NATION

PASSWORD

Charter Convention

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Global Alliance Charter Convention

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:30 pm

OOC: This thing appears to have gotten off its feet already. Besides, Orbis, this alliance is going to exist inside a play-by-post RP. RPing its creation instead of hammering it out OOC makes perfect sense.

Kinstantia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinstantia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Vice-President Nate Davenport arrived at the convention. He stepped out of his limo and walked to the door with his briefcase in hand. He entered the majestic structure and looked around at the faces of every currently in attendence.

He was a bit unnerved by it all. Usually it was the President herself or King Conner who attended these events. He was used to quelling fights in the Senate, not helping to create a charter for an international alliance.
It's as if someone thought, "What if we took Baywatch, mixed it with Star Trek, and then blended in a frat party?" That's Kinstantia, in a nutshell.
This nation may or may not reflect my real life views. Furthermore, there's a lot of comic relief intended here, so if it seems a bit silly, you know why.

Liberty Coalition
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty Coalition » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:09 pm

OOC pretend my previous post dint happen.

IC
Warmaster Redan Matt arrived in his V22 Osprey with his guard of two Marines in Dress Uniform and a Medic in case of emergency.
They entered the building.

Portrait of the Warmaster.

Houses In Liberty Coalition
Current Ruling House: House Libertus: Armed Forces 10000
House Boro: Armed Forces 5000
House Corrino: Armed Forces 5000
House Ecaz: Armed Forces 5000
House Fenring: Armed Forces 5000
House Hagal: Armed Forces 5000
House Gina: Armed Forces 5000
House Harkonnen: Armed Forces 5000
House Moritani: Armed Forces 5000
House Mutelli: Armed Forces 5000
House Novebruns: Armed Forces 5000
House Ordos: Armed Forces 5000
House Richese: Armed Forces 5000
House Taligari: Armed Forces 5000
House Vernius: Armed Forces 5000

Orbis Romanorum
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orbis Romanorum » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Supreme Imperator Palatine Ricci, who had arrived a few hours earlier, examined the proposed flag carefully. "Perhaps we should all submit flag proposals," he said. "Also, what does everyone think about my proposed city plan," he asked looking around.
Emperor Palatine Ricci upon his arrival

Liberty Coalition
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty Coalition » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:47 pm

"That flag is a good one an i support it as the proposed flag" said the Warmaster "however I think the City should be built by all nations of this alliance"

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm

"A new city?" Miki asked, struggling not to sound incredulous. "Where will the residents for this new city come from? Why would any corporation want to headquarter themselves there? How are we going to pay the trillions upon trillions of dollars necessary to urbanize an area big enough to house nine million people? Why on Earth should we go through all this trouble when we could just locate it in an existing city in a stable nation? Building an entire new city for the sake of the alliance would be pointless waste."

OOC: And an economic god mod.

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:04 pm

"No offense meant to the Kaiser or his people, but I question the stability of any nation involved in two ongoing wars," Miki said, "We can't locate our headquarters somewhere under any kind of threat of invasion. We need a city that will be completely safe from invasion no matter what happens, which means we need a city that will never be the target of even a theoretical military campaign."

Orbis Romanorum
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Orbis Romanorum » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Comaack wrote:"We have selected a location and created an artificial island in the North Atlantic 200 Miles East of here. It can be used as a city."

"Well quit 'selecting' things for the entire alliance. At this point in time, although we have no charter, we still need to conduct business jointly. Also, this alliance is not neccessarily a peace organization as you stated. We don't know what this alliance is for because we have not completed this convention. We need to make our purpose and decisions together. Also, I believe my city idea is a good one, however, I think that a nation should donate an already built city to be renovated. We will donate one, but only with the JOINT permission of everyone. I have been patient my esteemed Kaiser. More patient than my fellow leaders. But now my foot is down and my line is drawn." The room went dead silent at the words of the Roman Emperor.

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 pm

"Can it be assumed that your nation is not currently involved in any wars, then?" Miki asked, calmly breaking the silence.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 pm

OOC: not to be hipocritical but get your OOC crap OUT of this thread the ooc thread is here. viewtopic.php?t=7749&f=5&view=unread#unread if you've already got ooc only posts delete them please.

IC:

"He has a point" Spoke up Admiral Hawk into the lull. "but our first order of buisness here has got to be to hammer out a treaty. A city for the GA can wait as can a flag and anything else. If you'd like to offer land or monney to aide in the construction thats great but that is a decision that should be made AFTER a charter is ratified and the alliance is open to new members. Now in the spirit of starting on this charter my firend here has brought along what we think would be a good starting point to the treaty."

Hawk gestured to Leroy who handed a stack of papers to the person to his right.
"Please" he said," Take one and pass them along the table."

The paper read
The Basics
There are four councils
Council One- General council
open to all members of the alliance. Can do anything given a set majority.

Council Two- Security Council
Made up of five members, Millitary Leaders but stable nations for preference. Capable of both representing the GA in matters of internal or external Security and capable of declaring war or organizing defences etc.

Council Three- Economic and Social Council
made up of (9?) members. Nations willing to RP diplomacy and aide other nations in developing or recovering from war or disaster.

Council For- International Court
An impartial court made up of (5?) members. Delivers justice based on an international code of rights/freedoms/laws/w/e to be voted on by the general council after the creation of the alliance.

My suggestion is that we get a general council and security council up and running first then have them vote on the rules regulations etc. of the other councils (the security council should be in place from the start)

Purpose
The point of the GA should be decided on by ALL members. But basically the idea is an alliance devoted to instituting a certain level of human rights to II with the teeth to do it. It'll also provide the same benefits of any Alliance including protection for its members, financial aide etc.

Powers
General Council
The Power to elect any member to one of the councils at a given interval requiring a simple majority after abstentions.
The Power to Declare war on any nation or alliance given an 80% majority.
The power to elect any prospective nation to the general Council given a sponsor and two co-signing nations. The Sponsoring nation takes full responsibility for its sponsore.
The power to Provide any aide (be that millitary or otherwise) to a nation outside of the alliance given a 70% majority
the power to change the GA constitution given an 80% majority
The power to remove a nation from the council given a 60% majority

Security Council
The power to declare war on any nation or alliance given a simple majority
The power to call upon any and/or all Member nations for millitary aide Up to 10% of the member nation's millitary (or more if offered) given a simple majority
The power to represent the GA in matters pertaining to internal or external security Including acting as diplomats in the name of the GA

Economic and Social Council
The power to Pull monney or millitary forces from any branch of the GA in order to aide any member or non-member nation given a simple majority
The power to Represent the GA in matters relating to Economic or Social issues including Aide
The power to accept non-member nations as Protectorates of the GA. (simple Majority)

International Court
The power to convict any person or nation and impose any sentance or Sanction given a simple majority

Member Nation's RIghts
-To call upon the alliance for protection from an agressor nation (if the member nation is the agressor and the war is unsanctioned the member nation is on their own)
-to call upon the alliance for financial aide if needed
-to vote, or abstain, on any decision in the general council
-to turnover any person from any nation into the jurisdiction of the international court
-to be granted a full hearing beofre being removed from the GA
-to be given the same rights as any other member nation
- to have up to 5 representatives present at any meeting of the council
-to use GA designatedterritory for housing of delegates, troop training or any other GA related activity
-to donate a portion of its millitary or GDP for use by the GA
-To put forward any motion given two sponsors to the general assembly
-to bring any issue to the attention of the security or economic and social councils

Member Nation's Responsibilities
-To not involve the GA in any war without a prior vote by the general or security councils (you may wage war as freely as you wish but may NOT involve the GA without prior consent that being said if someone attacks you you may call upon the GA to help you)
-To be respectful of all other nations of the GA
-(insert to be voted on human rights responsibilities)
-to give up to 10% of that nations millitary if called upon to do so by General Council or the Secruity Council.
-to not take uniliateral action against a nation or person who breaks the agreed upon "international laws" but instead to turn over these decisions to the International Court
-to remain active (at least 1 post/month)

Penalties
(to be established by the general council)

International Laws/regulations/ w/e
(to be established by the general council)

Membership in the various councils
-3 permanent members of the security councils
-2 members of the security counci to be voted upon once every 4 years
-9 members of the Economic and Social Council to be voted upon once every 5 years
-5 members of the International Court to be voted upon once every 5 years.
Last edited by DaWoad on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:29 pm

"We have a few concerns," Miki said, "Specifically that any nation can be required to give up a percentage of its GDP at any given time. Can any of us honestly afford to cede our tax dollars? If our Emperors cuts to bureaucracy and the tax that supported it go through, we won't have the tax money to pay anything significant. We'll barely be taking 10% of our GDP in taxes, and we obviously can't administrate the nation on donations alone. We propose that a certain percentage of the tax money be taken if necessary, but members of the GA should not be required to levy any more taxes on their people than they wish."
Last edited by Cantr VI on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:33 pm

"The wording of it is all extremely vague. Does that mean that nations can choose to either send their military or some of their GDP to fund it if called upon by the GA? Or does it mean that the GA can demand either? And how much of a percentage is taken, exactly?"

Miki turned from the debate to Mei, who looked up a moment from her laptop, which she'd been tapping away at furiously since the meeting began. Miki said something to her aide to quiet for the other delegations to hear, and Mei nodded before going back to her laptop, presumably now doing whatever it is Miki had requested.
Last edited by Cantr VI on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:37 pm

"I'm told our nation can spare absolutely nothing from the Drakonati DMZ at the moment. If the GA called upon us now, our options would be between inviting an attack from Drakonat and withdrawing from the GA. I'm sure we're not the only member nation that will ever face this situation."

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:45 pm

"That would reduce the Alliance to a mercenary force that member nations pay off to keep themselves safe. With all due respect to capitalism, we think a governing body should have higher ideals. Obviously member nations that can sacrifice should be required to if they intend to reap the benefits of the Alliance. No one's forcing them to join. But no one should be excluded simply because they're incapable of providing support. Wouldn't these nations be the ones most in need of membership in the Alliance? Why, then, should we be excluding them?"
Last edited by Cantr VI on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:00 pm

"You may have a point there." Said Hawk. "We will need millitary power though. Any suggestion on how that should work?"

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:10 pm

"Taking it away entirely would turn the Alliance into a joke. We just a need a method to determine who has enough tax or military surplus, and thus can reasonably spare forces or funds for Alliance actions and who can't."

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Cantr VI wrote:"Taking it away entirely would turn the Alliance into a joke. We just a need a method to determine who has enough tax or military surplus, and thus can reasonably spare forces or funds for Alliance actions and who can't."

"We could go for an entirely voluntary method perhaps?" Replied Hawk " A general call could be put out to the GA and any who could answer it at that time would on a voluntary basis?"
Last edited by DaWoad on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swaq
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Swaq » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:03 pm

The president stood up.

"First, the flag is beautiful. It reminds me of peace. Very good gentlemen. About our new possible meeting place; Why do we need a whole city for it? Can't we just take an island somewhere and built it there? And about the cash reserves of the alliance. I think every nation should pay at least something, according to their yearly budget. And if a nation pays more than another nation, both nations are still equal. And the military, I don't think we need a proper military force as I think that every nation is somewhat capable of defending itself."

The president took a deep breath and sat down.
Last edited by Swaq on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberty Coalition
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty Coalition » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:06 pm

" I agree with the honorable President of Swaq on everything except for the idea of military" said the Warmaster

Cantr VI
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cantr VI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:33 pm

"Locating the GA headquarters in a city will make amenities easier to transport to ambassadors living there. I can't speak for any other delegations, of course, but I would rather not live off of the amenities available to the average military base. But without a proper, dedicated military force on hand to deal with international threats, this Alliance will have no power. Nations may say they'll donate whatever military resources are available when they join the Alliance, but when said resources are actually needed I'm willing to bet that a majority of them will suddenly find their resources are tied up elsewhere. Even the CAG, which had, as I understand it, mutual defense as part of its charter, practically surrendered when it faced a significant threat. We must make some kind of military demand to those wishing to join the Alliance. The only question is exactly how much."

Orbis Romanorum
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Orbis Romanorum » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:58 pm

"My vassal state Atlantis X, which is much larger than my nation, would be the perfect location. Their cities of Lemuria or Mucrou would be the perfect candidates. Atlantis has only been to war once and that was with me. So, war will not be a threat to any HQ there," said the Emperor. He waved to the Comaackian personnel to begin the slideshow on Atlantis X and his proposal for the GA Headquarters.

Atlantean Parliament

Atlantean countryside

GA Headquarters Proposal

"You see, if Atlantis is chosen we will essentially relocate the citizens of the chosen city and bulldoze. A new city, at the generous expense of my nation, will be built"
Last edited by Orbis Romanorum on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Swaq
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Swaq » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:02 am

"That looks absolutely magnificent!" President said and clapped his hands like a little child and laughed. "And of course, Swaq is willing to fund some of the building expenses, so that Orbis Romanorum doesn't have to do it all by itself."
Last edited by Swaq on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:02 am

"Um if you'd be interested we may have a solution to both problems." Said Hawk. "We have combat engineers that are well versed in constructing Millitary bases designed for use by VIPs admitedly on a smaller scale. We could create a millitary compound within which each member nation would be granted a parcel of land. Obviously this would be a large undertaking but we could then situate the base wherever the GA decided was best. it would provide a certain amount of protection as well as all the comforts required.

As to the millitary side of things I'd suggest two things. First that there be a mandetory comitment to give up 5% of the members millitary if called upon to do so. That being said it would be obvious that the security council would only initiate a call up if absolutely necessary. Furethermore the council would not call upon those nations whose millitaries were currently tied up in any venture and we could make the penalties for not complying to a callup dependant on the situation."

Orbis Romanorum
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Orbis Romanorum » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:05 am

DaWoad wrote:"Um if you'd be interested we may have a solution to both problems." Said Hawk. "We have combat engineers that are well versed in constructing Millitary bases designed for use by VIPs admitedly on a smaller scale. We could create a millitary compound within which each member nation would be granted a parcel of land. Obviously this would be a large undertaking but we could then situate the base wherever the GA decided was best. it would provide a certain amount of protection as well as all the comforts required.

As to the millitary side of things I'd suggest two things. First that there be a mandetory comitment to give up 5% of the members millitary if called upon to do so. That being said it would be obvious that the security council would only initiate a call up if absolutely necessary. Furethermore the council would not call upon those nations whose millitaries were currently tied up in any venture and we could make the penalties for not complying to a callup dependant on the situation."

"Of course, of course. However, while I like the idea of GA military bases in all member nations, the GA Headquarters should be independent. That is just my opinion," said the Emperor.

Liberty Coalition
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty Coalition » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:11 am

DaWoad wrote:"As to the millitary side of things I'd suggest two things. First that there be a mandetory comitment to give up 5% of the members millitary if called upon to do so. That being said it would be obvious that the security council would only initiate a call up if absolutely necessary. Furethermore the council would not call upon those nations whose millitaries were currently tied up in any venture and we could make the penalties for not complying to a callup dependant on the situation."

" This is a good suggestion and i agree with it" Roared the Warmaster
Last edited by Liberty Coalition on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.