NATION

PASSWORD

Basic Primer to Naval Warfare

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jeuna
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeuna » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Reformed Britannia wrote:A question about ASBMs: assuming you had a big enough ship, could you make an ASBM that could be launched from a ship?

Khan was designed specifically to counter SDs, but I think it could only be fired from other SDs.
Last edited by Jeuna on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In memoriam; unjustly deleted: Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, North Point, Franberry, Sharfghotten, Rosbaningrad, Tyrandis
Do not trust in oppression, nor vainly hope in robbery. Ps 62:10
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device. - David Langford
Factbook | Diplomacy
BUT THIS IS NS

Taffy 3
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Taffy 3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Reformed Britannia wrote:I personally think this should be stickied because it definately helped me out quite a bit.

A question about ASBMs: assuming you had a big enough ship, could you make an ASBM that could be launched from a ship?

Sure, I've built a battle-cruiser that does just that. In all honesty a ship the size of the RL Kirov Class would be large enough to do it.
Fanshaw Bay Shipwrights

"Let us not go down before we fire our damn torpedoes," - LT Bob Hagen, USS Johnston prior to her suicide run during the Battle off of Samar

Izistan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Izistan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Reformed Britannia wrote:I personally think this should be stickied because it definately helped me out quite a bit.

A question about ASBMs: assuming you had a big enough ship, could you make an ASBM that could be launched from a ship?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_cr ... le_cruiser
306 all tha way yo, reppen fer mi home boyz thro it up

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Jeuna wrote:
Reformed Britannia wrote:A question about ASBMs: assuming you had a big enough ship, could you make an ASBM that could be launched from a ship?

Khan was designed specifically to counter SDs, but I think it could only be fired from other SDs.

Absolutely not.

The Khan came in launch containers that could set up anywhere you had room for a missile that big. There was even a version with floatation aids added to the containers that made it float upright. In that version, you would chuck the containers overboard, and then use a remote to fire them. Naturally, ground-based Khan launchers also exist.

The current Khan, mind, is a FOBS ASBM.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Izistan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Izistan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Khan II is...different...
306 all tha way yo, reppen fer mi home boyz thro it up

Star Trek America
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Star Trek America » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:52 pm

I have no senority to speak of and little experience but.

Endorsed for Sticky-ing.

Viva la Française

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:59 pm

yes also seconding for Stickying!
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

Robot spartans
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Robot spartans » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 pm

tagged

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 pm

A great deal of this is pretty much applicable to air warfare, especially because aero-naval warfare is largely inseperable.
Restore the Crown

Star Trek America
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Star Trek America » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:46 pm

Questers wrote:A great deal of this is pretty much applicable to air warfare, especially because aero-naval warfare is largely inseperable.

Wouldn't it be seperable depending on era? You're absolutely correct; just saying. Oh while it's on my mind; please add a section about the dos and don'ts of submarine warfare.

Viva la Française

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Star Trek America wrote:
Questers wrote:A great deal of this is pretty much applicable to air warfare, especially because aero-naval warfare is largely inseperable.

Wouldn't it be seperable depending on era? You're absolutely correct; just saying. Oh while it's on my mind; please add a section about the dos and don'ts of submarine warfare.
Of course it is, but the majority of people rp MT, not PMT and not PT. I will think about submarines and who I would talk to about it, as I am not a subsurface expert.
Restore the Crown

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:37 am

Douchetag.

Dewhurst-Narculis
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dewhurst-Narculis » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:41 am

Endorsed
PT/MT Nation
Death is the only Absolute
The Grand Duchy of Dewhurst-Narculis
|Monarchist Nation| DEFCON [3] [2][1]
Coveton Crisis 1828-Mutual victory
Quendisphere War 2010-Resolved

1st Great Southern War 1898
2nd Great Southern War 1925
3rd Great Southern War 1942-1944
4th Great Southern War 1983
Dewhurst-Narculian- Theaman War 2010
Okhotsk Conflict 2012-2013
2nd Cedorian-Gilnean War-2014 ^All Won

North Vasangal Uprising-2014-(Ongoing)
Dervistonian War-2014-(Ongoing)
One of the the original founders of: SEC, Axis, SACTO and the Great Southern Ocean Region| Nine Years and no Condemnation/Commendation, what is this?

North Eugenia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Eugenia » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:52 am

i love it....

endorsed....
Central Makarov Island (New Eugenia)
The Colony of Ampatuan(Southern Adriatica)
Visit North Eugenia Now !
Organizations
Strategic Orbital Interception Network
"Running Out Of Roleplaying Ideas since December 20 2009"
Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

Reformed Britannia
Senator

Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Reformed Britannia » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Another question: is LADAR an effective form of missile guidance when the missile is in its terminal phase?

THE PEOPLE'S CONFEDERATION OF LEUTLAND
FORWARD, FOR THE GLORIOUS CAUSE!

IIWiki Factbook

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm

This seriously deserves to be stickied
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:25 pm

Reformed Britannia wrote:Another question: is LADAR an effective form of missile guidance when the missile is in its terminal phase?
Here's a post I wrote on NSD about non-radar forms of terminal guidance. It's about electro-optical sensors, but since LIDAR is a form of optics, it works the same principle.

The EO sensor's problem is that it is superfluous in that it detracts from the overall space you have on the seeker head to fit the other sensors. It's true that when you're within visual range of a vessel with an absolutely clear view, EO would defend you from radar jamming.

Packing in the EO sensor will reduce something, be it fuel, warhead, or seeker head. The advantages it brings, i.e. being invincible to radar jamming (allegedly), weighed against the fact they work only if there is a direct line of sight to the ship (not interfered with by clouds or rain or smoke) makes adding an EO sensor relatively pointless.

With one missile against one ship, it might work. But consider what a ship in the midst of battle looks like. Assuming clear skies, there will be smoke and contrails everywhere. Funnels may be pumping smoke; the ship may be on fire or else smoking.

This is the launch of one missile. Now consider a ship, in that profile, launching 3 or 4 or more missiles. Now consider that there may be three, or four, or ten or twenty such ships, under the same conditions; firing guns, letting off chaff, firing missiles, smoking, so on and so forth. Suppose some vessels have been hit and are smoking. Now you can see that under battle conditions, optical sighting does not bring advantages worth what you are going to lose to install it.

And the more capable you make your EO sensor, the larger its going to be. The more space you are going to lose for other things just to try and solve these elementary issues that are to be assumed under combat conditions.

Now bear in mind that radar jamming, which the EO protects you from, is only one layer of defence. Let's make a little table. On the left hand we have types of defences and on the right hand, whether EO protects a radar system against them.

Theatre Air Defence (Fighters): No
Long Range Air Defence (SM-2, S-300, etc): No
Short Range Air Defence (ESSM, RAM): No
Guns/CIWS (76mm, Phalanx): No
Chaff: Possibly
Radar Jamming: Only under X conditions

Is adding the EO worth it? What can you have for the size of an EO sensor? 50km extra range, 50kg extra warhead weight? A more powerful sensor?

http://www.galorath.com/wp/seer-h-electro-...-validation.php

This lists the price of an EO system, a non military system, at $458,000. The procurement cost of a Harpoon missile is $720,000. Now consider, without a reduction in capacity an EOS brings from greater mass and space, the cost. (1,178,000 / 720,000) x 100 = %163. Each Harpoon missile costs an extra 63%, just for the addition of an EO sensor. Tomahawk is allegedly even cheaper than Harpoon. If you were to buy 100 Harpoons with the addition of a EOS, you could buy 163 without the EOS.

Now presumably this EOS is too large to mount on a missile, such is the reason for its expense. But the point is proven. EOS appears to be expensive. Even at an extra 10% cost, that's a 10% reduction in the amount of missiles you can fire. In an NS environment, when you want to be able to fire say 500, or 1000 missiles, this is a significant reduction in capacity, again, for real no advantage. For what? Being able to evade radar jamming in a totally visually clear environment?
Last edited by Questers on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Dinosians
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinosians » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:53 pm

I have to wonder if there is a question that Questers can't answer on this subject...

I've read up on missiles now, and I was wondering which is more effective against a Naval Force: sea-skimming or missiles that approach the target, launch vertically upward and then dive back down on top of the enemy (Similar to a Javelin)?

Also If necessary, under the circumstances can a IIR/Radiation AAM be used against a Ship? As they would give off a large amount Heat/Radiation.
Last edited by Dinosians on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:15 pm

Dinosians wrote:I have to wonder if there is a question that Questers can't answer on this subject...

I've read up on missiles now, and I was wondering which is more effective against a Naval Force: sea-skimming or missiles that approach the target, launch vertically upward and then dive back down on top of the enemy (Similar to a Javelin)?

Also If necessary, under the circumstances can a IIR/Radiation AAM be used against a Ship? As they would give off a large amount Heat/Radiation.
For a missile like that to work it would either have to be ballistic, i.e. gigantic, because to get any usable amount of range on it it would have to go so high up to cover the distance required it would likely go into the atmosphere, so no, not like a javelin. What you are talking about is a hi-lo flight path as opposed to a lo-lo. Let me explain. Radar is limited by the horizon; http://radarproblems.com/calculators/horizon.htm this handy calculator helps you out. Sea skimmers are strong because with a ship with a radar 20m above sea level, a missile approach at 20m above sea level (enter the figures and you'll see) will only appear on radar 31km from the ship, because the curvature of the earth is blocking it. Now let's put that inbound missile at 8,000 metres altitude. It can be seen on radar at 387km (assuming it isn't stealth.) So you can see that sea skimming reduces the reaction time of air defences quite significantly; like, twelve-fold, taking these figures.

On the other hand, sea skimmers can't really go fast. I think they're limited to mach 2.5 or something like that (the fastest sea skimmer I've seen is Yakhont, which is mach 2.5 @ 5 metres.) A high altitude missile like Kh-22 can take advantage of some change in the air or other (it becomes denser or lighter or something... hey, i'm not a scientist) so it goes faster, which is why these gigantic Russian missiles have reported speeds of Mach 4 or above; because they don't sea skim, like Yakhont or Moskit.

On the other hand, AWACs aircraft have look-down capabilities, so they can detect the missiles coming at your fleet even if the ships can't see them. Now this is only useful really so long as you have active-radar surface to air missiles on your ships, otherwise any other guidance system will still have to wait for them to come in range to get a firing solution. Active RADAR SAMs can just be fired at a certain area and use their own radars to illuminate targets... but still, sea-skimming is the best way, IMO. I haven't used large, high-altitude, high-speed missiles in NS for a long time.

RE: different seeker heads on missiles. I'll C&P another post I made on draftroom.

"As I said, if you were to take an EO-seeker head Harpoon and a non-EO Harpoon, it would be different because you are adding something to an airframe but not takinga way from it. So the question is, what are you taking away from the missile's airframe by the addition of an EO suite? I don't see that IR/EO has so much of an advantage over radar as to bother with it. Bear in mind that Penguin and NSM are EO only; it's uncommon for anti-ship missiles to be equipped with anything more than radar and INS. Maybe a two-way datalink, if they're massive, like Kh-22 or P-600. NSM may have a lot of guidance systems there, but that's likely because it doesn't have a radar, which would take up a massive amount of space. The reason that NSM and Penguin likely don't have radars is because of their size. Compare to say, Exocet and Harpoon, they're between 50-60% of the weight of those missiles. So it's likely a size problem and not one of doctrine."

And here's one by Vault 10.

"The potential solution of using multiple seekers is far from perfect or even good, since the frontal area of a missile's nosecone is heavily limited. It becomes a choice between fitting one proper seeker versus two half-baked seekers (IR and visual spectrum sensors are very different), or in the more extreme case, a weak mini-radar and two EO mini-seekers, all with poor range and resolution compared to what a full-sized radar could have.

A further difficulty is extracting useful data from such a fusion rather than having the seekers interfere with one another. For instance, if while the EO seekers lose sight of the target due to flares and clouds, the radar misleads the missile towards a spoofed signal, the result is worse than if it simply followed the extrapolated trajectory with a single IR seeker, or if it had a better radar that was less vulnerable to spoofing.

As such, it is best to select a single sensor; and even if multiple sensors are used, one still should be dominant."
Last edited by Questers on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

LINTYLAND
Minister

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby LINTYLAND » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey Questers, how can a person defeat a stealth ship?
14:12 Solm Black people shouldn't be on NS

I makeTitles!!!
Pew! Pewwwwwww! Explosion!!!

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:20 pm

LINTYLAND wrote:Hey Questers, how can a person defeat a stealth ship?
The same way you defeat stealth anything. Stealth is simply measures taken to reduce radar observability. A stealth vehicle, be it ship or aircraft, broadcasting full transmissions is louder than a non-stealth vehicle not broadcasting anything. The answer is proper and thorough ELINT.
Restore the Crown

LINTYLAND
Minister

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby LINTYLAND » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:23 pm

Questers wrote:
LINTYLAND wrote:Hey Questers, how can a person defeat a stealth ship?
The same way you defeat stealth anything. Stealth is simply measures taken to reduce radar observability. A stealth vehicle, be it ship or aircraft, broadcasting full transmissions is louder than a non-stealth vehicle not broadcasting anything. The answer is proper and thorough ELINT.

Thanks a bunch :hug:
14:12 Solm Black people shouldn't be on NS

I makeTitles!!!
Pew! Pewwwwwww! Explosion!!!

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:05 am

Dinosians wrote:I have to wonder if there is a question that Questers can't answer on this subject...
You know, this is just a hobby of mine, that I've been interested in for six(!) years. It all began when Praetonia said that I was "probably OMP material." Back in the day, the OMP, Organisation of Maritime Powers, was an ad-hoc group of all the greatest naval powers, tacticians and designers. Admittance really did mean something. It all began from there. I don't have a background in science or even the Navy (i've been mulling over an Army career, actually.) If you have the dedication, you too can be like me, or any of the others like me, on this forum. You don't even need to be particularly smart, just to have an analytical mind and a desire to see fairness and realism.
Restore the Crown

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:34 am

Should be noted that you can put stealth features on missiles, but it's not neccesarily economic to do so depending on tech level and doctrine.

Dinosians
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinosians » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:46 am

Questers wrote:
You know, this is just a hobby of mine, that I've been interested in for six(!) years. It all began when Praetonia said that I was "probably OMP material." Back in the day, the OMP, Organisation of Maritime Powers, was an ad-hoc group of all the greatest naval powers, tacticians and designers. Admittance really did mean something. It all began from there. I don't have a background in science or even the Navy (i've been mulling over an Army career, actually.) If you have the dedication, you too can be like me, or any of the others like me, on this forum. You don't even need to be particularly smart, just to have an analytical mind and a desire to see fairness and realism.

I was just pointing out that I doubt that any question asked in this thread, would go unanswered or be left with an inadequate answer. Also god to know that even the all powerful Questers started small at some point.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents