NATION

PASSWORD

Reichsburg Free Trade Agreement

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Garenton
Civilian

Founded: Dec 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Garenton » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:30 am

I'll sign the agreement.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:03 pm

To: The Designated Leaders of Libraria and Ausitoria
From: Dietfried Plemarche, Minister of Finance & Commerce, Representing the Federal Council of The Confederacy of Neu Engollon

The Librarian and Ausitorian Leaders,

I speak with the weight of the Federal Council, and act as the vocal piece of that ruling body of the Confederacy of Neu Engollon in the following statements made upon the needless and overreaching controversy brought forth by the Confederated Commonwealth of Libraria and Ausitoria in reaction to the benevolent accords of the Reichsburg Free Trade Agreement.

As you are correct in your assumptions that through both Federal agencies and local based, adequately taxed corporations that drive the GDP of the Confederacy, we have quite a stake in the fluctuations and trends of the general market throughout the multiverse, we are forced to weigh in on such matters though we may vigorously shake our heads and stifle both giggles and yawns, alternately.

The legitimacy of claims made by your government is questionable, to make a gross understatement. To decide that one must hijack such a trade agreement and force it's own overlay of guidelines and demands upon a document which is already most sufficient to address the flow of free trade is ludicrous. Further, to back your claims with a domestic court of your own concoction that is not recognized in most, if any other, international jurisdiction, adds insult to injury to the Free Kingdom which has striven to provide a blueprint for a new dawn of economic prosperity to the multiverse.

What is most troubling is the implied hostility of threat which is the very motto of your 'kangaroo court'. To quote:

'Taking from the bad, and giving to the good: The Modern Robin Hood' and 'Avoiding wars by seizing international aid assets since 2015'

This implies that your government sees as its mandate that, due to its highly subjective and selfish notions, it can lash out and seize by force assets of other peaceful, international law abiding nations at whim, simply because their aims and ideology do no match with your own. A very aggressive and peace disrupting action, if only by lame threat with no real teeth to back such actions. Were this to happen directly to the Confederacy, we must warn you, not only would we react to the fullest of our modest capability as an admittedly smaller, neutral democracy, but we would call upon friendly nations, of which we count many, to aid us in righting such egregious wrongs.

Perhaps that is reaching too far ahead as you have not directly forced such action onto the Confederacy. After all, though, you have now called to task a friend of the Confederacy's, the Free Kingdom of Allanea, who's only crime is reaching out to the world with open arms and providing a blueprint of prosperity by which we can all stand to gain. Your demands are ridiculous that you both be allowed to enjoy the benefits and connections of the Agreement, yet also be allowed to slam the hammer down and restrict exports of nations within that same fold of the Agreement, in very violation of said Agreement.

The last point, which hopefully should defuse and deflate your bombastic, egotistical ramblings, is that it is very simple to avoid bringing things to a further contentious head by ignoring and electing not to participate in that which you find displeases you.
In other words, if you don't want to play - simply do not. You have missed the whole point when you call the nations signed to the Reichsburg Free Trade Agreement out for adhering to an agreement that you in turn have no intention of honoring but insist on signing. Your begging for inclusion, but insisting on exception is not rational in this instance. Rational governments realize that if they do not agree to the points put forth, they do not have to sign to the agreement, as there is no figurative gun to their heads to do so. Those that do not act with such rationality are the ones who demand a rule change that would in effect negate the whole spirit of the accords simply to satisfy their own selfish ends.

You, kind sirs and ladies, are that irrational government that has demanded to be able to do exactly the opposite of what the spirit of the Agreement calls for, which is to not levy obstruction to the free flow of commerce between nations. What children hold such executive power over a nation of self proclaimed sentient beings? It boggles our minds to think there are lands ruled with such careless abandon, but we are at least assured of little consequences towards the greater multiverse as we can all come together to navigate with reason around said foolishness.

On behalf of the Federal Assembly, Federal Council and the Great Citizens of the Confederacy of Neu Engollon, I have spoken on this day.

Sincerely,

Dietfried Plemarche,
Ministry of Finance & Commerce, Neu Engollon
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Summersong
Civilian

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Summersong » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:27 pm

I would like to sign.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Summersong wrote:I would like to sign.

Would it be possible for you to post an IC application ?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Peoples Federation Of Gondol
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Peoples Federation Of Gondol » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:30 am

Free Trade Agrement accepted by the state duma,city council and Department of Trade and International Development.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:00 am

Peoples Federation Of Gondol wrote:Free Trade Agrement accepted by the state duma,city council and Department of Trade and International Development.

We thank you for joining the Free Trade Agreement.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:04 am

[OOC: Although I am making an instant reply here, I don't expect the issue to be rapidly resolved - for a start the Court will want the opinion of Yohannes, which probably means March! IC:]

Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere

By Order of Their Imperial Majesty's Government

From: The Freedom of Information Office, The Whittan Office, The Aestorian Commonwealth
To: Dietfried Plemarche, Minister of Finance & Commerce, of the Federal Council of The Confederacy of Neu Engollon
Encryption: Publicly Announced

Your Excellency,

Thank you very much for your message. We cannot presently determine whether it is intended for the aligned governments, the Aestorian Commonwealth of Libraria and Ausitoria, and/or the International Arbitration Court. Please note the International Arbitration Court does not fall within the Aestorian Commonwealth. As such we have bifurcated the message as follows:

1. Judicial matters (to the International Arbitration Court).
2. Executive matters (to the Commonwealth).

If you would prefer any other manner of communication, please advise.

We have the honour to remain,

The International Directorate
The Watch Office
Freedom of Information Office
The Ministry of Intelligence and Statistics

On behalf of the Outer Commonwealth, &c.

To: Dietfried Plemarche, Minister of Finance & Commerce, of the Federal Council of The Confederacy of Neu Engollon
CC: Lawyers in the Confederacy of Neu Engollon, Lawyers in the Free Kingdom of Allanea, General Investors

Your Excellency,

Thank you for your message. As I hope you will understand, I cannot speak for the International Arbitration Court, which is a separate power, but I would ask and advise you to respect their independence, rather than engaging in what is potentially at best misinformed slander. The issues at hand are exceptionally thorny questions of literary interpretation (as is almost inevitable when trade agreements are written with such lack of detail) and are by no means settled. That is why we, alongside the Decis regional government, requested the court's judgement on how to interpret the treaty in the aftermath of Allanea's reply to our protocol of interpretation.

If you do wish to have input into proceedings, which I am sure would be most welcomed from any parties, I would advise you to properly consider legal arguments of relevance to addressing the actual questions of law in a manner such as a lawyer might understand, as opposed to engaging in arguments of unclear legal significance or substance, if any. Inasmuch as we can determine, the crux of the dispute is that the words "punitive" in clause 1 (“No Signatory Nation shall level punitive tariffs or taxes against products imported by another Signatory Nation") is of unclear meaning. In short, is it "punitive" to restrict imports from subsidized industries? What are "punitive tariffs" in the context of this treaty and in the context of international law? I do not know. We do not know. The court has not yet decided. Allanea has failed and refused to issue any clear guidance. If you focused on that question, rather than seemingly missing the point, or if you could persuade the Allanean Executive or Judicial powers to issue a clear opinion/guidance on the subject, that would be useful.

Additionally I would like to say that as far as I can determine, the Court's request for input is quite reasonable. They wish to know what counts as "punitive tariffs". Our governments wish to know what counts as "punitive tariffs". And we all want to know why. These are not unreasonable questions in light of the provisions of WAR #207, the main international trading standard, which allows for nations to levy additional tariffs on foreign subsidized industries. Therefore if you wish to maintain a reputation as a multilateral mediator you could drop your unprovoked belligerent attitude and help to engage in clarifying an important question of interpretation in international trade, rather than unilaterally isolating yourself from international discussion.

Finally I would also like to assure you that the Court itself has no authority to seize assets of its own initiative, only to seize our aid to which nations are otherwise entitled to (see the Liberal Development Bank). That is what is meant by aid assets. Only if this are insufficient assets available from that source to cover damages will our government consider other asset seizure measures.

I would also like to take the opportunity to publicly reassure all private persons and corporate personalities about their own assets. Private individuals cannot and should not need to be held responsible for the acts of their governments.

I hope that makes things clearer - if you have any questions, I would be very happy to advise.

Separately, I would also like to thank you for clarifying your government's current intent.

I have the honour to remain,

RHT= P v7-3

His Serene Maharaja=Anax=Inquisitor, Pope=President=Princips=Palatine=Patriarch Richard VII "Hajim-Rik" Terforton=Pirnzak,
Whittan Secretary and Foreign Secretary, the Aestorian Commonwealth; (Acting) Delegate & Prime Minister of the Panessos Senate
&c, &c.

acting for

The Outer Commonwealth, &c.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:44 am

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is forced – despite its intentions – to engage once more in discussion of this Aestorian affair. Let us make it clear: we do not intend to ‘clarify’ our position, or provide any documents for the benefit of an Aestorian court. This is for a range of reasons.

The first is that we do not believe that any Aestorian arbitrage court has any authority to rule over any decision of the Free Kingdom government. The presumption that a foreign court, to whose authority we have never submitted, can make any manner of ‘judgement’ regarding our actions is one we would not accept even if it were uttered by Arnstorana Telissat Amris himself, in his full splendor, at the command of his valiant armies. The only way a foreign court can apply its judgments to a nation is if it has signed a treaty accepting its authority (which we did not), or if their actions were compelled by hostile activities, such as embargo or blockade (which the Aestorians, being weaklings, cannot compel).

Second, because we do not believe that the Aestorians are willing, or even capable, of conducting their international affairs in good faith. They veil their foreign policy in pseudo-legalese yammering of little relevance, to conceal the fact that they intend to manipulate whatever institutions they are members of, and not engage in good faith in any transaction with anybody. In every international gathering they were members of, the Aestorians have introduced strife, double-handed dealing, double and triple standards, and when these failed, naked violence of the terrorist kind.

Third, because our broad view had already been explained here in the treaty, and in every document attached to it. We have drafted the treaty to mean that, in terms of states that are RFTA members, punitive tariffs are excluded absolutely. We understand that it is possible to create other attempts to ‘cheat’ by creating a perceived ‘advantage’ for one’s domestic trade, however we did not feel the need to address every single one of them in the treaty, and further, we believe that attempting to address them opens the door to exactly the sort of nonsense into which the Aestorians now attempt to lure us now. The RFTA has been drafted, yes, to prohibit any form of tariff that taxes the products and services of another RFTA member differently from the domestic products of member state.

We are not interested in engaging with the Aestorians in a debate on the economics, propriety, or wisdom of this policy. We are not interested in these attempts to ‘isolate’ us from the world community, or to ‘sue’ us, or whatever it is the Aestorians imagine themselves doing. We are not interested in fanciful interpretations of “World Assembly Law”, or whatever it is that the Aestorians feel grants them the legitimacy in their bastardization of economics, legal procedures, diplomacy, and common sense.

If the Aestorians believe their bizarre tactics will lead the Free Kingdom to retroactively alter a treaty after it has been signed by 82 members, they are sorely mistaken. We suppose the next step will be mailing badly photocopied legal briefs directly to Minas-Faerie or Leyfield?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:52 am

To: The Free Kingdom Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Allanea

Your Excellencies,

Thank you very much for your opinion on the points of law. I expect the court will find it a useful clarification.

But why are you so intent upon trying to damage our reputations? Your second point seems to be nothing but slander. You just don’t seem to get it: this court means that if you damage us, then you, and to an extent your allies, won’t get our aid, which means that it will be Allanea that will lose out every time they try to damage us, because the courts will take the money you would have got in aid and give it to us in damages instead. We've done it to SACTO and we've done it to the IFC. So stop shooting yourself in the foot by shooting your own mouth off. Only you loose out.

To sum, it is completely pointless being pointlessly rude to the Ausitorians. It means you don’t get money from them. I should have hoped a capitalist society would have learnt to act in its own self-interest, and to be prepared to work with its natural allies instead of against them.

I have the honour to remain,

RHT= P v7-3

His Serene Maharaja=Anax=Inquisitor, Pope=President=Princips=Palatine=Patriarch Richard VII "Hajim-Rik" Terforton=Pirnzak,
Whittan Secretary and Foreign Secretary, the Aestorian Commonwealth; (Acting) Delegate & Prime Minister of the Panessos Senate
&c, &c.

acting for

The Outer Commonwealth, &c.

P.s. Allanean citizens, you might want to petition your government to act with a modicum of sense before they manage to do you out of c. $400 aid per citizen.

P.p.s. Also, for heaven’s sakes stop conflating us Aestorians with the court. Only bored lawyers who want to start an argument about the nature of sovereignty in the confederacy and commonwealth have any reason to do that, and we have quite enough of them around here in Alexandria.

In reply to the Allanean Communication to the Confederated Commonwealth

The International Arbitration Court
Panessos City & Unity City
Panessos & Decis

We would like to thank the Allanean Foreign Ministry for their clarification of their interpretation of the points of law. If we strip away the immediately irrelevant points, they have argued:

(a) The issue falls outside our jurisdiction,
(b) That the simplicity of the treaty makes no allowance for the existence of non-punitive tariffs, and
(c) That the teleogical wish expressed in their clarifications is more binding upon signatories than the literal wording of the agreement.

These and other arguments will be considered as part of the proceedings. We expect to issue a preliminary ruling around the end of Q1 of the 2017 FY.

We have also received a submission from the Confederacy and Commonwealth to ask us to assess damages due to discriminatory, malicious, prejudiced and/or libellous slander by the Allanean and Neu Engollon Governments arising as a result of this case; minus whatever damages the Aestorian Government is perpetrating by being rude back. We have accepted this request. This assessment will naturally be considered separately. Since the damages may be fairly high, perhaps c. 0.1-0.5% of GDP, and normal asset seizures may be insufficient, we have, in the interim, also frozen the use of Ausitorian aid to support operations by the Allanean-led Armistad declaration. It should be noted that in the event that it is necessary to seize such assets, the court will provide redress for anti-slavery efforts led by less slanderous nations so that global anti-slavery operations are not negatively affected. We have also frozen $200 billion of Ausitorian assets, in case it turns out that they are being ruder.

While these cases are ongoing, we remain open to submissions, statements, and requests from signatories to the Reichsburg (Allanean) Free Trade Agreement, and to governments over the relevant jurisdictions.

We have the honour to remain, &c.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

The Ctan
Minister

Postby The Ctan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:11 am

Transmission Source: Bao ita Dyvanakh, Grouping Policy Manager Mystria, Security Agency of the Great Civilization.
Destination: RFTA Signatories
CC: The Aestorian Commonwealth Government
Subject: Sir Thomas Wooley
Security: Nil

To those signatories of the Reichsburg Free Trade Agreement currently receiving bulletins and missives from The Aestorian Commonwealth, I would like to share a story that speaks to the current situation and will, I think, inform those who have not previously dealt with the commonwealth of the exact nature of their diplomatic intentions.

Many years past now, we were, with the Commonwealth, part of an organization called the International Union of Equality and Freedom, a fine institution and one that is sadly no longer active. During a meeting of this organization, the matter was discovered of the Commonwealth, then called Libraria and Ausitoria, spying on the host nation, the Beastling States of Crystal Spires. Specifically in this matter the Commonwealth violated the territorial waters of the Beastling States with multiple nuclear-armed ballistic missile submarines.

As a result, the ambassador, then-Sir Thomas Wooley, of the Commonwealth was declared Persona Non-Grata by the host nation and directed to expediently leave. This he refused to do, declaring, contrary to the actual wording of the treaty involved, that he enjoyed a status of diplomatic immunity conferred by the Union, rather than the host nation, and refusing to leave his seat, despite no other nation present having agreed to such terms, and a complete lack of them in the treaty defining the Union.

Furthermore, when ushers arrived to remove him, Sir Wooley decided to take the only course of action the strange matter of Aestorian ethics allowed him. He spontaneously decided to ‘arrest’ the chairman of the union, Maven Auryn, then-Chancellor of the Beastling States. And this arrest consisted of firing a dart from a concealed weapon at the Chancellor.

Our ambassador at the time, Praetia Astraeus was able to discern this threat and interpose herself; quite fortunately as it turned out, Chancellor Auryn having several well-known medical conditions that would have rendered him likely susceptible to overdose or injury.

Ambassador Wooley also stated his intention at this time to kidnap the Chancellor of the Beastling States before he was quickly subdued by the guards.

This event has lived in infamy, and given the Aestorian Commonwealth the popular appellation it bears to this day; Assassinland.

As the Beastling States was at that time militarily weakened and concerned by the possibility of further coercion from Ausitoria and Chattakang, they elected not to press charges against Ambassador Wooley for his attempt to kidnap their leader.

With no treaty explicitly creating diplomatic immunity having been created or signed, and the Ausitorian government standing by its claim that the Chancellor of the Beastling States did not benefit from personal immunity as a head of state, it was deemed by the Great Civilization that no reasonable expectation or conduct befitting traditional diplomatic immunity (you cannot attempt to abduct a head of state, ignoring head of state immunity, and then claim it for your own person) was in force in the instance of Mr Wooley, and he was placed on trial in the Criminal Court of Henetmiropolis for Causing Bodily Harm by Dangerous Means (then Sec 224 of the C’tani General Criminal Code) specifically under the aggravating condition of using drugs in commission of a crime, and of acting by stealth in assault.

Sir Wooley refused to enter a plea; and despite repeated efforts, the nation of Ausitoria and Chattakang would not provide for his legal defence, as such, a court defender was appointed to him, and a plea of not-guilty entered pro-forma.

Naturally, with his entire crime having been recorded in front of hundreds of witnesses, this was an open and shut case.

