NATION

PASSWORD

The Opensource War (Closed, MT, OOC thread)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

The Opensource War (Closed, MT, OOC thread)

Postby The Star of the Queens » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:59 am

This is the OOC thread of The Opensource War. Please post any relevant OOC comments here.
=== WARNING! ONLY SEMI-ACTIVE FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD! ===

From the desk of the Star of the Queens, the Leader of the Empire Of The Star Of The Queens Embassy program
Economic Left= -7.38 & Social Authoritarian= 2.31
Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. Current DEFCON Level: [5][4][3][2][1][0] Elevated Readiness

Wars involving our Nation:Other RPs:
The Rain - HALTEDAridan, New Planet Discovered - HALTED
The Opensource War (as the Terrorists) - DEFEATEDQuendi - Hayaban Conference
The Logasiri Revolution

I Participated in the HDI World Census of Late Spring/Early Summer 2010! You can too at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57088

Coldran
Secretary

Founded: Apr 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coldran » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:57 am

Okay then. So I'm wondering, am I in or out? I got my first post in right before the forum closed. However, I'm not really after Gnu Lunixia, because it looks like it's soon to be roadkill. Rather, I'm mainly after the GLF, because I still see them and their currently unthreatened possesion of nukes as a major threat to the world, and Coldran. I'm just confused...

The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Star of the Queens » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 am

The GLF officially supports GNU/Linuxia. So if you want to be against us, you will be nuked (until papal states don't kill my hackers and get back satellites to detect nuke base). You can be for us, and be roadkill as well. GLF nuke parts will suddenly expire after the war, no matter how the war ends.
I'm (as myself) against Linuxia, that's why I played the Terrorists to show that IRL they could easily assemble a nuke if given enough resources and plans.
Coldran, and you are in (until the DM=linuxia decides otherwise), because at the time of your first post, the forum was open.
Last edited by The Star of the Queens on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

From the desk of the Star of the Queens, the Leader of the Empire Of The Star Of The Queens Embassy program
Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. Current DEFCON Level: [5][4][3][2][1][0] Elevated Readiness

The Logasiri Revolution

I Participated in the HDI World Census of Late Spring/Early Summer 2010! You can too at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57088

The North Papal States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The North Papal States » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:50 am

The Star of the Queens wrote:Secret Terrorist Nuke Base
The Terrorist High Command realized that the battle had escalated, and nukes could immensely help the linuxians, in this case by launching a nuke on them. They made a grave mistake: They concentrated troops and airforce on a small place - on the coastline of our ally. While the Papal states purged the land, we didn't need to worry about any friendly casualties. So after the launch vehicle took another random stand, it launched a nuke against the closed-source troop concentration area.

If I read this correctly, you meant to say that you launched a nuke at my forces in Oyamon, right? Because that's what that huge post with the Requiem missile defenses was about.

The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Star of the Queens » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:22 pm

@NPS: that was the previous post, when I didn't know you had ABM there. Now I attacked your capital. Maybe there are less ABM or satellite coverage?

The Logasiri Revolution

The North Papal States
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The North Papal States » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:56 pm

More of both, given satellites can track it during its long travel around the world. I'm considering letting it through though. ABM is pretty solidly unreliable. And if I play it right, I can rally people behind the flag. (Of course if I play it wrong, I could be forced to pull out altogether.)

Actually...holy sh*t. I'm a devious bastard.

A post is on its way.

Edit: And in regards to the Requiem missiles...I wasn't really sure if I was godmodding or not. I mean, on the one hand, I never mentioned them by name until I used them. But then, I don't know any fully modernized army that leaves an army completely without missile defenses. Whatever I guess. Too late now.

Edit2: By the way, my country is led by a dead man. Specifically, a computer program that is designed to look like a past leader who was assassinated. "He" leads the country through a T.V. network that's basically used by everyone from civvies to military personnel. While the network itself is nation, and military, specific, and thus practically impossible to hack, it's possible with all the hacking going on that someone might figure out the truth. You could probably touch off a civil war if you did that; though finding the evidence to back it up isn't something that you could do very easily.
Last edited by The North Papal States on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:04 pm

OOC: I apologize for being offline for a while. I was grounded and had to serve my punishments. If someone could catch me up to speed, that would be very helpful.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

The North Papal States
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The North Papal States » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:13 pm

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:17 pm

The North Papal States wrote:http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Opensource_War

Wiki is your friend.

Thenk you!

{I actually help operate a far-flung wiki site, but I never figured out how to jump into NS Wiki. Do you write characters, countries, courts, legislations, or are you limited to only certain IC items? What NS items can and can not be written?}
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

The North Papal States
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The North Papal States » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:22 pm

I have no idea. All I've been working on is this one article, and then only because Gnu Linuxia set it up and pointed it out.

Edit: As a side note...Turtleshroom...could you tone down the absurdity? It's hard to jump from "millions dead due to nuclear attack" to some guy with the last name "Underpantz." With a "z".

Also, Star of the Queens...I kind of intended for you to find that information on my leader slowly. Damning evidence isn't behind something one guy can just decrypt because he thinks it might be interesting, or everyone would know it already.

Besides, I don't think I adequately stated this before, so I'm going to give a brief history of the Papal States.

My country was invaded by Kasara due to internal instability, caused mostly by a weak economy. Under superior forces, the Papal States are quickly defeated. However, the leader, Pope Luke VII, and several of his most elite soldiers and scientists, hid out in a secret bunker in the mountains. After a year or so of research and development, they managed to complete the Fist of God, a quark bomb (third description, cuz wikipedia deleted the entry on it) capable, essentially, of turning Kasara into so much radioactive dust.

The Pope himself, along with several others, got on a passenger plane, with the intent to drop the bomb straight into the Kasaran capital city. However, KISS, Kasara's intelligence services, simultaneously learned the location of the secret base. After a shoot-out, they determined the Pope's plan, and rushed to stop him. However the instability of the device made an interception via jet, or something else, impossible, as a detonation in the air would basically wipe out the Vexxian continent. Agent Crimson, a Kasaran intelligence officer, made it into the plane, there was a big fight and the bomb was stopped. (And before you ask, all information regarding the bomb was lost or destroyed, pretty much. So no, I don't have random overpowered bombs. The FoG was just a plot device.)

The Pope, captured, was forced to surrender unconditionally. While giving a public speech on the matter he was shot fatally, which touched off a series of riots and rebellions which, in the immediate effect, pushed the Kasarans out of the Papal States. (In the long run, it resulted in the nuclear destruction of the capital. Twice. Now it's three times, and I'm just going to make a new bloody capital.)

Yadda yadda, various warlords took over, got shot, someone else took over. There was a series of bloody wars with the Banished States, who toss around nukes like confetti, and basically everything sucked. While all this sh*t was going on the Pope's illegitimate daughter, Sara, found two things. One, a defunct series of buried nukes that were intended to be used as absurdly powerful landmines to impede enemy advances into the Papal States. (Only that particular facility is connected to them, by the way, and about four people even know they exist. Before you start hacking into the system.) Two, a nation-specific broadcast system, which the Pope used to give speeches while in exile. Nation-specific meaning it cannot be accessed from outside the nation. And given it never needs to accept data, it basically just broadcasts, and you'd have to actually directly tap into the wires itself to hack it. Possible, but a huge pain in the ass.

A bunch of other stuff happened that to be honest I don't even remember anymore. I think somewhere in there was the second time my capital got nuked, by the Masked Woman. (Important character, but not to this particular overview.) In the end, Sara met up with a disgraced programmer who had worked on a defunct "Goliath" program. It was intended to create AI. It pretty much failed, and funding was cut. The programmer in particular had kept working on his section, hoping he could get the military to fund him again. But since it was basically the aesthetic section, the military didn't see any purpose in it, and certainly willing to pay what he wanted.

So the new "Goliath" program pretty much just displays an image which looks exactly like a person. Sara convinced the programmer, who I still haven't actually named, to imitate the Pope. Then, together, they used the broadcast network to basically announce "I AM THE IMMORTAL POPE!" in the Pope's voice, with his image, on every T.V. in the country. Given most people had seen him get shot in the face, they pretty much shit their pants and started calling him God's Emissary. Which obviously cut out most/all of the infighting. To cover their asses, Sara and company then redesigned the military. Zero Squad became the Seraphim Agency, and where the first had focused on basically superpower James Bond-esque agents, the second focused on having shit-tons of people. Basically the Seraphim are more secret-police than spies.

The main point? You'd have to get the Goliath program to display the Pope's face. All you should have right now is a small bit of evidence that the Pope may actually be little more than a program. And, I suppose, access to the national broadcast network.
Last edited by The North Papal States on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Herminia
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herminia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:24 pm

You know, now that that port that my troops were originally headed to has been nuked, they're gonna have to land elsewhere.
No, in RL, I'm not a Nazi, I'm just an ordinary guy who knows the true politics behind it.
New Nicksyllvania wrote:Long live the Empire! A thousand Huzzahs for Herminia, and may our most esteemed Chancellor, the handsome devil, die a most noble and courageous death soon!

Canadai wrote:Seeing that, in a modern setting, scares the @#!*% out of me.

I have to say, you're by far the best at RPing a modern Nazi nation I've seen. Right down to the national motto.

in Herminia, gays are given the honour of executing communists

you truly are an enlightened nation

Zis nation has elements of magic, oppressed Nichtmenschen, and Nazi Super Science, zere is no realism with me

The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Star of the Queens » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:11 am

Sorry NPS. Disarm the attack by your seraphim (I left you the opportunity in that post), will retcon in the new post.
Herminia: I couldn't nuke anything in Linuxia while Papal ABMs would take it out.
Last edited by The Star of the Queens on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Logasiri Revolution

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 pm

The North Papal States wrote:Edit: As a side note...Turtleshroom...could you tone down the absurdity? It's hard to jump from "millions dead due to nuclear attack" to some guy with the last name "Underpantz." With a "z".

OOC: It's not absurdity, it's absurd comedy. I can't maintain a serious stance for too long without injecting SOMETHING stupid. I'm a very lighthearted man, and I know from my mother that "underpants" at least makes people smile, like it does me. His last name isn't REALLY "Underpantz". The terrorist was making a transfer large enough to mandate a name of the depositer. He chose "I. C. Underpantsz" in desperation and to avoid getting caught. For some reason, the terrorists killed him for securing money in the unsuspecting TurtleShroom banks.

OOC: Furthermore, there are several TurtleShroom officials on hold, trying to call up Northern Papal States. I roleplayed them a while back, and you never responded. I would reccomend that you answer them, please. The banker should especially be answered, becuase he's going to talk about the wire transfer, which could tip of the terrorists using TS banks. Oh, and few died in that nuclear blast on the TSSSS because of the commonplace air raid drills.
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

The North Papal States
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The North Papal States » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Post either later tonight or tomorrow. Sorry. School shit is just...horrible right now. 'Cuz school is practically out for me.

The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Star of the Queens » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:38 am

Would someone please RP the two terrorist attacks on your linuxian stands?
I sent 150 suicide terrorists in your Ulyamon beachhead
I attacked your blockade at the same spot as Linuxia with all my forces. (You are most likely to be defeated here as you are probably outmanned and outgunned there.)

The Logasiri Revolution

Coldran
Secretary

Founded: Apr 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coldran » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:18 am

Okay, my school is finally over, so I'll be able to give a little more effort to nationstates. By the way, I tried to look at our NSwiki page, but it showed a 500 in-server error. I'm using a five-year-old MacBook and Safari, so any idea? (The same thing happens whenever I try to access NSwiki.)

The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Star of the Queens » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:44 am

@Coldran: You could try downloading an alternative browser. There is Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome for Mac. On Linux and Window$ (TM) I tested with Firefox and had no problems. Opera shouldn't have problems either.
@ Papal States: Would it be godmodding if I found out that you use brute force arrack and start using AES encryption? (AES permits the use of 256-bit keys. Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2^128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. A device that could check a billion billion (10^18) AES keys per second would require about 3×10^51 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space. -> (C)Wikipedia at Brute force attack) It would provide work for your supercomputers for years to come no matter how many of them you got. Would you mind writing the casualties for the blockade attack for me, I would like seeing IF I got through, and with how many soldiers to continue in this RP.

The Logasiri Revolution

The North Papal States
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The North Papal States » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:21 pm

The Star of the Queens wrote:@Coldran: You could try downloading an alternative browser. There is Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome for Mac. On Linux and Window$ (TM) I tested with Firefox and had no problems. Opera shouldn't have problems either.
@ Papal States: Would it be godmodding if I found out that you use brute force arrack and start using AES encryption? (AES permits the use of 256-bit keys. Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2^128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. A device that could check a billion billion (10^18) AES keys per second would require about 3×10^51 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space. -> (C)Wikipedia at Brute force attack) It would provide work for your supercomputers for years to come no matter how many of them you got. Would you mind writing the casualties for the blockade attack for me, I would like seeing IF I got through, and with how many soldiers to continue in this RP.

That wouldn't be godmodding at all. Though I can understand why you'd ask that after I tweaked out at your revealing the Pope to be a program. Sorry for that.

...Yeah. I tend to get a little insane when it comes to major plot points.

In any case, what/how many terrorists are attacking the blockade, and from where? Are they coming from Gnu Linuxia or from the ocean/a bordering nation.

The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Star of the Queens » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:21 am

So let's make it clear. Is it a PMT or an MT game?
@ Papal states. Since I don't have ships, I can come on land, from a bordering (neutral, NPC) nation.

The Logasiri Revolution

The North Papal States
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The North Papal States » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:59 am

Wait...is

"1,197,000 troops with AK-74 rifles
9,000 troops with 9K32 "Strela-2" AA missiles
1,000 Elite troops
800 Suicide bombers
Anti-Air:
900x Truck-mounted FlaK (concealed as disabled WWII veteran vessel at private collectors)"

that just attacking the blockade!?

I thought you were attacking my main army with that! I mean, holy sh*t!

In any case, my blockade is composed entirely of helicopters with air support from fighter/bomber jets. The Orphanim tanks are still holed up in Oyamon.

Yeah. I'll write a post under the assumption your huge army that's attacking is just heading for my blockade.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:02 pm

The Star of the Queens wrote:So let's make it clear. Is it a PMT or an MT game?
@ Papal states. Since I don't have ships, I can come on land, from a bordering (neutral, NPC) nation.

In NS Issue Canonical, every reigon comes with the NPC countries called "Barrytopia", "Maxtopia", and "Blackacre". They are the 'enemy countries" in the Issues. Use one of those to enter.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Star of the Queens » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:27 pm

If you have helicopters, they will be probably down. Fighters, as they are equipped with countermeasures and supersonic jets will be mostly unharmed, fighter/bombers can cause lots of havoc. And I must attack the blockade with my full army, since without transport aircraft or teleport I cannot write that "suddenly a terrorist army of 2.5 million emerged out of thin air..." or "millions of soilders just walked past strictly enforced borders without resistance or even notice." I have written a massive land army because there could be land forces as well aiding your helicopter blockade.
Turtle: just pick one of them and write some land resistance to strengthen the papal army at the blockades. If they ARE enemy countries to either of us, then with NPS or you we could retcon the border attack and rp a battle at one of these countries. I control my force and you could control the npc army (of a size that can be defeated even with my army). I can bear high casualties, though.

The Logasiri Revolution

The Star of the Queens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Star of the Queens » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:39 am

@ Papal states, and everyone.
It was a fun RP to play I regretted writing a post to go, but I had to to avoid being accused of godmodding. Since Napoleon, we know that artillery is especially good against large groups of infantry (as mine), and after the WWI, we also knew that bombing is good against infantry. Since the cold war, we know that there is no way to detect an airplane without a radar, and detecting a plane with a radar can be hard as well. The terrorists could in no way have a radar, so I had to let your planes in. And if you have a bomber in visual range, you know, that it's way too late especially if you have nukes on said plane, which will detonate even if you shoot the bomber down. And a large group of tightly packed infantry with no means of blast, nor radiation protection can't survive being nuked, even from a distance. Also you have let my nukes in and let them kill a huge amount of civilians who could be saved by your nations bunker or ABM systems, and wouldn't be godmodding.
The concept of playing as a terrorist organization was to warn Linuxia that publishing a plan of a WMD could be very dangerous as advanced terrorist organizations CAN make a nuke provided they had the know-how. (But fortunately nuclear scientists will not join a terrorist organization and would be more likely to be killed in torture than they give away the plan of a nuke.)
It was fun to play with you, I'm looking forward RPing with you again!

The Logasiri Revolution

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:29 pm

The Star of the Queens wrote:It was fun to play with you, I'm looking forward RPing with you again!

I had a great time, too! Thank you for playing as well. :lol:
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Gnu Linuxia
Attaché

Founded: Jun 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gnu Linuxia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Just letting everybody know that I am going on vacation, and won't be back for a week or so. Sorry guys, I'll play when I get back.
I MAKE FLAGS
If you want me to make a flag for you, just pm me. It's just something I like to do. A hobby.

The Opensource War

Gnu Linuxia's Wiki Page

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents