NATION

PASSWORD

A Guide To Pimp My Gun

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

A Guide To Pimp My Gun

Postby New Korongo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:53 pm

REBUILDING
A Guide To Pimp My Gun

Pimp My Gun is a unique tool that allows anyone without any drawing and/or firearm experience create an image of a gun which can be very useful but the fact that anyone can use it is why it is criticized so much and why mistakes are commonly made. Hopefully this guide will help people be able to design good quality guns which could actually have a chance of working in real life.

The Beginning
When you first decide you want to create a gun in pimp my gun you should first think about what you want to create, if you just randomly put together parts you will start running into problems as soon as you begin. First write down a list of specifications you wish your gun to have:
Type of Firearm: Assault Rifle
Bullpup or Traditional: Traditional
Length: 1,010 mm
Barrel Length: 508 mm

Cartridge: 5.56 x 45 mm
Desired Action: Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt
Desired Feed System: 20 round magazine
Desired Sights: iron
Desired Attachments: foward grip
Furniture: polymer

This will act as a basic outline of your weapon and help guide the construction of your weapon.

Research
You should do a little research into similar weapons in real life, this will allow you to be much more accurate in the details of how the weapon actually works and if it would be suitable for it's desired purpose, for example a sniper rifle would not have a 100mm long barrel.

The Inner Workings
When you first start building your weapon in Pimp My Gun begin with the inner components, although the full inner workings of weapons are not available in PMG things such as the barrel, bolt and gas block are. If you can set these out realistically you can build around them creating a more realistic weapon.

The barrel, bolt, gas tube and gas block of a gun similar to an M4, the gas block in this weapon is actually located within the front sight so if you don't put the sight on in this system it would not work.

The Receiver
Most of the recievers in Pimp My Gun have several different parts:
Upper Receiver
The Upper receiver is where the ejection port resides and is also where the barrel joins the weapon.
Lower Receiver
The lower receiver is normally where the magazine is found as well as the trigger mechanism.
Bolt
The bolt of gun is designed to block the end of the chamber when firing the gun, when it pulls back it also extracts the spent casing from the chamber and ejects it through the ejection port.
Dust Cover
The dust cover is designed to keep things like dust and mud entering the mechanism. When it is closed it covers the ejection port so it must be opened to fire.

Building the Receiver
You must first select the lower receiver, choose one that best suits your weapon. Check that the magwell fits you desired magazine. Then comes the upper receiver, this needs to fit reasonably well with the lower receiver and must have an ejection port large enough to eject the desired ammunition, if it does not the weapon would always jam. The bolt and dust cover are not to hard to position.

Dust cover in the open position.

Barrel Alignment
Barrel Alignment is something that sometimes goes wrong and really depends on the receiver you have selected.
Some guns have the barrel aligned with the ejector port like on the XM8 shown above or slightly above like on the M16 shown below.
On older and bullpup weapons the ejection port is normally above the barrel shown below with the AK-47 and L85.Image
If you want to get the alignment accurate do some research.
Last edited by New Korongo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Wrong forum.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Oh god no... Not more pimpmygun...

And to add to that, encouraging new players to take the short route upon creating their own military storefront, which will certainly, and eventually led in the long run to the downgrading of the quality of the global economies and trade in general.
Last edited by Yohannes on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Scalietti
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:02 pm

So you made a guide teaching people how to create guns which don't actually work IRL.

And to add to that, encouraging new players to take the short route upon creating their own military storefront, which will certainly, and eventually led in the long run to the downgrading of the quality of the global economies and trade in general.

Trust me, that ship has long sailed.
Last edited by Scalietti on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have a signature.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:52 pm

The average length of stay for a n00bfront on GE&T is a few weeks, at best. The problem is, there are so many n00bfronts out there, that those who have a clue about what they are doing, cannot be seen amongst the sheer mass of those who do not.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

New Korongo
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:54 pm

The only reason i use PMG is because i suck at other programs

No endorse
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby No endorse » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:55 pm

To the opening post: no.

Guns don't work like legos, no matter what PMGfail may be trying to promote. Internal components are designed to work together, despite the apparent prettiness of tossing a barrel on, maybe this lower, and an upper that's got nothing to do with any of the above.

@ barrel complaints: the M14 says no.

Lamoni wrote:

The average length of stay for a n00bfront on GE&T is a few weeks, at best. The problem is, there are so many n00bfronts out there, that those who have a clue about what they are doing, cannot be seen amongst the sheer mass of those who do not.

*grumbles @ Groupe AIR*
Last edited by No endorse on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:We had better trolls back in the day. None of this "I DEKLARZ WUR" stuff. Our trolls could troll you with a fifteen page (in MSword) document. And you couldn't fault their spelling because in-browser spellcheck didn't exist back then.

Crucesignatorum
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Crucesignatorum » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:09 am

I am curious then as to how you believe players should be able to publish their weapons. I personally have never seen another program like PMG so to me it presents a good opportunity. Let's be frank here, descriptions are nice but when it comes down to it with weapons whaat sells people is pictures. How can somebody who maybe lacks all artistic skill be expected to produce anything then?

New Korongo
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:17 pm

No endorse wrote:To the opening post: no.

Guns don't work like legos, no matter what PMGfail may be trying to promote. Internal components are designed to work together, despite the apparent prettiness of tossing a barrel on, maybe this lower, and an upper that's got nothing to do with any of the above.

They sort of do fit togeather like lego, i mean take an M4 for example. You can buy lots of different aftermarket parts from sites such as http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/. Hell, you can fire .50 ammo from an M4 by just changing the upper reciever.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Crucesignatorum wrote:I am curious then as to how you believe players should be able to publish their weapons. I personally have never seen another program like PMG so to me it presents a good opportunity. Let's be frank here, descriptions are nice but when it comes down to it with weapons whaat sells people is pictures. How can somebody who maybe lacks all artistic skill be expected to produce anything then?

I cannot disagree more with what you just said. I would sooner buy a product without or with an RL picture that has real thought and effort put into it, rather than buy something which comprises of a PMG image and a mismatched stat-block. I am certain the majority of NS feels the same way. Pictures are a nice way to round out your product, they aren't THE product.

The main issue people have with PMG is that is isn't drawing a gun, its just fitting together random parts of existing guns to create something that resembles a gun. As no endorse stated, the internal components need to work together in harmony and for PMG, internal components aren't seen and therefore aren't considered by the drawer. I have seen few products on PMG that could actually work IRL.

I also don't believe it is too hard to use MSPaint or Paint.net to draw a good gun. If I can draw a whole fighter jet on MSPaint, surely a rifle isn't out of anybody's depth. Yes it will be difficult, yes it will be time consuming and no you won't get it first try, but the end result will ultimately be a more rewarding picture that is feasible. On top of that, you will be able to further your understanding of how a firearm works so you can further add to your description.

Ill go on the record to state that I am not against people using PMG, if it is used correctly with real thought applied to the components of a gun. However, all it seems to be doing at the present is encouraging a slap-happy and thoughtless mindset amongst the newer GE&T users rather than actually doing any design work.
Last edited by Vitaphone Racing on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

New Korongo
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:35 pm

So using PMG i some how loose all my rights to knowledge about firearms.
And how is using paint better show you how the internal components work.
Last edited by New Korongo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:50 pm

So using PMG i some how loose all my rights to knowledge about firearms.

If people had knowlege about firearms in the first place there wouldn't be an issue with PMG. Recent offerings suggest otherwise however.

And how is using paint better show you how the internal components work.

Quoting No Endorse:
However, for those of us that actually understand what's going on under it all, PMG's LEGO approach to firearms is messed up. Hacking out something basic in paint really isn't hard.

I'm being entirely serious. To those of us on NSD, that makes sense. It's a vague schematic of a gas delayed blowback action rifle with a top ejection tube. The variable mags are part of the design, it can chamber various length rounds.

No one really cares that it looks like an M14, a Mosin, and an Arisaka got frisky, though drawing such really isn't hard. (MSPaint isn't about skills, it's about knowing what the fark a line is and how to use the pencil tool while really zoomed in. Then knowing how to use the curve and line tools can be useful. Oh, and patience, it's really about patience)

The major argument with PMG is that it promotes "designing" without knowing what the fark is actually going on. People slap on grips, triggers, barrels, lowers, uppers, totally disregarding what could actually work. And I'm not talking about strapping together AR-15 and AKM parts, I'm talking about basic shit like "the barrel and chamber ought to be somewhat in line" and "your round can't actually fit down the barrel," the most basic of stuff. Plus it adds this hilarious notion that an image is needed for a design. It's nice, but not required.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

New Korongo
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Here is something that will make you anti-PMG people happy, i am thinking about shutting Louden Arms down after i have completed all the orders.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:30 pm

New Korongo wrote:Here is something that will make you anti-PMG people happy, i am thinking about shutting Louden Arms down after i have completed all the orders.

No, your Louden Arms is not bad, it is in fact, much better than ever before.
The fact is that you need to work with us to prevent noobs who think that they can get away with using pimpmygun for the alternative of creating a real storefront, so that they don't noobspam the global economies and trade.
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

New Korongo
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Ok

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:38 pm

New Korongo wrote:Here is something that will make you anti-PMG people happy, i am thinking about shutting Louden Arms down after i have completed all the orders.

And what good will that do?

The forest is blinding you to the trees. The issue is not with PMG, the issue is with sub-standard design work. I for one don't have anything against the use of PMG. I do, on the other hand, have issues with guns that don't have the chamber and the barrel alligned.

Why don't you turn this guide around and deal with some of the common mistakes that people make on PMG, and try to instil a bit of knowledge about firearms in people that really have none. If you could teach people how to make a proper, working rifle on PMG that has all the components correctly placed, that would be swell.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:

And what good will that do?

The forest is blinding you to the trees. The issue is not with PMG, the issue is with sub-standard design work. I for one don't have anything against the use of PMG. I do, on the other hand, have issues with guns that don't have the chamber and the barrel alligned.

Why don't you turn this guide around and deal with some of the common mistakes that people make on PMG, and try to instil a bit of knowledge about firearms in people that really have none. If you could teach people how to make a proper, working rifle on PMG that has all the components correctly placed, that would be swell.

^This

If you can turn this into a guide that shows people how to correctly make a working firearm on PMG rather than just too long, too short, Ill get it NSTrainer approved and link it to my guide.
[strike]I'm a former NS Mentor! If you have any roleplaying related questions, feel free to ask me over telegram!

If I ever appear to be inactive, it's because I am.

Crucesignatorum
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Crucesignatorum » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:10 pm

I am confused why there is a requirement for all of the internals to be explained. If the picture is just a representation of the technology, with a full description underneath, isn't it safe to assume that all the internals work and it is merely the cosmetic look of the body that we see "slapped together?" Also, drawing in paint in my mind doesn't make a firearms internals work any better than in PMG. Unless you are providing full cutaways with real-life proven internals then there is really no point because than it is just a hack-job drawing which you wasted allot of time in.

Also, you can't expect people to be able to explain and/or draw every internal of a gun that may not be even made out of existing tech and actually know what they are doing.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Crucesignatorum wrote:I am confused why there is a requirement for all of the internals to be explained. If the picture is just a representation of the technology, with a full description underneath, isn't it safe to assume that all the internals work and it is merely the cosmetic look of the body that we see "slapped together?" Also, drawing in paint in my mind doesn't make a firearms internals work any better than in PMG. Unless you are providing full cutaways with real-life proven internals then there is really no point because than it is just a hack-job drawing which you wasted allot of time in.

Also, you can't expect people to be able to explain and/or draw every internal of a gun that may not be even made out of existing tech and actually know what they are doing.

Then don't create a military storefront. Just buy from the storefronts already there. It is better than seeing spam all over global economies and trade of "once a week existing storefronts"

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Now, this is looking much better.

Crucesignatorum wrote:I am confused why there is a requirement for all of the internals to be explained. If the picture is just a representation of the technology, with a full description underneath, isn't it safe to assume that all the internals work and it is merely the cosmetic look of the body that we see "slapped together?"

Then in that case, why do people take car's for a test drive when they can just look at it and assume that it drives well? A picture is meant to be a visual demonstration of your product, it is not meant to double as the explanation for your product. When people want to buy something they don't want to buy for the sake of buying or just for the cool picture, they want to know what they are getting is going to work, how it is going to work and what sets this design apart from the others. No existing real life company trades purely on face value, so I can't see why you would think this is an acceptable practice on NS.

Also, drawing in paint in my mind doesn't make a firearms internals work any better than in PMG. Unless you are providing full cutaways with real-life proven internals then there is really no point because than it is just a hack-job drawing which you wasted allot of time in.

It does, because in PMG you can slap parts together wherever you want and then add ridiculous attachments based on an impulse.
When you are doing a paint job, you know what you want to design first, how it should look, what features it will have and then be able to make it completely match your design. When you use PMG, you do it back to front, make the picture then make the design. I wouldn't call paint jobs 'hack-jobs' either, I have seen some very good drawings come from MSPaint and Paint.net. Where do you think the components from PMG actually come from?

Yes I can. It really isn't too much to ask for people to explain what they have designed, and not bothering to learn how a gun works when you plan to design one is the height of laziness and ignorance. Why on earth would anyone, whether it be in RL or NS, buy from somebody who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Hopefully, this guide will turn the slap-happy and ignorant attitude of many PMG users around and provoke them into thinking their designs through.
Last edited by Vitaphone Racing on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Chernarussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernarussia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:25 am

Here, I will throw in my two cents. I use PMG to create minor alterations to real assault rifles, not to assemble a fantasy weapon. They stay in the limits of a REAL weapon. The farthest I have gone is a 'Bullpup' Kalashnikov series of rifles. PMG can prove itself a handy tool, IF used right. I honestly condemn anyone that uses the program to create some kind of mythical line of firearms. Perhaps its intent WAS to create firearms with a potential. Such as my storefront, my weapons are just slight alterations to create a decent looking, yet quick to build rifle(s). So I don't demise the program, i just think that its original intent was bended.

N1SM0
Attaché

Founded: Dec 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby N1SM0 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:33 am

I want to know what happened to doing a good, old fashioned write up. In both the guides at the top, it explaines the necessity of going into detail about what you are selling, yet people still feel all they need is two sentences a stat block.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade