NATION

PASSWORD

Guide to Aerial, Ground and Naval Warfare

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vortiaganica
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:54 pm

A (slightly odd) question from myself:

How viable are non-lethal weapons for infantry, airforce or navy? I don't have high hopes of attaching some giant tranquilizer gun(omg this dart in my head is bigger than my whole body) to my navy or some random Microwave 'Death To Morale' Ray on my air force, but would infantry or armour using non-lethal weaponry viably be able to put down enough opposing troops to be viable as a forward attacking force or even most of that attacking force?
The Grim Reaper in Disguise

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Agadar wrote:What about attack helicopters and ICBM's? I'd love to have those two coverd as well, since personally I can't really find a use for helicopters other than transportation.

They fall under the Ground Attack and Tactical Airlift categories.
[strike]I'm a former NS Mentor! If you have any roleplaying related questions, feel free to ask me over telegram!

If I ever appear to be inactive, it's because I am.

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Vortiaganica wrote:A (slightly odd) question from myself:

How viable are non-lethal weapons for infantry, airforce or navy? I don't have high hopes of attaching some giant tranquilizer gun(omg this dart in my head is bigger than my whole body) to my navy or some random Microwave 'Death To Morale' Ray on my air force, but would infantry or armour using non-lethal weaponry viably be able to put down enough opposing troops to be viable as a forward attacking force or even most of that attacking force?

Depends what non-lethal weapon you want to use. If you wanted to use mustard gas or something of the like, it could work as a repellant or as a cover for an offence.
[strike]I'm a former NS Mentor! If you have any roleplaying related questions, feel free to ask me over telegram!

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Well they already use em. Theres that Humvee mounted heat ray thing being developed for crowd control, and theres that sound emitting device common on freighters and cruise ships that travel through dangerous waters.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm meaning more like microwave technology. (The US uses a weapon that fires microwave rays, which irritate the skin and cause a burning sensation on anyone in front of it to a range, which obviously is not enjoyable)

Or possibly, some sort of really upped up taser gun. (Like, really upped up, through some sort of military funded program, I don't really know how I could up it for military combat)

Basically, an inlet to allow us take over a given territory by forcing the surrender, not forcing a retreat, of troops using non-lethal technology. (As in, without ANY lethal technology, or as little as possible. The technology Hegstoria has mentioned is used for civilian craft, I believe, and isn't supposed to be used in an actual INVASION)

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Maybe vialbe against unarmed civillians, or small groups of soldiers, but I don't think they are designed to replace lethal weapons in conflict.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:
Agadar wrote:What about attack helicopters and ICBM's? I'd love to have those two coverd as well, since personally I can't really find a use for helicopters other than transportation.

Barely anything about helicopter strategies is discussed in any of the guides, nor do any of them talk about ICBM's.

Talking about ICBM's, I'd love to see a guide regarding the use of nuclear weaponry. I'd love to write one myself, but I'm not exactly an expert.
Proud resident of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Maybe vialbe against unarmed civillians, or small groups of soldiers, but I don't think they are designed to replace lethal weapons in conflict.

In your opinion, what would be the best way to use them in tandem with lethal weapons to achieve an equilibrium between winning and not killing?

Any tips if I were to go down the non-lethal path?

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Agadar wrote:
Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:

Barely anything about helicopter strategies is discussed in any of the guides, nor do any of them talk about ICBM's.

Talking about ICBM's, I'd love to see a guide regarding the use of nuclear weaponry. I'd love to write one myself, but I'm not exactly an expert.

The only thing differences between helicopters and fixed wing aircraft in combat are that helicopters can hover and can land in a much smaller area than fixed wing aircraft. I really don't think I need to state that. Also be aware that I haven't written a how-to guide, I have written a basic guide to instill a little knowlege about air warfare.

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Vortiaganica wrote:

In your opinion, what would be the best way to use them in tandem with lethal weapons to achieve an equilibrium between winning and not killing?

Any tips if I were to go down the non-lethal path?

Its sort of hard to say. Basically, you wouldn't want to send your troops out with only non-lethal weaponry, and you would have to be very careful about how and when you used it. You would basically use it only when the enemy doesn't have their weapons at the ready.

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Lazer dazzlers are becoming more and more frequently used to blind enemy troops, and the Chinese use them on the Type 99 to blind enemy missiles or the people who operate them.

Permanent blindness is very possible considering that this is NS. The ZM-87 could permanently blind to three kilometers, but it looks approximately as awkward as a Vickers Gun. Dazzlers that temporarily blind come in sizes small enough to mount on rails.
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Hmm...thank you.

I WAS thinking about trying to use non-lethal technology almost as a main weapon for my infantry forces. (Who, because my nation is an island, are very elitist and a fairly small group, mostly there to complement naval and aerial power, as well as in case we need to use force in foreign lands)

Although it seems that it would be a fairly tough proposal to do anything with JUST non-lethal technology.

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Considering enemy infantry is safe if they ducked behind a pillow :/
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

-the Ukrainian SSR-
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby -the Ukrainian SSR- » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Satirius wrote:Considering enemy infantry is safe if they ducked behind a pillow :/

I have two bad*** words.

Rubber. Bullets.

Head. Shots.

Okay that's four but still.
Рутенія [Rostil]
Basically? The Fascist Soviet Union

Do I offend you? Good, it means you have an opinion.
She/Her/They Pronouns - I write things

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:59 pm

What about standard personal weapons such as taser batons, bean bag rounds, wax bullets, and rubber bullets as tertiary non-lethal weapons in civilian and COIN situations? I think they would be very useful. For example, if there is some guy in a COIN scenario holding a cell phone, you don't know if he's calling someone or trying to blow something up. Worse yet, if he ignores your warnings to put don the cell phone you have no idea if its because he wants to detonate a bomb or if he just can't understand you. You don't want to chance him blowing anything up, which could hurt you, your fellow soldiers, or someone else, but if he was making a legit call and was innocent blowing his brains out might saddle a conscience. Considering most US and coalition deaths in the Middle East are caused by planted explosives, often triggered by douchebags with mobile devices, a situation such as this is all too common yet unacceptable in modern warfare. It only makes sense that a soldier should have something as a less-lethal backup in scenarios like this. What if you could pull out a wax-tip loaded pistol, rubber bullet dispenser, or ranged taser and knock down the cell phone dude? If he was innocent then sure he'd be pissed at you, but he'd still be alive. Because of the less discriminant nature in which non-lethal force can be used, non-lethal and less-lethal weapons are ideal for urgent, no-time-to-think friend-or-foe scenarios.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Because of the less discriminant nature in which non-lethal force can be used, non-lethal and less-lethal weapons are ideal for urgent, no-time-to-think friend-or-foe scenarios.

That would be part of the reason why I will DEFINITELY be spending a fair bit of my budget on some non-lethal weapons.

I'm just not sure how far I should go.

Like someone above said. 'A pillow could stop it.' Well, maybe not a pillow, but there is every possibility that I end up overlooking the slightly more dangerous stuff (like shotguns and rocket trucks) in favor of wax bullets.

What I want to do is to use non-lethals or less-lethals in a high quantity on an actual battlefield, where most people are likely to be foe, assuming not everyone is as messed up in the head as I am to go far enough to use non-lethal weapons as a PR stunt.

Belkan Provinces
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Belkan Provinces » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:38 pm

After reading the Urban Warfare section where it lists all the famous Urban Battles:
Stalingrad - my grandpa fought there and was wounded in the leg, right above the knee, they had to amputate it

The Wire guided rockets we trained with were above all the coolest thing I have ever seen, still have the need to shoot a RPG-7 though
Last edited by Belkan Provinces on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
RP Nation Population: 3.5 billion people, so don't freak out
Embassy Program
Factbook
List of Belkan Military Forces
"I am the Man who arranges the Blocks that continue to fall from Up Above.
The markets are free! So much money for me! Tell me why should I care for peace and love!"

Groko
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Groko » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:49 am

subscribe.

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:53 am

Quick question:

For a half-realistic military, how many personnel should I set for each of my branches? (As an estimate)

The following is my current ideas on the number I want to use for my factbook.

Not sure if they are good numbers. (I have a pop of 2.5 bill...almost, 50 or 60 mil short)

THE VORTIAGANIC ARMED FORCES

VORTIAGANIC POLICE:27,500,000 personnel.
VORTIAGANIC TRAFFIC POLICE:50,000 personnel.
THE NATIONAL SECURITY GUARD (BLACK CATS)-The Vortiaganic Special Police/Dictator's Personal Security Service.:2,500,000 personnel.
THE ROYAL GENDARMIE-The Vortiaganic Paramilitary Service.:500,000 personnel.
THE IRON KNIGHTS-The Vortiaganic Special Forces.:200,000 personnel.
THE HAND OF GOD-The Vortiaganic Elite Platoon.;
20 Students, 4 Teachers, 1 Grandmaster

4 Squads of 10 people each (1 teacher, 9 students) and 1 master to oversee the platoon or be adjoined to one of the squads.
VORTIAGANIC NAVY -The Vortiaganic Navy.:3,000,000
VORTIAGANIC AIRFORCE :3,000,000
VORTIAGANIC ARMY -The Vortiaganic Ground Forces, Logistics and Command:4,000,000
Last edited by Vortiaganica on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:27 am, edited 12 times in total.

Rustika
Minister

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rustika » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:09 am

I made a thread for this, but I got a bunch of people who didn't understand naval warfare telling me it was a terrible idea. So I'm posting it here for people who have a brain to tell me what they think.

Class and type: Lupo class Missile Platform Battleship
Displacement: 45,000 tons
Length: 270.43 m
Beam: 32.97 m
Draft: 11.33 m
Speed: 33 kn (61 km/h)
Complement: 91 officers, 989 enlisted

Armament:
6x DARDO 40 mm Naval guns (AA, can destroy Anti Ships Missiles, and other precision weapons)
2x LIVECO 20 mm AA Guns (AA)
6x Siklvester Side Launchers (Coastal bombardment, Missiles launchers, one can launch 4 Missiles at a time)
21x Sidewinder Launchers (AA Missiles)
20x Maestralo Launchers (Anti Ship)
10x AS Launchers (Anti Submarine Rockets)
4x Hedgehog Depth charge shooters (Anti submarine, can shoot 20 at a time)
5x 324 mm Torpedo Tubes (Homing Anti Submarine/Anti Ship)
2 × SCLAR-H chaff, decoy and flares launchers
2 × SLAT anti torpedo system

Armor:
Belt: 307.3 mm
Bulkheads: 287.0 mm
Barbettes: 294.6 to 439.4 mm
Turrets: 500 mm
Decks: 190.50 mm
Aircraft carried: Piomare Helicopters (2x)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")
Member of the MNU

The PeoplesFreedom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The PeoplesFreedom » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:24 am

Rustika wrote:I made a thread for this, but I got a bunch of people who didn't understand naval warfare telling me it was a terrible idea. So I'm posting it here for people who have a brain to tell me what they think.

Class and type: Lupo class Missile Platform Battleship
Displacement: 45,000 tons
Length: 270.43 m
Beam: 32.97 m
Draft: 11.33 m
Speed: 33 kn (61 km/h)
Complement: 91 officers, 989 enlisted

Armament:
6x DARDO 40 mm Naval guns (AA, can destroy Anti Ships Missiles, and other precision weapons)
2x LIVECO 20 mm AA Guns (AA)
6x Siklvester Side Launchers (Coastal bombardment, Missiles launchers, one can launch 4 Missiles at a time)
21x Sidewinder Launchers (AA Missiles)
20x Maestralo Launchers (Anti Ship)
10x AS Launchers (Anti Submarine Rockets)
4x Hedgehog Depth charge shooters (Anti submarine, can shoot 20 at a time)
5x 324 mm Torpedo Tubes (Homing Anti Submarine/Anti Ship)
2 × SCLAR-H chaff, decoy and flares launchers
2 × SLAT anti torpedo system

Armor:
Belt: 307.3 mm
Bulkheads: 287.0 mm
Barbettes: 294.6 to 439.4 mm
Turrets: 500 mm
Decks: 190.50 mm
Aircraft carried: Piomare Helicopters (2x)

This is really not the appropriate place for this. I'd recommend NSD. http://z4.invisionfree.invalid.com/NSDraftroom/index.php
If you have any questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

National Information
NS Draftroom[/spoiler]

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:43 am

Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:

Depends what non-lethal weapon you want to use. If you wanted to use mustard gas or something of the like, it could work as a repellant or as a cover for an offence.

mustard gas is lethal not less-lethal
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:29 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:

mustard gas is lethal not less-lethal

Rubber bullets aren't meant to be lethal either, but one shot to the temple and you're gone. I would class Mustard gas as a non-lethal weapon because it isn't employed to kill, but to harrass and incapacitate enemy soldiers.

Amerikians
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Amerikians » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:
DaWoad wrote:mustard gas is lethal not less-lethal

Rubber bullets aren't meant to be lethal either, but one shot to the temple and you're gone. I would class Mustard gas as a non-lethal weapon because it isn't employed to kill, but to harrass and incapacitate enemy soldiers.

Good sir, Mustard Gas was designed to slaughter enemy soldiers, not harrass and incapaciatate them. It was designed to clear trenches and kill everything in them including the rats. So I disagree on that note. Do not misinform.
The United States of America
Obscure popculture references abound. The current year is 2042 of the Common Era, or Anno Domini, depending.

AM I EVEN CAPABLE OF CALLING IT A FUCKING PARODY ANYMORE!?!
Proclaimed Best-NS-America, one of Estainia's.

Concordeia
Senator

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concordeia » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:45 pm

My suggestion for non-lethal weaponry as part of general warfare is to have plenty of flashbang and chemical incapacitant (knock-out gas) weapons, though the mass use of flashbang munitions could very possibly cause permanent hearing loss. For stopping vehicles, I would recommend high-power microwave beam weapons, seeing as almost all modern vehicles have electronic systems, though they may be shielded. In some situations, if the enemy force is really competent and intent on killing your guys or others, you may have no choice but to resort to lethal measures.
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:
Concordeia wrote:Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

I gotta say it. First time I read through this, I could have sworn it said something like this:
Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block spam missiles!

I was like, "Who the hell are you fighting... or more importantly, was your lunch meat laced?"

Grossrheinland Reich wrote:
CTALNH wrote:3 words: S&M and BSDM

Let it be known that God hates you.
OOC: so fkn hawt

Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents