NATION

PASSWORD

Southern Sea Alliance (TWI Only, Planning)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 10, 2022
Ex-Nation

Southern Sea Alliance (TWI Only, Planning)

Postby Valhapia » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:47 am

This RP is only for those who are part of The Western Isles and on the regional map, specifically in the Southern Sea region.

This thread is meant as a planning, and eventual OOC thread for the Southern Sea Alliance, a loose alliance between nations in the Southern Sea region of the Western Isles.

Currently, the plan for how the alliance will work looks something like this: The main body of the alliance is the Southern Sea Assembly, which would serve as a forum for general regional issues. The alliance also has 4 councils for special issues: the Council for Military Affairs, which would cover war, insurgency, terrorism, and the effects of it within the region, the Council for Economic Affairs, which would cover economic crises like recessions, inflation, and supply chain issues, the Council for Interregional Affairs, which would deal with the alliance's relationship with other regions, and the Council for Admission, which would admit new members to the alliance. Within the current framework, each council would have a chairman, which would rotate every month to nations by date of admission.

This alliance is supposed to have no binding power or power of enforcement over other nations, but is instead like the modern United Nations, where nations can discuss issues.

Aeteros
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 05, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Aeteros » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:44 am

It would be kinda funny if Aeteros was at the head of the Council for Military Affairs since it is actively being devastated by terrorism
Last edited by Aeteros on Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

East Lankia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 10, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby East Lankia » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:53 am

I’m still down to join.
NS Stats are NOT CANON

Name: East Lankia
Population: 10.4 Million
Capital City: New Toron
National Language: French
Leader: Jackson Rodgers

National News: - Congress passes new Law, allowing for the Government to spend a now $800 Billion Dollars on Infrastructure - Schools to soon Close for Winter Break, children Excited, parents not so much.

The Canuerines
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 28, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Canuerines » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:28 pm

seems cool, could be head of Council for Interregional Affairs, but idk really how this is all gonna pan out. Could also revive the RP for San Javier or do something with san maria

Rehaajl
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 20, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Rehaajl » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:07 pm

i could be the head of Economic Affairs, my country is trying to fix the economy.
Yes, my nation might be very communist, but hey, at least I haven't want to war with another nation!

Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Valhapia » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:13 pm

So, for the heads of each Council, I'm thinking that they would be elected by the Assembly, and the Chairman of the Assembly would be a rotating position between each nation. What do you guys think?

Kuwarkiistan
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 08, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Kuwarkiistan » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:56 pm

I think that it could be similar to the UN security council where there are main members that are always there(generally some of the stronger countries) and then other countries are switched in and out on a rotation.
Last edited by Kuwarkiistan on Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Valhapia » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:56 pm

Kuwarkiistan wrote:I think that it could be similar to the UN security council where there are main members that are always there(generally some of the stronger countries) and then other countries are switched in and out on a rotation.

I think that could be a good idea, where we have a few members on each Council appointed by the Assembly, then have a few others by rotation

East Lankia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby East Lankia » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:38 am

Valhapia wrote:
Kuwarkiistan wrote:I think that it could be similar to the UN security council where there are main members that are always there(generally some of the stronger countries) and then other countries are switched in and out on a rotation.

I think that could be a good idea, where we have a few members on each Council appointed by the Assembly, then have a few others by rotation

Just saying, I’m pretty sure I’m one of the stronger countries of the Southern Sea.
NS Stats are NOT CANON

National News: - Congress passes new Law, allowing for the Government to spend a now $800 Billion Dollars on Infrastructure - Schools to soon Close for Winter Break, children Excited, parents not so much.

New Aapelistan
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aapelistan » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:27 pm

So, good day all. Pardon me for not replying the telegram you sent Valhapia, been busy in real life and had a long time slump of interest in Nationstates but now actively trying to get back to this.

What you have suggested is a good start for all, but I have a few issues here.

1. The name of the organization

Now in all honesty, the "Southern Sea Alliance" brings only one thing to my mind and that is a military alliance or a defense organization and not a loose organization of states in a specific geographic region, like this organization is supposed to be. For the name of the organization, I would suggest something along the line of "Organization of Southern Sea Unity" or "Organization of Southern Sea States".

2. The Southern Seas Assembly

Is this an African Parliament or an European Parliament type of body of the organization? Or a periodical meeting of the heads of states of the organization, akin to the Organization of African Unity summits, which occured yearly. I would propose the second, as the primary organ of a loose international organization being an elected assembly, elected from the member states, doesn't really in my opinion make much sense.

3. The Council for Admission

Why have a council for admitting new member states, equal in standing to other councils? Why not have the main organ to handle a relatively uncommon event?

4. Rotation of the posts

I can see this as a way for more activity per member in an OOC sense but in all honesty, one month is a short time. I'd see as the best middle way between OOC and realism as being six months.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisat ... ican_Unity

In all honesty, I think there would be some benefit in using the OAU as a template here.
Last edited by New Aapelistan on Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Valhapia » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:30 pm

New Aapelistan wrote:1. The name of the organization

Now in all honesty, the "Southern Sea Alliance" brings only one thing to my mind and that is a military alliance or a defense organization and not a loose organization of states in a specific geographic region, like this organization is supposed to be. For the name of the organization, I would suggest something along the line of "Organization of Southern Sea Unity" or "Organization of Southern Sea States".

I didn't care too much about the name, honestly Organization of Southern Sea States sounds better because it reminds me of the Organization of American States, so it fits better

New Aapelistan wrote:2. The Southern Seas Assembly

Is this an African Parliament or an European Parliament type of body of the organization? Or a periodical meeting of the heads of states of the organization, akin to the Organization of African Unity summits, which occured yearly. I would propose the second, as the primary organ of a loose international organization being an elected assembly, elected from the member states, doesn't really in my opinion make much sense.

I suppose I didn't really elaborate on my plans for this. The delegates from each nation would not be elected, rather appointed by their national governments. It is meant to be similar to the UN General Assembly, hence the name. Perhaps we could have a once-a-year "Conference of Southern Sea Heads of State," but ideally those heads of state would be too busy to deal with the organization all the time, so it would be left to delegates.

New Aapelistan wrote:3. The Council for Admission

Why have a council for admitting new member states, equal in standing to other councils? Why not have the main organ to handle a relatively uncommon event?

Yeah, that makes some more sense.

New Aapelistan wrote:4. Rotation of the posts

I can see this as a way for more activity per member in an OOC sense but in all honesty, one month is a short time. I'd see as the best middle way between OOC and realism as being six months.

This also makes more sense

New Aapelistan wrote:EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisat ... ican_Unity

In all honesty, I think there would be some benefit in using the OAU as a template here.

After looking over it, I agree. My aims for this organization are more along the lines of the Monrovia bloc, with it being a loose organization of cooperating states.

Kuwarkiistan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuwarkiistan » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:49 pm

New Aapelistan wrote:Is this an African Parliament or an European Parliament type of body of the organization? Or a periodical meeting of the heads of states of the organization, akin to the Organization of African Unity summits, which occured yearly. I would propose the second, as the primary organ of a loose international organization being an elected assembly, elected from the member states, doesn't really in my opinion make much sense.

I was thinking that the organization would be a loose alliance(Similar to the early version of your example the OAU) I believe this is something Valhapia has said already. I don't think that it should really have a way to enforce things, but instead the member nations would have to enforce the rules themselves. Other than that I think the there should be summits regularly (maybe at least once energy rotation of nations, so at least one every 6 months).

Aeteros
Bureaucrat

Postby Aeteros » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:38 pm

I am very interested in being a part of this organization but with exams coming up I will unfortunately have to be somewhat absent in the coming weeks, I hope to be able to work on this with everyone soon though!

Yemarnia
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 26, 2022
Ex-Nation

I'm here

Postby Yemarnia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:09 am

Hello, I am only posting to remind you all that i still exist and want to join.

New Aapelistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aapelistan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Kuwarkiistan wrote:
New Aapelistan wrote:Is this an African Parliament or an European Parliament type of body of the organization? Or a periodical meeting of the heads of states of the organization, akin to the Organization of African Unity summits, which occured yearly. I would propose the second, as the primary organ of a loose international organization being an elected assembly, elected from the member states, doesn't really in my opinion make much sense.

I was thinking that the organization would be a loose alliance(Similar to the early version of your example the OAU) I believe this is something Valhapia has said already. I don't think that it should really have a way to enforce things, but instead the member nations would have to enforce the rules themselves. Other than that I think the there should be summits regularly (maybe at least once energy rotation of nations, so at least one every 6 months).

Oh I am aware that it would be a loose international organization. The question that you had quoted me there was a question regarding the assembly; would it consist of appointed members (PAP) or members who are voted in member countries (EP) or something in between.

In regards to all this, for the organization here, I would suggest a structure akin to this;

(names are set in stone, just using them to refer to the proposed organs)

1. Organization of Southern Sea States Summit

A biannual or annual meeting of the heads of states/governments that acts as the main deliberative organ of the organization. The Summit is headed by a Chairman, a rotating role, with the country of the Chairman being the country where said summit would be held. As the main deliberative organ, the Summit would be the organ to vote on the accession of a new member, negotiate on major issues in the subregion at the time and "work towards increased interconnectivity and cooperation between member states".

The reason I stated heads of states or heads of governments is because it depends on individual countries which one in the end they would send. To me the "more powerful" executive would make sense but with presidential democracies, parliamentary democracies and so on, it would depend on the state in question. For example, as a semi-presidential state, Aprosia would send its president to the summits.

Now depending on the situation, I would imagine there to be the potential for extraordinary summits due to affairs or events which require the attention of the member states.

2. Councils of the Organization of Southern Seas States

I did think about having a general assembly below the Summit but in the grand scheme of things, it seemed pointless, so to streamline things, this is here where all those individual but equal councils would be, for affairs such as economic cooperation and integration, military affairs, cultural exchange et cetera. Each council would be headed by a Chairman, again on a rotating basis, for a tenure of a period of time.

Now again, in all honesty, the councils would not really be that significant. The only purpose I'd see for them is to prepare agreements in their fields, in general promote for greater cooperation in their fields and to gather information on their fields from the member states.

Considering the geography of the sub-region and the relative strength of this organization, I personally can't come up with other councils other than one for economic cooperation and integration, one for military affairs and one for cultural exchange between member states.

In addition...

Southern Seas Development Bank

Now quite an obvious choice here. Depending if the organization was founded in the past or would be founded in 2022/2023, I would imagine this to be one of the first things established by the Organization. All the noble goals of reducing poverty, increasing economic growth and all that.

Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Valhapia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:44 pm

New Aapelistan wrote:
Kuwarkiistan wrote:

Oh I am aware that it would be a loose international organization. The question that you had quoted me there was a question regarding the assembly; would it consist of appointed members (PAP) or members who are voted in member countries (EP) or something in between.

In regards to all this, for the organization here, I would suggest a structure akin to this;

(names are set in stone, just using them to refer to the proposed organs)

1. Organization of Southern Sea States Summit

A biannual or annual meeting of the heads of states/governments that acts as the main deliberative organ of the organization. The Summit is headed by a Chairman, a rotating role, with the country of the Chairman being the country where said summit would be held. As the main deliberative organ, the Summit would be the organ to vote on the accession of a new member, negotiate on major issues in the subregion at the time and "work towards increased interconnectivity and cooperation between member states".

The reason I stated heads of states or heads of governments is because it depends on individual countries which one in the end they would send. To me the "more powerful" executive would make sense but with presidential democracies, parliamentary democracies and so on, it would depend on the state in question. For example, as a semi-presidential state, Aprosia would send its president to the summits.

Now depending on the situation, I would imagine there to be the potential for extraordinary summits due to affairs or events which require the attention of the member states.

2. Councils of the Organization of Southern Seas States

I did think about having a general assembly below the Summit but in the grand scheme of things, it seemed pointless, so to streamline things, this is here where all those individual but equal councils would be, for affairs such as economic cooperation and integration, military affairs, cultural exchange et cetera. Each council would be headed by a Chairman, again on a rotating basis, for a tenure of a period of time.

Now again, in all honesty, the councils would not really be that significant. The only purpose I'd see for them is to prepare agreements in their fields, in general promote for greater cooperation in their fields and to gather information on their fields from the member states.

Considering the geography of the sub-region and the relative strength of this organization, I personally can't come up with other councils other than one for economic cooperation and integration, one for military affairs and one for cultural exchange between member states.

In addition...

Southern Seas Development Bank
Now quite an obvious choice here. Depending if the organization was founded in the past or would be founded in 2022/2023, I would imagine this to be one of the first things established by the Organization. All the noble goals of reducing poverty, increasing economic growth and all that.

I think this is a pretty good framework for the alliance.

East Lankia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby East Lankia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:27 pm

I think we should have a Alliance wide currency, like how the EU has the Euro
NS Stats are NOT CANON

Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Valhapia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:53 pm

East Lankia wrote:I think we should have a Alliance wide currency, like how the EU has the Euro

that would go against the basic idea for the alliance, that it is a loose one. I am firmly against the adoption of a single currency

East Lankia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby East Lankia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:56 pm

Valhapia wrote:
East Lankia wrote:I think we should have a Alliance wide currency, like how the EU has the Euro

that would go against the basic idea for the alliance, that it is a loose one. I am firmly against the adoption of a single currency

Ok
NS Stats are NOT CANON

New Aapelistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aapelistan » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:22 am

Like Valhapia said above, it would go against the general idea of the organization. Not to mention that the European Union is quite a different beast. A single, unified currency requires a lot of work and not to mention, would you really want so many different economies as the Southern Seas has to have a single currency. It'd be a monetary mess to say the least.

Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Valhapia » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:03 pm

New Aapelistan wrote:

Like Valhapia said above, it would go against the general idea of the organization. Not to mention that the European Union is quite a different beast. A single, unified currency requires a lot of work and not to mention, would you really want so many different economies as the Southern Seas has to have a single currency. It'd be a monetary mess to say the least.

Not to mention it is very restrictive in a roleplay sense when you cannot unilaterally make monetary decisions

Kuwarkiistan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuwarkiistan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:22 pm

I think that we need a post on this forum that collects all of the decisions made about the alliance in a a single post so that we have a general understanding of where we are at in the current moment. Basically collecting all the information that was generally accepted by the forum and organize it so that we can better organize and more easily expand the alliance into actual rp in the future.

Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Valhapia » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:27 pm

Kuwarkiistan wrote:I think that we need a post on this forum that collects all of the decisions made about the alliance in a a single post so that we have a general understanding of where we are at in the current moment. Basically collecting all the information that was generally accepted by the forum and organize it so that we can better organize and more easily expand the alliance into actual rp in the future.

give me a few minutes

Valhapia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Valhapia » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:44 pm

Overall consensus: A loose alliance, with some specialized organs to deal with certain issues. No binding power over member states. The Assembly is the main decision-making body and the leader of it is a rotating position.

Some consensus: Admission is handled by the Assembly and not by a special council. Regular summits would be the backbone of the Assembly, with heads of state/government attending it to make decisions. Council leadership would rotate as well.

Shot down entirely: Alliance-wide currency

Aeteros
Bureaucrat

Postby Aeteros » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:26 pm

East Lankia wrote:
Valhapia wrote:that would go against the basic idea for the alliance, that it is a loose one. I am firmly against the adoption of a single currency

Ok

This could be a point of contention or debate IC if we wanted it to be
Last edited by Aeteros on Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents