NATION

PASSWORD

Pale Sunlight, Bright Moonlight (FT, Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Founded: Feb 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:41 pm

Commander Samantha A. Byrne, CF
Battlestar Majestica, Colonial Fleet Reclamation Facility
Second Cylon War, Day 86

“DRADIS contact,” Major McCreary snapped suddenly. “Reading two large contacts, possible Cylon basestars, and… what the frak is that?”

Commander Byrne’s gaze, which had gone up to the DRADIS display as soon as the first report had been made, now snapped to look at her tactical officer out of amazement of his outburst. The fleet had been on edge for most of the last twelve hours, as the countdown to the point at which the Admiral would officially be overdue had continued, so it was perhaps hardly surprising that military bearing was a little bit frayed at the moment. After all, although Byrne or one of the other Commanders could take over in the event of the Admiral’s demise there had been a reason that none of them had been particularly inclined to take command themselves; it was not exactly what you could call a sought after position but rather one that was taken out of obligation and necessity. Who would want to be responsible for fighting a war that almost seemed hopeless, not just concerned with getting through individual engagements but actually having to try and come up with a strategy that would allow them to beat an enemy that was far superior in both numbers and firepower, as well as holding almost all of the strategic positions and resources for a hundred lightyears.

“Sound action stations, prepare to launch Vipers,” Byrne ordered crisply as her eyes returned to the DRADIS. “I’d prefer a more formal report, Major.”

“Yes, sorry, Sir,” McCreary replied, recovering himself somewhat. “Third contact is significantly larger than the other two, by some measure.”

Byrne frowned; the three contacts had jumped in some distance away from the Boneyard and the Fleet so they did not yet have a firm ID on the vessels, but if the third contact was larger than the other two, were they dealing with some sort of Super Basestar?

“Commander!” McCreary burst suddenly. “We’re receiving Colonial transponders!”

“Confirm that,” Colonel Rutledge snapped immediately, as he joined his command in looking up at the DRADIS intently.

McCreary was silent for a long moment before responding.

“Confirmed, Sir, I’m reading the Acheron, the larger contact is apparently designated as Black Wolf, and…” McCreary replied before suddenly stopping, obviously shocked. “The third contact, the second of the other two is reading as the Battlestar Galactica.”

The low murmur of conversation within the CIC, as the officers and enlisted crewmen quietly got about their duties whilst the command staff worked out what was going on, went silent at McCreary’s words. All eyes went to their Commander, who watched on the DRADIS display as each of the three contacts updated with their identity as the transponder information was accepted and the displays updated accordingly. It didn’t seem possible, at last report the Galactica had fled the colonies along with a fleet of civilian ships, apparently unaware that there had been other survivors and that the Colonies were only occupied rather than entirely annihilated. It was easy to see how such a conclusion had been drawn, given that communications in those early days had been dire before almost immediately being cut off as the Cylons had systematically destroyed the bulk of the Colonial Fleet. It stood to reason that there had been another Galactica due to enter the fleet shortly after the older ship’s commissioning, given the prestige of the ship’s name and its service during the First Cylon War.

“Receiving a message from Acheron-Actual. The Admiral is ordering all Commanders report aboard the Black Wolf, it is accessible by Raptor.”

“I’m sure he is,” Byrne commented wryly, glancing at Rutledge. “Well, I had best go find out what is going on, you have the ship, XO.”

It only took her a few minutes to reach the port flight pod, by which point there was already a Raptor waiting for her and ready to go, and she was soon stood between the two pilots watching out the front of the cockpit as they began to approach the small cluster of Colonial warships that were approaching the fleet. Or rather, what she had assumed to be a cluster of ships, but as they closed the distance it became apparent that the third ship, the Black Wolf, was not actually a ship as it was far larger. The second ship was significantly larger than the Acheron, her lines much sleeker but her closest physical resemblance being to the Battlestar Ares rather than the Majestica or Acheron. It was a ship of the Nova-Class, which tracked with its name as it stood to reason that the old Galactica would have been replaced by the newest, most powerful, and most advanced design.

The Black Wolf, Byrne was soon able to identify as they closed, was one of three Olympus-Class forward shipyards that the Colonial Fleet had operated; FTL-capable and well-armed that was intended to support an advance, repair ships and fabricate parts. In short, it was perhaps the single most useful military asset that the Admiral could have found; it had been assumed that all three of them had been destroyed by the Cylons as they were easily top-level targets. Presumably it had jumped away during the attack, doubtless screened by the new Galactica which had probably been under construction at the Black Wolf Shipyard rather than at the Scorpion Fleet Yards, which now proved to be a strategically fortuitous decision. How the Admiral had found them, or even known of their existence, remained to be seen but it was a strategic coup to say the least.

“Fair play, Spence,” Byrne murmured to himself. “How long until we land, Lieutenant?”

“I’ve never landed on one of these things before, Sir, but if that’s the flight deck up there then it shouldn’t be more than five minutes," The Pilot replied. “We’ve got half a dozen of our own Raptors, and a few Laudian shuttles, on approach, so it may take a little longer to get us all organised.”

“Do what you can, Lieutenant,” Byrne smiled. “I’ll content myself with gawking over the Galactica.”
Last edited by United Colonies of Kobol on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Founded: Nov 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:32 pm

Colonial Reclamation Facility
Ego te Provoco
Captain Melody Insaro

Melody wasn't one to hover over her bridge, but right now she couldn't even manage the rest period which she could of straight up ordered her programming to put her into. Her emotions were wearing on her and she wished she had been able to come along or send Iubar or something.

So she sat in the command seat, distractedly doing paperwork until she saw the young man at tactical suddenly stiffen.

"New contacts! Its..." The younger officer squinted at his data, "Its Acheron, an unknown warship and I'm not sure about the last one Ma'am."

"Well we have the Acheron on file so of course you know that one, what about their transponders?" She asked patiently. They had the time to go over it, the young man needed to learn.

He tapped some commands into his controls and looked pleased when the information came up as he wanted. "Ma'am, the other warship is Galactica, the other... vessel is called The Black Wolf."

"Ma'am." Communications interrupted. "Sorry but we have orders from the Admiral to report aboard The Black Wolf."

"Thank you Lieutenant." Melody said as she stood. "Call down to the shuttle bay and tell them I need my shuttle. Time to go find out what miracle Spencer pulled this time."

Melody ran a finger over the embroidered pattern of leaves on her cap as she watched their approach to The Black Wolf. It was an odd thing, it definitely was not a warship, at least to her eyes it wasn't, though she doubted Spencer would of gone swanning off into the void for anything less than something vital. It resembled something more like Bow and Arrow, though that was only because they had the trait in common of being large and very unwarship-like. If it was another asset like the repair ships it meant the war effort was now much better off then it had.

Still her nerves weren't exactly settled as she watched the impressive flock of shuttles and raptors all carefully flying into land at wherever The Black Wolf told them to land. Her eyes settled on the shuttle painted with an absolute mess of arrows all pointing towards its nose, Arrow's command shuttle, and sighed before putting the cap on her head. She didn't want to overthink things this early, with little sign of problems, but she made a mental note that she might want pull Spencer aside for a chat at some point, given the influx of people she couldn't be sure she could trust.
”Being an AI means being digitally guilty for a crime you did not commit.”
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Make secondary canal around Ever Given. Call it the Suez Lazy River Scenic Loop. Boom. Fixed.

I'm not digging this solution.

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:16 am

Black Wolf Shipyard, Colonial Fleet Reclamation Facility
Second Cylon War, Day 86

Admiral Spencer welcomed Commander Byrne, and the other Colonial Commanders and Laudian senior officers, on the main hanger deck of the station, which was bustling with activity as the station’s own defences included eight squadrons of Vipers. Gathered in a small cluster out of the way of the deck gang, the Admiral stood with two new Commanders facing the four other Battlestar Commanders, as well as the Laudian officers, all of whom were looking expectantly at their commanding officer. Spencer simply smiled, obviously rather pleased with himself, as he waited for the last Colonial officers to arrive, specifically Commander Goldsworthy who was coming across from the Battlestar Ares at the far end of the fleet. As they waited, it immediately became clear to Byrne that the station was incredibly busy, even with its defensive air wing taken into account, and she picked out at least a dozen small civilian craft that thad been shoved into storage in the hangers that backed out onto the main flight deck along with the Vipers. Indeed, in many respects it looked similar to the Boneyard’s central stations, with civilian refugees crammed into every space possible, so she was suddenly hopeful that the same was true here.

By the time Goldsworthy arrived, looking suitably sheepish and apologetic for her tardiness, the rest of the group was becoming increasingly agitated as they waited to hear from their obviously smug Admiral. Spencer himself was loving every moment of it, and waited another few moments before speaking.

“Thank you all for coming so promptly, I’m sure you’re all wondering where I got to, and who my friends are that I’ve brought back, so let me make a few introductions before I give you the run down of what happened over the last twenty-four hours,” Spencer began, looking at the group in turn. “On my left is Commander Tyler Baldwin, from the Battlestar Galactica, whilst on my right is Commander Commander Meredith Webber, who commands this station, I’m sure you’ll all have time to get acquainted with our new friends.”

Spencer paused for a moment as the two officers beside him nodded their greetings to the rest of the group.

“As for where I found them, as many of you will know I have been spending much of the last few weeks working through the Fleet Warbook, trying to confirm the destruction or survival of all of our Battlestars, which as I’m sure you’ll all appreciate is easier said than done, so I found myself getting caught up on an anomaly; the first and last names on the list were the same; Galactica,” Spencer explained. “At first I thought this was a computer glitch, so I looked into it further, and realised that the second entry had a commissioning certificate, formal registration, the works, so I assumed that a new ship was being commissioned to replace the old one being decommissioned on the day of the attack, so started looking into where the new Galactica was being constructed.”

Spencer looked to both the Commanders beside him.

“The Black Wolf Shipyard was officially listed as retired in the Defence database, and her location redacted like the Boneyard, so she was overlooked by the Cylons during the attack, and because they thought it was retired they didn’t put much effort into finding it," Spencer continued. “Every ship of the Nova-Class has been constructed at Black Wolf off-the-books, mainly because of the advanced technology she’s equipped with, so I’m sure you can see the dots were beginning to connect up, with the exception of the location.”

Spencer paused again.

“I hit something of a dead end until a few days ago, when a Raptor reconnaissance run into one of the outlying systems took an image of the new Galactica, under her own fire and with Vipers in the air, conducting a reconnaissance, however they were unable to make contact as by now we're operating under different encryption protocols and neither Galactica nor our Raptor positively ID’d the other,” Spencer added. “However, it gave me a general area to search, and if I took the Acheron we could hang around long enough to make full visual contact, but I didn’t want to raise hopes here by letting you all in on the information in case anything went wrong, so I took my ship out alone, and made contact with these fine, lovely, men and women, and we soon arranged to consolidate our forces here.”

The gathered Commanders were silent for a moment, before Byrne spoke up.

“You could have taken more than one ship.”

“Perhaps, however I had to make sure that Commander Baldwin and Galactica did not just jump away as soon as they saw a multi-ship fleet, so we had to draw them into making a visual ID, at which point it would be obvious we were a Battlestar rather than Cylons,” Spencer replied with a shrug. “It was a risk, but it was a calculated one and I am happy with the outcome… however, before we go any further, it looks like there are some more introductions that need to be done, both to myself and our new friends, from our Laudian contingent… we’ve been eagerly awaiting your arrival since Commander Byrne’s courier Raptor returned.”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 am

Colonial Reclaimation Facility
Black Wolf Shipyard
Captain Melody Insaro

Melody listened to Spencer’s story and felt at least some of her nerves relax. At least she wasn’t heading out to find his dead body and she was glad to have him back, with some impressive reinforcements at that.

She glanced over at the Commodore, the woman seemed unfazed by the story, perhaps just interested, but she was a new arrival out here, so she didn’t have the connections yet. Still once Spencer had stopped to address the many new Laudian officers she was quick to step forward, smiling brightly at the Admiral.

“Admiral Spencer, I am Commodore Dara Deianira from Arrow, one of the ships you no doubt noticed near your Reclamation Facility. I am the commanding officer of Task Force 1,” she said with a firm shake of his hand before turning to introduce the rest of the new Laudian officers. “These sorry souls are Captain William Alcott of Ut Supra, that beast of a carrier you see out there, Captain Jane Hapstan of Ego te Audendo, Captain Tyler Morrison of Ego te Incisura, Captain Oscar Whiell of Ego te Custodio and Captain Camilla Xavier of Ego te Deleo , all the Captains of like Insaro’s ship.” She said as she glanced over at Melody with a somewhat teasing tone creeping into her voice. “I was hoping I’d get to meet you in person Admiral rather than having to go searching for your corpse as Captain Insaro’s report spoke very highly of you and it would of been a shame to not to get to know you.”

Melody tossed a glare the Commodore, who didn’t seem phased in the least by it. She would admit it to anyone but the heterochromatic eyes unsettled her a lot, though her personality was fairly disarming to balance it out.

“Commodore,” Alcott said as he glanced between the two. “May I suggest you don’t try to piss off your subordinates?”

“I’ll take it into consideration Will.” Deianira replied. “But all jokes aside Admiral, we are glad to be out here to help with the war effort.”
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Make secondary canal around Ever Given. Call it the Suez Lazy River Scenic Loop. Boom. Fixed.

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:55 pm

Second Cylon War, Day 86

Handshakes were exchanged around the group, including between the newly arrived Commanders and both the Colonials and the Laudians. Admiral Spencer made some noises about arranging for some form of mixer for the coming days so that they could get to know each there properly, they would soon be fighting alongside each other so it would be good for them to get to know each other, as well as the fleet’s Colonels. Although he would not admit it, Commander Byrne rather suspected that the Admiral was secretly glad that she and the other Commanders had pressured him to take up flag rank, under fleet regulations. The Colonial Liberation Fleet was getting rather large by this point; six Battlestars and an assortment of smaller supporting craft, including half a dozen Gunstars and Combatstars. Although they would all have followed his orders regardless, even if the two newest Commanders were an unknown quantity in that regard, it certainly made it significantly simpler to have a single, higher-ranking officer in obvious command. Indeed, it had been for exactly this region that they had pushed for it; despite the obvious efficiency with which the Cylons had wiped out the Fleet there had been a not zero chance of other survivors.

“Alright, with her advanced virtual intelligence defence system, Galactica was able to hang in combat with the Cylons without succumbing to their hacking, so was able to conduct missions into the Four Systems to rescue survivors stranded in the space lanes,” Spencer explained. “As a result, there are over a hundred thousand civilians shacked up aboard this station, when added to the fifty thousand or so we have aboard the Boneyard’s support stations, plus the crews of all of our ships and the other personnel, gives us well over two hundred thousand souls.”

Spencer paused.

“As such, and given that our civilian population now significantly outnumbers our military, I do not feel that it is right that we maintain a solely military structure; as such, I will be ordering Presidential and Quorum elections to be held within two weeks of today,” Spencer continued, to some murmured surprise.“However, this is unlikely to change anything as far as the military situation goes; so in the meantime we will continue to proceed as we have done previously, although Galactica will certainly give us some additional options.”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:22 am

Black Wolf Shipyard
Captain Melody Insaro

The Commodore immediately leapt on the Admiral’s suggestion, telling him her plans to invite all the senior officers and their CAGs, if they had them, to attend a dinner so they could all get to know one another but with him missing she’s forestalled the plan as it was rude to not invite Admirals to parties. (Which got her a few chuckles from her own subordinates.) She could shanghai Ut Supra as the great carrier was meant to be a flagship and thus had the room for such things considering how many people were going to be there.

Most of the Laudian officers seemed impressed that they had saved that many civilians. The thought of being stranded in space after all the shit that had gone down was terrifying and it might not be the best situation, but at least they weren’t on the occupied Colonies. Melody had to admit it sounded... cramped. She’d never been a true civilian, a good chunk of her life had been serving the navy and all the sacrifices that came with that not to mention the fact that she was an AI so her needs were vastly different.

“That sounds like a great idea Admiral.” Deianira said. “It’ll keep the civilians busy and give them something to look forward to since I assume they’ll all be stuck here for the time being. Wish I could offer some sort of help with that but elections are practically sacred to Laudians so trying to help would probably be seen as interference even from my own people.” A couple of the Laudian Captains nodded seriously. Being a Democratic Republic with a rigorous voting system made them very keen on the voice of “The People’, even to the people who chose the military life where a superior’s word was law.

It was one of the reasons why Melody was willing to fight for a population that had tried to have her killed for the actions of someone else. She knew that eventually they could get the vote to turn the laws around, the opinions to change, etc. Not even the President had the power to override the voice of the people if the vote was cast. They weren’t perfect, no human was, they could always be scared into decisions that did not make sense, but also have their minds changed. Had it not been this way... Melody wasn’t sure, but she may of tried to do what Hive did. Escape far away to some distant land where she wouldn’t have to be worried.
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:24 pm

Second Cylon War, Day 86

Admiral Spencer nodded his agreement, but Commander Byrne could see the concern behind his expression. It was obvious that, much as he might be a firm believer in democracy, he did not like the idea of turning overall control over the effort to civilian leadership, especially given that with such a small electorate it was a pot-luck as to who they choose as their representatives, their President, and whether they were actually worth their salt. Whilst it was certainly true that, as the de facto Fleet Admiral even if his rank remained that of Rear Admiral, Spencer would still retain overall command over the military forces, and would therefore largely be able to set fleet policy and strategy, having political leadership potentially wading into the situation was a distraction that doubtless he would have preferred to avoid. Nevertheless, it was a testament to Spencer’s commitment to democracy and the founding principles of the United Colonies of Kobol that he had still made the decision; the Fleet could have continued to rule by de facto military law in the interim, as it was not like the civilians could have done anything about it, being reliant on the Fleet for pretty much everything.

It was, however, a unique situation to find themselves in. The United Colonies had been established as a loose federal republic, in which each of the Twelve Colonies retained a significant amount of autonomy and political power on their own worlds, with the Colonial Government only having authority over matters that concerned more than one colony, such as the collective defence. It was not for naught that the only federal legislature was in the form of the Quorum of Twelve, which consisted of one representative elected from each world rather than numerous such representatives, effectively giving each of the Twelve Colonies, from largest to smallest, the same voice as far as the direction of the nation as a whole went. Given that much of the day-to-day politics within the Twelve Colonies had taken place at the individual colony level, which was so far removed from the all-in-this-together nature of the Colonial Liberation Fleet (and its civilian component), it was far from perfect, however given that this was supposed to be a government-in-exile it was important to form the same government as was constitutionally mandated. If groups of survivors from individual colonies wanted to form their own sub-governments that was their prerogative, but it would be largely symbolic.

Truth be told, and she suspected that Spencer had the same concern, Byrne’s biggest initial concern was that the civilians would push for the establishment of a settlement on the surface of some habitable world in the interim whilst they waited for the liberation of the Twelve Colonies. Intellectually she could appreciate the desire, however form a military perspective it would be disastrous. Even if the world in question was some distance from the combat zone it would require a significant defensive form, at least two Battlestars probably more, at any given time to protect it from the Cylons and even with the addition of Galactica that would dramatically reduce the combat strength of any offensive force. In short it would spread them thin, but that was something that it was doubtful most civilians would be able to appreciate when given a choice between a planetary settlement and remaining cooped up in space for weeks, months, or even years on end.

“I appreciate the offer, Commodore, but we’ll manage I’m sure, and truth be told I’m a little uncomfortable with the Colonial Military conducting an election, as you can imagine,” Spencer replied honestly with a slight sigh. “Nevertheless, with so many civilians under our protection it is the right thing to do, even if it makes matters more complicated, and at least helps us discuss with your government in a more long-term, political and civilian manner.”

Spencer shook his head and smiled.

“Alright, are there any other questions for me or the Commanders before we head back to our ships?”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:48 pm

Black Wolf Shipyard
Captain Melody Insaro

“No questions from me Admiral.” Deianira said. “If you or your people need anything from Bow and Arrow at all, don’t be afraid to give me a call. I am at your service, I guess with an actual shipyard here now I’ll need to coordinate with Commander Webber as well if there are any holes you need filled at this point!”

Melody looked a bit conflicted as the rest of the Laudians all chimed in negative on questions as well, on one hand with the Commodore here and all the other capital ship captains outranking her, technically she had no need to go to Spencer directly anymore. And she was hesitant to step over Deianira when she was right here especially given the topic she needed to raise. On the other hand the more she waited for the ‘right’ moment, the more time there was for a mistake to have... bad consequences.

“Admiral I do need to discuss something with you, in private.” She did her best not to quail as the Commodore gave her a puzzled look, though not an inherently hostile look. “Sorry Commodore it’s a minor thing from before you arrived, if it was a problem I’d have told you.”

Deianira held the look a little while longer before giving a firm nod and turning to Alcott when he touched her on the arm to ask her something as they began to make their way back to their shuttles.
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:58 am

Rear Admiral Alexander S. Spencer, CF
Second Cylon War, Day 86

“Commander Webber?”

“The Black Wolf was designed to operate as a forward shipyard, not a full-service installation, she was designed to operate on a build-one repair-one model, now we can obviously switch to repair-two easily enough, if we need to dock any ships for major repairs,” Commander Webber replied. “However, as I’m sure you can already see we’re still going to struggle to support a fleet of this size from a volume perspective, even if we do improve the top-level capability, so we’ll definitely need your manufacturing infrastructure to boost ours, but we can discuss that in more detail over the next few days.”

With that the gathering began to break up, Spencer nodded to Melody to stay behind to discuss whatever she needed to. With the arrival of more Laudian officers, he suspected that he had something of an idea of what she wanted to talk about. He exchanged a few more words with his other commanders, passing a few orders and agreeing to sit down with others to discuss their concerns and requests going forwards. Such was the life of a flag officer, in many respects it was broadly similar to commanding a Battlestar but on a larger scale, with individual ships replacing individual departments.

Once they were on their own, relatively speaking given that the flight deck was still busy but far enough away to not overhear anything, Spencer turned back to Melody.

“I suspect I’ve got an idea,” Spencer commented wryly. “But what can I do for you?”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am

Black Wolf Shipyard
Captain Melody Insaro

Melody nodded, it was probably obvious what she was going to say but she wasn't leaving it to chance.

"Its about the new arrivals." She said. "I don't know any of the other commanders well enough to gauge their stance on the... AI issue so I just wanted to make sure that you, or your Commanders, didn't speak of it to any of them. I don't know how they will react to finding out the level of information you know." She shrugged. "They have only been here about half a day so that's not enough time to network and learn about their hidden hatreds or lack-there-of. Which leads into the second thing I need to tell you.”

Melody clasped her hands behind her, she was trying not to be nervous as she had been preparing for this since she sent Newman back home with her newer reports, but it was hard when she was no longer top of the food chain, which would of afforded her more protection from underlings discovering her secret than if someone above her did.

“I am doing my best, along with my cyber security people,” which meant her cyber security AIs, “to warn and teach the new arrivals about the cylons attacks but my ships are... stacked, I did not get the people I have without a bit of twisting from someone who knew I’d need the help.” So at the very least someone else in the AI resistance back home understood the danger they were facing out here. “But all the new Laudians might not be, I haven’t gotten any clues or signs that person was able to do anything about these crews so until I learn more they may not have the security my ships do, and more vulnerable to the Cylon infiltration attempts than my own.” She paused. “Bit of a minefield, but one I understood was coming, I just need a bit of time to get to know them.”
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:34 pm

Second Cylon War, Day 86

Admiral Spencer nodded.

“I’d already ordered my Commanders not to discuss the matter outside of themselves when you first told us, both to avoid any issues with your own people whose loyalties cannot be fully trusted and to ensure that my own people didn’t find out before we’re ready,” Spencer replied. “However, I’ll reiterate my orders to them over the next few hours, and I’ll hold off on bringing Commanders Webber and Baldwin into the circle on the information until I can get a better feel of them as I’ve not served with either of them before.”

Spencer paused as he listened to her concerns around the likelihood that these newly arrived ships would be more susceptible to Cylon hacking, and truth be told he had feared that it would be the case and had therefore already made some preparations. It had not been something that he had spread around with their Laudian counterparts, but Spencer had made clear to each of his Commanders that they were, whenever planning an operation, to prepare a contingency for one or more Laudian ships being disabled and the need to defend them whilst they got their systems back online. Without being able to completely take down their networks and operate all of their systems in local control, there was no defence that was impenetrable. The new Galactica certainly had the most advanced defensive systems ever installed aboard a Battlestar, but it also had the ability like all of its predecessors designs to cut the network and operate in local control. Indeed, had it not been for the back-door that had been built into the CNP the same would have been true for the rest of the Fleet.

“Well, we will have to make do as best we can, and plan for the worst so that we are ready for it if it does happen,” Spencer added with a frown. “We know that they’ve been trying each time we’ve faced them, I think we have to assume they will succeed at some point.”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:52 pm

Black Wolf Shipyard
Captain Melody Insaro

Melody gave a nod. "Of course. I know we've practiced a little, but with a sizable fleet here now the chances go up that something breaks at a critical point. I am very worried about the fighters, as I have no clue what kind of security is built into them given our navy has practically been ignoring them up until now, but until we test them against the Cylons its going to be a crapshoot. I'll see what I can do before hand to prevent problems." With that taken care of, she felt reassured. She of course trusted Spencer at this point but with all the new people and declaration of war, it meant there was a massive increase in the chances of AI being discovered as more people were brought into the effort to support each other, more chance to get injured or just plain trust the wrong person. She felt the very unpleasant memory of the only AI death she'd witnessed in person trying to crowd in and ignored it. At least if an AI died in war, their death would be less painful.

"But thank you Admiral. For everything." She smiled. "I'll let you get back to herding your cats while I go try to herd mine. If you need anything from me I'm still your humble servant, even with the Commodore over my head now." Melody gave him a salute before turning to leave.

Ego te Provoco

As Melody stepped back onto her ship, her human coding crying at her to sleep and she hid a yawn behind her hand as she stepped into her shuttle bay. She really needed to take care of that now. A quick glance around showed a visiting shuttle from Bow it seemed with the spare parts she had requested to refill her depleted stocks. That was nice to see and her crew looked to be playing nice as the flight crew for the shuttle looked over something with her own shuttle techs. It didn't look broken to her, and no one was panicking so it was minor most likely. Now with two of the repair ships here, and the shuttle being from one of them, it would be a breeze to fix.

She made her way through her ship, looking forward to collapsing on her bed for once if it would get the sleep code to shut up and back to her cabin, stepping in to the office portion and sweeping off her cap once in the privacy of her own space. She froze however when she saw the stranger sitting in one of the chairs in front of her desk. A man with dark skin and pale blonde hair to contrast, wearing the flight suit of a shuttle pilot as he turned to face her, the happiness on his face fading to concern.

"What the hell are you doing in my office?" Melody asked angrily, even as 'tired' as she was, she knew she had no meetings with anyone on her schedule, especially pilots not from her ship. "How did you get clearance into my office?!"

The man was about to reply when Hive came practically running back into the office and stopped in front of her. Its okay Melody I'm sorry I invited him here!

"You should know better Hive, this is my cabin and my ship. I don't care if he is the most trustworthy soul in the universe or even an AI, you don't just let people into places like this, especially shuttle pilots who have no need of being here! It looks bad." She scolded.

I know... Hive's voice in her head was soft, It won't happen again.

"You're dismissed." Melody said to the unknown man, her voice cold.

The man sighed and stood. "Yes Ma'am. I'm sorry I should of realized this was a bad idea." As he walked back Hive he looked down at her with a warm smile. "See you around sis." His voice was so soft she barely heard it.

Melody's hand shot out and grabbed the man's arm just before he could trigger the door to open. "What did you just say?"

"I said I was sorry for intruding on your cabin without your permission Ma'am." He responded formally.

"No," she turned to face him fully. "You called Hive your sister?!"

Very suddenly she felt her breathing catch and her entire... being felt frozen, almost dark for a second. A second(?) later she realized she had collapsed onto the floor, blinking stupidly up as Hive stood on her chest, her antennae waving erratically, her voice in her head seeming fuzzy and unclear. The unknown man was also looming over her but he just looked concerned.

I told you she was fine! Damn it Melody don't make me use your real name, you're fine now I swear. I checked. Hive's motherly voice was worried as it finally resolved into actual speech in her mind.

"What happened?" She asked sitting up carefully as Hive climbed off her. The AI turned its drone's head to look at the shuttle pilot and the man rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed.

"I'm truly sorry Captain I may have... killed you for about 5 seconds." He explained. "I thought you were a threat when you pointed out what you heard and I acted on instinct."

"What?" Melody noticed her voice sounded about as horrified as she felt.

I told you about this power before. Pick a single line out of AI code and kill the AI, its his special ability as a sub level 1 AI. Hive explained gently. Easy to reverse though or else I would of murdered him myself.

"Your brother?" Melody turned to the still unknown man, unknown AI, "You have a name?"

"Lieutenant Mazin Castello," Mazin replied, offering Melody a hand and pulling her back to her feet.

"You have a real name that'll throw red flags in my classified database?" She said as she staggered a little still feeling a bit off.

Mazin smiled. "Yes, though you aren't going to dump me out an airlock are you?"

"No, now speak or else I'm throwing you in the brig."

"Yes Ma'am."
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:27 pm

Battlestar Acheron, Colonial Fleet Reclamation Facility
Second Cylon War, Day 86

“Well, Sam, you must have made a hell of an impression out there,” Admiral Spencer commented as he handed Commander Byrne a glass of ambrosia as they sat in his quarters. “I sent you to get support, you came back with a declaration of war.”

Byrne laughed as she accepted the glass. After they had left the Black Wolf, Spencer had reassembled his senior Commanders, minus the Baldwin and Webber, aboard the Acheron to go over a few things whilst the new arrivals got settled in. As he had promised to Melody, he had reiterated his orders that the underlying matter of AI was not to be brought up with the Laudians, nor was Captain Insaro’s secret in that regard to be disclosed to anyone. The Commanders had, again, expressed their discomfort with keeping such information secret from their executive officers, and other senior staff, but they also understood the need to keep the secret, particularly in wartime. They had all fought alongside Captain Insaro, and the other AI on her crew, so they knew that they held no love for the Cylons, but it was also a grey area that they had no desire to wade into with the thousands of officers and enlisted crewmen under their command, not when morale was as delicate as it was, even with the successful mission of the Majestic to Maxis Laudi.

The arrival of the Galactica had certainly been a hell of a surprise, although the Commanders had also made quite clear how pissed off they were at him for swanning off without telling them where he was going or why. Nevertheless, everyone had quickly realised just how big an achievement finding the new Galactica was, given that it was more powerful and advanced than even Byrne’s own Majestic, not to mention the Black Wolf and everything brought with it.

“What can I say,” Byrne laughed. “I’m charming.”

“Indeed you are, and I’m grateful for it,” Spencer smiled. “It’s getting awfully messy, with their increased exposure to Cylon hacking, but I’m glad that we’ve got them with us regardless.”

Byrne nodded and sipped her drink.

“Do you think we can win this thing?” She asked, after a few moments.

“More than I did a few days ago,” Spencer conceded. “But we’re still climbing one hell of a mountain here, and even if we win the space battle, reclaiming the colonies will be…”

“A slog,” Byrne nodded. “With next to no ground troops of our own, and unable to co-ordinate with any guerrilla forces still operating.”

“We need to change that,” Spencer agreed. “But getting even small teams onto any of the Twelve Colonies once, much less regularly, will be difficult in the extreme.”

“Well, let’s put our heads together and see if we can’t work something out.”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:06 am

Ego te Provoco
Captain Melody Insaro

As the Laudians settled fully in with the Colonials over the week, a few things started to become apparent. First that the Laudians, especially Alcott, that while they had a solid base of fighters with pilots that understood how to fly, doctrine for actual fights against other fighters was a bit thin, so Alcott was working closely with the Colonials to get all the pilots up to a better snuff.

The second was more insidious. Problems with morale and discipline were to be expected from even the busiest people and other than the elections, there wasn’t much for people to do in their off time now. At first it was just a little bit of trouble, mostly among the civilians, whispers of a good time and clandestine trades. Then it grew, probably much more rapidly than it should have. A new drug of some sort, apparently called NDream, was now making its rounds through the Colonials. And while bad side effects seemed to be at a minimum(though this might just be the fact that no one has miraculously managed to OD on it yet) it was apparently very addictive. It had a range of effects depending on the person from inducing seemingly only extremely pleasant hallucinations to an effect described as ‘the best orgasm you ever had’, and sometimes both, if you were lucky. It wasn’t hard to see why such a drug would catch on real fast among a group of people separated from their homes, a lot of them probably having lost loved ones and stuck on ships and stations.

It was where it had come from that was the problem. Now of course suppliers and exactly where it was from were keeping themselves cloaked in secrecy. But one could infer a lot by the fact that the Colonials never had a drug called NDream and the problem having started only a week after the newer Laudians arrived. With shuttles almost always winging their way between every ship and station delivering supplies and people where needed, it was hard to pin down exactly where stuff was coming from. It wasn’t quite up to crisis levels yet, but it only taking about a week to go from whispers to an open secret was not a good trend.
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 am

Second Cylon War, Day 93

To say that Admiral Spencer was troubled would be an understatement. As had been expected, and indeed feared by most of the senior Commanders, the normal sides of Colonial political life had been temporarily abandoned in favour of a more fundamental disagreement. On the one hand, there was a group led by a retired Colonial Fleet officer, too old for further active service, but experienced and charismatic, Sebastian O’Rourke, who advocated for full political support for the military campaign to reclaim the colonies. On the other hand, there was a group of disaffected citizens, to which all those who had been the most vocal complainers of the conditions the civilians were required to accept, led by a career politician Angela Starling, who advocated for the establishment of a settlement on some planetary surface for the duration, as it could be years before the Twelve Colonies were reclaimed. The military implications of the two candidates were as starkly different as could be, and whilst Spencer and his Commanders had refrained from underlining these to their subordinates, this was happening organically on the lower decks and, given that the Colonial Fleet’s officers and enlisted outnumbered the civilians, it seemed likely O’Rourke would win the Presidency, but just the thought of the alternative, or even a troublesome Quorum of Twelve, was enough to give Spencer restless nights.

Which was without even considering the troubling new development of the past week; NDream, which had rapidly taken off amongst the civilian population of the Fleet in past week. Although obviously not intentional, it was obvious where the drug had come from, given that the samples tested by Colonial scientists confirmed it was not anything that had previously been seen in the Twelve Colonies. Although initial indications were that the side effects were comparatively limited, Spencer was concerned. So long as that stayed the case, amongst the civilian population it would be manageable, but any drug, even an apparently innocuous one, getting a foothold aboard a Colonial warship was simply unacceptable, and he had already come down hard on a few idiots aboard one or more Battlestars who had brought the substance aboard, both for personal use and to share amongst their friends. It could, after all, go wrong very quickly, as it was entirely unregulated and gods only knew where the damn stuff was coming from, how it was made, and the potential long-term side effects.

It was a delicate situation, however, given that it was obviously the Laudians who were supplying the stuff. Whilst Spencer’s marines could stop and search Colonial citizens aboard the ships and stations, although this would likely be the first matter raised before the Quorum of Twelve if he was not careful, he could not afford to be as heavy-handed with his allies. Attempting to stop and search every Laudian shuttle would be as offensive to them as it would be difficult, and that was the problem.

To that end, Spencer had extended an invitation for the senior Laudians to assemble aboard the Acheron for breakfast to discuss the development.

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:27 pm

Battlestar Acheron
Commodore Dara Deianira
Captain Melody Insaro

Melody was glad to be coming back aboard Acheron. It wasn’t like she had never been under someone else’s command before, but after so long helping Spencer as the main Laudian officer out here, it truly felt weird to be under someone else’s command on her own side, everything filtering through Deianira. It made her feel much more detached from the Colonials as a whole and she didn’t like that. Not that her own people weren’t nice but as the youngest Captain among the group she had no need to be interacting with Admiral Spencer on her own.

The week had not been exactly fruitful in trying to network any AI allies among the newcomers, other than Hive’s brother accidentally killing her, and even he was cagey about other AIs to his own sister. They were out there for sure, but their numbers smaller than those among Insaro’s ships. The human allies were more delicate to feel out though it felt strange how cryptic all the newer captains were to her given they were out here to fight an AI invasion of human worlds.

Her brooding over the disadvantages of the declaration of war was broken as she saw Deianira walk in, the last person to arrive and take her seat at the table for breakfast. She looked… worse than before. Like she hadn’t been sleeping well even on top of what she assumed was a permanent underslept look to her face. The bags under her eyes looked puffier, and did she look a little thinner? However she still seemed perfectly chipper as she offered the burden of flag rank as an excuse for holding up the whole affair and begging forgiveness from everyone for stopping them from enjoying breakfast. Melody glanced at Alcott and Vitor to see if they noticed or had any reaction, but they greeted their Commodore with smiles and nods, no concern that she could sense.

So she sat back, expression somewhat unreadable now that everyone was here to see how this whole little meeting would play out.
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:14 am

Second Cylon War, Day 93

Admiral Spencer was grim throughout the breakfast, held in Acheron’s wardroom, which was today serving as both an informal dining space for the senior officers and the meeting room that it was most commonly used for. The food itself was the normal wartime fare, albeit somewhat improved thanks to the food shipments that were coming through from Maxis Laudi, but it was simple if hearty and filling; more than adequate to feed officers and enlisted like for a long day of difficult work. By this point it was quite a busy gathering, given that it contained all of the Battlestar Commanders, and the Laudian Captains, in addition to the two senior officers themselves, but the space had been quickly adapted. The other senior Colonial Commanders were less overtly grim, but were quiet and looked tired; it was obvious that the strains of both overseeing the election, in a manner that did not put undue influence upon the outcome, regardless of how disastrous one of those outcomes might be, and the new crisis that was bubbling to the surface with NDream, was causing a lot of sleepless nights amongst the Colonial military leadership. It was perhaps fortunate that Spencer had ordered a halt to all offensive action until after the election.

Once the breakfast was finished, Spencer leant forward and placed his arms on the table as he looked around at the group.

“We’ve all been seeing the reports from across the civilian population of the proliferation of this new drug, NDream, which has spread rapidly, given the environments in which the civilians are currently required to live, given our current situation and their lack of familiarity with the difficulties and strains of long-term space habitation,” Spencer began. “Whilst initial reports indicate that no one has overdosed on this drug, I am still concerned by the spread, especially as we do not have much information on the medium-to-long term effects of such a narcotic; whilst I have instructed my medical staff to perform an analysis, this will not be as detailed as a full scientific breakdown in a lab back home.”

Spencer paused.

“Moreover, even if the drug proves out to not be a public health risk, I have very real concerns as to the impact it may have on our military readiness, if it is able to spread amongst the lower decks, which could have disastrous results,” Spencer continued, looking around at the group. “As such I am today issuing a standing order that NDream is strictly forbidden aboard any Colonial warship, or it’s use by any Colonial personnel, and I will be recommending that our new President, whoever that turns out to be, bans the drug amongst the civilian population.”

Spencer paused again, knowing that he would have to be somewhat delicate.

“However, we can ban the substance all we like, however as we all know, making something illegal just pushes it underground, so we need to cut off this issue at the source, as quickly as possible, and that is why I’ve asked our Laudian friends here this morning,” Spencer commented. “Whilst I do not wish to offend, nor to accuse any of your people directly, given that NDream was not present in the Colonies, and we hardly have the capacity to produce such a substance in space, the only logical explanation is that the supply of this drug is coming from the more recently arrived Laudian ships.”

Spencer grimaced.

“Now, short of searching all of your ships going back and forth, or searching everyone getting off them and every container, which will be as impractical as it will be potentially inflammatory, there is little that I can do from my end to locate the supply and cut it off,” Spencer said grimly. “As such, I would request, Commodore Deianira, that you immediately order and investigation into the supply of this drug, and work to cut off the supply to the Colonial population, whilst I handle the user-end as much as is possible.”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:03 am

Battlestar Acheron
Commodore Dara Deianira
Captain Melody Insaro

The moment the name of the drug was mentioned, some of the Laudian captains exchanged glances and Alcott in particular shared a look that was almost a glare with Deianira.

Deianira sighed, reaching up to run her temples in frustration. “I’ve been getting well aquatinted with your technology Admiral over the week and I am not sure if anything but a full grown planet-based lab of yours would be able to nail down exactly what it is.” She paused, the silence a bit awkward.

“Just tell him.” Alcott said.

“I am.” Deianira snapped at him, leaving one hand to rub the right side of her face under her blue cybernetic eye. “NDream isn’t, exactly, a drug Admiral, not in the traditional sense of being some chemical combination consumed to cause side-effects. It’s in its name, NDream, Or NanoDream is a nanite that is modified to light up the brain’s dopamine receptors like a fireworks display. Depending on the person it can have some knock on effects other than ‘make happy’. It’s technically completely safe to its users.”

“It’s also really addictive.” Alcott added, “as you apparently now know. Minimal side effects but distracting as all hell, I thought you were keeping a close eye on your medical nanite suites.” It was almost an accusation.

“I am!” Deianira's tone was frosty. "Sorry about the bickering Admiral. There are only 3 ships here with the capacity to make NDream in anything approaching a 'commercial' venture and that's Ut Supra, Bow, and Arrow. the other ships have smaller nanite production capacity to fit crew size, but my supply ships and the carrier are designed to be able to produce extra as fleet support units. We had a small problem with this back in Sol and we have been keeping a close eye on the nanite generators, though with the change in scenery I haven’t been watching over it as hard. I thought I dropped all the troublemakers back on Maxis Laudi, apparently not.”

“I’ve never heard of this stuff before now.” Melody chimed in.

“You wouldn’t have, it was invented on Bow and flogged to the masses of citizens in Sol while we were stationed there as a get rich quick scheme.” Deianira shook her head. “And it spread from there, I had been cracking down on it since we found out about the NDream ring, but I’ll turn the heat up again Admiral.” She stopped rubbing her face. “From all we know, it shouldn’t cause any side effects. Not physical ones. The addiction is all psychosomatic but to a bored spacer and especially civilians..." she shrugged.

"I'm sorry that I seemed to have brought a problem to your people but if you don't mind some good news among the bad. Between my own ships, Black Wolf and the Reclamation Facility I think we've pretty much banged out the who can do what better and as of a few days ago we've supplied some much needed parts for your efforts in reactivating the ships here. So far everything I've had Bow and Arrow make for your people tests out fine." She shrugged. "Wish that news wasn't the chaser to a drug problem, but I guess that's just the way the universe works."
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 am

Second Cylon War, Day 93

Admiral Spencer’s eyes narrowed, ever so slightly, as he watched the exchange between the Laudian officers. It was a small, almost imperceptible, action but those had known him for some time, Commander Byrne in particular, knew the level of disapproval and annoyance that was behind the subtle gesture. Truth be told, Spencer had been increasingly disaffected with the new Laudian Commodore over the past days; he had forged a solid working relation with Captain Insaro and would have much preferred to continuing dealing with her as the senior Laudian officers. The irony that the senior Colonial officer was most comfortable with dealing with an artificial intelligence, whilst their home worlds were being trodden under the chrome-plated boots of the Cylons, was not lost on him. It was a growing annoyance that he had shared with Byrne, during one of their commiseration sessions late in the evening, because it was not a situation in which he could really request (or demand) a replacement, after all the Colonials were simply not in a situation where they could risk even the chance that doing so would cause the Laudians to pull their support entirely. It was unlikely that they would, but even a small risk in that respect was simply unacceptable.

“I appreciate that, Commodore, as my concern even if the physical side effects are minimal to non-existent is that this will undermine the Colonial Fleet’s wider anti-drugs policy,” Spencer replied, leaning forwards with a sigh. “We have a complete no tolerance policy on pretty much any recreational narcotic, and restrictions on the few that we allow, like alcohol and tobacco, so allowing something like this to spread is unacceptable.”

Spencer shook his head.

“That is good news, as it would dramatically streamline and improve our mechanical supply situation, which is by no means a bad thing, and will allow us to speed up our repair processes and timelines, which will allow us to recover from battle damage much, much quicker,” Spencer continued. “Having the replacement parts for the reactivated ships will help as well, although sooner rather than later we’re going to come up against manning issues, even if we cut down the requirements as much as possible without compromising combat capability.”
Last edited by United Colonies of Kobol on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:58 pm

~6 Days Later

To Deianira's credit, the Laudian Commodore had enacted a swift and almost brutal crackdown oh the NDream problem. Posting guards on the medical nanite generators, needing logs of who uses them and when, searching their own shuttles and even throwing some people in the brig. It helped keep the problem under control but there was obviously still some NDream out there, perhaps stock that was already made and very well hidden. It had skyrocketed in value given it was likely to being down the wrath of the authorities but over all it was at least under control, if not hard on those going cold turkey.

At least until an enlisted on one of the warships turned up dead.

Even with Spencer doing his level best to keep the fleet clean of the drug, apparently there had been enough hidden somewhere, somehow, for the woman to... overdose? It was honestly unclear exactly what the hell was wrong or how given the unknowns around the drug. She had been found simply sleeping in her bunk no blood, no struggle, it almost looked natural, at least until they'd found the needle and upon closer inspection noticed in the more delicate tissues (like the mouth and in the eyes) a strange silver sheen that should not of been there.
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:45 am

Battlestar Solaria, Colonial Fleet Reclamation Facility
Second Cylon War, Day 99

Admiral Spencer’s expression was hard and grim as he strode through the passageways of the Battlestar Solaria, alongside its Commander and his former XO, Marcia Constanza. As they reached one of dozens of duty lockers, compartments which held up to ten enlisted (or indeed even junior officers, as space was a premium even aboard a ship as large as a Battlestar), they were met by two grim-faced Colonial Marines, serving as MPs, to secure what was being treated as a potential crime scene. Being allowed to pass by virtue of their ranks and positions, the former CO and XO entered the compartment to find the Solaria’s chief medical officer, and half a dozen medical technicians, gathered around one of the bunks performing in-situ tests and making initial observations. The victim was a young deckhand, part of the fight deck crew on the port flight pod, and had only been in the Colonial Fleet for a matter of months prior to the outbreak of the War, and as such it seemed likely that she had been particularly vulnerable to the appeal of a drug like NDream… and now it had cost the young woman, who by all accounts had possessed a great deal of potential, her life.

As the two senior officers questioned Solaria’s CMO, it quickly became apparent that what had originally been assumed to be natural causes was actually the result of NDream, once the telltale signs of drug use had been discovered, along with the unusual condition of the body in a few places. Acting on her own authority, Commander Constanza had already ordered word of the nature of the death to be a closely guarded secret, although the actual death itself would be impossible to hide given that an entire duty locker of junior enlisted personnel had been turfed out after one of them discovered the body. It was a tragic, and utterly pointless, death, one that the Colonial Fleet could scarce afford right now, but the consequences of word of what had happened spreading could be far worse, for a wide range of reasons. Given that the circle was currently small, the two senior officers and the medical staff, with even the two MPs unsure of what they were securing beyond a dead body, so it ought to be possible, but speculation could be just as dangerous, and Spencer was loath to lie to his people, so he was in something of a difficult position, all things considered.

Especially given that his immediate instinct was to order a complete deckplate-to-deckhead search of every compartment on every ship in order to root out the damned drug that had taken the lives of one of his people, and whilst it was legally within his authority it could also be seen as something of an overreaction given that only one death had taken place. Moreover, it was in many respects a political decision, given that the formally uncertain position of the substance, even if Spencer had decided to treat it as an illegal narcotic. Unfortunately, Spencer was not sure whether or not he could wait that long; a lot could happen in the next week.

“Marcia, pass word to your fellow Commanders, I want to institute searches of all Fleet personnel returning to a warship from any of the civilian ships or stations, position it as a precautionary measure for now, and enforcing the Fleet’s anti-drug policy,” Spencer ordered quietly, stepping aside with his former XO. “I”m more concerned about the civilian population if news of this death breaks, especially with the election ongoing, I don’t want to a panic, but bring your Chiefs of the Boat into the loop as well, they’re going to have a better idea of what’s going on amongst the enlisted than we will.”

Spencer sighed.

“And pass a word to Captain Insaro, I don’t trust that Commodore as far as I could throw her, but we need to let the Laudians know, and one ship CO to another is less likely to ruffle feathers than if I reached out directly, given that Insaro was their senior officer,” Spencer added. “I want her advice on how to proceed, she knows her people better than we do, and the simple fact of the matter is that this stuff is coming from them, I don’t want to cut off their ships from ours entirely, as it’ll be a logistical nightmare aside from anything else, but if I have to I will.”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:08 am

Ego te Provoco
Captain Melody Insaro

Melody was feeling... unsettled. Ever since the new arrivals had joined them she'd been effectively separated from the Colonials. Not on purpose she could tell but there was always a reason for her not to really be in contact. Her crew still had friends and some other reasons to mingle with the Colonials though, so it wasn't like Melody was isolated, but it certainly felt like it.

The drug problem wasn't helping and Deianira's tightening of medical nanite access had also had her own sick bay posted with guards and keeping a hovering watch over her own crew. A good portion of which couldn't use the drug and most of the others knowing better than to try.

There were other things bothering her too. Undefined things which made her anxious in a way she couldn't define. Instincts perhaps? She didn't think she had them, but it was a good a word as she could manage to slap on the feeling of something wrong with no clear cause.

So when she got word that Spencer needed to talk to her she managed to, quite easily, take a quick flight over to the Admiral so she could speak with him in person. No one said anything, no one even seemed to care that their most junior officer was visiting the Admiral. The problem with Deianira didn't seem to be that she would take offense to Melody jumping over her head, it was just that the Commodore was... suppressing the Laudians. Distracting them with subtle little ways that kept them at a distance from their Colonial counterparts. Nothing malicious, nothing overt, nothing even bad, Deianira always had a smile or compliment to hand as they held simulations and meetings, but it felt wrong.

And she hated the feeling so much. It was too human an emotion for her AI core to process.

She also should break the news to Spencer. He should know the power keg that could possibly go off. It was not going to make him happy, she knew it wouldn't. But she was glad to actually see him in person again rather than feeling like a dog chained to a short leash.

Melody of course greeted him with all due respect and waited until they were alone before speaking.

"I almost forgot what you looked like Admiral." The joke was flat with an undertone of anxiety belying the usual confidence the AI normally had. "I do have a couple of things I need to tell you about but what did you need me for?"
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:02 am

Second Cylon War, Day 99

Admiral Spencer sighed heavily as he sank into one of the comfortable leather armchairs, gesturing for Melody to take a seat in the other one, before leaning into the side table and pulling out a bottle of ambrosia and two tumblers. After offering a glass to Melody, and pouring the emerald-coloured liquid as required, he took a sip before glancing back across at her. Despite the situation he found himself in, he had no desire to put her into a difficult situation of her own; the last thing he wanted to do was scuttle her career by setting her up for a confrontation with her immediate superior. Gods knew that as an AI in a nation that was, if it was possible, even more fanatical about hating AI than the Colonials, prior to the outbreak of the Second Cylon War anyway, she had enough obstacles to overcome. On the other hand, Spencer had to balance the very real considerations of the war effort against any other considerations, and the simple fact of the matter was that this damnable drug was a clear and present danger to the fleet, and had to be stopped before it could get out of hand.

“I need your advice on how to handle your Commodore; I know that she said that she was going to crack down on this mess, and from what I’ve heard she’s started, but the simple fact of the matter is that we are a week later and I’ve got a dead crewman on my hands,” Spencer said grimly. “Moreover, I am deeply concerned that in the space of two weeks we’ve gone from not having this drug amongst us Colonials at all, to the first death… from something that your Commodore claimed was not harmful in any physical way.”

Spencer sighed and shook his head.

“Even if we put the psychological impacts of the drug aside for a moment, and I’ve got concerns around that as well, given the distraction it could provide to my people, if this death is the first sign of physical side-effects, we’ve got a much deeper problem,” Spencer added grimly. “So, to be quite frank, I’ve got real concerns that the Commodore is willing or able act with the kind of urgency or proactiveness that we’re going to need to get ahead of this mess, and I would appreciate your insight, and your thoughts on how we can change that.”

Maxis Laudi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxis Laudi » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:20 am

Battlestar Acheron
Captain Melody Insaro

Melody passed on the ambrosia. "Please Admiral don't waste your special drink on me, I don't need it and sadly I haven't been programmed with the taste nor the proper reaction to its effects." She said. He knew what she was so explaining why she did certain things wasn't going to damn her anymore than someone pointing out she was an AI would.

As she listened to Spencer she frowned, sitting back in the chair to think about what was being asked of her. It made her uncomfortable but it spoke to the trust the admiral had in her.

"This... might seem like a bit of a tangent but I think it's related. One of the things I wanted to tell you was that progress into networking into the AI supporters among my fellows has been very slow. AI are not slow creatures by nature, we run our thoughts and interactions faster than any human could perceive. Given how many AI are serving in the Navy unless the Government Agency for AI Removal has recently swept the ships there should be some and I have met exactly one. That shouldn't even be possible because even if Deianira was purposefully building a fleet that is made of AI haters, which from what Audeamus says Deianira shouldn't have had input into the ships she got given her arrival time from Sol to Maxis Laudi and anyways, there's always some people talking about AI opinions. Hell we are out here to fight AI and I still can't get a solid read on who thinks what. I'm not the most intuitive person ever but I'm not that dense."

She wrung her hands in her lap. "The drug is new, so new as much as I mourn the loss of your crewman there's a good chance literally no one has had problems up until now apparently unless someone in Sol was having a problem and we never got the reports. Medical nanites are supposed to wash out of the bloodstream so it's the safest 'drug' you could ever take, allegedly." She didn't sound happy but she was just reciting what she knew of nanites. "As for what we can do, I'm not sure. Deianira has had us posting guarding on sick bay, medical checks for any unauthorized nanites, going over medical personnel with a fine toothed comb, even arrested some people that were involved in distribution on other ships. Other than cutting us off entirely or doing searches of our ships with your people I just…"

Melody trailed off, unsure how to say what she wanted to say. Part of her feeling guilty about going around Deianira and another part needing to tell someone.

"Look, Spencer," using even just his last name had an odd feeling to it. Like she was stepping over a line but she was already doing that so she might as well continue. "You know I'm an AI, I am, at my best, a pale imitation of the human form and function, there are a thousand tiny things I can't do that humans can. I have fears and even phobias based on past events, but never anything random or not experienced, I can eat, but like your ambrosia, if it's not programmed I can't taste it, it's always those things that set me apart, I'm sure if you look back you'll see it in the way I react to certain things but." She stopped to make a frustrated gesture. "Deianira gives me a bad feeling I cannot define it a way that makes my AI nature happy. In order to have a feeling about anything it needs to be in my code or knowledge. Like the 'headaches' that were my anti-virus fraying. I don't get headaches but my code didn't know how to respond to what was happening to my anti-virus so it tried to warn me by reacting strangely. This is like that. I talk to the the Commodore, I listen and nothing she does is wrong technically, her voice never seems snide, sarcastic or evil, if I was writing a report on her it would be perfectly satisfactory, but I always walk away feeling like she's doing something… not right, like," Melody groped for the right words "the hair on the back of my neck is standing up is the saying I think."

She was glad to get that off her chest but she still felt bad talking about the Commodore like that.
~2nd Gen AI Dax

The Blaatschapen wrote:

United Colonies of Kobol
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United Colonies of Kobol » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:33 am

Second Cylon War, Day 99

“So, your issue with the Commodore is the same as mine,” Admiral Spencer commented as he took a sip. “Your gut is telling you something is wrong.”

It certainly sounded like something strange was going on here; both in as far the Commodore’s decision to distance the Laudians from their new allies, even as they prepared to go into a fight together, and in the nature of the people that she had brought with her; exercising a power that a relatively low-ranking flag officer ought not to have held. As a Commander in the Colonial Fleet, Spencer had possessed the ability to request specific officers and senior enlisted, but it had always required the acceptance of Picon Fleet Headquarters, and an excessive number of appointments out of the norm would certainly have attracted attention. After all, although neither the Colonial Fleet nor any of its predecessors had any history of partaking in a military coup, the fact remained that the United Colonies of Kobol as a unified polity was only a little over half a century old, and it was just prudent to ensure that no one officer, or one colony, possessed an upper hand over any of the others. It was an unspoken precaution, as no one truly wanted to admit that such a thing might be possible (and really, it wasn’t all that likely), but it was there nevertheless.

In short, regardless of whether this was the Colonial Fleet or anything else, no one flag officer ought to have the ability to do what it seemed possible that the Commodore had done.

As far as the drug situation went, Spencer did not like to admit it but it was entirely possible that this was the first time someone had managed to overdose on the damned stuff, and that the Commodore was doing everything that she could (short of hamstringing the entire fleet) to prevent its spread. However, the fact remained that Spencer’s gut was telling him that something was amiss here, and it seemed that, despite being an AI, Melody was in a similar situation.

“So, we both agree that something is wrong with the Commodore, or at least that she might have some sort of ulterior motive,” Spencer commented, doing his best to provide Melody with at least a semblance of cover by making such a statement himself, which she could theoretically disavow if it came to it. “So the question we have now is what to do about it… as you say, in terms of actions she’s not technically done anything wrong, but the concern is there and that could be a problem… we could force the issue, take her into combat with us, but I hate the idea now knowing for sure that everyone behind me has my back.”

Spencer sighed and shook his head.

“I don’t know how else to bring matters to ahead,” Spencer grimaced. “Certainly not without putting you in even more of a difficult situation than I already have.”
Last edited by United Colonies of Kobol on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents