NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

Postby Tippercommon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:28 pm

"The secret of all victory lies in the organization of the non-obvious." - Marcus Aurelius

This thread is meant to help new players and even some of the more experienced economic roleplayers on Global Economics and Trade by providing a coherent directory of guides and other links relevant to Global Economics, effectively pooling anything that may be useful to a fledgling economic entity. This thread also has a secondary purpose. If you have any problems, you may post on this thread with any questions. There's always an experienced member of the GE&T Community to help you out! Any suggestions that you may have from changes in formatting to the addition of helpful links would be appreciated. If you have anything you want to tell me, whether it be suggestions and what not, please telegram Tippercommon.

Advice
  • Read the guides listed in this sticky. There's useful information in there.
  • Do not create storefronts for the sake of having a lot of storefronts. Focus your efforts on one storefront at first and maybe expand into new industries with a few more storefronts over time. Would you rather have an empire of nothing or a couple high-quality storefronts that people respect?
  • Watch people and ask questions. Formatting and marketing is half the battle. Look at how other people format their storefronts and create your own style. Learn how to use a free image editing software like GIMP or Photoshop. Most of the successful storefront owners have a good basis in a roleplay region. Stick around for a while in II and get ins with a reputable roleplay region or with decent roleplayers.
  • Research. Having great products is the other half of the battle. You can begin by looking at similar products on GE&T, but you're going to half to spend hours researching each product online if you want it to be perceived as high quality. You want accurate information, and depending on the tech level, realistic information.
  • Use proper grammar, be polite, and do not be obnoxious. If you become known as the guy who is rude and can't spell, it's really hard to bounce bay from that.
  • Take your time. I've been experimenting with storefront formatting and graphic design since 2011 and I'm still learning. Every iteration, the quality gets better. You won't have the perfect storefront your first try. It may not even be particularly good. But, if you keep trying, over the years you will develop your own style and become a professional.

Credits
This help desk was largely influenced by Vitaphone Racing and Yohannes' suggestions for the creation of a Help Desk and made me want to push for the creation of such a service. Maltropia and several other members of the community answer questions regularly.

Mentors
Here is a list of II Roleplay Mentors; volunteers experienced in II and GE&T. Feel free to contact them if you have any roleplay or economic questions. The NS Mentor IRC Channel is #NSMentors.

Lingo
Here are some general terms you should know when participating in GE&T!
  • GE&T - Global Trade & Economics, The Storefront Thread
  • PT - Past Tech
  • MT - Modern Tech
  • PMT - Post Modern Tech
  • FT - Future Tech
  • PFT - Post Future Tech, Multidimensional/Muliuniversal
  • FanT - Fantasy Tech
  • TG - Telegram
  • NSD/USD - NationStates Dollars/Universal Standard Dollars; equivalent to United States Dollars.
  • Calculator - A tool which calculates your nation's economic statistics (see Helpful Links Section)
  • OP - Original Post
  • DPR - domestic production rights
  • MBT - main battle tank
  • APC - armored personnel carrier
  • IFV - infantry fighting vehicle
  • ASF - air superiority fighter
Last edited by Tippercommon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 56 times in total.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Handy Guide to GE&T Product-Making
A comprehensive guide by The Nation of Ceneria on how, "make an accurate and successful product for your Global Economics and Trade storefront."

Guide to Storefront Navigation
A comprehensive guide by Tippercommon on how to manipulate the site's BBCode and incorporate graphic design to make your storefronts easier to navigate through the use of tables of contents, design concepts and anchors.

Guide to Formatting Your Storefront
A comprehensive guide by Maltropia on how to manipulate the site's BBCode to make your storefront look fabulous.

A Simple Guide to Creating a Product
Going into detail about the principles of "formulating . . . designing . . . and finalizing your product," Yohannes' Guide To Creating A Product showcases the necessities of a product, what not to do during the concept, production and marketing phase of selling your product, basic rules that you should never break and some added formatting guides which should add some well needed appeal to your storefront.

Guide to Customer Service
A guide on the etiquette of purchasing items from a storefront, replying to orders, and basic write-up skills by Mikoyan-Guryevich.

The Unofficial Guide to Creating a Storefront
A very in depth guide of instructional guidelines when creating your storefront, United Gordonopia's Guide To Creating A Storefront lays out information step by step of things you should never do under any circumstances, how to achieve excellent customer service, how to expand your storefront, how to handle the financial aspects of your NS business and some important formatting guides which should help you in giving you storefront a good aesthetic appeal.

Guide to Auto Storefronts
A specialized guide for the design and details of automobile storefronts, Van Luxemburg's Guide To Auto Storefronts makes clear what not to do in your auto storefront, clearly lays out information crucial to creating an automobile, including American and European car-class designations and pricing, as well as basic principles of making a car comfortable and efficient to drive in.

Guide to Creating and Selling a Firearm
Designed for the design of firearms, Tippercommon's Guide To Designing a Firearm v2 combines a detailed section of the basic mechanics of a firearm and the 'what not to dos' when in the concept phase of creating a realistic weapon, with a formatting guides sections packed with information that make just give your storefront the upper hand over the rest of the competition, with suggestions on how to us coding, image editing software and how to lay out information.

Guide to Building a Fighter
An in depth guide to designing a fighter aircraft, the Tutorial to Building a Fighter on the NSDraftroom gives in depth information about the variation components of a fighter and what makes one worth selling and using. Also, if you are planning to sell an aircraft, check out the Aircraft Specifications Outline to learn what information you need on your storefront or factbook.

Guide to Selling Real-Life Products
A guide to aid in the sale and formatting of storefronts which sell real-world products by Mikoyan-Gurevich.

Guide to an Airline Storefront
A guide to creating an Airline by Mizialand.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:52 am, edited 26 times in total.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:29 pm

What Makes a Successful Storefront?
An in-depth survey conducted by United Gordonopia cataloging the top storefronts, why they are successful, and how you can do it too.

The Great GE&T Survey: A Statistical Snapshot
An incredibly in-depth survey conducted by United Gordonopia cataloging GE&T's development since 2009 and how the market has changed over years of involvement from the members of the site.

The List of GE&T-index Listed Businesses
The Official List of Active Storefronts maintained and operated by Yohannes is a categorized and organized directory of the GE&T massive storefront economy, ranging from tourism agencies to the largest stock exchanges.

Economy Calculators
Economy calculators are tools which take the statistics of your nation (population, civil rights, political rights, economic strength and regional power level) or region, and add a lot solid economic terms to it. his is based completely on how you answer your issues, deciding where your funding goes. Calculators do pretty much the same thing, although their calculations do vary. These are useful tools for figuring out how much money you can spend in GE&T. Although useful, they are not required in MT and PMT, and in FT and PT are almost useless.

NSEconomy
NSDossier

NS Draftroom
NS Draftroom is a very useful tool if you are striving for a realistic and viable product. One of the main Draftroom IRC channels is #NSArms, dedicated to both military and non-military engineering discussion, ranging from firearms, artillery, vehicles, and civil engineering.

NSDossier
From the makers of NSDossier, Texas has created a directory of tools known as NSSuite. With such pages as NSDossier, NSEmbassy and NSNation, Texas is earning its pay today.

A Step-by-Step Guide to Calculating Your Profits
The Step-by-Step Guide to Calculating Your Profits by Vault 10 is an in-depth guide on how to calculate your company's profits from your revenues. Providing helpful resources from CNN Money, he explains how to accurately determine out of your revenue how much you actually make. You don't want to be that guy that charges $100 for a piece of paper so you can make a 10,000% profit right?
Last edited by Tippercommon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 pm

-
Last edited by Tippercommon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Nice!
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Yohannes wrote:Nice!

Thanks.

Swkoll
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Swkoll » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Stickied!
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Dec 21, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Need an Ignore Cannon?
Embassy NS wiki page
Current Wars: None as of now
Member of: Nothing right now
Defcon: 1 [2] 3 4 5
6*9=42
February 17, 2011: Never Forget.
Copy and paste this into your sig if you remember the old F7.
97% of People of NS won't notice I did my math wrong, if you are the 1% who did, copy and paste this into your sig.

I lost the Game.
Zonolia wrote:You are without doubt the smartest NS player ever...
Montiar wrote:Best f*cking idea for a storefront ever.

Bluth Corporation wrote:You know, I used to be anti-Obama.

Then the anti-Obama folks opened their mouths and I listened to what they had to say.

Now I'm pro-Obama.

Aescentia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aescentia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Very nice - but could use a link to the NSBBB (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59828&start=375).
The Archregimancy wrote:Back to dirty, perverted, shameful sex, please.
Ardchoille wrote:Get back to the tits and boobies, you lot!
NERVUN wrote:I am NERV thy MOD. Thou shalt have no other gods before us.
Reppy wrote:Because fun is fun
Stew cranberries like apples
Tastes much more like prunes

I RP under the nation the City of Vauxhall, mid-PMT. ~~ The One Time I was Ever Reported
Handy Links: GE&T Help Desk ~~ Storefront Creation Guide ~~ NSBBB ~~ NSDossier ~~ French Motto Clinic ~~ Technical FAQ ~~ Le Fil Français

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Aescentia wrote:Very nice - but could use a link to the NSBBB (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59828&start=375).

Actually, this is the right link to NSBBB: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59828

:p
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Aescentia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aescentia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Yohannes wrote:
Aescentia wrote:Very nice - but could use a link to the NSBBB (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59828&start=375).

Oooops, thank you. :P
The Archregimancy wrote:Back to dirty, perverted, shameful sex, please.
Ardchoille wrote:Get back to the tits and boobies, you lot!
NERVUN wrote:I am NERV thy MOD. Thou shalt have no other gods before us.
Reppy wrote:Because fun is fun
Stew cranberries like apples
Tastes much more like prunes

I RP under the nation the City of Vauxhall, mid-PMT. ~~ The One Time I was Ever Reported
Handy Links: GE&T Help Desk ~~ Storefront Creation Guide ~~ NSBBB ~~ NSDossier ~~ French Motto Clinic ~~ Technical FAQ ~~ Le Fil Français

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Yohannes wrote:

Added.

Globexanter
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Globexanter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:20 am

Your link to NSEconomy is incorrect, try this one: http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 am

Globexanter wrote:Your link to NSEconomy is incorrect, try this one: http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/

Fixed.

-Bederich-
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby -Bederich- » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:37 pm

You should add links to NS Dossier http://nsdossier.texasregion.net/main.aspx, and NS Tracker ~ http://tracker.conquestofabsolution.com/. Otherwise, very nice page.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:39 pm

-Bederich- wrote:You should add links to NS Dossier http://nsdossier.texasregion.net/main.aspx, and NS Tracker ~ http://tracker.conquestofabsolution.com/. Otherwise, very nice page.

I'll add NS Tracker in a couple hours but I'll have to look over the NS Dossier when I get home.

-Bederich-
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby -Bederich- » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Tippercommon wrote:
-Bederich- wrote:You should add links to NS Dossier http://nsdossier.texasregion.net/main.aspx, and NS Tracker ~ http://tracker.conquestofabsolution.com/. Otherwise, very nice page.

I'll add NS Tracker in a couple hours but I'll have to look over the NS Dossier when I get home.

Alrighty.

Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby 12088 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:56 am

isnt this "trade" thing role-play?

-Bederich-
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby -Bederich- » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 am

12088 wrote:isnt this "trade" thing role-play?

Yes, why?

Falkasia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks Tippercommon for this great repositoire... and thank you to Aescentia and Yohannes for jumping on the opportunity to get a link out there. I must have been sleeping the past three weeks.
Universal Defense Consolidated Storefront
Dramatis Personae
Just for the record; I'm colorblind to Yellow
Falkasia is ranked 1st in the region and 1st in the world for Most Awesome Nations.

Camwood
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Camwood » Sun May 01, 2011 4:15 pm

what if you had links to large comapnies like VLT or Globexanter
The Republic of Camwood
Demonym: Camian | Trigramme: CMW | Population: 80 Million
Air Camwood
cbcsport.cmw
Champions of:
Keisler Cup - U13 Baseball Tournament
Fourth
WLC 12
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." -Wayne Gretzky

Globexanter
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Globexanter » Sun May 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Camwood wrote:what if you had links to large comapnies like VLT or Globexanter

Links of all recorded GE&T companies are available in the The official list of active storefronts on GE&T. Just click the link in the post about it to go there.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Sun May 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Globexanter wrote:
Camwood wrote:what if you had links to large comapnies like VLT or Globexanter

Links of all recorded GE&T companies are available in the The official list of active storefronts on GE&T. Just click the link in the post about it to go there.

Indeed. This is mainly a conglomeration of helpful guides and instruments which help people create and maintain their own storefronts as well as purchase intelligently. The Official List of Active Storefronts is more of a directory for already created storefronts. Although these storefronts can help people, the job has already been done and frankly, a lot of it is advertisement.

Akull
Lobbyist

Founded: May 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Dividing up Government Budget

Postby Akull » Mon May 09, 2011 12:37 am

How do I dedicate amounts of money that is part of my nation's government's budget into things like Social Welfare or Education on my NSEconomy page?
Sir Jefferson Kloepfer
Knight of the Order of the Swan, Dictator of the People's Republic of Akull, Chairman of the Worker's Socialist Party

Globexanter
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Globexanter » Mon May 09, 2011 2:18 am

Akull wrote:How do I dedicate amounts of money that is part of my nation's government's budget into things like Social Welfare or Education on my NSEconomy page?

You can change this by answering Issues every day (please note that once answered, it may take some time [6 hours maybe] for NationStates to officially record your answer and modify your Nation). Also note that what happens after you have answered an Issue may not result in exactly what you may of have wanted when you chose the answer.
Last edited by Globexanter on Mon May 09, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 am

Akull wrote:How do I dedicate amounts of money that is part of my nation's government's budget into things like Social Welfare or Education on my NSEconomy page?

What you do is answer your issues everyday. These issues must be geared towards aiding the people and the children through education and social welfare. A bit socialistic perhaps. Your nation is updated every 12 hours around 10:40pm and 10:40am Pacific Standard. Typically, the ones where the corporate leaders are speaking don't help these two sectors.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade