NATION

PASSWORD

Constructing A New Nationstates Economic Model

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
Largent
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Constructing A New Nationstates Economic Model

Postby Largent » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi all,

Its been a terribly long time since I was active on this site and I figured a nice little project might be a good way to try to get back into the swing of things over the holiday break. I feel as though the current method of determining economic statistics for nations is inadequate. I think between all the collective knowledge and dedication that folks on this site have displayed we could really add a new layer of depth to the game if we focused that energy in the right way.

The goal: To take the following data: Population, tax rate, land size, economic classification, civil rights classification, political freedoms classification, and extrapolate the following:

Aggregate Demand
Aggregate Supply
Real GDP
Potential GDP (and the ability to forecast future PGDP)
The components of GDP (C,I,G,X)
Inflation rates
Interest rates
Exchange rates
Labor Force
Unemployment
Productivity
Savings
Consumer Confidence
Stock Indexes

And last but not least: a general desire to use these dynamic statistics as elements in role play that will influence decision making. IE - what is our target inflation rate and will expanding our defense budget and running up a deficit be worth the increase in interest rates and a decline in areas such as investment?

The methodology:

Use real world economic data to create a model that will be half art and half science. It will incorporate hard data from the game as well as features that players incorporate to provide realistic estimates in the above areas and possibly others that will enhance role-play experiences.

(yeah, that was vague because I'm not 100% sure of the most efficient way of going about doing this yet. It will most likely involve a lot of scatter plots, regressions, and distributions)

In a perfect world:

Players will be able to simply plug in a few numbers and ratings and get initial statistics that will require updates every once in a while depending on how in depth players want their economies to be.

If anyone out there has an interest in this sort of thing I am certainly not opposed to have some help with this. Also if people could offer their opinions to let me know if they see any actual value in this project I would really appreciate the input :)

Virtuous Greed
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Virtuous Greed » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:20 pm

Your project intrigues me. I have very limited economic knowledge, however I would be more than willing to help you with the areas that I can. Feel free to telegram me with any suggestions. If you need a free market economy to base your numbers off of you're more than welcome to use Virtuous Greed's, it's economy has been based off of the tenets of objectivism.
The Tenpenny Holding Co. runs some of Virtuous Greed's largest businesses. To check out it's privately held Liberty International Banking Corp. go here: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75599

Orlkjestad
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlkjestad » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:05 am

Largent wrote:Hi all,

Its been a terribly long time since I was active on this site and I figured a nice little project might be a good way to try to get back into the swing of things over the holiday break. I feel as though the current method of determining economic statistics for nations is inadequate. I think between all the collective knowledge and dedication that folks on this site have displayed we could really add a new layer of depth to the game if we focused that energy in the right way.

The goal: To take the following data: Population, tax rate, land size, economic classification, civil rights classification, political freedoms classification, and extrapolate the following:

Aggregate Demand
Aggregate Supply
Real GDP
Potential GDP (and the ability to forecast future PGDP)
The components of GDP (C,I,G,X)
Inflation rates
Interest rates
Exchange rates
Labor Force
Unemployment
Productivity
Savings
Consumer Confidence
Stock Indexes

And last but not least: a general desire to use these dynamic statistics as elements in role play that will influence decision making. IE - what is our target inflation rate and will expanding our defense budget and running up a deficit be worth the increase in interest rates and a decline in areas such as investment?

The methodology:

Use real world economic data to create a model that will be half art and half science. It will incorporate hard data from the game as well as features that players incorporate to provide realistic estimates in the above areas and possibly others that will enhance role-play experiences.

(yeah, that was vague because I'm not 100% sure of the most efficient way of going about doing this yet. It will most likely involve a lot of scatter plots, regressions, and distributions)

In a perfect world:

Players will be able to simply plug in a few numbers and ratings and get initial statistics that will require updates every once in a while depending on how in depth players want their economies to be.

If anyone out there has an interest in this sort of thing I am certainly not opposed to have some help with this. Also if people could offer their opinions to let me know if they see any actual value in this project I would really appreciate the input :)

It's been done. Check on SunsetRPG.
The Reformed Republican Union Of Orlkjestad
Comrade-President Leon Palantine
Vice President Arcturo Tarentum
Secretary Of Foreign Affaires Marco Valentia
Storefronts: They're all under construction, please go away
Alliances: Forever alone
Other Threads: The Severan Faith
Alert Levels
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Terrorism Alert Levels: [Low] Guarded Elevated High Severe

"Although we see the world through different eyes, we share the same idea of paradise." -The Pet Shop Boys in Se A Vida E

Largent
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Largent » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:04 pm

I understand the work that has already been done by Sunset, Commerce Heights, and many others, but I think a better, more comprehensive model can be made.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:23 pm

While i understand what you ae trying to accomplish, and its great potential. I do have to remind you that a lot of people in NS does not really know a lot about the law of economics and its characteristics.

Might i suggest doing it slowly, and not jumping with too much statistic at once. We'll see how people will support this idea, and once the idea has been established more or less, then we start expanding the stastistics.

~Yohannes~
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Yohannes wrote:While i understand what you ae trying to accomplish, and its great potential. I do have to remind you that a lot of people in NS does not really know a lot about the law of economics and its characteristics.

Might i suggest doing it slowly, and not jumping with too much statistic at once. We'll see how people will support this idea, and once the idea has been established more or less, then we start expanding the stastistics.

~Yohannes~

D:< Insulting people's intelligence are we?

EDIT: Ack! I posted in GET. D:<
Last edited by Hornopolis on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/11/11

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Hornopolis wrote:-snip-
D:< Insulting people's intelligence are we?

I am sorry me' matey Horno, but from my experience, it is the fact. ;)
Last edited by Yohannes on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Derpeda
Envoy

Founded: Jul 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Derpeda » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:49 am

I would support this project. A more accurate RP experience is always desirable to me.

Calmerica
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Calmerica » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:27 am

This looks realistic, and will make the economic experience more...realistic I think.

Good luck with this!
Enadia ¦ Calmerica ¦ Enadia Discord
Economic Left/Right: 2.00 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.50
Alternate History
Cartographers Guild
Selective Constitutionalism
CDAR: [5] 4 3 2 1
Libertas of Calmerica
Chancellor: Ivan Moldavi (2006)
Population: 23,310,340
Military: 835,000 (200,000 reserve)

Advertisement