Sir Wooley was sentenced to punishment of imprisonment for ten years, the maximum allowable under the law. He served this sentence in the Bayan Prison and was released after six years on conditional early release, and immediately expelled back to his homeland, where I believe they made him a Lord.

I highlight this history chiefly to examine the degree to which the Aestorian Commonwealth in fact respects other nations; and the fact that its undeclared policy of universal jurisdiction – not something we entirely disagree with in principle, we ourselves implement universal jurisdiction over matters such as genocide and slavery – is nothing new, nor is its persistent interest in harassing other governments, going so far as to have its ambassadors assault other nations’ leaders with intent to kidnap at diplomatic conferences.

The serial dishonesty of Assassinland, and its unwillingness to address the behaviour of its own diplomats – who do not respect customary immunities – is of course, why we do not consider these people to be suitable to run any sort of criminal court.

We’re also all a little bemused here at the idea that the Ausitorians have that the Allaneans claim their aid; as far as we are aware they claim no more than we do, which is to say, none. As they are an unstable pariah state fond of parking nuclear weapons in other people’s countries, regardless of the fact that it may see them obliterated, we also have negligible, perhaps no, investments or assets in Auistoria. Smart investors do not invest in countries that like to pick fights with nations much stronger than they are using nuclear weapons.

Please feel free to direct any queries to my office.
Deng Bao ita Dyvanakh

OOC:
The Abduction Attempt and the trial thread. While I’m aware that there have been several different lines from L&A over the resolution of this incident over the years, including the spontaneous teleportation of Sir Wooley out of C’tani Custody to the edge of reality, and that he spontaneously developed locked-in syndrome at a time convenient to not standing trial, the whole affair is quite important in developing Spirean-C’tani relations and this is the history I’m running with.

It also illustrates how L&A has dishonestly RPed in the past, with his strange insistence that pulling a tranquiliser gun on a foreign head of state must go exactly as he wanted it to, including such things as stopping time, teleporting things into the council chamber, and displacing the accused to the edge of the universe, and why I for one, and I suspect Allanea also, am quite unwilling to deal with any lawsuit, even if it were valid in-character.

While all this was a long time ago (enough that I'm not sure if L&A cleaves to it as his in-character history, though of course as it was an important diplomatic event, I do) L&A has done nothing to mend fences since. You can't have soft power if your previous interactions were, well, crazy.
Last edited by The Ctan on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The Necrons were amongst the first beings to come into existance, and have sworn that they will rule over the living." - Still surprisingly accurate!
"Be you anywhere from Progress Level 5 or 6 and barely space-competent, all the way up to the current record of PL-20 for beings like the C’Tan..." Lord General Superior Rai’a Sirisi, Xenohumanity
"Many races and faiths have considered themselves to be a threat to the Necrons, but their worlds and their cultures are now little more than interesting archaeology."
Want to get in touch? Direct Discord Link

Corlansa
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

State Department Transmission

Postby Corlansa » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:18 am

The United States of Corlansa is interested in signing this agreement. However we retain some concerns, we have restrictions on several things that would be considered imports: Such as ivory, certain firearms, and several other things that would be harvested from endangered, or otherwise, species illegally. Would such restrictions need to be lifted?

State Department of Corlansa
Auth: Office of the Secretary of State
Req: Office of the Presidency
Comp: [12/26/17]

United States of Corlansa

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:40 am

Corlansa wrote:The United States of Corlansa is interested in signing this agreement. However we retain some concerns, we have restrictions on several things that would be considered imports: Such as ivory, certain firearms, and several other things that would be harvested from endangered, or otherwise, species illegally. Would such restrictions need to be lifted?

The legal issue, as far as RFTA is concerned is as follows: is it legal for businesses and individuals in your nation to produce these goods? For instance, some nations' laws prohibit the ownership and sale of certain substances. Suppose nation A prohibits cocaine. RFTA doesn't prohibit that nation from also prohibiting imports of cocaine. However, if Allanea were to prohibit the imports of cocaine, (which is legal in Allanea to make, sell, and consume), this would be prohibited by RFTA, as this would clearly be a measure to protect domestic manufacturers of the substance against competition, rather than a public safety measure. (This is not to denote any given position of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs regarding drug prohibition, which the Free Kingdom opposes, but only to illustrate an example.)

The RFTA should not be viewed as a vehicle for Allanea to force its libertarian position on other countries, but only to reduce trade barriers between states, and encourage trade and progress in gradual ways.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Corlansa
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

State Department Transmission

Postby Corlansa » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am

I see, well in that case Corlansa will more than happily sign the agreement; As the possession, sale, creation, or distribution of those goods are illegal.

Corlaans
Civilian

Ex-Nation

Department of Intercommonwealth Affairs

Postby Corlaans » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Per guideline 11A, and Subsection 11c of the charter; Corlaans intends to seek admission to the free trade agreement.

Department of Intercommonwealth Affairs
Auth: Office of the Regional State Department Secretariat
Req: Office of the Presidency of Corlansa, Office of the Governor of Corlaans

The Colony of Corlaans
Commonwealth of Corlan

Alboreus
Civilian

Founded: Dec 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Alboreus » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Signed

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:05 am

[OOC: Ctan, much as I respect your right to suppose whatever historical events you like in your canon, whether they correspond with what actually happened or not, I should point out that the historical record shows:

(1) That the Ausitorians were of the opinion that the Spirians attempted to deprive an IUEF member of representation in a manner contrary to international law,
(2) That Sir Thomas was in a convenient* coma,
(3) That no proper provision was allowed for his defence,
(4) That Ausitoria’s use of the word “spying” was in the context of “espying”, i.e. observing, which is commonplace among all nations which pay any attention to international affairs while enjoying freedom of navigation (of which I understand Allanea is one),
(5) That Ausitoria maintains that one has to park submarines somewhere (and it is known to be pointless keeping them in home waters, as Allanea &c. demonstrates),
(6) That the incident was not more than ten years ago (and a lot less with relative time), and Thomas remains in the convenient* coma,
(7) That Spires deprived attempts by Ausitoria to provide Thomas Wooley with proper medical assistance,
(8) That Spires operated on a comatose patient of unfamiliar metabolism and stole part of his fingernail in a manner contrary to medical advice, and
(9) That Spires intended to extradite a potentially dangerously comatose patient who should not have been moved to a realm which was publicly ready to kill him in a manner contrary to the international conventions barring the death penalty.

(*Induced. I acknowledge I ought to have mentioned this at this time, but I wasn’t sure that you would appreciate the meaning of SIC. Sorry).

As far as my own canon goes, let the historical record speak for itself.

Anyway, you may wish to make any corrections to your canon to bring it in line with what actually happened. Of course I am not saying that your communique has to tell the truth – but for me to reply, I do need to know that it exists in the same reality, and has any bearing on anything here. Therefore please do let us know. Of course if the Ausitoria you're talking about is completely unrelated to this Ausitoria, I'd be much obliged if you'd please remove your post].

[OOC: Allanea - apologies for taking up so much space on mere OOC matters here - it's just that for me to reply, I need to check whether their communique is meant to be in the same canon, so I'll edit this post with an IC response instead if C'tan brings their canon back in line with history so we can interact.

Otherwise they are talking about an event which the Ausitoria I RP had nothing to do with, so it is completely irrelevant here - as irrelevant, in fact, as Ausitoria’s interstellar frenemyship with the ponyist nation of “Allanea” which I could invent for my canon if I ever felt bored enough].

[OOC: Quickly addressing any suggestion that I RPed dishonestly, I should state that at the time I was rather busy IRL (which should be permitted), and interacting with magical states which had used time travel (which I rather generously allowed).

Therefore I supposed it not unreasonable that I should not be required to RP in real time, and should be allowed sufficient time to post my replies; and, if not permitted such time, that I should be allowed to make use of splintering of the space-time continuum (which had also been allowed in IUEF RPs).

If I was wrong in this assessment, crucify me, but I know I wasn't being unreasonable. (As with most arguments, it's a matter of miscommunication).

More broadly I would be perfectly happy to have another go at finishing that RP at some point - it is only the past that is (somewhat) fixed. But I doubt Allanea wants us to do that in this thread, so hopefully that's the end of it here].
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:10 am

OOC: It should be noted that there is only one Allanea. It is a fantastic nation with a population of 30+ billion people. I use various narrative devices to be able to roleplay with people who do not roleplay on my level of 'power' or 'realism' so as to enable them to interact with me in fair circumstances, and if you like I will elaborate on them elsewhere.

As far as I am concerned, the events C'tan described are events which historically occurred for Allanea, and are part of its historical record, as they occurred to our frenemy, C'tan, and our enemy, Crystal Spires.

I am unaware of the word 'Espying'.

In general I am perplexed by your attempts to apply legal strictures to discussion that don't, strictly, apply in the NS-verse.

Now, in my view, two things can happen.

If you are willing to have a friendly RP where we exchange in mutual insults in-character, which are not meant to be OOC, and eventually move on to some other RP when we tire of pseudo-diplomatic banter, I am completely okay with that.

If you feel that this format is OOC unpleasant to you, we can halt at any time, or we can talk and schedule a different sort of RP.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

The Ctan
Minister

Postby The Ctan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:12 am

Ho hum, only addressing the bits that are not under in-character dispute.

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:[OOC: Ctan, much as I respect your right to suppose whatever historical events you like in your canon, whether they correspond with what actually happened or not, I should point out that the historical record shows:

(1) That the Ausitorians were of the opinion that the Spirians attempted to deprive an IUEF member of representation in a manner contrary to international law,
(2) That Sir Thomas was in a convenient* coma,
(3) That no proper provision was allowed for his defence,
(4) That Ausitoria’s use of the word “spying” was in the context of “espying”, i.e. observing, which is commonplace among all nations which pay any attention to international affairs while enjoying freedom of navigation (of which I understand Allanea is one),
(5) That Ausitoria maintains that one has to park submarines somewhere (and it is known to be pointless keeping them in home waters, as Allanea &c. demonstrates),
(6) That the incident was not more than ten years ago (and a lot less with relative time), and Thomas remains in the convenient* coma,
I'm amused you think that the hospital wouldn't spot coma-inducing levels of barbituates in his bloodwork. But hey ho. It was five out-of-character years ago, my timeline's advanced faster than that; this being nationstates I'm sure you've dealt with people who have had different amounts of time pass before.
(7) That Spires deprived attempts by Ausitoria to provide Thomas Wooley with proper medical assistance,
(8) That Spires operated on a comatose patient of unfamiliar metabolism and stole part of his fingernail in a manner contrary to medical advice, and
(9) That Spires intended to extradite a potentially dangerously comatose patient who should not have been moved to a realm which was publicly ready to kill him in a manner contrary to the international conventions barring the death penalty.
But... Spires itself has the death penalty. It even has and inflicts death by torture in gruesome unspecified ways. From the context I think they have Lingchi, the actual death by a thousand cuts. They've done it in RP, not sure why you think they signed onto these conventions. EDIT: Checked, and yes, I'm right about their 'purification' execution being basically-Lingchi (slow-slicing).

This is an example of the same kind of thing you've done in most of our interactions, you basically operate on the notion that every RP nation is bound by Westphalian rules and UN standards, and difficulties arise when you encounter a nation with different diplomatic or legal traditions. The C'tani have signed no agreements against the death penalty. Of course, that says nothing to espying submarines or abducting heads of state, but oh-well.
(*Induced. I acknowledge I ought to have mentioned this at this time, but I wasn’t sure that you would appreciate the meaning of SIC. Sorry).

As far as my own canon goes, let the historical record speak for itself.

Anyway, you may wish to make any corrections to your canon to bring it in line with what actually happened. Of course I am not saying that your communique has to tell the truth – but for me to reply, I do need to know that it exists in the same reality, and has any bearing on anything here. Therefore please do let us know. Of course if the Ausitoria you're talking about is completely unrelated to this Ausitoria, I'd be much obliged if you'd please remove your post].
No, it's very much you. But my response to past interactions with you is absolutely based on our past RP history, and is something you need to work hard to mend in character if you want a more favourable response. Wrangling and handwringing about OOC details of an RP that's five years in the past is not likely to get you the influence you crave.
Last edited by The Ctan on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The Necrons were amongst the first beings to come into existance, and have sworn that they will rule over the living." - Still surprisingly accurate!
"Be you anywhere from Progress Level 5 or 6 and barely space-competent, all the way up to the current record of PL-20 for beings like the C’Tan..." Lord General Superior Rai’a Sirisi, Xenohumanity
"Many races and faiths have considered themselves to be a threat to the Necrons, but their worlds and their cultures are now little more than interesting archaeology."
Want to get in touch? Direct Discord Link

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:27 am

OOC:

Okay guys, I'm asking both of you.

I am pleading with you.

I would prefer, vastly, if this discussion became an IC discussion again.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Wartorn America
Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby Wartorn America » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:40 pm

sure we could use it.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 pm

To: The Freedom of Information Office, The Whittan Office, The Aestorian Commonwealth
Copies To: The Federal Council of The Confederacy
From: François Schiendl, Ministry of Justice, Genève, The Confederacy of Neu Engollon

To Those It May Concern at the Freedom of Information Office within the Whittan Office,

The correspondence and subsequent replies to the Minister of Finance and Commerce, Dietfried Plemarche, from agencies and officials of the Aestorian Commonwealth and all entities associated with (claimed or not), have been reviewed by the Federal Council, upon forwarding from the Finance Minister and review by the Justice Ministry and National Security Ministry.

