NATION

PASSWORD

World Baseball Classic Discussion Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

World Baseball Classic
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 27, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby World Baseball Classic » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:32 am

And the results of our presidential vote are in!

1. Drawkland: 4
2. Cassadaigua: 2
3. Zwangzug: 0

Therefore, congratulations to Drawkland as our new president!
The Poster is Likely the President of the World Baseball Classic Council (Drawkland - Cycles 59-61)

WBC Ranks (Thru WBC 58) | WBC Council Members | WBC Constitution | WBC HoF

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:05 am

Yaaaay congrats prez, thank you all for supporting my bid for another three cycles of doing nothing, is much appreciated.

Now I have an important question.

I understand the answers to this question are probably going to be, in some order, "No" and "Zwang, are you having too many emotions about fictional characters again, really?" BUT I also know that if there is any place on the internet where the answer might be "yes," NS Sport is very likely, just because of the confluence of nerd types. So. Has anybody read "The Celebrant" by Eric Rolfe Greenberg and/or "Ninety-Three" by Victor Hugo and/or is willing to put up with me screaming about historical fiction?

(This is not necessarily a recommendation, if you haven't, they're both niche for a reason. But I am having feelings and may need to vent at some time.)
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:32 am

draWk

Zwangzug wrote:So. Has anybody read "The Celebrant" by Eric Rolfe Greenberg and/or "Ninety-Three" by Victor Hugo and/or is willing to put up with me screaming about historical fiction?

I've read Ninety-Three, great book, may have missed the part about baseball though... :eyebrow:
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:16 pm

Quintessence of Dust wrote:draWk

Zwangzug wrote:So. Has anybody read "The Celebrant" by Eric Rolfe Greenberg and/or "Ninety-Three" by Victor Hugo and/or is willing to put up with me screaming about historical fiction?

I've read Ninety-Three, great book, may have missed the part about baseball though... :eyebrow:
Hahaha yeah it's not direct. But the idea of--pretty much everyone who picks up a novel about the French Revolution has enough historical knowledge to know how it's going to go, there isn't a lot of narrative drama coming from "will the republic triumph or will the dastardly monarchists prevail." So instead Hugo creates drama on a much smaller scale being like "what's going to happen to these kids." And it's effective!

And then the end...I think it sticks the landing, even though it's very bleak. So I guess I'm trying to put into words "what do I like about the way it resolved/got closure" so I can compare or contrast to figure out if other books (like The Celebrant) do or don't do the same thing as well.

(If Victor Hugo had written about the canceled World Series it would have been Quatrevingt-Quatorze. Okay I'll see myself out.)
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Previous

Return to NS Sports