NATION

PASSWORD

Gritty Sci-Fi Storefront (Interest, Bad Idea?)

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Thoughts?

Cringe
20%
Too Much Work
20%
I'm Interested
40%
Partnership?
20%

Total votes : 15

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Gritty Sci-Fi Storefront (Interest, Bad Idea?)

Postby Doppio Giudici » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:46 pm

Why I Am Unsure

I've been on this site since 2011 and I was around for a lot of things when it comes to gameplay, but what I really remember was how profitable arms storefronts were. Some user on here, I forgot who, made this huge chart about which parts of the GE&T were making the most money, what industry made what percent, which firms cornered each market, etc etc. Those first five or so years I was on this site, it was so easy for firms to make money in arms dealing, there was a lot of interest, there was a lot of big and small people doing well, etc etc.

The issue I've been seeing since then is that I've ran three or four storefronts, and each one has a better layout, better products, better writeups, etc etc. Despite this, sales have gone from insane, to amazing, to barely at all, year on year.

Sometimes I log, look at GE&T, and it seems like the same thing is happening to everyone else. Way less sellers, way way less buyers.

This is despite the fact that every two or so years, NS goes virus somehow on some other part of the internet, and the fact that player numbers have been growing at a very healthy rate.

Despite this, GE&T seems to operate like the NS RP settings are all having recessions or depressions, which is really weird.

Why This Is Interest Thread

I've been really interested in "gritty", "near-realism", or "used future" settings like Fallout, Firefly, Battlestar Galactic, etc etc for some time now. I've been doing writeups for Rifts since that's a setting that has lots of modern firearms firing special ammo, and so on.

What I am wanting to do is have a storefront for post-apoc and future tech settings. I'm thinking they will just sell products to planets that fell downward on the tech tree a lot, or "up and comers" who want progress further but don't want to use lasers or rail-guns.

I'm just really unsure if the work with writeups, maybe art, and getting okay formatting is going to be worth it.

People don't hang out on GE&T as much anymore, FT people want super advanced stuff or they design their own weapons (Even if they are cringe), or just copy-paste designs from Star-Wars or Halo.

Would this be compatible with a 40K like setting?

That's a used future setting that mostly uses modern firearms technology, so yes.

What Do you Think?

Bad idea? Cringe? Too much work? Could be fun for RP? Something you were looking for? Vote in the poll or post below.
I use this old account for FT, Pentaga Giudici and Vadia are for MT.

"Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening"

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:23 pm

I mean these products would certainly sell well in Allanea, so I approve.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:07 am

Allanea wrote:I mean these products would certainly sell well in Allanea, so I approve.

Just because I am pleased that "Senpai" noticed me, I'll do it. Here are some stuff I've been considering using.

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:24 am

If I may be so bold.

This site has lots of pictures of futuristic and semi-futuristic weapons that the guy who runs it seems to have acquired from all over the Internet. They're intended here to be used for the Cyberpunk 2020 game (which was meant as 'near future', of course the game was made in the 1980s) but one can write entirely different backgrounds and stats for them.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Allanea wrote:If I may be so bold.

This site has lots of pictures of futuristic and semi-futuristic weapons that the guy who runs it seems to have acquired from all over the Internet. They're intended here to be used for the Cyberpunk 2020 game (which was meant as 'near future', of course the game was made in the 1980s) but one can write entirely different backgrounds and stats for them.

I like to do obscure real world or video game designs, based on solid designs, but I see some stuff I know on there.

I have a version of the FAMAS that is based on the Felin and firing a PDW cartridge, but I'm still figuring out the quad-stack grenade launcher like in Chaser

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:03 pm

I am always partial to Atomic Rockets... I rather like the energy weapons section.
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... energy.php

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:19 am

Well, I'm taking it easy so it's not too much work like some think. I'm planning about having an explanation for it for each type of setting, with it being downplayed in each of them as just some traders with great firearms.

If you want to suggest something, have an in setting partnership, or compete with these traders; you can post here.

Allanea, is there any calibers or weapon nitches you wish were filled? Specific stuff from that link of yours? I have a lot of designs I haven't ported over that all fit into a few settings really well, but I'm releasing them piecemeal.
Last edited by Doppio Giudici on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

The united American-Isreali empire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The united American-Isreali empire » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:04 pm

tbh id buy stuff from here.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade