NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Globus
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Globus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:42 pm

How do people make logos with a transparent background? I've tried gimp but it won't upload on ImageShack.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:30 am

Globus wrote:How do people make logos with a transparent background? I've tried gimp but it won't upload on ImageShack.

When you save an image on GIMP, you have to Export it (Ctrl + E). If you just save it it will create a .xcf file which has editable layers. When you export it, put .png at the end of the file name.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Alebcay
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alebcay » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Globus wrote:How do people make logos with a transparent background? I've tried gimp but it won't upload on ImageShack.

Following Tippercommon's solution above for GIMP should work pretty well. I wrote up a dispatch on making transparent logos with the LunaPic online free photo editor that should work with any PNG file right here (also available in my signature). It's great for when you're on the go but still need to do photo processing and logo design for your storefront.

The Manila
Secretary

Founded: Jun 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Manila » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:33 pm

How do I make logos in an iPad Mini 1
Last edited by The Manila on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ꮹ Ꭰ Ꭱ Ꭲ Ꮎ Ꮜ Ꮤ Ꭶ Ꮖ

Globus
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Globus » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for the help on transparent logos. :hug:

ViZion
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby ViZion » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Indo-pasif archipelago wrote:Anyone want to have join venture with me? I have ideas but Its too hard for me to do it alone.

What in particular are you looking to do? I've only got limited time, but I may be able to assist.
The Constitutional Federal Republic of ViZion

[ Angola | Zambia | Tanzania | Antarctica | ViZion Island | Northern South America | Central America | Astyria | Coulter Bay | 18,546,524.5 sq mi ]
(Founded June 14, 2003)
Astyria | Astyria GE&T Directory | The Astyrian Network

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

Postby Yohannes » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:40 pm

I would like to ask for advice, opinions or suggestions from individuals here. I've been trying to emphasise the 'Logistics'/shipping providers part of the recently reopened Royal Beaufort [ link here ], but it seems that people continually order military vessels only (very few businesses for the commercial ships and logistics/shipping services).

I have figured with the commercial ships its because people don't realise or are not interested in economic-related things, but with Shipping/logistics, it seems that I have not made that part of the storefront so far visible/stand out to potential clients. Is there a way that I can make it stand out, but at the same time not overwhelming the shipbuilding side of the storefront?

I am thinking of adding more to the OP (in regard to the container/logistics/shipping part) but I think doing so will drown out the shipbuilding part of the OP. Sorry if I sound a bit confusing, also, English is my second language. :p
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

ViZion
Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby ViZion » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Yohannes wrote:I would like to ask for advice, opinions or suggestions from individuals here. I've been trying to emphasise the 'Logistics'/shipping providers part of the recently reopened Royal Beaufort [ link here ], but it seems that people continually order military vessels only (very few businesses for the commercial ships and logistics/shipping services).

I have figured with the commercial ships its because people don't realise or are not interested in economic-related things, but with Shipping/logistics, it seems that I have not made that part of the storefront so far visible/stand out to potential clients. Is there a way that I can make it stand out, but at the same time not overwhelming the shipbuilding side of the storefront?

I am thinking of adding more to the OP (in regard to the container/logistics/shipping part) but I think doing so will drown out the shipbuilding part of the OP. Sorry if I sound a bit confusing, also, English is my second language. :p

Yohan, I've found that any time you have civilian and military in the same storefront, it's the kiss of death for the civilian products. Your best bet would be to separate the two I to their own storefronts. A pain, possibly. However it's what really needs to be done for the success of your civilian ships.

Also note that that's still a fairly niche industry and Malt is pretty well entrenched so unless the industry sales expands (certainly possible) it may be hard for you to gain strong sales traction immediately.
The Constitutional Federal Republic of ViZion

[ Angola | Zambia | Tanzania | Antarctica | ViZion Island | Northern South America | Central America | Astyria | Coulter Bay | 18,546,524.5 sq mi ]
(Founded June 14, 2003)
Astyria | Astyria GE&T Directory | The Astyrian Network

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Mhmm interesting. Thanks for the opinion ViZion! I am sure that I'll be able to breakthrough this niche industry (the shipping or commercial vessels?)

Its just a matter of when ;)
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Radiomatics Moorburgh
Envoy

Founded: Jan 17, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Radiomatics Moorburgh » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:06 am

Hi
my Estenford Airport, please comment, thanx

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:16 am

Less oversized images, more information about your storefront. More information, and more information, less images. There was a time back when images meant nothing at all, if you can't explain what your storefront is. Also, transparency for your logo so there is no white background to it. < That one was wrong, you in fact have transparent background haha
Last edited by Yohannes on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:22 am

Radiomatics Moorburgh wrote:Hi
my Estenford Airport, please comment, thanx

Way too many pictures, way too little text.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Tolmakia

Postby Yohannes » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:38 am

Edit: Ahh I see you have removed your post, nevermind then

Hey there Tolmakia

• I will assume you intentionally aligned your introductory company image to the left, so I'll not comment on that

• More sentences and probably one more paragraph giving us more of an introduction feeling to your company, for your introduction, after the 'Founded in 1981, Good Blimp Inc. makes an...'

• More details about your 'Aircraft' designs and section, at the moment not enough details or summarised explanation.

• More details about your 'Drones' designs and section, at the moment not enough details or summarised explanation.

• Same as for your 'Satellites' designs and section.

• Give me a reason why I should fill that application? Why should I choose your company: why should I be your client/customer? What is it about your company that stands out from its competitors (of the same sector/field?).

Try to convince me, without going too far toward, or resorting to the usual 'we are the best'/'we are one of the best'/'we are world champion'/'we make the best'/'we make one of the best', etc. If you are going to do it by doing what I have just mentioned, however, its alright haha, just make sure you provide very good details and explanation of why is that so.
Last edited by Yohannes on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:58 am

Here, I think the pricing part of the post looks quite boring and dull. Suggestions on how to improve it?

Also, is the pricing scheme too complicated?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Machina Haruspex
Minister

Founded: Jan 13, 2005

Postby Machina Haruspex » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:54 am

Ainin wrote:Here, I think the pricing part of the post looks quite boring and dull. Suggestions on how to improve it?

Looks alright to me.
Ranked 100th in the world for Economic Output
Ranked 115th in the world for Safety
Marshite Military Assessment: VI

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Machina Haruspex wrote:
Ainin wrote:Here, I think the pricing part of the post looks quite boring and dull. Suggestions on how to improve it?

Looks alright to me.

What about the general design of the post?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Cestyr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cestyr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Ainin wrote:
Machina Haruspex wrote:
Looks alright to me.

What about the general design of the post?

As a suggestion, how about creating some sort of color-coded table in an image creator and then uploading it as an image in place?
CA F1 - In progress!
Mirage - Started!
CMBT - In queue
Missile - Cancelled!

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Your work-in-progress/WIP storefront is better in quality and creativity than most storefronts out there, who most usually (and understandably) rip images straight off the internet without editing or resizing the images. Well done Ainin! Still can be expanded to be even better, but credit's due where it is meant to be given!

You even put short summary of your products (made so far)! That is a lot better than most electronics storefronts I've seen so far (with the exception of Jenrak's one.. that one was formatted and contained edited images just as good as you are)

Edit: Can't wait to have your company opening branches in my nation! Will be good to have a quality storefront opening up its business in Yohannes :p
Last edited by Yohannes on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electrum Diplomatic Offices
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Electrum Diplomatic Offices » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:45 am

Hey guys, I don't usually poke around these forums a lot, except for updating my storefronts and all (much more active on the NSSports forum) but could I have some suggestions in improving my storefront? I've just started a two week holiday which has finally given me the time to reedit and restructure the way how my storefront is laid out (eg. resizing all ''partner" storefronts into a uniform shape instead of a mismatch).

Is there also a guide on making those really slick headers?

Thanks, Electrum.
Manager of Electrum Commerce: co-owner of Air Terranea, co-owner of Dream Games (thread) and manages the Electrum Airports Authority
Shocking at WorldVision
Electrum Statistics Office and Electrum Embassy Programme

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:00 am

Link to your storefront Electrum?

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 am

Ahh whoops.

here and here

I'm also rethinking of resizing some images (especially the first) on the Airport page too...
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 am

For your airport (and airline, really), you could have 1-2 more appropriately selected and placed pictures to supplement the text on your first and second posts in that thread. Otherwise, I think that it looks very well done, and it looks to me like you just need to break through the barrier of getting enough customers for your storefront to grow from word of mouth (which all good storefronts do, assuming that they can get customers).

In your own words, what makes your airline/airport different from the others that can be found on NS? Why should people use your services over the others? Then you can take that, and add it to your storefronts, as well.
Last edited by Lamoni on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
National Anthem

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:27 am

Lamoni wrote:For your airport (and airline, really), you could have 1-2 more appropriately selected and placed pictures to supplement the text on your first and second posts in that thread. Otherwise, I think that it looks very well done, and it looks to me like you just need to break through the barrier of getting enough customers for your storefront to grow from word of mouth (which all good storefronts do, assuming that they can get customers).

In your own words, what makes your airline/airport different from the others that can be found on NS? Why should people use your services over the others? Then you can take that, and add it to your storefronts, as well.

Ah yes. Thank you for the feedback. Duly noted for when I next renovate my storefront (in a couple of days).
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 am

You're welcome.
National Anthem

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:48 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=269704

Anybody got any suggestions?
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade