NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 pm

I like it.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Anemos Major

Postby Yohannes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Sadly (and I dislike this... but this is the fact), pretty pictures are the way to attract the new players at the moment Anemos, though this may change in the near future (or may not... we will never know after all)

that said, you should not listen to my opinion of your storefront. You know I am biased anyway so... let's wait for others to say their possible suggestion or comment :p
Last edited by Yohannes on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Holy Marsh wrote:I like it.

Thanks, Marsh. Very much WiP, though.

Yohannes wrote:Sadly (and I dislike this... but this is the fact), pretty pictures are the way to attract the new players at the moment Anemos, though this may change in the near future (or may not... we will never know after all)

that said, you should not listen to my opinion of your storefront. You know I am biased anyway so... let's wait for others to say their possible suggestion or comment :p

I have to admit, I like pretty pictures. I even have a folder of 'images that could be used for Anemos' somewhere that needs to be organised.

But I do also feel as though there's more to a storefront, and suggestions in that regard are what I'm looking for!

Just to survive the page jump: I'd be happy to receive some feedback on my partially reformatted storefront. For now, I've introduced a more minimalistic layout and design, changing the OP and the small arms section, and introduced a new 'land systems catalogue' for easier access.

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Images are helpful aides. Of course I am known to just get ay old image image off the web for my designs since I just need someone to get the general idea, but any actual user-made image helps out incredibly.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Holy Marsh wrote:Images are helpful aides. Of course I am known to just get ay old image image off the web for my designs since I just need someone to get the general idea, but any actual user-made image helps out incredibly.

After all the time I've lavished on lineart, I'm somewhat inclined to agree.

I'm considering expanding the 'land catalogue' (accessible by clicking the 'Land' tab in the OP - intuitive, right?) by adding small images of the individual weapons under the tabs you click to access them. Yea or nay?

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Anemos

Postby Yohannes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:50 pm

How will you format that together though? wouldn't it be too crowded? or will you alter the present formatting a bit to accommodate for the extra small images?
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Yohannes wrote:How will you format that together though? wouldn't it be too crowded? or will you alter the present formatting a bit to accommodate for the extra small images?

Million-dollar question. Will play around with the formatting, right now I'm considering using images that're twice the height of the tabs to make the whole thing look uniform. Whatever the case, the images don't need to show the whole thing, just a part of it - say, the turret of a tank. Will see how it goes.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Anemos

Postby Yohannes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Yeah, that was what I was thinking as well (how will you avoid the too crowded feel)

I am also a bit curious Ane, is it possible that some people (especially the non-regular GE&T or the new ones) don't know that they can actually click the tab to instantly access the design or page? I know this sounds like a silly question (after all... I doubt anyone is silly enough not to know that they are meant to see the designs by clicking on the tab), but maybe something like a (click on the tab to access the page/design) sign will be needed?

I got a telegram from someone once that they couldn't find the list of accounts (from my bank storefront), and I had to tell them that they can click on the image displayed to reach the list of accounts post

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Yohannes wrote:Yeah, that was what I was thinking as well (how will you avoid the too crowded feel)

I am also a bit curious Ane, is it possible that some people (especially the non-regular GE&T or the new ones) don't know that they can actually click the tab to instantly access the design or page? I know this sounds like a silly question (after all... I doubt anyone is silly enough not to know that they are meant to see the designs by clicking on the tab), but maybe something like a (click on the tab to access the page/design) sign will be needed?

I got a telegram from someone once that they couldn't find the list of accounts (from my bank storefront), and I had to tell them that they can click on the image displayed to reach the list of accounts post

Might put in a small warning, thanks. Nothing prominent, because that'd clutter the visuals, and as a non-commercially minded GE&Ter I'm more concerned by that than sales figures.

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Yohannes wrote:Yeah, that was what I was thinking as well (how will you avoid the too crowded feel)

I believe if the image is designed to be an obviously clickable tab, it may reduce any possible confusion, especially since the cursor changes upon mouseover any link. I don't know how your storefront's clickable image looked though, so I'm not referring to you when I say that I'd imagine that most people should be able to discern a well designed image link.
Last edited by Virana on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Virana wrote:I believe if the image is designed to be an obviously clickable tab, it may reduce any possible confusion, especially since the cursor changes upon mouseover any link. I don't know how your storefront's clickable image looked though, so I'm not referring to you when I say that I'd imagine that most people should be able to discern a well designed image link.

I'm actually putting quite a lot of credence in this - if anybody has any experience that indicates otherwise, I'd be glad to hear it. :P

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Ane & Vir

Postby Yohannes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Oh, don't worry @Ane @Vir, I agree with both of you that ASAEA's tab should be an obvious one to click, but we may never know after all (I certainly once thought things like these are obvious things to know about, until the player TG'd me and yeah...)

and this was my image used: (link not included here though)

Cestyr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cestyr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:29 am

Generally, what are people's thoughts on storefronts that are made entirely or mostly of pictures rather than formatted text? I'm putting together my second storefront and, like my first, I'm planning to rely heavily on images and hotlinks to the extent that I don't think I'll have any text at all. However, my first storefront didn't go so well, disappointing because I put a lot of effort into it, but I could never figure out whether this was because of my style of formatting or, as others suggested, because people weren't typically interested in the style of thing I was selling.

Unlike last time, I'm using a far more cleaner style. Instead of text overlaying outlines of images, I've gone for a red and white on black look in the hope that it will be far easier to read, a common complaint I had last time was that the text in my images was unreadable.
CA F1 - In progress!
Mirage - Started!
CMBT - In queue
Missile - Cancelled!

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:04 pm

It is all supposed to be for fun, is it not? Some might prefer nice visuals while others are more interested in detailed write ups and background information.

I don't like long texts myself unless it is exceptionally well written and interesting. But to each his own. :)

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Cestyr & Stahn

Postby Yohannes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:28 pm

We are supposed to write together and storytell with one another and communicate by writing something, and not just post pictures or images to show to one another about our in-character things. Please, someone correct me if they believe that I am wrong, but I feel pictures or images are meant to aid or supplement roleplaying

it is not, however, meant to replace that very act of roleplaying itself.

But you are right about the 'fun' part. Ultimately there is no right or wrong way I guess of doing things. If what you want is to use many oversized images instead of writing what you want to tell to others about your nation (but then would that not be storytelling in the first place?) then all the power to you. There is no right or way of RPing. This is also me realising that you can create beautiful images with the text itself contained there (I think Virana did that with his storefront reply to customers once though I am not sure)

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Oh, I didn't mean that the visuals could replace writing. They can only compliment it. This type of role playing is obviously more about text than it is about images.

Vermark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vermark » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm new to Nationstates, and I've noticed that the vast majority of "storefronts" are military-related. Why is this? Are non-military storefronts unpopular and thus, unsuccessful? Additionally, is there a specific demand for a certain kind of storefront that I could start as a new roleplayer? Or should I be focused on other things (such as making good purchase RPs) as a new player in order to gain experience before becoming a storefront owner?

Thank you!
The Social Republic of Vermark
Capital: Videnhagen | Trigamme: VER | Demonym: Varish/Vare
Leadership: P.M. Markus Leonardsson (Hanseatic Party) | Population: 23,600,000

[About Me: Canadian | Progressive Conservative | Long-Distance Runner]
[National Info: Official Factbook | Videnhagen Press Group | sportmark.vk]
[Storefronts: Hansa Corporation | University of Videnhagen]
"It is not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~Theodore Roosevelt

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Stahn & Vermark

Postby Yohannes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Stahn wrote:Oh, I didn't mean that the visuals could replace writing. They can only compliment it. This type of role playing is obviously more about text than it is about images.

Yeah :p

Vermark wrote:I'm new to Nationstates, and I've noticed that the vast majority of "storefronts" are military-related. Why is this? Are non-military storefronts unpopular and thus, unsuccessful? Additionally, is there a specific demand for a certain kind of storefront that I could start as a new roleplayer? Or should I be focused on other things (such as making good purchase RPs) as a new player in order to gain experience before becoming a storefront owner?

Thank you!

There are many successful and good non-military storefronts out there, but you don't see them on the first page often because:

1. They are mostly irrelevant to the NationStates and International Incidents forums, and both the aforementioned forums are where the majority of Global Economics & Trade buyers/customers/clients are coming from. They don't bother with non-military storefronts because non-military storefronts - especially non-strategic ones - are more or less irrelevant or won't affect their RPing in the NS and/or II forums.

2. This forum (GE&T) is full of storefront owners and sellers, and very few buyers/clients. And few non-military storefront owners in this forum are willing to expand their storefront-related roleplaying to the NS and/or II forums.

3. There is an exception to 1.) above regarding the irrelevance bit. You can get around that situation if you are willing to expand your storefront-related roleplaying beyond the GE&T forum. The key is not to restrict yourself to GE&T. From my own experience of learning and playing in this wonderful fantasy multiverse, since 2010, I have always roleplayed my bank contacting people at NS and/or II forums, with one of the earliest contact I did was with an alliance called 'Sovereign Empires Coalition' or something similar to that ran by Bladia or Blademaster765 (I think that is the exact account name). From there alone I eventually interacted both OOC and IC with a group of roleplayers/writers from Judea (a good roleplaying region back then, and predecessor to the present region of Ellorea). From Judea and Sovereign Empires Coalition I got to know The Conglomerates (a good organisation/institution/not really an alliance but an alliance kind of thing ran by Jenrak, Amazonian Beast, New Azura and co.)

That was also how I connected my VMK (not just the Bank of Yohannes) canon as well. And from there, everything went smooth. That was just but one example how I expanded the Bank of Yohannes beyond just bumping my storefronts in GE&T. Staying in GE&T will not bring you anywhere, especially if you run a non-military storefront

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Vermark

Postby Yohannes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Vermark wrote:Additionally, is there a specific demand for a certain kind of storefront that I could start as a new roleplayer? Or should I be focused on other things (such as making good purchase RPs) as a new player in order to gain experience before becoming a storefront owner?

Thank you!

Sorry bro for some reason I have missed this one :p

I can tell you here: there is always a demand for even the most irrelevant type of non-military business/storefront. But the key, as I have said above, is for you to not restrict yourself to this forum (GE&T). Restricting yourself to GE&T is asking for no one to even know about you, for in GE&T you will find very few participants that want to roleplay with you

Create an amazing and beautiful national factbook of your nation, open an embassy/consulate thread, experience the joy of fluffy friends roleplaying by joining random open threads in the NationStates (NS) and International Incidents (II) forums

Make new friends, grow your contacts, chat with the new people you meet through telegrams and get to know them, join NS or II organisations or alliances that you like, make new enemies (both IC and probably OOC inevitably... they tend to be your friends at the end if you are a sensible and pragmatic person), and watch as one by one your contact grow in this wonderful fantasy multi verse. Join OOC discussion threads in Factbook & National Information about various things, tell people about your nation

Explore the wonderful forums of NationStates Roleplaying World. Do not restrict yourself to one group of players or one group of people, and get to know as many people as you can (don't plan it, do it as you go along) from your generation of writers/roleplayers

Along the way, you can find what kind of storefront you will enjoy roleplaying/pretending to run the most
Last edited by Yohannes on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

Postby Yohannes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 pm

I will hide the name of the player who have telegrammed me this because of privacy and of course.. decency :p

This is very important.

Thank you for your [redacted]. They were very helpful. I understand that you aren't an II mentor but I thought you could offer me some invaluable advice on multiple fronts because you are bviously a great, experience roleplayer.

I want to tell our fellow GE&T writers (the ones that are not familiar yet with this forum) of this community that:

1.) Just because someone is a II Roleplay Mentor, doesn't mean that he/she is always right.

2.) You do not have to be a II Roleplay Mentor to help other people. SO long as you think you know something, you can always put forward your opinion of something

3.) There is no difference between whether an opinion is being voiced by a II Roleplay Mentor or a regular user. There are many regular roleplayers who have more skills than II Roleplay Mentors. II Roleplay Mentors are not chosen because they are 'the best'. They are not the best.
Last edited by Yohannes on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Yohannes wrote:II Roleplay Mentors are not chosen because they are 'the best'. They are not the best.

Oi. I dispute that. :p

No, seriously though: Mentors are chosen based on a combination of factors, of which roleplaying ability (be it II roleplay, P2TM, GE&T) is a very major one. Equally important (depending on who you ask) is the ability to give advice to people and to be helpful for the roleplaying community. A Mentor doesn't necessarily have to be the best in either of those areas, but a level of skill in each is certainly expected. A good, solid RPer who likes to help is much more likely to be accepted than either a fantastic writer who hates everyone or a cookie-baker-for-disabled-cats who doesn't actually know how to type. So, being a good writer matters, but so does being a good person and a good helper, ready to help out confused or questioning people.

Now, that doesn't necessarily translate to visibility - there are some fantastic Mentors who are very inactive on the forums but are fantastic at dispensing advice by TG, over IRC, et cetera. For myself, I used to be a bit more high-profile than I currently am (I blame college), but I always remain open to helping people with their storefronts and providing general pointers, both for GE&T and for roleplay on the Diplomacy boards. (Also, let me just take this chance to sincerely apologise for my inactivity on this and other threads; it's the end of a semester for me so I have a load of due assignments and exams coming up over the next while. I always urge people to put real life priorities ahead of NS, and I'm taking my own advice for the time being. I still love you guys.)

As to what Yoh said about there being no difference between regular RPers' opinions and those of the green jackets, well, that's more or less it. There are some specific RPers who I would never recommend asking for any kind of advice but, in general, the only difference is that we're official, public role models. There are plenty of people who are fantastic roleplayers and fantastic community members who are not Mentors and may never be Mentors but that does not in any way diminish their value to NS and their 'authority' to give advice. No one is infallible, and the Mentors make no pretension of being so. All we claim is to be people who are available to help, not to be the only people who can help. If you think you know what you're talking about and you have good advice, share it. And just because the advice doesn't seem to be coming down from the Almighty Green Jackets doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to it. If someone's taken their time to answer your questions in a constructive and polite manner, it's almost certainly worth listening to, no matter who they are.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Maltropia

Postby Yohannes » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Yeah sorry Malt, I meant 'II RP Mentors' are not the be all end all. The opinion of someone should be looked at based on not whether that person has a green jacket or not, but whether what he or she said is true or not, or at least close to the truth

other than that, the way I worded that sentence was a bit off. Once again, sorry for that :p

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Yohannes wrote:Yeah sorry Malt, I meant 'II RP Mentors' are not the be all end all. The opinion of someone should be looked at based on not whether that person has a green jacket or not, but whether what he or she said is true or not, or at least close to the truth

other than that, the way I worded that sentence was a bit off. Once again, sorry for that :p

No, no, I was kidding anyway. Don't worry about it. ;)
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Cestyr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cestyr » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Yohannes wrote:We are supposed to write together and storytell with one another and communicate by writing something, and not just post pictures or images to show to one another about our in-character things. Please, someone correct me if they believe that I am wrong, but I feel pictures or images are meant to aid or supplement roleplaying

it is not, however, meant to replace that very act of roleplaying itself.

But you are right about the 'fun' part. Ultimately there is no right or wrong way I guess of doing things. If what you want is to use many oversized images instead of writing what you want to tell to others about your nation (but then would that not be storytelling in the first place?) then all the power to you. There is no right or way of RPing. This is also me realising that you can create beautiful images with the text itself contained there (I think Virana did that with his storefront reply to customers once though I am not sure)

When I say replace text with images, I mean creating images containing written information, diagrams, pictures etc. rather than using text with the simple post formatting options. I feel that creating my entire storefront in an image editor and then transferring that to NS in the form of images allows considerably more freedom to alter the visual appeal of my thread and create something a little more unique.
CA F1 - In progress!
Mirage - Started!
CMBT - In queue
Missile - Cancelled!

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Cestyr

Postby Yohannes » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:05 pm

Ahh.. yeah

there's nothing wrong with that then tbh. I think Eslovakia was one of the first player to mass implement that with an in-depth way at the same time: Karlberg Industries AB and Transportation. And if you look at his formatting, they are gorgeous (the visual arrangement of the products too)

I was initially quite worried there that what you meant was entirely huge pictures to show A or B, with no sentences to explain what each picture represents... or only one or two sentences per picture. Though, then again, if that is the way a player want to format his or her storefront to be, then all the power to that player. It is well known fact that the cute fluffies are almost always - when they are bothered enough to check non-military storefronts - attracted to shiny, big pictures

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade