NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:25 am

Shwe Tu Colony wrote:So I'm wondering, do most people who make requests for stores to open in their nation & related activities do so to help construct the own world, or is it since they're interested in economic or mercantile roleplay than they are the roleplays in the other subforums?

A little bit of both, actually. Having companies from other nations in your nation can help to flesh out your own cannon, but it can also be done for fun.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Klugman
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Klugman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 pm

i and the state shall make good trade deals to help both of us.

Klugman
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Klugman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:28 pm

this is not a joke mess with this state you will mess with the entire world.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:24 am

Klugman wrote:this is not a joke mess with this state you will mess with the entire world.

Ok? This isn't really the thread for making random empty threats.

Argentinstan
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentinstan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Can more than one person edit a thread?
A United Nations of Earthlings member state. Former Prime Minister.
Embassy Program l Bank of the Atlantic l Air Argentine l Argentinstan City Int'l Airport l Guide to Storefronts l Issues l City/County/State/Territory Websites
Telegram Me

Argentinstan is a constitutional monarchy representative democracy led by King Menem III and President Elijah Turner.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Argentinstan wrote:Can more than one person edit a thread?

Only the person who created a particular post can edit that post, unless you are a mod.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

The Recon Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Recon Empire » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi guys, I've been wondering about this problem for quite some time. As an operator of several storefronts in GE&T, I feel the forum is in a way a capitalist free market structure. I personally believe that a way to determine a storefront's worth is simply through the number of posts (and possibly views). Big companies (like Bank of Yohannes and Lyran Arms) reflect that, while small companies follow the natural trend of growth like in the real market as well.

What do you guys think? Should the forum steer towards utilizing such a metric to calculate and classify storefronts?

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

Postby Yohannes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:50 am

The Recon Empire wrote:Hi guys, I've been wondering about this problem for quite some time. As an operator of several storefronts in GE&T, I feel the forum is in a way a capitalist free market structure. I personally believe that a way to determine a storefront's worth is simply through the number of posts (and possibly views). Big companies (like Bank of Yohannes and Lyran Arms) reflect that, while small companies follow the natural trend of growth like in the real market as well.

What do you guys think? Should the forum steer towards utilizing such a metric to calculate and classify storefronts?

I did write a big thing but sadly I accidentally did something to mess it up (the forum somehow ate my previewed post :( )

I personally believe (and take this with a grain of salt, if you want to, aha) that the answer is no. Basically the purpose of making a storefront is to, either:

-Show everyone how much you know about [automobile stuff/arms manufacturing stuff/finance and banking stuff/insert other sector of businesses or industry here]
-Write about things [above sector of business] that you enjoy about

Believing that the more posts a storefront thread has meant the bigger the business/company/corporation that that storefront thread represents is not healthy, because that kind of views/system/mechanic are fallible to many abuse

What happen if one nation just puppet spam alternate accounts aka puppet accounts to boost his storefront thread post? We can say: Hey! This guy has only one post and doesn't have World Assembly membership badge (more than one WA results in WA ban and if continued account banning? Though I am unsure of that one), she or he must be a puppet account?

Sure, that kind of thing is easy to detect.

But what about some people that actually go the extra miles to post in many other threads beside their own storefront threads to try to make everyone believe that its not a puppet account? I know a couple of people that do that. They create many accounts in NationStates and post in multiple threads. They also have many accounts. They can abuse your theoretical system by keep on posting on their own storefronts (using their multiple puppet accounts) again, again, and again.

Another possible way it can be abused. People can just ask as many people as they want (through telegrams or through social networking) to post in their storefront threads. I personally have asked my old friends and acquaintances to post in my storefront thread in the past (though not systematic or planned, more like 'in the moment hey post in my thread man... please? <insert smiley> hehe). I know of people who have done this as well (it's impossible for at least a few people not to do this)

Another possible it can be abused. People can just purchase the mass telegram gameplay function thingy, and mass telegram as many nation states accounts as they can. Sure, there will be rejection here and there. But, for every 10 rejection there should at least be 1 acceptance?

But let us say the above are all done anyway, and Global Economics & Trade become a robotic forum where everyone do things like that (or some people who can actually be arsed... aha... enough actually have the time to do that)

Then what...?

What will roleplaying become? Just a systematic, robotic

'send telegram to [x] account'

or

'post from [x] puppet account'

and then: copy pasted reply posts of

'Greetings, I would like to say: thank you for your service. We accept your application etc etc thank you for coming and come again. Yours faithfully/sincerely [x minister man]'

Global Economics & Trade will just be a bunch of copy pasted letters posts, with a bunch of alternate accounts (with very few genuine roleplayers participating) or telegrammed accounts posting in storefronts

I mean, okay... uhm, let's say that's legal? Which it is at the moment, anyway. But, uhm... what's the fun in that?

Isn't the purpose of fantasising, dreaming, having fun writing, about your fictional company is to write as many enjoyable things as possible? (or more than not... making/editing pictures of/about things you roleplay about)

The point of storytelling or roleplaying will be gone. It'll be like, I don't know? What's even the point of roleplaying again, aha. Even now, I know that majority of GE&T is just a bunch of copy pasted letters interaction (no real thought done, or no creative writing done in the process), and I know I am guilty of this myself, aha

A global economics & Trade environment where the thread with the biggest number of posts is the 'best' will just make this already bad situation even more bad *(like... uhm, robotic, no creativity involved real bad...)

Again, take this with a grain of salt (this is just one opinion, out of many... aha), but I personally wouldn't want to roleplay in a place where companies/storefronts/institutions represented by storefronts, like my own (let's say, VMK [ viewtopic.php?t=105528 ] or Bank of Yohannes [ viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75306 ] ) are considered bigger or more IC wise influential the more posts they have

It won't bring good at all. Maybe will bring good for three or five people who like to post wanking through puppet accounts or social engineering? But what about the overall environment of the GE&T forum and future of it? I don't know aha... seems lame to me. Also, it will mean people won't concentrate to actually know as many things about the [arms manufacturing company/bank/restaurant/airport/airlines/other things] storefront that they are running or roleplaying in NationStates. Instead, it will shift the focus on irrelevant to roleplaying/storytelling things, negative stuff like what I have said above: puppet posting/alternate account posting, social engineering, simple and lack of creativity storefronts with huge posts just because they can, etc

Okay, let's say it's cool. And I am personally disliking roleplaying in such an environment, but hey, let's say it's cool right? Then what? What's even the point of creatively roleplaying/storytelling/fantasising about running an airport anymore? or running a restaurant? or trying to find or research the best menu for your restaurant (instead of just copy pasting pictures from internet and then saying 'this is burger', price: 51 NSD]

As for me. I don't want a place where companies represented by storefronts like my own (VMK or Bank of Yohannes) are considered big just because they have many posts. It's not good. It doesn't make any sense in IC/in character wise. I mean, there are thousands of nations (run by real players) who don't even bother to post in the Global Economics & Trade forums. We are like, or we can just be like small fish in the multiple communities of regions we know as NationStates)

I have to go off campus so I will have to close this here. But I will edit tomorrow

Finally, tis just my opinion. There's nothing wrong with such a possible situation (as you have said), I guess, if that will be just the way things are in the future. I mean, hey, we all have different opinions aha (though again, I probably wouldn't want to fantasise/roleplay/storytell in such a place)
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 am

What exactly is the point of a 'value' of a storefront?

Now, I am going to preface this by saying - I am a bit more of a competitive roleplayer than Yohannes. I know it's considered 'shameful' and 'bad' these days, but let's be completely honest: I enjoy it when the outcome of RPs and posts and things is a 'good' one for my main nation and characters I like. I know that this is considered 'bad' because in some people it leads to them being bad RPers. But I like what I like, and I'm not going to say it's somehow an unacceptable bad thing because that's what I like.

But let's talk about this.

What's the point of having some kind of and official 'storefront ranking'?

I mean, when a person comes to 'shop' on GE&T, most of us judge a storefront as follows:

1. Does it have the things I want? I'm not going to shop for warship in a hamburger storefront.
2. Does the storefront look like the poster put his own work into it, or are there just some random pictures from the Internet?
3. Do the designs, services, etc. look like they fit my concept of my nation, and the things I am going to do in the RPs?
4. Are the designs in some way too advanced or too 'powerful' for the concept of my nation and how I have it? [Often also, designs that are overly too potent, especially military ones, are seen as a sign that a person is not a good roleplayer, or has not completely thought the designs thought.] Are there some errors of logic or researcb in the writeup?

A lot of times, the answer to 4 is subjective. Some people will argue most NS tank designs are unrealistic, or ride the very edge of what's acceptable for MT. Others will say they're fine. So when a person doesn't really know about a subject, they probably are going to look at how popular a storefront is already in terms of where they want to shop for things.

But this already exists, there's already a post count feature and so forth. It's not going to replace, in any way, the mental work of researching the storefronts for yourself.

As Yohannes mentioned, you can use the telegram feature to promote your storefront. (Yohannes thinks it's an unfair practice, but I think it's a pretty cool idea.) But that's not going to do you any good if the underlying storefront is not very good.

I promote my storefronts by the following methods:

1. I do a reasonable degree of research on the underlying technology.
2. I can't draw, so I locate some art online, or commission people for the art.
3. I try to have good writeups for everything.
4. I engage in a variety of efforts with IC diplomacy to promote Allanean goods, trade, and have several in-character organizations promote Allanean goods and services. OOCly, I ask people whose nations are allied to me if they are willing to import Allanean goods or import their goods to me.

This creates an IC background which makes it make sense for me to claim Allanea is a nation with lots of exports, and if a random person wants to buy on my storefront, that makes sense in that IC background.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:45 am

The Recon Empire wrote:Hi guys, I've been wondering about this problem for quite some time. As an operator of several storefronts in GE&T, I feel the forum is in a way a capitalist free market structure. I personally believe that a way to determine a storefront's worth is simply through the number of posts (and possibly views). Big companies (like Bank of Yohannes and Lyran Arms) reflect that, while small companies follow the natural trend of growth like in the real market as well.

Personally, I think posts/views are just one small portion of the whole "How good is a storefront?" calculation. There are many things I personally put into consideration (like actual quality of products and OP dedication to their storefront to name a few) when I judge a storefront, views/posts are just one factor in the overall calculation. As Yohannes said, such posts/views can be manipulated and it's not uncommon for storefront owners to advertise/ask friends to help them by making orders/posts; so when you factor in posts/views, it's best to take it with a grain of salt and due suspicion.

Back to the main topic though, my personal feelings on how big/worth a storefront is is determined by quality, OP dedication, and customer response. But the fact remains that customers make the final decision on GE&T. What I tell people all the time is that customers love to make orders/post apps on storefronts in mostly two types of situations: They want to use what they're buying IC, or they want whatever they're requesting IC to affect their country. The first reason, to use a product for example, is the most common reasoning out there for customers to buy and storefront owners to sell; arms storefronts like my Wolf Armaments for example see a lot of traffic because countries on NS love to wage war the most, and such storefronts cater to this demand by selling guns, tanks, missiles, etc.. The second reasoning is doing business that'll affect your country in some positive light; to use Wolf Armaments as an example again, countries like to open manufacturing plants to bring jobs and development to their country. Of course there are variations out there on why people post, but I've found over the last 5 years that these two reasons are the primary ones out there.

Playing off from customers, I like to think making a successful/great storefront takes two things as well: a demand and dedication. Above I've noted my examples from Wolf Armaments and I'd say the storefront is a success so far. What I think draws in customers though is the demand for the service and dedication an owner brings to the table. Wolf Armaments was made in a time when Yohannes, Lyras, and a host of other arms storefronts never left the front page. I poured in my dedication to improving my writing, learning to lineart, and hearing customer opinions to grow the business, and now I'd say it's at a good point in its development. I think a lot of what played a part in that success is the market itself. A little jump to the previous topic, the NS market has demands like I've noted above (arms for example are the largest) and sometimes it's simply difficult to find a market for other services. For example, lets take Meinhardt Brauerei for example. I poured in the same amount of effort to make that storefront a success that I did with Wolf Armaments; I researched boat loads of information, I consulted with experts along the way, and I even expanded my art style to fit the new storefront. I can tell you that I honestly think Meinhardt Brauerei is great storefront that just lacks products and customers. Now if you go and look you'll see there aren't as many posts as Wolf Armaments and you'll probably ask "why if it's so good?" I believe it's, yet again, two reasons: low demand and lack of dedication. I've already stated these things above, but lets review them in this example. Breweries and their products are simply low demand - people don't find uses for hard liquor or beer and although breweries provide fine development (at least in my model does), not enough people simply understand or care to understand their worth. When it comes to basic understanding I think everyone understands what's made and how expensive they are, but they don't in the majority of cases understand the worth of them from an OOC perspective to their IC nation. Lets put it in another way. Do you think a country that's known for building arms is more rich/powerful or one that makes/sells alcoholic beverages? Be honest, most people who answer that question would pick the arms manufacturing because it's simply cooler, has more popularity on NS, and OOC economically it's wiser a choice since the market for it is over the roof. My point here is that although you may have a great storefront, it may not be doing well simply because it's in a market with little demand. But dedication can change that. In Meinhardt Brauerei's case I admit to having less dedication because out of all my active ideas, it's probably at the bottom of the list I find the most interesting; I have a lot of stuff on my plate these days, so it's simply impossible to maintain or support all my storefronts more than just keeping them alive unless I focus in on one area. I don't want it to die but I can't see myself pouring in hours of work to make new beverages when people have made it clear they're not interested in importing them; the vast majority clearly find more interest in the development properties of the storefront. Commoner League, however, was my first storefront and just like Meinhardt Brauerei had little to no market demand. CLI was born when PMC and Mercenary storefronts simply died out mostly and everyone didn't find a use for them. I kept dedicated to the storefront, especially when it came to advertising and getting orders, and CLI eventually became popular enough for people to order on their own. That's an example of an owner showing dedication even through hard times.

But back to the main topic, I kinda agree with Yohannes in saying that post counts don't determine if a storefront is big or not. If they have a big post count and it's not a fraud, it just means they are successful owners/storefronts. Down to brass tax, everyone starts somewhere. All the storefronts you listed were new and didn't get their post count within days; it took years of being open and growing to achieve such a written history. Not to mention when mentioning said people, you have to understand some are just popular by name on NS - Yohannes and Lyras are two such people who're probably recognized by many. So it's safe to say their storefronts and other activity on NS developed that level of fame. I think that's just another factor in the overall calculation, but I think it's also a result of the hard work/effort both have put in over the years.

Machina Haruspex
Minister

Founded: Jan 13, 2005

Postby Machina Haruspex » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:29 pm

I concur with all of the points above. HIA has a history of just selling to about anyone really, but recently, most of my sales have been to develop the region I am within, as well as world build storylines and what not. I think posts as mentioned above in a storefront is just a small portion of the GE&T community. Ultimately it's just what people want to sell, although I think a lot of stores die off either from inactivity which is always a thing, to some sort of perceived pressure of having to compete or something with some of the older stores. That's a trend that I'd like to see stop, but it wont.

Anyways.
Ranked 100th in the world for Economic Output
Ranked 115th in the world for Safety
Marshite Military Assessment: VI

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

Postby Yohannes » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:25 pm

I personally agreed with the opinions of everyone who have posted so far

Final edit: correction to the dates below, they are Christmas of 2014 (not 2015). I have just rechecked :p (and really sorry for the wall of text... I know it's annoying ugh...)

To Allanea, just to clarify, I didn't think that mass telegramming is unfair. I did it myself in the past for three months in 2014 (I think it was, before I had my big absence due to real life, again). It was very effective (yes... it was). I still have the record of statistics on my laptop, and it showed that VMK got around 8 to 10 posts on one day after I did that. It was insane, like post after post from people with World Assembly badge (meaning they are not alternate accounts, since no two accounts of the same recorded IP/player/whatever can both have WA membership).

However, I did say mass telegramming people (as what I did) is lame. It's a lame way of playing NationStates, as it defeats the original purpose of making a storefront, which is to roleplay a fictional business in your nation (aka storytell about it, and not focused instead on social engineering to get the most posts)

For the month that I did that (mass telegramming), I recorded that VMK got around three times as many posts as Pharthan's Halcyon Arms and Common Territories' Wolf Armaments combined; where both are without a doubt the most popular arms storefronts back then, and are without a doubt the most popular arms storefronts now and to the near future)

and we have to note that at that time (just before me mass telegramming for a very brief period), VMK was for all intent and purpose, dead. I was inactive. But suddenly I got 10s of posts per day. And I became active again, until Christmas ended. I was surprised people that watched didn't think something was a bit suspicious.. haha... that coincided around the time that I designed the Dreadnought strategic stealth bomber too (so yeah, must be around Christmas 2014)

So yeah, mass telegramming can be deadly effective if we use the right words (and provided we know psychology of/how to treat NS players)

But... it was so effective that I became bored. Yes, I became really bored and... it killed my motivation. I found that if we can do stuff like that... what's the point of roleplaying anymore? It kinda killed it for me... in a way. I don't know whether it was the boredom of seeing how you can get around 10 posts per day (I remember the least I got was 4 posts per day, for that week. For the week, there was around 50 posts I think going to VMK thread, around 2 times as much as Halcyon Arms. And I had no doubt that I could keep it up if I had the motivation or real life time to continue mass telegramming (which, again, I don't... it kinda killed my motivation, so it was a double-edged sword... aha...)

[another edit: if any storefront owners wants to know the words I used, or the tactic I used (in interacting) with the strangers I telegrammed to get them to eventually post in your storefronts, feel free to telegram me ]

To Common Territories, I have to politely disagree with the Yohannes and Lyras are well known bit. I personally believe that, today, in 2017, very few people would even know who or what Yohannes is. I don't know about Lyras, but I doubt people from the generations (of account creation) after 2014 even know or care about the name Yohannes, RP wise.. aha. To me personally, the tide has shifted to the new generations of established roleplayers, such as you yourself, Common Territories, New Aeyariss, Pharthan, Ghant, etc. And that is for the good

I feel that as people like me are now largely gone from the game (due to real life, or for other reasons which are fine, as we don't have to commit to this fantasy game anyway), it wouldn't be fair, or logical, for us to still have the same (OOC or IC) weight as we did years back (2010, 2012, whatever... aha)

The game is moving forward, and you are the new Lyras of 2010 (remember when everyone talked about him in a 'don't mess with that black flag guy' kind of thing?), or Yohannes of 2012 (Commonwealth and empire with NS players as dominions, lol) or Maxtopia (with the bald guy president who could always nuke banned my account...), or whatever

Maybe in the future, you will be the new us of today (aka, inactive ex-powers long past their expiry date). Though I won't speak on behalf of Lyras, as I believe that would be extremely rude and unfair, I have no doubt that I myself are long past my expiry date by now... aha

and then... the new generation of players will not even know or care about you, just as they didn't care about us today. It's a cycle that has been repeated since the beginning of NationStates, and will be repeated again, and again.

Unless, of course, you can maintain hours per day still for NationStates (or still have the same motivation or enjoyment of playing the game as you did at first). Or unless, if you are a II Roleplay Mentor, or whatever they are called now (NS&II Mentor, I think? Maybe I am wrong). Because if you are a Mentor (or a Moderator, or Issues Editor, or whatever), no matter how inactive you are in the game, people will still know you (c'mon, let's not beat around the bush here, people treat normal users and those with highlighted bolded forum usernames, differently. They will act better or respect you more, or try to gain favours in your face, if you are a Moderator/Mentor/whatever. Which is, of course, distasteful and just plain wrong, but it's just a part of being human aha)

Which is why, the people who will have the weight to propel the Global Economics & Trade forum forward are the active people with good presence (across NationStates, International Incidents, and GE&T), like you, through your NS and II diplomacy and Wolf Armaments in GE&T, or Pharthan through his Halcyon Arms (let's be honest, people are telegramming others recommending his storefront all the time; his name carries weight, and your name too, Common Territories, the same way that Lyras, or I myself, once did)

Edit: actually, after some more recollection (and I can check the VMK thread, and provide posts and date, for proof of my statement above), VMK actually got three times as many posts (from different people, majority with WA membership badge back then, aka not alternate accounts) as Halcyon Arms and Wolf Armaments (who were both the most active and well known already by then), and five times as many posts as Lyran Arms (which was already very inactive, just like VMK, before I started going active for a brief moment and started mass telegramming at gameplay Pacific regions and other big gameplay regions). So yeah, mass telegramming can be deadly effective, if you use the right words and strategy of dealing with strangers (through telegrams). But... again, as I have said, that was the dealbreaker for me. I have never really taken roleplaying seriously again ever since then... it really killed my motivation (not that I have free time IRL anyway, and also by around that time, I already didn't have much motivation left), like... real bad...
Last edited by Yohannes on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Can anyone tell me on how to create an airline or airport thread. It seems difficult to me, especially with all the codings, considering seeing all codes (not just NS codes) give me headache on it's complexity
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:38 am

The Federation of Kendor wrote:Can anyone tell me on how to create an airline or airport thread. It seems difficult to me, especially with all the codings, considering seeing all codes (not just NS codes) give me headache on it's complexity

There's a guide to airliner/airport storefronts and a guide to BBcode somewhere on this thread. That should answer most of your questions.

Krenorus
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Krenorus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:22 am

How do I buy stuff and where do I get the money to do it. Also how does wire transaction work
This is 4000+ words long... so I'll just put the link to it here...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/103_ ... sp=sharing

Diplomatic Server:

https://discord.gg/D8twyGs

Krenorussian Broadcasting Corporation (INTERNATIONAL): NO CURRENT NEWS

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:50 am

Krenorus wrote:How do I buy stuff and where do I get the money to do it. Also how does wire transaction work

It's all role played so you just say you want to buy something, the money is assumed to come put of your givernment/company/whatever's budget/funds and you just say that the money has been wired.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 pm

Players that Use Photobucket!

If any of you are having difficulty displaying your images from Photobucket, you are not the only one. Assuming you are now in the market for a new image host, there are many that are available, but please do NOT use TinyPic. TinyPic recycles its URLs after a time, so your image of a boat, character, flag, etc. may eventually be recycled, turning the image displayed into something obscene. If that happens, you are responsible for what is posted, meaning you can get hit with the Ominous Redtext™ if the image is obscene, gore, pornographic, etc. I would personally recommend using a host such as Imgur.

Thanks for your time!
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Shwe Tu Colony
Senator

Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:56 pm

According to "The Unofficial Guide to Creating a Storefront", it gives the guideline to not "Sell Real Life Products: In NationStates, it is a widely accepted rule that any nation can make anything that exists in real life. That means that serious players will not take people seriously if you sell things like AK-47's, or Porsche Boxsters. This applies to any product, and it also applies if you just change the name." Would this mean that a storefront with products of, for example, "hemp," "drink package," or "wine" as some of their products' names, would probably not be a good idea? In general, would this also mean that a storefront selling raw materials probably won't go so well either?
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine/WoMac, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a young man.
Current status: university rules are just a suggestion
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:59 pm

Shwe Tu Colony wrote:According to "The Unofficial Guide to Creating a Storefront", it gives the guideline to not "Sell Real Life Products: In NationStates, it is a widely accepted rule that any nation can make anything that exists in real life. That means that serious players will not take people seriously if you sell things like AK-47's, or Porsche Boxsters. This applies to any product, and it also applies if you just change the name." Would this mean that a storefront with products of, for example, "hemp," "drink package," or "wine" as some of their products' names, would probably not be a good idea? In general, would this also mean that a storefront selling raw materials probably won't go so well either?

Well that guideline means it's basically not wise to sell easily made products; if we use your questioned terms, it would mean to not sell a specific brand of wine or specific hemp product in RL that makes it not unique. I own a storefront that sells booze (wine included) but the products sold, though based on real beverages, are all hand crafted by myself into new products. So what you want to do is make products that are unique, not just avoid a product type because it may not be totally unique. As for the raw material storefront, generally I see them do fine so long as they're nicely designed.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:44 pm

Technically speaking, I could make my own fertiliser. I don't want to go into the details, but on a fairly regular basis I could top up my plants' fertiliser; probably daily. Alternatively, I could buy a sack of actual fertiliser from a garden centre. Their product is probably better quality (though I don't intend on comparing the two) and comes in larger quantities. The point of this regrettable analogy is that you outsource to people who do things better. Sure, I can say that Maltropian soil is literally made of titanium and therefore the king can have an armoured mecha-battle suit for twenty bucks, but if you're interested in realism you impose limits on yourself.

Most countries, in reality, don't have the natural resources to sustain what we consider 'modern society.' They rely on foreign trade. Some countries will produce better and/or cheaper wine than others, and they'll capitalise on that. Play to your strengths, whatever you decide you want them to be.

Bear in mind, also, that plenty of products you'd consider generic can be extremely successful with branding. Rice is just rice, but Uncle Ben's is the rice brand. Anyone can make pasta and pasta sauce, but Italian supermarkets have whole aisles devoted to Barilla. If you can build a recognisable brand (in-character or out-of-character) you'll do better, so naming your hemp "hemp" isn't likely to make your company a name (though there's an XKCD about that).

At the end of the day, it depends on your storefront. Even if you are just selling "drink package," if you make your storefront well it should do well. Don't be afraid to try something different.
Last edited by Maltropia on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Catlander
Envoy

Founded: Jul 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

help

Postby Catlander » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Please somebody could answer me (clearly) 2 questions please?

1) I can to send 'money' to other nations/players (paying it for any product i buy)?
2) how NationStates refects after in my nation a product purchased and the payment done?

Thanks in advance

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Catlander wrote:Please somebody could answer me (clearly) 2 questions please?

1) I can to send 'money' to other nations/players (paying it for any product i buy)?
2) how NationStates refects after in my nation a product purchased and the payment done?

Thanks in advance

Nothing on this forum affects the gameplay side of your nation.

There is no means to send money to another player. When you "buy" something you are simply role-playing the transaction. In theory you could claim to have unlimited funds and buy anything you want but in practice no other player will accept that so instead you would be expected to buy what would be reasonable for your nation (or company or whatever made up entity/agency you are role-playing as).
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Catlander
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catlander » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Catlander wrote:Please somebody could answer me (clearly) 2 questions please?

Thanks in advance

Nothing on this forum affects the gameplay side of your nation.

There is no means to send money to another player. When you "buy" something you are simply role-playing the transaction. In theory you could claim to have unlimited funds and buy anything you want but in practice no other player will accept that so instead you would be expected to buy what would be reasonable for your nation (or company or whatever made up entity/agency you are role-playing as).

I'm still lost.... If all this 'role-playing' is really unable for a national economy on NationStates... why there are people doing it. It seems stupid :blink:

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Catlander wrote:
Crookfur wrote:Nothing on this forum affects the gameplay side of your nation.

I'm still lost.... If all this 'role-playing' is really unable for a national economy on NationStates... why there are people doing it. It seems stupid :blink:

People have hobbies, one of them is roleplaying nations and their daily operation. Some people don't care about account stats and we're not here to make RL money playing a game. There are plenty of other activities here on NS to partake in too if you're interested in them. But to label RPing as being stupid is just rude and insulting to all of us - especially since you're doing so while asking questions in an RP forum.

Catlander
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catlander » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:01 am

Common Territories wrote:
Catlander wrote:

People have hobbies, one of them is roleplaying nations and their daily operation. Some people don't care about account stats and we're not here to make RL money playing a game. There are plenty of other activities here on NS to partake in too if you're interested in them. But to label RPing as being stupid is just rude and insulting to all of us - especially since you're doing so while asking questions in an RP forum.

I said 'it seems stupid' NOT 'they are...'. I talk about that role playing practise. I don't claim to insult anyone.

Besides this: i'm a bit dissapointed NationStates still have not an economic module (or better... a GE&T module) into the game. Really I would like to joint with you having national bussiness, I hope.

Thanks for clarify this question.
Last edited by Catlander on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade