NATION

PASSWORD

[Earth II] Into the Mouth of Peril

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Layarteb
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

[Earth II] Into the Mouth of Peril

Postby Layarteb » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:11 pm

OOC: This thread serves as one part in a potentially larger anthology of similar-themed and similarly set threads from the wider Earth II world concerning pirates and pirate-themed works primarily from the Age of Sail. This thread concerns the North Atlantic, primarily from the Açores to the Western Mediterranean Sea. For more information, please see the OOC Thread. To participate in this thread you must be a member of Earth II. All active, Earth II participants, please speak to me over Discord or through telegram concerning your role in the thread - if you would like one.

Into the Mouth of Peril

Barbary Pirate - Edward Mortelmans

Smooth runs the water where the brook is deep;
And in his simple show he harbours treason.
The fox barks not when he would steal the lamb.
No, no, my sovereign; Gloucester is a man
Unsounded yet and full of deep deceit.

(Shakespeare Henry VI, part 2)

.:.
Prologue
The Man Who Would Be King

• • • † • • •

Monday, May 10th, 1706 | 18:00 hrs [GMT]

Kingdom of Sabtan | Almina Fortress
35° 53' 45" N, 5° 17' 24" W

Abdelmajid stood in the way that all powerful and violent men did when they were brooding, which was to say that he stood still, his eyes sweeping the scene in front of him and nothing more than an almost imperceptible pan of his head. He clasped his hands behind his back and let the breeze blow against his weathered and pockmarked face and unkempt, bushy, black beard. Sizing up the scene that lay in front of him, Abdelmajid stared beyond the window and the ramparts with severe, judgmental eyes that were as black as his beard and as cold as an iceberg. An imposing figure at a height of 6-foot-8, he towered over the man to his left and if his height wasn't a statement enough, his girth was as he weighed 385 pounds. Easily the tallest, largest, and most feared man in any room or on any ship, there were no questions as to why and how Abdelmajid had risen to throne of the Kingdom of Sabtan and why, as king, Abdelmajid commanded respect.

Abdelmajid was not a man to suffer from fits or rage or lose his temper easily. He was calm and calculating, a man of few words who let those around him speak until they were done speaking, who weighed the counsel of all before declaring his own ruling or opinion on any matter. There was no way to guess how Abdelmajid would decide, and his decision one day could contradict itself the next day. It left those around him in suspense, frustrated, awestruck, and sometimes all at the same time. Yet he was hardly indecisive, rather he approached each decision as its own entity, weighing newly presented information more heavily than that which he'd been given in the past, even if the past were mere hours. But this was Abdelmajid as a king. As a commander, he was the opposite. He gave orders in a booming voice that echoed across the deck of any galleon even in the fiercest of tempests and his orders were to be obeyed immediately. There was no chance for second guessing, no chance for doubt.

When he was a young teenager, barely twelve years of age, Abdelmajid left his parental home and enlisted in the navy. On his eighteenth birthday, he was awarded a commission to lieutenant or mülazim as it was called. As a leader, he was cunning, crafty, and patient; yet, as a commander, he was ruthless, merciless, and dominating and these traits complemented one another so much so that by the age of twenty-eight, Abdelmajid captained his own ship. By the time he reached thirty-three, he was the most respected and feared captain in the Mediterranean and it would be not the next year that he used his craftiness and ruthlessness to lead a bloody coup against the leadership of Sabtan. In one night, he and his supporters massacred the entirety of the royal family and no less than 50 leaders of the kingdom. By the end of his first year in power, he'd purged hundreds. Anyone who stood in his way or opposed him, he saw to their demise, sometimes personally.

Unchallenged since, Abdelmajid took the Kingdom of Sabtan beyond its own borders and negotiated a vast confederacy the stretched from the Açores in the North Atlantic to the Balearic Islands in the Balearic Sea. When operating as a whole, each state had equal say and equal share but no one state would dictate to another how to manage its affairs. It had no formal name as none could agree on one that elevated no one above another. Vast with resources, any state within the confederacy would have been strong and powerful on their own but as a cohesive unit they became a maritime behemoth that stretched across some of the most heavily transited water in the Atlantic and it was that traffic which sustained the states for piracy was their common link and piracy was what brought Abdelmajid to this very moment as he watched his ships battle with those from a kingdom halfway across the world. Piracy was both their sustenance and their almost linear demise these past four years.

It was the Açores that fell first, brought down in a campaign that seemed to last forever but which was all but lengthy. From there it was Madeira, Canaria, and now they were at his doorstep. Beyond Sabtan lay only Baleares and if Sabtan fell, the Baleares stood no chance. Yet Sabtan would not fall, so long as Abdelmajid sat upon the throne, which he defiantly proclaimed to both his subjects and his allies. It was one of the latter, an emissary from Baleares, who stood by his side, dwarfed by both the stature and the ingenuity of he who was king. He too stood in silence, studying the naval battle before them, in awe that the forces which toppled Açores, Madeira, and Canaria committed blunder after moronic blunder.

They stood steadfast as cannon shells pounded against the ramparts, as gunners returned fire, as the fortress shook from both incoming and outgoing fire, as messengers steadfastly entered the king's office to announce developments in the battle, as victory appeared before them. One such messenger had just departed not eight minutes prior and Abdelmajid waited for his orders to be carried out, waited to see the results of the trap he'd lain, a trap so simple in its crafting that it required only the enemy to commit a series of mistakes in sequence and now they had, as was required.

"This is the moment," Abdelmajid said, his voice filling the void of his office like smoke does in a box. Seconds later, the fortress shook immensely as ten cannons fired at once, a devastating salvo that would make viewing anything to the north impossible until the wind carried the smoke away from the fortress. However, Abdelmajid and the emissary weren't looking to the north but rather to the west where one particular warship had its broadside to the fortress, and which was the target of this massive salvo of ten, 48-pounders.

The cannon balls moved through the air like a bull in an alleyway, arcing downwards as gravity pulled them downward against their own desires. Little could be done to stop them though and each one came towards their target in an otherwise tight pattern, targeted and sighted by gun crews who'd practiced this very shot before. Abdelmajid's tactics had forced the target to cross at a broadside just beyond a small rock that jutted out at low tide, a rock that served as an aiming point for the 48-pounders battery. Firing at the fortress with its relatively ineffective cannons, the ship had sighted on the muzzle blasts from the fortress and was returning fire when suddenly it became enveloped in a massive ball of fire, proof that the salvo's effect was indisputably devastating.

It was the powder magazine that had blown, tearing the Falcon, a second-rate ship-of-the-line apart, reducing it and its crew of 550 men to cinders. Armed with eighty-four guns, the ship was serving as the enemy flagship. "You will see now," Abdelmajid said, his face expressionless despite the crippling victory he'd just won, "they will withdraw for their flagship is destroyed and their admiral dead. They will fight no more. We have won."

"Why destroy such a magnificent vessel?"
The emissary asked, "Would not it have been better in our employ? They will return."

"This is my message to them. We have captured two ships already and their crew will be pressed into servitude, those who we deem fit of course. The destruction of their flagship shows that we are not to be trifled with. Let them return and we will do the same. This is a message."

"Victory."

"Victory,"
Abdelmajid repeated. Minutes later, the enemy ships began to withdraw and a messenger appeared to give the news. "Give the batteries a rest and commend the crews. We have won," he said, "spread the news throughout Sabtan. These men who believed themselves capable of toppling our kingdom now tuck their tails and run. They've no gumption to endure battle against Sabtan's brave soldiers. Let it be known to all from end-to-end that I, King Abdelmajid, have delivered victory against them." The messenger nodded and disappeared through the door as Abdelmajid turned away from the window.

"What now?"

"Return to your kingdom and inform of what you have seen here. Commend Iselda on her commitment to this fight. Her ships can leave victorious at their own will. Baleares can rest easy tonight."

"I shall,"
the emissary said before bowing his head.

"Let us dine together, the sun is going down now and battle has ended." Abdelmajid said as he finally turned away from the window, away from the ramparts, away from the destruction of the enemy flagship and the retreat of the remainder of their forces.

Nightfall was coming and the sky was darkening as the sun finally touched the horizon and began its journey beneath the Earth's terminator. Abdelmajid ignored the beauty he'd seen at sea countless times before and led the Baleares emissary deep into the fortress where a meal was already being prepared. Soon, Abdelmajid's top admirals and generals would be joining to celebrate their victory. Servants - slaves really - would bring food and wine aplenty until those present had engorged themselves into the comatose sleep of the overstuffed. Abdelmajid was more reserved, despite his physical appearance.

When finally the feast began, a toast was raised to King Abdelmajid the Great, as his subjects and allies called him. The Baleares emissary led the toast himself, as per custom. Abdelmajid didn't much prefer that epithet though. He preferred the ones his enemies called him, what the Columbians would be calling him soon enough, Abdelmajid the Beheader…

• • • † • • •

Last edited by Layarteb on Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Earth II Moderator | Earth II Discord | Member of The October Alliance
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •
• The Empire of Columbia •

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:36 pm

• • • † • • •

Aert Anthoniszoon

Saturday, May 15th, 1706 | 07:50 hrs [GMT-1]

Funchal, Protectorate of Madeira | Governor's Estate
32° 38' 37" N, 16° 54' 57" W

Lord Marshall Semmes had been forty-eight when he was first appointed governor of the Madeira Protectorate some eight years ago. That was after the Columbians routed the island of its pirate lords and freed a captive populace who'd been enslaved and otherwise mistreated at the hands of their captors. In those eight years, the governor had singlehandedly transformed the once pirate stronghold into a bustling waypoint for ships traveling across the Atlantic. Madeira, being so conveniently close to the Strait of Gibraltar was normally the first stop for seagoing vessels heading westward. From there it would be off to the Açores and then finally to Bermuda and the North American coastline. The sheer volume of trade moving through the Med and to North America, and vice versa, made Madeira wealthy quite rapidly. The population had steadily grown as well now that the island wasn't a grim fortress under dictatorial control.

For the governor, this was quite an accomplishment and while he had every intention of retiring on the island, he wasn't in a rush for he was a man who enjoyed the lavish luxuries of living on a 2.5-acre palatial estate overlooking the harbor. He couldn't imagine downsizing. The estate itself had been built by a Portuguese nobleman only 150 years prior and who'd passed it down to his son. The island had shortly been besieged thereafter and the nobleman's son forced to flee back to mainland Portugal. He would never return, dying before the 98-year reign of terror could be ended by Columbian forces. The sheer history of this single estate, called Quinta Vigia by her original owner, and its luxurious accommodations made retirement a downgrade on life, insofar as the governor saw it. His wife, on the other hand, had an entirely different view of their future, however.

On Saturday morning's, the governor often rose early, typically at sunrise, like he did all other days of the week but rather than hurry through breakfast and watching his children off to school just to get behind a desk, he used his Saturday mornings to catch up on affairs around the world. It was typically on Friday's that mail ships from Europe and North America arrived carrying newspapers, amongst other things. Getting one of every copy, the governor liked to sit on the terrace on Saturday mornings reading through them and seeing what state of affairs were going on in the world before his children awoke to cause the day's mayhem. This morning would have been like all the others had a watchman not called for his attention not ten minutes earlier.

Now standing at the balustrade overlooking the port, the governor watched as the remnants of the Columbian expedition to Sabtan returned, scarred and beaten from battle, fewer in number, and entirely too early to signal anything but bad news. Just as he began counting the ships, he was interrupted by the arrival of the premier naval officer on the island and commander of the entire fleet, Admiral William Braun. Braun's hurried, hasty footsteps across the stone floor were heard before he was seen, and the governor knew all too well what those footsteps meant. He thought the word to himself, Catastrophe.

"Where is the Falcon?" Semmes asked as he saw the final ship materialize in the distance. He'd already counted two less ships than had set out but where was the flagship?

"Lord Governor, I have been given the most dreadful news."

"Well I can see that now can't I admiral?"

"No sir it is worse than what we see. We cannot see what has been communicated to me ahead of time. A pilot vessel swung out and retrieved a missive as the vessels entered the harbor. Sir we have lost two ships to the enemy and their crews captured and the Falcon has been destroyed with a likely loss of all hands."

"All hands!"
Semmes repeated the phrase as if he needed to repeat it to believe it. "How have we lost our flagship, the premier naval vessel in the entire fleet to pirates?"

"The missive is scant on details. I have summoned Commodore Alexander upon his arrival to meet me here to debrief us. The expedition has been a failure."

"Well yes I'd quite say the loss…wait a moment. Where is Rear Admiral Redmon?"

"Redmon is dead. Lost with the Falcon."

"Well my first thought admiral was that this was a catastrophe but now I should like to think of something even worse."

"He will be in our attendance within an hour at most."

"Come then, let us cease this menagerie of horror."
The governor turned away from the ships returning to port, ignoring the cannon damage, the partially burned hulls, and infirmed piled on deck for immediate removal to the city's hospital. They went instead to the governor's drawing room where he'd ordered his staff to prepare more tea, coffee, and light refreshments for the impending visitor.

Roughly forty minutes later, when the commodore was announced, he was quickly received into the drawing room where the governor and Admiral Braun were waiting for him. Before the governor could speak though, Braun rapidly cut in front and said, "Your missive was received so we are eager to learn of the details which you did not put in it."

"Of course, of course,"
said the commodore who, despite his weariness from battle and travel, had adorned himself in his cleanest uniform.

"Well we can yes but would you like something to eat or drink first?" The governor offered, "After all, you have been at sea for two weeks."

"Thank you sir but I must decline. Despite my being a naval officer I am ashamed to admit that I do have bouts of intermittent nausea once I return to land. It usually resolves itself after but a few hours. I am afraid I would not want to embarrass myself."

"But of course,"
the governor said with a smile and offered the commodore a seat.

"Well I am afraid to bring such bad tidings. The Falcon was lost and presumably with all hands. Amongst her crew was Rear Admiral Redmon. I believe he was killed on the ship. Additionally, both the Tempest and the Champlain were captured by Sabtan, their crews taken prisoner."

"How did this happen?"

"Admiral they were significantly better prepared than we expected. The Champlain was lost first. She encountered a Sabtan frigate and locked into battle early on in the fight. She was boarded and not but two hours into the fight, the Jolly Roger of Sabtan flew from her mast. The Tempest then moved in to try to retake her but was caught on both sides and severely damaged. Like the Champlain, she was boarded and lost in the fight.

"Rear Admiral Redmon, split our force. I was to command the rear element while he took the lead element. We maintained distance from the pirate fortress, using our long-range guns to engage the enemy batteries. Our cannons did little but dent their walls. Their fire was accurate and overwhelming from virtually every angle though we continually tried to exploit a weakness. Redmon maneuvered in closer intend on deploying infantry to assault several secondary batteries firing at us from outside of the fortress. As he did so, he maneuvered into what I can only imagine was a pre-sighted target box.

"Massive guns, ten in all, opened fire on his vessel from the fortress, guns that had since been quiet. I do not know how many struck the vessel but the single salvo devastated her. The powder magazine blew and the entire vessel torn to nothing more than splinters. It was at that moment, the sun setting, that I opted to retreat and bring the remainder of the force back home. Every one of our vessels has sustained damage and near as I can estimate, we have suffered 1,707 men killed or captured and a further 462 wounded, almost eighty percent of our men."
Here, the commodore paused. They'd left port with ten ships and 2,721 men and returned home with just seven ships and roughly over a thousand men. It had been a rout to say the least.

"Redmon," Braun spoke, "how did he act?"

"Sir I am not one to speak ill of the dead, least of all those who were my commanding officer."

"There will be an after-action report and it will be official, will it not?"

"Yes sir."

"Then speak now, off the record. Tell me what you would not put into your report."

"Very well sir, the admiral acted foolishly. He committed several blunders, the first of all was to engage the fortress in the first place. Sir this is not a fortress with which to withstand naval bombardment. Our assessments of it were wrong. If it is to be taken, it shall be done on land. The admiral was led into a trap and he paid very dearly for it. We committed many blunders that day and most of all was to attack that fortress. We aimed to surround it and shell it but from the moment we came into range, they were attacking us, no doubt thanks to overland spies at the pillars who moved far quicker than we did.

"Before we'd ever come out of the night, they were ready for us, alerted ahead of time, prepared, and ready. We did not come up against a foe that was haphazard or opportunistic. They were disciplined and they'd drilled and trained relentlessly. More of their rounds hit their mark than ours did and we were vastly outnumbered in terms of guns."

"This will be difficult to report,"
Braun said, "more than difficult for Columbia City to accept. The King will hardly be pleased."

"Correct,"
answered the governor, "we must mitigate this loss. How quickly can we recommit?"

"It will be some time. We'll need more vessels. The status of our force, well actually Commodore what is the status of our force?"

"Sir it's in atrocious shape. Our vessels sustained serious damage. I doubt they would be ready to sail before the autumn."

"We'll need more then,"
Braun said, "which means we must send our note and the full report to Columbia City. We must impress upon them the need for a sizeable flotilla."

"An armada is what we need,"
the governor answered.

• • • † • • •

Last edited by Layarteb on Sun May 28, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:13 pm

• • • † • • •

Friday, June 11th, 1706 | 13:30 hrs [GMT-5]

Columbia City, New York | Fortress of Comhghall
40° 41' 28" N, 74° 0' 58" W

It had been over a week since Semmes' first missive arrived in Columbia City. There had been a boat leaving for Columbia City an hour after Commodore Alexander departed and the governor had given strict orders that the ship be held to carry his missive. The commodore saw to it personally and though the captain was incensed, the thirty-minute delay had hardly been much of a problem. Thus, Semmes' missive had been hastily written and gave scant detail save for the basis of the outcome. Sabtan was victories, ships had been lost, men had been captured, and Rear Admiral George Redmon had been killed in action. That missive had arrived in King Randall's hands on June 2 and the young king had been filled with anxiety ever since.

King Randall, who'd ruled now for eleven years, had come to power through a series of tragedies that had befallen his family. He was the third child - and son - of King Thomas (1648 - 1695) and Queen Frances (1653 - 1687) who'd been married in 1668. Pregnancy had been difficult for Frances though she gave birth to their first child in 1670, a boy they'd named Oliver. He died eight years later when he was thrown from a horse. The tragedy deeply upset the family. Patrick, the second son, had been born in 1674 but he'd caught scarlet fever and died in 1683. Randall was then the only child remaining at the age of just four. Queen Frances would subsequently die in childbirth in 1687 along with Randall's would-be sister. After seeing the death of a third child, and his wife, King Thomas had sunken into a deep and eternal depression. He died unexpectedly in 1695. Rumors swirled that he'd been poisoned - whether by himself or someone else - but there was little proof. One night, he'd retired early after feeling "unwell" and was found dead in his bed the next morning. Randall, then only sixteen years old, was crowned King of Columbia.

Randall was hardly ready to be king. He'd been a sheltered child, especially in the wake of his siblings' death and more so after his mother died. Hardly a pillar of maturity, Randall faced criticism from the country's aristocracy from day one and even after several years as ruler, little had changed. Like his father, he married at the age of twenty in 1699 to the young daughter of a courtier. Her name was Hannah and in a few short years, she'd born four children for the young king though it was largely questionable whether any had been sired by Randall for the Queen's promiscuity and infidelity were well known throughout the court, perhaps to everyone but the king himself. Happy to live in a bubble of ignorance, King Randall proudly proclaimed that each of his four children were his and didn't bother to question whether or not any of them bore any resemblance to him. His wife had been just fourteen when they'd gotten married, younger by a year than his own mother at the time of her marriage.

King Randall's attitude of ignorance to his martial affairs was to his benefit for the state of affairs in the Kingdom were hardly in good order. When his great-grandfather first took the throne after a bloody coup in 1590, the Kingdom of Columbia had already been "in trouble" from a financial point of view. Hundreds of years of warfare throughout the continent to expand the Kingdom had seriously drained the nation's treasury. Extra taxes levied upon the nation's peasantry and aristocracy had hardly gone over well and his great-grandfather faced no less than three revolts during his 41-year-reign. His grandfather, rising to the throne in 1631 had not made matters better. Eager to stay in power and avoid his other father's mistakes, he repealed some of the extra tax levies upon the peasantry. In an effort to make up the difference, he borrowed money, further exacerbating the debt situation. King Randall's own father, when he came to power in 1673, had done little to correct the debt situation and it continuously worsened year after year.

King Randall's contribution was his war against the pirate lords. What led the King to launch the war came from multiple angles. First and foremost, piracy throughout the Atlantic was hurting the merchant fleets of the Kingdom and the monetary losses associated were hardly helping the country's already dire financial circumstances, especially since the Kingdom had a policy to compensate for losses due to piracy, an edict that had been in place for two centuries that no King had the "power" to repeal. Secondly, King Randall needed to disprove his many detractors and critics within not only the aristocracy but the peasantry as well. Thirdly, the prospect of seizing the stolen goods and treasures of the pirate lords could provide the nation with a boost to its treasury. With these factors at play, the King launched the war and the early successes against the Açores, Madeira, and Canaria provided immediate relief. Sabtan and Baleares pulled their ships closer to home, reducing pirate attacks significantly. Critics were silenced by the overwhelming victories and seized stolen property did provide a boost to the treasury; however, the sheer cost of the campaign, thus far, somewhat limited the effect.

Now with Sabtan proving victorious in battle, King Randall knew that the aristocracy would likely begin to revert back to their original criticism. How easy it would be for them to forget the first victories and focus solely on this loss. Militarily speaking, which the Kingdom should have been victorious, it was bound to happen that even the might of the Columbian military would be bested at least once in this campaign. That it came at Sabtan would hardly be a surprise to anyone with knowledge of the matter; and yet, few of those people would be within the aristocracy's social circles. The aristocrats would only see failure and with that, an ineffectual and weak King.

The short missive had plagued the King ever since its arrival. In just a few short days, he'd been seen wandering listlessly around the Fortress at late hours, explaining that he was suffering from insomnia. He suffered stomach pains and he found his hands beginning to tremble during periods of idleness. Not what any would call a brilliant strategist, he could only see how the loss would be perceived in the Kingdom when news finally arrived in the continent, which would be today. Funchal had been abuzz with activity within hours of the fleet's return and information spread throughout Europe at a much faster pace so that rumors had already reached the shores of the continent on any one of the daily ships arriving from Europe and the Atlantic. However, none of these bore any official news and so the rumors persisted, growing more and more fantastical and inaccurate as the days passed. What started as "Columbian ships suffered a defeat" soon grew into stories of sea monsters and otherworldly interventions. One such rumor stated that the ships returning to Funchal were ghost ships, their crewmen killed and the ships steered only by their broken and cursed souls. None could be further from the truth.

That would change today though with the arrival of the Atlantic, the premier trade ship of the Kingdom. Though she was well-armed, the Atlantic was primarily a transport ship, moving goods and passengers from the Columbian continent to the east, through the Atlantic and to the shores of Europe. She had a route that brought her first north across the Atlantic up to the British Isles and then down along the western coastlines of Europe to the Mediterranean. From there, she moved westward back to Columbia City, a long, circuitous route that took many months. The timing of her journey meant that she put into Funchal only a week after the defeat at Sabtan. Semmes, knowing her schedule, announced in his missive that his full report would be sent on the Atlantic as he trusted the ship to weather any potential attacks on her crossing westward. Admiral Braun would personally deliver the full report as well as the recommended actions to conquer Sabtan and the Baleares as well as end the campaign with a Columbian victory.

For King Randall, the arrival of the Atlantic brought both relief and dread. Informed of its arrival, he rushed to one of the Fortress' many balconies to watch as the vessel moved slowly into the harbor and up to its berthing along Brooklyn's western shore. Braun, amongst the first passengers off the ship, was greeted by an emissary of the King and ushered into an awaiting vessel that moved up the harbor and docked directly at Governor's Island, having moved with tremendous speed at the detriment of its rowers. It was only a few minutes later that Admiral Braun, in his uniform, stood before King Randall and his advisors where he gave the full details of the failed attempt to conquer Sabtan. He gave a detailed accounting of the battle, the losses that were suffered, and the tactics employed. Questions were posed but not from the King, who sat sullen and morose as he heard about the defeat, a defeat he felt personally. When Braun finished explaining what he thought needed to defeat Sabtan properly, the King felt his heart sink through the floor.

"Admiral, that is going to be a lot of men and ships. It will take months to assemble," the King answered, having hoped for a quick victory and not a long, drawn out, and expensive campaign.

"Sabtan will not be conquerable by sea. Almina Fortress is simply too well-built and well-armed. Our only hope is through a land incursion. I know this differs starkly from our prior successes but we're facing a foe that has prepared for this very day. This is a foe that makes its living through violence and which knows only violence so it should stand to reason that Sabtan has a fortress of such qualities."

"Would a commitment such as this weaken us?"
The King asked, as if there were a pack of wolves preparing to descend upon Columbia at any moment and raze its cities to the ground.

"It is a hefty commitment Your Majesty," Braun answered, "and the largest armada we've put together in some time; however, it is necessary to strike at our enemy with overwhelming force. Sabtan and Baleares together bring ten thousand men and eighteen ships to the battle. We must overwhelm them on land as much as at sea. The only way we can achieve this is with such a numerous force. Forty vessels and thirty thousand men is the ask Your Majesty and with such a sizeable force we will be able to overwhelm Sabtan and Baleares combined."

"Did they fight as one?"
The King asked.

"We do not have evidence of this Your Majesty but we can expect that Abdelmajid will call in as many men and vessels as he can for the next round. He would be foolish to think we would not return and if we are to assume our foe is foolish, we might as well start with ourselves."

In his head, the King was imagining the sheer cost of such a sizeable armada. Victory would not come quickly or cheaply, as he'd hoped. Whatever treasures they seized from Sabtan and Baleares would likely be net against the extraordinary cost and provide little, if any, relief to the cash-strapped Kingdom. Yet he knew he could not back away from the fight for the consequences were simply too great. Without recommitting, he would be encouraging Sabtan and Baleares to resume their piracy at greater distances into the Atlantic and worse, likely attempting to recapture what their compatriots lost. The aristocracy would all but abandon him entirely and the peasantry would smell blood in the water and revolt. His only course of action was to return to the fight and, in doing so, further degrade the country's treasury. It was the first time that any Columbian ruler would think a conflict "unwinnable."

"How long before we could launch this attack?" The King asked, his advisors more than he did Admiral Braun.

"Your Majesty, I would say not before November, which brings its own hazards as we would be moving across the Atlantic in the dead of winter. That brings its own risks to the armada," answered Admiral of the Fleet Sir Christopher Matthews, the highest-ranking officer in the country's navy. He was soon joined by General-in-Chief William Barton, the highest-ranking officer in the country's army. No man but the King was above either of these two.

"If we are to follow through with this plan Your Majesty, I would suspect we would desire to land on the western coastline of Sabtan and work our way eastward. It would not be a quick campaign and we could expect unconventional tactics employed by Sabtan's pirates. Ambushes would be frequent and our men would need to fight a different style of warfare than they are used to fighting. It will take us at least this much time to plot out a strategy, perhaps longer. I would not feel comfortable with less than four months and likely not less than six."

The King sighed and sunk somewhat in his chair. "Do what is necessary to ensure victory. I do not wish to revisit this conversation again. Whatever resources we require, let's have it." Resigned to the fact that the outcome of the Kingdom's campaign was largely out of his hands, King Randall stood and left the meeting, knowing full well that Columbia would be victorious but perhaps at a very expensive cost.

• • • † • • •

Last edited by Layarteb on Sun May 28, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:09 pm

• • • † • • •

Thursday, July 1st, 1706 | 09:30 hrs [GMT]

Kingdom of Sabtan | Almina Fortress
35° 53' 45" N, 5° 17' 24" W

The Kingdom of Sabtan had started out like any pirate kingdom, a confederacy made up of pirate lords who came together to elect a king amongst them. So long as the king stayed in the right graces of the lords, he remained in power until his death or resignation. Sabtan used to be like that until Abdelmajid slaughtered those in power and everyone and anyone who opposed him. What remained was a kingdom run be a true king who held power absolutely. From over fifty lords, there were now just eight, who'd carved up Sabtan amongst themselves. Ironically, Abdelmajid controlled the small area of land in the kingdom but it mattered not as each of the lords paid taxes up to Abdelmajid and swore fealty to him. Abdelmajid didn't need land, he could take whatever he wanted simply by executing a pirate lord and assuming control over his territory. Naturally, this might make the other lords suspicious and thus invite a potential coup against him so Abdelmajid chose how and when to wield his immense power to ensure that the eight lords underneath him continued to support him and not get any ideas amongst themselves.

In the days following the Battle of May 10, Abdelmajid had called all of his lords and military leaders to a meeting at Almina Fortress and gave them a charge, "The Columbians will return and with more men, more ships, and more firepower than we have ever seen. Today they are limping home, bruise and bloodied. Tomorrow they will be back with their entire navy." He paced around the table, his girth loomed in the room as the pirate lords contemplated his words. Each and every one of them had cheered their victory, believing the Columbians to be vanquished. Hearing Abdelmajid's words made none of them feel easy. Those who felt a disagreement dared not question Abdelmajid as he paced. "We won our battle but the Columbians are in it for the war. Our survival depends not on these battles but on a wider strategy, a strategy we cannot achieve except without complete and total cooperation." His pacing continued.

"The Columbians need to understand," he continued only after sitting down, "that the cost to conquer Sabtan is simply too high for them. The only way we're to achieve this is if we make the assault on this nation truly untenable." His eyes darted around at the eight lords sitting at the table. Each served as something of a "duke" within the structure of the government. Each held a particular piece of territory and governed it according to his will. The only requires were fealty to Abdelmajid, the payment of taxes, and unflinching loyalty during times of crisis. This was a time of crisis and Abdelmajid had not said those exact words but he expected that the pirate lords do whatever he told them to do.

In many ways, Abdelmajid knew the Columbians better than they knew themselves. "We must remember our enemy. They are prideful but they learn. They are capable but yet they are stubborn. They are inventive and they can summon vast resources that we cannot. Days ago, you all sat back and watched while forces under my direct command vanquished the Columbians. None of you lifted a finger because it was not required. We set a trap for the Columbians, they took the bait, and we succeeded. Why?" He put the question to a silent table.

"Preparation," the lord of Al Hoceïma answered. Abdelmajid nodded to the table in appreciation and held out his hand as if to say, "Continue with your thought." The lord thus did so, "If what you say is true, it will take them many months to return."

"I would agree with that estimation,"
Abdelmajid answered.

"Then time is on our side."

"Only for so long,"
Abdelmajid held up a long, thick finger, "if you are suggesting we delay and take our time than I shall disagree. We may have months but we have much work to do. First, we must devise a strategy. To do so, we must think on how they will attack again. Second, we must make implementations on that strategy and prepare our defenses. Third, last, and most important, we must build up our reserves of weapons, ammunition, food, water, and so on and so forth. The Columbians will be coming from afar, which means their supplies will be limited. Their strategy, whatever it is, will be to gain a foothold and thus to sustain their military with what they can pillage from our own lands. Yes, those who fight against piracy will pillage, trust me. It will not be hypocrisy but necessity. If we can outlast them, they will return home, defeated again."

"Will then they stop?"
The lord from Tangier asked, himself nervous of the idea of his prized city, Tangier, the largest and most populous in Sabtan, being put under siege.

"Maybe," Abdelmajid said truthfully, "maybe not," he added. "We have to assume the latter and that is why we must make their defeat more severe than anything they have faced before." He looked now to the military leaders who were grouped together around the room and at the far end of the table. "Time is not on our side. We must devise this strategy sooner rather than later but we cannot rush it. An impossible task you might be thinking? I must impress upon you all the seriousness of the matter, do you understand?" Heads nodded. Abdelmajid turned back to his pirate lords, "Their strategies will require commitment and resources from each of you. If we do not give one hundred percent, we will fail and those too cowardly to die in battle will hang from a Columbian noose. The Columbians will make sure of it, I promise you. Now, let us discuss what commitments each of us can bestow so that we can begin this strategy."

It had been weeks since that meeting and Abdelmajid stood in his office, staring down at a map of his kingdom. Symbols only he understood had been scrawled all over the map, each one signifying some aspect of his military strategy against the eventual Columbian invasion. He expected that they would attempt multiple landings along the Atlantic coast and move over the roads to assault the strongholds first. Each of his pirate lords called various cities their home and the Columbians would undoubtedly look to siege each one in an attempt to cut off the heads of the kingdom. They would, in his estimation, save him for last, coming to attack Almina Fortress only after they'd secure enough of the territory of Sabtan. His territory was small, a bit over 4,500 acres per the latest survey, a fraction of what the Kingdom of Sabtan occupied, which was nearly 5,800 square miles. His 4,500 acres amounted to less than an eighth-of-a-percent of the total territory of the kingdom. By the time they got to it though, the Columbians would be war weary and would have sustained losses from months of fighting. Abdelmajid would be fresh, holding his men back until the enemy came to his doorstep. It would, in his eyes, be a rout.

The plan was simple yet it would be effective. The pirate lords would position their forces in waves. The initial defenses would be present but not significant. Abdelmajid didn't want to lose too many men defending the beaches, knowing that to drive the Columbians away, he would have to let them land first. He couldn't make them bleed from the sea but he could in the mountain passes and cities of his kingdom. As the men came ashore, they would set their sights on the strongholds of each pirate lord and move towards them. As they did, they would be fighting against prepositioned men who would whittle away their ranks. In addition, there would be ambushes and night attacks on their encampments. They would not be looking to cause hundreds and thousands of enemy casualties with each battle because they knew if they did, they would lose too many men. Instead, they wanted to whittle down the Columbians in ones and twos, fives and tens.

The one thing he didn't know was where the Columbians would land and that was why Abdelmajid was staring at the map, like he'd been doing every day. He also didn't know how many ships and thus men they would bring. He knew that his own kingdom could muster close to nine thousand men and if he could convince the Baleares lords to fight, maybe add another thousand or two more, tops. Between the two kingdoms, they could put eighteen, maybe twenty ships to sea that could work to fight against the Columbians on the open waters, drawing their attentions away from their land campaign. Still, he knew the Columbians could muster at least double and double was what he was hedging on, twenty thousand men, forty vessels, and the supplies necessary to land them.

But where will you land? He asked himself over and over as he looked at the map. His markings showed where he expected the likeliest spots beaches that would present an invading force good visibility and prevent them from getting bottlenecked. Unfortunately, there were too many good landing spots and he couldn't cover each and every one of them. The rocky terrain from Larache south meant that it was very unlikely there would be a landing there. Still, he wondered if the Columbians would be so daft as to land within spitting distance of Larache. If there was one weakness in his plan it was Larache. A sizeable province within the kingdom, Larache was ruled by a pirate lord who was the least committal of all. Worst of all, the Columbians were familiar with Larache. In years past, Columbian ships had been sighted off of the coast and sometimes they closed to within range of their cannons and engaged coastal fortifications. If there was anywhere the Columbians knew better than others in Sabtan, it was Larache. To make matters worse, Larache sat at the mouth of the Loukkos River, which ran all the way inland, giving the Columbians inland access.

They could move down the river quickly enough to lay siege to Ksar el-Kebir and from there, continue deeper into the province of Larache and its southeastern neighbor, Ouezzane. Abdelmajid didn't like his odds in Larache but knew he couldn't devote too many men to defend that area if just because it was so far from Tangier and Tetouan and his own fortress. If the Columbians went that far south, they could continue inland along Sabtan's southern border all the way to Al Hoceïma. It was a vast tract of land and almost too much for him to cover. Also it would be the widest part of his kingdom and mean that the Columbian troops would need to waste considerable men and resources traversing it. "They won't do that," he continually reminded himself but then wondered if they would. He also wondered if they would move north from Larache instead of east and up to Tangier, lay siege to and cut off the city, and then move east to Tetouan. Slicing off both major cities would hurt Sabtan and put him in a precarious position. The lords of both provinces would want support. They would be asking the other lords to move their troops northward and for Abdelmajid to release the men defending his 4,500 acres. If he refused, they would mutiny. If he obeyed, he would leave himself vulnerable. There was no right answer here and he continued to ponder his map, wishing to know what the Columbian plan was, wishing to foretell his future. Abdelmajid didn't, for one minute, think he would be defeated but he didn't think he could deliver the kind of crushing defeat he knew he would need to deliver to keep the Columbians from coming back a third time. For a man so sure of himself and his strategies, for once, he was stumped.

• • • † • • •

Last edited by Layarteb on Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:03 pm

.:.
Chapter I
Upon the Perilous Seas

• • • † • • •

Friday, August 6th, 1706 | 10:10 hrs [GMT-5]

Columbia City, New York | Fortress of Comhghall
40° 41' 28" N, 74° 0' 58" W

King Randall slammed his palm down on his desk, standing in a fit of rage as he listened to the dour and otherwise depressing words coming out of the mouth of David Wolford, the country's lord high treasurer. "That's enough!" Randall shouted as he rubbed his forehead, a headache pulsating just beneath his temples and inside of his skull. "I'll not have another history lesson about my father and my father's father," he spat, sitting back down, his face flushed red. From his chair, David sat silent, admonished by his King amongst a dozen peers seated in various places around the King's office.

Yet David wasn't one to be admonished for long. In a world where kings ruled absolutely and few dared cross paths with them, David was an exception. Slightly older than the King, he was significantly more accomplished and, in the words of the King himself, irreplaceable. It went far to inflate the man's ego. Though aristocracy by birth, David was not just any aristocrat, many of whom existed to do nothing but sit on their pompous wealth and collect dividends and profits from afar. David had proven his mettle successfully in the financial world of the Kingdom of Columbia, he'd traveled afar as a lecturer on financial matters, and - of course - he was the King's brother-in-law.

"Sire," David responded, his voice carrying a level of authority that even the King himself found unnerving, "I will not be spoken to in that way. I am the Lord High Treasurer and that means it is my duty to inform you of the financial state of affairs of this nation and of your own accounts and the situation is dire. You will receive a history lesson because you do not seem to learn from history." The King moved to interrupt him but David carried on without so much as a hiccup. Those present in the room were astonished, paralyzed by what was happening. "Your grandfather borrowed five hundred million dollars for his wars, five hundred million from the aristocracy and nobility of this nation and at ludicrous interest rates. Your father only exacerbated the figure by doubling it and with the same foolishness. One billion dollars, that is what you inherited in debt when you stood upon that throne. One billion dollars.

"What have you done? In eleven years, our debt has gone from one billion to just a hair, and I do mean a hair, shy of two billion. It is 1.971 today, do you understand that figure, Sire?"
The way he said "Sire" was with contempt, like a father scolding a child for something blatantly and grotesquely wrong. "Do you know what we pay in interest each year on our debt? You don't. I tell you time and again but you don't. It's over 135 million. That is per year. Per year," he emphasized. The King remained silent, listening, finally. "Do you know what this war has cost us so far? Six hundred million. I haven't even added that into our debt yet. This is where we stand today. We are over 2.5 billion in debt right now, at this very moment, and that is even before you launch the next expedition against Sabtan, before the next round of interest payments, before the next folly that bests our nation. Do you understand?"

The King straightened his posture. He hadn't been talked to in such this way in a very long time and it had triggered some sort of primal reflex in him, some sort of latent feeling of helplessness, not unlike a child facing a nightmare and crying for his mother to save him. "Everyone out," the King finally said and not with a yell or a scream but with an even tone of voice matched by a gesture that waved towards the door. Like the sycophants that they were, the men in the office scurried to their feet, tails tucked between their legs, sullen from the lack of inclusion but fattened by the next biggest gossip story to filter through the royal court. When the door had finally closed and the King was alone with his brother-in-law, with the only man who had the fortitude and security to stand up to him, he finally spoke again. "We are between a rock and a hard place. I inherited a financial disaster. I have placated the people to avoid further disaster. And yet here we are, in debt up to our eyeballs. I launched this war against the pirates as much for prestige as it was hope that we could seize upon their treasures and pay down our debts, to placate the leeches that suck the very blood from this kingdom.

"My father and his father were shortsighted and perhaps so am I for waging this war but we will press on with it. We will not be bested by pirates. Pirates David, do you understand the scourge that are pirates? Pirates besting this nation, a nation. What are they but vultures who prey upon the just in this world."

"Don't give me that shit,"
David answered back, "we've done our fair bit of piracy. Our war is piracy! We call it 'just' because we are a nation-state recognized by other nation-states and they are not. This war will bankrupt us further. We are at a point of no return."

"We cannot allow Sabtan to win. Our navy and our army will return to their shores and we will be victorious and we will seize whatever treasure they have, whatever is in their treasury, and we will bring it into our own."

"Along with more land to defend, more mouths to feed, this is foolish. There are alternatives to this, alternatives that will not add to our debt so rapidly that I will struggle to add it. Embargoes, blockades, isolate Sabtan, starve them out, prevent them from waging piracy upon the high seas by preventing them from leaving their very lands. For Christ's sake, appeal to our allies in Europe."

"Our allies want nothing to do with this and embargos? Blockades?"
The King laughed, "Weak nations embargo; indecisive nations blockade. We are neither weak nor indecisive. The invasion will happen, as scheduled, as planned, and we will be victorious. I will not be the laughing stock of the world because I surrendered to pirates."

"Then we will add more and more to our debt, we will add irrecoverable amounts."

"Then you will solve this crisis,"
the King rose from his chair, suddenly feeling the authority vested in him, "I want you to solve this. We are 2.5 billion in debt and climbing. We'll be over three billion soon, will we not? And then what, four? Five? Six? We cannot spend less. Figure it out. Do we tax the nobility more? Do we tax the people?"

"You want me to solve your financial irresponsibility?"

"I don't want you to, I'm commanding you to. Or are you going to leave Columbia and never return? Do you go into self-imposed exile because of our fiscal crisis?"

"Do you understand that our interest payments alone are half of our annual budget. Half."

"Then widen the gap. Our debt isn't going away by itself. Figure out how to make it go away. Now leave me."
David stood and gave a slight bow. As he walked towards the doors though he was stopped in his tracks by the King, who'd sat back down, "And David, if you ever speak to me like that again, I'll have you thrown in the dungeon and I will lose the key. Family or not, I will not be spoken to in that manner."

"Yes, Your Majesty,"
David answered through gritted teeth, not so much as turning around to face the King, not that the King was looking up from his desk to notice. David exited the King's office and passed through the gaggle - perhaps the best word to describe them - of noblemen and aristocrats who did nothing all day but given poor council to the King in exchange for "royal recognition." David couldn't stand any of them, knowing that combined they couldn't be trusted to run a brothel, let alone advise the leader of a nation. The hushed whispered silenced as David walked through the room and out into the rest of the castle, onward to his carriage waiting outside that would take him back to his office, where he was charged with finding a way to circumvent the King's recklessness, no tall order.

• • • † • • •

Last edited by Layarteb on Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sun May 28, 2023 10:35 pm

• • • † • • •

Wednesday, September 1st, 1706 | 11:35 hrs [GMT-5]

Brooklyn, Columbia City | Headquarters of the Royal Columbian Navy
40° 41' 55" N, 73° 57' 54" W

Henry Weidman wore the rank of admiral, one of six men who held that rank in the Royal Caribbean Navy. There were four admirals in charge of the four fleets: the First, which lorded over the Western Atlantic; the Second, which lorded over the Caribbean and was the choicest of postings; the Third, which lorded over the South Atlantic and was the least desirous; and the Fourth, which lorded over the Eastern Atlantic. It was the Second Fleet and the Fourth Fleet that had the most action, mainly dealing with the Empire of Mexico, in the Caribbean, and piracy, in both the Caribbean and the Atlantic. Until Abdelmajid bested Rear Admiral Lorenzo William's flotilla, the Fourth Fleet had an unblemished record for quite some time. The other two were not fleet admirals but rather admirals of the navy, each of whom sat at a level higher than Weidman but in a purely administrative role. These two admirals had served in fleets and rather than retiring, moved up to the navy's central leadership, choosing to push their final days in the service leading the navy, rather than telling stories about it.

When Weidman's turn to hand over the First Fleet came, he didn't want to retire to tell stories but neither did he wanted to move into a purely administrative role. He wanted the big job, that of First Admiral of the Navy, the highest-ranking position in the navy and perhaps the most respected military rank in the nation, even above that of General of the Army, at least in Weidman's eyes. He was navy so he was biased, to say the least and Weidman felt the position within his grasp. He was fifty-six and still had two more years as commander of the First Fleet, which would cap four years leading the fleet. He'd had nothing but successes in his name thus far but he didn't have a major victory, not like his counterparts in the Caribbean or the East Atlantic. When the Açores fell, Weidman cheered but quietly seethed that the glory went to Admiral Braun. He'd lobbied hard to take command of the Açores operation but Braun had the King's ear and thus, won the contest. However, Braun was already fifty-nine and due to retire in just one more year. He wouldn't be getting the big job, simply because he'd been born a few years too early. At this, Weidman saw victory over his rival. Weidman just needed to wait out the two years but, more importantly, he needed a major victory to hold over Braun and flaunt before the King and his boss, First Admiral Ira Locke who occupied the office just three doors down from his.

Today was Weidman's chance to start that major victory. In the wake of Redmon's defeat, Weidman had successfully lobbied the King and First Admiral Locke that the First Fleet should be sent to Sabtan. He lobbied based on fleet readiness and strategy, arguing that Sabtan had encountered the Fourth Fleet many times before and thus were prepared for them. The First Fleet, he argued, would bring fresh tactics and strategy to the fight. It was bullshit and Weidman knew it for all of the officers in the navy came out of the same institution and knew the same tactics so Weidman was talking out of his ass at his audience with Locke and the King, the former gauging Weidman's argument while the latter was lost in thought. In the end, Weidman said enough to convince Locke and the King, which was the easy part. He'd spent the past few months since Redmon's defeat readying his fleet. Ships were being repaired, supplies were being procured, and strategies were being drawn, much of it from the fourth floor of the naval headquarters on the Brooklyn Naval Yard, the mammoth headquarters of the First Fleet.

The headquarters building was not entirely the centerpiece of the naval base but it stood out nonetheless. Just five years old, the building was deceptively large. From the outside it looked rather small even for its size, which measured 200 feet in length and 135 feet in width on its two, horseshoe-shaped wings. Yet each of its five floors boasted just over 20,150 square feet of space, which added up to over 100,000 square feet. The headquarters was styled not on Columbian buildings but rather on French buildings, bringing an entirely new architecture style to Columbia City, one that was positively received by virtually everyone. Grandiose in its presence, the building was a testament to the Kingdom's many naval traditions. On the first floor, the various administrative departments were based, which provided visitors would instant services while the second and third floors were reserved for the broader departments of the navy. The fourth floor was entirely dedicated to planning while the fifth floor was where the admirals sat.

On this Wednesday morning though, the fifth floor was entirely empty. Everyone had gathered on the fourth floor, where map tables had to be pushed out of the way to accommodate the many chairs brought in for what amounted to one of the largest meetings the navy had yet had. A podium had been brought in to provide the speaker with a commanding presence in the room, which was now occupied by the all of the senior officers in the First Fleet from captain all the way up to Weidman. Locke and his staff were present as well along with several army officers, including General Eldridge Summerlin, one of the most celebrated officers in the Royal Columbian Army. Yet Summerlin was only a guest this morning as was Locke. Leading the meeting was Weidman, who insisted on managing every aspect of the upcoming campaign against Sabtan. When victory came, he wanted to say that he had overseen it from the beginning to the end. Ambition was not lacking in this man, perhaps more so than his counterparts in the other fleets, which didn't necessarily make the admiral everyone's favorite company.

Addressing the captains, commodores, rear admirals, vice admirals, and guests present, Weidman gave background on the campaign against the pirates and the successes of the Fourth Fleet. He laid praise upon Admiral Braun and hailed the successes of Rear Admiral Redmon, mourning the man and the lost sailors of the failed battle against Sabtan, which he was calling "The First Battle of Sabtan." He intended it to be the first because he intended to have the last. "Abdelmajid is a fierce man," Weidman said to those present, "he is cunning and deceitful and he has achieved his position of power through strength and fear. Though capable he is, he has struck down rivals to ensure that he remains 'top dog' and so that is his biggest weakness. None can rise up who are more capable and cunning than he and thus, if we can beat him, we can beat all of his captains and generals.

"In just a few months, the First Fleet will sail east. We will sail with forty-two warships and twenty-four troopships carrying General Summerlin's army to the shores of Sabtan. We will bring over 2,600 guns to their shores and over 33,300 men, myself and yourselves included."
He walked over to the wall and removed a curtain that was hanging there, showing a detailed map of Sabtan. It was the one that they had put on the table but had now hung on the wall for all to see though there wasn't a man in that room who didn't have to squint or put on his glasses to see the map. Picking up a pointer stick, Weidman - in all his glory - continued, "Our path to Sabtan will take roughly six to seven weeks. The fleet will depart on November 16 with its full force along with three brigades of men under General Summerlin. We will head to Ponta Delgada over the course of approximately three weeks and replenish our rations. We will also take on an additional brigade of infantry and cavalry, bringing the total infantry force to just over 14,500 men. We anticipate being in Ponta Delgada for two weeks. During this time it will be crucial that Sabtan does not get word of our presence and so we shall enact extraordinary measures to prevent ships from heading to the east with news. This is also why we are stopping here and not Funchal, Funchal being simply too close to Sabtan's ships.

"Once our two weeks are up, we shall head into battle, approximately one week later. Our intent is to land the first brigade of men at Larache, the weak spot of Sabtan. Our ships will shell the main fort from the sea and provide covering fire for landing troops, who will land safely away to the north and then move east and then south before capturing Larache. As you are aware, Sabtan is ruled by Abdelmajid and his eight pirate lords, each of whom have a piece of Sabtan under their direct control. Abdelmajid has the smallest piece of land but the most protected in that it is on the eastern coastline and not exposed to the Atlantic. Each of these lords pays tribute to him in what they steal and provide him with men and support. Toppling one will not mean the rest will go but it will send a tidal wave throughout Sabtan. Larache is by far the weakest and we know this because of Admiral Braun's many encounters with their pirates, many of whom sit in the brigs in the Açores and Madeira's.

"From Larache, our intention is to march north and south. Two additional brigades will be landed and one will march up to Tangier and the other to Ouezzane. Naval support will be available for Tangier, obviously not for Ouezzane. The army will be faced with a treacherous march that may take as long as eight to twelve days, depending on the resistance. Tangier should take roughly the same amount of time, giving our warships a chance to soften resistance along the coastline and in Tangier. Should both goals be accomplished, we shall have three of eight lords defeated and a major foothold in Sabtan.

"This is where we will need to pause. Supplies will need to be brought in as well as commandeered from the land. A fresh and final brigade will be landed in Tangier when the city is captured. They will move on Tétouan, five to eight days' march. Abdelmajid will now be cut off from his two lords in the south, in Chefchaouen and Al Hoceïma. They have a coastline and so we can expect that their ships will sail and attempt to support the battle at Tangier but it is our expectation that we will meet them in battle in the Atlantic or as they come through Gibraltar and destroy them before they can threaten our men.

"We believe that we may be able to support Tetouan and Al Hoceïma from the sea but that will depend on whether or not we are able to slip past Almina Fortress. I cannot give guarantees at this time. Provided we are able to defeat now six of eight lords, we will push on the final two, considered the strongest because Abdelmajid banks upon them to protect his territory from overland invasions. Our men will consolidate and push from the south and the from west. Naval support will be present for the final push. The end goal is a western assault on Abdelmajid's territory and a final assault on Almina Fortress. Whether Abdelmajid is captured alive or dead is of no consequence. If he is captured alive, he will be hanged for his crimes and if he is captured dead than we shall show his body to all as a symbol of Columbia's strength. With Sabtan's defeat, all that remains is Baleares. We shall regroup and move on Baleares when the time is right though I would not be the only one in this room to believe that a surrender could be affected without ever firing a shot. Baleares is weak in comparison to Sabtan, in fact it is the weakest of all of the pirate kingdoms if just because it benefits from Sabtan's protection.

"Baleares will be tasked to defend Sabtan. We are factoring their men and ships into our projections. A defeat at Sabtan could leave them incapable of defending themselves to an invasion, hence the possibility that we can affect a surrender before ever having to fire a shot."
He took a deep breath, "Now I know I talked a lot and many of you will have questions so before I got further, let's field those questions." Dozens of hands went up in the room and Weidman beamed, ready to answer each and every one of them with the magnificence that he afforded himself.

• • • † • • •

Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Return to International Incidents