NATION

PASSWORD

Better Business Bureau [Feedback & Advice]

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Danlina

Postby Yohannes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:31 am

Danlina wrote:I have a really important question:

Hello

Danlina wrote:Is there any actual payment in here? or is it purely roleplay?

Yes. For instance, [ click me ]. All money is roleplayed/fictional. Some storefronts (such as Wolf Armaments) will also require you to count your order (and other things like NationStates calculators). If in doubt, telegram the opening poster (the owner of the storefront) asking them questions about their storefront (and its fictional payment system) Image

Danlina wrote:And I would like critique on my storefront: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=459178

I will leave this for other Global Economics and Trade players to have their say

Edit: Slight correction - Wolf Armaments don't require you to count your order, but some storefronts would (Don't worry about this; you can see whether they'll ask for you to count your own order or not)
Last edited by Yohannes on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Danlina
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Danlina » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:40 am

Yohannes wrote:Yes. For instance, [ click me ]. All money is roleplayed/fictional. Some storefronts (such as Wolf Armaments) will also require you to count your order (and other things like NationStates calculators). If in doubt, telegram the opening poster (the owner of the storefront) asking them questions about their storefront (and its fictional payment system) (Image)

I didn't really understand what it means... Is there any kind of actual fund mechanic, or is it something that is user-run? I'm asking this because I thought the payment part is also imaginary and roleplay just like the products, and when I ordered something the storefront's owner asked me to confirm payment and I had no idea what he meant...
Republic of Danlina

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Better Business Bureau [Feedback & Advice]

Postby Yohannes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:48 am

Danlina wrote:I didn't really understand what it means...

You're not alone - I was confused too back in 2010 : )

Danlina wrote:Is there any kind of actual fund mechanic, or is it something that is user-run?

There is no mechanic. It is user-run. Sometimes, you will have a storefront owner who wants you to follow your NationStates account's population (and game-generated GDP/gross domestic product). However, mostly people will allow you to make up numbers (so long as it's not too much). So yes, it is "user-run." There is no fund mechanic or game-generated rules to follow

Again, if in doubt, send a telegram to the opening poster (owner of the storefront) : )

Danlina wrote:I'm asking this because I thought the payment part is also imaginary and roleplay just like the products

Yes, it is imaginary, and it is also fictional (or as you've said, roleplay)

Danlina wrote:and when I ordered something the storefront's owner asked me to confirm payment

Sometimes they will ask you to confirm payment. Just say something like "payment confirmed", and that's pretty much it

Danlina wrote:and I had no idea what he meant...

Don't worry, some people like to make things overly complicated : p

Edit: If the storefront owner still make things too confusing for u, tell them to come to me (tell them to telegram me), and I'll see what I can do
Last edited by Yohannes on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 am

Yohannes wrote:Don't worry, some people like to make things overly complicated : p

Edit: If the storefront owner still make things too confusing for u, tell them to come to me (tell them to telegram me), and I'll see what I can do

OR, better yet Danlina, talk to GE&T mentors like Lamoni, Maltropia, Aquitayne or myself and we'll see what the communication issue is and handle it appropriately. That's what we're here for. You can TG us anytime and we'll respond when we're able within a reasonable time.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Danlina
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Danlina » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks for the help. I sent them a message that I confirm payment and asking if there are any other procedures needed.
Republic of Danlina

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:07 am

Neu Engollon wrote:OR, better yet Danlina, talk to GE&T mentors like Lamoni, Maltropia, Aquitayne or myself

Hmm... I never knew only Mentors have the right to do things like that now. Last time I checked, Jenrak never said the Mentor programme would turn out that way.

Also, Kyrusia said so himself here:

Kyrusia wrote:In short, the community has not suddenly changed simply because, by coincidence, the original poster of this thread has been made a Mentor. If someone tells you, "Kyrusia says [x], and he's a Mentor, so he's right," objectively, about some bit of technology or some way of doing things, I would very righftly question such a statement - and even come and ask me, directly. Truly, I welcome it. A Mentor's duty is to mentor; not set canon, not set continuity, not say "[y] is objectively the only correct way of doing things." Yes, Mentors will disagree with other players on certain play styles; yes, I may - at times - disagree with another player I am trying to help. This does not, however, change the fact that the NationStates Staff and other Mentors have seen fit to give me a role which requires me to help other players adjust to the community, integrate, and overall come to gain a better understanding of roleplaying in general.

Also, I chuckled at you trying to throw your weight around here, Neu Engollon

Fix your writing quality (and your storefront quality) first, before trying to boast around as the best around here.

I also remember you trying to tell off Crookfur in the past (acting like you own this place).

---

Edit:

Neu Engollon wrote:Another way to phrase my same approach of 'less pictures, more words', only a little less diplomatic about the featured graphic. To each their own.

---

I was thinking of telling you off (Crookfur didn't do anything there to offend you), but decided not to because I wanted to see how you will turn out

Just so you know: Crookfur has been designing things a lot longer than you have been. He also knows about a lot more things than u are. And I'm not embarrassed to say that I'm a much better writer than you are (comparing my in-character posting history with yours will show it all for others to see)

I'd suggest for you not to try to bully people who are actually better in-character writers or out-of-character NationStates designers/military tech people than u are, especially when we have not done anything to offend you (i.e. you coming here attacking us for no reason, lol)
Last edited by Yohannes on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 am

Danlina wrote:Thanks for the help. I sent them a message that I confirm payment and asking if there are any other procedures needed.

No worries. Glad to help. And sorry for Neu Engollon. He was just having a bad day, I think

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:24 am

Yohannes wrote:
Danlina wrote:Thanks for the help. I sent them a message that I confirm payment and asking if there are any other procedures needed.

No worries. Glad to help. And sorry for Neu Engollon. He was just having a bad day, I think

Nope. :D

We'll await your TGs, Danlina. Thanks for constructively working on your RP and helping to improve the GE&T subforum.
My Factbook
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:32 am

Neu Engollon wrote:
Yohannes wrote:

Nope. :D

We'll await your TGs, Danlina. Thanks for constructively working on your RP and helping to improve the GE&T subforum.

Neu Engollon, you don't need to wait [ Edit: check out the quote down below; I want other players (like you) to provide input; that was the reason I didn't answer Danlina's last question ]

You can help them now (if you're not busy in real life) : p

Yohannes wrote:
Danlina wrote:And I would like critique on my storefront: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=459178

I will leave this for other Global Economics and Trade players to have their say

To add Danlina, Neu Engollon is one of the National and International Roleplaying forums' helpful NS&I Roleplay Mentors. They are here to greet new players and help you (if you come to them and ask for assistance/advice/just for friendly talk)
Last edited by Yohannes on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valkea
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Valkea » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Danlina wrote:I have a really important question: Is there any actual payment in here? or is it purely roleplay?

And I would like critique on my storefront: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=459178

If you're referring to actual monetary transactions, then no. Everything on GE&T is basically roleplaying, from the storefronts to the number of cash in hand. If you're not sure how to start off here, then you can contact the Mentor team assigned here (Aquitayne, Lamoni, Maltropia, and Neu Engollon).

As for your storefront, it's very good since I assume that it's your first time. What I would suggest is to add more information regarding your individual products, as it informs your potential customers as well as provides your storefront with a more content-rich appearance.
V A L K E A NT A S A V A L T AI K U I E S E S T IV A L K E A !

AstyF1: 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023
Look at me, I'm the main nation now.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Better Business Bureau

Postby Yohannes » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:57 pm

In future, this might help some players (especially new players) who don't know anything (or don't know a lot) about how to write industry-related stories/news materials posts: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=460024

I know a lot of new players (in the past) who want to make a bank storefront, for instance. But they know nothing at all about what to write (whether news posts or storytelling) to reply to people/applicants' posts in relation to the finance industry or banking sector. So hopefully this Autogenerated Writing thing will help you guys avoid copy-pasting identical letters all the time (or worse, plagiarising real life companies' website)!

Edit: Strike the new players bit - it's not fair and impolite (to new players), because I know a lot of older players who still do it too!
Last edited by Yohannes on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 am

Just opened my first storefront, Loro Language Schools! I've got some (ok, a lot of) experience with formatting through NS Sports, which is where 90+% of my posts so far have been. I hope you have advice to make it better/clearer, or if you can find something I didn't account for (primarily in the signup section).
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Better Business Bureau

Postby Yohannes » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:16 am

Ko-oren wrote:
Just opened my first storefront, Loro Language Schools! I've got some (ok, a lot of) experience with formatting through NS Sports, which is where 90+% of my posts so far have been. I hope you have advice to make it better/clearer, or if you can find something I didn't account for (primarily in the signup section).

I like it. It's informative. Good luck with ur storefront : )

Edit: I've posted an application for four fictional students from one of my capital city's college/high school. Others here will probably see things that I've missed
Last edited by Yohannes on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willitya
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Willitya » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:46 pm

A 16 civilization, according to this index.
7 News Willitya Headlines: 8 killed in collision between a harbour ferry, The Madison and a small sailing boat, Bounty. An investigation is underway to find the cause. 14/11/2019

5 Peace
4 Threat Of War
3 Small-Scale War
2 Next Step To Global War
1 Global War
I'm a proud member of the Dark Light Family

British Hifax
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby British Hifax » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:39 am

Hey!

I always see storefronts as websites of my companies so when I create them, I try to be as detailed as possible so it can end having that website vibe. I would suggest you to have a look at multiple airport pages to find the one that suits your image of JTX, after that, I would create a logo, write some more introduction to the gates, the stores and the hotels and finally, I would add some images.

About the images, my personal opinion is that the professional ones are better but be careful with renders! , when putting them on the storefront try to adjust the size with Photoshop or any other program where you can do it, no one likes a super small image about the entrance or a mega large image about the customs.
Last edited by British Hifax on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
P R I N C I P A D O....D E....H I F A X
Embassy Program | Royal Air | Principal Bank of Princetown | MoAA | Techint
M o n t e v i d e o , U r u g u a y

Third Asopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Asopia » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:04 am

I always procrastinate and don't start on a storefront.
Anyways, any advice on an airport storefront? I want something that captures the reader without being too sophisticated. I want to design in such a way that it is well-organised so the reader will not have to look for what food they serve and find out it's stuck smack dab in the middle. Since my airport is going to be a small one but expanding, I would like to have a storefront fit for such an airport. You may give me examples also! Thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by Third Asopia on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Presenting my signature signature!
Procrastination... is the art of knowing you have a job to do but know there's like a year till it's due. It's elemental for the Asopin soul to survive in such a slow-paced world.
Bored of having to see Juventus winning the Schudetto too many times? Can wait to see that match where Ronaldo didn’t shoot at all? Tired of seeing Napoli fight for first place when there’s no point? Oh boy, you’ve found a new friend.

I got Theo Theodoridis as my flag model. Showing my love for Greece!

Willitya
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Willitya » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:58 pm

A 16 civilization, according to this index.
7 News Willitya Headlines: 8 killed in collision between a harbour ferry, The Madison and a small sailing boat, Bounty. An investigation is underway to find the cause. 14/11/2019

5 Peace
4 Threat Of War
3 Small-Scale War
2 Next Step To Global War
1 Global War
I'm a proud member of the Dark Light Family

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Well the most obvious advice is to change it to PMT because even by the loosest definition of NS MT your products ain't remotely MT. Try something like 2030-2050 for first flight dates.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

British Hifax
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby British Hifax » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Third Asopia wrote:I always procrastinate and don't start on a storefront.
Anyways, any advice on an airport storefront? I want something that captures the reader without being too sophisticated. I want to design in such a way that it is well-organised so the reader will not have to look for what food they serve and find out it's stuck smack dab in the middle. Since my airport is going to be a small one but expanding, I would like to have a storefront fit for such an airport. You may give me examples also! Thanks in advance! :)

Hello!

Reading your specifications I would advise you first to give a look at the pages I'll leave below, those are good examples of airport websites that seem well organized and aesthetically to take some inspiration from, some of them may be from big airports but I don't think the ''quality'' or ''sophistication'' of the storefront should vary with the size of the airport, that's given with the climate you create through the images and logo.

When trying that organisation on the forum I would tell you to think of each ''page'' and its contents first (e.g.: About us > Brief history / Introduction to the city and country / Brief description of the amenities, you could expand that in another page) and then write each ''page'' in a different thread reply so they look separated and you could then add a contents bar at the beginning.

If you need any help making some of the visual content don't hesitate in asking for some help.

P R I N C I P A D O....D E....H I F A X
Embassy Program | Royal Air | Principal Bank of Princetown | MoAA | Techint
M o n t e v i d e o , U r u g u a y

Merni
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:36 am

Hi! Not really a specific to GE&T, but is there any way by which I can preview how my BBCode formatting will look without actually pasting it into the NS forum? Right now I am drafting a storefront using Notepad but I want to see how the formatting looks across multiple posts.
2024: the year of democracy. Vote!
The Labyrinth | Donate your free time, help make free ebooks | Admins: Please let us block WACC TGs!
RIP Residency 3.5.16-18.11.21, killed by simplistic calculation
Political Compass: Economic -9.5 (Left) / Social -3.85 (Liberal)
Wrote issue 1523, GA resolutions 532 and 659
meth
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.' — Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. — Ardchoille
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion [...] but rather by its superiority in applying organised violence. — Samuel P. Huntington (even he said that!)

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:14 am

The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Merni
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Crookfur wrote:https://www.bbcode.org/playground.php

Thanks!
2024: the year of democracy. Vote!
The Labyrinth | Donate your free time, help make free ebooks | Admins: Please let us block WACC TGs!
RIP Residency 3.5.16-18.11.21, killed by simplistic calculation
Political Compass: Economic -9.5 (Left) / Social -3.85 (Liberal)
Wrote issue 1523, GA resolutions 532 and 659
meth
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.' — Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. — Ardchoille
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion [...] but rather by its superiority in applying organised violence. — Samuel P. Huntington (even he said that!)

Pratapgadh
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Pratapgadh » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:10 am

viewtopic.php?p=35499706#p35499706

I would like some feedback so I can improve it :)
Cricket Rankings
  • Test Cricket: 11th (out of 12)
  • ODI: 25th (out of 48)
  • T20I: 12th (out of 39)
Cricket Stats

Updated on 28 February, 2021 (15:51 NZT)
Sarvatra Vijay (Victory Everywhere)
Pratapgadh Domestic Sportswire

Lisander
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lisander » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:29 pm

The Principality of Lisander, a sports loving, very highly developed nation in Astyria.
Disappointing people and missing deadlines since 2013.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:51 am

I know that Santh answered this in the Discord, and what he said still goes - expand on describing the companies on the exchange. Describe what they do, who runs them, a little background on each.

I would add that you might want to look at putting together some formatting and tables to display all the company IPO stats. There's ways to go about this, but if you could create some imaging that makes it look like a real LED display, that might be pretty cool. There's also plenty you can do with BB Code tables.

Another thing is you have stated on the storefront that this is closed to your region only and I can respect that. Maybe, though, there would be a way to open another branch or division that handles extra-regional stocks from other parts of the multiverse, thereby increasing activity by inviting in more participating players. To be clear, this would be separate from the local regional exchange board. It's a bit more work in compiling and formatting, so I could understand why you might not want to go that route. Just throwing that out there if you wanted to bring more attention to the project.
My Factbook

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade