NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Central Bank

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Do you like this idea (with some edits)

YES
51%
MAYBE (Still Deciding, lets see the finished product)
24%
NO
25%

Total votes : 102

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Founded: Jan 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 am

Greeting's fellow states,

I have a proposal, which I plan on enacting through the World Assembly. I would like to bring it here first to see how much traction it can gain, and how people react to it. My proposal is basically a NS Central Bank. It would first acknowledge 5 regional currencies (by application process), and those would them get set conversion rates to NSD (starting at a 1-1 rate). They would then purchase either commodities from companies within their region amounting to no more than 10,000 NSD. Every NSD after that will begin to depreciate their currency. However, whenever someone transfers currency from one dollar to another, the value of the new dollar will increase. For example, if someone within the SIR chose to spend 1 crown within The Black Hawks region (or purchase something within that region), The Black Hawks can make it mandatory to only purchase in TBH currency (pro's and cons of this can be discussed later). If they still go through with the purchase, then the value of TBH goes up, because people want it more, and the value of the SIR crown will be slightly lowered because less people want it, and there is less money in the system. It involves incredibly complicated algorythms and formulas which I am still currently editing (and would like some help with that, so please telegraph me if you can help), but all purchases within the Global Economics and Trade Forum would be fine, as long as someone notifies the central bank of the purchase. In addition, regions would need to make the central bank aware whenever they either buy back currency from citizens (making the currency worth more), or when they print currency (making it worth less). These are all in order to make sure that we are all on the same page, that way the trades actually mean something. I am more than open to suggestions, and, in addition, I am trying to simply make it so that we can keep track of how much money is actually out there.

Moreover, I am also keeping track of a registry for businesses which will keep them accountable to how much they are buying/selling, and how much it all costs (in order to make sure people are buying things with money they don't have.

This will revolutionize the game, and make the economics part actually matter. Please vote in the poll to express interest. Please comment in addition if you have comments, or send me a telegraph. For the purposes of improving the system, and making it satisfactory, if you vote no, can you please also add how you believe we could improve the system?
Last edited by Torontonian Canada on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Founder and Chair of The NationStates Central Bank

Join us on discord at https://discord.gg/mhCGmMJ

Join us on our website at: https://sites.google.com/view/nscentralb/home

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 31, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Reino do Brazil » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:45 am

ooc that is a very good idea. count me in

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Coding/Formulas

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:49 am

Reino do Brazil wrote:ooc that is a very good idea. count me in

I am currently making the spreadsheets that would be used to make it, if you would like to view them and suggest things, then here is the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:55 am

For the purposes of improving the system, and making it satisfactory, if you vote no, can you please also add how you believe we could improve the system?

Nerodanus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Nerodanus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:13 am

Are you going to be doing this all by yourself? Or are you going to share the document with the founder of every Region to handle their own economics.

I will not lie, the idea is great but so far the implementation will cause... well it will fail.

If you want something like this it has to be programmed into the website/game. which well... You should read this. Mainly the part where it mentions adding war into the game.
Pronunciation: Narrow-Dawn-Us
I do not use NS Stats
[_★_]
( -_-)
Currently revamping Nation for new RP, new info will be added later.

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 am

Nerodanus wrote:Are you going to be doing this all by yourself? Or are you going to share the document with the founder of every Region to handle their own economics.

I will not lie, the idea is great but so far the implementation will cause... well it will fail.

If you want something like this it has to be programmed into the website/game. which well... You should read this. Mainly the part where it mentions adding war into the game.

Ok, so I would allow each region to edit their economics in that they can add more currency to their region (but devalue their currency). As far as who would handle the spreadsheet, I would gather a group of people who I trust, and we together would manage the telegraphs and the spreadsheet. It will be a lot of work, but we would be able to do it. Obviously a little bit of fraud by trolls and stuff will occur, but if thats the cost of bettering the game, I don't see why not.

Nerodanus
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Nerodanus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:28 am

Torontonian Canada wrote:Ok, so I would allow each region to edit their economics in that they can add more currency to their region (but devalue their currency). As far as who would handle the spreadsheet, I would gather a group of people who I trust, and we together would manage the telegraphs and the spreadsheet. It will be a lot of work, but we would be able to do it. Obviously a little bit of fraud by trolls and stuff will occur, but if thats the cost of bettering the game, I don't see why not.

I had to do some digging but someone also found This. This Resolution founded a region to change up the game, if you see it was repealed rather quick for various reasons.

However if you decide to go on, I will support this.
I do not use NS Stats
[_★_]
( -_-)

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:32 am

Nerodanus wrote:
Torontonian Canada wrote:Ok, so I would allow each region to edit their economics in that they can add more currency to their region (but devalue their currency). As far as who would handle the spreadsheet, I would gather a group of people who I trust, and we together would manage the telegraphs and the spreadsheet. It will be a lot of work, but we would be able to do it. Obviously a little bit of fraud by trolls and stuff will occur, but if thats the cost of bettering the game, I don't see why not.

I had to do some digging but someone also found This. This Resolution founded a region to change up the game, if you see it was repealed rather quick for various reasons.

First, I want to thank you for your research, I would not have found that otherwise. Second, I want to thank you for your support, it means a lot for people to simply express support. Third, I wanted to know if you wanted to help organize the schematics of this system, as you are clearly very experienced, and know what you are doing.

Nerodanus
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Nerodanus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Torontonian Canada wrote:
Nerodanus wrote:

First, I want to thank you for your research, I would not have found that otherwise. Second, I want to thank you for your support, it means a lot for people to simply express support. Third, I wanted to know if you wanted to help organize the schematics of this system, as you are clearly very experienced, and know what you are doing.

Since this is the internet I am not quite sure if that was sarcasm, but if it wasnt I would hardly call myself an expert but I will be happy to help.
I do not use NS Stats
[_★_]
( -_-)

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Nerodanus wrote:

Since this is the internet I am not quite sure if that was sarcasm, but if it wasnt I would hardly call myself an expert but I will be happy to help.

It was fully sincere

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:26 pm

I voted no personally because im not a WA member nor do I intend to follow their guidelines. Even if I was a WA member, I don't care for ideas like this because they're basically one method of political unification - I tend to disagree with political unions and many of the things they do for nations. Im sorta (IC and OOC) that person who runs on an independence streak lol. Good luck anyways though; a lot of the ideas at least seem interesting to look at.

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Common Territories wrote:I voted no personally because im not a WA member nor do I intend to follow their guidelines. Even if I was a WA member, I don't care for ideas like this because they're basically one method of political unification - I tend to disagree with political unions and many of the things they do for nations. Im sorta (IC and OOC) that person who runs on an independence streak lol. Good luck anyways though; a lot of the ideas at least seem interesting to look at.

Understandably, but you could trade with NSD without being part of the WA or a political union.

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Common Territories wrote:I voted no personally because im not a WA member nor do I intend to follow their guidelines. Even if I was a WA member, I don't care for ideas like this because they're basically one method of political unification - I tend to disagree with political unions and many of the things they do for nations. Im sorta (IC and OOC) that person who runs on an independence streak lol. Good luck anyways though; a lot of the ideas at least seem interesting to look at.

Understandably, but you could trade with NSD without being part of the WA or a political union.

Oh im not saying I wouldn't trade with a nation in using this bank/in the WA. Im just saying I wont be part of it. I was mostly just giving my anti-globalist ideals a good airing ;)

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:07 pm

I have a proposal, which I plan on enacting through the role playing (because the WA won’t technically accept it). I would like to bring it here first to see how much traction it can gain, and how people react to it. My proposal is basically a NS Central Bank. It would first acknowledge 5 regional currencies (by application process) (more could be added later by more applications), and those would them get set conversion rates to NSD (starting at a 1-1 rate). Those regional governments would then purchase either commodities from companies within their region amounting to no more than 10,000 NSD. Every NSD after that will begin to depreciate their currency. However, whenever someone transfers currency from one dollar to another, the value of the new dollar will increase. For example, if someone within the SIR chose to spend 1 crown within The Black Hawks region (or purchase something within that region), The Black Hawks can make it mandatory to only purchase in TBH currency (pro's and cons of this can be discussed later). If they still go through with the purchase, then the value of TBH goes up, because people want it more, and the value of the SIR crown will be slightly lowered because less people want it, and there is less money in the system. It involves incredibly complicated algorithms and formulas which I am still currently editing (and would like some help with that, so please telegraph me if you can help), but all purchases within the Global Economics and Trade Forum would be fine, as long as someone notifies the central bank of the purchase. In addition, regions would need to make the central bank aware whenever they either buy back currency from citizens (making the currency worth more), or when they print currency (making it worth less). Our methods of contact would be through the nations region. What we have is a small site, with a password, and we have two ways of making this work. For the regions that fully trust the central bank, they can simply have nations individually send us records of official transactions (RP of course), and we would keep track of how much money they have. For those who don’t trust us, they can create a copy of the spreadsheet, and track their region themselves, and then send us a monthly update of the spreadsheet. We update the currency exchange rates and values every month as well. These are all in order to make sure that we are all on the same page, that way the trades actually mean something. I am more than open to suggestions, and, in addition, I am trying to simply make it so that we can keep track of how much money is actually out there.

Moreover, I am also keeping track of a registry for businesses which will keep them accountable to how much they are buying/selling, and how much it all costs (in order to make sure people are buying things with money they don't have.

To start, I would like regions who are interested in joining to simply post a comment with

Region Name:
# of Nations in region:
Official Currency of Region:

In addition, I am looking for a group of 10 nations who have moderate to plentiful game experience to help me run/operate this central bank. Please send me a telegraph if interested, or simply comment on this post.

This will revolutionize the game, and make the economics part actually matter. Please comment or send me a telegraph.

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:09 pm

tag
Ðe United Provinces and Territories of Ðe Furbiſh Iſlands
Sic semper tyrannis!
Population: 283.503.325
GDP: $10,095 trillion
Currency: Furbish Guilder, ƒ1 = $1,9655
Monarch: Willem van Orange-Nassau
Stadtholder: Adjoa Iſamaan
Prime Minister: Arthur Trudeau

A social liberal Pacific island paradise, formerly a
Dutch, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish colony.
Computer science major and stereotypical nerd.
Russian, born in Israel, currently in
Massachusetts, the best state in the US.

This country is mostly based on my RL beliefs.
FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Furbish Islands wrote:tag

What???

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Central Bank Proposal Action

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:11 pm

I have a proposal, which I plan on enacting through the role playing (because the WA won’t technically accept it). I would like to bring it here first to see how much traction it can gain, and how people react to it. My proposal is basically a NS Central Bank. It would first acknowledge 5 regional currencies (by application process) (more could be added later by more applications), and those would them get set conversion rates to NSD (starting at a 1-1 rate). Those regional governments would then purchase either commodities from companies within their region amounting to no more than 10,000 NSD. Every NSD after that will begin to depreciate their currency. However, whenever someone transfers currency from one dollar to another, the value of the new dollar will increase. For example, if someone within the SIR chose to spend 1 crown within The Black Hawks region (or purchase something within that region), The Black Hawks can make it mandatory to only purchase in TBH currency (pro's and cons of this can be discussed later). If they still go through with the purchase, then the value of TBH goes up, because people want it more, and the value of the SIR crown will be slightly lowered because less people want it, and there is less money in the system. It involves incredibly complicated algorithms and formulas which I am still currently editing (and would like some help with that, so please telegraph me if you can help), but all purchases within the Global Economics and Trade Forum would be fine, as long as someone notifies the central bank of the purchase. In addition, regions would need to make the central bank aware whenever they either buy back currency from citizens (making the currency worth more), or when they print currency (making it worth less). Our methods of contact would be through the nations region. What we have is a small site, with a password, and we have two ways of making this work. For the regions that fully trust the central bank, they can simply have nations individually send us records of official transactions (RP of course), and we would keep track of how much money they have. For those who don’t trust us, they can create a copy of the spreadsheet, and track their region themselves, and then send us a monthly update of the spreadsheet. We update the currency exchange rates and values every month as well. These are all in order to make sure that we are all on the same page, that way the trades actually mean something. I am more than open to suggestions, and, in addition, I am trying to simply make it so that we can keep track of how much money is actually out there.

To start, I would like regions who are interested in joining to simply post a comment with

Region Name:
# of Nations in region:
Official Currency of Region:

In addition, I am looking for a group of 10 nations who have moderate to plentiful game experience to help me run/operate this central bank. Please send me a telegraph if interested, or simply comment on this post.

This will revolutionize the game, and make the economics part actually matter. Please comment or send me a telegraph.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:22 pm

You don't need to make multiple threads containing the same information on different boards; that's spamming. Threads merged.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:23 am

I like this idea
Sic semper tyrannis!

FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:24 am

Furbish Islands wrote:tag

What???

I'm just tagging it so I could read it later. It was 11pm when i first saw this
Sic semper tyrannis!

Torontonian Canada
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Torontonian Canada » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 am

Guys, really important. It doesn't do anything for me if you say you like the idea. I need a list of regions who are willing to become part of the Central Bank, or at least use it, and then I need a list of 9ish nations who want to be part of the central bank region, who will help manage the central bank. Please send telegraphs

Toin
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Toin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:54 pm

REGARDING the NationStates Central Bank:

I don't exactly own a region, but His Majesty's Government and the Minister for Finance would be glad to participate.
Links
News | Q&A | Make a Freedom of Information Act request | Factbook

All information posted before 26 April 2018 is retconned and completely inaccurate.

Taitung pinyin
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Taitung pinyin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:27 pm

This entry has been deleted.
Last edited by Taitung pinyin on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trosephstein
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Trosephstein wants to help!

Postby Trosephstein » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Region Name: Northcentral Pangaea
# of Nations in region: 1 (for now)
Official Currency of Region: Trosephstein dollar

I'd like to help you run the bank! :)

Thaitum
Envoy

Founded: Apr 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Thaitum » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 am

My friend, this sounds like a wonderful idea and I wish to support you here. I will try and talk to my region's Emperor to see if he can aid in any way possible.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade