NATION

PASSWORD

[Earth II] Mexico History Discussion (OOC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Layarteb
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

[Earth II] Mexico History Discussion (OOC)

Postby Layarteb » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:49 pm

So to get this off of Discord and here so that we can preserve the discussion for the purposes of ensuring we have everything on record, let's look at the history discussion of the NPC Mexico. The below history goes up to 1835, where I think we're all going to come in with our own histories.

• 11,500 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] Oldest human remains date back to 11,500 BC but there is evidence showing habitation going back to 40,000 BC.
  • 7500 BC: [Grand California, Mexico (NPC)] The oldest mural art dates back to 7500 BC in the state of Baja California.
  • 5000 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] The first evidence of organized agriculture appears in Tehuacán.
  • 2000 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] Pottery appears in Archaic era people in Mexico and the Maya civilization begins in Central America.
  • 1500 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] The Olmec civilization appears along the Gulf lowlands in southern Mexico. The first population center is San Lorenzo, located in the southeast of modern-day Veracruz. A distinguishing feature of the San Lorenzo Tenochtitlán area will be large stone heads weighing 31 tons.
  • 1000 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] The Mayan civilization begins to establish its first sedentary communities. Tikal in Guatemala becomes one of the first along with El Mirador, Tayasal, and Calakmul. The former two are in Guatemala while the latter is in the modern Mexican state of Campeche.
  • 900 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] In Olmec Mexico, San Lorenzo is abandoned in favor of modern-day La Venta. In this population center, the Great Pyramid is built to a height of 110 ft (34 m) making it the largest Mesoamerican structure of its time. It is also one of the first pyramids in Mesoamerica.
  • 750 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] Large structures appear in the Mayan lowlands.
  • 500 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] The Olmec civilization reaches its height and Zapotec writing dates back to this time.
  • 400 - 350 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] The Olmec civilization begins to decline. While the true reason is unknown, modern-day archeologists attribute the decline to large environmental changes related to plate tectonics, volcanism, and/or changes in the riverine environment.
  • 300 BC: [Mexico (NPC)] The modern-day city of Teotihuacan is believed to be founded and it grows steadily over the next 450 years. In modern-day Cholula, the Great Pyramid of Cholula begins construction. It will take 1,200 years to be built in honor of the deity Quetzalcoatl.
  • 300 BC - 150 AD: [Mexico (NPC)] As Teotihuacan grows, it establishes a new economic and political order unseen in Mexico to this date.
  • 100 - 200: [Mexico (NPC)] Construction on the Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan
  • 150: [Mexico (NPC)] Teotihuacan becomes a major metropolis and one of the first on the continent.
  • 250 - 650: [Mexico (NPC)] The Mayan civilization begins its classic period with rapid flourishment over the course of 400 years. Large-scale construction projects and urbanism dominates the period with significant intellectual and artistic development as well as breakthroughs in mathematics, astronomy, and writing yet there is plenty of influence from Teotihuacan. The largest Mayan cities have around 50,000 to 120,000 people.
  • 378: [Mexico (NPC)] Teotihuacan intervenes in Tikal and other nearby Mayan cities, deposing the Mayan king with one who was favorable to Teotihuacan. The conquest is led by Siyah K'ak'.
  • 426: [Mexico (NPC)] The Copán ruling dynasty is created with K'inich Yax K'uk' Mo' as its first king. It will last through sixteen rulers and while it is located in modern-day Honduras, it is part of the Mayan civilization.
  • 496: [Mexico (NPC)] The Toltec people are expected from Teotihuacan where they are led by Huémac I who brings them to Tula.
  • 500: [Mexico (NPC)] Teotihuacan becomes one of the largest cities in the world and the entirety of modern-day Mexico, Guatemala, and Honduras are affected by Teotihuacan's economic pull.
  • 537 - 572: [Mexico (NPC)] By this point, Tikal and Calakmul have become "superpowers" in the Mayan civilization. This results in the First Tikal-Calakmul War. Though Tikal and its kingdom are not destroyed, the kingdom suffers major losses and goes into a decline.
  • 650 - 695: [Mexico (NPC)] The Second Tikal-Calakmul War occurs with Calakmul leading for the majority of the war until 695 when Tikal won a major victory. The balance of power thus shifted in their favor against Calakmul thereafter.
  • 650 - 950: [Mexico (NPC)] Teotihuacan declines as a political power over the course of 300 years. During the early part of this decline, structures and dwellings associated with the city's ruling class are burned as part of an internal uprising. Some theories suggest an eruption of the Ilopango volcano in El Salvador in 535 led to agricultural devastation precipitating the collapse.
  • 700: [Mexico (NPC)] About this time, the Toltec Empire becomes the dominant political entity in modern-day Mexico as Teotihuacan declines.
  • 720 - 744: [Mexico (NPC)] In the Third Tikal-Calakmul War, Tikal defeats Calakmul and decisively pushes the kingdom into decline.
  • 750 - 900: [Mexico (NPC)] The Mayan civilization breaks down over time due to unknown causes. In the Copán Valley, the population is estimated at just 15,000 by 900 after reaching a peak of 28,000 around 750 - 800. By 1200, the population will be less than 1,000.
  • 899 - 909: [Mexico (NPC)] Somewhere in this period, the city of Calakmul has its last recorded date amidst the Mayan collapse.
  • 930: [Mexico (NPC)] The Toltec Empire reaches the height of its territorial extent with domain over the northern part of the Yucatán peninsula as well as much of central Mexico. However, in this year, the territory in the Yucatán is conquered away from the Toltec Empire by Ce Acatl Topiltzin, who was the fourteenth ruler of the Toltec Empire, though he had been exiled shortly after he was elected ruler in 877.
  • 970 - 987: [Mexico (NPC)] Toltec control on the Yucatán fades and the area descends into anarchy though the League of Mayapan is founded putting an end to it. The League of Mayapan will exist for 474 years.
  • 1000: [Mexico (NPC)] The Toltec Empire is ravished by a religious war between the adherents of Tezcatlipoca and Quetzalcoatl with the latter fleeing to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico in the Yucatán. The adherents of Quetzalcoatl did not favor large-scale human sacrifices, putting them at odds with the adherents of the former.
  • 1122: [Mexico (NPC)] The city of Tula is burned during an invasion of the indigenous people of the Valley of Mexico, otherwise known as the Mexica peoples (Aztec). This marks the end of the Toltec Empire. The area of Central Mexico suffers a 60% population decrease over the next 300 years and the area remained divided into several different city-states.
  • 1250 - 1376: [Mexico (NPC)] Over the course of 126 years, the Mexica peoples ingrain themselves with the various city-states that exist following the collapse of the Toltec Empire. In the Valley of Mexico, the Mexica peoples were largely seen as latecomers, crude, and unrefined in comparison to Toltecs but they were ambitious and adept militarily.
  • 1325: [Mexico (NPC)] The Mexica people are forced to flee from Culhuacan and they do so to the west side of Lake Texcoco where the construction of Tenochtitlan begins. To the Mexica peoples, the foundation of the city here is seen as divine instruction from Huitzilopochtli, the chief deity.
  • 1348: [Mexico (NPC)] Tlaxcala is founded. They will be instrumental in the downfall of the Aztec Empire, by which point they will have a population of nearly 650,000 people.
  • 1427: [Mexico (NPC)] The Aztec Empire or the Aztec Triple Alliance is formed between the cities of Tenochtitlan, Texcoco, and Tlacopan. Though it would never span the territory that either the Toltec Empire or the Mayan civilization spanned it does stretch from Oxtlipa in the north along the Gulf of Mexico to Cihuatlan along the Pacific Ocean and eastwards as far as Tochtepec and Coyolapan.
  • 1438: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] The Union of Tawantin (retrospectively referred to as the "First Empire") is established by Sapa Inca Pachacuti.
  • 1519: [Mexico (NPC)] The Aztec Empire reaches its peak. The city of Tenochtitlan holds a population of 350,000 - 500,000 people making it one of the largest cities in the world. Tenochtitlan sits on modern-day Mexico City. However, the Aztec Empire has made no friends of its neighboring people who clamor to destroy them after nearly 100 years of conflict, kidnapping, and mass slaughter at the hands of Aztec armies.
  • 1519 - 1530: [Mexico (NPC)] The Aztec Empire is besieged on all sides by other city-states and peoples of modern-day Mexico. The city of Tenochtitlan is sacked and burned in 1530 after over 200,000 Aztecs are killed. The Aztec Empire serves as the last native civilization of the country. This is known as the Aztec-Tlaxcala War after the largest anti-Aztec city-state.
  • February 1535: [Mexico (NPC)] European explorers arrive on the shores of modern-day Campeche, then known as Potonchán, marking the first time Europeans have traveled to this area. They land in Mexico to find a land of disorganized city-states reeling from the Aztec-Tlaxcala War. In all, the Europeans number 1,400 people across a 19-ship fleet. The expedition is led by 30-year-old José Luis Lorca and he and his men are initially greeted with curiosity by the natives in the Yucatán.
  • August 13, 1537: [Mexico (NPC)] José Luis Lorca, after having spent 2-1/2 years marching throughout Mexico reaches Tenochtitlan, the former capital of the Aztec Empire. Upon his arrival, he declares himself "Conqueror of Mexico" and proclaims himself as King José I, King of Mexico, naming the land after the Valley of Mexico and the Mexica people he encounters. Tenochtitlan is renamed Mexico City.
  • February 1546: [Mexico (NPC)] Under the leadership of King José and with large amounts of his fellow people from Europe, the Kingdom of Mexico extends from one end of modern-day Mexico to the other. The native people, ravaged by the diseases of the Europeans are unable to defend themselves properly and they are subjugated in their entirety in just nine years.
  • April 1546: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] The Nuevo Extremaduran people (200 in number) arrive on the shores of modern-day Tumbes, Peru to discover the Incan civilization embroiled in a deadly civil war and plagued by an epidemic.
  • Summer 1546 - 1692: [Mexico (NPC)] Over the course of 146 years, Mexican conquistadors march southward, conquering the modern-day states of Belize (1548), Guatemala (1552), El Salvador (1560), Honduras (1570), Nicaragua (1588), Costa Rica (1602), Panama (1610), Colombia (1629), Venezuela (1650), Guyana (1665), Suriname (1680), and French Guiana (1692), establishing the Empire of Mexico During this time, the Mexicans force Roman Catholicism upon the natives, brutally beating or killing anyone who does not convert.
  • 1550 - 1590: [Mexico (NPC)] The Chichimeca Confederation, one of the last indigenous entities fights a 40-year war with Mexico but they are defeated.
  • July 1551: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] The Incan Civil War concludes after Nuevo Extremadurans assist Prince Auqui in claiming the throne of the Empire of Tawantin. Emperor Auqui uses the Nuevo Extremadurans to quell remaining pockets of resistance in exchange for vast amounts of precious metals.
  • July 8, 1567: [Mexico (NPC)] King José I dies of blood poisoning at the age of 62, leaving his son Carlos to take the throne. Carlos is only 29 years old.
  • October 15, 1584: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Tawantin adopts the Gregorian calendar. October 5 - 14 do not exist in 1584.
  • September 24, 1589: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Thupa, the last member of the Incan ruling dynasty, dies. Martín Macías, born in Tawantin to Nuevo Extremaduran parents, becomes the first non-Incan emperor at the age of 37. Emperor Martín establishes the Second Empire of Tawantin and begins a policy of using the Catholic Church as a means of social control, resulting in tensions between the Church and state that endure for over 300 years.
  • 1600: [Mexico (NPC)] By this point, the indigenous population of modern-day Mexico stabilizes at around 1.5 million (down from a high of 5 - 10 million prior to 1535). Smallpox is the deadliest killer of the indigenous populace. Some 500,000 - 1,000,000 European people will immigrate to Central America along with approximately 250,000 people from Africa and 125,000 people from Asia during the first 300 years of the Empire of Mexico's existence. In the midst of these diseases and mass immigration, the Empire of Mexico begins to establish a slave trade system in the early 1600s in order to serve as cheap labor to support the growing country.
  • September 16, 1610: [Mexico (NPC)] Modern-day Panama falls to Mexican forces after a protracted war. King Carlos I declares that he shall be further known as Emperor Carlos I and orders an elaborate coronation in his honor. However, Carlos I is 72 years old and in ill health and will not live very long.
  • December 2, 1611: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Carlos I dies during the night. His son, Hector is crowned Emperor Hector I of Mexico. Hector is 31 years old.
  • November 3, 1612: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Martín dies and his eldest living son, Juan, is crowned Emperor at the age of 35.
  • November 1618: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Hector I, while continuing to oversee the conquistadors' march southward directs the Mexican Navy to expand into the Caribbean Sea, aiming at the country's closest neighbor, modern-day Cuba. European-based civilizations had ruled the Caribbean for the better part of the past 125 years but the distances are seen as a weakness. After one month of planning however, the admiralty informs Emperor Hector I that too many of the country's land forces are tied up in the invasions to the south. Emperor Hector I plans to conscript as many men as needed over the next 5 years.
  • January 1624: [Mexico (NPC)] Raising a sizeable military, Emperor Hector I orders the invasion of modern-day Cuba. From there, the Empire of Mexico will have a stepping stone throughout the rest of the Caribbean.
  • October 10, 1624: [Mexico (NPC)] Cuba falls to Mexican forces beginning what will amount to a 300-year-insurgency that vacillates between periods of no activity and periods of heavy combat.
  • November 1624 - August 9, 1640: [Mexico (NPC)] Over the course of 14 years, Mexican ships and soldiers conquer the rest of the Caribbean Sea. The modern-day islands of Jamaica (1626), Hispaniola (1628), and Puerto Rico (1630) fall first with the last island of Trinidad falling in 1640.
  • March 10, 1637: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Juan dies without legitimate heirs and his youngest brother, Francisco, inherits the throne at the age of 47.
  • August 29, 1649: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Francisco signs the Treaty of Lima to merge the Empire of Tawantin into the Empire of Mexico. He abdicates as emperor, swears allegiance to Emperor Hector I, and is appointed the first Viceroy of Peru. To secure the support of the Tawantinans, Hector I implements the Mexican-style encomienda system in Peru whereby the tributes from indigenous could no longer be goods and must be labour. Authorities also begin to capture indigenous in Peru to be enslaved in other parts of the Mexican Empire.
  • November 21, 1649: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] The Archbishop of La Plata o Charcas arrives in Mexico City to deliver to Emperor Hector I a set of demands for establishing a Bill of Rights for Indigenous Peoples.
  • February 26, 1650: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Hector I abolishes the Peruvian administrative office "Protector of the Indians" and nominates a Mexican as the next Archbishop of La Plata o Charcas. His nephew, Emperor Benito I, will continue this policy resulting in all bishops in Peru being Mexicans within a generation.
  • March 1, 1650: [Mexico (NPC)] On his 70th birthday, Emperor Hector I is murdered, presumably by his son, José. José however pins the murder on his cousin Adolfo, who is executed at the behest of the Emperor's Guard. José is crowned Emperor José II at the age of just 19.
  • September 9, 1655: [Mexico (NPC)] Just 5 years into his rule, Emperor José II dies due to kidney failure. Historians suggest that he was slowly poisoned by his uncle for the murder of the former's father and the latter's brother. His uncle Luis Lorca is crowned as Emperor Luis I of Mexico but he is 65 years old.
  • March 10, 1660: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Luis I suffers a stroke and is unable to continue his duties. He steps down from the throne to appoint his son Fernando as Emperor of Mexico but a succession crisis erupts when José II's wife María Lorca declares her son to be the rightful heir to the throne. However, Jorge Lorca, son of José II is only 8 years old.
  • March 11 - October 5, 1660: [Mexico (NPC)] The Mexican Succession Crisis leaves a fractured court in Mexico City with no clear ruler.
  • October 6, 1660: [Mexico (NPC)] Benito Pons, a cousin of both Fernando and José, is crowned as the Emperor of Mexico in the interim until José can reach age. He is 26 years old and considered amongst those in court to be the most skilled and well-refined of José Luis Lorca's descendants. What they do not know however is that he will refuse to give up the crown.
  • May 13, 1668: [Mexico (NPC)] In the middle of the night, masked assailants are able to gain access to the palace grounds where they seek out and kill María Lorca and her 16-year old son, José. In doing so, they wipe out an entire branch of the Lorca bloodline. The assailants are captured by the palace guards and they are immediately executed before they can speak. Historians believe that Emperor Benito I arranged for the murders as well as their hasty executions to retain power. Over the next six months, those who question his legitimacy befall many ill fates with most dying in "accidents."
  • February 4, 1692: [Mexico (NPC)] At this point, the Empire of Mexico reaches its largest extent with approximately 2,000,000 mi² (5,180,000 km²) of territory under its thumb. Until the formation of the Empire of Columbia, the Empire of Mexico holds the title of the largest political entity in the Western Hemisphere. Emperor Benito I, now 58 years old, proclaims a 6-day celebration period ending on February 9 so that citizens can attend mass on February 10, a Sunday.
  • April 22, 1693: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Benito I is thrown from his horse and dies. His eldest child is his daughter, Inés. According to the law, she is to be crowned as Empress of Mexico but there is significant backlash to the idea of a female ruler. Inés withdraws her name from consideration and Jon Pons is declared Emperor Jon I. He is 21 years old and he swiftly changes the succession law to be the eldest born male child to avoid another situation. This will ultimately become the country's downfall.
  • 1700: [Mexico (NPC)] By the start of the 18th century, silver and gold mining become the dominant economic drivers for the Empire of Mexico. By this point, the country has trade links throughout the entire world and the economic output of the country is tremendous with significant revenue going to the crown in the form of business taxes. Throughout the 18th century, the Empire of Mexico will become increasingly dependent on slaves to fuel its economic growth. Mexican slave traders see a massive uptick in demand and soon slave ships are crossing the Atlantic Ocean almost daily.
  • August 8 - 19, 1700: [Mexico (NPC)] A revolt in Pueblo occurs when the indigenous people rebel against the Mexican government in one of the earliest instances of revolts against Mexico City since the end of the Chichimeca War in 1590, outside of the Cuban Insurgency. The Puebloans were notorious for their refusals to convert to Roman Catholicism and for the brutal measures that missionaries enacted to force conversion. The revolt began when a group of Puebloans attacked and burned the largest church in the city of Puebla. The attack saw the slaughter of 139 people. The Mexican government sieged the city with over 2,000 men killing 600 civilians in the process and forcing the remaining Puebloans to flee the city.
  • July 8, 1716: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Jon I dies of unknown causes. His eldest son is crowned Emperor Carlos II at the age of 18. He will rule for 70 years and be the longest-serving ruler in the Empire of Mexico and also the one held in the highest esteem by modern-day Mexicans and historians.
  • Autumn 1716 - Early Winter 1740: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Carlos II spends 24 years reforming the Empire of Mexico. He grants the same rights to indigenous people as everyone else in Mexico has, he institutes a number of education reforms designed to increase the literacy of the populace, he establishes a national police force to replace the state militias, and most importantly, he established religious freedom, ending the long history of forcibly converting the indigenous people to Roman Catholicism. Despite these changes, Emperor Carlos II does not endeavor to end slavery, though it is possible - based on his personal writings - that he abhorred the practice but was powerless to stop it.
  • Early Summer 1719 - Winter 1744: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] All encomiendas in Peru are gradually dismantled under the reforms of Emperor Carlos II. As haciendas begin to take on increasing prominence in the economy, former encomenderos grow more frustrated at the Mexican government and hacendados.
  • October - December 1741: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Protests spring up throughout Peru. The local population opposes the newest reform policy regarding the place of origin of government officials. Catholic clergy, including those loyal to Mexico, continue to protest vehemently the so-called "religious freedom" law.
  • October 8, 1741: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Carlos II promulgates a policy that all government leaders in Peru must be from Mexico. There was growing unrest and discontent in Peru since the Emperor began to liberalize the social order. Appointing only Mexican officials to Peru ensures that he can control the government’s messaging, monitor all discontent, and suppress unrest more effectively when it arises.
  • December 25, 1741: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Local police arrest the Archbishop of Lima after celebrating his final Christmas Mass that day for inciting riots against the government and is charged with treason. He is executed the next day. Similar arrests and charges are conducted against a handful of bishops and priests throughout Peru the following two days.
  • December 28, 1741: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Local police arrest Father Roque Olmedo del Castillo in Ayacucho. Indigenous townspeople attempt to stop the arrest and nearly overwhelm the police before they fire into the mob. This act of violence causes more indigenous to retaliate and by the end of the day, 144 indigenous men, women, and children had been massacred.
  • February 6, 1742: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Carlos II declares that Peru will be governed by officers of the Mexican military and Catholic clergy will be restricted in where they can travel and what they can do.
  • Early Summer 1742: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Indigenous revolts spread throughout Peru, which are all suppressed by the Mexican military leaving thousands dead.
  • August 16, 1745: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Carlos II orders the construction of the Chapultepec Castle, located atop Chapultepec Hill. He does so to establish a new residence for the crown and though he orders its construction on ground sacred to the Aztecs, which brings about some unrest from the remnants of the Mexica peoples, he finds little organized resistance to it. The castle was finally completed in March 1766 and Emperor Carlos II moves in immediately thereafter.
  • August 1756 - October 1758: [Mexico (NPC)] A movement begins throughout the Empire of Mexico to establish a written, codified constitution guaranteeing certain rights, liberties, and powers to the people of Mexico. The movement also calls for the establishment of an independent legislature from the royal court and an end to slavery.
  • October 15, 1758: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Carlos II signs a written constitution into force in an effort to stave off massive, civil unrest, though yet again he does not codify an end to slavery. Historians argue that his reforms gave power to the people enough to push for this agenda. Classic revolutionary theory holds that the people's expectations were gradually increased as Emperor Carlos II offered more and more reforms. The Constitution of Mexico established the Mexican Congress as a bicameral legislature. Each territory in the Empire of Mexico was able to elect deputies to the lower house, the Chamber of Deputies. However, in an effort to keep the country's aristocracy from revolting over granting more power to the people, the upper house, named the Senate, is appointment only. The Empire of Mexico in essence becomes a constitutional monarchy though the Emperor's powers are far from limited.
  • November 3, 1758: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] A group of students at the Jesuit University of Cusco protest the new Constitution because they view these reforms as demeaning the sanctity of the monarchy by giving too much power to the mob and believe that Freemasons had infiltrated the highest levels of government. The Church hierarchy begin to prohibit Catholics from participating in the structures of government including elections or obeying the laws passed by the independent legislature.
  • September 3, 1759: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Carlos II declares that all properties of the Society of Jesus shall be seized by the Crown and all members of the Society of Jesus shall be arrested and deported from Mexico, the effects of which were felt throughout the educational system and rural missions of Peru. The Church hierarchy ceases public criticism of the government, but in practice nearly all Catholics in Peru continue to not participate in elections and to passively resist the implementation of new laws. For the next 50 years, periodic revolts occur throughout Peru, all of which are suppressed by the Mexican military and government officials.
  • August 1, 1780: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Antonio I establishes the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata taken from the southern half of the territory of the Viceroyalty of Peru (to which is added Biafra) as an excuse to nearly double the number of government officials he can appoint to impose his rule in Peru. A small band of intellectuals, militia, and tradesmen begin to organize resistance, traveling away from Peru into the sparsely populated areas of Río de la Plata to escape imperial surveillance.
  • December 31, 1786: [Mexico (NPC)] Emperor Carlos II dies at the age of 88 after being bedridden for 6 months. His eldest son is hardly much younger and Emperor Carlos III is crowned as Emperor of Mexico at the age of 66.
  • February 1, 1787: [Mexico (NPC)] After serving as Emperor of Mexico for 1 month, Emperor Carlos III abdicates in favor of his son, the 37-year-old José. Emperor José III is considered to be a playboy and ill-suited for the crown but he accepts the throne to satisfy his habits and his ego. It is estimated that he has 49 children out of wedlock.
  • June 1, 1794: [Mexico (NPC)] After 7 years in power, Emperor José III dies from syphilis as a result of his playboy lifestyle. His eldest son and heir to the throne disavows the title in favor of joining the priesthood leaving the 19-year-old Antonio to be crowned Emperor Antonio I. He is a weak leader who was likely homosexual. His trysts were known quietly throughout the innermost circles of the royal court. His wife María is said to have known about this and been silent to keep her station in the Empire of Mexico.
  • October 8, 1809: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Buenos Aires becomes the first city in Río de la Plata to revolt against Mexican rule, inciting a 15-year war throughout Río de la Plata and Peru for independence.
  • September 27, 1810: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Patriot forces succeed in capturing Asunción and, together with the newly-liberated peoples, form the United Provinces of South America.
  • November 6, 1813: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] South American troops capture Montevideo and thus expand the liberated areas to include the Territory of Banda Oriental. Santiago Alvarez, at the age of 27, is made a colonel and the head of the armed forces of the United Provinces.
  • March - November 1815: [Mexico (NPC)] The people of Mexico City rebel against the royal court and the aristocracy of the country. Amongst their biggest complaints is the deteriorating conditions in the city's infrastructure.
  • November 8, 1815: [Mexico (NPC)] Colonel Pablo Nieto of the Mexican Army launches a coup against Emperor Antonio I. He is deposed from power and sent into exile along with his wife María. The couple's only son - who historians believe may not have been fathered by Antonio, is installed as Emperor of Mexico. Emperor Pedro I shares the same name as Emperor Antonio I's highest-ranking aide, fueling the speculation that he is the child of Pedro de Jiménez and María Pons. Like his supposed father, Emperor Pedro I is just 19 years old when he is crowned Emperor of Mexico.
  • Early Winter - Summer 1816: [Mexico (NPC)] The Mexican National Police and the Mexican Army suppresses the people's revolt in Mexico City but at great cost to the regime. Independence movements begin to erupt throughout the territories of Mexico, primarily in the Caribbean.
  • August 19, 1817: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Colonel Francisco Rodríguez of Chile assists the South American troops in the Siege of Santiago, which forces Mexican troops to withdraw from its stronghold in Chile. The fall of Santiago thereby ensures the United Provinces of South America access to both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Over the next two years, there are repeated but failed Mexican attempts originating in Peru to re-establish control of Chile. After much debate, the conclusion was that peace in the United Provinces would only be possible if Peru was also liberated.
  • October 1819: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] South American troops, having secured the oasis town of Pica in the Atacama Desert, suffer serious losses as it attempts to invade Peru. It becomes clear that the difficult task of invading by land will not work and strategy shifts to a seemingly quixotic naval invasion of Peru. Efforts begin to recruit thousands more men from both coasts and hinterlands to join the military.
  • August 7, 1821: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] South American troops defeat the Mexican Navy in the Battle of Arica. This major victory for the United Provinces allows South American troops to establish a foothold on Peruvian soil for the first time.
  • June 11, 1822: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] South American troops defeat the Mexican Navy in the Battle of Paita, thereby securing a base of operations north of Lima, cutting off Mexican troops in Peru from reinforcements from Mexico.
  • April 13, 1823: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] After the Battle of Callao, during which the United Provinces decisively defeats the Mexican Navy, the United Provinces launch a full assault on Lima. The Siege of Lima concludes with South American troops marching into the city centre and declaring all of Peru liberated.
  • Summer 1824 - Autumn 1835: [Mexico (NPC)] Over the course of 11 years, the Caribbean states of the Empire of Mexico break off to form independent entities. As a result of his lack of experience, Emperor Pedro I commits blunder after blunder during this period. The Caribbean states ultimately form a loose confederation named the Confederation of Caribbean Communities in an effort to pool their resources. The loss of the Caribbean states shrinks the size of the Empire of Mexico by a little over 900,000 mi² (233,000 km²). In doing so, the country loses many of its trading ports and its military control over the Caribbean Sea.
  • August 30, 1824: [Evangelium, Mexico (NPC)] Two days after the Capture of Charcas by South American troops, General Santiago Alvarez announces the completion of the War of Liberation against the Empire of Mexico. This date becomes the official Day of Independence for Tawantin.
  • Late Winter 1835: [Mexico (NPC)] Seeing the breakaway of the Caribbean states of the Empire of Mexico, independence movements begin to rear their heads throughout every remaining part of the country. Through heavy-handed tactics, the Mexican government stomps many of these into the ground but this only legitimizes the movements in the eyes of the people and they begin to grow over time.
Last edited by Layarteb on Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Earth II Moderator | Earth II Discord | Member of The October Alliance
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •
• The Empire of Columbia •

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:55 pm

Some notes from our discussions:

• [Grand California] Grand California becomes independent in 1850 and does so via invasion with Columbia's help and seizes Baja California & Sur (What extent of the currently GC territory did Mexico control, probably not all of it?)
  • [Mexico] Benito I rises from the dead and is Emperor in 1845 after dying in 1693 (We'll certainly fix this.)
  • [Evangelium] Columbians in SE Santa Cruz: due to coffee crops being destroyed in the early 19th century, many immigrated to Santa Cruz to start coffee plantations; in the 1980s, some could also emigrate due to the Columbian Civil War (Doubt there's any reason for a "No" but the "Columbian Civil War" looks very different and is less a civil war and more like Euromaiden so perhaps they just immigrated for whatever other reasons.)
  • [Evangelium] Texans in Rio de la Plata: many who were disaffected with breaking away from Mexico emigrated to Rio de la Plata to continue a lifestyle/culture similar to what they had (GC?)
  • [Evangelium] Filipinos in major cities in NE Santa Cruz: fleeing violence or instability due to the war (1860-1870s) and due to the demand for labour with the decrease in slavery in Santa Cruz (Philippines needs a total rewrite after the announcement so nothing is off of the table, no issues with them coming whatsoever, the reasons might not be the same or they might be, we can work out whatever)
  • [Layarteb] Slave wars? When did they start?
  • [Layarteb] When did Columbia conquer the islands in the Caribbean?
  • [Layarteb] When did relations sour between Mexico & Columbia? (probably right away?)
  • [Evangelium] When does Columbia recognize independence? (probably right away?)
Last edited by Layarteb on Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Earth II Moderator | Earth II Discord | Member of The October Alliance
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •
• The Empire of Columbia •

Evangelium
Secretary

Founded: Jul 23, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Evangelium » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:17 pm

Here are my (current) updates to replace anything existing in the pre-1850 canon:

[*]15,000 BC: [Evangelium] Hunter-gatherers arrive in the coastal area of the Andean region.
[*]12,500 BC: [Evangelium] Humans begin to inhabit the Amazon Basin.
[*]8000 BC: [Evangelium] The first evidence of organized agriculture appears on the coast of Peru.
[*]5600 BC: [Evangelium] The first evidence of pottery appears in the Amazon Basin, but would not reach the Andean region until 1800 BC.
[*]4700 BC: [Evangelium] The first permanent human settlement is established on the coast of Peru.
[*]3500 BC: [Evangelium] The Caral civilization becomes the first complex society to emerge in the Andes. Evidence of domesticating animals for food and transport also arises around this time.
[*]1000 BC: [Evangelium] The Tupi-Guarini civilizations migrate out of the Amazon over the next millennium to coastal areas and south into Paraguay.
[*]1200: [Evangelium] The Kingdom of Cusco is founded, uniting the former Tiwanaku and Wari Empires.
[*]1438: [Evangelium] The Union of Tawantin (retrospectively referred to as the "First Empire") is established by Sapa Inca Pachacuti, who greatly expanded the territories of the former Kingdom of Cusco with his son.
[*]1485: [Evangelium] Madeiran explorers, departing from Funchal, establish a permanent settlement in Guinea.
[*]December 25, 1493: [Evangelium] Funchalan explorers discover the island of Natal (Navidad) and subsequently the islands of Santos Inocentes, São (Santo) Tomás, and Prepúcio Sagrado (Santo Prepucio). Collectively, they become referred to as the Biafra Islands. A permanent settlement is established in 1514.
[*]April 1517: [Evangelium] Biafran explorers first arrive on the shores of Santa Cruz, but would not begin immigrating until 1551.
[*]April 1548: [Evangelium] Sevillan explorers cross the Panama isthmus and arrive on the shores of the former Incan city of Tumbes to discover the Incan civilization embroiled in a deadly civil war and plagued by an epidemic.
[*]November 1549: [Evangelium] Sevillan soldiers assist in the end of the Incan Civil War and are thus widely seen as liberators. The new Sapa Inca Manqu II continues using the Sevillans to suppress any remnants of his opposition in exchange for vast amounts of precious metals and permission to retain their Christian faith. Informal trade begins with Spain.
[*]1550s: [Evangelium] Sevillan immigrants establish settlements in Charcas (1554) and Chile (1556) while Gaditanian explorers establish settlements in Paraguay (1553) and Río de la Plata (1593). They bring with them Jesuit missionaries (having first arrived in Peru in 1552), who establish reducciones for the education and often protection of the indigenous peoples. Those converting to Christianity at the reducciones could not be enslaved.
[*]July 1567: [Evangelium] Manuel Alcântara leads the Biafran settlers in defeating an indigenous attack against São Salvador da Bahia. The residents in the various settlements up and down the coast acclaim him as their leader, and they collectively form the Principality of Santa Cruz.
[*]January 1575: [Evangelium, Layarteb, Grand California] A formal trade route is established between Lima, Mexico, and Spain through Panama or Cartagena and the Caribbean.
[*]November 1579: [Evangelium, Grand California] Regular trade between Tawantin and East Asia is established via Mexico.
[*]June 1586: [Evangelium] Manqu II, the last member of the Incan ruling dynasty, dies. Martín Macías becomes the first half-Incan emperor at the age of 35. Emperor Martín establishes the Second Empire of Tawantin and declares Roman Catholicism to be the state religion. His reign is also marked by 1) the expansion of the empire into Charcas and the Atlantic coast, 2) the fortification of the expansive lands of the new empire, 3) the adoption of the Gregorian calendar (October 5-14 do not exist in 1595), 4) land reforms that introduce the hacienda system, which grants tracts of land owned by the Crown on behalf of the indigenous peoples mostly to Catholic clergy to manage, 5) the establishment of secular reducciones and continuation of the Incan tribute system, and 6) the establishment of the Office of the Protector of the Indians. His reign also results in a massive influx of immigration from Spain into Tawantin.
[*]October 1586: [Evangelium, -Greater Eurasian Union-] The Empire of Tawantin establishes formal diplomatic relations with Hispania.
[*]1590-1595: [Evangelium] The South Sea Armada, based in Lima, is established to fight piracy along the Panama-Peru trade route, although the fleet also patrolled the Mexico-Peru and Peru-Chile routes.
[*]November 1590: [Evangelium, Grand California] The Empire of Tawantin establishes formal diplomatic relations with the Empire of Mexico.
[*]September 1593: [Evangelium] Prince Duarte of Santa Cruz (son of Prince Manuel) dies. His eldest daughter, Empress Maria of Tawantin, becomes the Princess Regnant of Santa Cruz, thereby uniting Santa Cruz to Tawantin. This marks the beginning of the rapid exploration and settlement of Santa Cruz and the development of a joint navy in the Atlantic to combat piracy. Santacrucian landowners increasingly turn to importing slaves through Biafra for agricultural and mining purposes.
[*]1595-1600: [Evangelium, Layarteb] The North Sea Armada, based in Havana, is established to ensure the safe passage of trade ships between Havana-Panama and Havana-Cartagena.
[*]November 3, 1612: [Evangelium] Emperor Martín dies, and his eldest living son, Juan, is crowned Emperor at the age of 35.
[*]January 29, 1624: [Evangelium, Grand California] The Mexican Navy attacks a vessel of the North Sea Armada docked in Havana, which forces Emperor Juan to renounce his late father's policy of neutrality and declare war on the Empire of Mexico.
[*] October 30, 1624: [Evangelium, Grand California] Tawantin and Mexico conclude the Treaty of Havana, in which Tawantin concedes defeat, agrees to remove its navy from the Caribbean (North Sea), and assist Mexico in the invasion of Cundinamarca. Mexico agrees to guarantee the safe passage of Tawantinian civilian ships traveling to and from Havana and to safeguard Tawantinian merchants and goods transiting through Cundinamarca.
[*]June 13, 1632: [Evangelium] Princess Maria splits the northern half of her principality into the Governorate of Marañón to be administered by her youngest brother, Alexandre from São João (later moving to Santa Maria de Belém), while her other brother, Rainerio, administers the Governorate of Santa Cruz from Salvador.
[*]March 10, 1637: [Evangelium] Emperor Juan dies without legitimate heirs and his youngest brother, Francisco, inherits the throne at the age of 47.
[*]August 29, 1649: [Evangelium, Grand California] Emperor Francisco signs the Treaty of Lima to merge the Empire of Tawantin into the Empire of Mexico as the Viceroyalty of Peru. He abdicates as emperor, swears allegiance to Emperor Hector I, and is appointed the first Viceroy of Peru. To secure the support of the Tawantinians, Hector I declares that tributes from the indigenous could no longer be goods and must be labour. Authorities also begin to capture indigenous in Peru to be enslaved in other parts of the Mexican Empire.
[*]October 12, 1649: [Evangelium] Upon hearing that Emperor Francisco had abdicated, Rainerio and Alexandre declare that he nullified the union of Tawantin and Santa Cruz. Thus, the Principality of Santa Cruz and Principality of Marañón become independent when Tawantin joins Mexico.
[*]November 21, 1649: [Evangelium, Grand California] The Archbishop of La Plata o Charcas arrives in Mexico City to deliver to Emperor Hector I a set of demands for establishing a Bill of Rights for Indigenous Peoples largely in response to the resurgence of the encomienda system of forced labour and high tribute taxes.
[*]February 26, 1650: [Evangelium, Grand California] Emperor Hector I abolishes the Peruvian administrative office "Protector of the Indians" and nominates a Mexican as the next Archbishop of La Plata o Charcas. His nephew, Emperor Benito I, will continue this policy resulting in all bishops in Peru being Mexicans within a generation.
[*]March 1660: [Evangelium, -Greater Eurasian Union-] The Principality of Santa Cruz and the Principality of Marañón establish formal diplomatic relations and trade routes with Hispania.
[*]Early Winter 1719 - Summer 1744: [Evangelium, Grand California] All encomiendas in Peru are gradually dismantled under the reforms of Emperor Carlos II. As haciendas begin to take on increasing prominence in the economy, former encomenderos grow more frustrated at the Mexican government and hacendados.
[*]October 8, 1741: [Evangelium, Grand California] Emperor Carlos II promulgates a policy that all government leaders in Peru must be from Mexico. There was growing unrest and discontent in Peru since the Emperor began to liberalize the social order. Appointing only Mexican officials to Peru ensures that he can control the government’s messaging, monitor all discontent, and suppress unrest more effectively when it arises.
[*]October - December 1741: [Evangelium, Grand California] Protests spring up throughout Peru. The local population opposes the newest reform policy regarding the place of origin of government officials. Catholic clergy, including those loyal to Mexico, continue to protest vehemently the so-called "religious freedom" law.
[*]December 25, 1741: [Evangelium, Grand California] Local police arrest the Archbishop of Lima after celebrating his final Christmas Mass that day for inciting riots against the government and is charged with treason. He is executed the next day. Similar arrests and charges are conducted against a handful of bishops and priests throughout Peru the following two days.
[*]December 28, 1741: [Evangelium, Grand California] Local police arrest Father Roque Olmedo del Castillo in Ayacucho. Indigenous townspeople attempt to stop the arrest and nearly overwhelm the police before they fire into the mob. This act of violence causes more indigenous to retaliate, and by the end of the day, 144 indigenous men, women, and children had been massacred.
[*]Early Winter 1742: [Evangelium, Grand California] Indigenous revolts spread throughout Peru, which are all suppressed by the Mexican military leaving thousands dead, including Catholic clergy participating in these revolts.
[*]February 6, 1742: [Evangelium, Grand California] Emperor Carlos II declares that Peru will be governed by officers of the Mexican military and restricts the movements and activities of the Catholic clergy.
[*]December 4, 1758: [Evangelium, Grand California] A group of students at the Jesuit University of Cusco protest the new Constitution because they view these reforms as demeaning the sanctity of the monarchy by giving too much power to the mob and believe that Freemasons had infiltrated the highest levels of government. The Church hierarchy begins to prohibit Catholics from participating in the structures of government, including elections or obeying the laws passed by the independent legislature.
[*]September 3, 1759: [Evangelium, Grand California] Emperor Carlos II declares that the Crown will seize all properties of the Society of Jesus and all Jesuits shall be arrested and deported from Mexico, the effects of which were felt throughout the educational system and rural missions of Peru. The Church hierarchy ceases public criticism of the government, but in practice, nearly all Catholics in Peru continue to not participate in elections and to resist the implementation of new laws passively. For the next 50 years, periodic revolts occur throughout Peru, all of which are suppressed by the Mexican military and government officials.
[*]August 1, 1779: [Evangelium, Grand California] Emperor Carlos II establishes the Viceroyalty of Río de la Plata taken from the southern half of the territory of the Viceroyalty of Peru as an excuse to nearly double the number of government officials he can appoint to impose his rule in Peru. A small band of intellectuals, militia, and tradesmen begin to organize resistance, traveling away from Peru into the sparsely populated areas of Río de la Plata to escape imperial surveillance.
[*]March 11, 1781: [Evangelium, Grand California] The Principality of Santa Cruz gifts the Biafra Islands to the Empire of Mexico as a goodwill offering in exchange for promises of non-aggression militarily and economically. Mexico accepts the gift as part of the Viceroyalty of Río de la Plata, and its military soon annexes the coastal areas of the mainland of Africa closest to the Biafra Islands to expand its slave trade network.
[*]February 10, 1794: [Evangelium] Clemente Alcântara assumes governance of Santa Cruz after his father, the Prince of Santa Cruz, suffers a debilitating stroke. He accepts the title of Duke Regent in 1800.
[*]1805-1830: [Evangelium, Layarteb] Columbians, who lost their coffee crops, immigrate to Santa Cruz where they start tea plantations.
[*]April 18, 1808: [Evangelium, Layarteb] After nearly eight years of increasing conflict, the Principality of Santa Cruz begins formal negotiations with the Republic of Columbia to resolve maritime disputes around the slave trade.
[*]January 22, 1809: [Evangelium] After the death of his father-in-law, the Prince of Marañón, the previous month, Duke Regent Clemente establishes the Kingdom of Santa Cruz as a composite monarchy with the former Principality of Marañón, over which his wife now reigns. He is thus titled the King of Santa Cruz.
[*]October 8, 1809: [Evangelium, Grand California] Buenos Aires becomes the first city in Río de la Plata to revolt against Mexican rule, inciting a 15-year war throughout Río de la Plata and Peru for independence.
[*]September 27, 1810: [Evangelium, Grand California] Patriot forces succeed in capturing Asunción and, together with the newly-liberated peoples, form the United Provinces of South America.
[*]January 1, 1811: [Evangelium, Layarteb] Formal diplomatic relations are established between the United Provinces and Columbia.
[*]September 9, 1811: [Evangelium, Layarteb] The Kingdom of Santa Cruz and the Republic of Columbia sign the Treaty of Saint Helena, which requires Santa Cruz to devise a plan to gradually abolish the slave trade in return for the Columbia Navy leaving Santacrucian vessels alone. Santa Cruz agrees to limit the unloading of slave ships to specifically designated ports as a first step.
[*]November 6, 1813: [Evangelium, Grand California] South American troops capture Montevideo and thus expand the liberated areas to include the Territory of Banda Oriental. Santiago Álvarez, at the age of 27, is made a colonel and the head of the armed forces of the United Provinces.
[*]November 4, 1816: [Evangelium, Layarteb] Santa Cruz and Columbia mutually agree to amend the Treaty of Saint Helena such that Belém, São João, and Fortaleza are excluded from the list of designated ports and the sale of slaves north of the 5th parallel south is outlawed.
[*]August 19, 1817: [Evangelium, Grand California] Colonel Francisco Rodríguez of Chile assists the South American troops in the Siege of Santiago, which forces Mexican troops to withdraw from its stronghold in Chile. The fall of Santiago thereby ensures the United Provinces of South America access to both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Over the next two years, there are repeated but failed Mexican attempts originating in Peru to re-establish control of Chile. After much debate, the conclusion was that peace in the United Provinces would only be possible if Peru was also liberated.
[*]September 9, 1818: [Evangelium, Layarteb] Out of a concern that Santa Cruz was not enforcing the treaty’s terms, Columbia pressures Santa Cruz to sign the Treaty of Fortaleza, which permits the navies of Columbia and Santa Cruz to board any ship from the other nation suspected of engaging in illegal slave trade north of the 5th parallel south (including those departing from African ports above this parallel). Those working on ships caught illegally trading would be tried in a joint tribunal in Rio de Janeiro consisting of judges from both countries, the slaves would be returned to the port of departure, and all assets aboard would be seized by the government of the ship's country of registration.
[*]October 1819: [Evangelium, Grand California] South American troops, having secured the oasis town of Pica in the Atacama Desert, suffer serious losses as it attempts to invade Peru. It becomes clear that the difficult task of invading by land will not work, and strategy shifts to a seemingly quixotic naval invasion of Peru.
[*]October 1819 - April 1823: [Evangelium, -Greater Eurasian Union-] The Hispanian Navy assists the United Provinces in building an indigenous naval force and fighting the Mexican Navy.
[*]August 7, 1821: [Evangelium, Grand California] South American troops defeat the Mexican Navy in the Battle of Arica. This major victory for the United Provinces allows South American troops to establish a foothold on Peruvian soil for the first time.
[*]April 25, 1822: [Evangelium] King Clemente falls gravely ill, and his son, Prince Pedro takes over as Prince Regent.
[*]June 11, 1822: [Evangelium, Grand California] South American troops defeat the Mexican Navy in the Battle of Paita, thereby securing a base of operations north of Lima, cutting off Mexican troops in Peru from reinforcements from Mexico.
[*]April 13, 1823: [Evangelium, Grand California] After the Battle of Callao, during which the United Provinces decisively defeats the Mexican Navy, the United Provinces launch a full assault on Lima. The Siege of Lima concludes with South American troops marching into the city centre and declaring all of Peru liberated.
[*]October 12, 1823: [Evangelium] The Empire of Santa Cruz is established with Clemente as its first emperor until his death in 1826. Simultaneously, the royal House of São Cristóvão is founded with Empress Carolina as its inaugural head until her death in 1830. Prince Regent Pedro continues to exercise de facto rule.
[*]August 30, 1824: [Evangelium, Grand California] Two days after the Capture of Charcas by South American troops, General Santiago Álvarez announces the completion of the War of Liberation against the Empire of Mexico. This date becomes the official Day of Independence for Tawantin.
[*]October 8, 1824: [Evangelium] Two African territories join Santa Cruz as the Overseas Territory of Ndongo and the Overseas Territory of Guinea.
[*]December 9, 1824 – August 30, 1825: [Evangelium] Representatives from the four regions of the United Provinces (Peru, Charcas, Chile, and Río de la Plata) gather in Charcas to create laws that govern the newly-created Third Empire of Tawantin, a unitary, hereditary monarchy governed by the Emperor and Archbishop of Lima. The Prime Minister and the 16-member Imperial Council advise the Emperor. It comprises four kingdoms, each overseen by a governor-general, which is further divided into provinces. Each kingdom organizes its own militia. The Office of the Inquisition is also established to suppress all non-Catholic religions and heterodoxy among the non-indigenous population. The slave trade is also outlawed, although owning slaves is still legal.
[*]May 3, 1825: [Evangelium] The Archbishop of Lima crowns Captain General Santiago Alvarez as Martín II, Emperor of Tawantin.
[*]September 9, 1829: [Evangelium, Layarteb] Emperor Pedro I concludes the Treaty of Rio de Janeiro with Columbia and formally outlaws the slave trade, superseding and abrogating the Treaties of Saint Helena and Fortaleza. This treaty also establishes formal diplomatic relations between Santa Cruz and Columbia.
[*]January 1, 1840: [Evangelium] Slavery is formally outlawed in Tawantin due to a law recognizing human personhood beginning at conception.
[*]December 10, 1845: [Evangelium, Layarteb] Columbia issues a notice of non-compliance to Pedro II, warning him that Columbia would resume taking unilateral actions to enforce the Treaty of Rio de Janeiro if Santa Cruz could not provide evidence of self-enforcement in the next six months.
[*]May 21, 1846: [Evangelium] Pedro II of Santa Cruz concludes touring southern Santa Cruz by traveling up to Asunción to meet with Martín II of Tawantin. The two establish formal diplomatic relations after Pedro assures that he would outlaw the slave trade in his country, which he does later that year.
[*]November 24, 1848: [Evangelium, Layarteb] Crown Prince Sebastián witnesses the deadly rioting in Havana as part of the liberal revolutions spreading throughout the region. This experience causes him to return with his family to Tawantin and abandon his campaign to change Tawantin from an absolute monarchy into a constitutional monarchy.
[*]1849-1850: [Evangelium] Tawantin celebrates the Silver Jubilee of Martín II. During this time, Mexican Emperor Juan I arrives in Tawantin to sign the Treaty of Cuzco, which formally ends the Mexican-Tawantinian War, resumes normal trade relations, and establishes diplomatic relations between the two nations. The Treaty of Cuzco also formally hands over the Territory of Biafra to Tawantin.
Last edited by Evangelium on Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 12 times in total.
If you're interested in the longest-running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
A Homeland for the People | As the Music Swells | The Bicentennial Threat

Return to International Incidents