NATION

PASSWORD

ooc: The Unofficial Guide to Creating a Storefront

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 am

Good guide. I approve.
Restore the Crown

Huntaer
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Huntaer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:38 am

A very good guide over all. Some comments from my part as I've been in the business since I started in Nov. 2004.

United Gordonopia wrote:
4. What Not to Do

#4, Sell Real Life Products: In NationStates, it is a widely accepted rule that any nation can make anything that exists in real life. That means that serious players will not take people seriously if you sell things like AK-47's, or Porsche Boxsters. This applies to any product, and it also applies if you just change the name.

True, however there's a few rule of thumbs we can have in this case. Lets say a nation just started out and finds him/herself in a 200 foot pile of bird shit and is being slammed by other n00bs ICly or started a war he/she cannot fight because they picked on the wrong person. Or they RP realistically and take proper casualties and equipment damage as a part of the story line. Maybe their production lines can get the job done to get more weapons and vehicles out, but it ain't fast enough. That's where the store fronts come in. They produce the RL product for them (though the nation can create in of themselves) and then helps the speed of production and the nation attacking/being attacked can defend themselves at a quicker rate and can very well turn the tide of the war.

#6, Picture Spam: This isn't much better then a one liner. All it usually is is a bunch of illustrated one liners. You may get a couple of customers, but it will never last.

Picture Spam: I don't know about you, but I like to know what a product looks like so I include a picture for a product wherever possible when I put up the stats. The stats might be great, but what if it looked like a damn POS? It's like those date site issues you sometimes hear about. "Hot girl looking for a good time," doesn't tell you much about what the girl looks like. It might list everything else about the girl, likes dislikes and so on but if you don't have a pic then you risk having a bad blind date with the picture above :p. Much can be said about purchasing a product on NS. Might be bad ethics ICly, but there's no IC rule that says you can't gyp your customers if you don't like them ICly.

#8, Spam: This has been done quite a few times. You have 3 or four products, so you make a new thread for all of them. If you have multiple products in the same category, put them in one storefront, it just makes everyone happier.

Spam: Too true, I ran into this problem myself when I first started out and made a new thread for every original Star Destroyer or Tie Fighter I developed. What I ended up doing on jolt to prevent a complete list or spam is I created one thread for the products or ships produced. For my nation, I created a Product Research thread, and for the Store Front I created a Star Forge Store Front Product Reference thread so that I can have individual stats up (stats for the Constitution Class and a Imperial Star Destroyer on the same page? HERESY!) in individual posts. It would appear though that is now unnecessary though due to the spoiler feature on the new NS forums. I might have to test that out to see if it's any better. Then my switch from jolt to NS will be complete.

#11, Make the Customer Add Up the Bill: Many storefronts state that you "need to do the math". If Wal-Mart had you add up your total in real life, it would be a disaster. It complicates it for the customer, and the store, and if the customer does it wrong, then the store may end up blaming them.

This is an interesting fact. It's true, but I make people do it because I generally don't have the time to add it all up myself if they make a giant purchase. However, I do round numbers to get a simple guestimate so that I know people are in the general ballpark. I MIGHT hire someone to do it for me and they get a small percentage of the products made from that point onward...
Last edited by Huntaer on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear."

SWG OOC Factbook. Under Construction!

United Gordonopia
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Huntaer wrote:A very good guide over all. Some comments from my part as I've been in the business since I started in Nov. 2004.

United Gordonopia wrote:
4. What Not to Do

#4, Sell Real Life Products: In NationStates, it is a widely accepted rule that any nation can make anything that exists in real life. That means that serious players will not take people seriously if you sell things like AK-47's, or Porsche Boxsters. This applies to any product, and it also applies if you just change the name.

True, however there's a few rule of thumbs we can have in this case. Lets say a nation just started out and finds him/herself in a 200 foot pile of bird shit and is being slammed by other n00bs ICly or started a war he/she cannot fight because they picked on the wrong person. Or they RP realistically and take proper casualties and equipment damage as a part of the story line. Maybe their production lines can get the job done to get more weapons and vehicles out, but it ain't fast enough. That's where the store fronts come in. They produce the RL product for them (though the nation can create in of themselves) and then helps the speed of production and the nation attacking/being attacked can defend themselves at a quicker rate and can very well turn the tide of the war.

#6, Picture Spam: This isn't much better then a one liner. All it usually is is a bunch of illustrated one liners. You may get a couple of customers, but it will never last.

Picture Spam: I don't know about you, but I like to know what a product looks like so I include a picture for a product wherever possible when I put up the stats. The stats might be great, but what if it looked like a damn POS? It's like those date site issues you sometimes hear about. "Hot girl looking for a good time," doesn't tell you much about what the girl looks like. It might list everything else about the girl, likes dislikes and so on but if you don't have a pic then you risk having a bad blind date with the picture above :p. Much can be said about purchasing a product on NS. Might be bad ethics ICly, but there's no IC rule that says you can't gyp your customers if you don't like them ICly.

#8, Spam: This has been done quite a few times. You have 3 or four products, so you make a new thread for all of them. If you have multiple products in the same category, put them in one storefront, it just makes everyone happier.

Spam: Too true, I ran into this problem myself when I first started out and made a new thread for every original Star Destroyer or Tie Fighter I developed. What I ended up doing on jolt to prevent a complete list or spam is I created one thread for the products or ships produced. For my nation, I created a Product Research thread, and for the Store Front I created a Star Forge Store Front Product Reference thread so that I can have individual stats up (stats for the Constitution Class and a Imperial Star Destroyer on the same page? HERESY!) in individual posts. It would appear though that is now unnecessary though due to the spoiler feature on the new NS forums. I might have to test that out to see if it's any better. Then my switch from jolt to NS will be complete.

#11, Make the Customer Add Up the Bill: Many storefronts state that you "need to do the math". If Wal-Mart had you add up your total in real life, it would be a disaster. It complicates it for the customer, and the store, and if the customer does it wrong, then the store may end up blaming them.

This is an interesting fact. It's true, but I make people do it because I generally don't have the time to add it all up myself if they make a giant purchase. However, I do round numbers to get a simple guestimate so that I know people are in the general ballpark. I MIGHT hire someone to do it for me and they get a small percentage of the products made from that point onward...

Most things that you've mentioned have already been discussed on previous pages. About the picture spam, I didn't say don;t post pictures. If you read it, it says picture spam is "like an illustrated one liner". You see them a lot. It refers to "stores" which have a bunch of pictures and a line or two of detail.
If you ever have an RPing question, please TG me about it.
Also Known as Kazmr

Host: Baptism of Fire 51, 53
Third Place: Cup of Harmony 56
Semi-Finalist: World Cup 63

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:52 am

Feedback on this is appreciated:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25256

(my alternate account for a nation's vehicle manufacturer)
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Lelouche
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelouche » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:55 am

I found this guide very useful, and figured the only OOC thread would be a great place to ask this question

What would be the best way and place to go about Opening my Nation, for foreign investment?

IE I haven't seen a thread I can emulate. and my goal is to have other nations, jumpstart and build the economy of my tiny (yet fiscally sound) Economically conservative nation

I used the calculators you linked for determining Economic figures...and the results were consistent among the three that actually worked.

The results were promising...but could be better, (rping obvisiously won't change those results, and I wonder how that is compensated for on forum and RP)

in short I'm new, and need hand holding
Gun control is for wimps and commies.

Let's get one thing straight: guns don't kill people.... I do.

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 am

Lelouche wrote:I found this guide very useful, and figured the only OOC thread would be a great place to ask this question

What would be the best way and place to go about Opening my Nation, for foreign investment?

IE I haven't seen a thread I can emulate. and my goal is to have other nations, jumpstart and build the economy of my tiny (yet fiscally sound) Economically conservative nation

I used the calculators you linked for determining Economic figures...and the results were consistent among the three that actually worked.

The results were promising...but could be better, (rping obvisiously won't change those results, and I wonder how that is compensated for on forum and RP)

in short I'm new, and need hand holding

The best way would be to open a thread welcoming foreign companies into your nation, if that's what you want. Or you can open a general trade thread in which you list products you want, and companies will give offers to supply them.
Also Known as Kazmr

Niur
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Niur » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Gordonopia, Would you be kind enough to inspect my store-front to see if it is aduaquate?
(please excuse my poor spelling, my fingers hurt as I have been working on NaNoWriMo all today.)
"In cahuitontli ca otopan, yehuantzitzin yollochipahuac tonaz, yeceh yehuantzitzin tica imanimanmeh tlahueliloc telchihualozque. In cahuitontli ca teuctlatolli ic otopan, auh yehuan quitzacua, in neltiliztli, onyezque huetztoc!"

Concordeia
Senator

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concordeia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:27 pm

I need some help guys. I've posted an energy products storefront but I have received only one customer so far. I've built a second revamped one but I still haven't gotten any takers. Any idea why?

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29409
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:
Concordeia wrote:Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

I gotta say it. First time I read through this, I could have sworn it said something like this:
Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block spam missiles!

I was like, "Who the hell are you fighting... or more importantly, was your lunch meat laced?"

Grossrheinland Reich wrote:
CTALNH wrote:3 words: S&M and BSDM

Let it be known that God hates you.
OOC: so fkn hawt

Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Concordeia wrote:I need some help guys. I've posted an energy products storefront but I have received only one customer so far. I've built a second revamped one but I still haven't gotten any takers. Any idea why?

I think, but I'm more into the military and service storefronts but still, that people can make that themselfs in their country. Maybe if you would also sell oil, uranium and windturbines and that kind of things, people might think 'Mmmmm maybe I'll take that too'.
I am a Cultural-Nationalistic Authoritarian Socio-Capitalist. Grittonia's own Pappaïsm reflects that.
The Grittonian Embassy program!
Join my quest for World Fame! And my quest to make out with guys from all nations of the world! Sign-up now!
Hot, Dutch, gay and single!

Grittonia's Law wrote:Everyone is gay, they just don't know it.
One who automatically claims they are straight without probing are undoubtedly gay.

Gren's Theorem wrote:Everyone is attracted to Grit. Those who say differently simply refuse to acknowledge it.

"Oy vey! All he talked about was parties and sex! And those Perviolosi twins kept tugging at my pants. Get me some tylenol." - Roman Ambassador after meeting Pappa Nick & his entourage

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Concordeia wrote:I need some help guys. I've posted an energy products storefront but I have received only one customer so far. I've built a second revamped one but I still haven't gotten any takers. Any idea why?

its only been about a day and sundays are historically a quiet day on GEAT so things will improve

You have also had the misfortune of starting a resource thread in the midst of a resurgent "oil" bandwagonfest which is really not going to help.

Whilst technically accurate (as far as I can tell with my tired and flu ridden head) your store front really doesn't scream "YOU NEED THIS STUFF"! Which unfortunatly is a big issue as people tend to assume that they have all the boring resource and energy infrastructure they might possibly need so you need somethign spectacular to grab them by the lapels or something that is really going to blind those people actually interested in RPing that side of thier nation with lots of wonderful science.

just a few of my random thoughts.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Adding on, resources tend to be a niche storefront. Few resource stores survive, but that doesn't mean yours won't. There's a lot of hype about oil right now, so until that dies down, don't expect to much business.
Also Known as Kazmr

Concordeia
Senator

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concordeia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks for the advice and comments guys, I really appreciate it. :)
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:
Concordeia wrote:Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

I gotta say it. First time I read through this, I could have sworn it said something like this:
Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block spam missiles!

I was like, "Who the hell are you fighting... or more importantly, was your lunch meat laced?"

Grossrheinland Reich wrote:
CTALNH wrote:3 words: S&M and BSDM

Let it be known that God hates you.
OOC: so fkn hawt

Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868

Cipherlocke
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cipherlocke » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Nice Guide! I appreciate it.

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Cipherlocke wrote:Nice Guide! I appreciate it.

Thanks. It's always good to get compliments.
Also Known as Kazmr

Novalands
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novalands » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:51 pm

What program do people use to create guns, tanks, ships, etc? I know theres pimp my gun but what is else?
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Novalands wrote:What program do people use to create guns, tanks, ships, etc? I know theres pimp my gun but what is else?

Paint, Paint.net, Gimp, Photoshop.
Sweat and Tears and Inspiration.
I am a Cultural-Nationalistic Authoritarian Socio-Capitalist. Grittonia's own Pappaïsm reflects that.
The Grittonian Embassy program!
Join my quest for World Fame! And my quest to make out with guys from all nations of the world! Sign-up now!
Hot, Dutch, gay and single!

Grittonia's Law wrote:Everyone is gay, they just don't know it.
One who automatically claims they are straight without probing are undoubtedly gay.

Gren's Theorem wrote:Everyone is attracted to Grit. Those who say differently simply refuse to acknowledge it.

"Oy vey! All he talked about was parties and sex! And those Perviolosi twins kept tugging at my pants. Get me some tylenol." - Roman Ambassador after meeting Pappa Nick & his entourage

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:19 pm

There is also biggun (of you can find it), springsharp, the CB spread sheet, the lanz odermat equation (and various small programs and spreadheets that it it easier to play with), facehard, JBM trajectory calcs (or Quickload), various kinetic energy calcs and most importantly http://www.onlineconversion.com/ . Some might even use the likes of the X-plane editor

Or did you mean for just pictures?
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Novalands
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novalands » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Things like these: ImageImage
(These belong to "Imperial State Corporation")

And thanks for the help.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Zinaire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Things like that are done in Paint.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Factbook | Embassies | ODECON | Tarquinia

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 pm

I don't think expecting customers to do their own math is terribly unreasonable. Any good/serious customer would have added up the prices anyway to make sure they could actually afford it, so all you're doing is asking them to show the work they should have already done anyway.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Serbian_Soviet_Union
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Serbian_Soviet_Union » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:26 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:I don't think expecting customers to do their own math is terribly unreasonable. Any good/serious customer would have added up the prices anyway to make sure they could actually afford it, so all you're doing is asking them to show the work they should have already done anyway.

I second that. Also a serious storefront would only accept orders if the order is done in "In Character" and properly rp'ed. A serious customer would also specify the location for the delivery aswell.
Zastava Arms Inc Cheap Military Hardware: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6443
Zastava Energy Inc & Zastava Oil Corporation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7806
Full member of: AMNAT, CIN, SCUTUM, CA, VA, PSUS
Observer Member of: GIA, EA, CI

Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) State of War/State of Emergency || Preparation for a possible war
Military size 5% Active || 2.5% Reserves
Government Type: Capitalist, Conservative, Right Wing, Democratic
FSSU Nations Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9558
Serbian Broadcasting News: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9733
Baxtell Heavy Engineering Droid Works

Almaniania
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Almaniania » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:27 pm

I recently opened up a storefront at a partner's request, and I feel compared to this, it's gonna die.
I am thankful another nation pointed me here. It seems like I have a good concept, but it isn't going anywhere...

Back to the drawing board.
The Republic of the Almanianian Federation: Official 2012 World Census Pencil Pusher Counter
{Almaniania}: Embassy -- Factbook
Current troop level: DEFCON 4

WARNING: I AM A GRAMMAR SOCIALIST. BEWARE
NationStates Personification
One of the Founders of National Personification Role Playing
Did you know I was a writer? You didn't? Perhaps you'd like to read a few of my stories and tell me what you think then.

Duroland
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Accounting and timelines

Postby Duroland » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:10 am

Hi, I'm quite new and maybe I missed something somewhere, so...

I already set up a storefront (not very successful, currently).
What I need to know is:
- how do I keep track of money earned (and spent) through RP? Should I keep my own records and "mix" them with the figures provided by the likes of NSEconomy?
- Ho do I deal with long-term contracts (e.g. $1million per year for 10 years)? Is there a rule somewhere (where?) saying how long (in RL terms) one RP year is?

Thanks

"Cinc ghei püssee ma russ!"
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -3.25 - 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:33 am

Well it is a nice storefront if covering a product group that people sadly tend not to think about.

In regard to your questions:

1. Yeah you really need to keep your own records if you want to keep any. Some of us are terribly lazy and don't really bother which can sometimes be an issue. Generally speaking from what I can gather it is assumed that any money you make is already covered by your nations economy stats, if you use them.

2. Due to the fact that on NS time is essentially fluid this is a difficult one, there have been many attempts at codifying it but nothing ever sticks. People tend to use 1 time scale for the likes of storefront transactions and by necessity a very different one for other RPs. At one time the rule of 1 NS year= 1RL day was common for storefront RP but it can be argued that is possibly too short. Some use a month, some use a week it varies hugely depending on what is needed or feel right. For contracts etc I tend to leave the actual time scale up to each customer but it is something worth agreeing OOCly with customers, possibly on a case by case basis.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Duroland
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Duroland » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 am

Thank you so much! All very clear. :clap:

"Cinc ghei püssee ma russ!"
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -3.25 - 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads