-Ki, who just received a medal from the Chairman of the JUR was kinda perplexed. 'We have a bronze medal game?' He said with a mixture of shock, confusion and joy. Devyn Christophers had to remind him of this fact. 'I should really unpack mystuff and demand a refund on my plane ticket' he said with a grin. I'll update you about the plane ticket later.

Jeff Christophers was a smidge more angry. 'They cheated!' he belted out before slamming the door. Devyn apologized for his brother's behavior.

The Bronze medal game is tomorrow against Cotdelapoms who lost to Iona (Falconfar) 31-29. TJUR will have to get ready to grab a plane to the Cobolt box, where the game will be held.

As for the average Jahistic, Victory Square in the Capital is setting up a giant titantron for free, public viewing of the game and a potential victory celebration should Team JUR win this competition.

Even the Chairman took to the internet today praising Team JUR for their "exceptional work in our inaugural international competition" and hopes they are "ready for the Olympics, because as soon as registration opens, I will make it a priority that TJUR is on the list" This tournament has been a wonderful experience for TJUR and the JUR as a nation. We'll just wait and see how they do tomorrow.

In related news, the UJHL declared that after the next Summer Olympic games, Team JUR as we know it will be no more. The reasons after the break.

Thatius
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thatius » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Finally, the Final

It all comes together when players put away their individual aspirations and focus on the team. Basically, teamwork is key to success. The adage may be old, but utilized correctly today, and the formula works. For Thatius, the magic happened once more as The Jahistic Unified Republic (TJUR) fell prey to the ambitious, yet tactful men's handball team from Thatius. For the second last match of the tournament, the scoreboard read perfectly:

THATIUS 28 - 24 THE JAHISTIC UNIFIED REPUBLIC

No one could doubt the athleticism and ability on both sides, seeing as this was a semifinal matchup, yet Thatius held the edge coming down in the final stretches, much like a horse race. As the clock ticked down, the score continued to be close, until when, like the previous match against Yesopalitha, the Thatian National Handball Team went on a rampage, scoring like mad to take the lead in the final couple of minutes.

The Jahistic Unified Republic's men's handball team could only stand there and watch as the ball sailed a couple of times into the back of the goal. Credit goes out to the entire Thatian team for their teamwork, as they, instead of being selfish, chose to pass the ball between each other and wait for the opportune moment to strike. Not only did they score with that tactic, it helped quicken the pace in Thatius' favor.

While forwards like Marko Dragunski and Christian Haas are known for their individual games, the two worked in tandem to bypass TJUR's defense and score on the goal. In previous matches, especially in the knockout rounds, Dragunski and Haas have been the primary goal scorers for the team. However, it was another player's turn to shine: Reed Nikčević, the twenty-one year-old from Novi Saad.

Thatian Forward Reed Nikčević (note: not a picture from the Ninth Handball World Cup)

Nikčević shot nine for ten goals, and assisted with eight others. His dominant performance boosted the score in Thatius' favor, especially in the final remaining minutes when he shot three for four goals.

For the first time in Thatius' history, a national team outside of tennis and the Olympics has made the final of an international sporting competition. Thatius reached the final in several individual and team events in the recent Olympics, but the most success has come from tennis, with several prominent Thatian tennis players winning different international tournaments. Now, the Thatian Men's Handball Team looks to make history as the first team to win a big-time tournament. Of course, this would also give Thatius' its first ever handball title as well.

However, before the glory of victory can come true, the guys have to defeat Iona (also known as Falconfar) in the final. Not only did Iona prove to be a formidable team in the group stage, going 4-0-1, but they also proved to be tough opponents in the knockout stage. The Ionian team handled Maron with ease, defeated host nation Ancharmunn, and ousted recent gold-medalists Cotdelapoms.

With such an impressive résumé, Iona will be going into the Final of the Ninth Handball World Cup full of confidence. Thatius and Iona will clash in Ancharmunn's Grand Handball Arena, with the winner taking home their first-ever Handball World Cup title. Thatius' team stands under a mountain of pressure as they go for their first title after dashed medal hopes in the Olympics. It will take another stellar performance to take home the glory, but this Thatian team knows something about putting together last minute deals anyways.

Falconfar
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Falconfar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 pm

The Imperial Tribune
The most read paper in the Queendom of Falconfar

IONIANS REACH FINAL, UPSET APPLES
WELCOMING RELIEF FROM OTHER SPORTS

ANCHARMUNN - These days, it is almost sad to be a sports fan in Falconfar. The Unified Falcon football team has fallen to be the lowest placed team in their group. The Imperials' baseball team will most likely not qualify again. Although the domestic season is going on in football, it really hasn't hit any peaks. Instead, it is a previously unheard sport - handball - that is coming into the attention of Falconfar sports fans, as the Iona Ionians, from Falconfar, have actually made it to the finals of the Ninth Handball World Cup, which will be contested between them and the nation of Thatius.

The latest to fall under the unified Ionian menace were the Cotdelapoms Apples, recent gold medalists in the sport in the last Olympic Games. It was close, but it was the less experienced Ionians who actually pulled through at the end of a tough game to advance to the finals, leaving the Apples with no chance of getting a double in major competitions in the sport. Iona seems to be in the cusp of shutting up its critics and getting a title that nobody in the entire country was expecting.

While the rest of the Queendom goes through its spell of wondering what to do with its union of Falconear and what to do with the financial/domestic situation, Iona has offered a relief. Even the Queen herself acknowledged this, saying, "If it wasn't for the Ionians in the Ninth Handball World Cup, we would have no respite from the torturous politics and domestic upheaval that has befallen this nation. I commend them for shining through at such a dark time in our history. We are proud of you, Iona."

In other news, the Ionian Handball League will join the newly created champions' league for handball, as a reward for the excellence of play that they have shown in this World Cup. This will hopefully elevate play even more and perhaps lead to the obtaining of players from other than just Iona in the vast Queendom, and even Falconear as well.

Iona faces Thatius with not just the title on the line, but also the prospect of hope during this bleak time in Falconfar's history.

Hopefully, they can cap it off with one of the most unexpected titles.
Last edited by Falconfar on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Puppet of Chromatika
Currently another Northern Sunrise Islands puppet

Ancharmunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancharmunn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Cutoff and RP in one, lucky buggers eh!

--------

Maudraiska Mirror

Handball showdowns set to take place amidst heightened security

Hundreds of soldiers have been drafted in to provide security for the Handball World Cup final and bronze medal matches following a series of fires and explosions across Ballyfeeaknock on the day of the quarter-final matches. The deployment of troops have been described as the largest operation by Tynealan forces yet.

Lieutenant-General Tiernan Donovan, the man charged with overseeing the operation, described the militarisation of the tournament as an “unfortunate necessity”. Speaking to press at the Grand Handball Arena, the venue for the final he said, “After the terrible events of a few days ago a huge security taskforce is needed to ensure what has been a wonderful tournament finishes in a secure manner. We are not here to threaten, merely to keep the tournament and those involved in it secure so they can best enjoy it.”

Police meanwhile are conducting a mass murder investigation following the series of blazes. Explosions are thought to have caused fires at a number of locations including a warehouse in docklands area of Ballyfeeaknock, a Morning Herald suboffice, and a number of private residences.

Ballyfeeaknock Chief Inspector Donagh Keane admitted that police were treating the blazes as linked.

“We don't believe the places that were targeted are coincidental. We believe them to be linked and originating from a common source. It is however clear that we are dealing with either someone or a group of people who are very adept at this, so uncovering the truth may take some time.”

Keane however promised vengeance on the perpetrators claiming “Those who did this may remain free and at large for now, but we promise that we will find them and they shall pay for their sins. We of course urge members of the public to come forward with any information.”

One victim of the blazes was Teague Healy, the chairman of the Handball World Cup organising committee. Healy's mansion in the suburbs of Beningrad was amongst a number of private residences attacked, and in the eyes of Chief Inspector Keane proof that the attacks were a co-ordinated series of murder attempts.

“Why he's been targeted we don't know, but the fact that his house was razed and that an obitury for him was sent to a national paper before the fire had even started leads me to believe someone wanted him dead. Fortunately they've failed on that front as he remains alive, though in a very serious condition.”

Such is his condition that Healy will be unable to attend either the bronze medal match between Cotdelapoms and The Jahistic Unified Republic or the final between Iona and Thatius. Healy is clearly a man who seeks thrills from danger, evidenced by his desire for controversies to liven up the Handball World Cup. With such desire now fulfilled Healy may in future be careful what he wishes for, just in case he gets it.
Last edited by Ancharmunn on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yesopalitha
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Yesopalitha » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Julianne Potter sat in her house, returning after the Quarterfinal loss at the hands of Thatius in the Ninth Handball World Cup, looking at the envelope in her hand. She couldn't believe her eyes. The Yesopalitha Sports Committee was willing to finally start a semi-professional handball league! It would be labeled the "Amazons' Handball League" in honor of the team that had given handball a voice in Yesopalitha, and would have a total of eight teams playing in it. It was small, but it would be a huge step forward for the sport.

She beamed with pride. They might have lost, but in a bigger sense, they had won. And more importantly, there would be those who loved handball who would join this league and have a prospect of a better future.

That was all that they had set out to do.
Motto: Perseverantia saeculorum Note: I prefer to be known as YSP over YES if you use abbreviations.
Proud Original Member of Mystria

Puppet Nation of Chromatika

Ancharmunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancharmunn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Bronze medal match
Cotdelapoms 29–23 The Jahistic Unified Republic

Final
Iona (Falconfar) 27–24 Thatius

Falconfar
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Falconfar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:04 pm

[color=purple]The Imperial Tribune
The Most Read Paper in the Queendom of Falconfar

[size=150]CHAMPIONS! IONIANS TAKE TITLE

Unheralded team take championship

In a stunning, dazzling display of power and beauty as well as dedication to the game, the Iona Ionians of Falconfar won the Ninth Handball World Cup by defeating Thatius by a score of twenty-seven to twenty-four as the team overcame political and sociological deterrents to win their first title, the first world title won in any sport for Falconfar.

Though Thatius hung around for a half, the superior passing and playmaking abilities of the Ionians weren't to be denied, and the team, which started off as a bunch of players who hated each other due to domestic rivalries, became champions of the sport that they loved and enjoyed.

"I congratulate them for their win and also for the fact that they have brought together hope for a nation that was struggling," stated the Queen, "And am glad to call them one of our own. The Ionian team will be remembered for their endeavors today, as well as remembered in the history of world handball forever."

Now, the Ionians will return home and return to their teams, renewing old rivalries, but also remembering what could happen if they did play all together.

For thus is the beauty of team sports.
Former Puppet of Chromatika
Currently another Northern Sunrise Islands puppet

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports