NATION

PASSWORD

Unofficial xkoranate user guide? Let's talk.

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Castinistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Castinistan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Zwangzug wrote:Can you describe a little more of what you're seeing? You should be able to select "American football" under "Events" if that's what you want.

I selected American football and i have a screen with coding in red and blue in a tab. Help?

EDIT: It also has black letters and encryption looking things, like from movies.
Last edited by Castinistan on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael VII
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:58 pm

Castinistan wrote:
Zwangzug wrote:Can you describe a little more of what you're seeing? You should be able to select "American football" under "Events" if that's what you want.

I selected American football and i have a screen with coding in red and blue in a tab. Help?

EDIT: It also has black letters and encryption looking things, like from movies.

Have you unzipped the file and properly installed xkoranate? Sounds like you aren't actually running the .xml files and are actually looking at the coding.
My timezone, Southern Winter (Current Time): NZST, UTC +12, Southern Summer: NZDT, UTC +13

NSCF 5 Champions
Qualified for World Cup 62
Hosted World T20 Championships I, Baptism of Iron X, World Bowl 17, World Cup of Hockey XIX, World Bowl 19

Domestic Sportswire

Castinistan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Castinistan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:38 pm

No, I am seeing the xml actually so what do i do?
How do i properly install and unzip?
Last edited by Castinistan on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Castinistan wrote:No, I am seeing the xml actually so what do i do?

Right click on the file xkoranate, and then select unzip files. Unzip all of them, and then xkoranate should be working fine.
My timezone, Southern Winter (Current Time): NZST, UTC +12, Southern Summer: NZDT, UTC +13

NSCF 5 Champions
Hosted World T20 Championships I, Baptism of Iron X, World Bowl 17, World Cup of Hockey XIX, World Bowl 19

Domestic Sportswire

Castinistan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Castinistan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Michael VII wrote:
Castinistan wrote:No, I am seeing the xml actually so what do i do?

Right click on the file xkoranate, and then select unzip files. Unzip all of them, and then xkoranate should be working fine.

Would that be the same as extract all files?

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Castinistan wrote:
Michael VII wrote:Right click on the file xkoranate, and then select unzip files. Unzip all of them, and then xkoranate should be working fine.

Would that be the same as extract all files?

Umm yeah, I believe it is. Extract=Unzip. (Or at least that's how I remember it.) Extract them all and then it should be fine.

NSCF 5 Champions

Domestic Sportswire

Castinistan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Castinistan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I got it to work, but NO MMA :(

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:42 pm

Castinistan wrote:I got it to work, but NO MMA :(

Well xkoranate works for basically anything, except MMA...You could try using the Boxing one

NSCF 5 Champions

Domestic Sportswire

Castinistan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Castinistan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:03 pm

The boxing isnt too much what im looking for due to a couple differences that break it (for me)
1) MMA is scored very differently
2) Boxing has 15 rounds, not 3
3) I just dont know how i would begin to do something like that

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:07 am

I'm not sure the number of rounds has any impact. You may find using other combat sports like taekwondo or judo (which for our purposes are functionally the same, I believe) gives you a result you can use to scorinate MMA. Using the judo or taekwondo sports spits out simple "A def. B" or "A def. by B" results. If my limited knowledge of MMA serves, it's also possible to win on points, but those results will give your participants scope to RP what sort of victory/defeat occurred.

Castinistan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Castinistan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Kelssek,
Is there a judo/ taekwondo on xkoranate?

Mapletish
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mapletish » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Castinistan wrote:Kelssek,
Is there a judo/ taekwondo on xkoranate?

Yes both are on Xkoranate.
The Minuscule Nation Mapletish
Pop. 65,000,000 | Capital: Struggait City| Demonym: Maplish/Mapletian| Trigramme: MAP
First - WLC 24, DBC 43, XIV Winter Olympics Second - WCoH 22, RUWC 23, CR 24 Third- BoF 44, HWC 11, WCoH 20, WCoH 21, DBC 49 Fourth - U15WC9, RLWC12, CR 14
Qualified for WC 64, 66
www.unionsports.map
Proudly contributing my triumph's to the glorification of the greater whole!

Kagdazka and Pazhujebu
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagdazka and Pazhujebu » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:26 am

I've got a question. I've always wondered how the "import from text file" option for adding participants works. I've tried mucking around, creating text files in different formats, and then trying to import them, but none of them seem to work. CH? Zwang? Anyone?
The Federation of Kagdazka and Pazhujebu

Baptism of Fire 25 Champions (The Pazhujeb Islands), Baptism of Fire 33 Runners-Up (Kagdazka), AOCAF 33 Runners-Up (Kagdazka and Pazhujebu), Baptism of Fire 43 Co-Hosts, Baptism of Fire 45 Co-Hosts

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:01 am

Kagdazka and Pazhujebu wrote:I've got a question. I've always wondered how the "import from text file" option for adding participants works. I've tried mucking around, creating text files in different formats, and then trying to import them, but none of them seem to work. CH? Zwang? Anyone?

Semicolon delimited UTF-8 files, in the format:
Athlete;Team;Skill
Слава Україні!

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:02 am

Ninja'd, just noting that I tried and can't get style modifiers to import by default so maybe don't try that.

Kagdazka and Pazhujebu
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagdazka and Pazhujebu » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 am

Liventia wrote:
Kagdazka and Pazhujebu wrote:I've got a question. I've always wondered how the "import from text file" option for adding participants works. I've tried mucking around, creating text files in different formats, and then trying to import them, but none of them seem to work. CH? Zwang? Anyone?

Athlete;Team;Skill

Aha! I'd been trying to do it in UTF-16 as per a recommendation I'd seen you give to TBI several months ago. But you have to have 8, not 16, I see. Thanks LE, much appreciated.
The Federation of Kagdazka and Pazhujebu

Baptism of Fire 25 Champions (The Pazhujeb Islands), Baptism of Fire 33 Runners-Up (Kagdazka), AOCAF 33 Runners-Up (Kagdazka and Pazhujebu), Baptism of Fire 43 Co-Hosts, Baptism of Fire 45 Co-Hosts

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:22 am

Kagdazka and Pazhujebu wrote:
Liventia wrote:
Athlete;Team;Skill

Aha! I'd been trying to do it in UTF-16 as per a recommendation I'd seen you give to TBI several months ago. But you have to have 8, not 16, I see. Thanks LE, much appreciated.

CH fixed that issue in the most recent release, I believe.
Слава Україні!

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:11 am

Question: is it done in Microsoft Excel or it's own popup?

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:13 am

New Hayesalia wrote:Question: is it done in Microsoft Excel or it's own popup?

It opens up its own.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Dendavia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dendavia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:10 pm

I have a question. When you score International Rules Football, what are the numbers that it gives you after the team name? For example: Ferrets (Team 1) 2-10-11 (53) def. by Robins (Team 2) 2-15-6 (63)

Filopines
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Filopines » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:04 pm

:eyebrow: :palm: The scores?!
Nation of Filopines
Fort Town, Filopines: Sixth Rushmori Capital of Culture
Native Filopinian names
Surnames

Demonym - Filopinian
Beach Cup VIII Champions

updated 5/01/2015 pre-apocalypse

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Ancharmunn asked me about the difference between “absolute” and “relative” RP bonus, and after ignoring him for a week, I’ve finally gotten around to writing an answer:

Before applying RP bonus, the participants’ skills are converted to a 0–1 scale: Skill = (NominalSkill − MinimumSkill) / (MaximumSkill − MinimumSkill).

With absolute bonus, the RP-modified skill is calculated as: RPSkill = Skill + RPBonus × [1 − 1 / (1 − RPEffect)]. For example, if the RP bonus effect is 20%, then the RP-modified skill is the participant’s skill plus 25% of its RP bonus, so that RP bonus accounts for 20% of the total. The maximum RP modified-skill is now 1.25, so all values are divided by 1.25 before they’re fed into the scorinator.

With relative bonus, the initial calculation is the same, but instead of dividing by 1.25, the RP-modified skill is divided by the largest value actually achieved by a participant in the event (a participant who has been placed into a group, to be precise). If no participant has an RP-modified skill greater than 1, then no rescaling occurs. For example, if the best participant in the event has a skill of 0.9 and an RP bonus of 0.8, for a total of 1.1 (0.9 + 0.8 × 25%), then everyone in the event will have their RP-modified skill divided by 1.1.

The intent of the latter system is to allow athletes with the highest skill values to achieve world-class results without being penalized if no one in the event has accrued a high RP bonus (e.g., in the early stages of an event). This problem is analogous to the issues experienced with NSFS3 in the World Cup, when the maximum points could not be adjusted over the course of the qualifying tournament and randomness reigned.

Dendavia wrote:I have a question. When you score International Rules Football, what are the numbers that it gives you after the team name? For example: Ferrets (Team 1) 2-10-11 (53) def. by Robins (Team 2) 2-15-6 (63)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... s_football
Points are scored as follows:

• In the goal net (a goal): 6 points, umpire waves green flag and raises both index fingers.
  • Over the crossbar and between the two large posts (an over): 3 points, umpire waves red flag and raises one arm above his head.
  • Between a large post and a small post (a behind): 1 point, umpire waves white flag and raises one index finger.
Scores are written so as to clarify how many of each type of score were made as well as, like Australian football, giving the total points score for each team; for example, if a team scores one goal, four overs and 10 behinds, the score is written as 1-4-10 (28), meaning one goal (six points) plus 4 overs (4 × 3 = 12 points) plus 10 behinds (10 × 1 = 10 points), for a total score of 28 points.

Dendavia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dendavia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Ah, I thought International Rules Football was soccer. Thanks, then!

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:40 am

I understand that Babbage might be busy, but does he plan to update this any time soon? I'm trying to learn how to use xkoranate and a guide like this could really help.

Also, does anyone know how to copy and paste a list of competitors into xkoranate, or does it have to be done manually?

Homelands our
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Homelands our » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:42 am

Mesoland wrote:I understand that Babbage might be busy, but does he plan to update this any time soon? I'm trying to learn how to use xkoranate and a guide like this could really help.

Also, does anyone know how to copy and paste a list of competitors into xkoranate, or does it have to be done manually?

I always do it manually but there might be a way to copy and paste.
Join us in NSSport
Ranked 99 in football (soccer)
created the quall cup
3rd in quall cup 2 and quall cup 3
Follow the HOSL on the IDSN thread

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports