NATION

PASSWORD

The World Cup Discussion Thread (OOC, version III)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:38 am

I apologize to the hosts and the community in general for the implications of my wording. By way of explanation, I did not intend to make any accusation except to note that I received an implied "threat" (too strong a word, I now realize) that future RPs in a similar style would be given 0s. To be more specific, I have had no cause to believe that intentional discrimination could have been taken place, and I have never doubted the hosts' good intentions.

Thank you, community, for your advice here, and I'm sorry for causing a stir. For what it's worth, I feel like an idiot for not spoilering those early RPs. To explain the small portion that was C/P'ed from the Warkus Cup thread, my intention in doing so was to clarify which games had their scoring stats decided by someone else, to make sure I didn't get more credit than was due for coming up with my individual statistics. More importantly, though, I'm sorry for leaving so much raw data and copypasta unspoilered. That goes out to everyone, not just the hosts. I have now fixed the ones linked above. The advice I have received from the community on this issue and on RP style, including in the telegram in question, has been greatly helpful and has been well-intentioned without exception. I again stress that the community has been more than helpful and welcoming and that no one I have noticed seems to exercise any intentional or systematic bias. Any implication to the contrary was unwarranted on my part. If I had foreseen that implication being inferred, I would have definitely chosen more appropriate wording. This experience has helped sharpen my proofing eye. I will be more careful in the future.

By the way, I have noticed that my problematic post from the last Olympics was referenced in this discussion. That one was copyspam, and I quietly followed the advice that the host sent me in response. Comparisons to that incident could, IMHO, run the risk of imprecision and invite cognitive errors, considering how much my posts have changed in a short period of time as illustrated in the links above.

(Also: Arcadian Islands had me a touch worried, I must admit, but Bela was undeterred. You heard it here first ;) )
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Warkus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Warkus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:53 am

Free South Califas wrote:snip

No problem, everyone has an incident here and there in these forums. Mine being in the case of the 1st WIFC.
Host of the 11th International Basketball Championship

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:12 am

All's well that ends well.

Free South Califas wrote:my intention in doing so was to clarify which games had their scoring stats decided by someone else, to make sure I didn't get more credit than was due for coming up with my individual statistics

It's not so much 'credit' for 'X scored Y goals', as someone has to score the goals that have been generated - and the generator wasn't you, so that's out of your control, too. Some players are great with poor stats, others poor with great stats, and for others ability is actually proportional to their stats - it all depends on the players we are all creating on everybody's teams every time we play each other.

This is why I demand other people to choose my scorers if they RP first, because I prefer to see what someone else makes of my squad - do they want to RP with my 'obvious' super-star striker to increase their reputation yet-further (people were fond of doing that with Valrauncion or anyone surnamed 'Di Bradini' on my teams) or give the unheralded journeyman defender a moment of glory?

You can always 'massage' your players' statistics one way or another with your own choices - I did this with SDB in his last tournament where he scored something silly like 9 goals in 5 games to reach as high a tally as possible, but often other RPers will do it for you, one way or another. It all adds up to a more diverse backstory that the less control you have over it, the more real it feels.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:20 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Daehanjeiguk wrote:
Dancougar was the land of interns. If something goes wrong, blame the Dancougarite intern and fire him/her.

Haha I'll have to remember that for next time

The country ended up with everybody's life-force absorbed by a demon that some schemers there (including an intern) had summoned. :(
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Slembana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Question

Postby Slembana » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 am

How many teams qualify from each group?

Cyborg Holland
Minister

Founded: Aug 29, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cyborg Holland » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:10 am

Slembana wrote:How many teams qualify from each group?

1, and then the Runner-up goes into a play-off

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:30 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
Haha I'll have to remember that for next time

The country ended up with everybody's life-force absorbed by a demon that some schemers there (including an intern) had summoned. :(

and some moved to Qazox for some reason. Our bureaucracy has never been more confusing! :)
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Western cuba
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Western cuba » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 am

Cyborg Holland wrote:
Slembana wrote:How many teams qualify from each group?

1, and then the Runner-up goes into a play-off

I still dread this format, every cup it seems like I clinch third on the last match day.
Now known as the Technological State of Adros, the successor state of Western Cuba

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 am

BTW.. just wants opinions.. but are my poems annoying everyone yet or no?
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Mytannion
Minister

Founded: Aug 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mytannion » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 am

Just going to apologise now for the fact that I probably will not be role-play until Monday or Tuesday as it is likely I will be away from a computer until then due to my cousin getting married. So sorry in advance to anybody in my group for not being able to until then…
The Third Republic of Mytannion
Capital: Esca - Population: 43,500,000 - Demonym: Mytanar

Sporting Achievements:
Football: Copa Rushmori XVII, CoH 56 & 59 Champions. Qualified for WC 55, 58, 60, 61, 63, 66; Round of 16: WC 56, 57, 62, 65. Quarter Finals: WC 68.
Lacrosse: WLC IX & XVII Champions!

West Angola
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Curse you Margaret! Two draws against a team without a roster ranked below 250 and one to an unranked team!
Last edited by West Angola on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

New Montreal States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby New Montreal States » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I got back to Illinois from Egypt alright. The hard part was spending a week stewing in a new house with no internet access and no car. I'd like to apologize to my groupmates and to PIS, for keeping two of his most important characters incommunicado for a week.

I finally posted a roster, and now I'm going to go make my way through the RPs.
Last edited by New Montreal States on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WBC 26 champions!
4th place finishers, World Cup 11; 2nd place finishers World Cup 31; Cup of Harmony 53 winners
Co-hosts of World Cup 28 and Cup of Harmony 16 with The Archregimancy; co-hosts of World Cup 64 and Cup of Harmony 54 with Wight; co-hosts of Cup of Harmony 50 with Vilita

Carmadin
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carmadin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Mytannion wrote:Just going to apologise now for the fact that I probably will not be role-play until Monday or Tuesday as it is likely I will be away from a computer until then due to my cousin getting married. So sorry in advance to anybody in my group for not being able to until then…

Congrats to your cousin, mine actually just got engaged :)
<PIS>: You say boom. I worry
4th Place in the Kickball World Championships. Reached the Ro16 in the 12th World Lacrosse Championships. Ranked 19th In the World for Lacrosse. Currently ranked 12th in the World in Babbage Rules. Accepted to CoH's 49-51. Quarterfinals in Beach Cup V. Gold Medal in Kemelilui at the I World Games. Co-creator of Kemelilui, included in XKorinate 0.3.3. Champions, Campeonato Rushmori Juvenil Sub-17. Champions, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos. Third Place, Copa Rushmori VII. My KPB Rank is as follows: #43, 16.23
WHF 9: 10th place with 16 points
Help create a new sport!
Copa de Mercury
Embassy Program
Я люблю Україну!

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 pm

As one reappears, another vanishes. I'm off to Poland for a four day weekend tomorrow morning, so will miss those MDs. But with a solitary song parody to my name this cup, you're all probably glad I am going so I can't post more of that crap ;)
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion

Carmadin
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carmadin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Starblaydia wrote:As one reappears, another vanishes. I'm off to Poland for a four day weekend tomorrow morning, so will miss those MDs. But with a solitary song parody to my name this cup, you're all probably glad I am going so I can't post more of that crap ;)

Say hey to Ukraine for me, Star! :)
(sorry for the doublepost)
<PIS>: You say boom. I worry
4th Place in the Kickball World Championships. Reached the Ro16 in the 12th World Lacrosse Championships. Ranked 19th In the World for Lacrosse. Currently ranked 12th in the World in Babbage Rules. Accepted to CoH's 49-51. Quarterfinals in Beach Cup V. Gold Medal in Kemelilui at the I World Games. Co-creator of Kemelilui, included in XKorinate 0.3.3. Champions, Campeonato Rushmori Juvenil Sub-17. Champions, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos. Third Place, Copa Rushmori VII. My KPB Rank is as follows: #43, 16.23
WHF 9: 10th place with 16 points
Help create a new sport!
Copa de Mercury
Embassy Program
Я люблю Україну!

Thatius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thatius » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Is it weird to notice that every single person in my future roster has at least one 'k' in their name?

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Starblaydia wrote:As one reappears, another vanishes. I'm off to Poland for a four day weekend tomorrow morning, so will miss those MDs. But with a solitary song parody to my name this cup, you're all probably glad I am going so I can't post more of that crap ;)

I was quite entertained, actually. That song is infuriatingly catchy.

If I find myself muttering your version at my desk tomorrow, though.............
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Osarius wrote:

I was quite entertained, actually. That song is infuriatingly catchy.

If I find myself muttering your version at my desk tomorrow, though.............

If it stops people writing 'Starblaydian' then I'll be happy.

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Starblaydia wrote:
Osarius wrote:I was quite entertained, actually. That song is infuriatingly catchy.

If it stops people writing 'Starblaydian' then I'll be happy.

Just officially change it to Starblaydian. It's what I did when I realised people really couldn't be arsed writing Licentiapacisterran :P
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Wight
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wight » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Last edited by Wight on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
::: WIGHT :::
BECAUSE REASONS

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Wight wrote:
Licentiapacisterra wrote:
Just officially change it to Starblaydian. It's what I did when I realised people really couldn't be arsed writing Licentiapacisterran :P

You can't just discard 25000 IC years of being Starbladistanis because people can't be arsed, Licenthropia.

You could, quite easily actually. :P
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Ossidiacqua
Envoy

Founded: Sep 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ossidiacqua » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Starblaydia wrote:If it stops people writing 'Starblaydian' then I'll be happy.

The demonym for someone from Licentiapacisterra is Starblaydian!?
The Former Oasirican Republic of Ossidiacqua - Pop. 87,500,000
Capital: Sant'Elia - Demonym: Acquan - Trigramme: OSD
Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 56
"If Found, Please Return to Time and Space"
Puppet of Polar Islandstates

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Ossidiacqua wrote:

The demonym for someone from Licentiapacisterra is Starblaydian!?

Too late PIS. Commerce Heights already made that joke on IRC :P

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Daehanjeiguk wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:I'm missing the joke.

Dancougar was the land of interns. If something goes wrong, blame the Dancougarite intern and fire him/her.

Alternatively, blame the Krytenian logistician (the modern variation of the joke, stemming from many scorination delays in the Ashton Games).
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Daehanjeiguk
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Daehanjeiguk » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Starblaydia wrote:If it stops people writing 'Starblaydian' then I'll be happy.

The reality: it's just as fun as calling the elves "Valanorians". Goodness, that took many years of Imperial intervention to stamp out... of course, there's a reason why it persists...
IFL
BoF23 |DBC5
WC46(2nd)/52,53(R4)/42,44,49(R8)/39,43,45,47(R16)/40,41,50,51(G)
Host - OFC|CoH31|BoF28|WC41|CoH37 (as Allemenschen)|DBC12
RPs
Active: Reopening Old Wounds
Inactive: n/a/

Inventor of tl;dr

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports