NATION

PASSWORD

The Batrieng Affair [Closed | IC]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Hintuwan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
New York Times Democracy

The Batrieng Affair [Closed | IC]

Postby Hintuwan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:39 am

The Batrieng Affair

OOC

“Corruption is paid by the poor.”
— Pope Francis

Introduction:

The Commonwealth of Hintuwan presents itself as a democracy whose great families manage its lands for the people's benefit, with its chosen President in Chalet Rojo merely the first among equals. Yet the expansive, almost dictatorial powers those who hold his office have accumulated since the overthrow of the previous tyrant Cagalangan in the '80s contradict fictions so polite. One need not look any further than the army enforcing the power over the peasantry with an iron fist, or the policemen leaving behind them dissidents' empty homes to see how gripped the country continues to be by the word of its premier. All the while, the Commonwealth's would-be nobles masquerade as industrial capitalists, hire private armies, and lord over their fiefdoms in provinces scarcely attended-to by the central government: where God seems absent and Haijing far away. One has to wonder, does a dictator really rule Hintuwan? Or is the problem that his kumpares rule too much for him? Everyday - in the sleepy sun-soaked province of Tasikrong - the farmer, the foreman, the traffic-enforcer, the city councilor, the small business owner, and journalist ask themselves this very question as they watch another mass grave dug up from under the soil of the Mahadit Rainforest on their way to work while wondering whether the next breath they breathe will be their last.

Is it really paranoia when your own local government is actually out to get you? For nearly a decade, Batrieng political dynasty has installed family member after family member as governor under the ignorant eyes of the League of Christian-Muslim Constitutionalists (LCMC) - siphoning money from the public coffers to buy inland family-owned farms, which earned them bigger and bigger shares of the vibrant rubber tree industry which in time became (at least within the country) almost entirely exclusive to their dominion. This rubber was processed, packaged, and sent abroad through the port-city of Chico for consumption by the rubber-hungry militaries of the Southern Sea and The Western Isles - earning tariffs which of course were also funneled into personal bank accounts of the Batriengs through an assortment of money-laundering schemes devised by their allies in the national parliament. Some of these schemes involved setting up fake businesses in neighboring countries in the Southern Sea, and the Batriengs were not above bribing the occasional securities inspector or embassy-worker to acquire the necessary paperwork to do so. More money meant more available campaign funds, which of course, only precipitated the cycle.

For the most part all was going well for the Batriengs until December 2017, when their aggressive drive for even more inland territory led to armed confrontations between their military contractors and the local Abo-abuhan tribes - progenitors of the Hintuwan designated as indigenous peoples, whose lands were protected from being touched by humanitarian law. The Batriengs exerted their influence in Haijing once more, the laws were "re-interpreted" by the Supreme Court, and while a few Hintuwani citizens were outraged the fact was that there was simply very little they could do to affect the inevitable outcome. The Tasikrong Abo-abuhan may have begun waging a protracted war against the local government as a result of their maltreatment, but it would take more than that for the Batriengs to give up an empire took them so long and so much to achieve.

Trouble began in earnest on March 15th, 2021, when the dynasty's padre de pamilya Payakareik Batrieng was appointed Vice President by the Commonwealth's president Henry Theodore Bulalacao after the former's predecessor resigned due to health concerns. Payakareik, who was serving as Governor of Tasikrong at the time, was succeeded in his local post by his son-in-law - Tuapor Langpok - who at the time was serving as Vice Governor. While Langpok was a trusted friend of the family, his relationship with the Batriengs turned sour as soon almost as he assumed his new position. Langpok continued Payakareik Batrieng's governing policy and initially inherited the whole Tasikrong cabinet intact from his father-in-law who expected him to take his advice while running the provincial government; but Langpok soon grew frustrated with his father-in-law's control and thus began appointing officials who were more loyal to him than the Batrieng family.

During the opening ceremony of the newly-constructed Dr. Nathan Iskannom port of Pagagos on February 9th, 2022, Langpok criticized the national government for breaking its promise of building a new airport in Chico while Payakareik Batrieng was trying to deliver his own speech. Vice President Batrieng felt embarrassed by the action of his son-in-law and promptly walked out of the stage in the middle of his speech, which was reported by the press (who caught the entire scene on camera) as the sign of a growing rift between the local authorities in Tasikrong and the national government. The Hintuwani public, still reeling over the December 2021 Salampatihan Christmas Day attacks, promptly responded with fear, outrage, and panic. Fear of increased violence in an already blood-soaked corner of the Commonwealth. Outrage that people with such great responsibilities in government would put their petty squabbles over issues of national importance. Panic at the notion that the Abo-abuhan may seize the chaos to launch an offensive to take back their lost lands.

The schism has been dubbed by the papers as, "The Batrieng Affair".

The most recent development in the situation of this affair occurred on July 1st of this very year - in the morning of which the Attorney General of Hintuwan, Rambo Mozart Nankme, called a press conference announcing that its Quick Reaction Unit (QRU) has taken into protective custody a whistleblower designated Witness F who possesses sufficient enough evidence implicating the Batriengs as perpetrators of a crime empire to warrant an independent investigation by the Office of the Attorney General. If the allegations are proven true, they could endanger the careers of dozens if not hundreds of public officials both at home and across the Western Isles - attachés, businessmen, and private individuals who may have either knowingly or unknowingly participated in what the Batriengs had been instigating all these years. Though Langpok has been silent about his in-law's criminal activities, many speculate he will scapegoat his wife's family at the first chance he gets. If these allegations disappear on the other hand, the Batriengs will spare no traitor from the carnage they will almost certainly unleash.

Whichever the case, one thing is for certain: there is something very wrong with Hintuwan. While ordinary citizens go about their day, paramilitary activities target members of the indigenous people's community, financial crimes go unnoticed, and suspicious activities take place in foreign embassies. The players in this game, in which the pawns are the lives of innocent people, are evidently interested in Hintuwan for something, or perhaps something greater than the Commonwealth itself. Which of them will prevail and which of them will be exposed to protect the interests of the other players, only time will tell.

Roleplay Rules:

- You must state your intentions in the OOC, be a member of The Western Isles, and have a spot on the map in order to participate.

- No godmodding.

- OP's word is law.
Last edited by Hintuwan on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
RP Music

RPs I'm In
(1) (2)
  • Long live all the republics of the world! May justice and liberty prevail throughout the world!
14 Mar 2024 | ✉  Radio Free Hintuwan    Now Playing - Do You Hear the People Sing? (Filipino)   Economy shows signs of recovery

Hintuwan
Chargé d'Affaires

New York Times Democracy

Postby Hintuwan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 am

August 3, 2022
Bulwagang Batasan (Hall of Laws), Haijing

"—you know, you security officers out there - you should always be bringing your department together with the police, so that coordination is made easier. So that there's no distrust. So that incidents like this do not happen. Speaking as a former policeman I know for a fact from my contacts, that there are false and ill-intentioned rumors being spread among the security commanders that the police leadership is corrupt and doesn't know what it is doing. At the same time there are similarly ill-intentioned rumors from inside the police that all security personnel are just loyal to their boss, that they are corrupt. When that happens - everyone loses. The Hintuwani people especially. That's why you need to reconcile your departments. So that this does not happen again."

Severo Malatang shot a reprehensive glare at the subject of the inquiry as a deafening silence from the other MPs spoke volumes of approval for the dressing-down that was taking place.

This brief tranquility was swiftly broken by another member of the House Committee on Public Order and Safety, with a question:

"If it's true that Officer Demawe, according to your testimony - snuck a rifle into the café with the sole intention of killing Mr. Dimaunahan for leaking information about the Vice President to Governor Langpok - then why did he have to shoot the other security personnel? Because you're saying that Mr. Dimaunahan was the only threat."

The subject gulped. Casting further doubt, the MP tilted her head in such a way that she could see him from slightly above her glasses.

"... But it seems to me that there might be something more to this that you're not telling us."

Columba

"Please sir, I'm begging you. I've been everywhere else possible in the city, this is the last place I know accepting applicants. You always need more hands in the mines, yes? I can work extra hours, I can work above quota, just please—"

The manager slammed his onto his desk, silencing the black-skinned Abo-abuhan man in front of him. The manager shook his head, his eyes full of disdain and annoyance. "I will hear no more of this. I will say again, as the papers state clearly; not only were you a member of the armed wing of the Gambang National Islamic Sultanate, a radical and militarist organization, you were employed as a low-ranking officer within its ranks. We cannot accept such extremism in our workforce."

Desperation welled in the man's eyes. "I've put all of that behind me, sir!" he choked out. "I followed because if I hadn't, I... I would've been shot or worse! Please, sir... I have nowhere else to go. I haven't had a job in three months. I've had to go to soup kitchens for my meals."

The manager frowned. "That is not my company's issue, and not relevant to this discussion. Now, leave my office or I will call security."

Those words struck like a bullet in his heart. In that moment, desperation and fear boiled into anger. He couldn't continue the lies anymore. Who did this stuffy bureaucrat think he was? Just another pencil pusher from Haijing? He was a warrior of Bangsagambang, drilled, trained and crafted to be the perfect soldier of Allah, the perfect specimen to purge Hintuwan of infidels! Judgement awaited them all and none of them even realized it! He had a destiny, a fucking destiny! And that bastard Malatang ripped it from him during that bust in '91... But he had to calm down. He had to maintain discipline, as he told his men so many years ago. His rage cooled, and the reality of the world came bearing back down on him. Slowly, he rose from his seat and stepped out of the man's office.

As he shut the door behind him, dejected and utterly hopeless, he met eyes with another one of his kind - another Abo-abuhan man like himself - in a clean white polo and jeans. He seemed to have been waiting in the parking lot outside the office for the entire duration of the interview. The other man continued to stare at him. Why? Was it pity? Disgust? Was he some sort of stalker or undercover policeman?

"Hey you," the well-dressed Abo-abuhan man spoke to him.

"You're not an easy man to find. Anyway, how would you like to fight again? But fight for your own kind, this time."
RP Music

RPs I'm In
(1) (2)
  • Long live all the republics of the world! May justice and liberty prevail throughout the world!
14 Mar 2024 | ✉  Radio Free Hintuwan    Now Playing - Do You Hear the People Sing? (Filipino)   Economy shows signs of recovery

Ivolshok
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 08, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Ivolshok » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:04 pm

August 4th, 2022 | Mahadit Rainforest, Hintuwan
Angelo Favro sat in his tent, listening to the patter of rain upon the roof. He had now spent 2 weeks in the jungle with little to show for it. It had taken quite the effort to get both Ivolshok and Hintuwan to agree to his trip and he was certainly not going to go home empty handed. This rainforest had remained relatively untouched by modern scientific investigation and it was believed to hold an untapped potential, but difficulty after difficulty had slowed his teams work. He wondered what it would mean if he failed. Would he still be a researcher after that? Would they send him and his family home?

His doomful ruminations were interrupted by the sloshing of muddy boots, as one of his assistant poked his head in, asking if they should prepare for today's expedition. He nods and stands back up, putting on his gaiters and cloak and stepping out.
August 3rd, 2022 | Korodsk, Ivolshok
Martiv Shor lived two lives. By day he managed payroll for a small department of the Ministry for Education, but by night he was a small cog in a vast regional conspiracy. He managed the movement of payments for criminal elements in Ivolshok, moving money form account to account, washing it through shells and laundries, and then making sure only enough of it passed through the government's mitts as to avoid suspicion.

Martiv knew very little about the details, that didn't really bother him, the kickbacks were enough to give him family a decent life in this hellhole, and maybe give his disabled son a chance at a future other than in a mine. Well at least it didn't bother him until the phone rang, not his house phone, but the small cell phone provided by his benefactors; in the decade of his work it had never rung once. He picked it up and nodded along to the mysterious voice on the other end, he then quickly donned his coat and kissed his sleeping wife on the forehead. He hoped it wouldn't be his last.

Hintuwan
Chargé d'Affaires

New York Times Democracy

Postby Hintuwan » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm

The tranquil rurality of Central Luhan has always been a region of great beauty contrasted by abject poverty and detestable treatment of the indigenous people by the powerful timber corporations which profited from its vast reserves. Deep in the heart of this green hell, insurgents of almost every radical group that seeks the destruction of the Hintuwani govermnment lurks and bides their time, quietly resisting Hintuwan's capitalistic ethos through whatever means they see fit - whether by collecting 'revolutionary tax' from the local villagers, destroying industrial equipment, staging attacks against military patrols, or kidnapping naive foreign tourists and researchers who happen to take the wrong trail. Yet still, there are adventurers who come regardless of the perils - enamored by promises of discovering new species of flora and fauna, the remains of ancient civilizations, uncontested tribes, untouched beauty, or any combination thereof.

Ivolshok wrote:August 4th, 2022 | Mahadit Rainforest, Hintuwan
-snip-

As Angelo emerged from his tent, he spotted a peculiar sight: two officers of the Hintuwani police wearing stern, belligerent faces. It seemed, despite running into all sorts of trouble (especially relating to the bureaucracy) over the past 2 weeks, that the country still had more problems to offer him. The police officers stared at Angelo blankly for a while until, reading from some sort of warrant which he had taken out of his side-bag, one of them broke the silence and initiated conversation:

"Mister... Fay- Fahv.. Fah-vro? Am I pronouncing that correctly? You are a researcher from Ivolshok, are you not?"

The officer looked up from what he was reading and continued:

"Yes, we're here to inform you that you are actually within the designated territory of the Abo-abuhan in Tasikrong. It seems you passed a checkpoint yesterday which would have warned you to set up camp elsewhere but the men designated to man it were, uh - let's just say off-duty when they weren't supposed to be. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we're going to have to ask you to move. Immeadiately, if possible."
RP Music

RPs I'm In
(1) (2)

Ivolshok
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 08, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Ivolshok » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:35 pm

Favro's brow contorted. When it rains it pours, he thought to himself. Packing, moving, and unpacking camp would take at least another 5 days, precious days he did not have. Even if nothing else went wrong he'd have eaten through half his time in this country. It simply would not do, they had been here a week already and had not suffered any ill fate, what harm would there be in but another few more. That's when it hit him.

"My apologies but I'm not sure that's entirely feasible. Perhaps we can think of some way for my group to stay here?" he said trying to suss out the officer's legal flexibility while not getting himself in too deep at the same time.

Hintuwan
Chargé d'Affaires

New York Times Democracy

Postby Hintuwan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:33 am

Ivolshok wrote:-snip-

The policeman understood what the researcher from Ivolshok was trying to do, as he himself was perfectly aware of his force's reputation. He thought for a moment on how to best deal with the situation, and finally decided that just as his colleagues couldn't be bothered to do their jobs neither could he. He communicated this with a deep exhale and the expression of a weary look. Then, he proceeded to take out a small notepad from his back pocket and rip it out.

"Sir, if that is what you want I will not bother you further," he said, crumpling the paper and littering with it on some nearby shrubbery. "I take it that the recent storms and the mud have bothered you and hindered your work enough in this area of the Mahadit. But you must know that this area is a hotspot for terrorist activity."

"I will be taking my leave now," the officer continued. "I'll pretend that I successfully evicted you so try to avoid other guards on the way out. If you get caught I will deny that this interaction happened. Just try to stay alive and don't trust the locals if they approach you. Good luck."
Last edited by Hintuwan on Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
RP Music

RPs I'm In
(1) (2)

Return to International Incidents