NATION

PASSWORD

LY46 'Hellhammer' .50 cal pistol

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

LY46 'Hellhammer' .50 cal pistol

Postby Lyras » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Weight: 1.61kg
Length: 279.4mm (11 inches)
Barrel length: 165.1mm (6.5 inches)
Cartridge: 12.7mm x 35mm caseless telescoping (.50 Lyran CaseLess)
Action: gas-operated
Rate of fire: semi-automatic
Muzzle velocity: 460m/s
Muzzle energy: 2284.5 J
Effective range: 60m
Feed system: single-stacked magazine (7+1)
Sights: v-notch, with picatinny rails for additional fittings

Abstract
The LY46 Hellhammer is a large-bore, gas-operated, high-lethality, semi-automatic pistol, designed and manufactured by the Lyran Protectorate, and produced primarily at Highcairn Manufacturing Zones 198 through 212.

Background
The Protectorate of Lyras maintains a large numbers of embassies around the world, staffed by personnel of Diplomatic Command. On more than one occasion, protests (against Lyras or Lyran policies) of various kinds have turned violent, and Lyran embassies are sometimes considered easy (or, in any case, easier) targets. Personnel, as per Lyran law, must always carry a weapon within arm's reach, and thus the embassies are never defenceless. However, in some parts of the world there are restrictions on what firearms can and cannot be carried, and as a consequence Diplomatic Command has at times found itself in the unenviable position of facing aggressors wearing body armour with nothing more than their L45 handguns. While the L45 is an exceptionally effective weapon for its type, it is designed to be a sidearm for use in conjunction with a heavier primary system, and is not designed to offer notable penetrating power against armoured attackers.

While the instances where Diplomatic Command has come under attack have been few, and the defence mounted by personnel involved successful (in that the embassies held until local law enforcement could arrive), the Lyran Protectorate has always been loathe to look to others for defence of its own.

As a consequence, a requirement was submitted to the Protectorate Research and Development Commission for a weapon which would qualify as a pistol, thereby satisfying international legality for firearms maintained at an embassy, yet possessed of sufficient potency to ensure Diplomatic Command personnel are able to reliably employ lethal force against armoured personnel.

The conclusions reached from the initial assessment were that a two-prong approach would be required, one in which both weapon and ammunition were considered. It was also quickly determined that the finished product may be quite successful on the international export market, and is also, arguably, the first Lyran product that may be more suitable for civilian employment than in the broader military context, where combatants are likely to have access to heavier weaponry.

Construction
The LY46 is an unusual blend of heavy and light construction, due in no small part to the war being waged between the requirement to make the weapon as light as possible and the requirement to make it as heavy as possible to minimise felt recoil. A number of compromises were put into place, with recoil attentuation still very much a consideration, but making the weapon's total weight considerably less than it might otherwise have been.
The LY46's combined bolt-carrier and slide assembly are made of tungsten, both for heat tolerance during firing and also for added weight to the working parts, tungsten being considerably heavier than steel. The pistol, where feasible, uses fibreglass reinforced polyamide, with a variety of finishes available, depending on the preference of the individual, unit or purchaser. The weapon's barrel is cold hammer forged steel, as are the minimum parts required to operate the firing mechanisms and gas system.Anything that can be made out of synthetic materials, without compromising the weapon's reliability and performance, has indeed been made thus.

Operating System
The LY46 itself was built using a variation on the gas-actuated pistol design patented by Magnum Research in 1983, which later went on to become the Desert Eagle. However, a number of issues pertaining to the Desert Eagle have been addressed in the LY46, making the two systems, while visually similar, somewhat different in their operating systems. Gas-actuation was selected to allow for the LY46 to utilise far more potent cartridges than are normally featured in semi-automatic pistols. However, the use of direct-impingement was frowned upon, and was quickly scrapped in favour of a more conventional (in rifle terms at least) short-stroke system.

Recoil attentuation
Given the high power of the .50LCL cartridge, and the fact that this is a pistol, not a rifle, mitigation of felt recoil is an extremely high priority. The LY46's 165mm barrel is fitted with a muzzle brake and recoil compensator, which vents propellant gases sideways and up, which counteracts the conventional tendency for a weapon's muzzle to rise when fired.
The unusually heavy tungsten bolt-carrier/slide takes much of the felt recoil with it as it moves rearwards, and the heavy duty recoil springs at the rear of the bolt-carrier's movement path takes the edge off the contact/impact with the back of the weapon.
Further, use of the patented Pachmayr-designed 'Decelerator' handgrips has been approved, following a lengthy period of discussion with the Lyran Governmental Trade Department, for use with the LY46. Decelerator grips feature ergonomic finger grooves, carefully machined tactile palm grips, and a patented soft-durable rubber composite.
In total, the LY46, while still possessing considerable recoil, has far less than the power of the round would have lead one to expect. Indeed, personnel unfamiliar with the weapon will actually tend to fire second and subsequent shots low, as they overcompensate.

Ammunition
Related as it is to the Desert Eagle family of weapons, the LY46 can come in a wide variety of calibres, and conversions are a simple case of swapping out the barrel, bolt-carrier/slide and magazine.
However, the weapon is, as established above, designed to use the new 12.7 x 35mm caseless telescoping ammunition (.50LCL).
Caseless telescoping may seem like an odd choice for use in a handgun, and it is indeed unusual. The logic was simple, however. Caseless telescoping ammunition was the type of ammunition for which the most propellant could be provided for a given length and width. Of further consideration is the fact that the 12.7 x 35mm cartridge is not cylindrical in cross-section, but, like the 4.7 x 33mm ammunition of the G11, is square, allowing more propellant to be packed into the cartridge's area. The caseless ammunition is used, rather than cased, to lower the weight of the charge, while allowing more of the space to be used to pack in further propellant. This same reason motivates the selection of telescoping ammunition, which provides for explosive charge packed further forward, around the point of the round.
The 12.7mm projectile is otherwise near-identical in dimensions to the .50AE, but, propelled as it is by more propellant, is over 60 metres per second faster at the muzzle of the LY46 than it is from the muzzle of the Desert Eagle. Further, the .50LCL has just shy of 2300J of energy at the muzzle, compared to the 1900J of the .50AE. By way of comparison, a conventional 5.56 x 45mm rifle round (FN SS109) has 1,767J at the muzzle of an 18 inch test barrel.

Sights
Integral standard pistol sights are fitted, but dorsal and ventral picatinny rails are fitted to allow compatibility with most international standard weapon sights. Commonwealth Arms' patented taclight is also compatible with the ventral rail, and is recommended, should a taclight be sought.

Export
The LY46 'Hellhammer' is available for purchase at NS$1500. All queries and purchases can be lodged through the Lyran Arms subsidiary of the Lyran Governmental Trade Department.
Last edited by Lyras on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Esandria
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Esandria » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:36 pm

300 hells

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Esandria wrote:300 hells

OOC: That's quite some reaction to the pistol.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Collective Systems
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Collective Systems » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Esandria wrote:300 hells

OOC: Right...

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:59 am

Wait, why would a caseless round be used in a slideresque design?
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Masikka
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Armament

Postby Masikka » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:11 am

The Federal Republic of Masikka will purchase 350 of these pistols for our police force.

Masikka
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Payment

Postby Masikka » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:14 am

I'm really new to this game. How do you send someone payment?

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Masikka wrote:I'm really new to this game. How do you send someone payment?

You RP it. At it's core, it's just saying "I have sent you X amount of dollars." Now budget sizes come into effect and there's a whole lot of other ways you can dress that statement up, but basically you just say that and after a reasonable time for delivery(getting a million pistols, for example, takes a lot longer than an order of 350), you can consider them yours to RP with.
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:18 pm

Lyran Arms-Lamoni

Masikka

OOC: Satirius is right about the money bit.

IC: Your order for 350x LY46 Hellhammer has been approved for the total cost of 525,000 standard dollars. Your new weapons will be shipped to you within the week. We are also throwing in free DPRs to the round used by the LY46. Lyran Arms thanks you for your valued custom.

Satirius

OOC:
Wait, why would a caseless round be used in a slideresque design?

Message from Lyras: So as to load the next round, and/or eject a dud.
Last edited by Lamoni on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Anthem

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Hahklallah
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hahklallah » Fri May 07, 2010 6:49 am

Secretary of Defense Robert Wayne
34 George Manson Ave.
Stockholm, Sweden, Hahklallah
+46-788-76844534
+46-788-66855321
SecDef@YourGov.Hahk

May 7

Lyras and Associates
the Protectorate of Lyras

To Lyran Arms and Associates:
We would be delighted to purchase a large shipment of this weapon. We have looked at the technical Information given above, and would like to make our order of 150 weapons of testing purposes. We thank you for your time
Sincerly,
Rovert Wayne
Secretary of Defense
Hahklallah

Ta ka au
Attaché

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ta ka au » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:15 pm

Our nation would like to purchase 4500 for our 1st federal district police force

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:18 pm

The Senatus Populusque of Joshuahood would like to purchase 10,000 of these for 15 million USD.
Romulus Dion-Capulet Diablessa Potentia, Son of Elindra Kshrlmnt and Avakael Diablessa. Proud Grandson of Heras Savaer Dion
Former WA Delegate of Unknown
Raids participated in (regardless of outcome): 26

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Joshuahood

Your order for:

10,000x LY46 Hellhammer

has been approved for the total cost of 15 million standard dollars. Your order will be completed within 1.5 years. Lyran Arms thanks you for your valued custom.

Ta ka au

Your order for:

4,500x LY46 Hellhammer

has been approved for the total cost of 6,750,000 standard dollars. Your order will be completed within one year. In the future, please do your own math, as per storefront rules. Lyran Arms thanks you for your valued custom.

Hahklallah

Your order for:

150x LY46 Hellhammer

has been accepted. The cost for this shipment will be waived, as the weapons are for testing purposes. Lyran Arms thanks you for your valued custom.
National Anthem

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:45 am

We have heard of the many great uses of the Hellhammer and of its reliability in combat, and so, we would like to purchase
1,000,000 LY-46 Hellhammer pistols for our police force.
Thank you,
Emperor Shelton
Last edited by Phonencia on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 am, edited 8 times in total.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 am

_begin_transmission_
to:lyran arms
from:bajireyn military weaponry procurment dempartment (BMWPD)
we would like to purchase 10,000 LY46 'hellhammer' pisols
money will be wired upon order conformation
_end_transmission_
Right behind you...: UDL

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 am

Bajireyn

Your order for:

10,000x LY46 Hellhammer pistol

has been approved, for the total cost of 15,000,000 standard dollars. Lyran Arms thanks you for your valued custom.

Phonencia

Your order for:

1,000,000x LY46 Hellhammer pistol

has been approved, for the total cost of 1,500,000,000 standard dollars. Lyran Arms thanks you for your valued custom.
National Anthem

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Lamoni wrote:Bajireyn

Your order for:

10,000x LY46 Hellhammer pistol

has been approved, for the total cost of 15,000,000 standard dollars. Lyran Arms thanks you for your valued custom.

thank you,we are wiring the money
Right behind you...: UDL

Pinsk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pinsk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:25 pm

To: Lyran Arms

We would like to purchase 100 LY46 for $150000.
We are sorry if we made any currency mistakes, please adjust the deduction if needed.

Sincerely, Mikhail Calzanov of the Ministry of Defense of the Princpality of Pinsk.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:27 am

Pinsk

Your order for:

100x LY46 Hellhammer

has been approved, for the total cost of 150,000 standard dollars. Lyran Arms thanks you for your valued custom.
National Anthem

Spetsnaz GRU
Envoy

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Spetsnaz GRU » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:14 pm

To: Lyran Arms
Dear Lyran Arms, the Armed Forces of Spetsnaz GRU are interested in buying 30,800 of your LY46 'Hellhammer' .50 cal pistols.
We would also request that you send 25 in advance so we may test them so we can better train our Armed Forces for them. The total amount for the purchase comes to $46,200,000.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:14 am

OOC: I see that I seem to have missed putting the standard message into this thread. Here goes:

If you want much faster responses to your orders, please place them in the main Lyran Arms thread. That way, we don't have to check multiple threads (which all link to the main Lyran Arms thread anyway). Thanks!
National Anthem

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade