NATION

PASSWORD

Nationstates Olympic Games Discussion Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Teremaran Olympics Delegation
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Teremaran Olympics Delegation » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:54 pm

If we get our sign up rejected and its after the deadline, will we have time to fix any errors and re-submit?

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:04 am

If what is wrong with it is fixable in a matter of minutes or hours, I'll give you a chance... but my advice is to get it right the first time.

Teremaran Olympics Delegation
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2017

Postby Teremaran Olympics Delegation » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:13 pm

Kelssek wrote:If what is wrong with it is fixable in a matter of minutes or hours, I'll give you a chance... but my advice is to get it right the first time.

Well, we did our best with many hours put in to get it right the first time. But still, not sure what to do with this:
Kelssek wrote:Delegations that shouldn't have modified event names but I caught some of them and you hopefully won't be missing any entries in the end
Teremaran Olympic Delegation

We copied your example google sheet, only filling in the blanks on Column A, then copied it over to our sign up post as is. So...not sure how event names could have gotten modified or how to fix it based off that not very specific direction.
Last edited by Teremaran Olympics Delegation on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:32 pm

Both those entries were missing the extra e in "SpeeedSkating". I posted about this a while ago though I don't blame more recent entrants for missing the warning not to "correct" the event names in anyway. Also, I accidentally missed Teremara and Xuande-Xiphoi on the latest list of checked signups.

Entries that are in prior to the deadline will be given a chance to make corrections if anything minor is wrong but almost everyone seems to be able to get it right first time so really, I don't expect any issues.

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:28 pm

Here are the sport files created and used in the 15th Winter Olympics:

Curling draw shot challenge (tiebreaker)
Snowboarding - women's parallel slalom qualification
Snowboarding - men's parallel slalom qualification

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Sat May 08, 2021 6:03 am

Terranean Coast / Bunjil Bid for the Games of the XV Olympiad

About the region (host cities)

In an effort to revitalise the Terranean Coast / Bunjil area, the Electrum Government, in association with the Electrum Olympic Committee, has chosen to bid for the Olympics in an entirely new way. Instead of sports being spread across one or two cities, this Summer Olympics will span across an entire region, with five host cities all across the eastern Electrumite coast. The selected host cities are collectively the fourth to seventh largest cities in Electrum, as well as one of two of Electrum's territories. The focus on these Games is sustainability and the environment, so no new venues will be built with existing facilities being used and/or upgraded. To facilitate emissions free travel, The Computator, a fifth dimensional being, and one of Electrum's heads of state, has opened up wormholes between all of the different cities for the duration of the Olympic Games (it would be rather awkward to decimate the entire transport industry because of wormholes). Ticket holders and athletes are invited to use the wormholes, but side effects include nausea and liquids coming out of both ends. You have been warned.

Somer - Electrum's carnival and family city. Home to theme parks, rainforests, country clubs and crystalline beaches. Known for being the one-time host of the Terranean Slam. The richer parts in town live higher up on the hills. Site of opening ceremony.

Agri - Electrum's agricultural foodbowl in a natural river delta system in northeastern Electrum. Site of Electrum's sole "pacifist force". Features Sailors Stadium, which will have a swimming pool installed underneath the grass so that nearly all of the modern pentathlon events can be held in the one place -- the Lin Stables are just a short walk away. Passionate crowds who are known to light flares. Site of closing ceremony.

Port Grenville - Windswept city on the Helios Peninsula that will host martial arts and some of the more traditional Olympic sports. Known for its blustery conditions and pub/beer culture.

Fairleigh-Warburton - Twin cities known for its connection to the country of New Gelderland to its south. Subsequently, it has adopted many elements of Gelder culture including colourful houses, windmills and a love for fine dining.

Kale - Capital of Kale Island, an island that is majority indigenous. Nicknamed the 'Wild Isle', contains jungles for mountain biking, and a central Lake Mittiyack with perfect conditions for rowing/canoeing. Baseball is the top sport played on this island, thanks to its connection to Coconut Isle, in Esportiva, who has won an edition of the International Baseball Slam.
Somer - 93 medal events
Opening ceremony - Somersville Stadium
Marathon swimming - Bittern Beach
Diving - Somer Olympic Natatorium
Swimming - Somer Olympic Natatorium
BMX Cycling - Somer Urban Park
3x3 Basketball - Somer Urban Park
Badminton - Brewster Hall
Synchronized swimming - Somer Olympic Natatorium
Table tennis - Brewster Hall
Water Polo - Somer Olympic Natatorium
Canoe-slalom - Somer Urban Park
Beach volleyball - Ridgeway Bay Arena
Football - Somersville Stadium
Skateboard - Somer Urban Park
Sport Climbing - Somer Urban Park
Surfing - Ridgeway Bay
Tennis - Somer Country Club (clay)
Triathlon - Bittern Beach

Agri - 92 medal events
Closing ceremony - Agri Cricket Ground
Equestrian - Lin Stables
Archery - Mallow Park
Athletics - Agri Cricket Ground
Fencing - Agri Town Hall
Modern Pentathlon - Sailors Stadium (all non-Equestrian components)
Shooting - Mallow Park
Rugby sevens - Sailors Stadium

Port Grenville - 76 medal events
Track cycling - Gruber Velodrome
Gymnastics - Waterways Indoor Arena
Golf - Port Grenville Country Club
Judo - Grenville Guildhall
Karate - Grenville Guildhall
Sailing - Black Stone Marina
Taekwondo - Grenville Guildhall

Fairleigh-Warburton - 68 medal events
Basketball - Warburton University
Road cycling - Fairleigh to Nassau Bay route and Geldectrum circuit
Indoor volleyball - Warburton University
Handball - Warburton University
Field hockey - Electrum Hockey Association Stadium
Weightlifting - Fairleigh Convention Centre
Wrestling - Fairleigh Convention Centre
Boxing - Tea Tree Garden
*Warburton University has several side arenas that will be used in the group stage.

Kale Island - 32 medal events
Mountain biking - South Gully National Park
Baseball-softball - Margaret Memorial Field
Canoe-sprint - Lake Mittiyack
Rowing - Lake Mittiyack

OOC details

Experience
I've hosted/co-hosted several Olympic Games (Games of the X Olympiad with New Gelderland, and the XI to the XIII Winter Olympics), organised the NationStates Tennis Tour and hosted two World Cup Committee events (a World Cup and the most recent Baptism of Fire).

Scorination details
All events will be scorinated on the latest version of xkoranate and updated versions of files that I will be using will be made publicly available. All extended list events will be played except for Women's 25m rapid fire pistol and the light flyweight/light welterweight boxing weight categories. No demonstration events will be played. Eighteen days of scorination are expected.

As per previous hostings of the Olympic Games, the MMAB system will be used to discourage min-maxing. This depends on the size of the delegation, and will follow the system used by Banija and Liventia:

1–30 entries: Full MMAB for any STDEV
31–80 entries: Full MMAB for STDEV of 35 or less
81–175 entries: Full MMAB for STDEV of 30 or less
176–300 entries: Full MMAB for STDEV of 25 or less
301+ entries: Full MMAB for STDEV of 20 or less

The roleplay bonus will be weighted in the following way: MMAB (20%), cumulative roleplay score (20%), best roleplay in the past two cutoffs (30%), daily roleplay (30%). The bonus is designed to reward both quality (even if it's occasional) and quantity.

All users will be given a maximum of six hundred entries that can be spread across one or two submitted delegations. A delegation may comprise a single country or a unified team. Unified teams can be submitted on the condition that all nations in the unified team are separate nations on NationStates. The average skill of all athletes submitted by a delegation can be no more than 50. Roleplays for one delegation will not provide a bonus to any other delegation, but roleplays by any nation in a unified team will count for all unified team members.

For the purposes of the "Rules regarding withdrawing a nation from an NS Sport RP", a nation is considered to have signed up when I accept their entry. This is due to my process in processing sign ups (i.e. I add them immediately once accepted). If nations wish to withdraw, their roleplay bonus will be set to zero without any other intervention. The same procedure is used should a nation cease to exist during the Olympics.

Provisional schedule
21st June - Start sign ups (or earlier)
8th August - Indicative start date

Final comments
As always, I'm open to questions about the bid. I'm also happy to tweak my bid in response to your feedback. Thanks to The Grearish Union for creating my bid logo.
Last edited by Electrum on Thu May 27, 2021 1:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008

Postby Liventia » Sat May 08, 2021 6:23 am

With a bid now public, the deadline for host bids will be 8 June 2021, a month from now.
Слава Україні!

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sat May 08, 2021 6:34 am

Q for the bidder. If someone has a question, concern, etc. during the Olympics, do you think you will be able to respond to them in reasonably good faith?
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 am

Graintfjall wrote:Q for the bidder. If someone has a question, concern, etc. during the Olympics, do you think you will be able to respond to them in reasonably good faith?

Yes... I don't see why I would respond to a question in bad faith?

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sat May 08, 2021 9:17 am

In general no, you don't seem capable of responding in good faith. Just last night you decided it would be ho-ho-hilarious to take the piss out of me for sharing a simple anecdote.

You're a very technically competent host but communication is also an important part of hosting and I don't think I'd really enjoy an Olympics where I felt I couldn't ask questions of the host without being mocked in response.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sat May 08, 2021 9:29 am

Graintfjall wrote:In general no, you don't seem capable of responding in good faith. Just last night you decided it would be ho-ho-hilarious to take the piss out of me for sharing a simple anecdote.

You're a very technically competent host but communication is also an important part of hosting and I don't think I'd really enjoy an Olympics where I felt I couldn't ask questions of the host without being mocked in response.

He's hosted before and it was one of the better-ran Olympics I have participated in. I have total confidence in his ability to both host and communicate effectively.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Sat May 08, 2021 9:52 am

Fwiw, I'm not a favourite of most of the NS Sports old guard but in nearly seven years of knowing Electrum across NS Sport, WorldVision and NSG Senate I've never known them to be anything but a fair-minded, even-handed professional.
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sat May 08, 2021 9:58 am

Graintfjall wrote:In general no, you don't seem capable of responding in good faith. Just last night you decided it would be ho-ho-hilarious to take the piss out of me for sharing a simple anecdote.

I'm very confused by this comment.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Mytanija
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mytanija » Sat May 08, 2021 4:40 pm

Edit: substantively dealt with in Electrum’s post below.
Last edited by Mytanija on Sat May 08, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FEDERATIVNA REPUBLIKA MYTANIJA
Federal Republic of Mytannion

Capital: Esca
Population: c. 49,600,000
Demonym: Mytanar

Interested in Mytanar sport? Visit the Mytanski sportski mediji web page

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Sat May 08, 2021 4:52 pm

Okay that conversation on Discord yesterday -- I genuinely did not know your anecdote and I found it interesting that it was connected to a prominent TV channel over here. The intent of the writer does not read well in writing. It could have been worded better and I apologise for that. I do think it would have been better that you reached out to me directly and told me "hey I didn't like the way you spoke to me then" so we could have cleared it up instead of making me try and guess what you were talking about in that initial question. The way you worded your response as a sweeping statement, I believe, does not represent the vast majority of interactions I've had on these forums.

Ask anyone on the Got Issues forum on the advice I provided on their drafts, including the authors of the issues I edited/eventually got edited. Or ask the people whose drafts I've commented on in the Security Council forum as to whether I've interacted with people in good faith. I've also mentored many people to get their issues drafts and Security Council drafts over the line, including Indusse and Drawkland. I've collaborated with Robespierre to write, commend and acknowledge some long-term NS Sports users. I genuinely want to see people's writing be put into the game. In fact, in my interactions with others, I always assume people act in good faith.

On the technical side, I've helped new NationStates Tennis Tour hosts by not only giving them the opportunity to host tournaments, but also maximise their chances of doing well (which they always do) by providing spreadsheets, guides and advice. The NSTT hosts always know that my door is open to provide assistance. NSTT tournaments are some of the hardest to host given the number of players and complex seeding dynamics. I'm very proud of all of my hosts. I've also invited new NSTT roleplayers to participate on Discord on both our server and the general NS Sports server, so that they can participate more in the community. I encouraged and recommended that Banija cohost the last Summer Olympics with Aels. They did such a great job last time.

And, you can see my interactions with people in the last problem alerts thread for the last Summer Olympics I hosted, where I went back and recreated host files, answered people's questions and more.

I can't believe I had to evidence by interactions of working in good faith, but here we are. I genuinely hope this addresses your concerns in the fullest manner.

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sat May 08, 2021 7:30 pm

I don't see where a place called Bunjil figures into this, so I'd push for the location to be simply billed as "Terranean Coast".

Otherwise I don't have anything to add at this point.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Sat May 08, 2021 8:34 pm

Kelssek wrote:I don't see where a place called Bunjil figures into this, so I'd push for the location to be simply billed as "Terranean Coast".

Otherwise I don't have anything to add at this point.

Ah sorry, it's meant as a dual naming thing. Hope it clears it up -- I intend to elaborate more in the RP thread.

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm

Fair enough. I apologize.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 am

The new files I will use are here.

The only limitation is that boxing results no longer spit out TKO/KO results anymore, just the judge's decision. Unfortunately this is associated with how xkoranate does its paradigms.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Thu May 27, 2021 1:46 am

Changed wording from best roleplay in the past three cutoffs to past two cutoffs -- I expect 18 scorinations so having a bonus every three seemed a bit low.

I am also thinking about introducing a formula to introduce a smoother STDEV calculation instead of the hard cut offs at 30, 80, 175, 300 entries (the formula would spit out a maximum allowable STDEV in line with what the current range is). Proposed formula is here. In this formula, people under thirty entries will still have basically no MMAB penalty.
Last edited by Electrum on Sun May 30, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:18 am

Liventia wrote:With a bid now public, the deadline for host bids will be 8 June 2021, a month from now.

A reminder that there is one day left to present a competing bid.
Слава Україні!

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:05 pm

With no other competing bids, the host vote will be opened in approximately 10 hours or so from now when I wake up in the morning and have had time to double check the list of eligible voters.
Слава Україні!

Olympic Council
Secretary

Founded: Jan 10, 2010

Postby Olympic Council » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:28 am

Liventia wrote:With no other competing bids, the host vote will be opened in approximately 10 hours or so from now when I wake up in the morning and have had time to double check the list of eligible voters.

And the host vote is now open.

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 am

Olympic Council wrote:
Liventia wrote:With no other competing bids, the host vote will be opened in approximately 10 hours or so from now when I wake up in the morning and have had time to double check the list of eligible voters.

And the host vote is now open.

Results.
Слава Україні!

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:36 am

Thank you all very much indeed :)

Let's get the ball rolling here!