NATION

PASSWORD

Nationstates Olympic Games Discussion Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 am

++THE FOLLOWING POST IS MADE IN MY PERSONAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS NSOC PRESIDENT++
Qazox wrote:Amidst rumors that the QOC is planning on a Summer Games bid

I'd suggest you do a lot more hosting first if that was a serious hint rather than just IC chatter. You haven't hosted anything big recently enough, imo, to be given the hosting weight of the Olympics.
Слава Україні!

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Liventia wrote:++THE FOLLOWING POST IS MADE IN MY PERSONAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS NSOC PRESIDENT++
Qazox wrote:Amidst rumors that the QOC is planning on a Summer Games bid

I'd suggest you do a lot more hosting first if that was a serious hint rather than just IC chatter. You haven't hosted anything big recently enough, imo, to be given the hosting weight of the Olympics.

Just IC chatter. You can go back to whatever you do when not annoying people with meaningless b.s.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Qazox wrote:
Liventia wrote:++THE FOLLOWING POST IS MADE IN MY PERSONAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS NSOC PRESIDENT++

Just IC chatter. You can go back to whatever you do when not annoying people with meaningless b.s.

I think you'll find the only person annoyed, or who finds my comment – which I am free to make in a personal capacity – to be "meaningless b.s." is you.
Слава Україні!

Terran Borealis
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Quick Question

Postby Terran Borealis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Does the Olympics happen every year here on NSG?
Proud NerdFighter. DFTBA!

98% of internet users would cry when Facebook went down. If you are going to be the 2% that'll be just laughing around, paste this into your signature

YOU FOUND THE SECRET SPOILER! CONGRATS!

Saugeais
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Terran Borealis wrote:Does the Olympics happen every year here on NSG?

Twice a year, one for Summer one for Winter.
The Republic of Saugeais : newswire
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65
Co-host, World Cup 60 | Co-host, 47th Cup of Harmony | Co-host, Baptism of Fire 50
Hosted: 9th Winter Olympics, Copa Rushmori XV,
19th Rugby Union World Cup, Di Bradini Cup 27
Copa Rushmori VII, World Baseball Classic 21,
9th Rugby League World Cup, Market Cup 3
1st Place: Copa Rushmori 16, Cup of Harmony 58, NSCAA 4
2nd Place: World Baseball Classic 19 & 22, Gaelic Football WC 4,
Di Bradini Cup 23, CoH 54, T20 Cricket Championships 3, Rugby LWC 14
3rd Place: Copa Rushmori 5, 14, 15 & 17, Market Cup 3, RLWC 10
4th Place: DBC 15, WBC 24

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Liventia wrote:
Qazox wrote:Just IC chatter. You can go back to whatever you do when not annoying people with meaningless b.s.

I think you'll find the only person annoyed, or who finds my comment – which I am free to make in a personal capacity – to be "meaningless b.s." is you.

Back when I was a newer member of NSSports, I used to IC-ly bid to host almost every event but I made it quite clear I had no OOC intention of bidding. The IC justification was similar to that of Istanbul and of Turkey in general IRL - bid for everything, get practice, and hopefully wind up hosting something eventually. My first hosting job (IBS IV) was my first OOC bid, but about my eighth IC bid. So I don't really have a problem with people IC-ly bidding (or considering bidding) without any OOC intent to do so. However, I think it should be clear which one it is.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Terran Borealis
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Terran Borealis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Saugeais wrote:
Terran Borealis wrote:Does the Olympics happen every year here on NSG?

Sweet. Who's hosting summer next?

98% of internet users would cry when Facebook went down. If you are going to be the 2% that'll be just laughing around, paste this into your signature

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Terran Borealis wrote:
Saugeais wrote:

That's for everybody who entered last Summer's Olympics or the upcoming Winter Olympics to decide, a few months from now.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Terran Borealis
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Terran Borealis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Saintland wrote:
Terran Borealis wrote:

That's for everybody who entered last Summer's Olympics or the upcoming Winter Olympics to decide, a few months from now.

Got it.

Annar
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Annar » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Um... This is rather embarrassing, but I will be unable to play in the Olympics. Is it okay if I draw out? I know its short notice, and I'm sorry.
Last edited by Annar on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nation is Chaotic Good. Probably a bard to judge by its military power.

Sangti
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sangti » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:38 am

I have a question:

If a nation changed their name ICly, then would the trigramme that they used in the past events remain the same? Or it can be changed?
THE ROYAL UNION OF SANGTI AND THE FILINDO ISLES
Region: Esportiva | Sportswire | Trigramme: TRB | Leader: TBA | Libertad Sportswear
Founder, Trofeo de Paz | Co-organizer, IUBC, International Domestic Basketball competition (with Buyan)
Winners, World Baseball Classic 29, NSCAA 6, Federation Club Cup I, Rugby Union World Cup 23 | Qualified for World Cup 68, 69 and 71
<NWW|MOC> Well, I should probably head for bead.
<+Audio> "Tuna has been extortionate since around 2007, stop complaining, jizzballs"
<SNT-FFR> Apparently, I'm not a "good" sports RPer :p
[04:20] <Glo> Ohkay...
[04:20] <Glo> So Esper is officially down
[04:20] <@commerceheights> then how are you sending this message? :P

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Sangti wrote:I have a question:

If a nation changed their name ICly, then would the trigramme that they used in the past events remain the same? Or it can be changed?

It would be up to you, I think. If however if you change it and Sangti CTEd, Sangti's trigramme I would think be available again. Personally, I would keep your current trigramme and move it to your new nation.
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Qazox wrote:

It would be up to you, I think. If however if you change it and Sangti CTEd, Sangti's trigramme I would think be available again. Personally, I would keep your current trigramme and move it to your new nation.

Trigrams are chosen by the host for each Games. There’s no requirement for consistency between Games—you yourself have had more than one!—and ceasing to exist has nothing to do with anything.

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Personally, I'd see it as equivalent to what happened following the breakup of the USSR. Most people, including most Russians, would probably consider the USSR's accomplishments to be those of Russia, but no record book listing the results of the 1980 Winter Olympics is going to say that Russia lost in the gold medal ice hockey game to the USA.

On another topic, I posted an updated list of valid and invalid demonstration event signups over on the signup thread. These have been recorded, conditional upon the acceptance of the relevant nation's medal event signups. I'll be permitting demonstration event signups (as well as additions, corrections and withdrawals), by nations signed up for medal events, for 24 hours after the closing of medal event signups, since demonstration event signups opened on the latter end of the signup period after many had already signed up. Corrections of invalid demonstration event signups will be accepted until 48 hours after the closing of medal event signups, so long as the nation in question validly signed up for medal events.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Commerce Heights wrote:
Qazox wrote:It would be up to you, I think. If however if you change it and Sangti CTEd, Sangti's trigramme I would think be available again. Personally, I would keep your current trigramme and move it to your new nation.

Trigrams are chosen by the host for each Games. There’s no requirement for consistency between Games—you yourself have had more than one!—and ceasing to exist has nothing to do with anything.

A host gave me a 2nd one, slight difference, CH.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Qazox wrote:
Commerce Heights wrote:Trigrams are chosen by the host for each Games. There’s no requirement for consistency between Games—you yourself have had more than one!—and ceasing to exist has nothing to do with anything.

A slight difference from “Trigrams are chosen by the host for each Games”? Must be very slight indeed! :P

Northern Sunrise Islands
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Sunrise Islands » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Qazox wrote:
Commerce Heights wrote:Trigrams are chosen by the host for each Games. There’s no requirement for consistency between Games—you yourself have had more than one!—and ceasing to exist has nothing to do with anything.

Sudbury, I think you'd like your coffee right now, don't ya? :rofl:
Last edited by Northern Sunrise Islands on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tails... Watch out, you're gonna crash, aaaaah!
Project +90 | Sunrise's Sportwires (shared with Dainer) | PokéCard ~ Label Guide
Champion: WC 75 and 76, U-15 WC 4 and 6, DBC 29 and 41
Now known as Kita-Hinode

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Saintland wrote:1980 Winter Olympics is going to say that Russia lost in the gold medal ice hockey game to the USA.

In A gold medal match. There was more than one, and if the US had lost against Finland, they would've finished with Silver.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Darmen wrote:
Saintland wrote:1980 Winter Olympics is going to say that Russia lost in the gold medal ice hockey game to the USA.

In A gold medal match. There was more than one, and if the US had lost against Finland, they would've finished with Silver.

Wrong, they would have finished with bronze. The Finns would then have 3 points instead of 1, and would own the tiebreak on head-to-head which appears to be the first tiebreak (Finland ranked ahead of Canada in an earlier stage despite being tied on points and having an inferior goal differential.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hocke ... r_Olympics

Don't feel bad.... NBC got it wrong this morning too. They said the USA wouldn't have won any medal at all.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Christian Isles
Attaché

Founded: Nov 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Isles » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Is this forum still in use.

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Christian Isles wrote:Is this forum still in use.

Of course NS Sports is still in use, although I don't know why you'd ask that question in the Olympics discussion thread.
Why I left NS Sports

Christian Isles
Attaché

Founded: Nov 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Isles » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:03 pm

Saintland wrote:
Christian Isles wrote:Is this forum still in use.

Of course NS Sports is still in use, although I don't know why you'd ask that question in the Olympics discussion thread.

Sorry I meant is the Olympic discussion thread still in use.

Britonisea
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2012

Postby Britonisea » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 am

I have 2 questions...

1. Is there a paralympic games (Summer or Winter)
2. Is there a childrens olympic-paralymic games?

There might be follow up questions!
Rexubliqué Univexserellué de Brityunik #BRI
Follow Britonish Television on Twitter: TVBBritonisea
WorldVision Top 9 | WorldVision Factbook
1st - 162 points - WV112 (314 J+T)
1st - 154 points - WV81
1st - 139 points - WV47
1st - 138 points - WV99 (258 J+T)
1st - 134 points - WV87 (242 J+T)
1st - 132 points - WV73
1st - 117 points - WV64
1st - 113 points - WV41
1st - 98 points - WV63

World Hit Festival Top 9 | World Hit Festival Factbook
1st - 51 points - WHF50
1st - 42 points - WHF59
1st - 38 points - WHF52
1st - 34 points - WHF42
1st - 34 points - WHF48
1st - 33 points - WHF68
1st - 28 points - WHF46
1st - 28 points - WHF37
1st - 20 points - WHF26

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:34 am

Britonisea wrote:I have 2 questions...

1.no
2.no
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Jeckland wrote:
Britonisea wrote:I have 2 questions...

1.no
2.no

Research is your friend.

There has been one Winter Paralympic Games. The Summer Paralympics are too large an event (even larger than the Summer Olympics) for anyone to have attempted to host them yet.

People have tried—and failed, twice—to hold "Youth Games" style events.

In both cases, neither the Paralympics nor the Youth Games are affiliated to the NS Olympic Council.

But on a separate (although linked) note, I hosted the first (and only) complete Winter Paralympics, so I consider myself de facto 'in charge' of the Paralympics on NS.
Слава Україні!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports