NATION

PASSWORD

Scenes from a Revolution [OOC thread]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Analeuthocosia
Secretary

Founded: Dec 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Scenes from a Revolution [OOC thread]

Postby Analeuthocosia » Tue May 17, 2022 9:13 am

The suggestion has been made to start one of these. So if anyone is interested but doesn't yet know how exactly to get involved, and doesn't want to use Discord, here it is.

IC thread is here (also currently in signature). I'll supply additional information here as needed.

My current status:

Posts 1-4 done
Post 5: currently almost completely written (>4200 words), being edited. Coming in the next couple of days, most likely.
Post 6: under drafting

As of post #4 this is a very rough map of the current status of the main factions involved: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/273252182193864705/973787225458360420/draft_map_2a.png—Haven Refugee Camp is the one located near Mathhaven, and that's where the Reinkalistani Red Cross is currently located. Hector Moldova has crossed the border near Aghavam; the route via which Holy Marsh is providing aid is already highlighted.

EMK controls the major seaport at Keel (deep water harbour). UWO is providing aid through this harbour. There is also a smaller, EMK-controlled estuary harbour at Whitechapel. The PMUs control a non-deep-water harbour at Newmarket. (Much of the territory between Newmarket and Whitechapel along the coast is contested.) The route via which the PMUs extend from Albany to Halifax is a highway and associated towns that's under their control; they do not have control over much beyond this one particular highway. AKILA now controls part of Delwyn.

The two non-Haven refugee camps are Mezhgani Camp (~2 million refugees; located surrounding city of Mezhgani, prewar population >500,000) and Arvaz Camp (located in the state of Concord, in the suburbs of the eponymous city, prewar population >2 million; ~2-3 million refugees).

Post #5 will cover AKILA's entry into Laurentia city.

Map will not be updated to the final map anytime soon because my computer is currently under repair and I also need a mouse to draw with (or ideally a graphics tablet, but that's beyond my budget at the moment).

Ways people can get involved:
  1. Send aid to a faction. This is what most people have done so far.
  2. Have character(s) somewhere on the map: international aid workers, military advisors, civilians, members of one of the factions, etc.
  3. Establish relations with the new AKILA-led government once it is formed (probably some time away—at least a week given that posts #6 and 7 are already planned and don't get there yet).
  4. Alternatively, attempt to stop the AKILA-led government, once it is formed, from controlling the entire map, either through military or diplomatic means.
  5. In general, find some way to exploit the situation to meet whatever your own goals are in Greater Dienstad/this area of it.
  6. Other ideas—please post them or let me know otherwise what they are.
Who we are, and how we came to be

A nation that can perhaps best be summed up with some questions: what might the Soviet Union or Yugoslavia have looked like in a world where idealism could be made material? What about a world where a vanguard party avoided backsliding into social imperialism or ideological deviationism? Is it even legal to run a communist nation where people don't call each other "comrade" or have "Five-Year Plans"? We'll find out (maybe).

Analeuthocosia
Secretary

Founded: Dec 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Analeuthocosia » Tue May 24, 2022 2:30 pm

Current OOC status:

Analeuthocosia:
Post 8 under drafting.
Remaining segments of Post 7 will be collaborative, involving contributions from Mokastana, Holy Marsh and UWO, and possibly Severina.
Not yet begun: Haven Camp posts for South Reinkalistan; Aghavam posts for Mokastana.

Mokastana:
Potential contributions to battle in Halifax (PUF forces) and meeting in Aghavam (Hector the War Profiteer). We will probably co-write these at some point. Correct me if I’m wrong.

UWO/Mahdah:
Due to a lack of time at the moment, UWO has given permission for me to take DM control of Ordenite military advisors (as I’ve been doing), so long as everything is approved—correct me if I’m wrong. I am also assuming a Mahdavian presence in some AKILA groups as per discord convos.

Holy Marsh:
Some involvement in battle at Halifax, including assassination attempts against EMK leadership (Lethe/Kowalski). Potential further ideas floated include a meeting with AKILA leadership (which I’m down with as well, but best time for that may be after post #8) and AKILA recruitment within the Theocracy. Timing for this remains under discussion.

South Reinkalistan:
Military aid and possible deployments will be made in support of AKILA, some of which remain to be co-written by me as well; this can be done at any time so long as real-life time permits. Further Haven Camp posts also to come.

Severina:
We discussed a possible role for Khuseyn, the brother who went off to fight in Kozani years ago, and it seems like the best place to put him would be with the PMUs in Halifax (under Renet’s command), so that’s my plan for him. Not yet sure of Severina’s plans but, if approval is granted, will mention him in the next Halifax-centered post and leave it up to Severina as to who will RP the character’s POV.

Current IC status:

AKILA:
Laurentia Branch now holds a large extent of territory. St. Nevis has fallen to the Newbury Branch, which is now assaulting Newbury under Captain Erdeni’s leadership. Paramac Branch controls most of the southern area of Paramac State. AKILA-related uprisings are currently ongoing in central Paramac, in Concord, in Nashua and Hailey, and throughout the Anacostia-Independent Principalities region. I have not mentioned most of these in the text, but they are happening.

Feudal States:
Turn-of-River and Amistad have now proclaimed the Republic of the Arvaz. Due to ongoing diplomatic and constitutional issues, no formal press conference has been held, nor has a true interim government been formed. A council of former feudal leaders is currently hashing issues out. The Republic is a largely rural, agricultural state of 15-17 million inhabitants, with its capital and largest city being Turn-of-River, a city of ~400,000 people. Has no large international airports, but one can reach it via international flight to Laurentia and then transferring to a local flight. It is free-market capitalist in orientation but is currently operating under the protection of, and maintaining an alliance with, AKILA. This is an alliance of convenience that will only last for another month or two. That said, if you’re a capitalist state and want to establish relations with someone and greatly complicate the foundation of Analeuthocosia/Kozanileuthia, they’re a good bet.

The Kingdom of Newbury (population: 27 million; located in a noted copper mining region referred to as the Copper Belt) has concluded an unofficial alliance with the EMK. It lacks a significant military beyond its conscripts, but has held out so far by virtue of terrain, being located in a steep-sided valley surrounded by mountains; there is only one feasible approach route from the south, which has been heavily fortified.

PMUs, EMK, etc.:
Disposition is roughly as indicated in the posts.

PMUs control an area with some 30 million inhabitants, 45% of which are various minority groups. There is limited industrial infrastructure available; the region has reverted to primarily agrarian despite places like New City and Shoreditch at one point having modern high-tech industry. The PMUs themselves have about 200,000 members. Shoreditch (current population 2.5 million; prewar population 4 million) is essentially their capital and largest city. The reversion to agrarianism is in part because Northern Kozani is prime coffee country, with that being the primary industry before moving to a high-tech service economy in the 1980s; there was never a strong secondary industry base to fall back on.

EMK controls an area with some 45 million inhabitants, including Whitechapel (current population 15 million; prewar population 25 million), once the capital of Kozani. The heavily urbanised Whitechapel-Marion-Halifax corridor at one point was the largest industrial zone in the country, containing aluminum smelters (bauxite is a major resource of the country, although the mines are now located in Islamic Movement territory and thus inaccessible to the EMK) as well as extensive manufacturing facilities. Currently, practically all factories have been converted into production of weapons, which rely heavily for raw materials on recycling metal from the last round of weapons that were destroyed in Marshite airstrikes or battles against the PMUs. Iron, steel and aluminum reserves exist but have been almost entirely depleted. EMK-controlled areas have very limited food supplies, and rely to some extent on humanitarian aid passing through the international seaport at Keel (current population 4 million; prewar population 2 million). In recent years, thanks to the blockade, an agreement has been made to trade food for weapons with the People’s Islamic Movement (currently headquartered near Lockport), which is one reason taking Halifax is so essential for the EMK: it would give them practical control of the Kara River, primary trade route of the country.

Islamic Movement & splinter groups we have yet to meet, but I’ll post details about them when we’re closer to that time.
Who we are, and how we came to be

A nation that can perhaps best be summed up with some questions: what might the Soviet Union or Yugoslavia have looked like in a world where idealism could be made material? What about a world where a vanguard party avoided backsliding into social imperialism or ideological deviationism? Is it even legal to run a communist nation where people don't call each other "comrade" or have "Five-Year Plans"? We'll find out (maybe).

Return to International Incidents