Matters formerly addressed to the Finance and Commerce Ministry from such prior mentioned entities are now to be handled by those entrusted with the security of the Confederacy, within and without its borders. Any further correspondence with the Finance Minister, separately from the Federal Council to which he is a part, is now to cease and desist, upon orders of the High Federal Circuit Court of the Confederacy, in Telleursville, upon the date of receival of this document.

Litigious threats levied on the Confederacy from the Aestorian Commonwealth, through the use of sham courts with zero jurisdiction such as the self-proclaimed ‘International Arbitration Court’ by the Commonwealth have been taken into account on its ludicrous face, but not to a level that would interrupt the natural, normal flow of government duties. It must be noted that we have taken into account how rapidly the afore mentioned supposed independent court, based in Panessos, reacted, within hours, to accusations leveled at the Commonwealth and acted accordingly, indicating a high level of collaboration with the government of the Commonwealth.

Further investigation of this International Arbitration Court and its lack of jurisdiction in most all other realms of the multiverse confirms that it is a tool of the Commonwealth and will be treated as such, with no other denials by the Commonwealth or its officials having any bearing on this decision.

Measures have been taken to ensure the economic and territorial integrity of the Confederacy, and we will demand that the Commonwealth desist in all activities that may further put in jeopardy the relationship between our two nations, risking its own economic and political solvency in the process.

No further reply is necessary to this remittance.

Most Sincerely,
François Schiendl, Minister of Justice, The Confederacy of Neu Engollon

I am honoring Allanea and doing my best to keep this dignified and keep a clear line between OOC and IC. I do not see this progressing much further, but in the case that it might, one could be assured of the following actions. Also, the following may seem like an overreaction, but when applied to someone who goes to such lengths to get their way and shut down any criticism, as well as the alleged assassination plot, we think these are reasonable preparedness measures:

1. Upon normal session of the Federal Council (no emergency review necessary), matters would indeed be handed over to the Justice, National Security and Defense Ministries.

2. Cyber Security Forces that fall under all three of those ministries would be activated to ensure the security of Neu Engollian governmental agencies and corporate entities from cyber attack abroad, with a special focus on the Aestorian Commonwealth. Other projects would be set aside for the time being, with passive monitoring of potential attacks from other national entities. Neu Engollian corporate IT departments would be consulted and coordinated with to further ensure economic security.

3. The same forces would then work proactively to find back doors and inplant worms and passive trackers into Aestorian financial concern infrastructure and governmental agencies, with a special focus on operational assets and funding of the Aestorian military, as well as targeting parallel cyber security and warfare units and agencies of the Commonwealth. Accounts belonging to the Aestorian Commonwealth government in overseas banks would be identified with the possibility of requests to freeze them being drawn up for the respective governments whose jurisdiction they are registered in. No other action would be taken other than ensuring the ability to move swiftly if given word to do so.

4. Unnecessary deployments of the Neu Engollon Defense Forces would be halted and extended recreational leaves cancelled for active duty personnel. State of Readiness reports would be compiled and reviewed. Orders for call up reserves would be drawn up, but not be issued yet. RCC crews would be called back to base and notified of the potential for a 6 hour scramble. Similarly, the First Fleet would prepare for a possible deployment with leaves cancelled. The NEDM Diplomatic Guard Corps would be notified to craft operational plans to track and rescue Neu Engollian citizens and property overseas at potential risk from Aestorian aggression.

5. Diplomatic personnel in dozens of nations that are good friends to the Confederacy and in close vicinity to the Commonwealth would work in conjunction with host countries to solidify and coordinate actions to isolate the Aestorian Commonwealth.

6. Further action would depend on what actual physical actions were taken by the Commonwealth towards Neu Engollian citizens and sovereignty. While few are expected, with the irrationality of the nation in question, no action too far can be ruled out.
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Santiland Repubilc
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Santiland Repubilc » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:55 pm

The Government of Santiland wishes to sign this agreement.
Member of the World Conferemce

[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature.

Please refer to me in IC and OOC as the the Santiland Republic or Santiland not Santiland Repubilc, I mis spelled my nation name.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:56 am

The Free Kingdom Ministry of Foreign Affairs welcomes the various new members to our free trade area.
Last edited by Allanea on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Samofia
Civilian

Founded: Oct 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Samofia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:40 am

Sure I’ll sign, sounds good

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 am

Samofia wrote:Sure I’ll sign, sounds good

Would it be possible for you to make an IC post?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade